Hay Guys, It's Totally Safe

ObliviousKnight

Based on a true story

It's that time of the night again.

So here I am, sitting cross-legged on the blue-green loveseat, with my biochemistry book””a bloody huge white elephant””occupying the opposite seat, with the class notes crammed into the crease between the pages. I've got a bowl full of Corn Flakes on the coffee table next to the arm of the chair. Hey, I usually feel the urge to eat something when I'm studying, and at least I'm not gorging on pizza or ice cream, or Cheetos (ugh, so disgusting), or the other thousand-and-one snack foods that college students stuff their faces with. The air smells vaguely like the ink from a cheap pen, and considering how close my face is to the pages, I could be enjoying a ravishing make-out session with the book.

Ugh. Now that's sad. My love life is so empty, I've started to get frisky with my books?

Somewhere from my roommate's room, I hear the scramble of paws. Roughly a second later, I see a fat, gray-black-white-furred four-legged creature scurry out of his room, my roommate's tabby cat Ivan. He glances at me for a second, realizing that, oh God, HE CAN'T GET AWAY FROM ALL THE PEOPLE IN THIS APARTMENT! Then I reach for a handful of cereal, the cute little guy thinks that he's in danger of imminent attack. Ivan's reaction is predictable: his tail bushes out until it resembles a very furry hedge, his back arcs into a grey-black hill, his pupils widen, and he does a few awkward steps to his side before the situation turns into a complete rout and he goes running behind the vertical blinders across the patio's window. It's really not a good hiding spot.

Yup. It's that time of the night again.

I don't know how that cat manages it, scheduled almost like clockwork. My roommate is from an upper-middle class family, so maybe Crazy, Crazy Ivan is just used to being able to prowl around a great big house and pounce on unsuspecting heads from staircases. Maybe it's an energy build-up problem. Maybe he's a regular catnip user””I know that James has a few toys filled with catnip, so it's entirely possible that eight o'clock is simply the cat's stoner time.

Ah, the cat is not only a whore for belly rubs, but a pothead?

This routine goes on for a while””cat runs in, completely freaks out at my slightest motion, and retreats. Occasionally I get distracted and tease the cat a bit, pretending to stalk him from behind the cushions of the gigantic loveseat. Eventually, I get bored with it. Besides, I really want to study this biochemistry material in advance, for a change of pace. I really don't want to end up staying up all night for an entire week to memorize this stuff.

However, that doesn't stop me from getting the urge to play a mean joke on the lunatic feline. The next time Ivan scampers out from James' room, he apparently decides that the back of the loveseat is a really great position from which to ambush some nonexistent prey. After not hearing any motion from the crazy cat for some time, I quietly peek over the edge of the loveseat and see that the cat is still hunched over with a posture of utmost attention, his black-grey tail wagging to and fro every few seconds.

I grin and take a deep breath.

”œIT'S A TRAP!!”

drayyy.png

*rolls on the floor laughing*

LOL!! That's great! Anyone who has a cat, like me, can sympathize.

Although for my cat, his "freak-out time" is 7 or 8 PM. He'll start by getting this crazy look in his eye, then he'll dash all the way upstairs, meow really loud for a minute, then dash all the way down to the basement. Repeat as many times as he feels like it.

Excellently written, and I love the Star Wars touch, naturally. That's great. I absolutely loved it.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

• 1 month later...