Village Zero

Andon

I don't know when it happened. Not the outbreak, everyone remembers that. Just thought it was a dirty bomb, most people did. There were a few that said the people at the impact point in St. Louis didn't have the typical radiation sickness, even saw one or two on the news. I can't remember when they stopped getting air time; somebody must have brushed them aside for more pressing coverage of the clean-up. They locked down a good portion of the city and surrounding area, but it was too much ground to cover quickly enough.

Some people died, some showed early stages of radiation sickness; but some, I don't really know what happened to them. Some went completely catatonic and started screaming or something when anyone was in the same room as them, creepy as hell to read about in the paper. The others though, they didn't wait to be around others to lose it. Just started screaming all the time and pounding on the walls of the isolation cells; I think they called it a kind of post traumatic stress. A lot of them got shipped off to psych wards. We didn't hear much about them.

It's when the people around the state started showing symptoms. I don't remember when it happened, got too occupied with the St. Louis quarantine. Some doctor came on TV during a press conference and said it was nothing to worry about, some kind of ”œmirror syndrome”

unnamed.jpg

s.png s.png

Interesting set-up, a little Stephen-King-esque. There's a good deal of mystery to it; I like the repetition of 'dirty bomb', like the protagonist is still trying to talk himself into believing that.

Looking forward to more.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

This sounds very real, as an actual untrained observer would tell it. Good work with that.

Definitely. O really enjoyed this. Very mysterious, very real-sounding...Joe Blow who lives down the street is telling this....thats how it feels to me. I like the use of vague but at the same time detailed descriptions...is exactly what would happen with a normal citizen telling about an incident they heard about on the news.

Member of Jnet Addict Club 12/05

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

Dun dun dun...

Very dramatic. Dark. Good work. Reminds me of zombies...

BRAAAAAAAAINNNNS....HUNGRY!!!!!!

Yes.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS.

I got that feeling too. And it was very Joe Blow down the street talking, which was good, it was a very natural feeling narrative. I'm not offhand sure the rules about censor breaking for fanfics/literature though... maybe star it? It doesn't bother me any because it's still a PG rated piece.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.