With a whimper. (Complete)

Durandal!

Interesting work D...I kind of like it. It's a very neat twist on the end of the world, and I'm intruiged. It's interesting in itself to see a unified Earth, even if it's unified in suffering. And it's neat how God is one of the characters...

I'll definately read more of this if you post it.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Finished.

--------------

The sky has been grey for six months.

The oceans had cooled, hurricanes tore apart coastlines, floods left whole counties inaccessible to the outside world. The sun became a vivid memory after only six months of a grey sky. The planet was falling apart at the seams, yet no one reported on it. What television stations that were still broadcasting replayed the same six minute clip on constant loop. The world just stood in awe as we as a collective species took one last breath. I guess in the eyes of the cosmos we didn't even merit the chance to think much of it. And we accepted that after coming to terms with the fact that humanity was that small. If we were blinked out, the cogs of matter and space would move on completely unchanged.

And the world was not yet able to wrap it's head around the thought of life without us in it.

Would there be life after every living creation was gone?

Do we define what it is to have life?

The thought ran through every able minded human being for six months. But there was no rioting in the streets. The human vision of the apocalypse was one of fire and rubble. But this never came to be.

T.S. Elliot was right when he wrote The Hollow Men.

The world didn't end with a bang, but a whimper.

We were warned. Not to change our ways, but to prepare for the inevitable. Humanity's actions would play no part in the end. It was out of our hands as soon as no one was behind the wheel.

To see a hint of sadness in the low rumbling voice of the one who created not only you, but every person you have ever heard of; was enough for us to realize the severity of the situation. The only hint you would get that something was awry was the sunless sky and the natural weather that ripped though each continent. Wars ceased, governments gave their speeches, families talked for weeks about how much they would give to have more time together. But no one really talked for the remaining two months. Things looked normal from far away. We would just look at the ground the way you would look away from a picture of a lost loved one. If you distance yourself enough, you'll be hurt less when you're life gets thrown into upheaval. But there was no life to be worried about. There was no escaping the fact that we would be gone in seven months from the time the message arrived.

It was God who told us so on the morning of July 18, 2010.

Whole countries went silent when the bright figure materialized in the center of every city, town and villiage across the globe. In unison the booming voice said but one thing.

"You are my children. I wrought you from the clay. I created you in my image. The figure you see here is one of a few in the emptiness of space. When I stand I am taller than whole galaxies. When I breathe, the solar winds of whole star systems seep into my chest. But I did not create these things. No, I am not as omnipotent as you may have been lead to believe. I came to you once before in a similar fashion as this. Only then I came to make myself known. To give the the explanation you seek for the world around you. You called me Christ. King. I was deeply gratified at the love you showed towards the being that created you. My children. My kin. I am here on my last breath. I am not immortal. I am not outweighed by the laws of physics. As incorporeal as I am, I cannot escape death. The matter that creates my many forms is the same that constructs yours. And though my life has spanned eons, it is drawing to a close. I am the caretaker of the world I created. I payed a close ear to your prayers. I gave the world the light touch it needed to stay in balance. But my children, when I am gone that touch will cease to be. The world I created, the life that sprang from myself, will cease to be as well.

You are not alone in the universe. A few like me have created few like you. But you must come to terms with the resolution of all things here. The mantle will not be passed to anyone. I am the only thing that could keep the planet we call Earth alive.

Do not be sad, my children. There is neither heaven or hell to fear being given a new life in. I created you out of love. Simplicity in it's truest form. The perception of the human mind exists here and here only. You may say I am a liar for setting the belief that there is a life after ultimate death. But without this, morality would crumble. I gave you that morality to do with what you saw fit. The only catch to the free will you were granted.

But it would not be my place to say I can take it away. True, I will be gone as soon as I leave this mortal shell you see before you, but the life you have is your own to do with what you see happiness in when the end comes in seven months to this very day.

My only regret, is that I created you at all knowing it would end like this."

And with that the bright human figure faded away. People were stunned by what the had just seen. A prank? a hoax? An ad campaign? No one could understand why god would appear just to abandon them. Only to ride out the end on their own. The following weeks were the most hectic of any. All the way up until September news reports commented on the weather getting worse and worse. The sky being a constant grey, the then famous six minute video shot out of Melbourne, Australia; was the most popular footage in the world. The man who shot is was a student film maker filming scenery near the station pier when we got the message. His camera was rolling the entire time when he saw it.

Three weeks later he was hit by an train. The footage went on to be the clearest of all film shot of the phenomena. And his death sent shock waves through continents. It was the first time the population in unison stepped back to take a look at it. His life ended there. No heaven. No hell.

So the news reports stopped. People stopped going to their jobs. The weather went so far off balance that the entire country of Japan had been submerged. Millions died in the ensuing weeks. We all wanted to turn towards the sky and beg for help. But every time the thought of salvation from above came into out minds, we were shot back to earth with the cold fact that there was no one to save us. By December we had all stopped talking to one another. Half of the human population was gone already. Those who were left neither cried or swayed. We just lived. Breathing in oxygen, exhaling carbon dioxide. The names of things lost meaning. It became a bleak blur of things god created, and things we would never see again. A chair became a tome of nostalgia. I scratch ticket became a painful reminder of the lives we once had. And once February 17'th 2011 came around, the planet was united in the glimpse we had of the end being something to strive for. Earth's axis has been altered. The temperature dropped to -10 degrees in California. But even worse, we were set in the path of the last gift from god. Debris from a comet hit us hard enough to leave a crated the size of alaska.

Not 45 seconds later, we were all gone.

I'm speculating on the end of this, because I hope that somewhere out in the depths of space someone will find this. The last chapter of humanity's history recorded on a second gold disk. By now we have been gone for what I'm guessing is a very long time. But as long as this rocket can drift through the blackness that God called it's home, we will have something to show for the lives we all lead.

One small step for man. The last step we ever took.

drobotsig.jpg

Hmm...very interesting. Again as I've often found with your works, it's very thought-provoking. I sit here afterwards and think about things.

I mean, I don't agree with the views in this story, but at the same time, that's part of what makes fiction so interesting.

Nicely done. It reminds me of that other story you wrote about the colony on the Moon that I really liked.

Great work, and I'd love to see you continue to write and read fics here.

Oh, and one last thing--you repeated the first part of the story in your second post. You should probably cut the repeated part out so it's easier to read. It didn't mess me up, but it was kinda odd.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

wow D, I really liked this. I didn't know you wrote. And, let me say, I'm happy you were in a bad mood when you wrote this. Cause if you were happy when you made this, I'd be a bit freaked out.

All in all, great job. I really liked it.

ryoocopy-1.jpg

For those of you who knew me, it was great, for those who didn't, welcome.

http://www.naese.com/images/Ryoojaxxon.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Preface- I'm very proud of how this turned out. I spent a long time on something this short, but it means a lot to me. Please please read, and let me know what you think.

-D

The sky has been grey for six months.

I feel as a wine cork would feel adrift in the Atlantic. The cold metal of a microphone between my fingers, the tattered wool blanket draped over my frail body.

Here goes,

The oceans had cooled, hurricanes tore apart coastlines, and floods left whole counties inaccessible to the outside world. The sun became little more than a vivid memory after only six months of a grey sky. The planet was falling apart at the seams, yet no one reported on it. What television stations that were still broadcasting replayed the same six minute clip on constant loop. Set for constant repeat after everyone had abandoned the area. The world just stood in awe as we as a collective species took one last breath. I guess in the eyes of the cosmos we didn't even merit the chance to think much of it. And we accepted that after coming to terms with the fact that humanity was that small. If we were blinked out, the cogs of matter and space would move on completely unchanged.

And the world was not yet able to wrap its head around the thought of life without us in it. Like a baby holding its father's watch. Cooing, staring, pulling, twisting, yet never able comprehend it's purpose. The small gears housed inside, yet never understanding the incredible amount of detail and craftsmanship gone into creating something so intricate.

Could it be real? The end of humanity as a bleak and whimpering mass of skeletons in the streets?

The thought ran through every able minded human being for six months. But there was no rioting in the streets. The human vision of the apocalypse was one of fire and rubble. But this never came to be.

T.S. Elliot was right when he wrote The Hollow Men.

The world didn't end with a bang, but a whimper.

We were warned. Not to change our ways, but to prepare for the inevitable. Humanity's actions would play no part in the end. It was out of our hands as soon as no one was behind the wheel. Try to imagine that feeling. We had no hope. Our armies and scientists, poets and artists were useless to stop it. Hollywood had always shown us a positive vision of the apocalypse; Men in orange space suits heroically diverting cosmic wrecking balls from ending the American way. It's hard to picture the real men who would have been first in line for such a job, to be huddling around dying loved ones praying to themselves as the world collapsed inward.

In the entire six month period of global catastrophe, I never once saw someone break a storefront window, or even a scuffle in the streets. We were too ashamed. We were ashamed of the pharos and kings who came before us, ashamed of our parents. Had we a scope of things to come, humanity may have found a way to find safe passage away from the collapsing planet. Like rats from a sinking ship. We just didn't have enough time. Something of that scale would have required centuries of ingenuity and global cooperation. Instead we were ill prepared for something completely unforeseeable. In our hearts we had no choice but to accept our fate.

To see a hint of sadness in the low rumbling voice of the one who created not only you, but every person you have ever heard of, was enough for us to realize the gravity of the situation. Wars ceased, governments gave their speeches, families talked for weeks about how much they would give to have more time together. But no one really talked for the remaining two months. Things looked normal from far away. We would just look at the ground the way you would look away from a picture of a lost loved one. If you distance yourself enough, you'll be hurt less when you're life gets thrown into upheaval. But there was no life to be worried about. There was no escaping the fact that we would be gone in seven months from the time the message arrived.

It was God who told us so on the morning of July 18, 2010.

Whole countries went silent when the bright figure materialized in the center of every city, town and village across the globe. In unison the booming voice said but one thing.

"You are my children. I wrought you from the clay. I created you in my image. The figure you see here is one of a few in the emptiness of space. When I stand I am taller than whole galaxies. When I breathe, the solar winds of whole star systems seep into my chest. But I did not create these things. No, I am not as omnipotent as you may have been lead to believe. I came to you once before in a similar fashion as this. Only then I came to make myself known. To give the explanation you seek for the world around you. You called me Christ. King. I was deeply gratified at the love you showed towards the being that created you. My children. My kin. I am here on my last breath. I am not immortal. I am not outweighed by the laws of physics. As incorporeal as I am, I cannot escape death. The matter that creates my many forms is the same that constructs yours. And though my life has spanned eons, it is drawing to a close. I am the caretaker of the world I created. I paid a close ear to your prayers. I gave the world the light touch it needed to stay in balance. But my children, when I am gone that touch will cease to be. The world I created, the life that sprang from myself, will cease to be as well.

You are not alone in the cosmos. A few like me have created few like you. But you must come to terms with the resolution of all things here. The mantle will not be passed to anyone. I am the only thing that could keep the planet we call Earth alive.

Do not be sad, my children. There is neither heaven nor hell to fear being given a new life in. I created you out of love, Simplicity in its truest form. The perception of the human mind exists here and here only. You may say I am a liar for setting the belief that there is a life after ultimate death. But without this, morality would crumble. I gave you that morality to do with what you saw fit. The only catch to the free will you were granted.

But it would not be my place to say I can take it away. True, I will be gone as soon as I leave this mortal shell you see before you, but the life you have is your own to do with what you see happiness in when the end comes in seven months to this very day.

My only regret, is that I created you at all knowing it would end like this."

And with that the bright human figure faded away. People were stunned by what they had just seen. A prank? a hoax? No one could understand why ”˜god' would appear just to abandon them. Show himself only to deliver a message that we will have to ride out the end on our own? The following weeks were the most unsteady of any. We noticed things about ourselves that only cemented our shame. The sun withdrew from the sky and a grey view of the heavens replaced it. With governments in a panic, a global war would seem almost inevitable. Yet instead the world ceased contact with anybody farther than their own country. If it was a primal sense of racism or a feeling of longing to things that were only familiar are unknown. I wish I could say history would be the judge. All the way up until September news reports commented on the weather getting worse and worse. The sky being a constant grey, the then famous six minute video shot out of Melbourne, Australia; was the most popular footage in the world. The man who shot is was a student film maker filming scenery near the station pier when we got the message. His camera was rolling the entire time when he saw it.

Three weeks later he was hit by a train. The footage went on to be the clearest of all film shot of the phenomena. And his death sent shock waves through continents. It was the first time the population in unison stepped back to take a look at it. His life ended there. No heaven. No hell.

So the news reports stopped. People stopped going to their jobs. The weather went so far off balance that the entire country of Japan had been submerged. Millions died in the ensuing weeks. We all wanted to turn towards the sky and beg for help. But every time the thought of salvation from above came into our minds, we were shot back to earth with the cold fact that there was no one to save us. We wanted to be enraged at our neighbors for doing this to us, wanted to force blame onto anyone but ourselves. But none of us were to blame. By December half of the human population was gone already. Those who were left were skeletal masks of their former selves. Surviving just to survive. It seems like such a wasted concept. We just lived. Breathing in oxygen, exhaling carbon dioxide. The names of things lost meaning. It became a bleak blur of things god created, and things we would never see again. A house stopped being a home, and became a tome of nostalgia. A scratch ticket became a painful reminder of the lives we once had. Once February 17'Th 2011 came, the planet was united in the glimpse we had of the end being something to strive for. Earth's axis has been altered. The surface temperature dropped to -10 degrees in California.

It was a heartbreaking sight. The instinct to survive was almost a hinderance to most. They wanted to give in, wanted to let go and be finished with it all. They couldn't. Those people were either fighters or simply didn't come to the conclusion of it all yet. They didn't want to believe. I have no doubts many of them still ask ”œWhy does god let this happen?”

drobotsig.jpg

I thought I replied to this before- did you have it in another thread too?

In any event, I liked it very much. The incessant, oppressive overtones of regret and fatalism make the story very dark and fairly depressing, but it's very well written. I have a soft spot for stories dealing with apocalypses, and some of them handle it less well than others, but this was spot on.

It's an idea that's intrigued me in the past, in terms of apocalypse scenarios- most takes on an impending apocalypse include a way for humankind to avert said apocalypse, and I've always wondered- what if there was no way to avert the apocalypse? You tackled this question beautifully and it gives a very melancholy, very intriguing view of people giving up and fighting the inevitable at the same time.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

• 11 months later...

Looks like he removed the original draft and put the whole story a couple posts down to me. But keep the one word posts to a minimum. This is fanfic. You're supposed to be wordier here.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.