Flyboy (Luke\Mirax vignette)

Jedi Snarky

Authors Notes: Wrote this for a challenge on the JC awhile ago...thought I'd share.

Quote: "Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash." Top Gun 1986

Timeframe: Sometime after Truce at Bakura...

Summary: Mirax Terrik picks up an EV Luke.

Length: vignette

Flyboy

Wedge Antilles owed her big time. Mirax Terrik was used to smuggling Jedi artifacts and selling them to the highest bidder. She was not used to, however, smuggling Jedi themselves. Luke Skywalker had gone EV in the middle of a space battle, and she'd had to pick him up in the Skate. Unfortunately, his suit had begun losing life support, and he'd been sick with hypothermia by the time she reached him. So not only did she have to play transport, she also had to play nursemaid. Mirax tossed her thick braid over her shoulder irritably as she tucked a thick blanket around Skywalker. She'd stayed up all night with him to keep an eye on his temperature, and because he moaned in his sleep. Mirax smoothed back his blonde hair as he stirred in his sleep, letting sympathy override her irritation. The last few years had obviously been hard on him, and he carried the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders.

Mirax decided she must be growing soft if the sight of a helpless man made her emotional. Wedge was really going to pay for this. She decided then to move away from the sleeping Jedi, but strangely her hand refused to leave his smooth forehead, and the peaceful look on his face was quite captivating. He moved into her touch, and sighed softly. "Leia."

"Leia?" Mirax raised an eyebrow. How cute, he had a little crush on the princess. She'd killed men for less than mistaking her for another woman. She snatched her hand away as he stirred again, opening his clear blue eyes.

They widened upon focusing on her. "Um, hello."

"Hey yourself," Mirax nodded to him.

Luke sat up, the blanket falling down to his waist. "Who are you?"

"Mirax Terrik," she let her eyes roam over his well sculpted chest. "Do you work out?"

"Huh?" Luke asked, then turned bright red as he looked down. He lifted the blanket, and his cheeks darkened to scarlet. "Um," he took a deep breath, avoiding her gaze. "Where are my clothes?"

"In the wash," Mirax wrinkled her nose. "They were absolutely filthy." She laughed at the look of disbelief on his face. "You had hypothermia flyboy, I had to get your temperature up."

Luke slowly pulled his blanket up to his chest. "Y-you?"

"Do you see anyone else here?" Mirax cocked an eyebrow.

"No,...but..."

Mirax got to her feet, and ruffled his hair. "Relax Lukie, you have nothing I haven't seen before."

Luke stared at her. "Lukie?"

"It's your nickname," Mirax informed him, moving away from his bunk. "Stay there, I'll get you some broth."

"I'm not hungry."

"You will be when I'm done," Mirax replied simply. "You may want to lie down, Lukie, you'll feel better sooner."

She left him gaping after her.

From what Mirax remembered of Luke Skywalker, he was born and raised on Tattooine. She spent far longer than she would have liked trying to synthesize bantha meat broth. Now she was turning chef for this man. She decided that she'd better return him to the Alliance as quickly as possible, before she ended up sewing the holes in his flight uniform. How did he manage to get one on the ankle anyway?

Shaking her head, Mirax carried the broth into the medbay, finding Luke wandering about searching for his clothes. The moment he saw her, he jumped back in the bed, giving her his best wide eyed, innocent look. "Can I have my clothes back?" he asked.

"Depends."

"On?"

"Your abilities to stay in bed," Mirax pulled up a chair beside his bunk. "Can't have you fainting while wandering about my ship. I don't feel very inclined to carting you around again."

Luke tipped his head to the side. "You carried me?"

Mirax met his gaze steadily. "I'm a lot stronger than I look, flyboy."

"I believe it."

"Good," Mirax extended the broth to him. "Here, drink this."

Luke pushed it away. "I'm not hungry." He gave her a pleading look. "I need to return to the Alliance."

Mirax sat next to him on the bed and held the bowl in front of him. "Look, honey, you can either drink this like a good boy," she stroked his cheek, "or I'll have to charge Wedge extra for spoonfeeding."

"You wouldn't," Luke protested.

"Wouldn't I?" Mirax asked, looking pointedly down at the blanket covering him, then slowly turning her gaze upward.

Luke froze. "You would."

"There's hope for you yet, Lukie," Mirax patted his arm and handed him the bowl. "Drink up, then it's back to sleep for you."

"I'm not tired," Luke yawned, lifting the bowl to his lips. "Maybe I can help you repair something."

Mirax wondered if all Jedi were this stubborn. "Yourself, maybe. I make it a policy not to deliver damaged goods."

Luke shook his head. "I've got to do something. Do you have any remotes I can borrow?"

"Whatever for?"

"Saber practice."

Mirax raised an eyebrow. "You plan on sparring remotes naked?"

Luke blushed. "No, I meant for you to give me my uniform back."

"The moment I think you're well enough, I will."

"I'm well enough now," Luke persisted, finishing the rest of the broth. "I can prove it to you..."

Mirax pursed her lips, suddenly recalling the old Garik Loran holodrama, Ace Pilot. There was a specific quote that definitely applied here. She took the empty bowl from Luke and placed it on the night stand. "Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

Luke blinked, giving her a funny look. "Son?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," Mirax smirked. "Do you prefer honey?"

"Yes!" Luke exclaimed, before realizing what he'd said. "I mean no..."

Mirax placed her hands on his shoulders and gently pushed him down. "Go back to sleep, honey. I'll be here when you wake."

Luke looked up at her stubbornly, crossing his arms over his chest.

She raised an eyebrow, and leaned over. "What are you waiting for Lukie? A kiss good night?"

He gave her a decidedly impish grin. "Maybe I am."

"Too bad," Mirax got to her feet and threw him a wink. "I only give kiss good mornings."

It doesn't matter what color of hair you have, only that you have hair.

My Niece

Well, isn't this an interesting meeting. Old faces all over again. LOL *glomp* It's GREAT to see you!

I quite enjoyed this one-shot. Quite adorable and funny. Loved the characteriztion, and totally could see it happening in canon. The last sentence needs a little work "I only give good morning kisses" or "I only kiss in the morning" or something along those lines would be a little better.

Otherwise, if it were on FF.net, I'd fav it.

You know the closer you get to something

The tougher it is to see it,

And I'll Never take it for granted,

Let's go!

Every_Super_Villain_should_have_a_g.jpg

Teehee...another funny little one-shot. I agree with Obi-Q in that I don't see it actually happening, but I have always noticed how similar Mirax and Mara are. They have the same sassiness, the same attitude. I like how you brought that out more by having Mirax call him 'flyboy'--an affectation that Mara uses, if I'm not mistaken.

Very cute. I hope you keep posting stuff! They make me smile.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

I agree with you, Ami - Mara and Mirax are certainly similar in many ways! I think Luke and Corran might comment on this in the books once - about never letting them meet or something, but i can't recall for sure.

Another amusing little tidbit, SnarkstersashayingalongsingingforLukie! I do have to agree with Ami that I can't quite see this happening in cannon, and I'm having trouble putting my finger on it because it is so close to being there.... but it fits perfectly within the realm of fan fiction. Poor Luke, especially when he still hasn't had much experience with girls at this point... and Mirax *would* pounce and have a little fun with that!

Keep posting these!

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

Obi-quiet:

Well, isn't this an interesting meeting. Old faces all over again. LOL *glomp* It's GREAT to see you! You too!

I quite enjoyed this one-shot. Quite adorable and funny. Loved the characteriztion, and totally could see it happening in canon. The last sentence needs a little work "I only give good morning kisses" or "I only kiss in the morning" or something along those lines would be a little better. Agreed!

Otherwise, if it were on FF.net, I'd fav it. Thanks!

Amidala Skywalker:

Teehee...another funny little one-shot. I agree with Obi-Q in that I don't see it actually happening, but I have always noticed how similar Mirax and Mara are. They have the same sassiness, the same attitude. I like how you brought that out more by having Mirax call him 'flyboy'--an affectation that Mara uses, if I'm not mistaken.

Very cute. I hope you keep posting stuff! They make me smile. Hahaha thank you! They were on the JC awhile ago, and I figured I'd post them here...hoping to attract old friends.

NavyGal:

Hehehehe! Oh so awesome! I seriously have yet to find a story of yours I didn't like Snarky m'dear! Thank you!

Gimpyjumpingdownthegrocerystoreaislethinkingthewinesignisfliritngwithher:

I agree with you, Ami - Mara and Mirax are certainly similar in many ways! I think Luke and Corran might comment on this in the books once - about never letting them meet or something, but i can't recall for sure. I remember that!

Another amusing little tidbit, SnarkstersashayingalongsingingforLukie! I do have to agree with Ami that I can't quite see this happening in cannon, and I'm having trouble putting my finger on it because it is so close to being there.... but it fits perfectly within the realm of fan fiction. Poor Luke, especially when he still hasn't had much experience with girls at this point... and Mirax *would* pounce and have a little fun with that! Thank you! Of course it didn't happen in canon...Lukie was married to me by now in canon.

Keep posting these! As in the sequel to this one?

DarthBrendo:

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Lighthearted, fun and with some sass. Easy read. Thank you!

It doesn't matter what color of hair you have, only that you have hair.

My Niece

Thank you! Of course it didn't happen in canon...Lukie was married to me by now in canon.

Lol!! Of course! That's ...what I meant... Lol, you're hilarious. You and Lukie were married quite some time ago, and retired to the Isle of View.

Keep posting these! As in the sequel to this one?

Well, I meant more stuff in general. All of it. Not just sequels to this, but it certainly includes sequels to this if you have them on paper or floating about in your head.

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

Well if everyone is returning to FF then I want to be part of the fun again too.

OMG SNARKY!!! How I have missed you and your stories.

And this was a wonderfully cute story to read on return. I love the play between the two characters, Luke is so... Luke. And I love Mirax, she's as awesome as Mara.

I actually caught myself smiling as I read this, a mix between reading a good story, and reading your stories again, thankyou for coming back and posting.

Myth2010.jpg

But I'm out of cheesecake.

Taking over JNet, 1 thread at a time.

JNet Royalty