Before you write the story... (another discussion)

Tiana Calthye

Outline or seat of your pants?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Outline or seat of your pants?

• Outline it.
    • Just write.
    • Outline a bit ahead, but not to the end.
    • Know how it's going to end but not how to get there.

Before you start writing a story, do you outline it, or do you believe that an outline stiffles the creativity of a writer? If you outline, to what extent do you outline? I used to constantly write from the seat of my pants... okay, I still do. About halfway through, THEN I'll write the outline.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Planning is for fuzz nuts, come up with it as you go like the Obama administration.

Yeah, and the Obama administration sucks balls.

I write, but outline just a bit ahead as I'm going. Like, as I was writing Chapter 5 for Advent of Shadows, I have chapter 6 pretty much imagined, but just ideas and a vague track of where the story is going.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

For me, if I am going to write a story (and I have written several), I outline things in my head and generally know where I want to go and how I want to do it. Then, all I do is write it down and fill in the details. Then, I go back and fill it in and edit it and refine it further.

Finally, I do a final edit for little details that I thought of but want to reference or foreshadow them earlier in the world. Things like a plot that I came up with near the end and I want to put in clues or developments earlier to make it flow smoothly. Once that is all done, I submit it or store it, whatever I am going to do with it.

I retconned in a couple more poll options. >_> Sorry.

I still tend to write by the seat of my pants, which leads to inconsistancies, especially when I'm publishing a story online as it goes. I try now to know how it's going to end before I go, but half the time I don't. I just post them online so that people pressure me to keep writing.

Do you guys think your stories would be better if you wrote differently? I think mine would lose something, because a lot of my interesting ideas come from just rolling with whatever and seeing what happens. I guess it's no good to read, though, since I usually post first drafts.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I just post them online so that people pressure me to keep writing.

That's exactly why I love having a stickied thread, in all seriousness. The reason I made a big announcement about my AoS story before I started posting the actual story was to give me a big reason to force myself to write. Since I sort of committed beforehand, I had to go through with it, and it's been a great experience since.

Glad you added, and glad I didn't vote initially.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

I am with you, LAP. When I was writing my first attempted novel, that I had a buddy that constantly wanted to read it was motivation to work on it. He enjoyed it, but eventually I had to give it up for many reasons.

Now, I am trying to get support and people interested so that I can build motivation to get started. This will be a big project, one that will involve a lot of behind the scenes stuff even before I start actually writing the book. I hope to get it published some day, but who knows?

I sometimes outline, sometimes not. I find the story changes direction as it goes anyway, often deviating from the outline.

I agree with you Travis, on the motivation thing- it makes me so much more motivated to write if I know people are going to read it.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

I usually plan a bit, but not to the end. That's for most stories. Others I write other ways. For example, for both Hope's Battle and Twinkling of an Eye, I had the whole thing outlined, then I filled it in with the story. There were a few little changes while I was writing it, but nothing major.

For my novel I'm working on, however, I just started writing by the seat of my pants, then decided I really liked the idea and wanted to continue with it, then sat down and outlined. However, it's gone through several major morphs in the past few years, each time adding more detail to what I want to see.

Most of my one-shots are writing by the seat of my pants.

So I guess for me it just depends. I like each way for different reasons.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

I have a general outline- I know how I want my stories to begin, how I want them to end, and the truly major plotpoints I want hit along the way. After that, I take a bit of a seat of the pants method in flying from A to B to C, and such all the way to Z.

KVCsig.jpg

The monarch of madness has returned!

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since March 2002.]

[2nd in Command of the Lords of Hate since March 2002.]