The Literary Value of Miracles

Lord Ar-Pharazon

In stories, when miracles happen, for whatever reason, do you consider it a Deux ex machina plot device, or do you think it depends on what force is behind the miracles and rationale? Have you seen stories where miracles have been used in a lame way? I suppose they're like anything else, but I wanted to see what ya'll thought...

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

I've never read a fic with miracles in it, but I think it would depend on how they are presented. I mean, some things that might be 'miracles' by one definition are just things that the author is using to move the plot along. They could be foreshadowing or plot devices.

But like I said, I think it's mostly about how it's incorporated in the story, and what the purpose of said miracle is.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

I agree that it depends on the context and the primary litmus test is probably congruity with the narrative as a whole. You don't want it to ring false of the created world. For example, if the work is instilled with debates/hints/themes of God or the supernatural, even if the existence of those elements hasn't been established as true, it's already in the realm of conversation and the occurrence of a miracle lends support to one side of the debate or it manifests a running theme. That would be more consistent with what's been presented than if a miracle were to conveniently wrap up a very worldly soap opera with no other ties to the themes or drama. Another example might be to have a miracle kick off the narrative and the story could include a honest exploration of some of its repercussions. In this case the truth of the miracle is the very premise and presumption of the story so you are establishing it as a miracle-possible world from the get-go, but that world can still come across as unconvincing if it isn't followed through with a sense of realism in its effects.

At the end of the day I think you just want a level of consistency that grounds a sense of unity in the overall work. Of course, part of what makes a miracle a miracle is that it doesn't conform to our familiar regularities, but the challenge of the story is I guess to capture this essence while still being believable in the picture of the world presented.

couldntbeseen.png

^

|

What he said.

However, (to me at least) Deus Ex machina also means something like a forced ending when the author gets too lazy to think up a decent plot... (Like the Pain arc in Naruto. Geez.....)

I don't think miracles in stories have to be advertised as "OMG IT'S A MEERAKLE!" to be a miracle. "必然だ!" (There are no coincidences) in the words of xxxHolic. Like um the lightning saving Luffy on the execution platform in Loguetown. No explanation after 400 chapters of it (yet), but readers just accepted it. Of course the reverse is true... if a character stands up and goes "Muahahahhahhaha I planned it all" it can get irritating and readers sometimes don't buy that, but still it depends on the skill of the writer, i suppose. (Worked for me in Death Note, but not in Bleach.)

Ok, I've been reading too much manga lately.... >.<

ilikegreenguyscopy.jpg

Darsha Assant turned dark at 2734 posts.

Miracles can't be over the top otherwise it would be just another lame plot device that only does damage to the character and the story itself. I will point out Harry Potter. In a world of magic the boundaries are pushed on the realms of possibilities in the world itself. However, that would not excuse every thing to make Harry perform the best in every regard and throughout the story you see him fail many times and have narrow lucky escapes in the dire times. There were small miracles at times however, Fawkes taking out the Basilisks eyes, the Philosopher's Stone in his pocket, the massive Patronus...essentially everything that ended each book was a miracle of sorts, regardless of them being explained later on. It worked because each of them was not over the top and plausible.

Then compare that to anything in comics recently with death. Aside the Blackest Night series (which only revived those turned into Black Lanterns so not everyone came back and it was well done and started a new series where since there is no god of Death to decide if you continue life or not, you die forever), comics are notorious for crappy plot devices of resurrection. I am anxious to see how Grant Morrison will retcon his own killing of Bruce Wayne with the Return of Bruce Wayne beginning next month (as Bruce was not the body buried at his grave when it became a Black Lantern).

SOCeTJx.png?1

Resident Tech and Video Game Geek

Well, crap, Sasori is correct.