The writing process

What do you enjoy the most, or find most difficult? Landing that initial premise? Outlining or digging deeper to find the key strokes of plot, character, theme, etc.? Writing and stylizing the actual text?

Just curious how you guys operate, what part of the process you like most, and where you may tend to experience the most hang-ups.

couldntbeseen.png

I enjoy the initial process of an idea hitting you, because that's the period I'm most active. I'll bang out 30-40,000 words over a couple of weeks, but there's that inevitable period of writing block and then I forget about the whole thing...

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

The "bing" moments. When the characters grab you and go THIS IS HOW IT WILL BE. When you get hit with just KNOWING what'll happen next. The overwhelming sense of 'suddenly the whole story I wrote makes sense after working on it for six years... everything has connected, all those questions I had make sense now!'

I'm a seat of the pants writer and I dive in. Sometimes my stories flop (hence many unfinished stories) and sometimes, just sometimes... things click. And then I fly.

Flying is amazing.

I honestly have a hell of a time starting, and even worse, a hell of a time editing. I hate going back to tweak it after I've had the initial rush of figuring it all out and the glow is gone. And even worse, rewriting. Urgh. I'm TRYING to rewrite a story now... horrible.

I prefer shaping other people's text.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I love when I'm writing and it's just flowing out so easily. Sometimes I write, and it's just not coming out on the page like I see it in my head, and that is really frustrating. But other times it just flows out so easily that it's a breeze. That is when I really love writing. Those times, and when I'm just so excited about the characters and what is going on.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

For me writing is usually a spark of inspiration and then it flows. Sometimes I have an idea but that isn't often usually its just random lines stuck in my head and I just go with them. That's why most of what I write is poetry. I will get a few lines stuck in my head and I will just write them down and see where they take me.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit
One flash of my perfect chest and he'll be knocked out in a happytime daydream.

• 2 weeks later...

I love introducing pivotal characters. Those who have read my work have probably realised that I put a lot of thought into the characters. And finding new and interesting ways to bring them in is what I find fun.

Writing is a rush. When it just flows so easily and every word falls into the right place, I love that feeling.

Myth2010.jpg

But I'm out of cheesecake.

Taking over JNet, 1 thread at a time.

JNet Royalty

Everyone has their own word for what I call the "bing" but it seems to me that that's what everyone writes for. The rush, the "it all clicked together", the flow, the characters doing it for you...

We write to have writing happen to us.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I honestly love the actual nitty-gritty process. The hammering out, the getting words on paper (or word document or something of the like), the putting together of sentences and paragraphs and even just treating narrative as poetry in the meticulousness of its construction.

A lot of times I will have really delusional or revolutionary plot ideas or even just character development ideas in my head, and I get hung up on how to execute them. It's hard to get them to where I want them in a way that is believable, interesting, and impacting. This includes the smaller plot details that don't have a whole lot of relevance to the grand scheme of things, but maybe should...

I'm learning a lot.

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...