Tython

Xae cast her a sympathetic look before embracing the woman and allowing her calmness to flood between them. Her thoughts turned to her own dilemma that had been whether or not to follow Joreel when he left the Order to lead his people and she found it very easy to empathize with Jaina's confusion. "I know what it's like to fall for your Master. Joreel and I shared a special bond, one that we both tried to deny during my training, but one that ran deep and could not be ignored." She paused as she sat back. "We were planning on marriage at one point.

"I'm not sure why...but I can no longer sense him. My heart tells me it's because he's passed. Even if he were to return, as this Raynuk has apparently done, I don't think we'd seek each other out. The two of us became very different people than the two of us that fell deeply in love. I made my peace with the situation when he left me for the Mandalorian people."

Xae rose, feeling sharing a bit more of her own story would help Jaina be able to feel out her own decision. "During my trials as an Exorcist, under Il-Andon," she didn't miss the slight wince at the name similarity to Jaina's husband, "I had to focus on and concentrate on purging a growing darkness placed there by a curse from my brother. During my own Knighthood trials, I'd gone back to Dathomir and defeated my Nightsister mother and rescued his daughter from their dark influences."

There was no mistaking the surge of guilt and loss that echoed in Xae's Force signature for the briefest of moments as she recalled that her niece, Ineria, had been on Gala at roughly the time Xae had died in defense of the temple. Shaking her head, she continued, "During my fight with the darkness, I too found myself in a vision very similar to yours, only I'd been shown the life I gave up to remain with the Order. The child, the son I'd borne Joreel, none of it was real, but in its own way, the vision helped me make peace with something I'd refused to truly let go."

She paced the room for a few moments deep in thought and communion with the Force. "Jaina...I cannot tell you which road you should take. You said that Raynuk, Darth Quietus, is hunting you. You also mentioned your primary focus was on a personal mission. I sense your trials are merely a means to an end. You seek to learn what's happened with the child in your vision?"

Before Jaina could answer, the comm board chirped, causing both women to jump slightly at the interruption. Xae's head turned towards the console, then back to Jaina once she'd identified the transceiver code. "It's Master Kirlocca."

Keying her access code into the display, she opened the message and played it for the two of them to hear.

..<<:: "Xae, While I am not there to assess the situation, and your words do seem to paint a bad light, ... caution is also a factor a Jedi must have. I urge you to meet with me before you do anything. I am finishing up with my old friend now. I will not be returning to Tython, as there is nothing to do there. I am going to go to Cardia to meet with this new Imperial remnant. Meet me at Chandrila. It's a neutral ground for us to meet before going on the Cardia. Remain on your focused path until then. Kirlocca out." ::>>..

Xae sighed, though it was one of relief. She keyed in the acknowledgement before turning back to Jaina. "It seems our next move will be to leave for Chandrila tomorrow. For now, I would say rest, meditate, or merely ponder what you seek to gain by finding the child and how your action or inaction might affect her, where ever she might be."

She turned to leave the room and Jaina to her own devices but paused at the doorway compelled by the Force to offer up a bit more of herself to the struggling woman. "I assumed responsibility for my niece, bringing her to the Jedi on Gala. Not everyone made it out, but I have not yet found the strength to learn her fate. Whatever you decide, know that I very much understand your struggle. Seek your guidance within the Force and your own maternal instincts, I feel they will serve you well. Good night, Jaina."

psvBwny.jpg

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

PM Mirdala if you'd like a timely response.

Leave anonymous IC feedback here.

The blade hummed and sizzled through the air as Tobias angled it to deflect shots from the training drone. It felt foreign to him, and it was. This was the first time he had wielded a saber in this body- not fueled by adrenaline. After three- twenty minute sessions- he collapsed the blade and went about his business. The comm center had been turned off to give the system a break. The past day and a half it had been running at peak- the engineers stressed that it was a fragile system, and- while they addressed him as one of his Alias's- told him that it did need some down time or it would simply short out.

After a lengthy discussion the the PIT Droids- Knight, Ni, Ikky. He came to find out their functions- the three were so odd, yet they fit together nicely- each complimenting the others. Their programming was separate, and departmentalized- ergo no external modifications to accommodate their functions. After another two hours of discussing what their roles were, and answered the questions Vos had asked, they had all arrived on the same page. Tucking the saber into his robes, Tobias ducked out while he could still be unseen. He wanted to go down to the jungle- or even the village. Jedi/Sith robes never suited him, he wanted to invest in some clothes that would be more conformable. Overseeing some personnel and supply changes to the Tython base- nothing major just a few containers of Bacta and other medical supplies to the Eternal, as well as some droids and some engineers.

A beep came from his bag- the comm centers were back online and some good news had been delivered- his procurement of Buzz Droids and a few Corvette class ships had come through. They were sent to a predetermined location, and the bill would be paid upon inspection. He knew there was work to be done on the Corvettes, but that could be done later- at least depending on what his plan would be in the long run. Ultimately, these Corvettes, save three of them, would be used to secure shipping lanes, at lease for now. The other three- he had already submitted the modifications to a 'under the table' space dock.

He did have to wait so that the shuttle could be completed, but part of him wanted to rush out of Tython, and start seeing his actions in real time. But patience was the key, all these things would come about in due time. He had two stops before he would be able to get to the finished corvettes, added onto actually getting off Tython. But, something was keeping him here- one last thing.

Tirzah's brow furrowed. "Why wouldn't your master take you back?" She'd always understood the Master-Padawan relationship to be one that was supposed to be one of the most consistent. "I guess reality has a nice way of throwing all of the theory they provide you with out the airlock at its first opportunity," She shrugged and looked over her shoulder as she felt an odd ripple in the Force and sensed two other Jedi women pass by the cafeteria en route to business elsewhere. That was odd... Tirzah thought to herself as she turned her attention back towards Sandy.

"Training's been going fine with Master Ronta and the rest of my group. It's up to him who to put up as being ready for a Master. With us being hunted, I can imagine that it's been hard to get any sort of safe training arrangements setup." The girl leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially, "Between you and me, I don't think they know what they're doing. This isn't the days of being able to openly be in the greater galaxy. They try to hide their uncertainty, but it's kind of obvious enough to me."

Tirzah sat back in her chair. "It's not a popular view point to take, but there you have it. I'm kind of lonely myself, but I think it's because I'm pretty good at seeing through the games people play and they don't like that." She sighed, picking at her food once more as her wrist alarm chirped. "I've got galactic history class to get to. Sorry to dine and dash. See you at dinner or breakfast tomorrow if you're still here?"

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...

Lingering flickers of her vision replayed in her mind's eye as the hydraulic hiss of the door hid Xae's retreating back from view. Her story was eerily familiar to Jaina's own, and the details she shared helped to explain the extent of the empathy Jaina had been shown from the moment the tiny Exorcist had surprised her in the Library. The knowledge that she wasn't the only one whose heart had pulled against the wishes of the Jedi Order, and the possibility to reconcile such a thing, she found incredibly encouraging. In point of fact, feeling love for a master didn't seem to be an uncommon thing, as much as it was discouraged. The deep trust an apprentice must place in their teacher, combined with frequent life-or-death scenarios, served to intensify feelings of destiny and bondedness. While not always romantic, it nearly always forged a connection that could not be soon overridden. Andon often spoke of his master, Hale Akturus, with a unique reverence that Akturus alone had earned in her husband's mind.

Andon's name in her thoughts came with its inevitable twinge of pain. After delving into the dark and twisted vision that her own desires had constructed within the Force, it was becoming apparent that her inner turmoil was more than just inconvenient, it was disruptive. Maybe even dangerous. It rippled out from her in waves, upsetting the balance of the Force. The peace that Xae spoke of seemed far-off, if not unattainable, while she still had no answers concerning her family.

Well, not no answers, just none that she particularly liked.

Jaina tugged out the ribbon at the end of her braid and ran a hand through her hair, unraveling the plait. What's the worst that could have happened? she thought glumly. Andon and Tirzah, dead? No. No, the possibility of their death didn't concern her. If they were dead, she would chalk it up to the inevitability of the will of the Force and shift her focus to the next task she found before her.

But if they were alive? She could visualize a thousand scenarios, each more terrible than the last. Crushing darkness, eating away at Andon's soul, the Jedi Master turned away from the truths of life which he once defended... Ashley, given in to bitterness and jealousy, wasting away in a haze of depression and lost hopes... Tirzah, trapped in slavery, torn apart by abuse, hardened by neglect, ostracized by virtue of her birth defect?

Or, Jaina almost didn't let herself think it, perhaps they had moved on. Left her wasted body on the cold Hapan hospital bed, and replaced her with a gentler, less impetuous, more motherly woman. The picture of a chestnut-haired toddler with bright and joyful eyes sprang to mind, the little girl clinging to Andon's leg as a sandy-haired, faceless woman wrapped her arms around him. Andon drawing her in with the kind of look Jaina had only seen directed her way. A hot knife of vicious jealousy twisted in her stomach.

She jumped off the bed, using the motion to break the spell the image cast over her attention. Tugging her tunic over her head, she tossed it in a heap on the floor next to her bag. Cold sweat was beading on her forehead. Walking into the refresher, she splashed cold water on her face, calling back to mind the centered perspective her Dathomiri companion had given. "I have not yet found the strength to learn her fate..."

As the words landed anew in Jaina's consciousness, the childlike artwork smattered on the walls in Xae's dormitory made sense all of a sudden. Her erstwhile master struggled with some of the same ghosts, it seemed. Yet she managed to find herself totally present to the circumstance at hand. Jaina tugged back the covers of the bed and slid beneath them, quietly resolving to ask Xae in the morning how she managed to put her niece's fate out of mind.

While Xae's words calmed her anxious spirit, the weightiness of the decisions that sat before her seemed to increase.

Yes, she sought to learn Tirzah's fate. She wasn't naive enough to think that she could undo the past, or right the wrongs that the past twenty years had inflicted. But there was no ignoring it. Whether the maternal instinct that Xae had charged her to tap into, or the will of the Force, Jaina couldn't say... but something pushed her to unrest, a perpetual thorn in her side, until she found her daughter. The Force had led her this far, following the steps of her sister, trusting that no real harm had come to the girl.

The thought hit her like a superlaser blast. Her sister. Ashley had taken Tirzah into her custody. As long as her sister drew breath, she wouldn't have abandoned the girl, much as she had not abandoned Jaina herself. Sith, Jedi, or thousands of lightyears between them, Ashley had always managed to care for her, to keep a watchful eye. If Tirzah's aunt had mothered her, Jaina thought, tears streaming across her visage onto the pillow, she could have hoped for no better surrogate over the past twenty-three... twenty-three...

Twenty-three years. The single thought doused the fire in her soul. It had been twenty-three years since the birth of her daughter. The implications of that were no longer inescapable. Jaina's daughter would now have spent as many years roaming the galaxy as Jaina herself. She might very well be a Jedi Knight by now. A fresh wave of tears cascaded down her cheek. Tirzah might even be a mother.

The image of the precocious toddler Jaina kept in the back of her mind evaporated, lost to the relentless beating of time. When and if she found her daughter, she would be a peer. The opportunity of mothering, of mentoring, of forming and teaching and building a family identity had passed.

Pressing the heel of her hand into her eyes to stem the tide of tears, Jaina let out a soft, hiccuping sigh. Safe. The thought echoed through the Force, and Jaina's soul latched onto it like a security blanket. Yes, safe. She would settle for safe, if she ever found Tirzah.

But the sobs didn't relent this time, silent though they were, until Jaina found herself slipping into subconsciousness, and released her troubled mind to the blissful oblivion of darkness and rest.

----

Morning came too early. A nightmare she couldn't quite remember woke Jaina from her slumber, to find that it was almost dawn on Tython. Hanging her feet over the edge of the bed, she stretched her atrophied muscles before reaching down to retrieve the shirt she had discarded the night before. She wound her long hair into a knot, perched high on her head, and bent down to tuck her feet into her still too-new leather boots. No sooner had she done that than the door chime sounded, with Xae on the other side.

Pressing the latch control, the door hissed back, and Jaina offered a tired smile to the auburn-haired Jedi, reaching out with the Force in greeting. "Good morning, Xae," she said serenely.

Picking up her duffel, she gestured to the hallway with an open palm. "Breakfast?"

The two women made their way down to the dining hall, as Jaina detailed some of her thoughts from the previous night's meditation. They meandered into the cafeteria, settling into a table in the center of the room. After placing her order, Jaina sat back, sipping on a comforting mug of steaming hot caf.

"So, Carida and the Imperial Remnant, huh?" she directed the question to her counterpart. "Back in my day, the Imperials were allied with the Sith. But it's been a while since my day."

A sarcastic grin crossed her face, and even the astonishment Jaina felt at the calm in her soul couldn't wipe it away. It's nice to be back.

53bzzl2.png

My meditations were not helpful in illuminating my path, but there were helpful for recentering myself. As a result, I slept well that night, although I did have a bizarre dream about Adamarian swallows carrying coconuts. I had no idea what that was about.

I rose and washed my face, then raided the closet. The nice thing about being in a Jedi Temple was that they always kept the closets supplied with sets of clean Jedi robes in various sizes. I chose one that would fit me and dressed, then looked at myself in the mirror. I still wasn't used to seeing myself in Jedi robes. C'mon, Aira, you've been a Jedi for how long now? But most of my time with the Jedi had also been time with the Republic, and I hadn't worn robes that often. Well, it's time for a new start.

As I headed down to the cafeteria for breakfast, I reflected on my time as a Jedi. It had been very different than I had expected, going in. Growing up I had dreamed of the adventures, the vision of myself in Jedi robes, wielding a lightsaber, saving innocents from a terrible fate. I had wanted to be a hero. I shook my head with a small smile. Reality was much different than dreams. All I could do was be the best Jedi that I possibly could, and let the Force take it from there.

Arriving in the cafeteria, I glanced around for Aelyn, then spotted the red-head in line for food. I waved and joined her. "Good morning, Aelyn! Did you sleep well?"

We gathered our food and then turned to find a place to sit. With a start, I saw another Jedi I recognized. "Xae!" I said, waving. I nodded to Aelyn and we walked over to where Xae was sitting with another woman I didn't know. "How are you?! I haven't seen you in years!"

aira%20sig%202016_zpsneqbkyej.jpg

Captain of the Galactic Alliance & Jedi Knight

Aelyn had a little bit of trouble sleeping that night, such was her anticipation of beginning her Jedi training in earnest the next day. Yet, somehow, when she spent time submersed in the Force, the energy field had a way of filling her up and chasing away her fatigue. In the morning she got up early for a stroll on the Temple grounds, feeling as good as if she'd slept for ten hours even though she'd only managed a few. That trick would have been nice while I was still in school... she thought as she headed to the cafeteria to make her breakfast date with Aira, thankful that she'd gotten the full tour the previous night.

When Aira approached, Aelyn greeted her with a broad smile. "Yes, thank you," she answered. "This place has a very relaxing air about it."

She was delighted to find that the food selection contained several items she'd never tried before. She wondered briefly at the logistics of how a secret Temple would have food supplies delivered and prepared -- was everyone involved in the process a Jedi? Were there Jedi that had the duty of loading up speeder trucks with produce for the day-long hike, and others that were chefs making meals for the rest of the Order? Aelyn thought that there was no shame in these simple acts of service, but wondered how many Jedi felt the same way, when they conceivably could be applying their talents in an area of greater need.

Aira soon spotted another Jedi woman she knew, and Aelyn quickly moved over to join them. There were two new faces there, both Jedi women perhaps in their mid-twenties, a little older than Aelyn. One of them, whom Aira had called "Xae", was a few inches shorter and had a striking white streak through her auburn hair. The other was taller than Aelyn and felt different in the Force than any Jedi she had met so far. She didn't shine quite like the others did... and it seemed like she was, on some deep level, weary, as though recovering from an ordeal. Meanwhile Xae shone like a torch, at peace with the Force to her core but on an intellectual level harboring some new questions.

Aelyn shook herself out of her reverie. It was amazing how much she could learn about someone through the Force that before would have taken quite a lot of talking. It was less fun than getting to know them normally, but really it was only a starting place anyway. She smiled at the two women. "Hi, I'm Aelyn Talis. Do you mind if we join you?"

B7kIdWt.jpg

Xae wrapped her hands around the hot mug of tiffin, still attempting to wake up after a restless night herself. She was just about to answer Jaina, when a slightly familiar figure strode up to their table, joined shortly by another red-headed girl. The petite Jedi rose, and extended her hand to Aira, "I'm well enough. I was sorry when I heard the news about Onderin. I know the two of you were close."

Then she turned to the girl she didn't recognize and smiled warmly. "It's nice to meet you as well Aelyn. I don't think you could have hoped for a better master than Aira, here. Please join us. This is Jaina Skywalker. We were just discussing the offer the new Imperial remnant has thrown out on the holonet. You were at the peace talks Aira, what's your take on it?"

psvBwny.jpg

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

I shook hands with Xae. She seemed a bit distracted, but then, I had interrupted her conversation. "Thank you, Xae," I replied to her condolences. "It's never easy to lose your master, but I know he died fighting for what he believed in, and so I couldn't be prouder."

Xae naturally assumed Aelyn was my padawan, and I gently corrected her. "Aelyn's not my apprentice," I said. "She's a hopeful who the Force led me to on Chandrila, who has come to learn the ways of the Force."

I glanced at the other woman as Xae introduced her. "Pleased to meet you, Jaina. You aren't here by any chance seeking asylum? I recently sent someone with that same name here."

Suddenly, I felt a disturbance in the Force. Sadness stole over me, the Force weeping as someone important, someone significant, passed out of the galaxy. I didn't know who it was, but I knew that this person would be missed by many. May the Force be with you...

As the duo of newcomers approached, Jaina found herself caught off-guard by the eager light emanating from them. The younger--she introduced herself as Aelyn Talis--was a deep well of untapped potential, the Force shimmering around her with a purity that she hadn't seen in some time. This girl had never tasted combat, death, or depravity. Jaina envied her her innocence.

The second woman was stately, lovely chocolate-brown skin in sharp contrast to her glistening white teeth. Like Xae, she gave off the impression through the Force that, while she was kind, here was a woman you wouldn't want to cross. From the way Xae addressed her, this Jedi Knight--Aira--was something of a political figure, if she was present at the peace talks with the Empire.

Following Xae's introduction, Aira addressed her genially. "Pleased to meet you, Jaina. You aren't here by any chance seeking asylum? I recently sent someone with that same name here."

Jaina tried, probably unsuccessfully, to cover her surprise. "Y-yes. You were the woman who sent me here, then?" Her eyes lit up. "The Force does indeed work in mysterious ways. Aira, was it?" She inclined her head in a slight bow, projecting warm gratitude through the Force. "Thank you."

53bzzl2.png

Smiling, Aelyn took a seat. She'd always been pretty good with names. Xae and Jaina would be easy to remember.

Her lip twisted ever so slightly at the mention of the Imperial Remnant. Her father had been one of the main diplomatic faces of the New Republic, and she had been raised with an acute awareness of the evil the Empire represented. Although she did not think that war was the best way to settle the two governments' political quarrels, she understood why men like Master Starlisk had chosen to oppose them directly. More than anything, she had great compassion for the people living under the tyrannical government, and she hoped she would never see that regime rise again, lest it convince enough people that war was again needed and the people on affected worlds would suffer as a result.

"I'm pleased to meet both of you, Xae and Jaina," she said. "But it seems I'm a little behind on current events. What exactly has the Imperial Remnant offered?"

The Jedi had always stood against the Empire, at any rate. She was more intrigued by the offer than worried that the Jedi were ever going to follow a corrupt political agenda.

B7kIdWt.jpg

I smiled broadly at Jaina. "I'm so glad you made it! I hope the Jedi have provided you the sanctuary you were seeking." The woman had sounded so desperate over the comm.

I took a seat next to Jaina, across from Xae, and picked up on the thread of the conversation. "The Imperial Remnant is much changed since the war, Aelyn. They've lived quite peacefully as part of the Galactic Alliance." I took a bite of my breakfast sandwich. "I recently received a message from Raven Zinthos. She's is declaring the Empire a separte entity now, with herself as head of state, if I'm not mistaken."

I paused for a moment. "I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I trust Raven. Enough to hear her out anyway."

Kirlocca's comm from the night before echoed in Jaina's mind. She hadn't paid it much attention, endeavoring to give Xae some privacy, but the implications of following Xae-Lin to Chandrila to reunite with the Wookiee, and then on to Carida for talks with the Remnant, were beginning to sink in. She took another sip from her cup of caf, wrapping her hands around it for warmth.

"The Remnant wants an allegiance with the Jedi? For what point and purpose? They've always been more interested in expansion and oppression, and the profit of the powerful few, in my experience."

She glanced down at her plate, picking apart a piece of bacon into smaller bites. "I've never heard of Zinthos, but anyone assuming power, for any reason, doesn't sit well with me."

An image of the Council Chambers from the day before jumped to mind. The similarity to the new Grandmaster of the Jedi didn't escape her, and the irony of her statement caused a wry grin.

53bzzl2.png

Tirzah strode into the cafeteria, and moved automatically towards the line, making her usual selections. She hadn't slept well the previous night, feeling as though someone, somewhere was calling her again. She'd planned to speak to Master Ronta before classes to get his council on the matter. But first, she wanted to eat. She was starving.

Sliding into her usual place near to the table where four woman now sat discussing galactic politics or the like, she focused on eating her breakfast and did her best to ignore the impulse to glance up at the group every few seconds.

53bzzl2.png

Xae studied the other women for a moment before the Force drew her gaze to a young girl that had just entered the cafeteria. The girl appeared to be blind just as Jaina's daughter had been. The Force also seems to have its own sense of humor, she mused as she glanced towards Jaina. She wasn't going to call attention to it if nothing out of respect to Jaina's privacy.

Instead, she voiced her opinion concerning the Imperial Remnant and their offer instead. "I'll admit to being distrustful of the Remnant myself. I've also had some other concerns, a bit closer to home. That's why I've been in contact with Master Kirlocca and have made plans to meet with him on Chandrila to discuss them and his plans for at least hearing out what Zinthos has to say. You're welcome to come along with us Aira."

psvBwny.jpg

Aelyn looked at the other women. "I agree with you Jaina, but Raven Zinthos was the fleet captain that, together with Aira here, called an end to the fighting so that peace talks could begin," she said. "I think the Empire has given the galaxy plenty of reasons to be cautious about them, but they do at least deserve a chance to show everyone that they have changed for the better, especially since they're initiating the talks."

She shrugged. She was the youngest of them and not even a Jedi, so maybe this wasn't even her business. But her father had definitely rubbed off on her. "The Jedi at least owe them a meeting held in good faith. Otherwise it's like judging a holonovel by its cover." Although, she had to admit, in this case the holonovel cover was decorated with skulls. The government continuing to embrace the name and iconography of its old self did sort of suggest to the galaxy that they were the same organization. A stormtrooper was a stormtrooper, and most sentients in the galaxy had come to associate that white armor with the fear and oppression that it had represented during the decades-long war out of which they'd just made it.

Trying something else on her plate, Aelyn discovered that whoever was in charge of making the food knew a thing or two about making it taste good. The dish appeared simple, using relatively few ingredients, but even simplicity done well could be effective. Food was like art, and this dish was like minimalism.

B7kIdWt.jpg

Kala stared at the text of Master Meora’s text, “Advanced Foundations of Mental Healing in Conjuction with Jedi Mental Techniques” and felt a surge of exhaustion overcome her. Looking at the setting outside the library windows told her another day had ended at the Jedi Temple on Tython.

She sighed, wondering whether the dinner in the cafeteria might be worth forgoing for more study time with Meora’s knowledge. Assistant Archivist and Librarian Jedi Knight Lillian Meora made it clear that her ancestress’s series of tomes should never leave the archive.

Not that she could move the thing without assistance anyway.

When she began looking for guidance into the ways of the Jedi, she found herself fascinated with the Jedi Healing arts. A trip to the archives and talk with the Assistant Librarian revealed the series of texts, all of which weighed far more than any book should.

In addition to the weight, none of the twenty seven texts fit through a normal door, or even the double doors that lead into the archives, yet seemed to fit into her hands just right when she held them.

Kala could not make her mind up if it was some property of the books, an unknown aspect of sorcery, or something lacking in her knowledge that made them that way. Every time she reflected on the mystery outside of the archive, it made her head spin.

Inside the archive, reflecting on that mystery led her directly to the tomes. Tomes the librarian moved to multiple locations depending on what time of day she visited. When she asked why the librarian kept hiding them, Knight Meora just smiled and left her alone with the tomes.

As she had every day for over a month, Kala began experiencing the first exercise in the tome. The exercise always served to calm her mind and spirit, allowed the Force to flow through her, and revealed the deeper meanings of the tome’s knowledge.

Funny how long it took her to just master getting this far, to make the breakthrough that allowed her to reach the first Jedi power offered by these tomes. A simple one named Contact, that allowed her to make a deeper connection than most Jedi did when they made mental connect with another mind.

She sighed with pleasure at beginning the journey detailed by the ancient master within the tomes. In doing so she became aware of an insistent chiming, one that kept rising in pitch and frequency.

Kala attempted to dismiss the tome, but a hand on her shoulder interrupted her thoughts, her meditation, and brought her awareness rushing back into the mundane world.

Knight Meora looked kindly at her, clearly not wanting to interrupt even when she spoke to Kala.

“My dear, your holocom seems to be getting the attention of everyone in the archive.”

Looking at the holo-com’s small screen involuntarily, Kala silently screamed. Too well bred to actually do that, she instead looked to the archivist and said rather quietly, “I had better take this call. This could take a while, so go ahead and hide the tome.”

The archivist smiled before replying, “Seems we have the archives to ourselves and I have a tome I need to study myself.” She smiled and walked away with a faraway look in her eyes.

Reluctantly, Kala set the holo-comm on the table in front of her and pressed the receive button. Immediately, a half sized version of her mother materialized in front of her on top of the table somehow managing to tower over her.

Without preamble, her mother’s harsh tomes shrieked in her ears, “So dear, have you decided to give up this ridiculous quest to become a Jedi?”

Kala seethed inside, but kept her voice calm and level as Kuati ettiquete demanded.

“No mother, I have not. How are you?”

“I’d be better if you were home and dressed appropriately instead of wearing those Jedi rags. Fancy a daughter of Kuati’s greatest house giving up everything that was hers for this life. After all your father went through to get you a favorable match you just ran away.”

“Mother,” said Kala, “I did not run away. I accepted an invitation to become a Jedi.” She could hear the exasperation starting to build over an argument they had had daily since she left.

“And Bronan Dairos of all people,” said her mother, “just think what a match he would have made. Our two families, the oldest and wealthiest houses on Kuat, linked through matrimony with your father leading them both.”

The holo-comm did not depict the flash of greed and desire that Kala knew ignited in her mother’s eyes.

“Oh mother,” sighed Kala, “I am sixteen! . Bronan Dairos is thirty six, fat, and devoted to the Sith. I’d be his third wife after the first two disappeared under ‘mysterious’ circumstances.”

“So what?” said her mother, “the Sith always wield power. Being wedded to one me you could have access to all that power after you make him ‘disappear’”

“Mother!”, shouted a horrified Kala, “I will not marry him nor will I become a Sith so you and father can have any more power!”

Jaina and Xae's distrust of the Remnant was not surprising. The old Empire had committed many atrocities, several of which I had seen personally during my service. "Aelyn's right. I don't think we should forget what the Imperials have done in the past, but we always need to make strides toward peace. If the Imperials really are leaving the Galactic Alliance after all these years, I at least would like to give them Jedi input as they set up their new government. And thank you, Xae. I'm glad Master Kirlocca is going to talk to them. I'd be happy to accompany you to Chandrila, and then go with Master Kirlocca to these meetings."

Master Kirlocca had been the first one to show me the ways of the Force. He had taught me much, and I remembered the old wookiee fondly. But something Xae had said stuck out to me. "What do you mean, other concerns closer to home? You mean the Jedi? What's been going on with the Order? I've been undercover for a while with a criminal organization, so I haven't been much in contact with the Order as a whole. I got the new grandmaster's summons--that's why I came--but other than that, I haven't heard much."

“-Invite the Jedi Order to leave their hiding…”

Tares felt the vibrations of the engines travel up his spine as he watched the holorecording of a sharply dressed Imperial officer make an announcement to the whole of the galaxy. The message was old news by now, but the official invitation to the Order had officially gone unanswered so far.

“Our exit from hyperspace will be in three minutes.” Atlas, his personal hovering droid, announced from the other side of the hold.

Tares paused the recording and looked up, “Anything on long range sensors yet?”

The droid rotated to its sides as if to mimic a gesture of negation, “No signs of Jedi presence, however that is likely at this range.”

He had been putting off the notion of returning to the Jedi (even for an official business visit) off in his mind. He had left the order for a variety of reasons, many of them mainly due to responsibilities to his family. The Order was now in his past.

This visit, however, was necessary. Even though the Imperial Remnant had literally announced their location over the Holonet, Tares wasn’t ready to go knocking on their door just yet. The Order had either unofficially decided, put off, or ignored the Remnant’s invitation for a reason. Whatever the reason, Tares wanted to find out.

He hadn't completely avoided the Order. He kept in touch with past friends and students. He kept tabs through the Holonet. There had been just enough contact to keep a slight touch on its pulse.

Still, he already knew this would be a different order. “I'm not sure if I'm ready for this.” He said aloud.

“Ready for what?”

“Ready to step into the halls of an order I was called my own.” Tares replied.

Atlas seemed to hover in thought for a moment before replying, “My records don't indicate you have ever lived on Tython before.”

“True, but that's not what I mean.”

The droid paused again, “Ah, you were speaking metaphorically. If it eases your mind, there is a high statistical probability, given the Order’s history, that most of the old membership has either left, retired, or died. Metaphorically speaking, this Order is not the order you left.”

The thought didn’t necessarily comfort Tares, but he could appreciate the droid’s unique attempt at console. He began to think that the droid had a point, however, as the ship drew closer to the planet. In the Force, he could feel an expanding wave of familiarity: power, light, nature. It was a feeling he had almost swam in for many years.

Even so, the familiarity was only a surface treatment of the feeling. As he dug deeper, he failed to find any individuals he knew the sense of. It was like having a hand cloned: it was identical overall, but lacked the uniqueness created from muscle memory and experience.

Tares ordered Atlas to request landing clearance and to guide the Sogno into port after the ship has exited from hyperspace.

He allowed one more moment of exposure within the Force, taking in the feeling, before minimizing his presence. The art of the small: one of the few techniques he had kept polished was one he used almost out of habit these days. He decided to keep his presence withdrawn to keep the large flow of the Force from overwhelming while at the Temple.

It took about fifteen minutes for the ship to transition from space to atmosphere and then to slide into the Temple’s general docking bay.

Tares was greeted to a familiar sight as he descended the ship’s boarding ramp. Various ships were sprawled all across the floor of the bay with figures in brown robes, red jump suits, and orange work suits weaving through the free spaces. He took the sight in for a moment before focusing his gaze on the entrance into the temple proper.

“Atlas, access the Temple’s main database.” He said.

“Already done.”

“Good. What is on the general temple schedule at this hour?” Tares asked.

“It is the current meal hour according to the master schedule.”

That meant that most of the Jedi were likely to be in the temple’s main cafeteria at that point. It was as good a starting place as anywhere else.

“Alright, stay with the ship. I will comm you if anything comes up.” He said before stepping onto the floor of the docking bay.

Tares made his way through the gentle maze of ships and activity before entering into the temple itself. His entrance lacked any grandiose or dramatic element. The doorway led to one hallway, which led to another, then to another before opening up into a larger multipurpose space. As he walked, Tares naturally found himself falling in sync with the rest of the foot traffic.

His datapad provided the geographical details to navigate his way to the primary cafeteria. The space was even busier than the docking bay had been. Beings of all shapes and sizes wearing shades and forms of the familiar Jedi attire were clustered into hundreds of different groups. It was difficult to determine that this was an order in hiding from all the activity that lay before Tares.

Even with the Force, it would be difficult to identify a familiar face or authority figure in the crowd. Tares moved out of the door way and proceeded towards one of the less crowded clusters of tables.

He caught sight of a semi-secluded young girl sitting at one of the tables. Tares observed for a moment. She was a youngling or young padawan. Every so often, she would direct her head up and seemingly glance with pure white eyes in the opposite direction to her side. She was young, young enough to most likely know the who’s who of the room. After a moment, Tares decided to approach Tirzah.

“Excuse me, Young One.” Young One. It didn’t take long for Tares to fall back into his old rhetoric, “I’m hoping you might be able to assist me as I’m a bit lost. Do you know if I might find any of the council members dining here right now?

tares.jpg

Aira's question touched a subject possibly more sensitive than she knew. Jaina, having already asked a similar question of Xae, looked to her to see if her response had changed since communicating with Kirlocca. The Dathomiri woman set her eating utensils down and dabbed at her lips gently with a napkin, pushing her plate back. "I'll fill you in once we've gotten under way," she said with finality, making it clear that the issue was not to be pressed in present surroundings. "Our first order of business on the way to Chandrila, however, concerns the Eternal Vigilance..."

As Xae detailed her plan to leave the massive colony ship hidden in deep space, the women quickly hashed out the details. Aira and Aelyn would go together, as would Xae and Jaina, to rendezvous with the Eternal Vigilance in orbit. From there, they would moor the ship, keeping the coordinates (and beckon call) on hand. Then the two pairs would proceed to the rendezvous point on Chandrila. To Jaina's eye, Aelyn rather glowed with excitement at the prospect of the trip. She grinned at the girl's eagerness, and turned her attention to finishing off her breakfast, when she felt it. The distinct feeling of being watched.

Glancing around surreptitiously in evaluation of the surrounding tables, Jaina saw no one who made an obvious point of staring at the group with whom she currently sat. Ready to dismiss it as a fluke, her eyes suddenly landed upon a young girl who sat alone, seemingly waiting for someone. Her gaze was trained at the table, intently studying the plate of breakfast that sat before her. She looked vaguely familiar, and then Jaina realized--it was the same girl she had spied in the cafeteria yesterday on her way in from the gardens. Cocking her head slightly, she reached out with the Force, intending to get a better sense of the girl.

The dark head jerked up as though startled, and Jaina gasped audibly.

Purely white eyes, fresh from her troubled vision of the night before, stared back at her. Her heart plummeted to the floor.

There she was, Tirzah Jade, as beautiful as Jaina could have possibly imagined. Dark hair gently framed her features, her sightless eyes unblinking. But her age was all wrong. This girl was a pre-teen. Her daughter would be an adult.

And yet, her gently peaked nose, the shape of her eyebrows, the curve of her jaw... in looking at the girl, Jaina saw herself as if in a mirror through time. No possibility existed where this girl could not be her daughter. As Jaina touched her through the Force, a rush of joy filled her to the brim. The innate playfulness Tirzah emanated through the Force felt utterly familiar, and in her sightless gaze that narrowed under the scrutiny of Jaina's examination, a natural curiosity shone through. Yet Jaina could also detect that she carried a shadow with her, a chip on her shoulder of some kind, that kept her from peace and possibly even integration here among these halls. Impulse seized her, and she fought the urge to jump to her feet, close the distance, and wrap her daughter in a warm embrace.

Safe, her thought from the night before struck her like a backhanded blow. I'd settle for keeping her safe.

Gritting her teeth, she gathered her Force presence from the girl, reaching instead for Xae. Unsurprisingly, the latter was there to meet her, extending waves of peace meant for her wordlessly through the Force. She knew. Of course she knew.

Tirzah was yet a child. From the absence of the traditional braid winding from beneath her ear, Jaina gathered that she was not even yet a Padawan. There was still time. Careful how you tread, the thought came, though whether from within herself or from Xae she couldn't tell. Ponder what you seek to gain by finding the child, and how your action or inaction might affect her...

The bitterness that she had felt in Tirzah's young soul tasted sour in Jaina's mouth. If Tirzah resented her absentee mother, announcing her identity as such wouldn't endear her to the girl. It was a possibility Jaina had not yet considered, that the family she sought would want nothing to do with her. She could almost picture the accusations that this child would be able to level against her: you were never there for me... I was just fine until you showed up... so concerned about the fate of the galaxy that you had no concern left for me...

Somehow, she would have to prove herself to Tirzah before ever revealing her true identity. Somehow, she would have to convince her daughter's Jedi caretakers that she was ready to assume custody.

Custody. Jedi caretakers. Tirzah was not yet a Padawan.

Another turbolaser-blast idea rocketed into her mind, and hope flickered to life within her. Her trials! She would complete her trials under Xae's tutelage as planned, and come back to take Tirzah in as a Padawan. There could possibly be no better way to keep her safe in the long-term, especially if she was committed to pursuing the Jedi way. While keeping her out of combat was a more desirable path, her parentage--a daredevil father and a mother with a penchant for attracting trouble--would seem to imply that as a near-impossibility. The flicker of hope grew steadily until it was nearly an inferno. Her eyes glistening with tears of anticipation, she smiled warmly at the girl, even though she knew there was no way Tirzah could see her.

And if circumstances precluded her walking across the room to embrace her daughter, she'd settle for a wordless introduction. Reaching out in the Force yet again, she surrounded the girl with a warm blanket of the blaze of hope and love she felt swelling inside her chest. Hello, Tirzah. Just hold on a little longer. I'm coming back for you.

Suddenly, Jaina became aware that the conversation around the table had died down and all eyes were centered on her as she stared at an unknown youngling, agape and aghast, like a frozen Tauntaun. Wiping a hand across her forehead to brush a lock of hair out of her face, she cleared her throat. "Please excuse me, I lost myself in thought. Habit of the old," she joked awkwardly, offering no explanation of what had just occurred. Xae's knowing glance was enough for the moment.

Rising to her feet, Jaina applied the blazing heat of the Force within her to steady her limbs. "If we're all finished here, Xae and I can head back to Ashla to run preflight on the Traitor's Hope. We'll see you at the Eternal Vigilance."

She bowed in the traditional Jedi fashion to Aira and Aelyn, and fell in step with Xae. As they moved to exit the cafeteria, she nearly bumped shoulders with a man who entered, the scent of the forest still fresh on his clothes. She met his eyes briefly for a moment, but didn't stop walking. Strange, she thought quietly. He looks extraordinarily like Master Vortex. But that can't be. He would have to be on the Council if he's still alive.

Jaina mentally shrugged off the encounter as she continued walking. Every footfall seemed out of place and wrong as she put distance between herself and the one person in the galaxy she most wanted to stay close to. Sighing heavily, she glanced sideways at Xae. "She's here. Tirzah. My daughter. She's in training here at the Temple."

When the other woman remained silent, Jaina continued. "If I get her hopes up, give her promises of family, and then run off without her again to fix the galaxy, hold it in balance, I'm afraid that I'll leave scars that won't mend. I won't be responsible for that kind of opening for the darkness. When I'm ready and able to, I'll come back for her. To see if she's ready."

As they exited the Temple, the sweet scent of the Tython forest seemed to clear Jaina's head even further. The energy of the Force that teemed in this haven of life did what all her meditations could not, and gave her the peace and resolve she had been searching for. Tirzah was here, and wouldn't be safer anywhere else in the galaxy. Her experiences, her knowledge of Andon or Ashley, would be a sensitive subject to be broached only after establishing the trust that should have started with the newborn's first wail. A renewed sense of purpose energized her, excited her, brought the flicker of mischief back to her eyes. Her regret, like Raynuk's, would now be made to serve her.

Pausing a moment to breathe the cool morning air deeply, she grinned at Xae. "I'm out of shape. How do you feel about trail running?"

---

The pair of Jedi arrived several hours later at the spaceport in Ashla, sweaty, exhausted, and glowing with endorphins. Jaina gestured towards the mooring of her beloved freighter, and breathlessly announced, "The Traitor's Hope. My pride and joy since I was eighteen."

She led the way into the cockpit, and after running preflight checks and checking all their stores, Jaina sent them rocketing through Tython's atmosphere to rendezvous with the Eternal Vigilance in orbit. As they broke out into space and the huge colony ship came into view, Jaina whistled low through her teeth. "I've only ever seen it on the ocean floor on Manaan. In space it's much more intimidating.

"I have just one question, Xae." Her Cheshire grin returned as she brought the Hope into a hangar. "Do I get to fly it?"

53bzzl2.png

Although she was indeed excited by the opportunity to see the Eternal Vigilance and meet the infamous wookiee Master Kirlocca -- even potentially be on the Jedi team that met with the Imperial Remnant! -- there was a little bit of a problem from Aelyn's perspective. She looked at Aira. "I really want to go along and do all of this, but my training was supposed to start today," she said. "How do I find a Master? It would be amazing if I could get one and he or she could come along."

There was a part of her that wanted to go along even without a Master, since she'd been invited by Xae and Jaina. It would feel a little odd tagging along while not actually being a member of the Order in any way, but maybe she could pick up some more Force basics along the way from anything the three Knights would be willing to teach her. Surely an opportunity like this would be worth putting off the start of her formal apprenticeship a little bit longer?

B7kIdWt.jpg

Together, the four of us were quickly able to hash out a quick plan. Apparently one of the council members had ordered Xae and Jaina to do something with the Eternal Vigilance, the Jedi city-ship currently in orbit. I agreed to meet up with them on the EV before heading to Chandrila, since it made the most sense for us to stick together if we were all going to meet Master Kirlocca. I was concerned by Xae's sudden quiet when I had brought up the state of the Jedi, and that made me only more interested in getting to the bottom of all of this.

Suddenly, I sensed a rush of emotion from Jaina. She was staring at a young girl who had sat down at an opposite table, a Miraluka it seemed, since she had the pure white eyes of a blind person. I had no idea why the girl affected Jaina so much, but I could tell it was extremely painful for her. Xae sent out waves of calm from the Force, and I simply laid my hand on Jaina's and gave it a squeeze. After a moment, Jaina shrugged off her reaction, but she wasn't fooling any of us--my empathy had always been one of my strongest gifts, and in the short time I had known Aelyn, it seemed it was strong for her too.

But I let it pass; Jaina clearly didn't want to talk about it. She and Xae headed out of the cafeteria. I finished the last of my fruit juice and pushed back my chair to stand up. But then Aelyn was expressing a bit of hesitancy. I considered her for a moment. "Well, doing this wouldn't really delay your training at all. Sometimes hopefuls like yourself go on missions, and the Force teaches them much. I remember Master Kirlocca sent me and some other hopefuls on a mission to Aracoun Morion not long after I arrived. But..." I paused, "I think in this case, it might be simplest if we do what you suggest--that you get a master and she come along with the group."

The Force swirled into a moment of confirmation of my decision. I smiled at Aelyn. "I could teach you, if you'd like."

Aelyn was caught off-guard for a moment, but felt the Force moving through Aira. This was not a decision the Jedi Knight was making just because it was convenient for the tasks they had set before them. Aira had already taught her about the will of the Force and how the Jedi let it guide them, as well as how it had guided her to Chandrila to meet Aelyn. It followed, it seemed, that the Force intended for more between them than a quick ride to Tython and a breakfast.

"I would love that," Aelyn answered cheerfully.

She glanced over Aira's shoulder as Xae and Jaina disappeared from sight. "Aira -- er, Master," she amended. She was pretty sure Jedi apprentices called their Masters that, anyway. "Why do you suppose Jaina reacted to that blind girl that way? She seemed surprised and somewhat relieved to see her, but didn't stop to talk..."

Unfortunately, Aira didn't seem to have any ideas, and they didn't want to keep Jaina and Xae waiting, so they set off after them. Aelyn had to admit she wasn't super excited by the prospect of another long walk right back to Ashla, especially since they'd just arrived the previous evening. But now that Aira had agreed to train her, she supposed the real reason she'd come here was complete. They may be backtracking all the way to Chandrila, but she'd learned so much already since they'd left, and she had no doubt Aira would teach her more before they got back. And now she really wanted to see what that planet felt like in the Force, to see how it was different from Tython. It was kind of like a new way to explore the whole galaxy.

"I want to say goodbye to Apollo before we leave, if we can find him quickly," she said.

The two women hurried out and thankfully were able to find him, saying their farewells with a promise to that their paths would cross again soon, then they started the long trek back to Ashla and the Open Road. While they journeyed, Aelyn continued to practice drawing on the Force, and soon she was able to grasp it and let go of it like breathing out and breathing in, when combined with the good few hours of practice she'd gotten in overnight. For something a little more difficult, Aira challenged her to practice telekinesis on various rocks, branches and logs that they encountered along the path. Aelyn eagerly took the practice head-on, slowly coming to accept that, since it was the Force that was doing the moving and not her own strength, it didn't matter how big the object was. It was a pretty tough thing to wrap her head around, though, and the hours flew by and they arrived at the city before she really found her confidence.

Minutes later they were on their way up to the Eternal Vigilance. Aelyn found the Jedi colony ship, which was larger than a Star Destroyer but clearly not designed for battle, to be a spectacular sight. "What do you know about the Eternal Vigilance, Master?" she asked. "I didn't think the Order had the resources to build something like this. Is it very old?"

B7kIdWt.jpg

When Dahar approached her, Adenna's stomach knotted up in anticipation of her punishment. To her surprise, instead of punishing her, the leader of the Jedi praised her work and promoted her to the rank of Master--a title she wasn't exactly thrilled with but a position that she admired. She wasn't sure if she deserved it, but she would not question her teacher. Even more importantly, he was sounding the call to take action, something she had long wanted. She was tired of seeing evil overrun the Galaxy without checks. It was time for things to change, for things to start going the way of the Light Side.

"I thank you," she whispered as she bowed her head in respect. "I wholeheartedly support your desire to see justice reign and to wage war against evil. I did it on Thalassia, I helped do it on Coruscant against the Sith Temple there. I will give my life to fighting the Sith and their supporters. As for Tobias Vos, he is changed, that much I can see. I will trust your judgment about him. I will also do as you said and finish what I started with the girl Sandy. She knows some, but has much to learn before she can stand on her own."

She bowed once more and retired from the Council Chambers. There were so many things she wanted to do. So many Jedi were here that it felt like the Force was humming. It took a little to analyze what she was feeling and focus on two sources: the thread that took her to Sandy, the other that took her to Tobias. She paused briefly, unsure what path to take, then choose. She sent a small pulse out to Tobias, letting him know she was seeking him and to find her someplace with a little more privacy than the Council Chambers. She had business to finish with him and had a feeling that, between the two of them, they could find some sort of purpose for her and Sandy to take part of.

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

Tirzah looked towards the sound of the unfamiliar voice, and attempted to get a feel for the man within the Force, but it was impossible considering the general cacophony around the temple and the presence of much stronger signatures, like those of the table she kept glancing at.

She could feel the eyes of one of them on her and she quickly turned towards the man in front of her, "Some new members were on the announcements this morning. I know no faces, but I can give you the names. Xae-Lin Ardel, Tobias Vos, and Adenna Alluyen were newly named. Dahar Raikanda has been named Grandmaster of the order, and Master Kirlocca was already on the council...or was. I don't know much about such matters beyond the names. I apologize I couldn't be of greater help."

Hello, Tirzah. Unable to contain her surprise at the semi-familiar voice in her head and the rush of warmth that came with it, Tirzah started and knocked her fork to the floor. Just hold on a little longer. I'm coming back for you.

She wasn't scared, she knew that much. The voice had been a mystery to her since it'd entered her dreams several nights prior, but she'd never sensed malintent.

Instead she chose to focus on the man before her. "If you'd like I can take you to the council chambers."

53bzzl2.png

"...I’m a bit lost. Do you know if I might find any of the council members dining here right now?"

Xae looked up as the others continued discussing their plans and noted the sharply dressed new arrival who looked like he would have fit better in some bustling trade floor or in one of the Corporate Sector's ivory towers of commerce than standing in the middle of a Jedi Temple cafeteria. For several seconds she struggled with the decision to make herself known. It's true that she'd been announced to the council, so whatever game Tobias had been at the previous evening certainly hadn't been the joke she'd thought it had been.

Her attention was drawn back to the group as they'd finished their meals. On her way out she stopped to address the man, "I am the Xae-Lin Ardel this youngling mentioned. Can I help you with something?"

((I didn't want to ignore him completely. ))

psvBwny.jpg

There was a heightened level of activity and, almost, excitement for Tares in the cafeteria; at least compared to the boardroom. He had to fight to keep his present small; to keep the flood of sense and experience at bay. People continued to pass by as he stood at the edge of the table. The group of Jedi nearby began to depart as Tares had approached. One of the women passed by him. The encounter didn't register in his mind at first since two or three other Jedi slipped by in rapid succession afterward. However, a brief feeling caught took him by small surprise. There had been something familiar about the woman.

Deciding to analyze the feeling later, he refocused his attention on the young girl.

She explained the new announcements of council members. As she listed off the names, Tares searched his active memory for recall. Familiarity with names and faces was proving difficult. Maybe Atlas was right: the Order really has changed.

Some names caught his attention through association or the grapevine he had last left, but nothing was ringing the golden bell, save for Master Kirlocca. Wherever there was a Jedi Council, there would be a Master Kirlocca.

The sound of metal knocking on the floor took Tares from his thoughts. Looking around, he noticed the fork, then the girl. There was a brief hint of energetic surprise before she refocused on Tares, "If you'd like, I can take you to the council chambers."

Before he had formulated his response, a new voice pierced the conversation from Tares's side, "I am the Xae-Lin Ardel this youngling mentioned. Can I help you with something?"

Tares made a slight pivot to encompass the new arrival into his view. "The old sense of Jedi etiquette kicked in and Tares gave a slight bow towards Xae, "Ah, Master Jedi." Looking back towards Tirzah, Tares flashed a smile and small bow of gratitude, "Your help was more than beneficial. Thank you."

He turned his attention back to Xae and took a moment to consider his response. Names and faces were all a blurred mix at this point, so he didn't even try to find any associations in his memory. "Master Jedi Xae, I do apologize for the intrusion. My name is Tares. I'm a representative from Solaris Enterprises. My company has some potential dealings with the Imperial Remnant, and I'm hoping to get some consul from the one organization that would have the most honest feedback on the political situation." He explained.

Tares finally made a mental connection to Xae: she had been with the group of Jedi just departing in unison. "However, this is a matter that can wait as I'm sure a council member such as yourself is already engaged with more important matters...."

tares.jpg

"Actually," Xae began, shifting slightly at the new term of address, "It seems the Force is with you. A group of us were just making preparations to depart to meet up with Master Kirlocca to discuss this exact issue. You're welcome to join us, if you'd like."

She turned and gave a warm glance to Tirzah, echoing the sentiment in the Force.

"If you'll both excuse me." She bowed and exited the cafeteria.

psvBwny.jpg

In the few minutes he had been in the cafeteria, Tares had gone from seeking out a starting point to being invited on a Jedi "sanctioned" road trip. Xae seemed to be the efficient type: get things done now instead of later. He needed someone like her on his board.

Tares acknowledged Xae's offer and departure without words. There, standing in the same spot at the end of Tirzah's table, he briefly looked around the room. The Jedi had changed in many ways, and yet, remained the same in even more. He flashed a brief smile at Tirzah and then back tracked out of the cafeteria.

On his way back to the Sogno, he took out his comm link, "Atlas, we have a change of plan."

"Excellent, shall I prepare the ship for departure or put the parking brake on?" The droid on the other end replied.

Tares continued to wonder about the droid's ironic subroutines, "The former. We're going with some Jedi to meet an old friend."

"So someone did recognize you?"

"Not quite," He replied, "But the usual Jedi hospitality is still alive and well."

The trek back to his ship seemed quicker than before. By the time he arrived, Atlas had already gone through the steps of initializing the engines and requesting departure clearance. "What destination should I put in?" The droid asked as Tares ascended the landing ramp.

"I'm not quite sure. Master Xae never said." Tares remarked while heading to the cockpit, "Take us into orbit and scan for any unusual ship formations."

The ascend was uneventful. By the time the Sogno had reached orbit, Atlas had completed her initial scan. "No signs of any formation traffic. I am detecting the presence of a large ship in orbit, however."

A holographic image appeared before Tares in the cockpit. The image revealed the form of a ship he hadn't seen in quite a long time, "The Eternal Vigilance... what the hell is that doing here?" He remarked to himself.

"Information related to the ship's current status is unavailable."

Tares ignored the droid for a moment. The EV had long served as a Jedi refugee for training. In many ways, it was meant as a backup for the Order's primary temple at any given time. The fact that it was in orbit above the very location the Jedi were trying to keep secret was a rather strange one. Something tells me they won't want to keep that in orbit for long. He thought to himself.

As he stood looking at the image, he decided to expand his presence in the Force once more. He reached out and touched the general vicinity of the massive Jedi ship. Several sensations hit him at once: all resonated in unison and familiar. "Let's head and dock with that ship. I think that's their ride."

The droid floated into the cockpit and hovered at Tares's side, "Understood. Coordinates for the giant space bus have been loaded into the autopilot."

The engines of the Sogno quickly roared to life and headed for the Eternal Vigilance....

tares.jpg

The young girl smiled, but squirmed a bit at the unexpected attention. There was something in the way the Jedi Master had reached out to her as she'd extended the invitation to the business man that made her pause.

As the others left, a plan began to form in her mind and she was surprised by the spontaneous impulse that over-took her. Returning to her bunk, she slipped a few changes of clothes into a bag and took a second to check herself.

She couldn't explain the pull she felt, but knew it to be the guidance of the Force. As she jogged back down the hallway, looking every bit as though she were late for her lessons, she wondered if Master Ronta would be displeased with her. Then again, hadn't he continued to remind her to be mindful of the living Force and present?

The voice had said to wait. Screw that. Something spurred her to make the trek from the temple to Ashla and slip inside one of the crates destined, she hoped, for the glowing Force-presence above.

53bzzl2.png