Lord Ar-Pharazon

Star Wars: Advent of Shadows - Updated 9/19/2011

So im a neurotic Jedi. AWESOME.

I just mean Raynuk is really into music. He's still a totally good guy, and there's no way in hell that Ar-Pharazon could strum a harp as well as Raynuk could. There, I'm admitting a character flaw. Ar-Pharazon can't play the harp at all. At all.

Trust me, Raynuk is already a character I'm having a blast writing. Seriously... It sounds like people really identiy with the music element too. That's not a bad thing. Not bad at all...

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Silas, I'm eager to see what grammatical errors you were referring to.

That's actually what the first part of my post was referring to. They've already been pointed out, but they were so few and far in between that they didn't detract from the story in anyway.

Cadiosig052009.png

Cool, cool. Let me know. I am always interested in trying to make this the best work it can be. If anything really glaring stands out to you, please feel free to PM me or just post here. I will try to take care of it right away.

apeditname.jpg

Im glad you're having a blast writing this Ben, cuz clearly we're all having a blast reading it, especially those of us who have inspired characters in your story, even if its by name only.

1fE1uLv.png

I ate a hippo. It was delicious.

May the Forth therve you well...

So, uh...Hey Ben, when are you going to update this?

I was actually following a story as it was being posted for once and you ran out on us. I demand more.

silassig-1.jpg

Proud member of the JNET Addicts Club since November '05

If you call finals, a vacation, a new job, and moving to another country "running out" then fine. Trust me, I'm not abandoning the project. I'm certainly not doing that.

I promise I'm still working on this, but the last three or so weeks have just been busy. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

apeditname.jpg

You moved to another country?

silassig-1.jpg

Proud member of the JNET Addicts Club since November '05

I was abroad for a while, for vacation and whatnot, but don't worry about it.

apeditname.jpg

I read the first chapter of it. And loved it. I'll wait until tommorow to read the rest of the chapters, as I have work and I need to get to bed.

I like the pictures at the bottom though, they were a really nice touch. And your descriptions are great too! Can't wait to read the next chapter.

I'm waiting too Ben... hell, it is one of the reasons I check in every day to see if you have posted a new chapter.

"When in doubt, Get the Hell out!!!"

I'm really sorry. Life has just been extremely busy in the last few weeks. Here's the situation. I should have something up soon, because I sent the draft to my beta reader. As soon as she gets it back, I should have it up within a day. In the meantime, here's a preview:

BLCKCLONE.jpg

?

Position: Jedi Master

Species: Wookiee

apeditname.jpg

Chapter Four: The Four Horsemen

The Wookiee Jedi Master Gantoris studied the fine décor of Hale Akturus’s private apartment. Bulky golden lamps hung aflame, suspended from the lofty, vaulted ceilings. Extensive corridors and arched doorways led to greater chambers still. Even the walls were sophisticatedly paneled with a dark, polished wood featuring a collection of hand-painted tapestries. Higher up, a plethora of hanging banners caught Gantoris’s eye. Each one signified a different star system that Hale had visited during his tenure as the lead diplomat of the Jedi Order. There were too many to count.

The room itself was a faultless reflection of Hale Akturus, whose wizened features and trim gray beard exemplified great dignity.

Blazing fires from twin hearths, each situated on opposing ends of the room, provided a desirable contrast from the cold winds on the balcony above. Four gilded chairs, one larger than the others, were positioned around an unusually long table. Seated at one end of the table was Hale, obviously anxious to begin. Ar-Pharazon sat at the other end, quiet and emotionless. Lounging in his oversized chair, Gantoris glanced down at his own clear reflection in the shiny white floor, carefully listening as Hale repeated what he had told him.

“As I said before, old friend,” said Hale Akturus. “Our meetings are not to be spoken of publically, and even among present company, only with the utmost discretion. Do you understand?”

Trying to keep his voice down, Gantoris replied with a low roar, indicating compliance.

“Most excellent,” said Hale. “Since you and Ar-Pharazon are both present, we will begin when Jidai Geki arrives. He should be along any-”

“Salutations, my fellow escape artists,” announced Jidai Geki, unconcernedly interrupting Hale. As the hissing door automatically slid shut behind him, he strode into the chamber, making his way to the lengthy table which stood in the center of the room. He took his seat across from Gantoris. “The entirety of the Jedi Council congregates above, in commemoration of our new, hallowed Grandmaster.” There was obvious mockery in his voice. “Whilst you three, and now myself – for whatever reason, remain hidden here like crates of spice, stowed away, hoping to remain unseen. Certainly this smacks of conspiracy. Wouldst you agree?”

Smacks of conspiracy? Who says that? Gantoris thought that as oddly as Geki had phrased it, the old man was right. Something was suspicious about the circumstances surrounding this meeting.

“Well, quite frankly, it does smack of conspiracy when you blather on about it like that, considering we have yet to shield ourselves,” said Ar-Pharazon, who set a small comlink on the table.

“Ar-Pharazon is correct, my old friend,” added Hale. “You must be slipping.” He immediately reached out, forging a connection with the Force, totally immersing himself in it. Gantoris could feel it, as an aura surrounded him, and then quickly expanded throughout the room, creating a ward against unwanted listeners. Then, with a flick of Hale’s hand, the hanging lamps grew noticeably dimmer. “Now then,” said Hale. “I am glad that you have all answered my call. We have much to discuss.”

“What of Vladimir Faust?” said Geki. “I was under the impression that he was to be trusted. Why is he not here?”

“He was considered, for a time. But, it appears that our hallowed Grandmaster has chosen Faust as his second-in-command,” said Ar-Pharazon. “And thus, he is compromised.”

“Then it wouldst appear as such,” acquiesced Geki. “Although, I ‘m sure Faust is far from pleased – playing second fiddle to one such as Tinova.”

“Only time will tell,” replied Ar-Pharazon. “Now let’s proceed. Gantoris needs to understand what we’re all about.”

The Wookiee let out a growl of agreement.

“It is no secret,” said Ar-Pharazon, with a solemn pause, “that our vision of the Jedi Order differs significantly from Adi-Wan Tinova’s. So with that in mind, let me further preface our discussion with a simple request. I ask that you willingly hear us out, and seriously consider our position before making any hasty judgments.”

Gantoris thought the request was fair enough and agreed. This should be interesting.

“It is in our best interests – or those of the Jedi Order rather – that we maintain a vigilant watch over him,” said Ar-Pharazon. “We must; as we did with his predecessor, Neh Raven, whose leadership turned out less than stellar.”

The large grin on Geki’s face nearly split his face in two at the mention of Master Raven.

“The public has no idea how narrow the Council’s election was,” said Ar-Pharazon. “I would not consider a vote of six to five any sort of sweeping mandate. Know gentlemen, that we are in the minority, but not without recourse, and certainly not without right reason to maintain a close watch. Our vigilance is precisely what this meeting is about, Gantoris, and you have been invited because we’re aware that you also voted against his nomination.”

The Wookiee’s eyes widened with the realization. How had they known? Immediately, Gantoris’s thoughts harkened back to three nights previous, when the Masters of the Jedi Council met, to vote for their new Grandmaster. From their respective seats, they cast their votes with handheld units – manufactured by Jidai Geki. Clever. Real clever.

Suddenly Gantoris understood that this meeting concerned more than just keeping watch on the Grandmaster. Ar-Pharazon was right about another thing, too. It was no secret that these men dissented frequently against the Grandmaster. Gantoris’s opposition had been a secret, until – apparently – three nights ago, since Hale did invite him, presuming him a like-minded individual. While not a fan of Adi-Wan Tinova, Gantoris was sure that his reasons were different from those of the other men present, but eager to discover more, he replied to Ar-Pharazon with a blunt roar, questioning the need for the meeting’s secrecy.

“That is also complicated. Publically dissenting from a majority of the Council and a new Grandmaster is no easy task – at least not at the current time. We are confident though, that Adi-Wan, like his predecessor, will inevitably err, creating conditions more conducive for us.

“Our conditions, Ar-Pharazon? What is our situation?” said Geki.

“Once again; it’s complicated,” said Ar-Pharazon. “The situation with Tinova grows more complex each day.”

“I’m afraid that’s correct,” said Hale. “And it seems that the Force has spoken to us once again.”

“What? Have you had another foretelling?” said Geki.

“Indeed,” said Hale. “Not more than an hour ago.”

“It’s precisely why Hale and I summoned you both,” said Ar-Pharazon.

That announcement had been a surprise. Gantoris knew that Hale Akturus possessed the power to foresee future events through the Force, but had never actually discussed it with him. Most Jedi could sense disturbances and sudden movements before they would happen, but Hale’s ability was more refined, with great clarity of events far into the future.

“Well, carry on,” said Geki, impatiently.

“As we all know: through the Force, one can see many things,” said Hale. He closed his eyes and paused for a moment, before continuing. “And cutting to the point of the matter – it does not bode well.”

“You must tell us, Hale,” said Geki. “Spare no details.”

“Of course, old friend. I have seen the galaxy itself in great turmoil and strife. A great blackness will envelop it. What this blackness is, I cannot say, for it remained very unclear. It was not apparent, nor familiar to me in any way. Most striking of all is that our new Grandmaster, Adi-Wan Tinova stands at its center. Prior to tonight, I knew that Adi-Wan was involved on some level, but now I believe he may even be responsible. Around him, this strife will deal the Jedi Order a great blow.”

“Indeed, that is troubling,” said Geki. “What can we do to work against this? Perhaps there is time to counter it, if we act now.”

“No,” said Ar-Pharazon. “That is a mindset worth losing, Geki. If it’s the future, then it’s set – permanently. Those who seek to undo prophecy are fools. It’s a hard-learned lesson, but a steadfast rule. However, we are not without some options.”

“Options? What say you?” said Geki.

“Well, we must be prepared, militarily and technologically. Unless Gantoris refuses, he is in a great position to oversee the training of the Jedi Knights. Certainly conflict and strife are not new to the galaxy or the Jedi Order. Tonight we heard Montar sing about our valiant predecessors. Tacky songs, but true nonetheless. I often wonder how history will remember us. Will we be remembered for our great contributions? Will we stand against this coming darkness, this advent of shadows? As Jedi, we cannot let the galaxy face this challenge unprepared. It is our duty.”

“I agree entirely,” said Hale. “An inventory of our military capabilities will commence at once. In fact, Adi-Wan will probably request it anyway.”

“Splendid,” said Geki. “The future of our Order will be heavily entwined in nanotechnology. I promise you that, and take my word; we’ve made great strides. But, what about Adi-Wan? Wouldst it be wise to discuss these matters with him?”

“That’s difficult to say,” said Ar-Pharazon. “Our opposition is no secret to the rest of the Council. Imagine if we approached him, speaking of an irrefutable prophecy saying he was the cause of some massive war, and that only by having him step aside can we save the galaxy. It would be seen as highly irregular. I think we should, perhaps, wait until more unfolds.”

“I agree,” said Hale. “We are simply not in a position to tell Adi-Wan. At least, not yet.”

A small comlink sitting on the table in front of Ar-Pharazon erupted into a series of beeps.

“I have to be off,” said Ar-Pharazon, glaring at the device, frustrated. “The wife, more than likely.” He immediately redirected his attention to Gantoris. “But first, Master Wookiee, do we find ourselves in agreement?”

Gantoris replied in nodding agreement. Throughout the meeting he felt a disturbance in the Force, on some level, and he wondered if any of the others had felt it too. Regardless, this was the best way to go about investigating it. Ar-Pharazon smiled at his nod, obviously enthusiastic about what had been established.

“Good. We are done then,” said Ar-Pharazon, rising from his chair. “For the sake of our future meetings, when circumstances require strong secrecy, you will be known as Black Clone. Geki is Red Knight and Hale is White Shadow. I am Blue Rogue. Keep these names in mind. From this night forward, we are the Four Horsemen.”

Without waiting for a response, Ar-Pharazon grabbed the comlink from the table and proceeded out of Jidai Geki’s apartment.

NEW CHARACTER:

scaled.php?server=221&filename=gantoris.png&res=medium

Gantoris

Position: Jedi Master

Species: Wookiee

Edited by Guest

apeditname.jpg

You naughty plotters.

Will have a more intelligent review when my comp stops crashing.

ilikegreenguyscopy.jpg

Darsha Assant turned dark at 2734 posts.

Will have a more intelligent review when my comp stops crashing.

Please do. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say. (And everyone else for that matter.)

apeditname.jpg

Simply glorious. I love how they're very briefly making fun of Geki's speech habits.

I love the series of opening paragraphs to this. Wow. What an... IMPROVMENT from when you started. The pacing is perfect, it breathes nicely.

I find it wonderfully facinating how different characters respond to prophecies.

Anyway, really well done, you did a great job with this chapter.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I want more....

That's what she said.

More to come... I promise you...

apeditname.jpg

Excellent work, Ben. I agree with Tiana that you have improved drastically. The pacing in this section was perfect, and you described their reactions perfectly.

I can tell Gantoris doesn't quite know what to make of this yet...and as an outsider I can always tell that there is a possiblity of these plotters becoming the very threat they feel is coming...

Nice use of Black Clone for Gantoris' nickname.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

All right Ben, what's the hold up? gosh! seriously though, you're doing very well, and the only reason i pop up every now and again is because of this story, but gosh darn it! i gotta have something to read!

Being a Jedi Master ain't easy but someone's got to do it.

I'm sorry. My summer is incredibly busy, but if it's any consolation, I got a big part of the next chapter done today. Hopefully it'll be done very soon.

To Tarrian: Read and find out!

Thanks for reading, ya'll. I appreciate it very, very much. Sadly, I write very, very slow, and I know that's lame, but it's just a long process for me, among a very, very busy summer.

Soon... more to come...

apeditname.jpg