Yehveshi Minor

"It's simple. The Duke can't just take you out of here because it is in violation of the system protocols. The elevator simply wouldn't work if he tried. It's one of those setting to remove cheating from the game. Obviously, their ability to hack the system isn't that advanced when it comes to other systems that work in tandem with the game mainframe. That's the only reason he wouldn't have taken you already."

Glancing forward as he saw the castle come into view, Titus continued, "The only other way to get you out of here is to go for an endgame. The final battle is an endgame. With an endgame, the story is over and everyone is sent back to the Gameroom Lobby. If they take the castle, the story is over. That's why we need to make sure they don't...and I'm sure they will make every effort to end this game as quick as possible."

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy looked towards the castle, her mind working overtime. If everyone ended up back at the gameroom, they'd just had to grab her. Why hadn't they done that already if that was all that was stopping them?

"Then we'll just have to make sure that they don't then. There is no way I want to be their prisoner again. With what we did to them it isn't any wonder I guess that they did come after me. I helped in the demise of the boss and second and we freed the other slaves, turning the authorities loose on them. They're no doubt after revenge... I never thought I'd be free, let alone going back to their lair to help destroy them. Meeting Kyle..."

She fell silent, her eyes misting over, though she brushed the moisture aside and kept on going, it being no time for that kind of thinking...

"You have a very special brother Titus. I thank the Force he came into my life... whatever happens up ahead."

Determination to revolt, to cause the pirates as much trouble as she possible could showed in her baring now. She wanted to twart them, wanted to destroy them. If only she had a comm... she'd be able to contact the authorities and put them onto the Pirates... 'If only'.

1cQgV4y.jpg

"Truth be told, though, you are Tandra Qwinn's daughter, heiress to the Qwinn house. There is no mistaking it." Deborma

"Yup, and you have a special man who loves you, Disra. I see the way he looks at you. You two have something really special. I hope I'll find that special someone some day... you don't have a younger sister by chance do you?"

As Titus finished his question they arrived at the castle gates. Ushering them in, they were met by a series of guards and soldiers.

Inside, the rebel leader greeted them, "It is an honor to finally have you two among us. I know of your sympathy for our cause. That is why I chose you two. We must make haste on fortifying the castle. Holding this castle could be the decisive factor in who wins this war. We must not fail here."

Titus nodded. Little did the game character know how important this battle really would be.

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy fell silent when he asked if she had a younger sister, eventually muttering... "Did have an older one... not anymore..."

She looked back the way they came from as they reached the gate, knowing the culprits to all her misery were on their way. They had to be defeated... at all costs.

She followed Titus and the rebel leader, listening to him and thinking to herself how double his words meanings were. She looked around, not really knowing how to fortify a castle but having different ideas about it the more she thought of it... her game character seemed to know what to do... at least someone did...

1cQgV4y.jpg

"Truth be told, though, you are Tandra Qwinn's daughter, heiress to the Qwinn house. There is no mistaking it." Deborma

After some quick preparations, Titus and Disra positioned themselves on the castle towers. Even from the distance, they could see the large advancing army.

"This is it. Dis...uh...Rina, you sure you want to be up here? When their archers and their catapults things get into range, it is going to be very dangerous up here. If you want, you can wait down inside the castle with the rest of the soldiers..."

As he finished the commanding officer called everyone to attention and signaled them to raise their bow and arrows. It was like a wave effect as the rows of archers lining the walls raised their bows high, arrows loaded. Titus did likewise. As the sun continued to set, the archers watched the soldiers advance. They would be within range within the minute and the rebels look forward to welcoming them with rainstorm of fire.

---------

After several minutes, Kyle heard one of the thug's intercomms go off. It sounded like the boss was pulling some of his men into the gameworld. Kyle couldn't imagine what he might be up to but all he could think about was Dizzy. She was in there. He hoped his faith in his brother hadn't been misplaced. He didn't know what he would do if anything happened to her. He decided to wait a few minutes and then make his move.

Finally stirring, Kyle moved as pieces of rubble, debri, and wall rolled off of him. Emerging from the pile, Kyle dusted himself off as he coughed from the dust created by his actions. Slugthrower in hand, Kyle slowly hurdled the counter. He imagined someone had heard his coughing. He didn't care, though. If anyone came for him he'd kill them. Saving Dizzy was all he cared about.

Kailsig1.jpg

Seeing the great army advancing, Diz swallowed. Her eyes met with 'Dru's' as he spoke to 'Rina'.

"Umm what do you suggest? I've never done this kind of thing before. Where do you think I'll be most useful?"

She really had no idea. No idea of what skills this 'Rina' had or anything else. She'd just read the information on Jazmin, and only the names of the others. Did she have any magic like before? What were her skills? Should she go down below?

Her eyes went back out, looking at the advancing army. They were throwing everything at them. The Pirates were desperate. Were they all in here, leaving a skeleton crew outside?

"There seems to be so many here... do you think we can sneak out of the game somehow? While they're all in here?"

Her thoughts were constantly going back to Kyle. She loved him so much and had no idea if he was still alive or if he had been killed. No, he wasn't dead. She knew in her heart that he wasn't. Some feeling that she had. She had known that the 'Duke' had been lying when he'd said that he had Kyle and was going to kill him. She still felt extremely guilty regarding the kiss too. Would Kyle forgive her for that? He'd know how this game worked... had that happened to him before?

1cQgV4y.jpg

Dru shrugged, "Well, I don't know. We are rogues. We have good stealth, stealing, even some swashbuckling. But other than that, we are just your regular people. That's what the rebels really are. Regular people fighting the oppression of the Kingdom."

"FIRE!" The call rang as the archers simultaneously released their firey missles. Down below, the archers could see the enemies fall as the arrows hit their targets.

"Ready!" The commander yelled as everyone loaded for a second volley.

Titus looked back at Disra as he loaded, "Rina. Please stay down there. If and when they breach the castle walls you can engage the enemy soldiers. Until then, keep yourself safe."

As he finished his sentence the second volley was released, again assaulting the enemy ranks.

---------

As Kyle moved his back against the wall, he could hear footsteps and gunfire. They were distant. However, he could tell they were coming in his direction. Moving his head to peak around the corner, he suddenly stopped when he heard some movement in the other direction. It would seem that the thug he had incapacitated earlier had finally came to and was holding the door open with the handgun he had kept hidden away in hand.

Diving away at the last minute, Kyle set off a round of ammo as he fell backwards to the ground. Although he had managed to gun down the thug while avoiding his gunfire, Kyle had thrown himself into the open.

With his head on the ground, Kyle looked up in time to see another thug peak out from the store right across the way. Kyle was out of time. He couldn't get his gun up in time. Only one thought flashed across his mind in that split second.

What I am going to do now?!

Kailsig1.jpg

She listened to Dru. Stealth, stealing and swashbuckling... great help... she thought to herself. The only difference I see here between us and rogues, is that he's always been free and I've always been a slave. There's no way in hell I want to go back to that. If we lose here... I really don't want to think about that... Oh Kyle... where are you?

"Wasn't the other exit in the Castle?"

"FIRE!"

Time was up. She watched as the arrows sailed over the edge and struck those below and then as they reloaded. She ducked down below to where the others were waiting still after a quick backward glance at Dru.

"Stay safe... please..."

Dizzy didn't know what she'd do if she lost everyone again. If she lost Titus in this encounter, who knew who he would be when he returned or where he'd be. Moving through some of the other rebels down below, she asked where she could acquire some weapons. She wanted to be able to fight if it came to it. Which knowing the luck we've been having... it's only a matter of time... but will the weapons do any good? That last thought remained in the back of her mind. She gathered up a sword and a couple of daggers.

Dizzy crept to a spot where she could sit relatively by herself, a place where she was kind of alone... as alone as she could be in a crowded, fear filled castle. In her relative solitude, she sat with her back against the wall, her knees tucked up with her arms around them while she thought of Kyle. Where was he? Was he alright? Would she see him again?

1cQgV4y.jpg

Kail could see the thug about to pull the trigger. "Bang!" Kyle closed his eyes tightly. Expecting to find himself dead, Kyle waited for a few seconds. If he was dead, things sure didn't seem all that different.

Finally openning his eyes, Kyle looked over to see the thug laying on the ground dead. In shock, he turn to his right to see an all too familiar but very welcome mask.

"Dad!"

"And you say I shouldn't worry about you guys too much."

"Wow... I can't believe this. But how? I mean..."

"Kyle. We can discuss this more later. This place is crawling with henchmen. Where is everyone else? Where is Titus?"

"In the gameroom I think."

Outstretching his hand, Valtros pulled Kyle to his feet, "Then what are you doing out here! Let's go get them."

Kyle nodded as he followed his dad.

---------

By now the enemy archers had came into range as well as the catapults. Tearing out chunks of castle towers and wall, my a rebel was sent falling to his doom. Holding his position, it was not long before Titus, too, was injured. Taking an arrow to the right shoulder, he stumbled to the ground. Suddenly, he heard the men screaming before running out of panic. Titus also responded, Finding his way to his feet and moving as far as he could.

However, it wasn't far enough as a firey rock of death collided with the wall and sent him flying. Falling quite some distance, Titus had luckily managed to land in a large pile of hay that was kept for the horses. Breathless and in pain, Titus stared upwards into the star night sky. He wasn't sure if he could hold on or not.

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy saw Titus fall, yelling out as she ran towards him, grabbing some first aid kit that was shoved into her hands as she ran.

"Titus! Dru... whatever. Talk to me!"

She began dressing his wounds, keeping an eye out for the enemy. No place seemed safe as the firey rocks were sent over. Flames licked up where they landed, creating an atmosphere all too familiar to Dizzy. Again she was six years old, all around her were burning buildings. She caught back a sob, shaking her head to bring herself back to the present.

"Don't you die on me Titus. I need your help dammit!"

She finished dressing Titus's wounds, dragging him away from the hay that was now in the firing line of the fires. She tried to find a place that wouldn't burn, dragging him towards a stone wall. Slumping down, she held him, demanding he stay with her while her thoughts went back to Kyle... where was he? Did he manage to get any help? Was he even still alive? Was this it for her... would she end up back in the slave pens she hated so much?

1cQgV4y.jpg

Titus was visually in pain. It could easily been seen on his face. Taking slow, deep breathes, he motioned Dizzy to leave.

"Rina. They are about to break through the gates. Arm yourself. Fight that off."

All around him could be heard the screams of fallen soldiers. Suddenly, Titus could see soldiers pouring over the walls. They just seemed much too good for regular AI opponents. They seemed like they were actually real people.

---------

Joining his father, the two fought their way into the game lobby and killed the remaining guards. Moving to the computers, Valtros began to press various sequences of buttons. Kyle, meanwhile, looked over the device the pirates were using to hack the game. It was pretty rudimentary. Within a minute, Kyle had completely disconnected it from the system.

Looking back towards his father, Kyle asked, "So what do we do now? Dizzy is still in there. And Titus. And Luke. And the rest of his friends."

Valtros smiled underneath his helmet, "Son. I am Valtros. I have the authorization codes for this complex. I've initiated the emergency override. In about two minutes the game will shutdown and everyone will find themselves inside the game room. Only, it will be the real world. No fabricated illusions or pain."

Kyle puzzled over these turn of events, "But shouldn't be go in there an find Dizzy first?"

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy was already armed, but there was no way she was going to leave Titus/Dru. She stood in front of him, her sword drawn as the enemy overran the compound. There was something different about how they came over, something eerily familiar about it. Dizzy seemed to be still caught back in her memories, her chocolate brown eyes filled with remembered fear, though also with a steely determination not to give in to them, not to become their slave again.

It seemed like they were looking around specifically for someone too, Dizzy swallowing as she realised that they were looking for her. First one, then another spotted her, heading in her direction.

"Stay down Titus... they're coming..."

She readied her blade in front of her, flinging one of the daggers at the leading Pirate only to see it go straight through him making no impact, instead hearing their laughter bellow out.

"They're still cheating!!"

She still prepared herself to fight them off, the others on her side defending however they could. Only a few of the 'enemy' fell, those that were real, that were the Pirates, all cheating with their devices that allowed them not to be effected by the game's weaponry.

"Give up little dancer, we have you surrounded. You and your friends. I'd hate to see you injured before you had to perform"

"Bugger off!"

Dizzy launched herself at them, finding the blade no good so throwing it in preference for attacking their heads. She found herself overwhelmed by their numbers, grabbed by several of them at once. She screamed, bit, kicked, anything to try and escape their steely grasps.

Suddenly everything changed, the scenery around them became the room...

1cQgV4y.jpg

Suddenly gunfire echoed across the game room as the pirates holding Dizzy fell to the ground. With vicious accuracy, Kail quickly gunned down the rest of the unarmed pirates as they ran for cover.

Then tossing Dizzy and Titus each automatic slugthrowers, Kail smiled vengefully, "Mind helping clean thing up?"

The pirates' position was completely compromised now. They were unarmed and had no way of escaping to the exit Kyle had behind him and the other exit on the far end of the playing field.

Chasing after the one he knew was the Duke, Titus lined up his sights. Setting off several rounds until the man in the distance fell to the ground, Titus stopped to reload. The pirates were all but finished.

Turning to Kyle, Titus asked curiously, "Kyle! Dude! Bro! You're amazing! But how did you do it? I can't believe you fought everyone off and were able to come back for us. That's just crazy!"

Kailsig1.jpg

As the Pirates fell around her, their grip on her released, Dizzy spun to see Kyle, her face lighting up with relief and love for him. She wanted to go to him, wanted to throw herself into his arms, though the threat wasn't over just yet. She caught the slugthrower, firing off a few rounds towards the fleeing pirates, again relieved when she saw the 'Duke' fall to Titus. She had been inching herself closer and closer to where Kyle was, extremely glad to see him, looking him over, noticing the fresh scars and how he was coated in dust.

With the threat of the pirates fading as they run from them, she took a quick moment to show Kyle how much she felt about him, hoping Titus would watch out for them. Her arms went round Kyle and she kissed him soundly on the lips, very bold for her but she was so relieved to be with him again. All thoughts of the game's treachery gone from her mind for the moment.

"I'm so glad you're ok... I love you so much Kyle! I couldn't bare it if I lost you..."

She too was curious as to how he managed to turn the tables on the pirates, dropping only one arm from him so that they could both continue to fire at the enemy, but remaining glued to his side, not wanting to be parted from him again.

1cQgV4y.jpg

Kyle received Dizzy's affection, but found himself disconnected. The "Killa" side of him had kicked in. All he was worried about was killing. Killing all these fools that had threatened his life and the lives of those he loved.

Responding to Titus's comment unemotionally as he visually scoured the area for any remaining pirates, "It wasn't just me. Dad saved my tail. This was his idea. Let's get the hell out of here...shall we."

Kyle motioned towards the exit he had used to reenter the game playing field, now wrapping his free arm around Dizzy's stomach.

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy was quick to want to leave, having well and truely had enough of the Pirates that had come after her.

"Any idea how they found us? And why they've come after us?"

She just wanted to get as far away from them as possible... before the shakes set in. All the memories that had been dredged up during the gameplay had made her emotionally vulnerable. From the images of her Father taking her for a horse ride, to the Pirates coming over the walls, the burning buildings, everything. The threats the Duke had used. It was all too much and she was battling to keep control of her emotions, keep them locked away. She couldn't help the shudder that went through her. And to top it off, the game had to throw her into a passionate embrace with "Dru". Diz could feel herself becoming numb as it all became overwhelming, just wanting to get away from everything.

"Can we get out of here?"

1cQgV4y.jpg

"Yes," Kyle replied as he turned to fall the exit pulling her body around with his. He looked back over his shoulder as they headed for the exit. Inside the " exit elevator", the group found themselves back inside the game lobby within a few seconds.

Stepping out, Kyle could feel Dizzy shudder. It made him shudder, too. His muscles flexed as he pulled her even tighter to his body. Slowly the group walked through the lobby towards the lockers.

Valtros just watched as they silently pressed on. Titus immediately headed for the men's locker room. Kyle, on the other hand, accompanied Dizzy into the woman's room as he refused to let go of her. Meanwhile, in random intervals more of the friends Titus had invited began to show up, unaware of what had happened.

Kailsig1.jpg

As they neared the lockers, Dizzy turned to face Kyle, her arms going around him as she held him tightly, her head resting against his chest. She had so feared that they would be met outside of the gameroom by more of the pirates. She didn't want to let him go, clinging to him for the longest moment in time. Finally she pulled her head back from him, red eyed though she held her tears back.

"I don't think I like that game... it makes you do things you never would do in reality..."

She managed a weak smile, reaching to the locker with one hand while still keeping within Kyle's arms. She had to let him go though as she pulled on her clothing over the top of the game suit. Dizzy still concerned about her modesty even though she'd worn rather revealing clothing for years.

1cQgV4y.jpg

Kyle never looked her in the eyes, keep his head and his line of sight forward and distant.

"No. It's not the game that's the problem. It's those pirates," his body tensing up as he finished the sentence.

Closing his eyes for meditation as she grabbed her clothes out of her locker, Kyle continued, "It just... it just doesn't make sense. Something about this just isn't right. I can feel it. There is something I'm missing."

He sighed, sternly releasing his grip around Dizzy.

"I'll wait for you outside. I need to get this dirt off me, anyways," he motioned finally looked down at Dizzy's face.

He still seemed distant, his eyes bouncing from her forehead to her cheeks to her lips to her eyes, but never directly meeting them. Gently rubbing off the dust she had aquired from rubbing against his chest, Kyle managed a smile.

"I'll be back. It will only take me a minute or two."

Kailsig1.jpg

Even with Kyle's comment about the Pirates, Dizzy was positive she never wanted to play that game again. She wasn't imagining it either, he was being distant from her, why else tense up with her? Why wouldn't he look at her? Did he already know about that kiss with Titus? The one she wished never had taken place...

"How was I supposed to know that I'd wake up being kissed after switching characters? Dead one minute, being kissed the next. It didn't mean anything... honest. You're the only one that means anything to me..."

Her eyes glanced down, Dizzy giving up on appealing to him as he left the room. She sank down to the ground, her clothing scattered around her. Since he'd left the room, she pulled off her shirt again, this time taking off the game costume and replacing her clothing without it. Fully dressed, she sank back down to the floor, tears beginning to flow silently down her face. Why had the Pirates come after her? Why hadn't they just let her go? They'd been intent on killing Kyle by the look of the dust over him. How had they found where she was anyway?

Pushing herself back up to her feet, Dizzy went over to the wash basin, splashing her face with water and trying to make it look like she hadn't been crying again. For the first time she'd actually let herself love someone and now it seemed like she was being pushed away. Why? What was it that Kyle thought he was missing? Again she began to feel like she didn't belong anywhere.

Looking back into her own eyes in the mirror, her sadness was reflected back at her. Her inner pain couldn't be hidden in her eyes, even if she could hold a neutral expression on her face. She'd seen Valtros as they'd passed by him on the way to the lockers. Dizzy would apologise for having had the Pirates show up here, even if she had no idea how they had. Gathering up her courage, she turned and headed out of the women's locker room, walking silently over to Kyle's father, though not seeing Kyle as she looked around. She stopped in front of Valtros, struggling to find her voice to begin with, though eventually managing to speak.

"I... I'm sorry all this happened. I had no idea they'd find me... or follow me here. I... I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I'll... I'll go. I don't want any more trouble coming here because of me..."

She fell silent. Dizzy had no idea how she'd go anywhere. She didn't know how to fly a ship, or even where she'd go. Back to Coruscant she guessed... back to Thorpes... if he'd still have her there...

1cQgV4y.jpg

Dizzy's words didn't even hit Kyle until after he had entered the men's locker rooms.

What? Kiss? What was she talking about?!

Kyle shrugged it off, counting it to the extreme stress of the situation. Stress could mess people up and make them say weird things at times. Undressing and washing his face, Kyle cared for his scrapes, scratches, and bruises. For the most part, with clothes on almost none of them were even visible.

Changing into his original clothes, Kyle stared into the mirror at the sink. He was distant, but it wasn't because of anything Dizzy had done. He was scared. More scared than he had ever been in his life. This was just a small taste of things to come. Even if the pirates never attack again, his line of work would put both of them in constant danger. Dizzy would never be safe. He would always have to worry. Even if he didn't take Dizzy with him, she would still be in danger. Going after loved ones was often one of the most effective forms of manipulation. He was starting to have doubts. Doubts about this. Doubts about if it would work. Doubts about everything.

---------

Valtros greeted Dizzy with a smile. It was the warm kind of fatherly smile someone would give their child when they realized they were in distress.

”œShhh”¦ it's ok, my child. You kids have been through a lot. I am just happy to see you are all ok. Buildings and objects can be fixed and replaced. People can't. That's all that matters to me right now.”

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy was struggling to hold it all back still, her worries about how the Pirates found her... about their attack... and how distant Kyle was to her. It hurt, more than she thought it would. She'd never felt as strongly for anyone as she did for Kyle. Dizzy had never let herself become close to anyone other than Reena for all the time she'd been a slave.

When Valtros drew her into his arms, she stiffened up to begin with, not used to the contact from anyone other than Reena or Kyle, though she knew that she could trust Kyle's father. She found herself relaxing, the tears she had tried so hard to keep hidden, now trickling down her face.

"I don't know how they found me..."

In her mind she ran through everything that had happened... if they'd found her... had they gone after Reena? Ka-Rith?!? How could they be stopped!?

1cQgV4y.jpg

"Don't worry. It's all over. Everything is going to be ok now."

As Valtros held Dizzy, Titus was accompanied by the Royal Palace Guards as he escorted his friends to the elevator and back to the shuttles.

Removing his helmet, Valtros let it fall to the floor as he looked over the sad girl. He wish he could do something to console her but all her had to offer was a hug and concern. He could help but think, "Why do the good people always have to suffer?"

Meanwhile, Kail finally exited the locker rooms. Without even looking at his father, Kyle pressed forward.

As he passed he requested, "Let's go."

Valtros's strong fingers, however, latched onto Kail's arms as he pulled him back his way. Giving him a stern look and then glancing down at Dizzy momentarily, Valtros attempted to use his eyes to signal his son without Dizzy noticing. Kyle should be the one consoling his girl. Although Valtros had no problem doing so, Valtros knew she needed Kyle to be strong for the both of them right now.

Forcefully yanking his arm away, Kyle repeated himself with the tension obvious in his voice, "Let's go!"

He then continued walking. Valtros was enraged by his son's behavior. He would have confronted him here about it, but he didn't want to cause Dizzy anymore trauma. The last thing she needed was to be in the middle of a fight.

Pulling off one of his gloves, Valtros softly wiped the tears from Dizzy's cheek. Placing his hand under her chin, he raised her face to look him in the eyes.

"You were very brave today, Disra. I'm very proud to have a woman of your stature stay with my family. You are welcome to my abode anytime... but alas. I am sure you are tired and we need to make way for the cleanup crews. I think it is time for us to take our leave. Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the shuttles?" his warm voiced finished.

Kailsig1.jpg

As Titus and his friends made their way to the shuttles, Dizzy began to try and compose herself. She never let herself get this upset in front of people she didn't know, but he was so kindly towards her that she just couldn't help the reaction. When Kyle re-emerged, his reaction and attitude had her stiffening up again. Why was he shutting her out? What had she done? Was it because the Pirates had followed her here that he was so upset with her?

She couldn't help the fresh tears that trickled down her face at his reaction, her sad eyes following his retreating back. She had convinced herself that he was angry at her, that this was all her fault and that Kyle didn't want her anymore.

When Valtros wiped her tears, telling her how brave she had been, that he was proud to have her stay with them she tried to manage a weak smile for him. He was being kind to her and not many people had been that way inclined to her over the years.

"Thankyou Sir."

Her soft voice was still showing her emotions as she nodded towards him. Dizzy was tired, the ordeal having taken alot out of her, more than she'd throught possible. She crouched down, picking up his helmet to hand back to him before they headed to the shuttles. She fell silent, letting him guide her back.

1cQgV4y.jpg

The burly old man nodded to Dizzy as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and placed his helmet back on his head. He then lead the two out to the shuttles. Discovering that his soldiers had already seen to freeing and collecting the various employees that had been held hostage, Valtros decided that the Captain of the Guard could handle whatever else might be needed.

Leading the young lady into his personal shuttle, Valtros took a seat next to her.

"We'll meet back with Kyle and the rest of them shortly."

Buckling her in first and then himself, Kyle leaned his seat back a little as the pilot ignited the engines. After they were into the air, Valtros slowly removed his helmet setting it on his lap.

"So how well do you know my son, Kyle?"

Kailsig1.jpg

She had fallen very silent and withdrawn as they made their way to the shuttles, Dizzy looked up as Valtros mentioned meeting up with Kyle and the others shortly, giving a slight nod. Her eyes were a dull brown, the girl falling into a depression as it sunk in just what had happened. As he buckled her up, Dizzy had to ask,

"Did anyone get hurt?"

She had to know, even if it would make her feel more guilty for knowing it. She fell silent again until he asked her how well she knew Kyle.

"Not... not all that well Sir. We haven't really known each other for long, but it seems alot longer. The first time I escaped the Pirates, he found me when I'd been taken in by Thorpe Corporation. He, another - Ka-Rith, and I went back in to free the other slaves. During that time... we got to know each other better... but..." not as much as I thought we had...

Her eyes downcast as she washed her hands together, her voice trailling off. Why was Kyle treating her like she didn't exist anymore?

"Did I do something wrong? Is that why he's shut me out like this? Because of the Pirates coming after us... me?"

It frightened her that she would be cast out alone again. Not to have Kyle in her life... well she didn't want to think about that now. Her voice was only just above a whisper now, as if she were talking to herself.

"There's only one other that I've ever been close to and that was Reena, my best friend. She and I looked out for each other in the slave compound..." A sad smile appeared on her face, "Reen kept teasing me because I'd never liked anyone before... never let anyone close to me. She kept teasing me about the way Kyle looked at me. Kyle... he... he means alot to me... even if we haven't known each other long..."

1cQgV4y.jpg

Valtros continued to lean back meditatively.

Finally, he responded, "You sure picked one hell of a first love."

Chuckling a little as he strolled through memories of the past, Valtros continued, "Kyle is a good boy. He's unpredictible at times. Even stubborn. But he always gets the job done. He's a hard worker... but there is still a lot I don't even know about him. He spent a good portion of his life in slavery and he rarely talks about any of it. In fact, I don't know if he has ever really talked about it."

Valtros glanced out the window as he watched the landscape pass by below, "I miss his mother. I see so much of her in Kyle. Her smile, her unpredictable nature, even her stubborness. We both miss her a great deal. I think, though, Kyle took the whole thing very hard. He once told me he can't even remember her face. I told him it's ok. It's understandable. But he just wouldn't listen. Somehow, he thinks it is his fault. That he disrespects her or doesn't love her because he can't remember her."

Valtros shook his head. Catching Dizzy's reflection in the window glass, Valtros suddenly turned back to Dizzy. While his voice had given away some anguish when he spoke of his past love, his face remained unchanged.

"There is a lot Kyle never tells me. A lot he keeps buried. I've told him it's not good for him to do that, but he never listens. I constantly fear for him. Scared of what he might do to himself and those around him. I find myself even questioning this new relationship. Is my son ready for such? He is still only a boy."

Valtros sighed, "You have a lot of work cut out for you, Disra. I can definitely say that much. I'll help where I can, though. I thought it might be nice if I told you a little about Kyle, his mother, and how everything turned out how it is now. Would you be agreeable to that, my dear?"

Kailsig1.jpg

Dizzy kept her eyes on her hands as Valtros spoke. She was interested in what he was saying, she was just embarrassed that she had spoken so freely, worried about Kyle and tired from the whole ordeal. Normally she would never speak to anyone so candidly. Kyle's father seemed to inspire confidence in people to speak their mind. She swallowed at his comment about it being a hell of a first love, not sure how to take that. Did he approve or not? He seemed to be nice to her, though it was his son that he was talking about.

When he started talking about Kyle's mother, his voice had some sort of quality about it that drew her attention. The love he'd had for her was obvious. Would she ever have a love like that? One that seemed timeless? Not likely with the way Kyle was treating her. She felt an ache deep in her chest where she'd had, prior to the pirate attack, a bubbling happiness growing. She felt like it had been trampled on. Almost to herself, in a pause between his comments, she murmured,

"Slavery does that... changes you. It takes a whole chunk of your life and destroys it..."

She knew exactly how Kyle felt when his father said Kyle had once said that he didn't remember his mother's face. Dizzy hadn't recalled what any of her family looked like. It had been a shock when she'd gotten that flash of her father up on the horse, though even in that flash, she didn't see much of his face. It was like looking up and being sunblinded while looking at someone so you didn't see their features.

Her attention was brought back when Valtros turned back towards her, his words sinking in and giving her doubts about everything still. Kyle was older than what she was, so if he considered him still only a boy... where did that leave her? She didn't know what the future would hold at all. Dizzy had never felt such emotions before and had no idea what to do about them. She again looked down at her hands, struggling to keep her composure.

She looked up as he said her name, and that he'd help where he could. Did that mean he did approve then? Dizzy had no idea... was totally clueless in that area. She did nod however, when he suggested he tell her abit about Kyle.

"Yes... I'd like that Sir..."

1cQgV4y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Valtros laughed, "Sir is far to formal. Valtros or Dad would do fine."

Valtros paused scratching his bearded chin thoughtfully, "Where to begin. Hmmm... Well, I guess I should start from the top. There were originally human colonies on the planet Zaddja. Zaddja became a protectorate of our Empire during the 3rd Expansion under my great great great grandfather. Ever since then, the Yehveshi Council has meet with the small colonial government on Zaddja. It is done once every 5 years and the main purpose to discuss the issues, concerns, needs, and so on of the Zaddja people. After all, many of the colonies now there are made up of Yehveshians who migrated from the homeworld.

Needless to say, I accompanied my father on his various trips to Zaddja. As it was customary, the various council members would stay in the homes of the townspeople while the meetings, discussions, and delegations continued their on-going cycle. The lengths varied depending on how many issues had to be tackled and those kinds of things. The import to that was the time I spent in the village. While my father would occasionally have me accompany him to some of the meets so I could get used to what would be required of me when I became Valtros, I most spent time with our host family. We also returned to the same town and the same family year after year.

That's how I met her. It began as a friendship. She lived in the village with her parents. She was one of the few children my age in the town so we spent much of my visits together. As the years progressed, continued to grow and mature. I still remember the day I asked her on our first official date. The weather was just perfect as the sun dancing across the ground in the cloudless sky. It had actually gotten quite hot so we had taken cover in a shady grove near her house. Leaning against the largest and longest standing tree in the grove, which the town people had dubbed Mother Wisdom, don't ask me why... wait. Where was I? ... Oh yes, we were both leaning against the tree. I looked over at her shyly trying not to be too obvious. We had been friends for a long time but I think that was the first time I'd really felt like I did right then. Heh heh. She noticed me, of course, and smiled back. I...heh... well I started to tell her what I thought of her. Mostly fumbling threw it. And then she just kissed me. And that's how everything started," noted losing himself in the moment for a few seconds.

Snapping back to reality, Valtros grinned and then chuckled embarrassed, "But alas, you aren't here to listen to the prattling of an old man. To make a long story short, even over the distance we continued to keep in touch and one summer it happened. It was in the heat of the moment really. One thing led to another and a few months later she contacts me to let me know she's pregnant. Of course, after everything first happened I had offered her position of my wife. It is Valtrosian tradition that consummation equals marriage. It's originally was formed as a protection for woman. Because of the high fertility of Valtrosian males, the law was made so that the new mother wouldn't be left without someone to be responsible for and care for her. I explained all this to my wife. In the eyes of my people, she would have already been considered my wife after all. But her stubborn and independent side kicked in. She decided to take her chances. In respect for her decision I also promised not to tell anyone that he was my child or that she was my wife.”

Kailsig1.jpg