Star Wars: Reclaimer (12/21/08: Chapter 16)

Minus One

Hmmm... I'd like to see you build up more descriptions, especially since you're introducing us to an alien world. More than just dialogue, more than just dialogue! Really work it up.

Chapter four was very omnious... this one, I think, needed more visuals to be. I think maybe if the last sentence was italicized, it would've helped.

But yes, I suspect the story's going to start kicking off, full force here. Mmm. This is a good one, yes.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Dartha, I wasn't aiming towards so ominous so much as just a very vague character introduction.

Tiana, yeah I should have italicized that last part. I'll try to work on my descriptions. I've never been real descriptive, outside of action sequences. I guess I need more action sequences!

Chapter 6

”œIt has been brought to my attention that some type of ancient technology is on Csilla,”

hbsig.jpg

More action, bwhahahaha!

Don't limit yourself, though. You've done good description before. In the one with Anakin in the 'attic'... Toys in the Attic... I loved that short... anyway.

I do like the all-dialogue approach, though, because it forces me to picture it. I'd really, though, love to see your stuff as a graphic novel. Just saying...

It'd suit that well.

MORE ACTION!!!

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I just read all of this in one go, and these are the things that stuck out at me.

Your POV's are very short. Very, very short. Don't be afraid to tell the story in larger chunks. Let the characters go a little deeper in their conversation. Add a lot more description of your environments. I assume that you're switching so fast to keep the story moving quickly along, but in the process you're sacrificing a lot of what makes a story grip its readers.

Second, the characters are kinda... well, underdeveloped. things have started happening, but they don't have clear motivations or emotions. That last scene with To'sa is a perfect example. Her husband died. HER HUSBAND JUST DIED!!! That's what she thinks, so you have to write the scene as if it were true. Her perception is all that matters in her scenes, so everything she does/says related to her husband has to come from the base of "my husband is now dead" until her perception of his death is ended (for example, by his reappearance later in the story[?]). So anyway, that scene desperately needs some strong emotions. She lost her husband, that other Jedi lost a close friend. Make your audience feel their pain.

It takes more than a stellar plot (and yours certainly has a lot of potential) to make a good story. You have to have three-dimensional, believable characters that your audience can identify with. They have to have strong goals and motivations, and they have to run into strong obstacles. Also, in a story like this, description is key. No one cares how awesome your technology is unless you allow them to see it in their mind. Your wormhole description was good; it instantly drew up an clear mental picture for me. So, keep that up! More description, longer dialogue, and really let us feel your characters' motivations.

I didn't mean for that review to sound harsh; just what I see that could be better. Hmmm. I wonder if... naaah, Tiana's reviewing style hasn't affected me at all.

I'll be checking in on this story periodically. The most important thing is just to keep writing!

ttfsig14zh2.jpg

"According to this website, you should never trust the source of an online quote." --Abraham Lincoln

Sorry the update took so long, I've been busy the past week.

Chapter 7

”œThe silence is unnerving... I've been out here so long. It's dark and lonely and there's no one to keep me company. Am I going insane? The burden of being so 'smart'... I could think myself to death. Maybe I should wake him up...”

hbsig.jpg

Great work, I like the descriptions you put in, and I like how you put them in. They're nice and smooth, not breaking up the flow or anything.

There's a couple of grammar errors in the new parts, but it's really tiny stuff and doesn't make that much of a diffierence: an apostrophe in a posessive "its", a period at the end of a quoted sentence where there should be a comma.

Very nice!

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!

Korbin sighed. Unknown aliens were the last thing he needed. His Master had not foreseen this, or at least didn't warn him of it.

This was good.

You need more of this.

It's what we call POV. It was POV, it was good POV, it fit in neatly in the flow and really added to the dialogue. Dialogue can't convey everything, though it can get a great deal down...

I think I was a softer beta reader on you than I should've been. (I seriously wasn't that nice to everyone. Maybe I was just baised. I did kind of like your dialoguy style) It was a good update.

spsig.jpg

It's going to take me a while to update. School is starting soon, and I have alot of things to get done.

Chapter 8

Pernicious stood from his seat and looked at the scout with disappointment. ”œThis is indeed unfortunate. You are sure of this?”

hbsig.jpg

Whew... I dunno, too much description and it won't be Zero's style anymore, but not enough and it'll become too flat. There's a right balance. You work mainly with dialogue and action before... I like the fixes...

And the way the story is progressing. BWHAHAHA.

spsig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I was listening to Halo 3 music while I read this instead of doing homework. I found it quite the interesting read, even though I have to admit, I am very much reminded by Halo with it. I wonder why...

Anyway, I really like this idea that chapters are like a page long. Makes it easy to catch up.

Scorp.jpg

Well, you could always just post something like "OMG GREAT FIC WOW!"