The Library + Archives

Tiana Calthye

Since not all of you are likely to go into User Comments, you may have noticed the archives have been moved to underneath fanfic.

I like this because it assosiates the stories that were archived (purposelessly, in my opinion... no offense to the mod who did it) back to fanfic. However, there's a problem.

The threads in there are locked.

Also, it's used as a dumping ground for threads that were finished and run their course or whatever. Fine, fine, whatever. I don't see a reason to archive finished stories. Other people do. However, the archives do not contain FINISHED STORIES.

A finished story is defined as a story with 'the end' written on it. Not an abandoned story, but a finished story. But it has the awards threads archived, RP threads, etc. So I would like to propose what I believe is the optimal use of both boards (beyond simply merging all the stories back).

-All incomplete stories be removed from the Archives, and all finished stories, after being finished for a period of two weeks to a month, be moved to the Archives. The archives will have posting capabilities, but it will consist solely of COMPLETE stories from Jedi.net's literature board. This board will become a work in progress board--a writer's board--where all stories that are progressing forward will go, for discussion and critique and discussion of writing, be it grammar or 'is this a good idea?'. The archives will serve for the readers, and this as a thing for writing.

It would simply the reader's task, giving them a selection of all complete stories, rather than many uncomplete stories being worked on.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

So what you're saying is that every completed fic would be moved to the archives, and every incomplete fic would be moved back in here?

I guess I don't see anything wrong with the way things are currently, but I don't see anything wrong with your proposed method. So I guess I'm all for it.

My question is though, as follows: what would we do with the threads that have run their course (for example, the old FFA ceremony threads or the "I have an idea" threads)? In my opinion, they can just stay in the archives locked, while the finished fics in the archives would be unlocked. What were you planning on doing with those?

All that said, if we go through with this plan, I'd be willing to help you plow through all the fics in here and in the archives to see which ones are finished or incomplete. I know that would be a lot of work for one person to do, but "many hands make light work" or however the idiom goes.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Is it change for something better, or is it just change because it's stagnant in here? I don't think it's necessary, and as someone relatively new to this forum, I ALREADY have plenty of forums and whatnot to look through. Why not just make a thread with links and explainations of stories at the top of this forum? That'd be simpler, and it would allow for more flexibility in describing stories than a forum. I would love to thumb through a thread, but I'm not going to look in THREE forums with hundreds of threads in each, taking random chances on stories, when I essentially could have ONE THREAD guiding me.

The site is already cluttered with forums, and MORE clutter really doesn't add to anything.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

There are some really good stories that were never finished, but are still a joy to read. What happens to them?

And if you archive all stories that have been finished for more than two weeks or a month - what if someone new shows up, finds it, and wants to comment on it? I think two weeks to a month is a bit too soon for that.

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!

Not to put any words in T's mouth, but I think the idea is that the archived fics would still be open for us to post on.

Sometimes, change is neither good nor bad but rather just another option. That's how I feel about this idea anyway. Meh. So I'll "vote" for it.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Snrk. I didn't feel it needed to be changed. The first thing I WANTED to do was move EVERYTHING OUT OF THE ARCHIVES, and put the 'talky' threads like the FFA in the archives and have all of the stories back in here.

I would not be locking any threads in the archives, they would be open for discussion, they would just be all the 'complete' stories.

I tried a thread once--the recommended reading thread--which never took off. Personally, I see no need for change, but evidently other people have.

LAP: Three forums? There's two. The archives and this one. My proposed change was that one be for completed stories and one for incomplete stories, and that threads that have run their courses be let sink to the bottom. A lot of people don't like following stories and a completed story board would fix that. If I would've been in control of fanfic from the beginning, I would've had something different in place, though... I would've had one board for STORIES ALONE, and the other for a writer's hangout, for the threads that are not a story. I would've also required people put a sentence or two at the beginning of the story so that I could click on a thread, see that it's fantasy, horror, AU, or a Lord of the Rings crossover before having to read half of it and find out.

An index thread would be an insane amount of work, and I don't think me and Ami could do it on our own. It would involve summarizing EVERY STORY ON THE SITE. (boom) Not happening. Not unless the users summarized their own stories, and they could do that on their threads if they were gonna.

I don't necessarily like the idea of changing it, but the admins did, so change has been thrust upon us!

Ami: I'm glad you'll help.

I would also like to present the idea of splitting the 'talky' threads--I have an idea, FF Awards, discussing writing--and all the story threads in the other one.

Anakin: I'm going to unlock the archived stories.

Darsha: I don't care about the election, I'm in Canada. Okay, I do care, but not enough to wager the fate of fanfic on it.

JediKaren: Thanks for the support.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.