Corellia

Darth Jade

The Ferro R slid out of hyperspace, high above the surface of Corellia. It was the first time the ship had ever been to this destination. Short of any fanfair or celebration, however, the sleek vessel quietly began to descend into the atmosphere above Coronet City.

On board, Tares watched the central holographic display morph into a projection of the ship’s descent. The whole process was happening on autopilot, giving him time to transmit the necessary clearance and landing requests. The ship was on target to land directly at Solaris HQ, away from the usual traffic of the city.

“Thank you, by the way.” Jaina had said. Tares felt the slight pressure of her hand resting on his arm.

“No need.” He said with a smile, “In many ways, I owe a thanks. This trip allowed me to get out, away from all of this.” He said with a motion toward the viewport. The large trio of spires of the Solaris headquarters were beginning to dominate the view ahead.

“I'm not sure about moving forward. I still need to send a request for an audience with the Imperial Remnant. I also have some more… personal… things I have been putting off.”

The ship gently glided down to a landing. Tares felt the deck plates shift as the landing struts took the weight of the ship.

He turned his attention back to Jaina, “You two are welcome to stay on the Ferro, or I can arrange some accommodations inside the Towers. My home is your home….”

tares.jpg

As they settled into the landing pad adjoining the architecturally exquisite Solaris building, Jaina thought for a moment about prying questions into the personal affairs to which he had alluded. Drowning her own demons in assisting with the concerns of others might have been hypocritical, but if nothing else, it was productive. However, the speed with which he buried the topic told Jaina to give it a rest.

"Thank you," she said again to his offer of lodging, feeling the humility of her station. While Jedi traditionally took a vow of unattachment, most were connected to the pursestrings of the Order. Jaina still found herself lacking in official connection to the Jedi, and in truth, she wasn't sure she wanted it, but it meant that those resources were closed to her. The gems Delta had given her back on Coruscant were tucked into her bag, and those would suffice for collateral to eventually find a more permanent home for Tirzah and herself.

"If Tirzah is still asleep, I might opt not to wake her. She's had quite the ordeal, and I don't think either of us mind making the Ferro our home for a little while longer. If you'll excuse me, I'll go check on her." Hoisting herself from out of the seat, she made her way out of the cockpit.

When she opened the door to the crew quarters, Tirzah was sleeping peacefully, her chest falling and rising with steady grace. Jaina paused in the door for just a moment, studying her. In slumber, she looked much more like a child than a woman. With a wistful smile, Jaina entered the room to collect her bag. Planting a kiss on her daughter's forehead, she pressed her extra comlink into Tirzah's palm. Exiting the room and letting the door hiss shut, she recorded a brief hologram, which would be activated the next time the door opened.

"Tirzah, we're on Corellia. You're safe as long as you stay on the ship, so please, don't open the door for any reason. Any reason. I'm going to take care of some things with Master Tares. If you need me before we return, the comlink I left for you is linked to mine."

Pulling her comlink out of the bag, she checked it once more--and resisted the urge to hurl it against the bulkhead. With a heavy sigh, she tapped out a response. Xae had also responded, letting her know that everything on board the Ravenhammer was stable enough to be safe. She recorded a brief message for Master Kirlocca, and had just sent it when an alert came in from the Holonet update. She made her way toward the cockpit as the miniature hologram of Raven spoke of a vendetta against the Sith Empire and Black Sun. The message brought with it a sinking feeling as she wondered briefly what the Imperial Head of State's ultimatum would mean for Raynuk, Emily, and little Raia...

As she reentered the cockpit, she held the comlink aloft. "Have you seen this?" She sighed. "Things just got a lot more interesting in the galaxy.

"If you don't mind, I'd love to come along and get some fresh air. I think I could use it after spending the better part of a week shipbound. Tirzah's still resting, and I think she learned her lesson about opening the door to strangers," Jaina finished with a wry grin.

((Edited to add comm to Kirlocca))

Edited by Guest

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...

As Jaina left to check on her daughter, Tares debated whether or not he could put off the inevitable anymore. He looked out the window towards the glistening shimmer skipping off of the towers in front of him. The sun was just going down as they had arrived, meaning everyone had gone home for the evening. He decided to take care of his business, knowing that he wouldn't have to deal with any major issues until the morning.

Taking his comm out, he first sent a message to the head of the board, letting him know of his arrival. After that, he sent another message to his technology chief to begin the process of retrieving Jaina's ship. Finally, there was one more message he intended to send off in reply to something that had been sent to him during the trip. Before he could being to input the words, he paused. His muscles tensed against the screen of the comm. Not knowing why, he immediately shut off the comm and put it back in his pocket, deciding there would be enough time in the future to deal with the other issues.

By the time he had centered himself once more, he heard the footsteps from Jaina entering the bridge again. He turned back to see her.

"Have you seen this?" She asked while proceeding to play a message from the Imperial Head of State.

The ultimatum was news to him, but not a surprise. He had gotten the sense that this Raven was completely intent on following through on her words. This was no doubt a first step of many towards shaping the Empire into what she envisioned.

"A lot more interesting indeed." Tares confirmed. "I wouldn't mind if you joined me at all. In fact, I was hoping you would come along."

He lifted himself from the seat and caught his weight on the deck plate. Proceeding to the landing ramp, he punched a button on the wall to open the ship's main entrance. The cool breeze of the Corellian evening flooded in to the cargo hold.

"May I give you the tour?" He asked Jaina....

tares.jpg

"Please, lead the way," Jaina gestured with an open palm as the pair debarked into the cool of the day. The ramp hissed shut behind them to safely cloister Tirzah within.

The vivid sunset splashed color across the patterned clouds that dotted the sky, and as they walked toward the entrance of Solaris Headquarters, Jaina took no small pleasure in the peace of the moment. While her thoughts kept tending to the rift she had caused onboard the Ravenhammer, and the pain she could sense through her link to Raynuk had refused to abate, the troubles of the wider galaxy seemed as far away as if they were carried on the faltering Corellian breeze.

Temporarily, anyways. For the time being, she settled for sending what measure of peace and quietude she could manage back through her link to Raynuk, and instead brought her attention to the present and to Tares.

"So, you're actually the guy in charge here?" she asked, with an impressed tilt of her head toward the towering trinity of spires as they grew closer. "How did you make your way from Master of the Jedi Order to CEO of Solaris?"

Edited by Guest

53bzzl2.png

"The 'guy in charge here' might be a bit of an overstatement. Glorified babysitter seems to be my daily role." Tares said as they moved through the gardens away from the Ferro. They followed along the twisting path through the shaded trees. Tares found himself deliberately taking the long way to maximize their time outside.

The garden area was virtually a large field of foliage equidistant between the three spires that rose up to circle one another, coming close to each other without ever touching. The two of them eventually came across a central reflection pool, triangular in footprint but with soft, rounded corners. The gently distorted reflection of one of the towers shimmered in the water.

"This was my brother's company. I joined the Jedi, Drake joined the business world." Tares began to explain, "He built all of this up from nothing. Solaris was never as big as KVC or CEC, but he built it to a point that really impacted the Corellian sector. Kind of funny since he wasn't even around here."

Tares looked over to Jaina to gauge her unspoken reaction. Reading faces and emotions had never been his strong suit.

"He spent day and night, pouring every ounce of energy he had into this company. Until one day, he didn't. He simply disappeared from the known galaxy: set a course for the Unknown Region and was never seen or heard from again." He continued, "We were both orphaned growing up, so there wasn't really anyone else to track him down or even mourn him. I left the Order, partly because of his disappearance, and partly because of the usual politics. His disappearance put a hitch in all the philosophy I was spouting to younglings and padawans. It seemed all too hypocritical. So I left. Came here, took the controlling shares that Drake had left me, and I have been trying to keep this place afloat ever since. Not that it needs much help... despite my frustrations with the people who work here sometimes, they do a good job of keeping everything together."

Tares slowly approached the edge of the reflection pool and knelt down. From his vantage point, the reds and oranges of the evening sky stretched across the calm waters. "Jaina, can I ask you a question? When you came back... or were brought back... I'm still not sure on that one, but anyways... what propelled you to go and find Tirzah? How did you know she was even still out there to be found after all that time?" He asked....

tares.jpg

Family. Of course it was family. Family seemed to be the thorn in the side of the Jedi Order. No great wonder, then, that such emotional attachments had been forbidden by the Jedi of old. A caste of knights with obvious weak points, emotional strings to be pulled--they were ineffective soldiers. Even in today's Order, where familial attachments had become more acceptable, it seemed that such entanglements still cost the Order some of its most dedicated members. Tares wove her a tale that sounded all too familiar, and in it, she could divine that the mixed bag of his sentiments on this particular topic ran deeper than she would touch in a single conversation.

The blush of the fading light slanted almost horizontally into Jaina's eyes, and as Tares' winding path brought them to the edge of the ornamental pool, she took a seat on the grass, damp from recent watering. On a sudden impulse, she tugged her boots off and plunged her bare feet into the cold water. More than refreshing, the sharp contrast in temperatures seemed to sharpen her mind, ground her to the present. Intentionally, she let his question ruminate, her gaze on the painted horizon.

"She was my first thought," Jaina explained, eyes flickering to the now-disrupted reflection in the pool, where ripples emanated out from the point at which her ankles broke the surface tension. "I woke up with a voice in my head screaming, 'Where is she?' and I couldn't get rid of it. Maybe it was the Force, maybe just motherly intuition, I don't know--but somehow I just knew she needed me to find her."

She trailed off for a moment, relishing the quiet. The sun had slipped below the horizon line, and the brilliant oranges were fading into dusky pinks. There was a calm here barely even matched by some of the Jedi Temples she had visited. I wonder if it's like this during business hours, she mused, a smirk playing on the corner of her expression.

"I expected her to be an adult given the time elapsed, but I guess the Force decided that I deserved a second chance at motherhood." As Jaina spoke again, quirking her chin up to look at Tares, she was struck by the appearance of his eyes. Normally brilliant blue, they shone nearly purple in the reddish light of the dusk. "Out of curiosity, why do you ask?"

53bzzl2.png

Could it be possible? Joelle thought to herself, Could I actually have a connection to the Force?? After today's events, the idea didn't seem as crazy as it had when the suggestion was first made to her.

During her first year at university, she had mentioned during a class discussion early in her History of the Jedi 101 course that she understood the concept of Force premonitions. After all, for as long as she could remember, she had experienced very strong feelings about some situations, especially when danger was involved. For example, there was the time when she was ten where she had an urge to race all the way across her family's backyard to a tree her younger brother was climbing. Fortunately, she obeyed the urge, just in time to break his fall before he hit the ground when he lost his footing 5 meters up, likely saving him multiple broken bones at the very least. She'd shared her experience with the expectation that others would join in with their own similar stories. Instead, she'd gotten exclamations of "That's amazing!" and even a few looks that made her quite glad she'd shared the specific example, rather than the general fact of what she now recognized as an unusual gift.

Her professor had defused the situation by mentioning other non-Force-sensitive examples of strong intuition, such as the link often found between identical twins, or that which parents sometimes have concerning their children. Then she moved the topic of discussion completely away from the Force itself. By the end of class, Joelle had mostly forgotten the awkwardness after her story. Until Dr. Paladin called out to her as she was leaving class, "Ms. K'smet, a moment of your time before you leave, please."

Joelle turned and stepped back toward the professor at her desk, "Yes? I only have a minute or two. I have another class right after this one."

"In that case, would you be available to stop by during my office hours this afternoon? I'd like to speak with you in private about the story you shared during class."

Joelle's heart skipped a beat in fear. Oh no! The reactions of her classmates had caused her to recognize her strong intuition was far more unusual than she had ever before realized, and "unusual" is so often seen as "dangerous." On the other hand, Dr. Paladin had redirected the attention from her earlier, so perhaps that wouldn't be the case here. "Yes, professor."

xDS3U7I.jpg

Continuing the J.Net Revival in 2017

Pittsburgh Champions

Steelers: 6 Time Super Bowl Champs

Penguins: 5 Time Stanley Cup Champs

Someday the Pirates will REALLY get their act together...

A message comes in for Jaina.

Jaina. I am sorry to hear that the temple was found that way. I feel a slight regret for sending you. Hopefully no one got hurt. The Imperial remnant appears to be a good alignment with, but I want for the Jedi Council to agree to that choice before I send word to Head of State Raven Zinthos. I am glad to hear that Xae thought of you as worth to carry the rank of Jedi Knight. I agree with her stance and would have done the same. Don't feel a need to change the way you have been. You are always welcomed at the Jedi Temple. Speaking of which... Dahar has stepped down as Grandmaster. I want for key members of the Order to report in, only through holoprojector to make their vote on Grandmaster. From there, a Council will be formed. I will be moving the Order off Tython and setting up on Ossus. All Jedi can have the old Praxeum here as the main place to go for things. May the Force be with you. Jedi Master Kirlocca.

Tares moved to join Jaina at the edge of the reflection pool. Sitting on the damp grass, he worked on removing his footwear. The tight leather straps resisted his attempts at first. He had forgotten he still had his suit on. The stresses of the trip had all but hardened the business attire into place. The clothing almost felt like a second skin as that point.

Finally, the shoes loosened and came off. He dipped his feet into the water, feeling the sharp spike of the cold rushing up his shins.

As Jaina explained her feelings after coming back, Tares listened with an almost analytical intent. He took stock, comparing the feelings she described with his own, seeing whether they matched up or differed. The further along she went, the more he began to realize how different things were. Something was off. Something was missing.

"Why do you ask?" Jaina inquired.

Tares was still lost in his analytical thought as he began to reply, "Oh, I don't know. I think I just keep expecting to feel some kind of automatic, primal instinct. There should be some kind of trigger that kicks in, right?"

He fell silent in anticipation. Looking over, Tares caught sight of Jaina's face bathed in the last rays of the evening glow. "Obviously, I'm not making any sense." He assumed aloud before angling his body position toward Jaina, "While we were on Raxus, I received a comm from my tech guys here. An old Action IV freighter came into the Gateway for repairs on a comm array unit. We'll often run serial numbers on parts we repair or replace to make sure nothing is stolen."

He paused for a moment, "This array had the same serial number as the one from my brother's ship: the same one he disappeared on. There's virtually no way it's not the same one."

"This is the first hint of evidence we've discovered since he disappeared. Yet, nothing has changed. I should be feeling something, right? I should be jumping up to resume the search like any family does, right? Instead, that natural drive seems to be missing. I could just as easily get a bit to eat." He stated as a matter-of-fact.

"Speaking of which, are you hungry? I know a little burger place down the street from here." He said....

tares.jpg

The brilliant pink and purple of the evening, lit the sky with beautiful waves of color. A palette of harmony to color his stressful egress. Roene’s face was troubled as he left the shuttle. No one else sat beside him on the trip, so he was alone with his thoughts. And it was remarkably hard to think, even in solitude, about this event. Analytically, and pragmatically, it posed no immediate threat, because he didn’t know what it was. But Miena’ma didn’t leave Cerea. That alone indicated that there was something seriously wrong. And whatever it was, was not going to go away even if Roene wanted it to. Like a slow rain, this problem would continue to fall on him, until he chose to seek shelter and find a way to deal with the problem.

Customs was a simple affair. He was given a skeptical glance when the officials eyed Nature’s Fury, but he offered a pleasant smile in return. Warmth radiated from his expression and he bowed lightly to them. “My apologies for any undo fuss. I will not cause any harm while I am here. You have my word as a Cerean, and as a Knight of the Order.” Roene said.

The official was unamused, but satisfied by his answer. There was another suspicious look at the Garral trailing behind the Cerean, but the Custom's agent let it slide. He allowed Roene to keep his lightsaber, but suggested that he find new clothing, considering the bounty on Jedi.

Roene continued looking at the official and smiled again. He sighed, politely rescinding the warning the official offered to him. “I am a Jedi. I will not hide who I am to those that need me. If you have issue, I am dreadfully sorry.” Roene said. His tone was soft. The patience of his words masked the matter-of-fact in his tone. And with another small bow, Roene silently shook his head and left the starport into Coronet proper.

Once outside, the chill of night crept to his skin. The Evening fell upon him like a wistful blanket. And despite the milieu of his situation and the activity of his involvement, his mind was weary. But instead of seeking lodging, he headed directly for the Coronet medical center where Dr. Methilue was purported to be. Roene’s priority was to assess the situation. Without a proper understanding of his query, he would have nothing to work with. It would give him something to sleep on and help him come up with a solution the next day. That was his thought anyway.

He made his way quickly through the streets, Tyue trailing carefully underfoot, taking care not to congest or bother anyone around him. Like a leaf on the wind, he darted through the milling tourists and travelers with grace. He made no contact with anyone he didn’t want to. It was not his place.

Edited by Guest
NvFYuwm.png

"Tares," Jaina admonished, leveling a measuring gaze at him as if she would be able to read his feelings through his eyes. Whatever his relationship with his brother had been before the latter's untimely disappearance, he seemed to be looking for Jaina's permission to feel indifferent. She reached out to lay a hand on his arm, a gesture she hoped brought some measure of comfort. While outwardly he expressed no great turmoil, she could sense through the Force that this was the subcutaneous irritant that had been on his mind. Perhaps he had even opted to come along to rescue Tirzah to assuage the internal conflict concerning his own brother. However, going on a wild bantha chase for a long-lost brother and being drawn to the daughter who had been orphaned as a result of her own demise were two entirely different things to Jaina's mind. In any case, she neither wanted to excuse the subject, nor incite shame at his lack of motivation.

No words came that seemed adequate, so she settled for an understanding smile. "Dinner sounds great. We can bring something back for Tirzah." Standing, she gathered her boots in one hand and stretched out the other to assist Tares. "I hope that suit isn't Kowakian spider-silk, I would hate to see it get grass stains."

As they crossed the lawn together once more, still unshod, Jaina's comm twittered, but she ignored it for the moment in the interest of preserving the momentary calm. Eventually, she broached the subject, though she stuck to the logistics only, carefully avoiding the presence or absence of incentive. "So it was just the comm array, not the whole ship? Is that any kind of a lead to go on?"

53bzzl2.png

"Oh, grass stains are far from the worst this suit has experienced," Tares replied, "It was doomed the moment we stepped into the Turbolift of Horrors."

As they moved through the grass and out onto the street, the questions Tares had asked lingered in his mind. Internally, he could only describe it as curiosity, simple indifference. For years, he had expected any shread of news to ignite the fires again. Yet, now, with some link finally present, his expectations went unmet. There was no rhyme or reason from the Force, no emotional acceptance or motivation from his mental state he could identify. There was no explanation.

"...Is that any kind of lead to go on?" Tares caught Jaina asking. He avoided trying to make any interpretations from how she was responding. In her shoes, Tares wouldn't have any idea how to respond. His younger self may have gone into some textbook Jedi philosophy, but those days had passed.

He thought for a moment and then replied, "It really depends on any number of factors. We have databases that we can try to track how and when the part changed hands, assuming it was all legal. The best case scenario, it would lead me to when the part was first taken from Drake's ship. Maybe even a crash site if the part was scavenged."

Listening to himself speak, the sense of improbability in his words struck him. So many factors would have to line up to even lead him to that best case scenario, He had no idea how long the chain of evidence might lead, and one break in that chain would most likely lead to a dead end.

"It would be a long shot." He admitted aloud.

His senses caught the sights and sounds of the street around them. Speeders where whipping past them, head home or out for a night on the town. "I at least have other business matters to attend to before I could even big to check things out. This potential business with the Empire being one of them. What do you think of the Head of State's ultimatum?"

tares.jpg

At his return comment, Jaina laughed, a musical utterance that dispersed the majority of the tension she had carried with her since their journey to Raxus Prime. It felt a little ill-mannered to laugh at the grisly scene of the Temple turbolift, but it slipped out nonetheless, and she felt all the better for it. When they finally reached the pavement, Jaina took the moment to slip her boots back on before following Tares on a meandering trek into the heart of Coronet City.

"What do you think of the Head of State's ultimatum?" he asked, in a sudden shift away from the topic, but Jaina chose not to press the issue. If there came an opportunity to pursue the lead on his brother, however slim, it would be a time to reopen the conversation.

"Aira trusts Zinthos, and Xae trusts Aira, and I trust Xae," she answered in a roundabout fashion. "I think that the Head of State is sincere in her desire for stability, and she believes that going after the Sith Empire and Black Sun is the best way to do that. I'm just not so sure that it's the right course. The threat of militarization against the Sith is a good way to drive them farther underground, not closer to the light. 'An eye for an eye makes the whole galaxy blind', or something like that."

The evening grew darker around them as they walked, and eventually the first pinpoints of starlight were visible through the hazy streetlamps. "I also have more friends among the Sith than most, and while I think they're misguided, they're still friends. I would stand between them and anyone who hunts them without a moment's hesitation," she admitted, Emily's features in her mind's eye. "I just hope it won't come to that.

"Solaris probably has a vested interest in the conflict, though, doesn't it?" A note of sadness entered her tone as she glanced at him. The more thought she gave to it, the more the transition from Jedi Master to arms dealer seemed an unlikely one. If he was willing to sell weapons to the highest bidder, rather than standing as a bastion of peace and preservation of life, there had to be some emotional component she had missed. His unwillingness to preach philosophies he found hypocritical was admirable, but the choice to take over his brother's company was beginning to carry the color of guilt. Jaina, more than most, could empathize with the desire to carve out a niche of belonging in the galaxy. If Tares had found his at the head of Solaris Industries, perhaps the idea of handing the keys to the company back to his brother was what gave him pause in his search for Drake.

"Tares, do you feel responsible for your brother's disappearance? Is that why you took over his company?" The return to the sensitive topic surprised even her, but the mental leap seemed warranted.

53bzzl2.png

“Conflict of interest?” Tares questioned, “Oh, no. Solaris has no contracts with the government. We do business with local planetary governments, but nothing at that sort of scale.”

He wondered about the source of Jaina’s question. Perhaps it seemed hypocritical to be possibly working with a group that once had been the enemy? Had he changed so much from the Jedi he used to be?

“Even though it's a technology company, Solaris has always built ships, including most of the weapons put on them. The work I want to do with the Empire is testing of a new point defense system against heavy ordnance projectiles and snub fighters. It seems kind of silly that many ships are still relying on slow turbolasers to protect them.” He said.

Unsure of whether the answer was satisfactory or not, Tares let the line of questioning end into silence.

“Tares, do you feel responsible for your brother's disappearance? Is that why you took over his company?" Jaina asked.

Tares looked over Jaina for a moment before answering. Even in the dim street light, he could see a hint of surprise painted across her face. It wasn't the kind of question one usually brought up on the way to grabbing burgers. Despite that, Tares merely smiled at Jaina’s willingness to forego the guarding of sensitivity.

“I've felt many things, more than the Code probably allows, over the years that I haven't even tried to label. Guilt, thought, that hasn't been one of them.” He replied.

An unspoken call to explain seemed to hang in the air.

“Growing up, it was just Drake and I. He had the street smarts. I was the idealist. You can see how we ended up on our initial paths into adulthood.” Tares remarked, “Drake was never someone I worried about. He often took care of me more than anything. After he disappeared and my initial search was fruitless, the only thing that made sense was keeping what he had started going. Call it a sense of duty or responsibility, but it didn't seem right to leave his company alone.”

He could see the signage of the burger shop on the horizon of the street ahead. “Do you suspect Tirzah has felt guilt for her circumstances?”

tares.jpg

Tares' smile assuaged the worry in Jaina's mind. Though her curiosity was genuine, she wanted to avoid pushing him too far in her curious inquisition. As they walked in the front door of the restaurant and found a table, their senses assailed by a variety of tantalizing smells, Jaina pondered his question with a puzzling frown. "I don't think she feels responsible for the complexion of her childhood, if that's what you're asking," she responded. "Frankly, I'm surprised she doesn't blame me for the rough go she's had of it, blind and as good as orphaned in a system where physical perfection and friends in high places are everything."

After the serving droid came by to take their order, Jaina folded her arms atop the table. "Andon and I wanted her to be able to come to the Jedi on her own time, in her own way. We would have given her as much instruction as she wanted, but I would have only sent her to the Temple if that's what she had chosen herself. In one sense, I suppose I should be grateful she ended up in the company of the Jedi. But I wanted her to care about the galaxy's problems for herself before being told that they were her responsibility. That's a lot of pressure for a twelve-year-old."

Her face grew hot, and Jaina quickly looked out the window, blinking slowly to dispel the tears that formed. With a nearly automatic impulse, she reached into the Force for Tirzah, as though taking the girl by the hand from afar. Reassured by the peaceful aura she felt emanating from her daughter's signature, Jaina let the space of several breaths pass before daring to bring her gaze back to Tares.

"I've barely been enough of a Jedi to remember what the Code says I should or shouldn't feel. And, truly, in my experience it's possible to justify anything within the strictures of the Jedi. Atrocities, charities--the line between good and evil is not as sharp as anyone wants it to be."

Jaina heaved a sigh. "But I'm waxing philosophical. And we're talking about you, not me," she smiled coyly. "You say you were the idealist. Has that changed?"

53bzzl2.png

Tares listened while Jaina began to explain her feelings on Tirzah's experiences. He blindly found his fork with one hand and began to shift the metal under the power of his fingers. It was a small attempt to keep his extremities occupied, almost like a meditative practice.

Listening, Tares remained quiet at first. Jaina's description of what she expected Tirzah thought, along with her admitted surprise of her daughter's lack of blaming, made sense to him. Family had a way of forgiving, especially when circumstances and details are unknown. He caught a glimpse of a couple tears as Jaina turned away. After a few moments of breath, she returned her attention back to him and continued. In the Force, he could feel her reaching out towards the Ferro, to her daughter.

Tares could only imagine what the recent past had been like for Jaina. The roller coaster ride of events happening in rapid succession: coming back from the dead; searching for her daughter; having her daughter find her; having her daughter taken, and then found again. It made sense for any parent to be extra protective of their child after an experience like that. Despite all the security features on the Ferro, nothing would be enough except for a mother's own attention.

"...And we're talking about you, not me." Jaina said with a smile, "You say you were the idealist. Has that changed?"

Tares returned the smile, "Ah, I didn't realize I was losing the battle to keep the attention off of me." He said with a light tone.

The serving droid came back with trays of food in hand. The interruption was welcomes since her question prompted him to think for a moment. Had he changed? He had joined the Jedi out of idealism, even found like minded individuals there. His time with Solaris had been different since most people weren't idealistic in the business world. Especially the accountants. He milled to himself in a pause of side tracked thought.

"I don't know." He finally admitted, setting the fork down and centering the tray before him, "What child doesn't change as the years go on? I had to grow up quickly once I joined the Jedi, but even then I had the Jedi ideals to cling to. After that, you could argue that I had the ideals of this company in mind, or maybe more specifically, my brother's ideals for this company. I guess the ideals have changed, but old habits die hard."

"Haven't you changed from when you were Tirzah's age, minus the whole 'dying and coming back to life' thing?" He asked....

tares.jpg

Though she knew the question was not intended ironically, Jaina laughed between bites of her burger. "Oh, I've changed more than I care to admit," she chuckled. "For starters, I spent years trying to decide which side of the line to fall on. I've had many teachers of the Force, and none of them have ever given me an explanation of their dogma that makes enough sense to me. I have an unfortunately strong moral compass."

Sobering slightly, she ran a finger idly around the rim of her glass. "I guess in that sense I haven't changed. I learned a long time ago to be a chameleon in order to survive. It wasn't until what happened on Mimban all those years ago that I realized I was on the wrong side, and hated myself for it. I've done what I could since then to make amends, but for a long time, those who spoke for the Order didn't seem willing to forgive me."

Jaina tilted her head slightly, smiling up at him disarmingly. "Though after all that, I'm still an idealist at heart, and I think you are too, whether or not you're willing to admit it. Or maybe it just needs to be dug out from underneath quarterly reports and invoices and dusted off a bit."

Momentarily looking down to her plate, she continued. "By the way, I appreciate how sensitive you've been to Tirzah. I think she already trusts you, whether or not she knows why."

53bzzl2.png

Tares finally had the occasion to take a bit of the giant burger that had been waiting in front of him. The establishment was one of his local favorites, an early find during his phase of exploring food beyond the Jedi cafeteria. Even though we wasn't exactly sure what kind of meat the burger was made from, since it was an "old family secret" according to the owner, he had always welcomed the flavors after a long trip.

He consumed a good portion of his meal while Jaina described her own changes. While they both had similar views on the Force and its fluidity concerning light and dark, only Jaina had the true experience of learning different philosophies and experiencing events from different perspectives. It was a hard thing for true followers of the Jedi path to understand. For better or worse, dogma had kept the Order on its own path for generations.

"I'm not sure about the quarterly reports." He replied, "In my experience, those are a bottomless pit. If we could fuel our ships off of those blasted things, we'd have the best renewable fuel source around."

Tares nodded at Jaina's appreciation regarding Tirzah. The truth was, he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. "She and I had similar upbringings, minus a few key differences of course. But, it's a little easier to understand where she might be coming from."

"If only it was that way with all women." He teased....

tares.jpg

"And here I thought that understanding women would come easily to a former Jedi Master," she ribbed in return. "Not losing your edge, are you, Vortex?"

Jaina hid her coalescing grin behind her burger and let her taunt hang in the air. Tares' honesty and witty banter was utterly refreshing, not least because it was uncomplicated. When so much of her life seemed wrapped in layers of pain, deception, regret, and betrayal, the simplicity of their friendly conversation felt like a gentle warmth to her soul. The murky purgatory of Hapes felt like a lifetime ago, and her life before the long darkness was nearly an eternity away.

Finishing off the last of her food, she brushed off her fingers and leaned back in her seat. There was something about this moment that felt familiar, a creeping sense of déjà vu, that Jaina couldn't quite place. With her eyes, she traced the line of Tares' jaw, which showed the shadow of growth that had been unchecked since their departure to Raxus, querying the Force for a divination of the reason for the vague sense that pinged in the back of her mind.

Then, rolling back the years, it hit her. The witticisms, the laid-back manner, the steady understanding gaze, the unassuming listening ear: they all bespoke Andon in whispers of loss. While Tares' manner was still more formal--and much more dignified--than Andon's had been, there was a quiet flash in those bright blue eyes that recalled the fire of her late husband. Jaina swallowed and stared down at her fingers, willing the crescendo of dull ache to dissipate. While the intensity with which she had mourned him on Raxus Prime had passed, she was not prepared for the wistful sadness that gushed from the wound in her soul at his absence.

Swallowing suddenly, she tamped down on the emotions, seeking to return to the light-hearted aura of the moment before, but even as she caught a glimpse of Tares' concerned eyes, she knew it was lost. He was as perceptive as she gave him credit for, and she spoke quickly, not wanting him to take personally the sudden shift in her demeanor.

"I'm sorry. All this talk of family and philosophy--" she pressed the fingers of one hand to her forehead. "In every iteration of the future, I always assumed Andon would be..." Her voice faltered, and Jaina trailed off. Halfway she hoped Tares would prompt the opportunity to process her feelings in the wake of her discovery on Raxus, and alternatively, she was desperate to avoid the topic given the current setting. Her eyes darted back to the window, studying the sparkling fluorescence of Coronet City's nightlife. Reaching out in the Force to the millions of souls in the city, she attempted to ground herself in the connection that wound her existence with theirs, the exquisite and multifaceted web that teemed with activity.

53bzzl2.png

Tares was about to continue the thread of light hearted banter when he noticed Jaina's demeanor shift. She broke her gaze once again and refocused on the window beside them. In the Force, he could feel an unstable vibration growing within her. It was subtle, but felt as if it wanted to bubble outward. He could tell she was fighting something back.

The feeling was all to familiar to Tares. When Drake disappeared, he had gone through something similar, but not at first. The transition from a Jedi to former Jedi had occurred a year or so after his brother's disappearance. His habits of emotional control had put up a resistance toward the natural reactions his body had screamed to carry out. Once he had left, the world of change had been enough to break down the guards.

Tares studied Jaina's body language for a moment. The tension and conflict were present, even by just a bit.

"In every iteration of the future, I always assumed Andon would be..." She trailed off.

He debated whether to continue the line of discussion. There was a sensitivity that went beyond the rawness of the emotion, yet also a need to work through the feelings.

He decided to press, "I think what you are going through is only natural. To you, I'd imagine it still feels like yesterday when all of this happened. It took me a long time to process what a life without my brother would be like. Even now, longer still, I can have my moments when reality takes a break, and I feel like he is back. A future without a loved one can seem hopeless."

"If it helps, learning to see the upside of that future helped me cope. Was there ever an iteration of that future where you thought your daughter would know who you are, much less be sleeping in your bunk?" He asked....

tares.jpg

It was yesterday that Andon had died, for her: and the corresponding pain was appropriately raw. But Jaina exhaled slowly, admonishing herself to take the time to consider Tares' question. The ghostly voice that rang out through the Hapan tomb, calling for her return, was not the same one that demanded she search for her daughter. That particular order resonated from somewhere deep within--and if she were honest with herself, it emanated from the part of her mind she knew she now shared with Raynuk. Whatever that means, she thought, somewhat disquieted by the realization.

But finding Tirzah, not even a week after her reemergence, which had required Aira's timely intercept of her distress signal, her fortuitous meeting with Xae, the sudden and unexpected appearance of the Eternal Vigilance, and Tirzah's own choice to stow away to an unknown destination... no, it was no coincidence. The Force had been leading them towards each other. Had she been expecting it, though? Counting on it? Tares' point was well-made. While she had been determined to pursue her daughter at all costs, to the end of the galaxy, she had started with little to no hope of finding her, and almost no leads to go on.

Much like his situation with his brother, come to think of it.

With a hint of a thoughtful smile, Jaina trained her focus on him, answering his question, but with another thought brewing behind her eyes. "I know I wouldn't have rested until I found her, but it's something of a miracle that I did. There's something going on in the wider galaxy, some emphasis the Force seems to be placing on family ties. It's not just you and I, it's... it runs deeper than that."

Not feeling like going into the gory details of her fumbled reunion with Emily, she paused only long enough to collect the resolve to ask the question that was likely far too presumptive. "Tares, are you sure that your brother is lost to you? If the possibility exists that he is alive, however unlikely, isn't it worth pursuing? I know that if I thought for even a fragment of a second that Andon was still alive, I'd let the galaxy go nova before I stopped looking."

53bzzl2.png

Something about Jaina's presence in the Force seemed to change as she paused before answering his question. Tares could feel her in deep thought, working through something. Eventually, her posture seemed to indicate some sense of a conclusion.

Tares agreed with her assessment over the workings of the Force. He had lost some of his mystic notions about the Force over the years, but he still new it worked in unique, sometimes unexplainable ways. A mother and daughter reuniting after a series of unlikely events was either helped by the Force, or just astronomically dumb luck.

Then came Jaina's question that refocused the attention on him. More so, it refocused the issue back on his dilemma, the thing that triggered their line of conversation at the start.

It was the same question he had asked all along: if there was a chance Drake was still alive, shouldn't Tares be jumping to find him? Even if it might only bring more closure, wasn't it worth a shot? He had nothing to lose, or did he?

"I honestly don't know how to answer that question. Everything in my rationale mind says 'absolutely,' but my gut isn't weighing in. The Force isn't weighing in." Tares replied.

Jaina made a good point regarding her lack of hesitation to find Andon. However, a difference struck Tares's attention, "Let me ask you this: would you feel differently if it was ten years from now? You've remarried, maybe expanded your family, Tirzah is entering adulthood. What if you had accepted that life?"

Tares continued, "It's not that I don't want to find him, or even find out what happened to him. But it took me a long time just to find balance in my life again, to start a new chapter in my life where I was okay. What happens if I reopen that old chapter and I'm pushed off the edge this time?" He asked....

tares.jpg

Remarried. The word stung Jaina unexpectedly, and she stared at the table, her face reflecting the geyser of confusion that she suddenly felt. What she had begun to tell Tares was true: she had never once conceived of a future absent Andon's presence. Even less comfortable was the idea of leaving his memory far enough behind to move on. Raynuk's visage swam in her mind, and as her thoughts turned to him, the pain in his soul once again threatened to overwhelm her--or was that her own? The thought that Jaina might be able to, once again, experience a love which could shatter the galaxy was frightening. Didn't the Force only grant that once in each miniscule lifetime? With Raynuk's pain pulsing in the back of her mind, she pushed the idea away with even more vehemence. The fact that her thoughts had turned to him in this moment only increased her sense of disquiet. Raynuk was not the kind of man you married, planned to settle down with. He was fire and ice, a wellspring of passion, a meteor crashing to earth in a blaze of glory: magnetic, addictive, and more than a little intimidating. Her history with him had been a cautionary tale, one that she had endeavored to pass along to her niece. It certainly did not bode well for the results of his confrontation with Emily that such pain still flowed through her bond with him. Regardless, it was a life that had gone beyond the possibility of recall.

Tares' brush painted a picture of a world she hadn't even dared to hope for, and wouldn't begin to know how to build.

A fresh start seemed impossible. If the Force granted do-overs, she had already used up all of hers. Bishop had promised her a new way. Adi-Wan had promised her a clean slate. Raynuk hadn't even bothered to lobby her to his side, instead opting for a more... direct approach. Andon had gone into the darkness to pull her drowning soul above water. In every massive pendulum shift from one side of the Force to another, she had left chaos, confusion, pain, and even death in her wake.

Perhaps the state of her family in the wake of her own demise would serve as sufficient penitence.

The empathy that swelled in her heart already for Tares grew exponentially as she began to consider what going back to such a long-abandoned hope would mean. Moving on from the raw grief that refused abatement seemed impossible. Jaina could not even perceive the steps that would carry her and Tirzah forward into a balanced future. Far from a confident and responsible mother figure, she felt herself swimming in the nebulous and difficult choice of how to begin reconstructing her life. To undo the arduous work of coping with the loss of arguably the closest person in Tares' life seemed like too much for the Force to ask.

Her eyes flashed with the thought. Perhaps that was the reason the Force had refused compunction in Tares' case. Maybe it really was as simple as giving him an out, a choice, an avenue away of the pain that might follow if such old scars were clawed open.

In a slow moment of dawning clarity, Jaina's fingers turned electric as a sudden urge from the Force assailed her senses. "I'll go with you," she blurted out, with not an ounce of thought given to the repercussions of such an agreement. "To find him. I'll help you find your brother." Her heart pounded in her ears, as though utterly surprised by herself, and Jaina struggled to mute the voice of reason within that accused her of insanity. But just as she had turned to the collective consciousness of sentient life in Coronet City to ground her in the midst of the grief that threatened to overwhelm her frail emotional stability, she knew, purely instinctively, that for Tares to go on such a search, he would need a grounding presence. The Unknown Regions could not be underestimated, and would not abide the lone wanderer. Like the gaping maw of some sinister creature, such parts of the galaxy did not often regurgitate those who ventured there.

53bzzl2.png

There was a lot that went unspoken in their conversation, from Tares’s point of view. Jaina seemed to be switching from direct engagement to being enveloped in her own thoughts. He was unsure if his question has spurred something unsettling in her mind. The hypothetical he had proposed may have been a complete surprise to her.

Tares began to think of what to say next to possibly undo any unintended damage he may have caused. Eventually, before he found the words, Jaina spoke up and made her offer: she would go with him to search for signs of his lost brother.

The proposal came as a surprise to Tares. He, himself, wasn't sure of whether such a search would be the right move or not. So many things had to fall into place, so many pieces had to be there to be found, for such a trip to even be worth the potential dangers of traveling into the Unknown Region. If he was struggling to commit to the idea, how could anyone else be so committed?

Tares hesitated with an answer. At first, it seemed as if this may be his only opportunity to proceed down this path. Having someone along would be useful, even on just a logistical level. More importantly, he wasn't sure what to expect internally. He had worked so hard to find that mental stability for so many years, he wasn't sure what he would be risking.

But, what would she be risking? Jaina had just found a massive part of her family. She had just become a knight in an order that had long since resisted the notion of her redemption. What might she give up in order to help someone else?

Was it Jedi=like to accept or deny the request? Was it right or wrong, regardless of the philosophy?

Words failed to come to him in response. Instead, he merrily, slowly nodded as he thought of a proper reply. He wasn't sure if he was nodding in agreement to her proposal or simply as confirmation that he understood what she was offering.

"That's a lot to ask of you." He finally replied, "Aren't you wanting to get back to a life that resembles normalcy for you and your daughter? I can't say if this trip would even provide any concrete answers, much less guarantee our safety." He finished….

tares.jpg

Jaina smiled, but there was no mirth in her eyes. "I'm a Jedi, Tares. Normalcy, safety... they've never really been a part of the equation. Though the standard-issue compression socks are better quality than most."

She sighed before expounding on her offer. "Truthfully, I don't know where to go from here, whether back to the Order or on to some fashion of civilian life. Neither Tirzah nor I have any experience with what normal families are supposed to do, and coming with you might buy me some time to figure that out."

He was probably right in suggesting that she take Tirzah to safer waters, to some place where they could gain stability. But it didn't feel like the right thing to do. Or the Jedi thing to do. Not only that, but she was already expecting an expedition to the Unknown Regions to look for her father... Breaking the news about Andon to Tirzah was not a conversation she was looking forward to.

Her expression softened. "I envy you for having carved out your place after a loss like that. I think if I were in your shoes, I might opt to let life continue on uninterrupted unless something was dropped in my lap. But then, I guess having a communications array from a disappeared ship show up after years and years might count as 'something'."

Tares had paused, as though weighing carefully the options before him, and Jaina found herself wishing she could see into his thoughts, but patently resisted the urge to intrude. Through the Force, he emanated uncertainty and a measure of ambivalence: both the strong desire for closure as well as bracing in avoidance against the pain that might come if such an endeavor ended fruitlessly. For a moment, she thought about retracting her offer to spare him any pressure he might feel to choose his next path quickly. But if, as he said, such a trip would be fraught with danger, that gave her all the more reason to ensure he did not make the journey alone.

"Whatever you decide," she began, but left it there. Her presence reached out to his, subtle but radiant, to communicate a clear intent: I'm here.

53bzzl2.png

"Ok." Tares found himself saying almost automatically.

Jaina had a way of painting the potential of the situation in a positive light. The possibilities no longer seemed far-fetched or as dangerous as before. Not to say that the dangers wouldn't be there, but the weight of the risks seemed more acceptable given the potential benefits.

It was an extremely analytical way of looking at things. To Tares, there was almost a cost/benefit sense to it all that seemed to remove the fact that they were talking about his brother's disappearance from the equation.

Still, there was that bit of lingering uncertainty that continued to seed itself in the back of Tares's mind. The truth was he had no idea what to expect, and regardless of his internal feelings, or lack of, about the possibility of finding his brother, the uncertainty of it all wasn't something to ignore.

"I would appreciate the help and company on the search." Tares said. "Even if it turns out to be nothing but a wild goose chase, the company and support will be welcomed."

The list of things to do immediately began to flow through Tares's mind. Having just gotten back from the last trip, he had been putting off several matters that needed to be attended to. Immediately going on another adventure was going to drastically increase his to do list, especially in the short amount of time he had.

"I still have a few things to get done before I can even entertain the notion of going. Least of all, I'm not even sure where to begin. The part number traces back to a station on the edge of the Unknown Region, but it's possible that this part has changed hands many times since leaving my brother's ship. Also, would you like to get your ship salvaged and repaired before we head out?" He asked....

tares.jpg

"If it can be retrieved, that would be nice, though I don't see the need to take two ships into the unknown," she acknowledged. "Even if it is quite a bit out of date, I guess so am I."

For some reason, at his expressed acceptance of her offer, Jaina felt a sense of triumph singing through the Force. Though Tares still oozed uncertainty, she was growing more convinced that this was one reason they had crossed each other's paths. Apparently, the Force thought they both could use a friend.

The table before them had long been cleared, and they were quickly becoming a serving droid's worst nightmare, taking up space in the restaurant without additional purchase, excepting the box containing the meal she planned to bring back to Tirzah on the Ferro. The observation quickly sent her to a somewhat sheepish realization.

"We should get going, then," she began, with a cheeky grin across at her companion. "I'm afraid you might have to pick up my tab, Vortex. Unless burger places have started accepting Corusca gems as currency since the last time I was around..."

53bzzl2.png

The dark velvet of night washed over the city streets. It was a soft transition, but the absence of light tugged playfully at his eyelids. His heartbeat was steady, but his mind drifted. Roene felt his feet getting heavier with each passing moment. Pain tickled his legs, threatening to collapse his gait. And stress consumed his mind, pushing his thoughts toward a more frantic end. The feelings mingled together in a song of fatigue that Roene couldn’t ignore any longer and although fervent in his pursuit, the Cerean felt resigned to the relentless cry of his body’s continued momentum. He would have to find a place to sleep for the night or he would fall asleep walking, and that was a dangerous notion. Sweat stood cold against his head, and his robes were pulling at him in the low breeze.

He stopped at a street corner to catch his breath for a moment. He stood at his full height and scanned the horizon to regain his bearing. All the while, trying to keep his thoughts from growing into terrible facsimiles. He traveled persistently since the starport entrance and after a while realized that he might have been lost. Tyue was at his heels trying to catch up, but it was clear that Tyue was a little winded too. He squat down a little, denying the pain in his knees, and pet the Garral with the index and middle finger of his right hand.

Good boy.

He smiled. But the relevant chore of his situation regained clarity when Roene realized he had no idea where to look. He wasn’t skilled at finding a hotel, but he needed to find something. It wouldn’t do to continue walking throughout the night. Even if the situation was dire, he doubted that Methilue would like to see him sleep deprived and exhausted. Miena’ma would scold him.

The street was open. It was beautiful and grand, even in the low light. There were a few drunks out late, celebrating something ambiguous. There were a few shops around and a small crowd of people that were milling toward a large restaurant. But nothing seemed to jump out at him. It all seemed inaccessible.

Feeling slightly inadequate given the circumstances, Roene knelt on the ground and centered himself. He kept his breathing measured and kept his mind open to the force. He dipped his thoughts into the cool water of power that surrounded him and let himself drift. He felt the heart of the planet like the breath beating on his hands. His eyes looked out to the horizon without obstacle. The skyscrapers were illusory here, and each of them were filled with little lights; thousands of lights that shone like starlight. He watched as the little lights flickered and dimmed -- lives that enjoyed relative peace with their loved ones before they decided to rest for the night. He even noticed a few points of energy that were dark and tumultuous. But two powerful energies stood out to him. They were far away, but were significant enough to draw his attention. There was pain there. There was pain, and regret. Roene saw those feelings as an amber tear over the azure serene that lay before him. And it pointed at his head with a soft pressure, just above his temples.

He felt like calling out to them, like lending a word or running to their aid. But that was not his purpose here. He needed to find residence and needed to find why he was summoned. So, instead of flying to their rescue, Roene released feelings of peace and pleasance into the current of the force and let it sail toward them. Like prayers given to those that lost someone significant in their life, Roene offered his own peace to their troubled hearts. It was the least he could do, especially when his own heart had its own troubles.

He sighed deeply, and nodded when he found a suitable place to rest for the night.

“Come come Tyue. We need to keep going a little longer.” Roene said, prompting the pup at his side to move, and trying to convince his muscles of the same.

NvFYuwm.png

"That sounds like a fair trade." Tares observed, "I'll buy the burgers. You find my long lost brother."

The check quickly came, which Tares paid immediately without needing to wait for the server droid to return with change. Their short walk back started off quietly. Tares took in the sounds of the Corellian nightlife. In some ways, Coronet City was similar to Coruscant. The streets were busy with foot and vehicular traffic. Lights flooded the sky to keep the darkness at bay. But, the scale and atmosphere differed. On Coruscant, it was easy to feel like you were suspended among the buildings. In Coronet City, the streets and walkways were largely on the surface of the planet itself. Things felt more natural and grounded.

Near the half way mark of their return trip, a question began to creep up in Tares's mind. He paused in his steps and looked over at Jaina, "Since we are going to be spending a lot of time together, and I don't want to say anything that creates any issues, I have a possibly difficult question for you. What does Tirzah actually know about Andon and his ultimate fate? Did you tell her about the recording?" He asked....

tares.jpg

A recorded holoprojector comm came in for Roene Givrah.

This is Jedi Master Kirlocca. I have to inform the order of a change that has occurred. Dahar has stepped down as Grandmaster. I want for key members of the Order to report in, only through holoprojector to make their vote on Grandmaster. From there, a Council will be formed. If you are receiving this, you are a key member. I will be moving the Order off Tython and setting up on Ossus. All Jedi can have the old Praxeum here as the main place to go for things, but please stay as active in the galaxy as you can. We need to remain Jedi. If you need me, I will be on Ossus. May the Force be with you.