The Eternal Vigilance (The Maw)

Tarrian Skywalker

Onderin remained quiet while the encounter with Faust played out. He did not trust himself to speak with the passivity that was required of a Jedi Master. He knew that he could only use the Force when calm, and he had a bit of a weak spot when it came to Vladimir Faust. And yet, even now, as he looked at the man, he found that the Force was still within him, placid. He touched it and it allowed him to remain calm and view the situation objectively. There was no reason to trust Faust, but that was just a factor in the conversation. It didn't have to predetermine the outcome. And so the Jedi Master listened quietly, knowing that the only reason for Faust to do something in the best interest of the galaxy was so that he could have something to sow chaos in later. But even with that end in mind, Onderin thought that the preservation of the Galactic Alliance was the first step. It was possible that the Jedi needed someone on the inside, who had held counsel with their enemies and known their secrets, in order to be effective at bringing the Sith Order to an end.

But when Faust claimed that the Jedi were too weak and challenged them, he exhaled in amusement. He was almost incredulous when two overzealous Masters actually rose to the bait, and even Kirlocca seemed to agree to Faust's terms. Suddenly Onderin looked around him as though with new eyes, re-examining the Jedi Council. How could they be so blind? Suddenly they were jumping through hoops and trying to prove themselves worthy of the aid of the greatest criminal in the galaxy? Were they children to be so eager to make known their talents? And did they not see how dire the consequences would be if they should fail? It wasn't that Onderin expected Faust to kill anyone, but the Order would be tremendously damaged by failure to execute here, and one could never expect Faust to fight fair, although Jedi Masters almost always would.

The Corellian Jedi was suddenly on his feet. "Sit down, Masters," he bade Dahar and Damon. He looked at Faust. "Why should we prove ourselves to you? It was you that came to us, Faust. If you doubt our strength, then discard us as potential allies. We don't need you to defeat the Sith--we just defeated them on Coruscant and on Gala. If you want to be part of this, we might be able to use you. But it will be you serving us in that capacity."

3C12kbA.png

There is nothing good in war. There is good in why we fight them.

In the time between Fausts entry and now, Dashel's sense of impending danger just kept getting stronger. He sat silently throughout the debate, wondering why during Faust's initial offer two names caught his attention and refused to leave, Padawan Kohl's and Master Aryans. Both really had been brief acquaintances, one a Padawan whom he felt he had failed, the other someone whose advice and counsel he always kept at the forefront of his mind. He wondered why, besides Faust's mentioning them, the two seemed entirely relevant to what was going on now.

"Master Aryian kept telling me to look beyond the code, to see what lay on the other side," thought Dashel, "or is that the point, that he looked beyond the code and found only what he expected to find and forgot to keep faith, forgot to retain hope and in doing so, allowed the Darkness that is in all of us to fully express itself?" He followed the second point, already knowing the story of so many Jedi and others whom had fallen following the first and saw that sometimes, wisdom came from the actions of those whom the supposed power of the Darkside should have easily triumphed over but failed.

Kari Kohl, an untrained Padawan whom had carried a burden the order knew nothing of, had resisted the call of the Darkside and found the light, had become a Jedi worthy of the that name.

Dashel mentally reviewed Fausts words and found that his words contained only despair, a sweet seduction to surrender all responsibility, to give into the doubts and insecurities all beings felt, the beginning of the grandest tragedy of all and Dashel wanted no part of such opera. All that he had been, was, and would be fought to be a Jedi, fought to become worthy of those before him and to serve as a guide for those whom came after. Despair, and the Fear that accompanied it could only lead to the Darkside and Dashel, a Master only by the will of the Force, found the strength in rejecting the pride of hubris of one teacher and accepting the lesson of another.

To Faust he simply said, "No, Faust, for Master Starlisk's reasons and for the memory of how an untrained Padawan fought against you and won her freedom."

Faust's eyes glint at Dashel. Oh, raiding Gala's temple and setting it afire was fun, no arguments about that, but for the time and effort he invested into the girl, for her to go to the Jedi was a dissapointment, and an extreme one since she survived his dissapointment as well when most other beings did not. Oddly enough, he thought he felt something like a tug in the back of his mind, a sense of someone curious to the lure of the Dark. No matter, he had other reasons for being here.

"They say one can only know another when one fights them. In that mortal contest, you see someone for what they really are. I confess I found the Jedi's performance on that day at Gala... lacking." Faust tsks and shakes his head, though he also knew how very closely he came to dying at that time. His eyes drift over to Starlisk, studying him intently, finding neither the supressed anger and hatred that he did not need the Force to sense off Dashel, though there was some tinge of it from earlier.

"You, Jedi Starlisk, at least have some backbone," he states, a faint half-smile drawing on his pale lips, giving an approving nod. "And your terms for my help are also not unreasonable between what you and Damon pointed out." Faust chuckles. "In the interest of getting the party started, I think I'm suitably impressed. I still smell an air of fear and desperation here, but there's also pride as well. Pride does help, though really, wrath has also been one of my favorites as well." Giving another soft chuckle Faust, steps forward, picking up the bloodied dagger again. "Consider my help earned for the time being, Jedi. I do not expect to rise to the head of your armies and your battle plans right away, and would judge you foolish if you did so so readily. At the same time, your... discretion, in enlisting my help initially would also be of aid." He gives a faint bow, then goes straight to business.

"The Dark Lord will be, or has consolidated his power by now within the Sith, particularly if he sends a message like that. I suspect Furion's style to be not unlike my own- directing from afar through his operatives, but stepping in as needed when a showing of force and power is needed or to scatter or dispatch troublesome foes. He will likely be making three major steps at this point, and this is what I would be doing in his shoes. The first is subverting the Galactic Alliance and working on something to break it. Because the Sith have moved out to be openly hostile to the established Galactic order, they will need to be covert, but their main Lords and Masters may be made to stand out."

Faust starts to slowly circle around the Jedi and the holo of their grandmaster, eyes meeting each of them in turn.

"Second, he will seek allies to do so to help him facilitate that end, preferably those with either an existing powerbase. I think you know of what I speak as the only likely ally?" he flashes a quick grin. "Black Sun is consildating its power, but trying to walk a narrow edge of legitimacy itself. Hit them hard with CoreSec and you may strike down a third of their plans. Do not hesitate, nor relent, until that sun shines no more."

The Hunter's tone because quieter. "The third likely target would be your own precious throats, Jedi, and he may seek to have them slit, if not worse. I cannot say if that would be the opening salvo, or a coup de grace to finish off the Sith's rise to power. You will need to strike first and strike hard since there is no telling when the blow may fall. I mentioned a second price for help in locating the Dark Lord, and it is is a price only you can pay." He holds up the dagger again.

"This offers a channel to the Dark Lord when it drinks a life, drinks a soul. You may be able to use it, but the price will be high. One life, and your order may be able to channel back and locate the Dark Lord in his hiding place. Any soul may work, but one of your order may be able to work it better, using his or her dying breath to link up and touch the Dark Lord as he channels through you. Its metaphysics in the Force will allow that contact, though I can also see some issues in communicating your findings as well, even with the rest of the order helping you. There is a high price for failure. If the Dark Lord does not respond, or is in hyperspace or in transit, you will have gained nothing and only stained yourselves." Setting the dagger down again, he concludes. "Well, comrades," he asks with a grin, though a sardonic tone drips through his voice, "what now?"

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed - but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Dahar removed his hand from his weapon. It had seemed that the need to battle this Sith was gone. He wanted to, however. The Jedi Master would prefer him dead. He didn't trust the man and saw no reasons for the others to either. He remained standing as Faust gave his speech. The Sith were plotting in secret, what else was new. In Dahar's mind the Sith had no real goal, no direction. Dahar had an odd sense of respect for Sith leaders like Dagon, perhaps because the man had spared his life, but at least used the Dark for near justifable goals. It was the Sith of recent who lashed out only to create chaos and destruction.

"Why should we trust you Faust? How do we know there isn't more, or less, to this dagger than you suppose? How do we know that if we follow your guidance we won't spring a trap through this weapon? How we do know you aren't working with the Dark Lord himself, and this is all a plot to once again catch the Jedi with egg on our faces?"

Dahar had a dangerously black and white view of things, but it had kept those around him safe, for the most part.

"Gentleman," he spoke addressing the rest of the council, "How do we know we can trust this known terrorist at all? And why should we? I believe we must take advantage of his folly, of a known criminal giving himself over to the law, and seize him." Dahar spoke firmly, "He should be exectued for his crimes and the guarantee of the harm he will inflict in the future. We are not dealing with a man of remorse looking for redemption. We are dealing with a Sith." Dahar spoke the last word with disdain.

Jedi Masters never die, they just fade away...

"No."

Darex rose out of his seat. Things had gotten out of hand; masters were letting their emotions cloud their judgement. He had been about to speak up when Onderin had stepped in, essentially ending the puzzling flurry of Jedi Masters rising to Faust's bait and playing right into his hands. And now it was still happening. Faust was somehow convincing these Jedi Masters that they needed him, and that his way was the only option.

"Master Luciferian," he said, addressing the hunter in their midst, "this Order will not stoop to your methods, not while I am grandmaster. The ends do not justify the means. By participating in your plan, we would be touching the dark side, and that is something I will not accept. Yes, we are going to take a hard line against the Sith, but not as an act of aggression or retaliation. We are going to step up to our proper roles of active defenders of the galaxy."

His mouth formed a hard line. "You are a bounty hunter. So hunt down Furion. This whole theatrical dark side voodoo has no place here. Use what methods you will, but they will be of your own doing, and yours alone. That is my price. You are for all intents and purposes working for yourself on your own agenda, as you always do. No word of our...agreement," he said, lightly stressing the word, "will reach the ears of the public." Even if it did, Darex was sure they wouldn't believe it--after all, if someone told you that Faust was working with the Jedi, you'd laugh in his face--but Darex did want Faust hear it for the record.

He sat back down slowly. "For now, you may go. Do what you do best--hunt down Furion and bring us his location." He resumed his blank expression. "If you wish lodging for the night, you are welcome to stay, but you will be under heavy guard in our prison level."

Darex had other things to discuss, but they were for the ears of the Council alone. It would be clear that Faust was being dismissed.

FDY9u6P.png

Grand Master of the Jedi Order

Faust smiles inwardly at Dashar's angry rant. While here for his own purposes the opportunity to enlighten as it were a member of the Jedi's own Council surprised him and intreagued him. Outwardly, he gives a look of quiet suffering and impatience, flashing that to the other assorted Jedi, as if he expected them to be above that. Before he can respond to Dahar with a barbed remark, Darex speaks up. Faust's eyes glint as he's dismissed, though he also suspected the Jedi would not opt for his method in locating the Dark Lord.

"So much for the Jedi notion of self-sacrifice for the greater good," he murmurs softly, though his eyes flicker over to Dahar, barely supressing a smirk, "though I think some of your order already seems ready to embrace the Dark side for that cause. I would have also accepted the denial simply on the grounds that this may simply fail, period." He takes a bow to the assembled Jedi Councilors. "By your leave then, and," he states, taking the dagger in hand one final time, "by your own directives, I will be pursuing Furion by my own methods. There are still plenty of legitimate bounties where targets are wanted dead or alive in this galaxy, and perhaps one of those would be more useful to me in death than in life." He gives a wolfish grin and turns to depart.

Before leaving, he pauses at the doorway, giving the assembled Jedi one last look. "You are mistaken, by the way in one thing, Darex old boy. You are right in that you may not need me to win this war and that as reactive defenders of the peace, you may be able to do just that." The stress on the may bleeds skepticism as the Hunter speaks it. "You are mistaken though in that there isn't fear in rejecting me. Perhaps not for losing the war, but a failure to end this war quickly before it begins. Once it escalates, once the Sith and their allies gain their traction, it will be a new war across the Galaxy, and like or not innocents will suffer then and the Galactic Alliance will suffer, if not collapse outright." He stops, and reaches into his trenchcoat, first relighting his cigar with another flicker of Force lightning, then taking out a commlink ((and really, it's just a commlink)) and tossing it over behind his back to Darex.

"You can use this to reach me if needed. It's not a direct comm-line and can't be traced, so it may take me a few days to get back in touch with you all. I'll keep you updated as soon as I learn something... comra-- or should I say, partners." He turns and winks, directing it primarily at Dahar and Dashel, having sensed the strongest reactions from them to his presence. "Toodles."

With that, the Hunter strolls out, puffing on his cigar, and whistling merrily to himself, the accursed dagger still clenched in his left hand.

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed - but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

"So much for the Jedi notion of self-sacrifice for the greater good," Dahar heard Faust say. He knew that every word the Dark Master spoke was to subvert the Jedi. However upon hearing this Dahar let it roll around in his mind. Despite the Sith's intentions it was a valid point. Would somebody need to fall in order for the rest to live? Although it was not to his liking there was a thin connection between Dahar and Faust, as if the Sith could sense something in him. Perhaps it was Dahar's failure as a Jedi Master to allow this to happen, or perhaps it was inevitable.

Then, through the faintest whispers of the Force, he distinctly heard the voice of his old master K'munee. He remembered his words from their first encounter, "Yes, I am a Jedi. But only when it suits my purposes."

Dahar stood and bowed to the rest of the council, and then directly to the Grandmasters. "Gentlemen, if you'll excuse me."

He exited the council chambers and into the hallway, calling out to the Sith Master, "Faust."

Within the veil of The Force, the spirits spoke, taking physical form within the mind of the Exorcist Kyrie Eleison, who sat upon one of the metallic benches before the council’s chambers. She had not been allowed in, simply because she was not yet a master. Her mind was bitter, and into that field seeds of dissent began to grow, fuelled by her own sense of Purity, of Righteousness. She could hear the words of the council, but that was not all. Voices spoke within her mind.]

Do not let this galaxy be once again torn apart by war! You are the last of the Watchcircle of Illentria, you were raised in war, within the path of the Dark Side. You felt the sorrow of torture at the hands of the Sith. They raped you, they stole your innocence, your life, your dreams. The Sith that took you from your home, is like the one now standing against the Order, leading the forces of the Dark Side. This Furion. This Julio. To save the galaxy, you must remove the head from the serpent, and crush it beneath your heel...

Kyrie’s hand caressed the laminated, ebon wood of her longbow, her nimble, nail-bitten fingers playing over the softened grain, before moving to the stiff string of tallowed sinew, taken from a Bantha. Absentmindedly, she notched one of the arrows within the string, allowing her hand the pleasure of drawing back the stiff pull of the weight, nearly twice that of a typical bow. Standing upon her booted feet, Kyrie frowned, at let loose the arrow, allowing it to embed into an ornamental platter, mounted upon a nearby bulkhead. The platter shattered into a thousand jagged pieces of plaster, before themselves turning into projectiles, hurled by the force, to drive themselves into a mural. Voices within her head continued to speak, as she notched yet another arrow, taken from her quiver.

You let a Sith live upon Gala, you showed him mercy. Now, undoubtedly, he continues to strike down the innocent. To have slain him, would have sacrificed your morality, to ensure that those who are innocent continue to live. Now, their blood is upon your head...

The creak of a door and the pungent odour of a lit cigar shattered her from her musings. She turned, her black cowl clinging to her tunic, her braids of jet-black hair whirling. She rested her emerald eyes upon the Sith Master that now walked towards her, followed by a desperate-looking Jedi, the one called Dahar Raikanda. With caution, Kyrie stepped forth, the arrow drawn halfway within the longbow, not quite fully in the Sith’s path, but to the side. Her voice rang out within the hallway, carrying strength towards Faust.

“The course of the Jedi, begins to spin once more towards divide, as it did upon the onset of the Mandalorian Wars... Against that great evil, The Sith, the Council shirked their duty to the galaxy, opting instead, to sit upon their thrones, and care not for the galaxy, the one they SWORE to protect... Just as of now, they once more choose to leave the galaxy to the Sith, to protect their own asses... Their own... Sense of the Jedi’s Code...”

Kyrie paused, hoping the Masters would hear her words.

“Is it not said within the code, set down by Master Skywalker, that the Jedi are Guardians of the Galaxy? Are we not to use our powers to defend and protect? Jedi must put the needs of the galaxy above the needs of individuals... Even... Even our own souls. If you hunt the Sith, I shall follow you.”

Reaching out with The Force, she touched Faust’s and Dahar’s ears with simple words, carrying the strength of The Force.

...Ex malo bonum...

kyrie.png.529a6b96a133828163a998c9b43e5d11.png

The force surged. Light rippled and power clashed for a brief moment. It was a bad sign.

Rushing form the meeting room with out even a reason why Damon ran into the hall where not only was Faust talking with one of the young Exorcist from the med bay and Dahar, but where Ariel, his newest soon to be padawan was in hiding. The doors of the room shut behind him as he caught all who were gathered.

"It seems enough was not said. Since its clear the current Grand Master is in question of his ability to lead and I have been granted faith by the other I will make this clear as day. We know who the Dark Lord is. We have a means to track him via his tainted blade. We will not use it. It is not because we are afraid to. We will not sacrifice ourselves for some thing that might only give us a lead to Julio's location. We will find him."

He looked at them all.

"We will do it on our terms with out losing who we really are. If you disagree with me speak now. I am bidding farewell to the Masters. We will do this ourselves if we must. With out the council or with. That goes for you young Exorcist especially. You have spent to much time learning the ways to forsake them now."

He waited for their response as we would hope they would see that they are not alone in this plight as the galaxy as a whole was at stake.

Its a blast from the not so distant past.

Faust turns around and faces Dahar. His right hand absently strays towards the hilt of his Sith Sword, though it was all posturing... Well, almost all posturing as Faust knew, one really never could be too careful.

"Have you come to execute me for the sake of the future?" Faust asks softly, his eyes meeting Dahar's. "For the sake of merely being a Sith and for what I have done and not what I have offered to do for you all?" A faint smile creases his lips. "Your honesty at least becomes you, Master Jedi, owning up to you feeling better than some of your other Masters on the Council and-" he pauses, head turning, catching the sense and sight of a new Jedi.

Faust turns and cooly appraises her, once more putting out his cigar and tucking it back in his coat.

"Your words are wise, child, and I'd be honored if you would join me on this quest to head off the war before it starts. After all Sic vis pacem, para bellum," he states, intoning his response in an ancient language that would eerily resemble Terran Latin in some distant, far off future galaxy.

Turning around again, he smiles, seeing Damon make his entry into the hall and deliver his piece on lofty ideals and hollow actions.

"Res ipsa loquitur, he states coldly in the same tongue. "Your order claims confidence in asking for my help initially when it's fear that drove it, already offering some compromise on their vaunted ideals." He delivers that close to an open sneer, but holds back a bit, keeping a civil edge on his tone. "Or was it just to size me up to see if you could stick a lightsaber in my back between the shoulderblades? Now it gives in to fear... no cowardice when they believe the price may be too high to do what must be done and casts me off to hunt the Dark Lord alone while you sit and debate just like Councils of old. Even so, by my own methods, your Grand Master said, so if nothing else, the Council plans to turn a blind eye while I go ahead if they can wipe their hands clean of it." He gives a sigh and shakes his head, meeting Damon in the eyes now.

"Master Damon," he states, his tone softer, like one trying to reach an old colleague, "you just stated you're willing to do what needs to be done with or without the Council's approval. I may be able to find and possibly locate the Dark Lord, but even I am not so foolish as to walk into a temple or fortress of Sith alone with hostile intentions on their leader, even with all my formiddable power." He let that one sink in, and for added, intentional effect, let his eyes glance back towards the closed door where the Council still awaited, marking the contrast. "Your powers caused me... discomfort... during our last meeting and are more than formiddable in their own right. Yes, philosophical differences aside, I must acknowledge that. You would be more than an asset to us in our Hunt."

Ice and fire, two forces of nature eternally opposed against one another... Is it possible that they can now work together?

With eyes of steeled emeralds, portals through which her pure-fire soul could be witnessed, Kyrie met the gaze of the Sith Master, Vladimir Faust, and then that of Master Damon. Within the older Exorcist’s eyes, she could feel judgement, even disdain for her proposition to join Faust. She did not enjoy the feeling, or the sentiment. She had come to join the Jedi, in order to learn a better way to defend the innocent, not sit within the confines of a compound, to witness the galaxy burn while the Council sat in debate. With a slow shake of her head, she spoke, adding a spiritual power behind her words

“The Galactic Alliance is still within its period of formation, a small worm who has entered Chrysalis, where it is in its most vulnerable state... Will we sit by and watch as the Sith, under Furion’s guidance, crush the life out of the very organization the Jedi helped found? The Order has become stagnant, due to its leadership. Without our help, and the destruction of Furion’s order, the Galactic Alliance will never grow to be the beautiful creature envisioned by its creators...”

Kyrie paused, letting her words sink in, before pressing on.

“The Galacitc Alliance was created by the bond between two forces of power, whom none of us could ever have imagined coming together, The Republic, under Aria, and the Empire, under Raven Zinthos, who was once a Sith... This opportunity, granted to us by Master Faust, allows us to remove the threat to our galaxy... I for one, stand with him. The time for debate and inaction is at an end... The time has come for action. I shall go to the front, to walk in the heart of darkness, in order to save the LIGHT! In order to save what we have created... Civilization. I only ask that I not stand alone as a representative of our Great Order.”

Dashel rose from his his seat and head to a small side door. This most recent encounter with Faust had drained something from, almost as if some dark wound had been lanced and the poison therein drained. He felt slightly light headed, weak from letting go of something he had not none he was holding onto. Without realizing it, when the mental wound the drained, Dashel had instinctively reached for the Force and that semi-mystical field felt far different than before, gone was the edge he had been perceiving lately and instead a calm, one in which information seemed just out of reach, as if waiting for him to fill himself with it and truly learn.

He desperately wanted to sink into a quiet meditation, but instead the Force enlightened him as to the plight of his Padawan. He stayed composed through the walk out of the side door, through the corridors and into the nearest fighter bay. A grin of pleasure crossed his face as he saw Kala waiting for him in a two-man light fighter, his flight helmet and weapon harness in hand.

She had one word to say to him as he buckled into the 10 point harness of the fighters rear seat, "Kharjo".

Dashel wasted little effort n replying, not asking why she knew but onlyt o conform that her surmise, timing and preperation were correct.

"Yes," said Dashel.

"Prepare for emergency debarking and atmospheric dive," said Kala.

Dashel did not reply having submerged himself fully in the Force to get a better ideas as to what his Padawan had gotten himself into, only to find out that the Force seemed to have him on the roof behind his Padwan battling his Padawan's assailants, or was it helping after his assailants were defeated? He did not get much time to decide as several massive and Jedi-like turns by Kala flung him sideways against the small cockpits walls as she continued to maneuver through the massed traffic that always encircled Coruscant, day and night.

The Sith Master had supposed Dahar had come to chase him down but that was not the Jedi's intention. He listened to Faust, and then to Kyrie. The young one's words were much in agreement with how Dahar felt. The newly forged Galactic Alliance must not be allowed to fall, and the Sith were infamous for sewing chaos and dissent. To Dahar there was more in his path than the strictness of the code. He knew what needed to be done and that evil must not be allowed to champion.

The Jedi was sure of himself, his strengths and his limits. He felt, however, that the young Kyrie may be getting herself in too deep. Reports of the apprentice's exploits were known to him and the council. She was certainly capable of handling tough situations and was on her way to becoming a great exorcist. Perhaps she was even ready for the trials. But Dahar also knew of Faust, and feared the fabled Sith would bring her too close to the Dark Side.

Dahar had already planned to ask to accompany Faust, to volunteer himself to work with this dark one to help bring down the greater evil. He hoped even to learn something new about himself and the Force in the process, things he had not yet discovered in service to the Jedi. Perhaps Faust could teach him this. With Kyrie now offering herself to the cause Dahar had even more reason to go.

"You are correct Faust, I find no reason to keep my feelings hidden. As far as your execution I do not feel it without warrant. You are a known terrorist and murderer," Dahar paused for a moment searching for right words, "But I am no judge, and it seems the jury has opted to let you go. I do not know the will of the Force, but I do know it has a hand on everything."

Dahar turned to Kyrie, "What you have chosen to undertake will be a daunting challenge. You will walk dangerously close to the Dark Side, perhaps even touch it. If you make it through this journey alive, and still a Jedi," Dahar hung on that last phrase for emphasis, "Then I will consider you amongst our ranks, a Jedi Knight." The Jedi Master looked towards Damon, and then back to Kyrie. "I know you are not volunteering yourself to earn our respect, young one, but you very well may."

"Faust, in the most basic way I can say it, I would like to work with you. I consider you an equal, a piece of the same puzzle we all fit in to. Friend? No. Enemy? We shall see, and that will be up to you. If you choose to harm this young one, or should you so choose to betray me, our alliance will end.

I come to you not on behalf of the Order but on behalf of the Force. I do not know where your true intentions lie, but I will discover them one way or the other. For now I will consider our objective to be to hunt down and eliminate the Dark Lord."

Dahar extended his hand, not as a sign of friendship, but for Faust to decide whether or not they would work together.

Darex didn't know what was going on, but when both Master Damon and Master Dahar stood up and left the meeting, he got a feeling of foreboding. This is how the disintegration of an Order begins, a voice whispered in his mind. But he pushed the feeling away. There wasn't anything he could do about it anyway. Master Dashel left soon afterward.

He raised an eyebrow and addressed the rest of the Council. "Well, now that Master Faust is gone, we can get back to business." He chose not to comment on Dashel, Damon and Dahar's sudden departures. "We need to discuss several things in light of what we have agreed here today.

"First, we need to focus on a plan of action for Black Sun. I would like Master Kirlocca and one other of you to head that. Decide the best way to deal with them, come up with a strategy, and present it to the Council when it is complete. You will receive whatever resources you need. This is one of our top priorities.

"Second, we need two of you focused on the Sith. One of you I want to focus on defensive ideas to protect the planets of the galaxy from Sith aggression. It will be up to you what that looks like, but I would like to see a better system of communication between the local governments and the Jedi, so that if the Sith do attack, we can respond quickly. The other needs to focus on tracking down the Sith. I know we just assigned Faust to that, but frankly, I'm sure none of us know how far we can trust him, so I'd like to have someone from our Council looking into this. Both of you would be required to regularly report on your progress, and again, once you have ideas, you will get access to the resources you need to implement them."

He clasped his hands in his lap. "Finally, on another matter, we have--" he glanced at his datapad, "--three hopefuls at our new facility on Lehon that are in need of masters. There is no excuse for any of us not to have apprentices. I would like volunteers right now to take them on, or I will assign them out. I have forwarded the information on them to your datapads." Pictures of Ads, Halo, and Adrian appeared on each master's datapads. It was clear he was going to take a hard line when it came to training the next generation. It had always been something close to his heart.

He then opened the floor. "So, who wants to take which project?"

FDY9u6P.png

Kirlocca remained silent and just simply watched the proceedings for a moment with a face that one might see within a game of gambling, such as Chance. He wasn't sure what the feeling was on the station fully, as he wasn't present on it. But one thing he did know, Faust left, as did a few other Masters. Keeping his face the same, he turned towards Darex, his fellow Grandmaster to hear him out on the matters at hand. Once Darex had finished, he spoke with a bit of restraint still in his voice.

<< Black Sun can be delayed. I still have needs to finish up in figuring out where they stand themselves. I will talk with the Vigo arrested here and then decide if a course of action is needed at all. But on top of that, we all should seek out an apprentice to have. It is important to bring up the next generation of Jedi. >>

Kirlocca then made a pause that was evident for all looking at him that he was going to continue speaking.

<< There has also been a request from the Senate to have a few Jedi sent there to help protect them against Bounty Hunters, as bounties were placed on quiet a few senators. I am sure that CorSec is already beginning an investigation, but to keep a good relationship with the Galactic Alliance, I would like one of our Jedi Knights sent to...keep them calm. >>

Onderin spoke up. He was a little annoyed at all the Master running after Faust after the Grand Master had dismissed him, but for now would put that aside and finish the council meeting, without them if necessary. "When you ask a Master to take the dangerous job of tracking down Sith strongholds at the same time as taking a padawan, you are putting that apprentice in danger as well, Master," he said. "I would take the job myself, but my own padawan is not nearly prepared to encounter a Sith Lord." He looked at Kirlocca. "This mission concerning the Senate seems like a good fit for me. As I'm sure you recall, Chief of State Devanus was once my apprentice. As much distaste as I have for politics, I also have the experience and the connections to make a job like that go smoothly."

Even if he didn't know most of the Senators, they would all know him. Hopefully, he had made a good enough impression that they would trust his word when it came to security. He turned back to Darex. "I'm sure Master Damon will be eager to hunt the Sith, and it sounds like Kirlocca can handle Black Sun for now. Maybe you should take the defense job yourself, Darex. I must admit that in our interactions with Faust my trust in Masters Damon and Raikanda is somewhat shaken."

He figured it needed to be said. Onderin didn't like showing doubt in the Council, but he had limited interactions with Dahar and Damon, and he hadn't been impressed in the meeting today. They seemed impulsive, almost malleable to Faust's suggestions. They seemed to hold hate for Faust in their hearts, and hate for the Sith. Even a righteous judgment or anger could cloud a Jedi's ability to read the will of the Force. It was important to be able to put aside one's emotions, even when dealing with someone as notorious as the Sith Lord they'd had before them. Especially when dealing with such people. When Onderin looked at the Order now, all the Jedi he'd come to interact with since resigning his military commission, he scratched his head in bewilderment. He freely admitted that he was not the ideal Jedi, especially with all the years he'd spent away from the Order. And yet now, after interacting with Adenna, Damon, and Dahar, he wondered if he was still one of the cooler heads.

Darex at least seemed to follow the will of the Force, even if it made him seem reluctant to engage the enemy at times. He was glad that Darex was the Grand Master rather than Dahar or Damon...

3C12kbA.png

What had since been a safe haven for Darla nd her children had now become a hubbub of Jedi activity. Darla wanted nothing to do with any of the Jedi. Masters, apprentices, council members all arrived on the EV. For so long it had been merely Darla and her family and close friends aboard the ship. Without any discussion with her, her fiancé had turned the place into a Jedi base of operations.

Darla wanted to leave.

Having that many Jedi around made the EV a target. The idea of them using the ship had been to stay safe while their children were young an vulnerable. Now they were in the center of Galaxy preparing for who knew what. It seemed that Jedi affairs were definitely coming between Darla and Darex. She didn't know what to do about it. Deep down she knew that he did what he did because he cared. He wanted to change the Galaxy somehow for the better. But none of that meant anything to her. All she cared about was her children.

Whilst Darex met with Jedi and Skye aided the injured, Darla stayed in her room with Nanny and the children.

She tried her best to stay calm and not get worked up. Why couldn't Darex just be with her and the children? Screw the rest of the Galaxy. He had paid his dues fighting for man years, why couldn't he just be with his family and be happy? Darla wanted nothing more than to go ar away with Darex and Skye and keep the children safe, away from the Jedi, away from the Sith, away from war and pain.

Why did Darex have to save the Galaxy?

Alone in their room, Darla sobbed while Nanny looked after Alana and Jax. After some time utterly alone she claimed herself down. What could she do right now to make herself feel better about the situation?

Darla decided to go for a walk. Instructing Nanny not to open the door to anyone except Skye or Darex, Darla had the droid lock her out. She wandered the large vessel collecting her thoughts. There were so many Jedi aboard. What was going on? Darla really had no idea.

Suddenly Darla felt a chill run down her spine. Her rarely used Force senses tingled with a presence that she had not felt in years. Could it be? Could it truly be him? Darla wantd to throw p and run away at the same time... Unless her mind was playing tricks on her, Faust was onboard. How the hell had he gotten onboard the EV? All of Darla's fears about her children being taken from her rushed over her. Who had let that monster onboard? Did Darex know?

Giving no more thought to the situation Darla ran back to her room. After Nanny had let her inside she locked the door and clutched both of her children to her, one in each arm. The babies could tell that their mother was upset and they both began to cry.

"It's alright. I've got you. It's alright. Everything's going to be ok."

Darla didnt believe the words herself and began to cry along with her children.

Rannrsig.jpg

"If you want action done then follow with Faust who will be accompanied by me. In the mean time I have to see to last moment of this council meeting." He eyed Dahar and Faust. He knew the mad man was enjoying this interaction, but Damon disdained everything about it."

Walking back into room he noticed Dashell was gone. His return was met with an awkward silence.

Wonderful. Having to stop Faust has done me harm yet again.

Looking at the room the atmosphere was heavy and thick. All glances and none of them he favored.

"I'm sorry for my sudden departure. I was trying to make sure Faust did not take liberty and walk off with Dahara and Kyrie. I do not want him walking around our ship unsupervised. I left them outside our door for the moment. They are waiting for my return."

If they thought he was rash for rushing off to prevent their sudden departure so be it. Things had to change and for better a worst the force did require action.

"The force wills us all in this room. For some of us it wills us to ponder and study. I've wondered and studied for decades in the galaxy." While his skin was not winkled, his eyes told his age. It has been a long 20 years since his arrival and joining of the order. A blink at how long a life is, but long enough to have at least start his journey. Its was interesting, his journey was taking him towards a path he did not know where it went. That was the thing of course, even if you did not know the destination, you must travel it and see where it leads.

"This Order. This council is not as it once was. When I was a younger man. My hair not as white and my eyes did not bare the flame it now does, this council was not only the shield that protected the galaxy, but was also the spear the stabbed at it when it came close and tried to pass our shield. We are not as we once were. I was not here when the darkest days reigned and the new alliance was tested. I am here though now as we take measures to protect what was made by the Order. I take no pleasure in doing this, but I am taking the means needed to protect what this Order has created. I am taking a padawan with me as well as the other Exorcist. We will walk with Faust and go where the darkness comes."

If the room was stuffy before, it was now harsh and its weight lethal.

"When I return from this journey I hope I find this Order in better shape. Clearly the resolve to do what is needed has faded from many here. The force tells you, but it seems many of you are deaf to its warnings. The night is coming, and I will make sure the darkness will not snuff us out."

Damon bowed his head and tapped his staff on the metal below his feet. Turning he said one last things.

"I will message as I can. May the force be with you all when the long night comes forth."

Exiting the room Damon returned to the group.

"I've made my peace with the Order. We are taking the action among us here. Before we leave I wish to visit the med bay and see if Xae will join us. If you have any concerns or questions speak now. This Order is changing and it will not be as it is now after. We must be prepared for what comes after."

Faust listens to Dahar's speech once more without expression. As the Jedi Master extends his hand, Faust takes it in a firm clasp, watching Damon over Dahar's shoulder hustle back to the Council room.

"I serve my own interests and for now they coincide with yours. For stability in the galaxy," he states. "Though you do not give yourself enough credit, Jedi. You may not be executioner per your code, but you are judge and as need be jury. With great power, comes that right... and the duty as well." He turns to Kyrie. "This duty obliges us to action. I assure you, I'm fighting just as hard as you for my vision of a single Galactic order." He disengages from the hand clasp and meanders a few steps closer to Damon and his final rebuttal with the Council. Not above stirring the pot and partially as spite for being rebuffed earlier, even as Damon gave his speech, Faust lingered in the doorway, his back to Dahar and Kyrie to conceal his expression from them and flashed the assembled Council a wide grin from over the exorcist's shoulder as Damon gave his piece. Faust quickly replaced it with a solemn expression as the Jedi Exorcist concluded, giving the air of having worn it the whole time when Damon concluded his speech and turned around to speak with him.

He listens to Damon on his return, then nods. He was less than comfortable with being surrounded by a mass of exorcists, given his last hostile encounter with one, but he saw wisdom in that. "To the Med Bay," he agrees. "I believe I know the way from one of my last ah... visits here, though our time grows short. I am attunded to the pulse of the Dark and can feel it waxing." he adds. "We will need to plan our next move after this. We can either hunt down someone to lawfully use this dagger on in hopes of locating the Dark Lord, or start by hunting for clues at old Sith bases and temples,. It would be easy if I could just use my attunement to the Dark to sniff out the Sith, but alas, no right Master of the Light or Dark has that power unaided." With his Jedi "escort" Faust heads towards the Med Bay.

This is a Council of Fools, too far blinded by their own standards, their own inaction, to see how wretched this galaxy has truly become, simply because they refused to stand when it truly mattered. Now, Kyrie, you stand apart from them, divided by idealism, driven by a desire for Justice, and by your own wish to keep this civilization, your Galactic Alliance, from becoming corrupted at its core by the wiles of the Sith Order. The Tapestry is fraying, it is in need of repair. You choose action; an action you hope will allow you to drive a stake into the heart of the demon, before it devours all you hold dear. After all, the grand tapestry cannot be woven from the dark, as shadows do not bend to the will of the light...

The soft light, emanating from the glowpanels mounted into the elevated ceiling of the Eternal Vigilance, sparkled upon the whitewashed tiling, giving the hallway a bright sheen, but within its brilliance, Kyrie could only see the shades of grey, the hypocrisy, and the arrogance, of an Order within which she could feel her trust beginning to wane. The tiling felt icy beneath her boots, just as the Council had seemed. She could barely wait to get off the ship, and to help the galaxy once more. With each step, she matched those of Faust, walking by his side, her longbow still in hand, her ebon cowl draped across her shoulders. The Sith master intrigued her, in a mysterious way. He was fully Sith, and even that thought caused her mind to fill with pure flame, a desire to strike down those who had caused her so much pain.

The Dark is waiting... You think that the light is the only way the galaxy can turn? Your day is an illusion. With each victory you claim, it is only the dark who wins...

Kyrie set her teeth, and clenched her jaw, feeling the pale, scarred skin of her face draw tight, outlining the musculature of her face. It would be a hard-fought battle, to escape the corruption of the dark. She breathed in, partaking of the recycled air of the ship, feeling the tang of ozone upon her tongue. She began to calm her speeding heart, and focused upon the songs she could hear within The Force, finding within them her pure fire. With a small sigh, Kyrie glanced up from the tiling and looked into the ice-blue eyes of the Sith Master that walked beside her. She had to face that which she feared, in order to be able to combat it effectively. She smiled at him kindly, and she let a feeling of goodwill flow through The Force towards him, who should have been her enemy. Her emerald eyes alit with flame, and with her mind, she reached out to her master within the veil of The Force, to touch Xae’s mind, to carry a candle within and alight her consciousness.

Master, we are coming your way... I have brought guests...

“Home sweet home. Or something like that.” It had been years since Armiena had seen the familiar lines of this flying relic. Coincidentally, it had been just as long since Armiena had taken the helm of a snubfighter, least of all one as light as the Switchblade. The tiny fighter might have been one of Correlli’s last creations before the war ended, and it was a masterpiece. As slender as its namesake, the Switchblade was shaped like a battered blade, and was as speedy and agile as any ship that its pilot had had the privilege to fly. Now, in blatant defiance of Coruscant’s low-orbit traffic ordinances, Armiena was pushing its oversized thrusters to their limit.

This tiny little interceptor—or scouting vessel—was an absolute joy to fly. The Switchblade didn’t so much soar as it did dance in atmosphere. The smooth, needle-like flight surfaces scythed through the air with ease, making the diminutive ship feel more like a living creature than a machine. But in low orbit—oh, in low orbit—this fighter handled like a rollercoaster that had jumped its tracks. It responded to the slightest touch with dramatic, breakneck maneuvers that punished its pilot with enormous G-forces. The thing could flip end-over-end without end in a fraction of a second—and with a careful application of the thrusters—blitz off into the aether with a rush that nearly drained the blood from Armiena’s head.

Every few seconds, Armiena felt as though she was going to black out. And she loved it.

Pity there was almost no use for a ship like this anymore.

Fifty klicks out from the Eternal Vigilance, Armiena signaled the ancient cruiser and transmitted her old identification code. It was up-to-date—that is, it was up-to-date at the time of her disappearance from the Jedi Order, and was now horribly obsolete and only highlighted just how long she had been gone. “EV. This is Draygo, requesting permission to land. I would like to speak to…” Armiena paused. Despite all the ways that her mother and her friends had helped her over the last few months—and they had dragged her against her will out of the coldest pits of her own personal Hell and back into something closer to sanity—Misal had not bothered to update her on the status of the Jedi Order.

“That is, I’d like to speak to the, ah, Council at their convenience. I don’t suppose Master Trevelian is on board?” Maybe Darex was somewhere on board. It would be better to meet with an old friend than the entirety of the Council.

A shift in the Force—whoever was serving as aerospace traffic control was pleasantly surprised—and a beacon lit up to guide Armiena’s flight to one of the less-occupied hangars.

Switchblade, you are cleared for landing in hangar bay three. Just follow the beacon in. It’s good to have you back, Master Da—Draygo.” Armiena didn’t miss the fumbling of her surname, nor the lack of mention of her friend. Scanning the Force for familiar presences, she gunned the engines—knocking the wind out of her in the process—and rushed towards her destination.

Twenty klicks out, she felt him. And also him.

And memories of The Fall. Of Manaan. Of Gala.

Of her own weapon shooting down her apprentice.

Of her hands—Faust’s hands—doing unspeakable things to innocent beings across hundreds of worlds.

Armiena couldn’t remember what happened next, but later she found that her ship had settled in Hangar Three on the port side of the Eternal Vigilance, grounded with magnetic clamps and surrounded by an armed detachment. She took a moment to work it out. The EV must have seized her ship with a tractor beam and guided it into the hangar.

What the hell had just happened?

As she pondered the events of the last few minutes, one of the security guards approached and nimbly sprung up onto the fuselage of the interceptor. Creeping towards the cockpit, he peered through the frosted transparisteel and lowered his weapon.

Armiena couldn’t read his lips, but he said with mixed tones of confusion and reverence: “It’s Darkfire.”

drayyy.png

The act of a simple handshake was, in itself, not that simple. There are many portals in the body which allow the transfer of energy, the hands being a strong one. With a firm clasp both Dahar and Faust allowed part of themselves to be felt in the other. Through the Force the connection would never disappear. Dahar would be able to sense Faust, at least more than someone who had never come in contact with the Sith Master. At the same time Dahar had opened up a vulnerability in himself, as the evil one would be able to sense him as well.

Besides that Dahar was flooded with completely foreign feelings and emotions. Firstly noticeable was the raw power this man possessed. Dahar too could call on the Force with a whim, unleashing furies that could bring great havoc. But Faust's power was different. It was more, guttural perhaps, coming from deep within. Dahar had studied the Dark Side, knew of its lure and powers, but had never embraced it. As a Jedi Master it was important for him to understand his enemies. Users of the Dark Side drew from a different fountain. As Dahar understood it was highly emotional which would explain why Faust's power seemed interior. The sensation was... intriguing to Dahar. He had never been exposed to a Sith he wasn't needed to eliminate.

Through the Force Dahar reached out to Darex and Kirlocca. Both of them had given him training at some point, so even across the galaxy Kirlocca should be able to feel him. He let out a sense of assurance. He wanted them to know that his sudden departure from the room was for a situation well within his control.

Dahar stayed with the group as they journeyed to the medbay. He used his experience as a Jedi Master to keep in communion with the other Jedi in his group, Kyrie and Damon. He paid special attention to Kyrie as he feared for her safety. To Dahar she seemed an attractive young woman who reminded him strangely of the women he used to know back at court, as a member of the Adumar nobles. He had worked with young female Jedi before, having trained Adenna, but the way he saw Kyrie was a bit different. He would make it his responsibility to protect her.

Darex nodded at Onderin's suggestion that he take charge of defense. It was the project he personally was most interested in anyway. "Agreed."

He was saddened by Onderin's other statement about his confidence in Damon and Dahar, but he couldn't disagree. Particularly in light of Damon's pompous speech and departure with Faust on his heels. He couldn't help but feel that the Jedi Master was playing right into Faust's hands, and there was nothing he could do about it, for Damon had just announced his resolution of never taking advice or orders from the council. He felt Dahar reaching out to him through the Force, encouraging him that he knew what he was doing, but Darex couldn't help but doubt. It looked like the young master was flirting dangerously close to the Dark Side. But for now, there was nothing to be done but keep an eye on them as much as he could. Hopefully, the masters would send in regular reports as to their progress. But he couldn't help the lingering feeling that he was somehow failing the Order, although how he wasn't sure.

He took a deep breath and released it slowly, and as he did so, he released his worry and annoyance at the other masters sudden departure from the meeting. They should have at least had the decency to wait until we were finished, especially since Master Damon in particular was so eager to get it started. It was rude. But never mind.

He was about to dismiss the council when his comm blinked, notifying him that Master Draygo had arrived and wanted to speak with the Council. He smiled. He hadn't seen Armiena in ages. He glanced up. "If you don't mind," he said to the few masters that remained, "I've just been informed that Master Draygo has arrived and wants to speak to the Council. If you gentlemen have other places to be, then I will speak to her alone; otherwise, please stay and listen to what she has to say."

He sent a message back, telling security to send her through and make sure she arrived at the council chambers. As they waited for her to come, Darex couldn't help but feel a sudden pang of terror from Darla. He bit his lip. He had hoped that Faust's presence on the station would be of a short enough duration that Darla wouldn't have to worry, but he should have known better than that. He reached out to her and the twins, exuding calm in the Force and resisting with all his strength the urge to abandon the meeting and run to them. You're alright. You know I'd never let anything happen to you, was the unspoken message.

FDY9u6P.png

A notification light above Dashel's former chair blinked once before a holo of him sprang into existence, his face covered by the oxygen mask of a space fighter. His hands reached up and removed the mask so that he could speak clearly to the assembled masters.

"Pardon my abrupt departure. It seems my Padawan got himself into some kind of scrape and I felt a need to go to his aid. I was wrong in thinking the Force prompted me Kharjo seems to have handled himself very well, evading capture and surviving a fall from Senate Plaza as if he were the second coming of Anakin Skywalker. For the average Coruscanti, it probably just seems to be another crazy jedi moment," said Dashel with a hint of amusement in his voice."

"Now," he continued, "While I wait in orbit above Coruscant for clearance to Senate Plaza to check on my Padawan and investigate this mess, what shall we discuss?"

Kirlocca needed to address Adenna, but with the sudden mention of Armiena held him for a bit. She was not long ago with CorSec, whom Kirlocca had secretly placed allowed for Kitt Fitt's identity to be hidden within CorSec. Her presence drove his mind to wonder why she would make a return, even to speak on an issue, as she left the Order, handing down the reigns to Kitt. If he recalled correctly, she felt a need to remain out of Jedi business. So Kirlocca hinted with his motion within the hologram that he did wish to stay and hear her out. Plus, she might be an asset later on in the redemption of Aryian Darkfire.

Once inside the medical bay again he saw Xae still in recovery. This whole series of events has degraded into cluster of which even Damon was unsure of where to go. Xae was quiet while she rested. Rest was good. It meant that when she awoke she would be able to join them.

"The Jedi I was hoping to join us is clearly still not ready. I'm leaving her a message for when she awakes. After her recovery is completed I am hoping she will join us."

Every thing that he was told him this was the wrong course of action. Hunting Sith to find the dark lord, the means of hunting sith, working with Faust, forcing a meeting to start just to abandon it. Was this the mark he wished to leave upon the Order? Was he no better than the same masters that he questioned as ineffective? If he was better he did not know, he only knew that his course of action was not theirs. He was the light against the dark. The night was coming and rather or not the Order would survive he could not say. He only hoped that his actions would not lead to its down fall.

Taking a data pad he wrote a note for her. She was quite possibly one of the few Jedi in immediate vicinity he could trust. He didn't even know her, but he had little choice. On the pad he left the information on how the group could be found and a personal message. This might be his last attempt to salvage control over a matter that was no long in anyone's realm of control.

Once he was done he handed it to an assistant and made clear it was for her eyes only, not even the council was to be granted access to it. This letter contained to much information to simply be seen by anyone.

Since his need to be in the med bay was over he lead the group to the docking bay. Along the way he sent a message to his supposed or at least soon to be padawan.

"Ariel, were leaving. If you wish to come meet me at the docking bay at once."

A silence lingered among the group as they traveled. There would be no merry tales of happiness and memories of companionship. There task was one that Jedi were not supposed to do. They were searching for and attempting to defeat the Dark Lord. To stop this silence for now at least though he proposed his plan.

"You are right Faust. We must find ourselves a means to use the dagger on. Once we leave here we head to and old sith temple and hopefully it will grant us information towards finding some. I would prefer your attunement as it requires no need for us to use a life. For that to work though we need a place rich in the force for both sides of the force. I suggest Ossus as it would allow yourself and I to empower your search." Thinking for a moment as travel was a concern for all involved in this matter.

"We will take two ships for the moment down to the planet below. We will park your ship and you will join with us. If you don't like that idea fine leave. From there off to Ossus to start the search. After that we will find a Sith lord and then we will find where Julio is..." The silence returned quickly as they arrived at the docking bay.

"Unless some one else has a better course of action. I am aware this place you at a disadvantage Faust, but I am not doing this to make you happy, I'm doing what must be done to protect us from your past habits of betrayal and sabotage. "

There was a sharp hiss of escaping air as the seal on the canopy was breached and the atmosphere in her ship mixed with that of the Eternal Vigilance. Armiena nodded towards the security guard while she released the clasps that held her fighter’s breath mask to her face—a sharp pull along with an irritated wince, and the rubbery material peeled away, leaving marks where it had been fixed to her skin.

“Welcome back, Master Darkfire—sorry, I mean Draygo.” The security guard holstered his weapon—a Stokhli Stun Spray, from the looks of it—and extended a hand to help Armiena down from the fuselage of the needle-like fighter. She gratefully accepted. The prodigal Jedi was accustomed to freighters and other large craft, where she could move around and stretch out during flight. The Switchblade, a smaller craft than most other starfighters, had virtually no space to move around and Armiena could feel a cramp threatening to seize up her leg while she gingerly stepped down to the hangar deck.

“May I ask what the SIth you were doing? You would have gone kamikaze if our tractor operator hadn’t been on the ball.”

“Sorry—I… wasn’t expecting to feel Faust’s presence here on this ship. I overreacted.” Armiena sighed inwardly. She had thought she was recovering so well… and all that it had taken to trigger a relapse was to sense the presence of one of her enemies at an unexpected moment. Clearly, the veteran Jedi had a long way to go before she fully recovered from the crucible of the last year. Her hands unconsciously traced the belt that she wore over her black combat unitard, feeling the hilts of the five lightsabers on her waist. Only two were truly her own, but the feel of the cold metal was comforting nonetheless.

“Whatever. In any case, they’re waiting for you. Follow me.”

“Now? For Force’s sake, I said at their convenience…” Armiena had forgotten the tendency of the Jedi Council to sidetracked on every new development. It would have been better to meet privately with an old friend, someone she trusted with her life and soul, rather than the entire Council. Still, her grousing didn’t last long. To see the Eternal Vigilance restored brought her a great deal of pride. The last time that she had seen the ancient vessel was after it had been nearly destroyed by a drone attack on Manaan, but the shipyards at Sullust had worked wonders. The venerated frigate had been more than restored; it felt energized, and Armiena could feel the vitality of the vessel all about her in an unending electric thrum.

Before long, Armiena and her guide had arrived outside the Council Chamber. She took a moment to try to compose herself. It would be impossible to hide the trauma of the past. The dark circles under her eyes indicated the lack of sleep; she had visibly lost weight; her overall physical condition was not quite the combat-ready muscularity that it had been in the past. Never mind; Armiena needed the Jedi, and the Jedi… needed her, perhaps.

She stepped in. There, sitting on the Council, were Darex, her old friend; Kirlocca; Starlisk. All of them were known to her, although she had never worked much with the last. They were all good men for the job, and a good Wookiee.

“Masters.” Armiena was visibly nervous. Little more than a year ago, she had counted herself among this august body—she had even led them—and now, she was returning as an unknown quantity. Worse, Jedi Masters who departed in circumstances as disastrous as hers had a tendency to return with some degree of hostility. She walked into the center of the room with bounding strides… and bowed, deeply, sincerely. There was none of her customary sarcasm or casualness in this traditional gesture of respect—it was as though Armiena had practiced this motion a thousand times in order to get this greeting just right.

“Kirlocca, Starlisk… Darex. Force, it’s good to see you.” She blinked hard and rubbed away at something in her right eye. “This is awkward. I’ve been thinking about this moment for months, and now that I’m here I have no bloody idea what to do next. I don’t suppose you’d mind giving me an update on the state of the galaxy, since I’ve been on… shall we say… convalescent leave?”

The unspoken question was whether there was any news regarding her ex-husband.

drayyy.png

Faust silently observes Xae as she lies in healing, his eyes flicking over to her caretaker for a moment, his face unreadable. "If she is this far out of it, she may be a liability," he agreed. "And we cannot afford to waste any more time." He shakes his head, then turns about face to exit out the med-bay back towards the docks, pausing to give Kyrie a glance. "I'm sorry child, but your master cannot aid us at this time." He gives her a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "That said, I think between Masters Dahar and Damon, and my own skills, there's probably nothing in the galaxy we need fear except fear itself... though I think that means the Dark Side." he gives a wry chuckle. "Even so, I think we can handle any threat of the Dark... or," he adds, with a glance in the general direction of the Council, "or of the Light that may impede us."

Fear... As he spoke those words hefelt seperate spikes of fear rise up in the station, highlight two old and familiar presences.

Darla... and dear Mrs. Darkfire...

His feelings reach out as he walks, probing softly for each of them. Darla he could feel thick on the Force, wracked by emotions and fear, bleeding out more information than she should have. He felt he should do something to... reassure his hosts of his good intentions and decided to try and send out a couple messages through the Force. Relax Darla... my business was with Darex the Council... and not... he pauses, getting a sense of her emotions as they lie bundled up. You can assure your.... children, oh my, children is it now? You can assure them Uncle Faust has no interest in them. For Armiena, it's only a short, simple greeting since she felt his presence and it would be rude not to acknolwedge it. Hello, my dear sister-in-law. It's been far, far too long. Some other time perhaps? The implication therein was her husband was known to be a Sith, Darth Ares, and since both were part of the nominal Brotherhood of the Sith now....

That diversion delt with, he turns and speaks to Damon again. "I have no issue with your travel arrangments. Besides, my fighter can only hold one other person comfortably, though I'm surprised one of you doesn't want to keep an eye on me. Ossus may not be the best course of action. Your efforts in trying to bypass the dagger with lightside power won't work, no more than Jedi have been able to access Sith holocrons hidden across the ages. If it's going to work, it will need blood. I still believe this galaxy has enough wanted criminals and the like where using it would be no great loss." His eyes close for a moment. "The dagger aside, Onderin mentioned that Furion presented himself to the order recently in search of aid before escaping I believe. Was that on this station, or at another location? Are there any clues he may have left behind?"

From what Kirlocca saw on Coruscant, it looked as if maybe Armiena was a bit nervous to have this meeting. Although, he was certain that such a thought could become misread, as his hologram image wasn't displaying what he was really feeling, as that was obvious throughout the meeting. But Kirlocca could relate to her wanting to know the state of the galaxy.

<< Traumatic as always. Filled with both good and bad. CorSec has proven that they are able to handle the more local problems of the galaxy, leaving the Sith namely to the Jedi. The Order itself may have suffered a slight setback, depending upon your point of view. But then again... that's always been an issue with the Jedi. Too many different points of view. >>

Kirlocca left out Aryian. He didn't think it would be wise to bring up something so close to home on a woman who DID look a bit razzed, whether she would admit it or not. And hearing news that the essence of a husband being trapped within a clone and used for the Dark Side... It hurt and strung Kirlocca as a close friend of Darkfire.

Onderin was immediately glad to know that Armiena Draygo was still out in the galaxy. She disappeared from time to time, and it seemed that she hadn't really associated with the Order since stepping down as Grand Master, but she was a tremendous force for good, and it was good to have an ally like that. Over the years, although it wasn't saying much, she had probably been Onderin's connection to the Order more than anyone else, even if it just meant she stormed into his office and demanded he answer for a poor decision every now and then. Still, he'd performed the ceremony that had wed her to Aryian Darkfire, and though he didn't know what had happened between them since, he felt in some way invested in sorting that situation out. Even now he could see the unspoken question on her face, but yet noted how Kirlocca left it unanswered, perhaps deliberately.

The Jedi Master disagreed. This woman was owed the truth. "I can see you wish for news on Aryian," he said, cutting right to the point. "Last we knew, he is alive, at least, but associating himself with the Sith. It's a situation that makes little enough sense that I think we have to consider the possibility that either Master Darkfire is undercover or perhaps that he is under the influence of an external force." He looked at Kirlocca briefly, then back at Armiena. "Master Kirlocca seems certain that he can bring Aryian back."

3C12kbA.png