Star Wars: Advent of Shadows - Updated 9/19/2011

Lord Ar-Pharazon

Ben, this is great. The only comment I would make at this point is on the dialogue. Your portrayal of Ar-Pharazon and Krystal is very well put-together, however, I didn't get fourteen-year-old girl out of Chazi's dialogue. I don't know if you were going for that as the stylization of the character, but your avoidance of contractions in her speech gives the impression of solemnity or at least a great deal of formality. So, things to think about, I suppose.

In other news, continue.

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...

Though I don't find the formality style unfitting, at least for a Jedi youngling who wants to come across as being older than she is, at least. AP and Krystal are definately my favorite characters, though, and I always enjoy their interaction.

Write more soon.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks both of you! I'm glad to see positive feedback. I'm working on the next section as we speak. I even got some more done today. I've been working a lot on "big picture" type stuff too lately, which I know doesn't exactly mean much to the readers now, but I have to dedicate time and energy to that too. I've got quite a bit planned, and I'm a stickler for continuity.

Yeah, I thought Chazi was perhaps overly formal in this part, since she was essentially "in trouble," and I promise that such formalities will melt away when she's in casual settings. That's for sure. I'll try to keep that in mind though. In general, would you have expected more sass? Would it have been better to have included more of her thoughts, which might run contrary with what she was saying, in order for her to avoid trouble?I guess it's fair to say that she's somewhat of a spark plug, so I should have tried to get her personality fleshed out more in a way that made that obvious.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's safe to say I would have expected more sass, yes, but mostly she seemed very collected and organized for one in her situation. Having been a fourteen-year-old girl somewhat recently in my life (ehhhh five years, close enough), I know that when I was in trouble I was never that articulate, but rather stumbling through thoughts going a million miles per hour and attempting to pick out the ones that seemed most likely to divert wrath.

53bzzl2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Eight: A Matter of Concentration

“I can’t say I’ve ever seen a youngling with such tenacity,” muttered Ar-Pharazon, who surveyed the broken remains of the destroyer droid strewn about the training room’s durasteel floor. Abruptly, he thrust his hands out. The ruined scraps whirled about into the air and whipped around like a miniature twister. With an invisible push, he flung the pieces far off to the side, effectively clearing the center of the chamber.

He turned around, facing Krystal. Scanning her face, he thought he knew what she was thinking – likely the same thing he was thinking. “Or one quite so powerful.”

“Did you feel it?” asked Krystal. Excitement shone in her eyes. “There is tremendous strength in the girl.”

Ar-Pharazon nodded. “I felt it.”

“Well, I was beginning to wonder,” Krystal said with a measure of sarcasm. “You seemed far more interested in chiding her than anything else.”

“That’s fair,” he admitted. “Young Starkiller is more than aware of her power. She doesn’t need my affirmations. She needs discipline and obedience, and, dare I say, humility? For a Jedi, those are dangerous deficiencies.”

“I can see your point,” said Krystal. She paused, obviously pondering the matter intently. “But I think she needs training – and real training, not just the lessons from the youngling curriculum. Most of all, though, she needs a good master.”

“So, you intend to train her yourself?” asked Ar-Pharazon. It was obvious what Krystal was getting at.

“Of course. Who else would suffice?”

“Lei Kim Ness, perhaps?” Ar-Pharazon suggested, more to see his wife’s reaction than anything else. Krystal would not let the matter rest until Chazi was formally made her Padawan.

“Lei?” replied Krystal with a bemused look. “She is a powerful Jedi, but not the best fit for Chazi. I can better instruct her in saber combat. I’m certain of that. And now I’m invested in this. Surely the Council will see it.”

“No doubt they will,” said Ar-Pharazon. “Chazi will learn a great deal from you.”

“Thank you,” she said, smiling almost triumphantly. Krystal’s voice rang with excitement. “I’ve got a good feeling about the girl and I intend to bring this before the Council shortly. If Adi-Wan has major changes in store for the Order, it will be easier if I act right away.”

“That’s true. And I’m sure that they will defer to your judgment.”

“There’s no reason to think otherwise,” she confidently replied.

“Good, then,” he said. “I’m glad you’re content, but we came here for another reason.”

He remembered why they had come into the training facility in the first place. He planned to teach her a new ability – the power to shape the very Force itself into a flame. He had spent months with the technique, and was only now completely comfortable with it. Teaching it to someone else was an entirely different matter. He had a means to simply impart the lesson, however.

“This exercise will be easier if you maintain a clear mind,” he said. That was the easy part. He paused for a moment, taking a breath before adding what he really wanted to say. “However, I want to use a Force meld.” That was the tricky part.

Before she could react, he continued again. “It will be far easier if you can actually experience what I’m doing, rather than having me try to explain it to you.” It was simple enough, as he understood it, but he felt her apprehension. “Are you comfortable with that?”

“I am,” she replied, after a brief moment of hesitation. “If you, of course, are certain that you know what you are doing. Force melds are reputably dangerous and I’ve never taken part in one.”

“Well, having been in a few before, I assure you that everything will be fine. They require concentration and patience – essentially nothing different from any other Force exercise. They’re nothing that adept Force users, such as us, need shy away from. I too remember my hesitation when Hale first walked me through a meld, and we were linked with Geki too. That was far more complex than this would be and I was only a Jedi Knight back then. I promise you, Krystal, I can guide you through one if you trust me.” He knew what to expect, having been linked with other Jedi before, but describing that sensation with words was useless. The benefits though, were innumerable.

“I do,” she said, meeting his eyes. “I trust you.” A comforted smile appeared on her face.

“Good,” he said softly. “We’ll ease into it.” He closed his eyes. “The first thing that I’ll do is embrace the Force.” So he did, as he had done thousands of times before. He could feel the mystical power, like the heat of suns, softly beating down upon him. He took a deep breath and let the invisible energy flow around him and through him. “Now, prepare to grasp it too, but don’t – if that makes sense. Hold yourself on the very verge of the embrace.”

“All right,” she replied, sounding confused.

Opening his eyes, he looked at her face. It was the very portrait of serenity. Her eyes were closed, as she stood deep in thought, apparently ready to enter into the Force meld. If she had any worries, her concentration showed otherwise.

“In a moment I will reach out to you,” said Ar-Pharazon. “Stay open to the Force, but on the brink, and do not embrace. Not yet.” He took another deep breath, feeling the Force still whirling around him. He knew that Krystal must have felt it around him too, even if just a semblance of what he felt. He prepared to reach out and pull her in. “Get ready.” He looked at her again and clutched her hands with his own. She was concentrating deeply, as sweat beaded on her forehead. He was certain that any hesitancy she may have had had fled. He could feel that she was fully immersed in the exercise – as ready as she would ever be. “Now, open yourself to the Force.” he told her. “Grasp it!”

He could feel her immediate connection to the Force, as he would with any other Jedi in close proximity, but all of a sudden he felt a stronger, more intimate union with her. He reached out, with all his effort, and pulled her connection with the Force into his own. It was like pulling someone out of water. Immediately, emotion flooded into his mind, as if a great dam had burst. Her emotion. It felt like he was imagining it, but it was too real and vivid. The Force meld had taken, and he could feel his wife’s presence in a wholly new way.

Krystal knew nothing of what to expect until she was instantly aware of Ar-Pharazon, in the same way she was aware of her own emotions. She could sense his mind and thoughts. They were calm and cool and his temperament was logical, if not overly systematic. In that moment, he wanted nothing more than for her to succeed with the Force meld. She could feel his love, and intense focus, balancing the activity at hand with his newly enhanced sense of her too.

I promised you that everything would be fine, he said, like an imaginary voice in the back of her head, yet one that was very real.

You did, she thought. And you were right.

A strong sense of awe overcame her. She found that she could feel Ar-Pharazon’s body, similarly to how she could feel her own. They were standing, holding hands, and she could feel their embrace, as both herself and as him. Emotions flooded through her mind, and thus through Ar-Pharazon’s too. She knew that he could feel her intense determination to focus on the meld, while allowing the newfound sensations to resonate within her. She wanted to absorb as much as she could from the meld. It was a new level of existence, a new way to feel the world, and feel her husband too. It was irresistible, yet overwhelming. The immense reality that she was part of something greater, of tremendous power, and yet fragile, set in on her. She knew that Ar-Pharazon could feel her being overwhelmed, and it began to frustrate her, as she had promised to trust him.

As I said, this couldn’t have been explained. You had to experience it yourself. And don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to you.

I believe you. I’ve never trusted you more than I do right now. I feel so close to you. He felt cautious, and she did not understand why. The meld did not allow one to understand the other participant’s reasoning, but merely the specific emotions held at the time. Even so, she was delighted to feel protected. His concomitant presence was unbelievably reassuring. She felt tremendously close to him, as he seemingly recognized and received her every thought. He remained calm and collected, and through him, she began to as well.

“You’re doing very well,” Ar-Pharazon said aloud.

Krystal’s eyes opened and widened in surprise. She had almost forgotten conventional conversation, being so immersed in the Force meld.

If you’re able to maintain concentration, he thought. Don’t get swept away.

“I’m trying to stay focused,” Krystal said. But this is all so overwhelming. So drastically different than anything else.

“It is,” said Ar-Pharazon. At first. But you’re doing fine. “So, let’s keep going.”

For a moment, she only looked at him, still feeling awed by the entire experience. She was anxious to learn to conjure fire with the Force, but she was finding the meld to be an exciting distraction. She tried to regain her attention, and refocus her fluttering concentration, which turned out to be easier than she thought, since he remained so calm and collected. “All right,” she said. “Proceed.”

Ar-Pharazon released one of her hands and quickly took a step back. Don’t let go, though, he thought. Our meld will hold stronger.

With his newly freed hand, he channeled the small plume of flame, as she remembered seeing the night before on the balcony. Again, it sprang up from his palm. The flame leapt up, taller than before and grew brighter than she had originally recalled. After a few seconds, the fire disappeared. He made it look effortless.

Krystal immediately felt what he was doing and knew exactly how he was doing it. He was actually stirring up the air around his hand, heating it with the Force, and then maintaining it in place with a mental grasp. Despite never trying it herself, and only seeing it done once before, it made perfect, simple sense to her. There was nothing sinister about it either, unlike the infamous lightning attacks of the Sith. She felt how Ar-Pharazon managed to protect his hand with the Force too, in order to avoid burning himself. Krystal was nearly dumbfounded by how easy it seemed. Like with the Force meld, the fire was just a matter of concentration.

What a clever husband I have, she thought, immediately feeling his amusement following her reaction.

“You try it now,” he suggested.

“Gladly,” she said, with a brisk confidence. Extending her free hand, she replicated the same plume of fire without skipping a beat, and after a brief moment, it too quickly dissipated.

“Excellent,” said Ar-Pharazon. “You are a fast learner.”

“Thank you,” she said. “So, what now?”

“Now, Krystal,” he said, taking a deep breath. “We stop. We’re done.”

What? “Why are we stopping now, Ar-Pharazon?” Before receiving a response, Krystal could feel the meld speedily fading away. In mere seconds, the extrasensory awareness receded as the Force grasp that her husband had maintained quickly loosened. That loosening was the last thing she felt through him. After that, her mind and body, and her senses too, became her own once again. She might as well have been waking up from a dream. It was disorienting. She still felt the Force around her and her husband, but for the first frustrating time, it did not seem very extraordinary – in comparison to the intensity of the meld. “Why did we stop? That was incredible! I learned in mere seconds what would normally have taken countless lessons.”

“That’s precisely what you’ve done,” he said.

“But why did you have to break it off so suddenly?” she asked. “I was rather enjoying it.”

“And enjoying reading my mind too, I’m sure?” he inquired, smiling.

Krystal’s face went red.

“We attained what we set out to do,” said Ar-Pharazon, “and it’s not safe to push the limits. A Force meld creates a strong bond, but one capable of destroying both our minds, should we lose concentration or should the meld become unstable. It is wise to exit when the chance presents itself.”

“Were we in danger?” Krystal did not necessarily think so, but she trusted her husband – as trying as that could be sometimes.

“Perhaps not, but I don’t want to risk it,” he said. “It’s like flying through an asteroid field. For a time, it might be safe, but only with the strictest precaution, and before long, it’s best to get out before one strikes your ship.”

“So, it’s juggling fire?” she asked, managing a smile.

“You could say that,” he replied with an amused smile of his own. “But it is a dangerous balance.”

“Well, you learned to juggle fire,” she said. And now, so have I.

“Then perhaps someday I will learn to hold a meld indefinitely, without danger.” He gave her a stern look, which shifted into a grin. “But until that day comes, I won’t risk it. It’s not worth disintegrating our minds.”

“All right. I get your point.” Had she been in his position, she might not have stopped the meld so promptly, but she was cautious. She did after all gain the ability to conjure fire – for what that was worth. But the Force meld! Wow. The sensation was exhilarating and as indescribable as her husband had mentioned. Still holding one of his hands, she moved in closer. “Well, we’ve covered a lot this morning. Let’s go enjoy the rest of our free day. There is no need to spend it all indoors.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” said Ar-Pharazon.

Edited by Guest

apeditname.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I want to thank everyone that voted for my story in the 2009 Fanfic Awards. It feels good just to be nominated, but it feels truly great to take home the hardware, so to speak, and in three different categories too! So, thank you, for the following awards:

• Best Original Character: Ar-Pharazon (Jedi Master)
    Best Star Wars Fan Fiction: Star Wars: Advent of Shadows
    Best Story of 2009: Star Wars: Advent of Shadows

Like I said before, I think this is one of your best chapters yet.

Thank you very much, Ami. Writing about the Force meld proved challenging, so it took a while to get it wrapped up, and I was fairly nervous until it was finished, since I've never written about such an in-depth Force technique before. I wanted to make sure it sounded sharp. It was tough to work through, but I have to admit that it was fun too, and as I look at the chapter, I think it's my best too. Let me firmly promise that Force melds will be back. There's just too much potential with them to toss them aside now.

I should thank handofthrawn too, for suggesting the idea of Force melds as a way for Jedi to link together. It came up big.

Also, I'm working on the next part as we speak. I'll hopefully have it out sooner than later. Here's a little preview of what's ahead:

Taren.png

Taren Hornbeck

Position: Jedi Master/Prefect of the Jedi Temple

Species: Human

apeditname.jpg

*Crawls out of the swamps to actually post something*

Very good work, as always!

ANd I gotta say about Chazi--you nailed her square on the head, I think. I think her level of formality, articulation and nervousness were perfect for the kind of person she is. I think more sass would have made her just plain reckless. :3

LeNin-1.jpg

I feel bad that I've not read this, especially as it's now won BEST STORY (again, well done on that Ben!) So I'm going to work on reading it tonight and tomorrow.

I've just read (re-read I discovered..seems I had read the first but not come back for more) the first post. Very clever way of introducing a large number of characters without it being boring.

Will post more as I read more.

Member of Jnet Addict Club 12/05

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

Sorry for the double post. Just finished reading this, and I can see why you won the three awards you did.

Ihave to agree, the last chapter was easily the best, and it flowed beautifully. You have some great sections all through though. I won't critique the earlier chapters, they've already been done.

I really like where you're going with this. You've set up some nice foreshadowing events, that are nice and easy for everyone to see, but theres a lot of subtley in there as well. The relationship between Krissi and AP has been wonderfully executed thus far, and leaves the reader feeling they've seen an intimate relationship, but tactfully and classily.

I look forward to reading more.

Member of Jnet Addict Club 12/05

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

It's a wonderful story--you've heard my thoughts on the chapters repeatedly, so I have so little to say here, but I can only agree that it earned the awards. For one it's the only notable fic being updated regularly at the moment (HM) but it's well written, a bit like the golden days of fanfic with epic longform stories... but dare I say, a read of the likes rarely seen.

I see people who never post in fanfic crawl out from lurking to review it and it's earned those reviews, and those awards.

We all eagerly await the next chapter. Though you'd be hardpressed to outdo this one. Intimate, foreshadowing... both appealing to those who like romance and those who're just reading KNOWING AP's going to turn to the dark side at some time.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

My character finally gets to show up! Yay! huzzah! so... what happened to Dakin, my friend? and are you going to bring the others in and when?

by the by, great chap! sorry i was out cuz my internet fizzled and all that jazz but it's back now!

Being a Jedi Master ain't easy but someone's got to do it.

*Crawls out of the swamps to actually post something*

Very good work, as always!

ANd I gotta say about Chazi--you nailed her square on the head, I think. I think her level of formality, articulation and nervousness were perfect for the kind of person she is. I think more sass would have made her just plain reckless. :3

Thank you, Chazi. I appreciate your kind words about this latest set of parts. It's good to know that you thought your character was spot on. It's tough to get it accurate, since it's been such a long time since many of these characters were around in the RP.

My character finally gets to show up! Yay! huzzah! so... what happened to Dakin, my friend? and are you going to bring the others in and when?

Thanks Taren! It's good to see you around here again. I intentionally posted that picture of your character, hoping it would be a magnet for a Taren siting. I guess it worked! Dakin is still around. She won't feature for a little while down the road, but she will be back. Tanya will be too. She's going to show up a few chapters later as well. I've got extensive plans for Dakin, Taren, and Tanya. I think you'll be surprised how some of them end up. It should be fun.

It's a wonderful story--you've heard my thoughts on the chapters repeatedly, so I have so little to say here, but I can only agree that it earned the awards. For one it's the only notable fic being updated regularly at the moment (HM) but it's well written, a bit like the golden days of fanfic with epic longform stories... but dare I say, a read of the likes rarely seen.

I see people who never post in fanfic crawl out from lurking to review it and it's earned those reviews, and those awards.

We all eagerly await the next chapter. Though you'd be hardpressed to outdo this one. Intimate, foreshadowing... both appealing to those who like romance and those who're just reading KNOWING AP's going to turn to the dark side at some time.

Thank you, Tiana. Your comments are always appreciated. One of the reasons why I know some people read my story is because of the inclusion of so many characters from the RP. So, this next chapter is going to be all about the Jedi Council, in its entirety. So, we're looking at twelve classic characters, all thrown into this one, big scene. Some of them we've seen in previous chapters, such as Hale Akturus and Jidai Geki, but some are new with this chapter, such as Taren and Vladimir Faust. Hopefully, it'll bring even more oldbies out of ”œthe lurk.”

apeditname.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
As am I. I understand you have more pressing family commitment at the moment though Ben.

Yeah, I do.

I'm glad all of you are interested. I should be able to get back to work in just a couple more days. Though, just to throw it out there, I had a death in the family, and the funeral has been prolonged to aid family coming in from very long distances. That, and school, has dominated my schedule lately.

Life just loves putting up obstacles.

apeditname.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.... where'd everyone go?

Listens *crikee! crikee!* I think i hear.... no wait...

AP! We need more story! i wanna know what you're planning for my character!

Being a Jedi Master ain't easy but someone's got to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ben, I think my favorite thing about this whole story is the intricacies of your character studies. You've really given a lot of thought to each individual character and writing from their perspective, rather than the omniscient third person, lends itself to reality of emotion in the narrative.

Well done, ol' chap.

53bzzl2.png

• 2 weeks later...
Ben, I think my favorite thing about this whole story is the intricacies of your character studies. You've really given a lot of thought to each individual character and writing from their perspective, rather than the omniscient third person, lends itself to reality of emotion in the narrative.

Well done, ol' chap.

Thank you, Jaina. Those character intricacies make writing this story a whole lot more fun. I want each character to have a great deal of personality and individual voice, to make each one as memorable as possible, while enhancing the various points of view that I use in each chapter.

Epic story man, I've read alot of it. Pretty sweet, I hope that once your life settles down again you can delight us with more.

I really appreciate the comments, Delta. Thanks for reading my story.

Taren is waiting for the next chapter!

AP! We need more story! i wanna know what you're planning for my character!

Then Taren's wait is over. I really apologize for that wait. I know it's been a while, but I've had an eventful few months behind me, with a busy summer, and it's great to finally be able to again focus on writing. For those that have followed my story, I am very grateful, and I promise to update as frequently as I possibly can.

So without further delay...

Chapter Nine: What the Future Holds

Dark stone walls reached up toward the lofty ceiling of the Room of a Thousand Fountains. An extensive network of long ramping catwalks, bridges, and twisting stairs wove impressively around the festooned gardens, connecting the ground level with the countless entrances to the expansive enclosure. Vines encircled the bright marble columns that ran alongside the paved paths throughout the ground level and supported the catwalks high above. Waterfalls flowed all along the outer walls, while fountains trickled perpetually in the center of a lush jungle of exotic plants, green trees, and rocky pools.

Peering down from a railed colonnade, Krystal could feel the serenity enveloping her as she savored the fresh aroma of blossoming flowers. For as long as she had been stationed on Coruscant, she sought the Room of a Thousand Fountains as a source of calm. However, she was not the only Jedi who sought calm amidst the fountains. She could see many others walking along the paths and sitting near the fountains. As a member of the Council, she had privileged access to a particular terrace which sat higher than the rest. She often wondered why it seemed she was the only one using it. Not that she was complaining.

Knowing she had a few spare moments, Krystal grasped the railing with her hands and closed her eyes. She felt completely at peace within the Room of a Thousand Fountains.

Embracing the Force, she fully experienced the rich scent of the flora and the purity of the flowing water. The intense serenity of the chamber became magnified. She basked in the warmth of the light side of the Force – a pure goodness that never needed renewal. It affirmed her and provided the tranquility she required as a Jedi. It was true inspiration, come alive.

Her mind was like a flower petal, floating upon the calmest sea. There was not the slightest semblance of turbulence or any indication of commotion. She was just adrift. Her mind focused considerably on the Force and the Jedi Order. She thought about her husband: his hopes, his dreams, and of their future together. She pondered the current events in the galaxy, and of Adi-Wan Tinova and the other members of the Jedi Council.

Several minutes passed before Krystal felt a familiar presence approaching. At that, she began to relinquish the sensation. She felt like she was washing ashore, and as she settled, her senses again centered on the sweet aroma of flowers. She took a deep breath.

“There you are,” said a voice that Krystal immediately recognized as Taren Hornbeck’s.

Krystal’s eyes opened as she relaxed her grip on the railing. She turned around slowly. “Good evening, Taren.”

As the Prefect, within the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, Taren Hornbeck was the second in authority to the Grandmaster. Outside the temple, Vladimir Faust was the second in authority, but Krystal preferred dealing with Taren, since they were old friends. Amusingly enough, Taren’s apparent insistence on upholding the dignity and traditions of her newfound office was usually enough to send Ar-Pharazon into a frenzy. Suppressing a smirk, she could hear her husband’s would-be rant. He considered Taren a glorified secretary – that, and nothing more. Krystal wished that he could see Taren now. She was a tall graceful woman, who wore her polished white cuirass, a symbol of her office. Most of her long red hair was worked into one thick braid. Her emerald eyes exhibited her confidence and dignity. Despite what Ar-Pharazon thought, for whatever dense reason, Taren was the very portrait of integrity. She was a fine Prefect of the Jedi Temple… Or even just glorified secretary.

Taren came to stand beside her, with her hands holding the railing. “Greetings, Krystal. I hope I have not interrupted you. I felt the Force stirring around you as I arrived.”

“Certainly not,” said Krystal reassuringly. “I’ve been anxious to speak with you. I was just passing the time.” It was always easy to pass time in the Room of a Thousand Fountains. “And there’s always time for good friends.”

“Thank you, Krystal. I’ve been anxious too,” said Taren. “And I wanted to let you know about some changes on the horizon.”

“Then I take it these changes concern either me or my husband?”

“These changes concern both of you. As we speak, Adi-Wan is meeting with Geki and your husband to discuss their new assignments. There is worry that that they’ll be less than enthusiastic about his decisions. That makes it sound extreme, but it certainly is not,” she hastily added. “Regardless, I felt it was important to speak to you. I think you’ll find these assignments more agreeable than your husband, at least initially. He’ll come around, I’m sure, but I wanted to tell you first.”

“Well, you’ve got me interested. So, tell me about these changes.”

“Adi-Wan plans to bolster the Jedi Academy on Merkava. He wants to drastically increase the number of Jedi training there. Plus, we think it’s beneficial for us to have a strong presence in the Mid-Rim.”

“As the only sitting Council member that has studied there, I’m fully supportive of better maintaining that academy. It’s no secret that enrollments are dwindling.”

“Adi-Wan considers it a valuable asset to the Order. He refuses to let it fall into decline.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” replied Krystal. “Adi-Wan had indicated previously that he has had plans for the academy, but I have not been told anything specific. How exactly do we fit into the picture?”

“We think the academy would profit from additional, highly qualified teachers, and you are a first-rate instructor of lightsaber combat. You will be a fine battlemaster for the academy. And since you’ve studied there before, you’ll be helpful to the new rector.”

“I appreciate the vote of confidence, Taren. This really sounds like a great assignment. But tell me, who do you have in mind for the rector?” Krystal had a perfect candidate in mind. Ar-Pharazon.

“We were thinking Ar-Pharazon,” replied Taren, unknowingly parallel with Krystal’s thoughts. “Adi-Wan wants a strong hand overseeing this academy.”

Krystal gave a sigh of relief. She was glad that Geki had not been chosen for the position. In her experience, he was one of the most meddlesome and cantankerous man in the known galaxy. Even though she had grown accustomed to ignoring his caterwauling, following his orders would not have been a treat. “I know that Ar-Pharazon will be a fine rector. Adi-Wan has made a good choice.”

“I agree, Krystal. But, we’re wondering what you’re husband will think. He and Adi-Wan have had their share of run-ins and disagreements, so we’re worried that Ar-Phrarazon will believe he’s being marooned to some far-flung place as punishment. That is certainly not what this is about.”

“I understand, and I’ll certainly talk with him. I’m sure we’ll have a very long chat about it before bed. But tell me too, what is Geki’s role in this? I don’t think the academy has the facilities that he would require.”

“You’re absolutely right, Krystal. The facilities aren’t adequate. But they will be. Adi-Wan wants Geki to design them. If he can’t initially use the facilities, he’ll at least have the satisfaction of salivating over them as they’re being built to his precise specifications. On top of that, Faust tells me that a large reservoir of Force energy has recently been uncovered. We think that all of that will make an enticing proposition for Geki. But we’re more worried about your husband.”

“Don’t worry about that, Taren.” She loved the academy, and was confident that Ar-Pharazon would too. Though he could be a stubborn one, she was sure he could be convinced. “I’m not worried at all. I can be awfully persuasive with my husband when I need to.”

Taren caught herself on the verge of laughter. “As I would imagine. And I appreciate that considerably. Though, there’s a bit more than just the relocation to Merkava.”

Krystal raised an eyebrow. “Oh? What else?”

“We were also hoping that your husband could take on an apprentice. It is a lot, but we know he’s more than capable.”

“Well, that might be harder to get him excited about. But as I said, I can be exceptionally persuasive.”

Taren smiled again, just barely managing to avoid laughter. “I don’t doubt that one bit, Krystal.”

“My husband is not quite as stubborn as you’d think. He won’t require much arm-twisting, because I’m confident he’ll know a good opportunity when it comes his way.”

“Good. Because Faust has assigned a young Jedi Knight named Barohm Zar to become Ar-Pharazon’s apprentice. I think they’ll get along very well. When Zar is not training with his lightsaber, he’s usually in the library. He’s a smart lad, but a bit brash, so we think he’d benefit from following your husband around, at least for a time.”

“I’m especially anxious to meet him, if he’s good with a lightsaber. Though, I must ask, speaking of apprentices and such–”

Taren immediately cut her off. “Yes, you’ve been assigned a Padwan, Krystal. I understand you’ve already requested one specifically. Does the name Chazi Starkiller ring a bell?”

Krystal was overjoyed. Her eyes widened, practically in disbelief. She had expressed her eagerness to receive Chazi as her Padawan, but had never been granted permission. “I was beginning to think it would never happen.”

“I see,” Taren said softly, almost sounding uncertain. “We have known for a while that you’ve been interested in taking Chazi on, but she is unique. Her Force sensitivity was discovered at a later age, and as you know, caution is always taken in such cases. Now, we believe she is ready. And since she was also born on Merkava, it seems appropriate for her to accompany you.”

“It seems that the stars are aligning,” replied Krystal, elated over the entire turn of events.

“Yes, and as cliché as it often sounds, I believe the Force is with us.”

Krystal laughed. Taren was taking after her old master, Hale Akturus, who recited that well-known expression frequently. “I am quite convinced that the Force is with us. I guess now we’ll see if Ar-Pharazon agrees.”

“That, Krystal, will be the real test.”

NEW CHARACTER:

scaled.php?server=210&filename=taren.png&res=medium

Taren Hornbeck

Position: Jedi Master/Prefect of the Jedi Temple

Species: Human

Edited by Guest

apeditname.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Interesting addition, you got there. Very interesting. I"m a glorified secretary? I"ll bet I'm more important than that! So... does my "evil" twin get to show up sometime?

Eventually. Though, it's a long way off. There's plenty to do with regular Taren in the meantime.

Sorry for the extra long wait. I am apparently the world's slowest writer.

Chapter Ten: Unexpected Opportunities

Emerging from an entrance high above, Chazi Starkiller looked over the vast, enclosed space that housed the main training facilities within the Jedi Temple. The enormous zone was laid out in an intricate grid of towering glass columns, each housing practice rooms of varying shapes and sizes. Small chambers were stacked atop larger ones, with paths and stairs winding in all directions, seemingly placed haphazardly; an impressive forest of glass structures. Eager to see what was happening below, Chazi hurried down a long curving stairwell.

When she finally reached the bottom, she found several pairs of jumpsuit-clad Jedi, flailing away at each other with lightsabers. Their movements and techniques were somewhat familiar, as Chazi had taken a fond interest in the art of fighting. She recognized characteristic elements from the Seven Forms of lightsaber combat, as she had tried incorporating them into her own practices. Many of the fighters were impressive, while others should have stuck with the basics of Shii-Cho. Chazi did her best not to laugh at many of the displays, seeing even remedial techniques performed poorly by students older than her. How some of these so-called fighters were allowed to wield actual lightsabers, while she was forbidden from keeping even a training saber, baffled her.

Chazi considered slipping into one of the empty training rooms, until something else grabbed her attention. A young Korun Jedi was about to initiate a familiar exercise in one of the training rooms. A wall-mounted blaster cannon would unleash volleys of shots at increasing frequencies directly at the combatant. Several targets on a distant wall, none bigger than a human hand, would light up in a random sequence. The object of the exercise was to deflect the oncoming blaster bolts at the lit targets. Catching blaster fire with a lightsaber was already complicated, but redirecting it toward specific targets made for a far more difficult challenge.

The cannon opened fire with its first volley toward the young combatant. Between each shot was a slight delay of one full second, which to Chazi, seemed like an eternity. How challenging could it be? she thought, while still anxious to see what the man could do. He rapidly moved his blue lightsaber with a flurry of twists and swipes, sending three bolts into their correct targets, while two others merely dissolved on the glass wall. Largely unimpressive. Chazi would have actually preferred that the blaster bolts been higher-powered. The fear of shattering a glass wall would have added a fun element to the exercise.

As the second volley began, the Korun completely missed the first shot, his luminous blue blade passing entirely above it. He connected with the next three, managing to strike two targets, but then the wall. Finally, he swung through the last shot too, striking only air.

“Ouch,” Chazi quietly muttered to herself. She imagined his inevitable frustration.

The third and most intense volley of shots commenced. The cannon fired so quickly that any pause between each bolt was basically unnoticeable. It allowed for minimal movement and was finished almost immediately after it began. To Chazi’s surprise, the Korun’s lightsaber connected with each bolt. It had not been as complete a victory as he had likely wanted. Only one shot struck the correct target, with three on the wrong targets and the last merely fizzling on the wall.

“Well, that was embarrassing,” Chazi declared to the large bearded man who had come up next to her. He was clearly one of the Jedi who came to watch over the daily practice exercises. At first he seemed to ignore her. “Six out of fifteen?” she scoffed. “I’ve seen other Knights score as high as nine or ten.”

The man looked down on her. “Is that so?” he asked. Chazi thought he sounded amused. His oversized grin was likely hiding laughter. “Do you think you could have fared better?”

“Against that? Sure.” Chazi immediately caught herself, realizing how boastful her tone likely sounded. “Probably,” she added, growing worried. The man’s intricate robe and sash seemed to indicate a rank in the hierarchy of the Jedi Order. It was a frightening realization. “With all due respect, I mean. Perhaps he needs better training, from a better instructor. He certainly looks capable enough.”

I am his master, and as such I’m responsible for his training,” the man said irritably. “And I think he’s doing just fine.” The man’s eyes tightened in stern disapproval. “Speaking of masters, youngling, who is yours?”

Chazi froze. She wished she had an answer to give him.

“Speak up, girl,” he demanded. “To whom do I report your boastful insolence?”

It was not a boast, but a mere statement of fact. At least she thought so. She knew she could have beaten the man’s Padawan, given the chance. She was confident in her abilities. But that argument would have to wait. She needed to produce an answer now. Chazi half-opened her mouth, but quickly closed it again, still trying to think of what to say.

“I won’t ask politely next time,” the man added, rolling up his sleeves in order to appear intimidating. “Who is your master?”

“That would be me,” said a familiar woman's voice, fast approaching. “Chazi is my Padawan. Is there some sort of problem?” The woman was instantly recognizable as a member of the Jedi Council and a reputable saber combatant herself.

“Master Krystal!” Chazi declared, with a strong emphasis on her title. “There you are!” She could barely process Krystal’s words. My Padawan she said. Chazi was overjoyed.

“Ah, Master Krystal,” began the man. “It seems your new Padawan learner cannot manage three words without making a boast.”

“Is that so?” asked Krystal, who did not seem too troubled at the accusation. “Boasting is easy when no one expects you to follow through.”

“Precisely,” he said contently, nodding in agreement.

“So, let’s settle it,” said Krystal. “Chazi, prepare yourself. You’re going in.”

Chazi blinked in confusion. She was preparing herself for a punishment, not an opportunity. To her surprise, she stood on the verge of entering the training cell, licitly, for the very first time. All she knew now was that she had to do outdo the aggravated man’s Padawan.

“Master Krystal,” the man began, in protest, perhaps just as confused as Chazi. Whatever authority he possessed diminished considerably in the presence of a Master of the Jedi Council. “This is highly irregular. She is just a child.”

“Then you have nothing to fear,” spoke Krystal reassuringly. “Though I am quite confident in her abilities.”

“So be it!” said the man, precisely, obviously frustrated with his inability to change the situation.

“Are you ready, Chazi?” Krystal asked. “We don’t have all day,” she said, though there was no sting in her voice. She actually grinned, in apparent amusement. “So grab a lightsaber. Let’s see what you can do.”

“Yes, let’s,” Chazi said, but she sounded almost absentminded. This was all something she did not expect, though it was a cherished opportunity.

A small crowd of Jedi Knights gave way to Krystal as soon as they saw who she was, creating a space for her to stand next to the training chamber. She smiled warmly and nodded thanks, before directing her attention to her new Padawan. Nothing else mattered, since this was effectively the first opportunity to truly appraise Chazi’s skills. Despite her outward calm, Krystal possessed a heartfelt excitement. As her eyes caught her own reflection in the glass, she fondly remembered her own times inside the training cells. After a moment, she allowed the thoughts to fade and regained her focus on Chazi.

Krystal noticed sweat beading on Chazi's brow. Krystal hoped it was just effort, but she had to be sure. Without wasting time, she closed her eyes and embraced the Force. There were several Jedi in close proximity, but fortunately it did not take long to hone in on the familiar presence. Chazi’s exuberant confidence was like a bright light. It was easy to find, but within that steadfastness was also nervousness, which came as no surprise. Krystal thought that Chazi had a right to be nervous.

Opening her eyes, Krystal began her formal analysis. And now the fun begins.

Chazi took a stance with her feet apart, fists on hips, ready to ignite her lightsaber at the first sign of action. Such clunky form would have to be untaught entirely. It screamed confidence, but lacked any functional application.

Immediately, the wall-mounted cannon opened fire. Almost reflexively, Chazi ignited her green lightsaber, and with a fierce swing, effectively shunted the first blast back and toward the ceiling, directly into the center of the proper target. It was a perfectly placed shot. A moment later, she managed to deflect a second shot and then a third. While they were not as flawless as the first, they still struck their marks. A fourth shot was sent directly into the same target as the first, further smearing an already marred target. It was another perfect shot. Then, as the fifth shot fired, Chazi spun quickly, twirling briefly around, before connecting her green blade and the bolt of energy with a strong uppercut swing. For all its intensity, Chazi’s showy strike sent the blast soaring past its intended target, exploding on the wall instead. Chazi’s eyes dropped in embarrassment and a frustration-fed frown formed on her face.

Krystal sighed quietly. She wasn’t looking to dole out style points. She was looking for proper technique and seeing little. She sensed a lapse in Chazi’s concentration. It was no surprise. The girl needed to focus. Hopefully the second volley of shots would meet a more diligent girl, less concerned with a stylistic performance. “Come on, Chazi!” she uttered, leaning slightly against the glass wall with her hands. “I know you can do better.”

Krystal looked on as the blaster cannon fired five additional shots, more rapidly, allowing less time for overly elaborate mechanics. The first shot was met with a simple swipe, sending the bolt directly into the illuminated target. The second shot met her blade similarly, barely grazing the target. Krystal sensed a tense tightening of Chazi’s nerves, having almost missed the last mark. Then, she swung through the third shot, missing it entirely as it passed by her waist. She missed the fourth shot too, swinging low, but late. It exploded on her lower leg. Cringing in pain and having lost her footing, she collapsed to her knees with her hands supporting her upper body. Her lightsaber deactivated as it hit the floor, while the fifth shot sailed past her head, nearly grazing her face. It was a definite close call. Even a scaled down, low-energy shot would have bruised, if not damaged her face permanently. She quickly scooped up her lightsaber from the floor with a look of renewed determination on her face before climbing back to her feet.

The lights immediately dimmed inside the glass chamber, indicating that the practice exercise had concluded.

“Please!” yelled Chazi, to a silver plated bipedal droid that was manning the blaster cannon from behind the glass. “Let me try the third set.”

“You were struck down,” it replied, in typically solemn droid fashion. “For your own safety, such a mishap automatically concludes this exercise.”

“You sound as if it were dangerous,” replied Chazi defiantly. That response made Krystal want to bang her head into the glass. This girl has so much to learn.

“Only with Master Krystal’s consent can you complete this exercise,” said the droid.

Several Jedi automatically looked to Krystal for her decision. Faces that she did not recognize were genuinely interested in whether Chazi would be allowed to proceed. Krystal was not entirely sure herself. She hated to cave to a mentality that could be perceived as incensed childishness. She sensed no anger from Chazi; rather there was determination and firm resolve. Then again, Krystal was eager to teach her some humility. This instance would serve as a fine first lesson.

Weighing her options, Krystal caught a glimpse of a familiar face. It was the indignant, bearded Jedi Master from before. She was not sure who he was specifically, but she could read his satisfied grin. That settled it. Krystal nearly cracked a smile of her own. “Chazi may proceed. Let her face the third set.”

Chazi smiled brightly, as her green blade came back to life.

Krystal then focused her gaze to the others gathered around. They seemed satisfied with the decision. She redirected her attention back to Chazi. In truth, she sympathized with her. Somewhat. She knew that she would have been furious had she been denied the chance to finish the exercise. The inevitable lesson in humility would have to wait.

The lights within the glass chamber flickered on and one second later, the cannon fired upon Chazi with the quickest salvo yet. This time the five shots were so close together that anything faster would have been a continuous stream. With a few sudden quick wrist movements, Chazi managed to fend off all five shots. Without the Force, it would have been nearly impossible to follow each shot individually, but the issue was rendered moot. Four targets flared up perfectly in their centers, while a fifth was slightly scored just off its center. It was nearly perfect.

The group that was gathered around the glass cell erupted into applause. Despite her rocky start, young Chazi finished strong, and she managed to outscore the Korun, who was apparently nowhere to be found. Scanning the crowd quickly, Krystal could not find his Master either. They likely fled, in order to avoid the embarrassment of being beaten by such a youthful and virtually untrained Padawan.

Krystal made her way over to the entrance of the glass cell just as Chazi was emerging. Krystal was anxious to discuss the exercise and so much else, but decided to remain quiet, at least for a time. Chazi was officially her Padawan, and would be treated accordingly.

“And there you have it, Master Krystal,” she said awkwardly, yet excitedly, as if she were savoring the word Master for the very first time. “How did I do?”

“I think it went well. Your initial struggles gave way to a fantastic comeback as you regained your focus. However, it was quite far from you need to be.” The girl had good material in her, but her training had been postponed for too long. Bad habits had set in, which would require serious correction.

“I understand, Master,” replied Chazi, humbly. It felt genuine enough. “I’m anxious to learn.”

“Good,” replied Krystal. “There is much I can teach you. But know well that there are no shortcuts within my instruction. Today’s exercise has been a fine opportunity to see what you’re capable of. I’ve watched your stance, your mechanics, and the very way you approached each individual shot. Let me tell you that all of your techniques are going to change. Drastically.”

Chazi’s eyes widened in surprise. “It’s all going to change?”

“All of it,” replied Krystal, in a very no nonsense tone. “Everything you have learned or taught yourself with a lightsaber up until this point is hereby forbidden.”

“Yes, Master,” said Chazi, who appeared shocked, but not necessarily upset. “A fresh start entirely.”

“Precisely,” agreed Krystal. “And know that my husband and I have been reassigned to the Jedi Academy on Merkava, so you will be accompanying us. I hope you have no objections.”

“Object?” laughed Chazi, smiling. “No, I insist. I was born on Merkava, and have not been there in some time. I would jump at the chance to go.”

“I hoped that would be the case,” said Krystal, finally breaking a smile. “So you should get ready. The rest of us who have been reassigned to Merkava are leaving on a shuttle in two days. You will need to be on it.”

“Then I’ll be ready.”

“Good,” replied Krystal. “Until then, you’re free, but once we arrive on Merkava, we’ll begin your training. It will be difficult, I believe, but worthwhile.”

“All right, Master,” said Chazi. “Thank you so much.” With a respectful bow, she turned away and hurried off.

Krystal smiled at her and nodded firmly. Saying nothing, she studied the girl’s step for a brief moment before turning away. Her smile tightened. I knew a girl like you, once.

Edited by Guest

apeditname.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No responses yet?!

A very well written chapter, Ben. There were one or two words missing that didn't in any way detract from the story, but its worth mentioning just so you can be on the lookout in future chapters.

Krystal is definitely my favorite character thus far. You've developed both her and Ar-Pharazon beautifully and I can't wait to see where you go with them.

Well done, good sir.

silassig-1.jpg

Proud member of the JNET Addicts Club since November '05