Mandalore

Kakuto Ryu

ShadowFett spent an extra day or two in Keldabe just to make sure things went as planned. Having actual presence from Mand'alor seemed to help soothe some of the doubts about his leadership for those that actually cared. Very few Mando'ade actually wanted anything from their leader, but it was those who did that had caused the Kyr'tsad to stir up again. Sticking around for a few days was mostly a formality in this case to keep them placated. There was no actual leadership that was required to keep the people going, and Manda'yaim had no government; they had no need to legislation and no means of enforcing it.

Fett found himself wishing Mirdala had come with him. He had spent so long being completely autonomous that he had grown accustomed to it, but he felt like she had been transforming him in a way, and that way had improved his life. Aliit was a significant part of Mandalorian life, and he felt more in touch with his people when with her. It turned out that an ori'ramikad was more than just a verd--having something for which he could fight beyond self-improvement was significant.

Finally, though, he deemed that the situation on Manda'yaim had stablized enough through his efforts and those of the other True Mandalorians who had sided with him that he could leave. So he boarded the Justice and was soon on his way back from the armpit of the galaxy to the pristine but bland world of Coruscant.

iTJBZId.png

• 3 years later...

The Justice appeared out of hyperspace over Manda'yaim and its pilot reflected on his various visits to the Mandalorian homeworld.

He'd been raised here by the man he'd known as Kelborn but had turned out to be Judyc Viba. He looked on those times with no fondness, though he had eventually learned to find solace in the world's untamed wilderness. When he'd left, he hadn't returned for many years, staying entirely away from the Sector that had once been his home, unconnected with the clans. It hadn't been until after he'd met Mirdala and become Mand'alor that he'd come back, and only then to receive the ship he still piloted now.

The next time he'd come had been to kick Augustus and his Kyr'tsad instigators off the world. He'd stayed exactly as long as he'd needed to in order to make sure the job was done. He'd taken no pleasure in the grisly task he'd accomplished that day, but it gave him credibility he would need for this visit. The Death Watch threat had been immediate, something the Mando'ade could see. This time, Fett would be asking them to rally against a yet-invisible foe. He would need them to accept the data he carried as well as his judgment.

The Justice set down and Kandor Fett disembarked in his customary black beskar'gam, his riduur with him. He headed straight for the Oyu'baat, an ancient cantina and the closest thing the Mando'ade had to a center of government. Within those walls sat the most informed and politics-savvy Mandalorians (something of a rare breed) among those that were just there for a buy'ce gal. These were the decision-makers, the individuals who would help him set into motion the course of action that the situation warranted.

As he entered, one such person noticed. He was a tall man in a dull gray beskar'gam and no buy'ce lounging around at a nearby table. "Mand'alor," he said. "More bad news?"

Fett regarded him for a moment, and the Oyu'baat quieted a bit. Some previous Mand'alore had perhaps come here to socialize. But ShadowFett was not one of them, and so his appearance meant something important was happening. "The Sector is in danger," he said without preamble. "Summon the clan leaders. I'll present what my team has uncovered and we'll get down to business."

iTJBZId.png

It was one thing to read about Mandalore, to know, for instance, that it was the fifth planet in the system, that it had a 19 hour day and a 366 day rotational period, that it was a mixture of lush forests, dense jungle, sprawling hills and grassland, inhospitable deserts of white sand, and numerous rivers, lakes, and seas. But it was completely different to come out of hyperspace and see it sitting like a blue-green jewel in the darkness of space, and know that down there might very well lay her future.

Mellanie was gripped by the now-familiar mix of apprehension and excitement, the former more dominant over the latter until Araac's voice crackled over the comm. "Olarum, Mel'ika," he said. "Follow me down and let the nuhur commence!" She smiled at his blend of sarcasm and honesty. She knew he was a little nervous too, although he would never let on. Family was the most important thing to him, and she knew he wanted his to like her. As she and her sister brought the Crazy Mynock down, Mellanie reflected on what she knew of Araac's family. He had a father and mother, one older brother and three younger sisters, the youngest of which was still very young. They were farmers, and shared a massive plot of land with his mother's brother. His father's brother was the clan leader for Araac's family's clan--Vevut--and a metalsmith. There were always lots of kids running around from what she understood--Araac's siblings, as well as plenty of cousins. She remembered him telling her about what it was like growing up. She had always been envious of that kind of life. Her family was great, but small, and she didn't really have any extended family--at least, none that cared about her.

It wasn't long before they were landing on the outskirts of a large farm. In the dust whipped up by the repulsors, Mel saw some people exiting a squat building that seemed to be made of granite or some other type of stone, hewn in large squares and stacked together. It looked tough and no-nonsense. As the ship powered down, she smiled broadly at her sister. "Well, let's do this!"

The two girls headed down the ramp. Araac was waiting at the bottom, his helmet held loosely in his left hand. A smirk stole over his face at the sight of them, and once they caught up to him, the three turned and walked towards the building. By this point, there was a good sized group of Mandalorians gathered. All of the adults were in armor of various colors, although green and blue dominated. There was one woman in a vibrant orange shade that reminded Mellanie of a Nubian citrus fruit.

As they approached, there were several shouts of "Su cuy'gar, Ar'ika!"" Several of the Mandalorians came and gave Araac a rough hug. One hulking man in deep green armor with gold bracers tousled Araac's hair. A little girl with blonde pigtails came running up and jumped at him. He laughed and spun her around.

But the family's attention was quickly fixed to the outsiders. Araac set down his little sister, still smiling broadly, and grabbed Mellanie's hand. "Everyone, this is Mellanie Dev, and her sister Kalyani Wartide." Before coming, Mellanie and Araac had agreed to use the shortened form of Mellanie's last name. It was a precaution she had often taken, as in many places, it wasn't wise to advertise her connection with the GA Chief of State.

The Mandos looked at the girls with varying expressions, although most bordered on wary. She wasn't offended. Mandalorians were some of the least trusting people the in galaxy--until you were actually family. Then, she knew they were extremely loyal. And she was determined to quickly cross that line. "I'm glad to meet you," she replied. "You mean the galaxy to Araac."

He quickly began to introduce his family. "This is my father, Keaz," he said, pointing to the man who had tousled his hair when he had arrived. "And this is my mother, Vae." Mellanie smiled warmly at Araac's mother, a willowy woman in blue-and-orange armor with white highlights. "This is my uncle--my mother's brother--Cas, and his wife Siassi. These are their children," he pointed to two preteen boys, "Thrin and Rir. And they have a daughter Hia running around here somewhere." The young woman in the bright orange armor playfully chucked a rock at Araac's head. He ducked. "That's my sister Jaesko, and these two are Assa and Ilae." They appeared to be about 10 and 4, respectively. "And then we have my other cousins and aunt over there," Araac said, motioning to the right. "Aunt Bhesi, and her sons Gheas, Gamac, and Drinn." He glanced around and turned to his mother. "Where are Thasak and Uncle Rhar?"

"Mandalore is here," Vae replied. "Rhar went to a clan leaders gathering, and your brother went with him."

Araac seemed surprised. "Mandalore's here? What's that shabla ver'verd doing back after all this time?"

Vae shrugged. "Guess he decided to remember he's Mando'ade."

Mellanie only half listened. She knew she was going to be hopeless at remembering everybody's names, so she focused on just remembering Araac's mother's and father's names for now.

"Well, that makes for a change," Araac was saying. "So, buir, got any skraan?"

His mother grinned. "I made my special tiingilar just for the occasion."

Araac chuckled. "You know the way to this man's heart!" He grabbed Mellanie by the arm. "Just wait until you try it. My mother's cooking is the best on all of Mandalore." He steered her into the rustic stone house, and they were followed by the rest of the group.

It was a whirlwind. There were people everywhere, most of them talking completely in Mando'a. Mel had learned the basics of the language, but she was by no means fluent, and sometimes the conversation went over her head. But there was plenty of laughter and good spirits, and slowly, the family warmed up to her and Kalyani--especially as the night wore on and the adults drank more and more of the tihaar that they made themselves at the farm. For her part, Mel really enjoyed herself. Araac's family were solid, dependable types who clearly cared deeply for Araac. She had to put up with some open ribbing and blunt questions, but she simply laughed, appreciating the candor with which is family acted and spoke. It was a far cry from the civilized, sterile environment in which she had been raised--and she loved it.

She hoped Kalyani was okay. She didn't have much time to talk to her sister during the meal.

DSgZUkY.jpg

Daughter of Sabian Devanus and Zara Nargal

Mirdala had removed her helmet as the two of them had entered the dimly lit interior of the Oyu'baat. She'd never actually set foot in the establishment that was as close as her people had to any sort of government building, however unofficial it actually was. They genuinely seemed surprised to see Kandor, his infrequent visits signaling to those present that something was amiss even before Kandor had opened his mouth. She didn't need to turn to know that a few of the patrons were appraising her as well. ShadowFett was still not largely known to operate with a partner, let alone the team he'd mentioned.

Perhaps it was the seriousness of what loomed on the horizon that unsettled her stomach, but she gave no sign of it from her expression as she glanced around the room. Sure she'd been in battle before, but going to war and calling others to do the same was a totally different matter entirely and not something to be taken lightly. Especially when it was the Mandalorian people that were being called to defend against an imminent incursion into their system.

If Ab'ki doubted my survival of her trap, the nexu's escaped the trap now, she thought as her eyes roved over the current assortment of patrons. There was a slight buzzing in the back of her mind different from the empathic static her family generated, but nothing more to indicate the source.

I can't pinpoint the who, but there is someone nearby that's at least not happy with our presence. There is likely to be more once the leaders arrive, she sent silently to Kandor via their implant connection. There was no doubting that being back in the system was making her nervous, especially being around so many people she'd never encountered before. Mainly she was nervous about how close all of this would toe of fully cross the line into her individual and family secrets.

The sheer weight of the emotion took her by surprise as she sat down at one of the tables as Kandor discussed some of the preparations for a meeting of the Clans.

fMZZcER.png

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

“A Mandalorian woman's greatest talent is not her charm or beauty, but her strength of body and will.” - Mandalorian proverb

Even despite the situation, places like the Oyu'baat had a calming effect on Kandor. The establishment, like the city in which it resided, practically oozed with Mandalorian tradition and their atin'la brand of pragmatism. According to popular folklore, the Oyu'baat had kept the same pot of stew simmering for centuries, adding new meat and vegetables daily to keep the contents fresh. The stories also said that the menu had been the same since the Mandalorian Wars. The jage and dalase that inhabited it were his people, just like the Ad'Norts, and whatever differences he had with any one of them, he knew that they were as reliable and honest as they were practical.

Somehow even his upbringing and his long years away from the Sector had not divorced him from that sense of culture, and he firmly believed that it was ingrained in the hearts of all true Mando'ade.

Mirdala, however, seemed a bit more on edge, and he had to admit that her outlook was appropriate. As tempting as it was to mischaracterize Ab'ki as a di'kut, he knew that the dar'jetii was nothing if not well-informed and meticulous. If she knew anything about Mandalorian culture, she'd have agents here in the Oyu'baat, some of which would be keeping an eye out specifically for Mirdala and her riduur. She would know that the clans were going to meet and organize a defense against her, and there was a substantial risk of her people listening in on all that was said and reporting back to her. It created a certain challenge with this whole process -- any of Ab'ki's uncovered plans he shared in the open would be subject to change.

"Let's hang around for a little while while I try to look approachable for a change," he replied to her. "Let me know if your senses materialize any of these threats and we can figure out what to do about it." Which wasn't an easy prospect in itself.

As he sat down next to Mirdala, Kandor removed his buy'ce and ordered some skraan. There was no reason to hide his face here anymore, even though he had maintained his privacy the last time he'd visited.

It didn't take long for someone to pick up on it and sit down across from him. An aging, not-quite-human Mando'ad with exotic skin and heavily scarred armor. "I don't believe it," the man said gruffly in a local accent. "You're the spitting image of Jango Fett. And here I thought the name was incidental."

Kandor regarded the man carefully. He'd suspected that not everyone in these parts would have forgotten the face of one of their previous Mand'alore. "Funny thing, isn't it?" he said mirthlessly. "But blood aside, I have no connection to the Fett clan and do not represent it."

"'Lek," the man replied. "People say you're clanless. Pretty unlikely Mand'alor, if you ask me."

"I'll not deny I was an odd choice," Fett admitted. "But your information's old. Suppose I fall under Skirata now." It was the clan Mirdala's buir Jorbe and his aliit had rolled up to. He certainly identified with it more than clan Viba or Fett.

The other Mando'ad glanced at Mirdala then back at Fett. "Doesn't matter much to me either way. When you kicked the Kyr'tsad off planet you silenced a lot of the doubters," he said before standing up again. "I look forward to hearing your report, Mand'alor."

iTJBZId.png

• Duty and Honor

• Blood and Sweat

The beskar felt heavy on his frame. The color was a conscious choice that he made as he forged the set on Ordo with his people. But the color came to haunt him – Duty, heh. That’s a laugh.

Duty had always been a mercurial thing for Vihk. He didn’t quite know where he stood there. His family was on the smaller side and didn’t require anything of him. He used to be so far removed from Mandalorian culture that he hadn’t identified as one for years. Until he was summoned by Joreel and given the single most terrifying responsibility of his entire life: leading a nation. Some consider it a boon, to be given so much power, but Vihk was confused, dumbstruck and baffled by the lack of confidence he felt in his mind. He didn’t know where he was going as a person, let alone where he would go as the leader of an entire people. It was, at the time, enough to make him want to quit the game altogether. But, that is the coward’s way out. And Vihk wasn’t a coward.

Now, years later, Vihk had come to appreciate the simplicities of life again. He had a forge and was working to provide for his people. But, now he was off again. Another Mandalore. Another call to action. Was this going to be the pattern of his life? Or would he eventually learn to accept both sides and move on, like he’d been trying to do for a very long time? Who knows.

Just before Jaraht’s ship made a landing on the outskirts of Keldabe, Vihk’s introspection was cut short by a loud noise. Fartled, it took him a moment to realize what the sound was. And the smell that followed, ambushed his nostrils. Apparently, a diet of mainly protein supplements and survival snacks could cause quite an acrid stench.

“Jaraht, please… Try to eat more vegetables. Woof.” Vihk said, fanning his hand in front of his buy’ce as if to suggest that he could wipe the stench away.

Jaraht looked at him, eyebrow raised, before he placed his own buy’ce on his head. “We both know that was you Vihk.”

The Old Mandalorian smirked and shook his head. “Ya caught me. You bring A’den with us?”

Jaraht pat a large lump sitting beside him.

“Good, I have a feeling, this will require firepower,” Vihk said, impulsively tightening the vambraces of his armor and securing the fit. The studded gauntlets glowed in the low light of Jaraht’s shuttle, and Vihk smiled. I finally get to try this out.

Clouds began to swirl overhead, slightly covering what had been a peaceful afternoon sky. White clouds turned to gray. And the sound of thunderclaps echoed from far off into the mass of jungle. The storm was well on its way. Vihk could hear the clouds moving. It was only a matter of time. Jaraht’s simple shuttlecraft was hailed and granted permission to land near a few others, and once the landing procedures were taken care of, Vihk and his men assembled on the tarmac.

The others went first. Varying generations of armor and colors showed within their ranks. They stood around thirty strong. A remnant of the force that Vihk garrisoned in his forge, at one time. He brought them back to answer the call. In fact, it was important that all Mandalorians return, even if the call was for a clan leader meeting. It was part of the tenets of the resol’nare. And all people that had the gall to call themselves Mandalorian, respected those tenets.

Vihk was the last one to leave the shuttlecraft. His brand-new forest green Beskar’gam lit with the dying light of the afternoon sun. He gripped a huge weapon in his hands and had two large ammo packs latched to small hooks that were rigged on his back. A’den, as Vihk called her, was a big weapon. It required strength to wield, and even then, it could topple a full grown human if they weren’t trained to use it. Vihk held the grips, his gauntleted fists tightening until his knuckles underneath were white.

When he could feel the Manda’yaim air blowing across the armorweave beneath his armor plates, he looked to his men. Vihk’s voice took on a gruffer, more serious air. He started to speak in strictly Mando’a.

“It’s time. I am honored by your devotion and service. But this is a kind of crossroads. If you wish, you do not have to come back with me when I return to NarShadaa. This is the land of our people. Do as you must. But, don’t follow me into the Oyu'baat. This, I do alone.” Vihk said. He looked out to all of them and nodded with silent respect. They all nodded back and then went about their own business in town. Some even sprinted away to houses at the edge of town.

Well… Vihk mused. Here goes nothing.

The old Mandalorian waddled into the Oyu’baat, carefully letting himself in and resting his heavy repeater by the door. He made pains not to point it at anyone and tried to make sure they knew he had it around in case of emergency. It wasn’t a fast weapon, so rushing back to the shuttle to get it seemed impractical. He only hoped people wouldn’t see it as a threat.

“Su cuy’gar anade. Vihk Ahzinger, leader of Clan Ordo, reporting.”

Then he turned to Fett and put his gauntleted hand over his heart. “Su cuy’gar Mand’alor.”

b9bOzf7.png

<< Look at the bottom of the Character Sheet >>

Kalyani had looked up information on the planet Mandalore when Mellanie had first told her about going to see Araac’s family there, wanting to know more about where Mel may end up living. While Kaly was very happy for her younger sibling, she dreaded the day when she’d have to say goodbye to her, even though they’d always be just a holo away. That was part of why she had come with her, apart from supporting Mellanie as she met his family. The young woman wanted to know that her sister would be safe, that when they found out who Mel’s father was, that she would be alright. It didn’t matter how people reacted to knowing who Kaly’s deadbeat Dad was, she honestly didn’t care about that, but her sister needed to be protected. That was how Mel and Araac had met, when he was hired to protect her. That it had led to them falling in love was romantic. One day Kaly hoped to find someone too though she wouldn’t admit that to anyone… the young woman liked to give off a vibe of being independent and capable of looking after herself.

One thing she hadn’t let on to her sister was how nervous she was, Mel was nervous enough without knowing how she was feeling too. So once they left the ship, Kaly kept a smile on her face if only to give off a positive outwards appearance, like she’d seen their mother and Aunt Brina do. Araac was waiting for them at the bottom of the ramp when they disembarked, a smile on his face as his eyes fell on Mellanie. He spared a brief grin towards Kaly as the three of them headed towards the crowd of Mandalorian’s waiting for them. It was easy to see how Araac’s family felt about him, and how suspicious they were of the two girls. She wondered how long it would take them to see how lovable and loyal Mel was. Her sister was head over heels in love with Araac and it wouldn’t take long for his family to see that too.

"Everyone, this is Mellanie Dev, and her sister Kalyani Wartide." Araac introduced them. "I'm glad to meet you," Mellanie replied. "You mean the galaxy to Araac." Kaly inclined her head as Araac said her name saying, “I’m pleased to meet you.” Then he started to introduce his family. Kaly focused on putting names to faces though knew it would take a while to remember who was who.

"This is my father, Keaz," he began. "And this is my mother, Vae." "This is my uncle--my mother's brother--Cas, and his wife Siassi. These are their children," he pointed to two preteen boys, "Thrin and Rir. And they have a daughter Hia running around here somewhere." The young woman in the bright orange armor playfully chucked a rock at Araac's head. He ducked. "That's my sister Jaesko, and these two are Assa and Ilae." They appeared to be about 10 and 4, respectively. "And then we have my other cousins and aunt over there," Araac said, motioning to the right. "Aunt Bhesi, and her sons Gheas, Gamac, and Drinn." He glanced around and turned to his mother. "Where are Thasak and Uncle Rhar?"

"Mandalore is here," Vae replied. "Rhar went to a clan leaders gathering, and your brother went with him." Araac seemed surprised. "Mandalore's here? What's that shabla ver'verd doing back after all this time?" Vae shrugged. "Guess he decided to remember he's Mando'ade."

Kalyani was trying to keep up with what was being said though she didn’t know much of their language yet. She had started to learn Mando’a but only enough to know the odd word and not as much as Mel knew. For the most part she felt like she was in the dark. As the conversation turned to food, everyone started moving inside. She was separated from her sister and found herself seated next to one of the preteen boys. “Are you related to Ronin Wartide?” The question was expected and she was resigned to that fact and prepared. Her father’s name was well known, even though he hadn’t been heard from for a number of years. He was considered a legend. This was partly why she was learning how to fight. She hadn’t been in a ‘real’ fight, only simulations but knew that she would end up having to ‘live up’ to his reputation and be able to handle herself in a fight. “Yes, he’s my father.” She didn’t know how they would respond to that but she believed honesty was the best policy even when it could backfire.

1cQgV4y.jpg

"Truth be told, though, you are Tandra Qwinn's daughter, heiress to the Qwinn house. There is no mistaking it." Deborma

It surprised Mirdala when Kandor removed his own helmet, but there was something reassuring about the action and about his trust level and it helped to calm her nerves somewhat. Silently she watched the exchange between the two men, smiling slightly to herself when Kandor identified himself as a member of Skirata.

Once they'd eaten, she went to speak to the proprietor about getting a room, the two of them having decided it would be more prudent to remain in the Oyu'baat rather than continue to travel back and forth between the meeting area and the Justice. They were here on official business after all.

By late afternoon a few of the clan leaders had already arrived and were catching up with the others as word came from several of the others as to when they or their representatives could be expected.

Mirdala, for her part, watched them all carefully not saying much at all as Kandor greeted each in turn. When there was a slight break, she rose, placing her hand on his shoulder and let him know she was going to go make a call from their rooms to ensure that the rest of her family had also gotten the summons in a timely manner, leaving him alone as a man entered bearing some rather heavy machinery. She tensed for a second until the man left it by the entrance, then continued towards the back of the building toward the stairs that led to the upper rooms. Vi'ika, Mirdala's empathically bonded massive sandhound remained settled at Kandor's feet, though she did set up to greet the newcomer as he approached.

fMZZcER.png

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

“A Mandalorian woman's greatest talent is not her charm or beauty, but her strength of body and will.” - Mandalorian proverb

Fett watched his riduur head up to their room, then looked down at Vi'ika and scratched her behind the ears with one of his gloved hands as if to indicate his appreciation for her sticking close. Even among his own people he didn't like playing meet and greet. Overall he wasn't worried about someone getting a crazy idea and carrying out an attack on Mirdala or himself here in the Oyu'baat -- it would be a suicide mission with the sheer number of weapons and verde at hand. But in many ways he would prefer a direct threat to the informants he suspected were lurking around, looking for the way to betray their people that would earn them the biggest sum of Ab'ki's credits. Shab, he'd take the direct threat to playing politics, however tame that was among Mando'ade.

When Vihk Ahzinger showed up, he was mildly surprised to see that the man was still alive. Although he thought the towering human had done very poorly as his predecessor as Mand'alor, his actions causing significant damage to the clans, Vihk had expressed his contrition to Fett the last time they had met here in Keldabe. Whether or not Fett was convinced, Clan Ordo clearly still backed him, and that would be good enough. There was almost no chance Vihk was connected to Ab'ki, and Vi'ika didn't signal otherwise.

"Ahzinger," Fett said when the big man greeted him. Even with his buy'ce on the table in front of him his face was unreadable. "You made good time. Were you in the Sector?"

A basic attempt at small talk, as he had been doing for a few hours now. Fett was keeping the details of why he'd called for the clansmeet under wraps until enough clan leaders had arrived to present everything at once. He'd likely give it until early afternoon the next day, for those who had some travel to do or couldn't drop whatever they were doing at Mand'alor's whim.

iTJBZId.png

Rain started to fall. The sound of water was calming.

But it wasn’t enough to defuse the tension that built in Vihk’s muscles.

The old Mandalorian removed his buy’ce, revealing a deceptively young face. Short cropped brown hair with hints of muted color shone in the low light of the Oyu’baat. He turned slowly to look at Mand’alor and the faint reflex of a smile lit his face. His green eyes found Kandor’s and realized that, underneath that helmet, he was a relic too; figuratively speaking.

“Heh. Funny story,” Vihk chuckled. “Jaraht thought he could get an extra jump out of his hyper-drive. He switched a few settings up to above the normal limits. One of them was even pushed to eleven; whatever that means. Needless to say, we were lucky to land as safely as we did. Jaraht’s ship will need repair before we take off, but we’re all in one piece. Considering the urgency of the call though, we did what we could to come as soon as possible. It’s not every day you get a call to come back home.”

Vihk’s face was weary. The creases in his eyes illuminated the feelings stirring in his heart. He couldn’t hold all the emotional cues from his expression. But he was determined to show something else. It wouldn’t seem right to greet Mand’alor as a weepy man. But his mother’s death still hung over his head. Even if her soul was part of the manda by now, and her body was left a husk, the feelings of attachment still lingered.

“Nah. I was working at my armory on NarShadaa. The others were tagging along with me.” Vihk said. He sighed, stroked at his chin and took an idle gaze to his repeater at the door – just to make sure it was still there. “I got word from Ordo that the clan leaders were meeting. So I dropped what I was doing, packed a blacksmith apron, hammer, and good ‘ol A’den there, by the door.”

b9bOzf7.png

"Respectable work," Fett said levelly. As someone who had great respect for well-made gear and stacked his life upon it regularly, he thought that there were few professions among Mando'ade more critical to the race's tradition and ethos. The fact that Vihk had settled outside the Sector to do that work seemed like a natural consequence of how everything had transpired, and Fett didn't hold it against him. He had, after all, answered the call.

He took a sip of the spiced caf he'd ordered. He wasn't a heavy caf drinker, but this particular blend was renowned even among aruetiise who were in the know. Fett was unusual among his culture in that he abstained from alcohol, including the local favorite, ne'tra gal. "Glad you were able to make it, Vihk. Full briefing will be tomorrow," he said.

iTJBZId.png

Once more, Mirdala descended the stairs from the second level of the Oyu'baat and navigated the growing number of Mandalorian's that had decided to poke their curious heads in once word got out that the Mand'alor had come calling. Her danger-sense was still idly on alert as she made her way back to the table where Kandor sat speaking with another of the newcomers.

Even from behind, she could see how tired Kandor was. The subtle slump of his shoulders that no one else would have noticed as the weight of what he'd stepped up to do for their people and for her settled on them. A peal of thunder rolled across the sky as Vi'ika rose and met her half-way across the floor and escorted Mirdala back to Kandor's side. Resting a hand on his shoulder, she fixed her jade eyes on the man Kandor had been speaking to trying to place him, but not quite able to. At least he bore no signature of Ab'ki that she could detect, though she could see a slight hint of pain behind his eyes.

How many others have lost people to this damned shadow war of ours? she wondered to herself, her eyes roving over the other Mando'ade knowing that there was a better than even chance that at least some of those assembled here would fall within the coming weeks.

It had been morning when they'd left Chandrila and dawn when they'd arrived in Keldabe and even she felt the day's weariness pressing on her. "We should get some rest. It was an early morning when we left and arrived here at dawn." And I know you could use a break, she amended sub-vocally via her implant.

fMZZcER.png

Kandor looked up at his wife with a hint of relief on his face. "Sounds like a great idea," he said. He rose and picked up his buy'ce from the table, then nodded at Vihk. "Excuse me."

-----------------------

Up in their room, they shed their beskar'game and for a little while just managed to enjoy the relative quiet. The sound of the rain on the transparisteel pane was something Kandor had heard countless times in his life, but it reminded him now of a certain night on Hapes and he allowed himself to linger on the memory. It had been a challenging day during a challenging mission in the Consortium, but as it had wound down they had taken some time to themselves, talked about the past and their hopeful future, made dinner.

Now he found the rain just as soothing as it had been then, but Mirdala stood wordlessly at the window, her hair down and her eyes on the storm, and he knew this wasn't just ordinary end-of-the-day fatigue.

After watching her for a few minutes, Kandor got up from the chair where he'd been half-dozing and walked over to her, gently slipping an arm around her waist and looking out at the falling rain himself. "You're pretty locked down," he observed quietly. "I don't think I can manage this on my own, cyar'ika."

iTJBZId.png

Vihk acknowledged Fett’s departure with a smile. “Go have fun you two.” He said.

Fett deserved a little R&R. Vihk didn’t even know the man, and he could tell there was a swell of anxiety in his expression and his stance. Meanwhile, Mirdala, lovely as always, appeared to finally be making moves on him.

Good for them. Vihk thought to himself. It had been a while since they were all in CoreSec together. And, while their relationship had been purely professional at the time, Vihk had always hoped the two would get together. The way their thoughts and actions seamlessly complimented each other was indicative of a deeper connection. He had, since meeting the duo and watching them fight, paired them in his mind. But he’d always keep his thoughts to himself for fear of repercussion. After all, Fett was his superior in CoreSec as well.

Vihk grunted in the silence.

He didn’t want to be left alone with his thoughts. The old mandalorian had lived long enough that introspection was a tired and worn venue for catharsis and stress relief. Good old fashion hand-to-hand though, that beat brooding any day of the week. Vihk was just about to get up from his bench when a familiar face stood out in the crowd.

Kavut, leader of clan Tenau, stood at the other end of the Oyu’baat, eyeing Vihk. Vihk could feel Kavut’s gaze as the stale air of the building crossed over his skin. His face turned beet red. His steel green eyes lent consideration to Kavut’s azure blue. Kavut’s cornsilk hair draped carelessly across his finely constructed face and Vihk could feel bumps rising to the surface of his skin. His grip shifted on the wooden table and his feet fought with each other to regain stability. He tried to get up, but found that he lacked the strength.

Kavut, seeing Vihk’s struggle, blushed and made his way closer to the former Mand’alor’s table. He stopped his approach a few feet from the table itself and smiled, his white teeth reflecting with a remarkable sheen in the low-light of the Oyu’baat.

“Is this seat taken?” Kavut asked, his tone light with hues of coy and sass.

b9bOzf7.png

Mirdala didn't immediately respond but did settle against him as the two of them watched the rain pelt the transparasteel. Standing like they were wasn't overly smart considering the easy targets they made silhouetted against the ambient light of the room and the darkness of the starless night. She hadn't really cared or was worried, trusting in her abilities enough to sense the danger and whoever she might have felt before there was any actual danger. Besides, Kandor had assured her of the relative safety of Keldable, though, having been grabbed in one of the safer districts in Coronet City relative was well, just that.

The memory made her shutter slightly, and she drew herself closer to his warmth. "You wouldn't have to if it wasn't for me..." Mirdala finally whispered, her eyes never leaving the street scene below. "I've brought open war to our people. From a certain point of view...I've done whatever I was created for."

"I really don't know how I can be of much help to you. My only real battle experience has been the work we did with CoreSec and the Augury. War is something...I don't truly know. Seeing you today, the gathering...It's just so real now. There's no turning back."

fMZZcER.png

Almost stunned by what he heard coming out of Mirdala's mouth, Kandor loosened his grasp on her waist to turn fully to face her, giving her his full attention. "You watched out for your team and brought a dangerous demogolka to justice. Everything Ab'ki and her associates have done since is on them alone," he said. Just as they had resolved between themselves that they were not guilty for what Judyc or Lura had done to her, neither was Mirdala in any way responsible for this. It was the only way to push on into a dangerous and uncertain future.

"Since then, you have accomplished so much, saved so many lives," he continued, gently brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Including mine, several times and in several ways."

He glanced at the door before fixing his eyes back on her jade ones. "There's a lot to do and we're the ones to do it. Every turn so far, we've just managed to stay in this fight because we've relied on each other." A hint of passion crept into his voice. So much had happened since Abraxos, and somehow every step of the way had yielded the next lead. Even the bad things -- when Mirdala had fallen into the trap on Hoth, and Kirlocca had been called in to help her recover, it had created an opportunity for her to receive Force training that he believed would be critical in the future. When she'd fallen victim to Viba, they'd come away with the data that had now given the Mando'ade the information they needed to be ready for Ab'ki's assault, a significant edge that they would have otherwise been without. Even Fett's psychosis under the effect of RAGE had brought them back together on the Enigma.

"Through the Moon Knights and my own experiences, I have an idea how to approach this," he said, "but this is never going to work without you. I need you to keep me honest and focused on our people rather than just beating the enemy. I need your administrative skills as we organize millions of verde. I need you to watch my back and root out Ab'ki's agents. I need you to talk to your buir, your aliit, and the Seekers -- they're going to be critical in ending this. And, when the time is right, I need you to find Ab'ki and Fieyr."

He lowered his voice and put both hands on her waist, then smiled and kissed her. "In short, I need you to do what you do best and be my other half," he finished.

iTJBZId.png

The Orar blasted out of hypserpsace above Manda'yaim. Tros sat at the helm, his buy'ce was resting off to his side. It was a rare occasion for him to not have it on. The planet before him he had only visited twice before. Once with his dar'buir when he was very young. Too young to even remember. The other was when him and Riella went looking for their mother after dar'buir openly admitted siding with Kyr'tsad. Those memories were not pleasant. Tros slowly piloted his ship down towards the surface. As the ship broke the atmosphere, even from such a high point, he could see on the surface multiple Vheh'yaime across the plains and surface of the planet. Turning his focus back to piloting, he thought for just a moment how the planet itself never did feel like yaim'la to him. But then again, neither did Corellia. Only Shogun and Concord Dawn did. Those were the two planets he had spent most of his time on. Those were yaim.

Carefully, he approached Keldabe and landed his ship. He still wasn't sue what he was supposed to be doing. He was never a Clan Leader before. Up until last year, he had always relied upon Riella to guide him when he felt lost. But his vod was gone. He was all that remained of his Clan. Turning the engines off and shutting the ship down, Tros but his buy'ce back on his head and climbed out of his fighter. He didn't feel a need to carry his full armament on him, as this wasn't war yet. So for now, he just carried his DL-44 blaster striped to his leg and called it a day. So he now walked towards Oyu'baat, which was about the only thing he knew he had to do as a Clan Leader. He guessed the rest would become obvious to him upon entering the doors. Although, he also wouldn't mind when he had some spare time to go and visit Mandalmstors and window shop a new ship. Orar had become very beat up recently and was slowly becoming less valuable to him as a beyora.

Walking in the doors, he almost immediately saw no one that he knew, so he just kept his eyes open and moved to go place an order for a strong drink after the interaction he had with Xae-Lin. He had expected differently what had actually happened upon meeting his half-sister. Granted, one idea also had her dead already, so all things considering, he should consider himself lucky at the outcome. But no he had other things to focus on, or so he had hoped with this summoning of the Clans. The wonder of what it could be would give him something else to occupy his mind for the moment.

My-Almas-Way-Creation (1).png

Her eyes searched his face for several moments as she did her best to allow his words to alleviate much of her uncertainty and tension. While they didn't dispel it completely they'd served to crack the surface of her walls enough to let his love and confidence in her wash over her. In many ways, she realized, she'd helped him reclaim his humanity and forced him to admit to himself that he was so much more than simply ShadowFett. Even if she couldn't give him children, she had given him aliit and helped him reclaim a part of himself that had never really been given a chance to develop.

Would their paths have crossed if she'd never defeated Ca and been transferred? Unlikely. Why was she still simultaneously clinging and fighting the past?

"Cin Vhetin," she whispered, resting her head against his chest as his arms pulled her closer. "You're right. The past is the past and I should let it be. Whatever this looks like, whatever the outcome, I'm by your side and I don't intend to leave it. I guess I'm just anxious. I don't want to let you down."

fMZZcER.png

Kandor's smile returned. "Won't happen," he said. "Not after all we've been through, what it took to get here. And whatever is coming, nothing can change that ni kar'tayli gar darasuum, Mird'ika." He kissed her again, savoring the moment. However confident he was that they had the skills and the support to pull this off, a battlefield was dangerous and unpredictable, and so were Ab'ki and Fieyr. Though it would never keep them from doing the right thing and facing these challenges, there was no guarantee that they were coming out of this in one piece or at all, and he could not be certain that this was not one of the last evenings they would have together like this.

He realized Mirdala must have been thinking along the same lines as the kiss ended and their eyes met. He started backing towards the bed, drawing her gently after him, and she began to unbutton the shirt she'd borrowed from him after her shower a bit earlier. Sleep could wait a little longer, he decided, as he laid her down and their lips met again.

--------------------------

Moon Knight walked slowly as he climbed towards the top of a hill covered in trampled yellowish grass. He was gripping his side tightly and felt his blood trickling out between his fingers. Every breath was agony and it felt like his ribs were cutting into his lungs. He looked down and regarded a deep puncture wound which had penetrating a set of durasteel and energy mesh brigadine which was emblazoned with a crescent moon over a blue and white standard. He almost lost his footing on the incline, and when he finally reached the summit he collapsed onto his knees.

Before him was a vast battlefield littered with thousands or tens of thousands of bodies. Most of them bore his same blue standard sans Moon Knight heraldry. So many good men dead. The landscape was littered with the wrecks of transport and assault vehicles, crashed speeders still smoking, and weapons emplacements. This was the defeat at Bpfassh, an event over eleven thousand years prior. The active Moon Knight had not been a commander in this battle, merely a soldier that had found a cause he'd deemed worth fighting and even dying for. Now that he was actually dying, though, he wasn't entirely certain. There were so many people he wanted to see again, so many innocents he could still protect. He wasn't done, dammit! This wasn't supposed to turn out this way -- the forces of good were supposed to triumph in the end!

He felt the butt of a force pike prod him in the back and slowly turned to face the man that had forced him to climb the hill. One who wore the same blue standard. "You'll burn in hell for this, Jasaat, you traitor," Moon Knight bit out, though it came as a wheeze through clenched teeth. A mix of blood and saliva escaped the corner of his mouth and added itself to that which already colored the grass.

"Save a place for me," the man said, then flipped the pike around and drove it through Moon Knight's chest.

--------------------------

Fett awoke with his hand clutched over his heart and he quickly turned his head to find Mirdala still asleep behind him, but was momentarily disoriented by the unfamiliar surroundings. He took a moment to recenter himself and recall that he was in the Oyu'baat.

He glanced at the chrono. 0530. He shifted onto his back. Late enough that he wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, but he could at least doze and make sure he thought through the dream again to make sure he was getting the message.

iTJBZId.png

It was just before dawn local time that the Blank Nova touched down on the soil of Manda'yaim. Rain was coming down in heavy sheets on the transparisteel, and as Tresha ran the ship through its power-down sequence, she wrestled with the duty she was here to perform. Coming in support of Kandor was an obvious choice, and she had been waiting for an opportunity to oppose Ab'ki's vendetta against their aliit, and Mirdala in particular. But presenting herself as the representative of the Ad'Norts to all the assembled leaders, many of them double her age, felt somewhat spurious.

Then again, without the systematic deconstruction of Taen's reputation at the hands of Ab'ki's network, she wouldn't have to be here in the first place. She glowered at the thought.

The time displayed on her HUD told Tresha that even if she got a room at the Oyu'baat, any attempts at sleep would likely evade her. She sent a double-click over her comm to Kandor and Mirdala, hoping that it would serve as a subtle acknowledgement of her arrival while not waking them. Strapping one kal to her upper thigh, she opted instead for a run through Keldabe. The rain pelted her face as she jogged, the city just beginning to show signs of activity as vendors began to appear to set up booths in the street markets. With each springy step, she left more of her anxiety behind her, and by the time she had arrived back at her ship, Tresha had worked up quite an appetite. Drenched in perspiration and precipitation, she stepped into the refresher for a sanisteam.

When she emerged from the ship several minutes later, she was clad in her beskar'gam and once again armed to the teeth. Tresha made her way into the Oyu'baat and sat down at the bar, plunking her buy'ce on the counter beside her. Breakfast would be a welcome start, and Mirdala and Kandor's company would be an even more welcome addition.

6Fg4S57.jpg

For timely responses, please direct PMs to JJS.

It was one of the best evenings Mellanie could remember. Araac's family had welcomed her with open arms. Laughter swept over the room multiple times during dinner. His family was loud, and boisterous, and wonderful. Coming from a small, quiet background, livened up by the occasional prank, it was quite a difference for her. But far from overwhelming her, she instead appreciated the sense of unity and connectedness everyone around her displayed.

Late that night as she lay next to Kalyani on a small rough-hewn bed in a sparsely decorated guest room, she couldn't believe how nervous she had been coming here. It was like she was family already.

The next morning dawned to a dreary rain pounding on the roof. The temperature had dropped overnight, too, and Mel was glad she had thought to bring a jacket. She saw her sister stirring. "I'm going to meet Araac for a run," she told Kalyani. "See you in a bit."

Throwing her long blonde hair up in a ponytail, she dressed in casual capris and a tank top, grabbing her waterproof jacket to cover it all. Then she headed to the kitchen, where Araac was already waiting. He smiled at her. "Ready to go?"

She returned the grin. "I'm going to win today, I can feel it."

"We'll see," he replied, raising an eyebrow mischievously.

Together, they headed out, running a course through the Vevut clan's fields and pastures. Mellanie loved running. The pounding of her feet, the sharpness of breath, the blood rushing to her face--all combined to make her feel so alive. And it was a good time to talk to Araac, too. As they ran, they talked about his family. She loved seeing how much they meant to him. His face would light up with the humor of a story, and she'd almost stumble laughing.

Halfway through the run, they paused to catch their breath. They had reached the top of a small hill that was on the north side of the Vevut farmland. It sloped up on one side, then fell sharply away in a cliff, revealing the entire farm spread out before them. They stood there in silence for a moment, steam rising in puffs from their breath, rain streaming down their faces.

"I'm so glad we came here," Mellanie finally said. "It feels like...home."

Araac grinned, and put his arms around her waist, pulling her close. "It will be."

She nodded. "I know," she confirmed, her heartbeat beginning to race again.

His hand pushed back a lock of hair that had gotten plastered to her face by the rain. "Have you told your buir yet?"

She shook her head. "No, but...I don't think it'll surprise her at all. Mom knows we're serious, and now that I'm eighteen..."

He kissed her gently, then pointed off to the west. "See that building over there?"

She nodded.

"That's our house. My father and uncle have already started building it."

Mellanie's jaw dropped. "What?"

"Surprise," he grinned roguishly.

"Araac, that's amazing! When do I get to see it? Can we go now?"

He laughed. "Not yet. I don't want you going near it until it's done. Should be about two more weeks, and now that I'm here, we can pick up the pace even more. And...there's another surprise waiting for you too."

"Another one?" Her eyes twinkled. "What is it?"

He shook his head. "I think they want to save it for a wedding present." She was going to protest, but he kissed her firmly and gave her a grand wink, then took off running down the hill.

"Hey, no head starts!" she called, pounding after him.

They raced the rest of the way back to his parents' house. By now, the sun was up in earnest, and the rain had subsided to a misty drizzle. "See you for breakfast?" Araac asked. "You still up for that tour of MandalMotors today?"

"Absolutely," she replied. "Let me get dried off and dressed, and I'll be ready to go."

"Just don't track mud through buir's kitchen," he warned. "She'll never forgive you for that."

Mellanie smiled, and used the back entrance, taking off her shoes before going inside. She went up to her room and got cleaned up and changed into dry clothes, then headed back down to Vae's spotless kitchen. She smiled, seeing that her sister was already there. "You're going with us to Keldabe today, right, Kaly?"

DSgZUkY.jpg

Daughter of Sabian Devanus and Zara Nargal

The air thickened around him. His nerves were picking away at the side of his head. And he had the distinct feeling of being cornered. But he refused to panic. Instead, Vihk shied away at Kavut’s piercing blue gaze. Something about those blue eyes continued to set his mind on edge; in a good way. But just the same, he wasn’t sure if he was ready to have this conversation. Vihk started to scratch a little at the table. His eyes were desperate to find purchase on anything that wasn’t moving. The bar stools. The tables. The chairs. Those striking blu-DAMNIT!

Kavut smiled a little. His eyes never hesitated. His attention remained fixed on the old Mandalorian. There was sadness there. Kavut wept amidst the blue fire still glowing in the heart of his irises. It wasn’t open to the Oyu’baat. But Kavut reached out for Vihk’s nervous hand and clasped it with his. The gray iron of Kavut’s beskar’gam clasped with Vihk’s green.

“Vihk,” Kavut started. “You don’t have to come back. I just came over here to say hi.”

Vihk’s tension softened with his touch. He felt the gentle grip of Kavut’s hand and bent his head a little toward the younger Mandalorian, giving his own hand, a tight squeeze. He couldn’t escape. He was trapped now, but he didn’t really care anymore. Kavut’s face was a little weary under his corn silk hair. But Vihk saw deeper than that. He saw his shrouded expression: the expression that Kavut was hiding under his mop of hair. Vihk saw the mournful cry hidden in his face. Kavut didn’t do well hiding his emotions. It was an interesting flaw. But it could always twist a knife in Vihk’s guts.

Kavut rose to leave, but Vihk grabbed his arm. It wasn’t violent. It was just enough to force to stop him from moving. Kavut turned to face him, a look of confused hope in his glare. “What?”

Vihk rose from the table and cut the distance between them, still holding onto his hand. “Hi.”

Vihk grinned wolfishly. And Kavut laughed.

“Hey, if they still have a room do you want to…?” Kavut asked. He turned away for a moment. But Vihk was the hook now. And he wouldn’t let go.

“Sure,” Vihk said. He placed his helmet on and followed Kavut to procure a room for the night.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________

The morning came swiftly. He felt a little odd and out of place. But he had to remember that Nar Shadaa days and Mandalore days were different. He got less sleep. But hey, sleep was for the weak anyway.

He sat up, armor-less, and clothed in little other than his big white T-shirt. He opened his eyes and rubbed at the sockets with groggy resistance. But he had to wake up. This was the important day. Jaraht called him early and told him that he was going to be at the meeting as well. Something about: “I was apparently the only Skirata with the last name Skirata,” or something like that. Vihk wasn’t sure, he was half asleep at the time.

He rose to his full height and started to put his undergarments on before beginning the arduous procedure of replacing his beskar’gam. It was more arduous than it had to be. But Vihk liked taking precautions with every piece as he put them on. Vihk was a stickler with his armor.

Vihk had just started to put on one of his boots when a familiar hand touched his back. He smiled. Kavut kissed him lightly on the cheek and then flopped right back onto the bed, looking at the ceiling, too tired for anything else. Vihk chuckled a little under his breath and reached over to give Kavut’s hand a light squeeze before continuing to put on his boots.

“Thank you Vihk. Thank you for that.” Kavut said. His voice was a little mushy due to a sleep-worn jaw, but Vihk could pick out what he meant. Kavut turned his head to look at Vihk before continuing. “I missed you. I know we said everything would be okay. I know your visit was brief before. But it’s nice to know you still feel like that for me.”

Vihk’s expression waned. His smile was somber and rife with regret. “Always.”

Vihk finished putting his beskar’gam on and went down the stairs to join the others.

He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what to do. It was all up in the air at this point. He didn’t even know what Mand’alor had planned. It was all a lot more complicated than he had originally planned.

Kriff…

He was taking his time down the steps when a familiar sight greeted him, making his life even more complicated. Two of his three sisters were there. One, Luca, the youngest of the three, was beaming at him with her usual youthful glee. The other, Anika, was brooding; it was her default setting. It was either that, or she was yelling at their mother, or coming up with another off-color comment. Vihk sometimes wondered if she had a moment where she was kind and peaceful, but hesitated to ask.

Luca didn’t wait. She rushed up the stairs and tackled Vihk to the ground, causing them both to slip down the stairs in their armor.

“Gotcha big brother! BAM!” Luca said. Her youthful fervor was kind and endearing as always. It never ceased giving Vihk a raging headache whenever they contacted each other, both literally and figuratively. Her orange armor glinted in the low light of the Oyu’baat, but her marble white smile was visible, which meant she wasn’t wearing a helmet. Crazy mynok…

“Nice to see you too Luca, where is Sera?” Vihk asked, alluding to the more level-headed of the three.

Luca pouted a little, but her mischievous glare never faded. “Why? Am I not enough family for you?”

“I’m here too ya know.” Anika added.

Luca laughed a little. It was a light and pretty sound. “I know I know. I just wanted to poke at Vihk. Take a joke!” Luca jumped off Vihk with another giggle and started down the stairs, letting the old Mandalorian regain his balance and follow her. When they reached the bottom floor, Luca turned and tried to speak again. But her expression was pained. Surprisingly, her usual bright and cheery demeanor took on a more somber note. “Sera is with Mom.”

Just like that, Vihk was back to an emotional square one. This day just keeps getting better and better…

b9bOzf7.png

Mirdala shifted in her sleep slightly, subconsciously moving her towards the warmth of his body as she settled against him again. She wasn't quite ready to wake yet, but the bond they shared caused her to rouse anyway, just as her comm clicked on indicating her cousin's arrival almost the same instant Mirdala registered her presence in their shared empathic bond.

Rolling over to rest her head on his shoulder and her hand on his bare chest, she allowed herself the luxury of slowly waking up in the arms of the man she loved with all her heart. War was coming and she would take these quiet moments with him where and how she could. "Another vision?" she murmured after a few seconds.

fMZZcER.png

Putting his hand on top of Mirdala's and wrapping his fingers gently around hers, Kandor nodded and stared at the ceiling. "Sure don't pull their punches," he said. "But I suppose I signed up for this. Last few have been cautionary tales from the past."

He turned his head down a little to look at her. There was something existentially satisfying about waking up with her. Circumstances would change around them as events took place and they journeyed to different worlds, but she was a constant, as was the support she gave him. How the day would end was uncertain, and some of it was bound to be unpleasant, but in this peaceful morning hour he harbored no doubts or reservations. How many of his predecessors as Mand'alor had slept in this very room over the millennia, steeling themselves for what was ahead? Impressive verde, the best among their contemporaries. And though his appointment had been unconventional, Fett had earned his place among them.

The galaxy needed reminding, it seemed, that the Mando'ade were not to be trifled with, and he would lead them.

Repositioning to be more on his side, he ran a hand up the bare skin of Mirdala's back beneath the sheets, his fingertips passing over rows of raised scar tissue at irregular intervals. The riduur of Mand'alor, tough as he was. He leaned in and kissed her, his hand coming around her ribcage as he pulled himself away and sat up on the edge of the bed. "Gotta start early today," he said, finally standing and heading into the refresher for a sanisteam. "Maybe we can meet Tresha for some skraan."

---------------

A little while later, clad again in their beskar'game, Fett and Mirdala returned to the large room that was the Oyu'baat's combined meeting hall and dining area. They quickly spotted Tresha at the bar and headed over to join her, Vi'ika tailing them closely. "Su'cuy," Fett greeted her. He supposed she was here representing the Ad'Norts, given Taen's situation. He looked across the bar and one of the staff approached him for his breakfast order. He chose something simple and another spiced caf. He was going to need it this morning.

iTJBZId.png

Mirdala could feel the flicker of surprise at Kandor's curt greeting, even if the other woman's face didn't betray it. Her greeting, however, was much warmer as she clapped her cousin on the shoulder and spun her around for a hug and an enthusiastic, "Tresh'ika!"

As the other woman returned the greeting Mirdala whispered just loud enough for Tresha's sharp ears to hear,"Don't mind him. Not one for public speaking and not use to speaking at length in general." As she's spoken, Mirdala had switched to using one of the archaic forms of the language that all of the Ad'Norts spoke, likely the last modern speakers of the languages save for Mirdala and her brothers.

The same member who'd taken Kandor's order looked at her expectantly and she found the idea of breakfast didn't sit well with the rest of the tension she sensed in the air. "Just tiffen for me. Not too hungry this morning." She shrugged. "Do you want to help me run checks on the setup? I get the feeling some of the leaders would rather have Mand'alor to themselves for a bit."

Mirdala didn't have to look to know that a few of the clan leaders were watching her and she could sense a mixture of emotions echoing through the Force though they were vague. She suspected most of it was out of curiosity at ShadowFett showing up and talking about working with his team. For her part, her greeting of Tresha was as much emotion as anyone in the Oyu'baat had seen from her aside from her quiet conversations with Kandor. She hadn't been with him when he'd evicted the DeathWatch off of Mandalore and ousted the pretender Hadrian from the world and this life.

How long has it been since they've seen you last Kandor? She asked him via their implant frequency, suddenly realizing she hadn't really ever asked him about it. She knew it had been sometime within the eight months they'd been apart, just not when exactly.

fMZZcER.png

Sipping her caf at the bar, Tresha was lost in her own ruminations when Kandor's voice broke her reverie. "Su cuy'gar, Kandor," she returned, but couldn't suppress a flicker of surprise at the reservation she felt emanating from him. While she knew he was a man of few words, his personality was not often so shuttered in her direction. Mirdala's enthusiasm and subsequent explanation, however, gave more than ample cause, and the anxious anticipation she felt was mirrored in both of them.

"Dika," she susurrated with a warm smile. For all the curiosity she had about the substance of this historic gathering, Tresha was most relieved to find that Mirdala seemed to be in a good frame of mind, minus her butterflies. Whatever the ordeal she had gone through prior to the aliit gathering on Chandrila, it had been obvious to Tresha that her cousin had been more affected than she'd let on to the others. Draining the dregs of the Oyu'baat's prized spiced caf, she left her mug on the bar. Tucking her buy'ce under one arm, she rested the other hand on Mirdala's shoulder. "Lead the way."

As the pair of women moved off, Tresha glanced at her cousin and leaned in quietly, following Mirdala's lead in using the old dialect as they walked past the Oyu'baat's population of early risers. Here, at the meeting of the clan heads, were likely to be some of those who had denounced Taen and Reska and thoroughly demolished their reputations. Her own wariness seeped into the guarded glances that darted to and fro as they walked. <"What's going on? The air is so thick you could slice it with kal'e.">

6Fg4S57.jpg

For timely responses, please direct PMs to JJS.

"Few weeks before we met back up on the Enigma," Fett responded to Mirdala subvocally. Truthfully not long enough. The Mando'ade didn't need him to be a public face, they needed him do what he was doing now, rallying them when there was a threat to the entire culture. The fact that it had been less than a year since the previous crisis was not typical of the last few centuries.

He pulled off his buy'ce again as his skraan and caf arrived, nodding at Tresha and Mirdala as they headed off.

It didn't take long before someone approached and sat at the bar next to him. A man in black and red beskar, maybe in his late forties, his hair streaked with gray. "Everyone's wondering who the girl is," the man said without preamble.

"That's their right," Fett answered, taking another bite of his meal.

The other Mando'ad studied him for a moment. "Didn't take you for a family man," he pressed. "Who is she? Meet her outside the Sector?"

Mand'alor turned to face him, trying to get a read on him. "Kida Nor'an," he said. "From Concordia. Worked together in the field a while." He would expect Ab'ki's agents to already know who Mirdala was, but he wasn't going to risk painting a target on her back if he was wrong.

"Think you'll ever put down roots in the Sector?" the man asked.

"Nayc," Fett replied. "I'm here because our people are in danger."

"Must be pretty big."

"Briefing in a few hours."

iTJBZId.png

Tros sat in the corner of the bar in Oyu'baat with his buy'ce by his side. He was in the dark corner, so he was a bit hidden from others. He watched people come and go. He saw Fett, Mand'alor enter with someone and sit down next to another. He watched as the girl sitting and the one with Fett leave as Mand'alor sat and ate his food. Tros then looked down at his own drink and took a swig. He didn't know exactly what was going on, and he felt a little solus without Riella around to help him. Brexton would have been a welcomed sight, but he was not the leader of Clan Rook. His uncle was. And Tros could not se that man anywhere yet.

Tros felt like it was about time to move. He had been sitting in the same spot for over five hours, doing nothing but drinking Ne'tra gal, seven of them by this point. Downing the last bits of his seventh one, he stood up and put his buy'ce back over his head and began to walk towards the meeting hall in Oyu'baat.

My-Almas-Way-Creation (1).png

As the night wore on, the gathering became quite jovial. There was some measure of acceptance for both girls. Kaly relaxed more when she saw how well received Mellanie was. It was as if she were already part of their family and this was only their first night there. It was all so different from how the girls and their brother had been brought up. They had met so few of their relatives. Kalyani had always wanted to find out if they had other family apart from those on Dathomir that didn’t want anything to do with them and after having met those of Araac’s family, decided that she would one day look into it. Their mother hadn’t said much about when she and their uncle grew up on Corellia so that’s where she would start looking into their grandfather’s side.

Kaly actually found herself giggling when one of the boys played a prank on the other. She had clamped a hand over her mouth but couldn’t hold the mirth at bay and seeing how Araac’s sister Jaesko was laughing just as much, she let go of her tight control and really began to enjoy herself. Kaly couldn’t recall another time when she laughed so much. She even made a suggestion to Thrin on how to get Rir back and watched on as he carried it out, causing their end of the table to roar with laughter again. She, Mel and Kane had often pulled pranks on each other when they were young. She shared a couple of them when she’d stopped laughing enough to.

When they left the table after the meal, Jaesko showed Kaly around. As they walked outside the two girls started tentative at first, to get to know each other. It turned out that they had a bit in common with their interests. Their ages were also close, Araac’s sister being just a couple of months younger than Kalyani was. Jaesko asked her what it was like growing up at The Golden Link Casino. Kaly told her how she had loved going up to the gardens, laying back on the grass and staring up at the “night sky”. How the holograms were so real looking that if she used to feel like she was planetside rather than on a space station. The only thing missing was the fresh air. Looking up she noticed clouds rolling in, hiding the stars from view. There was also the hint of rain in the air. Kaly loved the scent of the rain. She breathed in deep. “I only realized how much I loved the smell of rain when we went down to whichever planet the Casino was orbiting at the time.”

Jaesko came with her when she retrieved her own and Mellanie’s overnight bags from the Crazy Mynock. While there, the Mandalorian spotted Kaly’s vibroblade and turned the conversation towards weapons. They agreed to train together as soon as there was time to. The two girls were laughing together when they headed back to the house. She was shown to the room the sisters would be sharing, then they said goodnight. Kaly was asleep when Mel came in.

The sound of rain hitting the roof was the first thing Kaly heard when she woke up. Mel was already up and dressed for running. "I'm going to meet Araac for a run," she told Kalyani. "See you in a bit." Kaly grinned at her saying, “Have fun” as Mel headed out the door. She got up and dressed in black cargo pants with a grey shirt that matched her eye colour and pulled on her black boots. She ran a brush through her hair and tied it back in a ponytail. That done, she headed to the kitchen. Jaesko was talking to her mother when Kalyani walked in. “Can I help you with anything Vae?” she asked the elder woman politely. She was told to just sit there as she was their guest. A hot mug of caff was given to her while they waited for the others to arrive for breakfast. When Mellanie joined them she found the three women laughing at some story that had been told. Kaly grinned at her little sister, “Enjoy your run?” Her sister nodded as she took a seat, Vae calling the kids to order as the boys raced in. The kitchen was becoming a busy place.

“You're going with us to Keldabe today, right, Kaly?" The answer given was, “Yes… can’t wait.” Jaesko grinned at her brother Araac, “Mind if I come to?”

1cQgV4y.jpg

"Truth be told, though, you are Tandra Qwinn's daughter, heiress to the Qwinn house. There is no mistaking it." Deborma

Vihk’s forehead creased into worry lines that used to be a permanent part of his old face. He looked around the Oyu’baat and studied everyone around him before returning to Luca and Anika who were still standing nearby. Both of them held their buy’ce in the crooks of their arms and regarded him with patient eyes. He thought he saw the glint of something in Luca’s eyes but decided it was his mind playing tricks on him. He heard Kavut ambling down the stairs and caught his hand as he entered the main hall. He gave it a squeeze and let it slip right through his studded gauntlets.

Then his gaze turned back to Anika and Luca.

“Why are you here?” Vihk asked, finally.

The girls looked at each other quizzically and exchanged more vague glances with one another. They talked for a few minutes and then turned back to the old Mandalorian with a shrug. “We wanted to see our big brother?” Luca said playfully.

Vihk reacted with skeptical eyes. This wasn’t like them. His sisters had always been his rivals. Ever since he was a boy, his sisters were always trying to get the best of him. It was their aim. They needed to beat him. He didn’t know why at the time. And he still didn’t really know why. But he did know that they never ceased to get their end, whatever that was. Luca was the most playful of the bunch and never really meant anything sinister with her meddling. But her involvement didn’t come without its own scars. Anika was quiet most times, but she had a passive-aggressive edge that had no problem in curdling their mother’s blood. It was an art. An art that she used to get Vihk in trouble many times.

If they were here, it didn’t mean anything good. Although he was happy to see them, he would be hard pressed to say that he was ecstatic, especially with everything else going on.

Vihk nodded silently and grunted under his breath. “Alright. Feel free to stay in the Oyu’baat. But this briefing is for clan leaders and clan leaders only. When the briefing starts, you need to leave. “

The two girls nodded to Vihk and milled about. They gave him a small pat on the back and left to go join others near the door.

After they left, the air stilled and Vihk’s mind was a torrent of thought amidst the noise that filled the Oyu’baat. Their silent affirmation seemed good enough, but Vihk wasn’t convinced. Something in his gut stirred and he wandered over to his repeater, A’den, and picked it up off the ground. He ran a few weapon checks and did a thorough inspection of his beskar’gam before setting A’den down once more and wandering to the bar to order his own spiced caf.

On the way, he felt a small hiccup in one of his leg plates. He thought it was just an idle suspicion, but it happened again with a few more strides. Something wasn’t right. Vihk bent over and plucked at the underside of his right leg plate – where the foreign sore spot seemed to emanate – and found a small device no bigger than his thumb. It hummed and beeped, indicating its functionality.

It was a listening device.

Kriff…

b9bOzf7.png