Fullmetal Alchemist - AU - NSW

Myth Hunter

yeah it was on purpose, I didn't feel the need to go through them telling the General everything that we have already just read. And it's not really in character for the Elrics. They are young and rash, they will go off to do their own thing.

And it was at 3am when I wrote it.

Myth2010.jpg

But I'm out of cheesecake.

Taking over JNet, 1 thread at a time.

JNet Royalty

"You stupid gearhead, can't you control this thing?!!!"

"Winrey, I'm starting to feel pretty sick here."

"This isn't even top speed, quit complaining you two."

Racing across burning sand in the middle of a strange desert, the Elric brothers held on to what they could as the vehicle they were in rattled and clanged at incredible speeds. And the insanity at the wheel of this thing was their childhood friend, Winrey Rockbell. She was a mechanic, she created and fitted artificial limbs known as automail. And when Edward lost his right arm and left leg as a child she was the one who fitted him with his mechanical ones which had then given him the military code-name "Fullmetal".

The brothers had asked her for her help and and she was all too eager to do so, especially once they had told her what they needed.

A desert vehicle.

Although she would admit, this particular vehicle that she had shambled together wasn't her best work, it still did the job.

They were racing through the desert with ease, they would find the middle no problems...

... And if Ed hadn't of lost the map, they would have probably found it by now. Instead, they had been racing aimlessly through the sand trying to find a mythical structure at the centre. But so far, all that they had found was sand.

Ed looked out across the scene. It was indeed a strange place. There was an odd feeling to the air.

"This is definitely the place. I can feel it. It just feels... unnatural."

Alphonse took a careful peek over the lip of the carriage. Even though he was just a soul bonded to a suit of armour, this trip was still making him feel queasy.

"There is nothing out here." He said to Ed. "Not even any desert plants. No desert animals. Nothing is living out here."

Ed smiled back at him, a knowing smile. "That's why this is the place. It has to be."

Suddenly, Winrey pulled the vehicle to a stop. Ed and Al were violently thrown to the floor.

"WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!!!" Ed protested loudly. "YOU DON'T JUST STOP LIKE THAT!!!"

"WELL IF YOU HAD BEEN WATCHING FOR WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR YOU MIGHT AHVE SEEN IT COMING!!!" Winrey yelled back.

Ed was about to shout back a protest when her words sunk in.

In his momentary pause, Winrey pointed into the distance at a tall structure standing out form the sandy desert. A smirk fell across her face.

"Not bad for a gearhead with no map." She teased him.

"Yeah," Ed said reluctantly. "I guess."

Al sat up and looked out at the distant building. "We're nearly there? Oh good! We can walk from here, right?"

"Hmmph. I'm not letting my best customers walk all that way in the middle of a desert." Winrey kicked the motor into gear again and they were once again off at blinding speeds. The brothers groaned as they fearfully held on for their lives.

It was a lot cooler in the shadow of the building. But with no breeze, it was still very hot and dry.

"Brother, please hurry. It might be cooler inside." Alphonse and Winrey were sitting together, exhausted, while Edward made a doorway into the inpenetrable fortress.

"Cooler air would be nice." Winrey mumbled. The heat was now starting to take a toll on her.

Edward looked at the wall before him and clapped his hands together. He needed no transmutation circle and that came in handy at times liek this. Power flowed from his hands and transformed the wall into an ornate doorway. Heavy rock doors swung opne before the three of them and cool air flowed out into the hot dry desert.

With a sudden burst of energy Winrey stodd up and ran to the door. "Oh it's so nice in there."

"And dark." Alphonse added.

"And dangerous." Ed said with an edge to his voice. "Winrey, this could get out of hand. I don't want you coming inside."

"Now wait a minute!!!" She said turning on Ed. "You asked me to help you, and I'm here to help you. I'm staying with you."

Ed growled. "I asked you to get us something to get us out here, I didn't specifically expect oyu to come with us. And I don't want you in there, in danger. You should take your junk back home."

And with that, Ed clapped his hands together and planted them on the ground. The sand beneath Winrey's feet solidified and became a platform that transported her back to her vehicle. Dumping her, undignified, into the back of it.

Ed and Al walked through the doors as Winrey's screamed threats and insults reached their ears.

Feeling their way in the dark, Edward and Alphonse tried to make sense of this place. So far they hadn't come across anyone. There was no light and no sound, except for their own footsteps. It was a stark contrast to the journey they took to get there. Everything here seemed more still.

"Brother?" Al finally ventured. "What are we doing here?"

"We're looking for the woman who can help us, like Rykool said."

"Yes but... how are we going to do that? We don't even know where she is. We don't even know where we are."

"I know. Maybe we can take a shortcut."

In the side of the wall Ed made another doorway. Beyond that they found a dimly lit room. There were only a few furnishings that they could see. A desk, a couple of chairs, a small burning candle that gave of the small amount of light, and another door.

Finally, now we're getting somewhere. Ed thought to himself.

Carefully he made his way over to the doorway and opened it enough to see into the dark corridor beyond.

Again, no light, no sound.

Behind Ed, Al had picked up the waning candle and held it out in front of him. Even with the smallest of light it made a difference to the darkness. They crept into the new corridor and began walking down it.

The eeriness of the place was starting to unsettle the brothers. Ed was glad for the comfort that Al's large body of armour gave him walking at his back.

... more later

Edited by Guest

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

haha, I remember thinking to myself H.E.L.M.E.T. but for some reason I kept throwing in a U.

Yeah, I can't imagine how you've developed such a tendency for that while always spelling words like colour and flavour.

Well, I just read everything, Myth. It's a fun, fast-paced story.

For whatever reason, this line amused me:

Al followed close behind him, armoured feet clanging on the pathway.

It's a great visual.

I like this line a lot foo:

He also taught us that State Alchemists are the sludge of this world.

There are a lot of characters to introduce, some may only have the occasional appearance, But I'm trying to get them in slowly enough so that it doens't get too confusing as to who was who again. Especially when it comes to the lieutenants. As well as Rica Hawkeye, there's 4 more blokes. So I'm trying to ease them in slowly

I can relate to that. In my big SW story, I have a lot of characters too, and it's a delicate process, trying to get them all in. I think you're doing fine The extra explanation you've offered OOC, so to speak, has been helpful.

And you left me wanting more. Exploring eerie places and venturing down dark corridors? Sign me up. That always makes for exciting reading. Well, Myth, you've done it. You've got me interested. So, now here I am, reading and waiting. Consider me a regular for this story now.

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Thanks LAP. I'm glad I can hook you in.

And just for you, More!!!

The eeriness of the place was starting to unsettle the brothers. Ed was glad for the comfort that Al's large body of armour gave him walking at his back.

Shadows jumped from shallow crevices, small nothings skittered silently across the floor. The slightest creak of metal or armour sounded deafening in the narrow space.

"Brother," Al's shaky voice whispered. "Im glad we didn't bring Winrey in."

"Yeah, me too. She'd be really worried by now." Ed's equally shaky voice replied.

Further down, the corridor ended in a large set of double doors. There was nowhere else to go for the brothers, except back down the corridor.

With one wordless glance at each other, they heaved on the door.

hehehe, I'm evil.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

The interaction between the brothers and Winrey was amusing, and stays true to what I know of the brothers' characters. Willing to do whatever they have to, but trying to keep other people out of danger.

The one thing that I've been picking up through each update that I like is how you have little, subtle lines that help to reinforce the characters. For example:

... And if Ed hadn't of lost the map, they would have probably found it by now. Instead, they had been racing aimlessly through the sand trying to find a mythical structure at the centre. But so far, all that they had found was sand.

Even though he was just a soul bonded to a suit of armour, this trip was still making him feel queasy.

The brothers groaned as they fearfully held on for their lives.
mathis-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So sorry my dearest readers. Things have been absolutely hectic lately. I'll try to get something posted today though for you...

... Seeing as I was so cruel in leaving you hanging like that.

RECAP!!!!

Ed and Al have found the fortress hidden in the middle of an unnatural desert and have entered it only to find that it is all darkness and creepiness. But they have found a door and are now opening it...

DUMDUM DUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!

It was the dim glint of metal flying through the air that gave Ed the warning. He instinctively threw his right arm in front of him and heard the metallic thud of metal penetrating metal. He looked at his arm, the sharp triangular object had embedded itself into his automail.

Winry was not going to be happy when she sees that sticking out of her precious masterpiece.

But Ed could not think of Winry now, the indistinct shadows on the walls were begnning to move. A soft humming had started and was slowly getting louder and stronger.

The brothers stood back to back and edged towards the centre of the room, ready for any more attacks.

The shadows got closer and now could be seen to be just men in dark cloaks. They encircled the Elrics, standing shoulder to shoulder, allowing no escape. Somehow, their lack of action scared Edward more.

At his back, Ed could feel Al quivering. His armour body was rattling with the humming.

"Brother," His voice sounded shaken. "What's happening to me? I can't stop it."

"It's their humming. I don't know how they're doing it, but I can feel it in my automail limbs as well."

Two cloaked figures stepped forward from the circle, their palms stretched out towards Ed and Al. And as the humming reached new levels, runic circles appeared in red on their palms.

Ed tried to get a closer look, but he could not focus his eyes for long enough. His whole body was beginning to get affected, the noise was drowning them, breathing began to get difficult.

"Alphonse!"

"Brother!"

The two men with the circles bent down to the ground and placed their palms on the darkened stone floor.

"Al, jump for it!" Ed shouted.

Ed jumped as far as he could, but his body felt heavier than normal. His muscles felt weak and his jump barely made it far enough.

He fell to the ground and held onto the stones as the floor beneath his feet gave way. Ed found himself dangling over a great hole in the floor. Darkness threatened to to swallow him feet first.

But they had underestimated him. He was a State Alchemist, the youngest State Alchemist in all of Amestris. He had been through the fires of hell, this to him was a walk in the park... albeit on a cold windy day.

With every effort he could muster, Edward dragged himself back onto solid ground.

And then the humming stopped. The weight lifted from the room and Ed could breathe again.

"Al, NOW!"

Ed jumped up and clapped his hands together, his body forming the circle needed for alchemy. He transmusted his automail arm into his weapon of choice, a short sword penetrating from his arm. He spun around looking for Alphonse...

... but could not find his brother.

"Al? ALPHONSE!!!"

Edward lunged at the nearest of the shadowy figures, but like Rykool, they disappeared into nothingness. And the light went with them leaving Ed completely alone in the dark.

He fell to his knees and punched the floor.

"Alphonse. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. This should never have happened. It's my fault. I just wanted to get your body back. I just wanted everything to go back the way they should be.

This isn't fair.

THIS ISN'T FAIR!!!! ALPHONSE!!!!!"

For a while, Edward lay there. Last time he lost his little brother he had desperately fused Al's soul with a suit of armour, but now... with no idea where either of them were, and with nothing around him, he felt helpless.

"NO!!!"

Ed shouted suddenly. "You are alive. I know you are, and you're here somehwere. I'll destroy this whole place to find him!!"

He felt around in the dark till he found a wall. And with a clap of his hands, he burst it into rubble. Walking through the newly made hole, he felt for a new wall, and continued his way through the building.

General Mustang sat in the car, Liuetenant Havoc at the wheel, Lieutenant Hawkeye sitting opposite him and next to her, Winry Rockbell.

"You've grown up so much, Winry. It's been years since I've seen you." Riza said warmly.

Winry smiled. "It has been years. You're hair has grown longer."

"Yes," Hawkeye laughed. "I guess I've let it go a bit. How is your Grandmother?"

"She's doing well. Enjoying the peace and quiet I guess, for now."

"With you and the Elric brothers out of the house it must be quiet."

Winry shrugged. "There's still people around who need automail maintenance. So it's not totally quiet."

"Well I'm sure she worries about the three of you when she can't keep an eye on you all herself."

"Miss Rockbell." Mustang interrupted. "Is that the building?"

Out of the window the tall structure loomed in the fading light.

"Yes." Winry replied. "It's the only place out here that isn't sand."

The General nodded to Havoc via the rear view mirror. "Lieutenant, make your way over there."

"Yes, Sir."

The car arced around, angling towards the building. Behind them, two trucks filled with soldiers followed, and being pulled along behind the convoy was Winry's vehicle.

As the sun finally set beyond the horizon, General Mustang faced the outer walls of the strange building. He tapped it with his knuckles experimentally.

A few metres down from where he stood, the wall exploded.

Roy looked at his own knuckles, he looked up and found Havoc stifling a laugh. Hawkeye simply raised an eyebrow, then pulled out her gun and aimed it at the hole in the wall. Following her lead, the soldiers did the same. As the dust settled they could see a figure stumbling over the rubble.

Even in this darkness, Mustang could still make out the outline of a short kid through the dust.

Fullmetal.

"Stand down." He ordered his troops.

Recognising a familiar voice, Edward stepped forward. He stood before Mustang visibly preparing himself for a much expected reprimand.

But Roy saw something else.

Alphonse was missing. The look on Ed's face was of someone who had lost everything. The younger brother was all this boy had. They had burnt their family home down, their mother dead, their father missing. And now...

"Lieutenant Havoc. Get camp set up. We can't do much now. We'll start in the morning when we have some light."

"Unload the trucks!" Havoc ordered. "We want to be settled before it gets too cold out here."

Mustang turned to Edward. "Tell me everything." His voice was sharp and commanding, but it held no accusation, no anger.

"Edward?" A soft voice whispered.

Winry had come up to them and was staring at Ed. Her large blue eyes sparkled with tears.

Ed's mouth hardened and he turned his face away from her. "This is military business, Winry. You don't need to be here."

Riza put her arm around Winry and led her away to a tent that was nearly already up.

"Nice going, Fullmetal. That's the first thing you say? That young lady has been worried sick about you."

"It's not like I asked her to come out here."

"No. You didn't have to ask." Mustang sighed and sat down with his back against the building. "So... debriefing. What happened?"

"Al, jump for it!" Ed shouted.

Al tried to jump. But his body was trembling too much to get a strong enough leap into the air. The humming made his armour rattle and become disjointed in places. He felt like he was literally falling to pieces.

Suddenly, a transmutation circle appeared on the ground at his feet and the floor fell away from beneath his feet.

Al slid down a steep pathway that took him far away from the room above him. He turned his head back to see where Ed was.

But he was falling away too fast to make out any distinct shapes.

"BROTHER!!!" He tried shouting.

But there was no response. The light disappeared and the humming faded away. Alphonse was alone, sliding deep into the heart of this strange place in complete darkness.

At some point, he reached the bottom. He only knew this because he found himself tumbling along a rocky floor in a cavernous dungeon. There were flaming torches stuck to the walls, heavy looking doors set deep into the solid earth walls. Muffled screams and heavy metal clangings slowly reached his ears.

Behind him, two burly men grabbed Al by his arms and dragged him off.

"Wait. No! Stop! Where am I, where are you taking me?"

But neither one seemed to hear him.

They dumped him in a damp cell. Al huddled against a wall feeling alone and miserable.

"Brother." He whispered.

"Oh look, they've given me a suit of armour for company."

Al froze. He wasn't aware that anyone else was in the dungeon. As his eyes adjusted to the dungeon light, he carefully looked around. There was him, the door, 4 walls, and a mess in the corner.

The mess... it looked horrid. Oozing and bleeding, pustules and fungi. It looked like the worst diseases of the world in one corner. And somehow, it had gained sentience.

"You look like you've lost something, my Tinman. Those eyes are so sad."

Alphonse couldn't be certain, but he thought he may have glimpsed an eye peering out at him. Was that someone under there?

"I've lost everything. My whole life I've been here. Well, for as long as I can remember. It's nice to have new company. Even if you are just a shell. Beats talking to the ceiling. He never answers me. All high and mighty."

The voice was soft and amused by their own jokes. Clearly, the time spent in these dungeons had sent this person insane.

Al was torn between starting a conversation to keep them company, and remaining silent, scared that should one of the imaginary friends starts talking back it may send them over the edge.

Maybe he should just ease them into that scenario. In any case... should Edward rescue him, he may not need to worry about such things.

A blinding red light lit up the cell. Alphonse looked on as a red transmutation circle appeared out of nowhere beneath the disgusting mess. It was the same one that Rykool had been using shortly before his death. A healing circle?

The diseases seemed to contract and disappear, and Al saw a woman lying on the floor. Her body getting cut and healing over almost instantly as he sat there watching. She screamed in pain, her body writhed as she fought in an unseen battle.

This was strange alchemy.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

• 2 weeks later...

Well when this site picks up again, hopefully you'll all appreciate all these updates.

Been busy lately but I am once again BAW.

Let's see how long it lasts...

Finally the light faded away, as did the screams.

Lying on the floor was an old woman. Her long hair wispy white, her pale skin wrinkled and scarred, her skinny frame looked like it could barely hold her upright. But her eyes were bright and blue. They were the only part of her that told Alphonse she was alive.

"Look," she said with a weak smile. "All better again."

For an instant Al felt relieved that she was no longer diseased. But as he watched, spots began forming on her skin, welts appeared amongst the spreading rashes.

Al's heart sank for this woman. There was nothing he could do for her. Well then, while he was down here with her, he may as well make the most of it.

In a pile out of reach of the woman were some blankets and sheets for bedding. Alphonse stood up and gathered a few of the thicker ones. Then very gently, he wrapped the woman up in them and cradled her in his arms. She was very light, and very weak. She didn't complain at all about it. She just simply smiled at him in thanks. Her last words as she fell asleep were barely a whisper.

" I must have really overdone it that last time. Truth is a suit of armour, taking me from this world."

Beneath the blankets, the diseaes once again took hold of her body. But Alphonse remained still, his metal body could not smell the odour. And he certainly had no worries about catching any of them.

Ok this bit has bene rushed, sorry. But it's taken me about 8 days to get something written. Everytime I start I get interrupted. And even today... I have 5 mins till knockoff. But I just wanted to finish this scene and move on.

More later peeps.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

• 2 weeks later...

Attempt Number 5

In the shadows of the morning sun, Lieutenant Jean Havoc sat with his back against one of the sturdy support poles of one of the tents. His trademark cigarette hanging casually from his mouth, a trail of smoke gently dispersing in the soft breeze. He had been up all night helping to watch over the camp and now he was looking forward to a quick nap before General Mustang called them all into action again.

He was slowly drifting off when Edward found him.

"Hey, buddy. How'd you sleep?" He said drowsily.

Ed sat down next to him, his face was drawn and ragged. Havoc knew the answer to his question before Ed even began to speak.

"I don't think I slept at all. Everytime I closed my eyes I tried to find a way to save Al, but I couldn't. Every time his slipped away from me."

"Don't worry yourself too much. The General will find a way. If there is any chance Alphonse is still in there, we'll find him."

Ed mumbled an unconvinced "Yeah."

Havoc laughed. "Cheer up, Ed. Al's armour can handle anything. And you still got your Miss Rockbell here."

"MY Miss Rockbell??? What do you mean by that??? I've told you before, Winry's not my girlfriend!!! She's a childhood friend, she's my automail mechanic. There is nothing between us!!! GOT IT!!!"

"Fullmetal!" Mustang's sharp voice barked. "Good to see you motivated again. Now, with me."

Ed looked between Mustang and Havoc.

Havoc chuckled. "Nice one."

Ed slumped after Mustang's measured steps knowing he'd just been played.

Jean had to hand it to Mustang, he knew how to get the boy riled up. Well I suppose, he thought to himself. It takes one to know one. Peas in a pod those two.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

Mustang stood before the solid structure with an intense gaze.

Ed walked up and stood next to him while behind them the rest of the men formed their ranks.

"The door you transmuted has gone, Fullmetal. We need to make a new one."

"That's no problem, General. I can create a new one."

Ed went to clap his hands, but found himself stopped by Mustang's gloved hand.

((O.O.S. OMG I just realised I haven't explained Roy Mustang's alchemy yet. LOL)

Roy's gloves were made of a special weave that when rubbed hard enough together created a spark, all he then had to do was control the atoms in the atmosphere and...

BOOM!!!

Which was why he was known as The Flame Alchemist, the Hero of Ishbal.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

• 2 months later...

Alphonse braced himself as another explosion rocked the walls of the cell. He held his armoured body over the frail woman, who was yet to wake up.

All around them, rubble from the ceiling began to fall. First small pebble sized pieces but as another explosion shook the building, larger chunks of rock started to crash into the floor.

Al looked up and saw a precarious slab of rock about to fall, directly down on top of him. He didn't know if he had enough strength within him to hold off the weight of the rock. He had to think quick in order to save him AND the old woman.

With one eye on the ceiling he quickly began working on a plan.

"ALPHOOOOONNNNSE!!!"

Ed yelled in between Mustang's fiery bursts.

They were working their way through the building, destroying walls and floors trying to find his brother. So far, however, there was no sign of him and Ed was beginning to get more worked up and worried about it.

crackBOOM!

Another explosion.

More rooms opened up before them but they appeared to all be empty. The walls all made from Earth. With the light streaming in from the hole they had created behind them, this place didn't seem as scary as it did before.

"Look out! The ceiling's collapsing!!!"

A young soldier pointed above their heads, his face frozen in terror. The thought that they would all be buried in here could clearly be seen.

Edward clapped his hands together and touched the wall next to him.

With his alchemy, he changed the material of the ceiling into something more solid. The cracks reformed into a smooth surface and stabilised.

"Fullmetal, keep an eye on that won't you. I need to be back in the City before tomorrow. I don't want to be digging out of here before a date."

"Nice to see you thinking of your men, General." Ed remarked slyly.

Hawkeye sighed audibly. "Never changes."

"Feel the love." Mumbled Havoc.

Mustang turned to the nearest wall and once more, snapped his fingers.

Shielding his head from the exploding debris, Ed hoped they would find Al soon. If only to get out of here away from the General.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

• 1 month later...

(eyes the calendar) I think this calls for a few new updates! No comments, even. That's tragic, really. I admire you for sticking it through. I went and gave the whole thing a readthrough right now and I'm hoping to see more soon.

I like how even though it's fast paced you sneak in little bits of description that add color to the world and to the characters. Things like "You stupid gearhead!" even in a very dialogue-driven scene definitely add to the world, and you sneak in excellent words here in there to build a great picture.

It's all very dramatic.

UPPED.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Crap, where was I up to?

(quick readthrough)

Nope... still lost.

hehehe, J/K

Alphonse stood in a corner as a final barrage of dirt and rock fell down into the cell.

He had tried climbing over the mess to remain on top, but the dirt was constantly shifting and settling and he had somehow trapped his leg under a large heavy chunk of ceiling. And now the room was filling quickly.

All that was visible above the debris was his armour head.

"Brother." he whimpered.

"ALPHONSE!"

Al froze for a moment, unsure that he had heard correctly.

"Brother?" He called tentatively.

"ALPHONSE!"

No doubt about it, that was Ed's voice. "BROTHER!!!"

In the new gaping hole in the ceiling, a small blonde headed face appeared. "ALPHONSE! Are you okay? Can you move?"

"Brother, I'm stuck. My leg is caught."

"Don't worry Al, we'll get you out shortly."

"OK." Alphonse replied. What?... We?

Transmutation sparks flew along the wall opposite where Al was stuck, and slowly, a set of large thick stairs appeared. Edward came running down them only barely able to stop at the bottom.

Al tried to wriggle his arms free and achieved in freeing... his left elbow.

Ed stepped carefully onto the dirt and rubble. The moment he leant onto his first foot the ground began to shift beneath his weight and he fell backwards onto the stairs.

BUSY BUSY BUSY

and now it's home time.

More later if you all promise to keep reading.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

So... I have to keep writing so that they aren't just left in this predicament?

*sigh*

it's all work work work on this site.

Descending the stairs in all his confidence came Mustang.

"Watch it, Fullmetal. That has all just fallen from the explosions. It's not solid flooring."

Ed gritted his teeth. "Thanks for the warning."

"Can you transmute some of it into a path? We need to get Al out."

"Right on it."

A minute later, several of Mustang's men stood on a platform in front of Alphonse, they had managed to dig his arms free so that he could balance easily as he came free.

Ed, kneeling at the edge of the platform, was about ready for his next transmustation.

"OK, on three. One. Two. THREE!"

The flooring hidden beneath Al's feet hardened and began to move upwards, pushing Al out of the debris. The soldiers caught him as he stumbled forward onto the platform. Finally, his leg came free and in one collective effort they had him standing on his own legs once more.

Emerging from the strange building, the General began barking orders to pack up what was left of their camp and be ready to head out.

"Do you need a mechanic to see to your armour, Alphonse?" Mustang asked once his orders were underway. "Miss Rockbell is still here."

"Oh no, no." Al said, his hands waving in front of him, "But... is there... I mean, did you... I have a - "

Sitting next to Al, Ed groaned. "What is it this time? Another cat? Another dog? A desert pig? What have you hidden in your armour this time?"

"It's nothing like that, brother. I... there was no other way. And I think, well..."

Alphonse undid the straps to his chest plate and opened up his armour.

Inside his empty shell was a swathe of blankets, stained with blood and puss. The smell was enough to send Roy and Ed back several steps.

"What is that?" The General asked gently.

"Not what." Al explained. "Who. And she's really sick. But she knows how to use that strange alchemy. I think she might be the one we were told about. The one we had to find. I think this is her. I had to protect her form the falling ceiling, so I... put her in here. PLEASE GENERAL! We have to help her!"

"Okay, okay. We'll take her to Central to get looked at. You can continue keeping her safe for now. Just... keep the cover on."

"Yes sir."

Back in Central, the Elric brothers finally made it back to their hotel room. They had spent the afternoon and most of the night waiting in the hospital for word on the old lady. But so far, the doctors could not say what ailed her, nor what could be done to help her. Miserable and tired, Ed opened the door and stepped inside.

*THUMP*

A pillow hit him square in the face.

"Where have you BEEN!"

Winry stood next to one of the beds, her hands on her hips and a glare that froze the boys in their tracks.

"Military business. Why are you still here?"

"Waiting for you. You drag me all the way out into the desert. Then you send me flying, then you go missing, then the State Miliatry shows up, then Al goes missing, then you all head into that strange building and then Al comes out and he has a sick old lady with him. And you barely said a word on the trip back. YOU HAD ME WORRIED SICK!!!"

"Winry," Al said gently. "We're fine. Really. It's just the case we're on is very... strange. We can't explain it to you because we can't explain it to ourselves."

"Even then, I wouldn't be sure I'd tell it to you. This isn't your business."

Despite the balmy night, Ed and Al felt a chill run through them as Winry wordlessly grabbed her bag and started walking out the door.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm obviously not needed here. I was going to offer a free service on your automail seeing as it's been through the desert, but you clearly don't need it. I'm going back to my hotel and I'll be going home tomorrow."

"WINRY!" Ed started.

"What?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... it's just... this case we're on, it's classified and I... You dont' need to be any more involved than you have been. I don't want you in trouble."

"Well, you should have thought of that BEFORE becoming my friend."

"That's not fair! I've known you all my life. How could I NOT be your friend?"

more later.

Home time.

Edited by Guest

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

Well, there you go. They're out of the predicament. THE END oh wait never mind. Nope, still in a predicament. PUSS AND BLOOD? EW. Yeah, that's a predicament all right. Just not for Al this time.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

• 1 month later...

*MOAR*

"Brother, what are we going to do now?"

Alphonse and Edward sat side by side against the wall. The busy traffic of the hospital marched by them with barely a glance. Opposite them was the door to the room where the old lady had been taken. A myriad of doctors, nurses and alchemists milled around trying to help her. But so far nothing had worked. This 'illness' of hers was not natural.

"Unless we help her, we're at a dead end. We have to start looking for other clues to find the philosopher's stone."

"I thought this was our best chance."

"It was. And still is. But we can't ask her while she's so... so-"

"Yeah. Maybe we can try to find a way to help her. Then she can help us."

"How, Al? Doctors and State Alchemists can't figure it out. How can we?"

"There must be something. Surely someone's written about it. We can look it up."

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

The heavy footsteps of military boots dragged the Elrics from their daze.

"You really do like to punish yourselves, don't you?" Mustang said in deep soft tones. As much as he was Edward's superior, he was also very aware that these two were still just children.

Al looked up, his expressionless armoured face somehow still seemed sad. "We can't just sit around doing nothing."

"We promised ourselves we would get our bodies back." Ed said without looking up. "If this lead takes us nowhere, then we need to start looking elsewhere.

"I see. Well then, if you need to be busy, then I have some research that needs looking into. And it may help that woman you brought back."

Something in the boys perked up. They were very good at hiding it, but Mustang had been working with them long enough to see that he had their full attention.

"There was once a State Alchemist who's research was deemed reckless and ineffective. We have some of his research notes. Maybe you would like to have a look through them. See if you can find something that others have not."

"What has any of this to do with the lady?"

"One of the research papers talks about conjuring transmutation circles without having to draw them."

That afternoon, Mustang sat half asleep in amongst the clatter of his office.

"You looked pleased with yourself, General." Riza Hawkeye's stern voice cut into his hazy musings. "You know there was no need to put the Elrics onto the research papers."

"Those boys have a natural knack for finding things. If there is something in those papers that years of alchemists haven't found, then those two will find it. I believe in that."

"Sir," Interjected Lt. Breda. "I'm not sure those papers are worth anything. I've being seeing those two running around Headquarters all day. They haven't exactly been thoroughly researching."

Mustang sat up straight. A frown creased his brow. "Running around? That doesn't sound like them." Suddenly his eyes lit up. "THEY'VE FOUND SOMETHING!"

CRASH

The doors violently flew open and standing in the doorway were Ed and Al.

"THIS MAN WAS A MONSTER!!!" Ed yelled. He looked ragged as he stormed up to Ropy's desk. Behind his Alphonse followed, his arms full of papers and books that Roy did not recognise.

"I take it you've had a productive day."

"No wonder you're researchers couldn't work it out. You only had part of his research notes. And they were in code. The rest of it all was hidden around the place in concealed slots in the buildings. We've been trying to gather it all."

Mustang tried to remain calm. "And when you did gather it all, what did you find?"

"THAT HE'S A COMPLETE LUNATIC!"

Edward was clearly agitated by what he found. He entire body was shaking with... Rage? Frustration?

Hawkeye placed a hand on Ed's shoulder and steered him towards the couch to sit down. She had already seated Al there, who seemed to be in shock, his arms still holding tight to the bundle of books.

"What did you find?" She asked gently.

"He was once a State Alchemist who was looking to find a way to heal people. The Regenerating Alchemist, Caleb Finnemore."

"My name's Roy. Roy Mustang."

"Mine is Becca. Becca Finnemore."

"Why are you crying, Becca?"

"My Daddy is scary. I don't want to help him at work anymore... Why were you crying?"

Lt. Havoc dragged on his cigarette. "We know that much already. That's what his notes said."

"But what they didn't say was that he found a way to heal. But it's equivalent exchange, something must be lost in order to be gained. He took from life itself. He would call on and battle Truth while using the world around him to heal. And then... His daughter, Becca."

"Here! So you always have someone close by."

"Thankyou, Roy. I'll never forget you."

Tears welled up in Ed's eyes. "He experimented on his daughter. Trying to find the limits of his new technique. She was only a little girl. And he took her to work with him and made her sick so he could heal her. And then when he failed, he was forced from Central and stripped of his State Alchemy licence. The military tried to erase any trace of him. But he managed to hide his papers before they confiscated them. That's why his old notes don't make sense. They aren't in code. They're bogus. Fake notes to throw people off. But there was one line in there which pointed to the first hiding place."

"I'll never forget you. You are my first friend."

"Thanks Becca. When I'm older, I'll come find you. I'll free you from your Dad. I'll join the military if I have to, to find you and save you."

"BECCA! That was very naughty of you, running away like that. Thankyou young man for looking after her."

So you'll always have someone close by.

Silence lay heavy on the air in the office.

Shortly after Ed had joined the Military, he and Al had been doing so research under the watchful eye of the Sewing-life Alchemist. But they had discovered that he had once used his wife in an experiment, and then he used his own daughter. A daughter who, just the day before, had been playing with Ed and Al. This had traumatised the boys and their search for answers took on a new life. This wasn't just about getting their bodies back anymore.

LUNCH BREAK!!!

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

I'm BAAAAACK!!!

"We think we might know who the woman is and how to help her. But we will need help. It's not the sort of solution I'm really eager for, but it seems it's the only way." Ed told them.

"What are you planning on doing?" Roy asked warily.

"I'm going to use the same technique. While researching the notes I've been finding out how to do it. I think I know why Finnemore couldn't save his daughter. We just need to heal her for an instant so that we can destroy whatever transmutation circle is keeping her sick."

"Fullmetal, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this."

"Neither are we. But if we can save her she might be able to tell us more."

"If this goes wrong it could be the end of your State licence."

"General, if this goes wrong, it'll be the end of my life."

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

Al's armour body rattled with nervousness. He and Ed were standing in the middle of a grassed courtyard in the hospital, the old woman lay before them.

Standing off the grass watching them intently were Mustang and his subordinates, as well as several other notable military personell and curious hospital staff.

If this went wrong, Ed knew that none of these people could save them. But that did not deter him. He had read over and over the methods to use to heal someone. And he believed he had found the solution that had eluded Finnemore.

To Ed's mind, it was simple. The old Alchemist had over complicated it for himself. He had made the problem so complex that he couldn't see the path anymore. But if Ed's calculations were correct, going by what Finnemore had written in his notes, it was as simple as destroying each layer that had been built up.

The only question remaining was...

Exactly how many layers were there?

"Right. Are we ready Al?"

"Ready."

"Ok, here we go."

The two boys stepped forward and knelt down on the grass either side of the woman. Her repulsive skin had began to swell with the ever increasing number of diseases wracking her body.

Trying not to breathe in the horrid smell, Ed began to call on Truth to challenge him to a fight.

He looked deep within himself to his core. "I call you, Truth, and challenge you for a healing hand."

Suddenly, Ed found himself in two places at once. Part of his mind could see from his body, still there on the grass, but at the same time, he could see himself before a familiar gate.

He had stood there before. When he and Alphonse had tried to bring their mother back to life.

Sitting crosslegged before the doorway was a hazy figure. Human in shape but something about it was definitely not human. It's voice came in rasps, neither male nor female. It's only clear feature was it's mouth.

"So, you have returned. And you challenge me? This is new. I would not have expected you to challenge me like this. Have you not already lost enough?"

Ed suddenly fell to the ground before Truth. Searing pain caused him to scream in both worlds.

His arm and leg were no longer the automail he become accustomed to, instead they were once again missing, blood dripping from the old wounds.

"It's not for me!"

"It never is." Truth sneered. "You want your mum, you want your brother. What have you to pay me this time? How much is it worth?"

"I challenge your payments!"

Pain coursed through Ed as old wounds opened and closed. Every cut, every stab, every bruise, he felt them across his body as he writhed on the grass and before Truth. He could see Al looking worried for him, but knowing this was part of the payment he restrained himself from trying to help Ed.

Concentrating on Truth, Ed held his palms out to him and envisioned the healing circle. It flared into existence in front of his hands and at the same time it was emblazoned onto his real bodies left palm. Fighting the pain he held his left hand over the old woman the power of adrenalin he felt from the pain became the power he needed to heal her.

"Your sacrifice is not enough for her."

"Then what else do you need?"

"Equivilent exchange. Is that not what you have believed in? You cannot gain something from nothing."

"Yes. I know." Ed said through gritted teeth. "Take the land. Take the grass."

"Nothing can ever grow there again, should you sacrifice it."

"I'm sure we'll survive."

Truth laughed. It's mouth grew larger and wide as it did so. "I'm sure you will survive, Edward Elric. But can she survive?"

"There is only one way to find out."

Roy Mustang stood and watched in amazement. Ed's body was being attacked by something unseen. Yet he still forced himself to channel whatever power 'Truth' gave him into healing the woman.

Al was waiting nervously for a sign. Mustang had heard them both talking about it and had tried to follow, but the terms they were using were unfamiliar and he was not about to research all this himself. A pure waste of time. That's why he had the boys do it for him.

But he did not want to lose such a prodigy. He essentially had 2 for the price of one with Edward and Alphonse. Both were talented and easy to manipulate. Perfect for his plans of becoming Fuhrer.

As Roy watched, there appeared to be a moment between Ed and Al. The woman's body was completely healed, although the grass around her and Ed had rapidly dried and disintegrated leaving just the solid ground. Al took a short knife and cut through the thin material covering her frail body. He nodded to Ed...

... And then raised the knife high and plunged it into the womans's stomach.

An explosion of puss, mucus, blood and numerous other vile substances covered Ed, Al and the woman.

One Military official turned and heaved on the nearest garden.

Mustang sympathised with him. Many others were looking like they wanted to do the same. But their curiosity and awe won over their impulses.

The warm afternoon sun quickly dried the three figures. It changed from the putrid mess to a crystalised form as it dried and then... with help from a gentle breeze, it began to crumble into dust.

Mustang hurried forward, followed closely by Riza and Falman. They dusted away what was left of the mess and checked on the three of them. Al, being a suit of armour, was hard to read. But Ed's weak smile spoke for both of them.

Laying between them was the woman. Although no longer looking sickly, nor as old as before.

Doctors and Nurses rushed forward, pushing the military types out of the way.

Myth2010.jpg

JNet Royalty

• 2 months later...

So, trying to be about JNet yet again, and so catching up on this fic both for my own reasons as well as for the Awards. You've sure been keeping up the action! Although I really wish I hadn't been eating as I read the last few posts.... blech! Not the best post for that.

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23