Dantooine

Ary the Grey

Le'Nin shrugged. "Some worlds the Empire hold, some the Republic--but it's in name only, mostly. A lot of planets are self-governing. The whole Rim is the kind of place where you want to keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

LeNin-1.jpg

A half smile played across his lips. "I'm sure."

It was nice talking to Vega he soon discovered. She knew a lot that he did not, and hearing about her and what she did out on the Rim was quite interesting. She'd mentioned earlier that she studied people; he wondered now if she was studying him...

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

She chuckled. "Though--the Rim peoples tend to indulge in a form of reverse snobbism. If they find out you're from the Core worlds you'll never hear the last of it. They're frontier people, really, in a lot of ways."

She WAS studying Arlan--though more out of habit than anything else. She was noting his words and responses, filing his face and his voice and expressions away in her capacious memory.

LeNin-1.jpg

”œI wouldn't take that as a compliment,”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

Le'Nin tipped her head. "There are a lot of things that people feel that they or other people shouldn't HAVE to put up with--but in the end, it's the reality of the situation that matters. Also," she looked pensively down at her hands. "What are we without adversity? We can't grow without conflict. It's those things that help us define who we are."

LeNin-1.jpg

"It's not even the necessity of war that I'm talking about," she continued, spreading her hands on the tabletop, "or that fact that that a senseless number of lives are lost or damaged irreparably in the cause of forwarding a government or and ideal--I mean also just the fact that people who have something to fear are often people who are willing to hurt””and the people around them suffer the consequences of that. But--" she shook her head. "That drive--that need to create conflict is the reality of the situation, and we are tempered when we learn to survive."

LeNin-1.jpg

He shrugged. ”œI don't know... I've been faced with conflict my entire life. Going through what I have thus far has turned me into a better person. I guess what you're saying makes sense though. I agree that fear plays a part in a person's violent behavior. I believe, though, that there are still people out there who simply long to watch the galaxy burn.”

He nodded.

"Yes. But still, it's too bad that those a part of the dark side or otherwise choose to proceed down that path in the first place. The Sith and the Empire are very strong - there's no denying that. I don't see this war coming to an end any time soon, and that's the worst part..."

”œAs long as one of the two sides are still at odds with the other, there will never be peace,”

"They can't," Le'Nin shook her head. "They are fundamentally too different--our two orders cannot occupy the same space, just as darkness and light are mutually exclusive. There will always be a struggle to remove one or remove the other."

LeNin-1.jpg

”œThen one must diminish while the other becomes the dominant,”

"And like light and darkness--" she hesitated, and then continued. "like the light and the darkness, our two orders are elemental and permanent. The Force--the Force is there, in all of its forms and manifestations, wether or not there are Sith and Jedi to call on it."

LeNin-1.jpg

”œThere will always be a light and a dark side. The Force is neutral; it belongs to neither the Jedi nor the Sith. The way I see it, the person who wields it is the one who steals that neutrality. The Force is a Jedi's tool, and a Sith's weapon. It is harnessed differently by either side, but manipulated just the same.”

Le'Nin tipped her head and regarded Arlan for a long moment. "...I've been accused of walking the line of falling to the Dark Side when expressing that very opinion. I agree with it whole-heartedly--however, the potential is always there. There will always be people willing to bend the Force to attain self-serving ends."

LeNin-1.jpg

Arlan was silent for a few moments, considering everything that Vega had just said to him. She had scraped against the dark side? Had she fallen at one point? Even if she hadn't, it was still quiet a sensitive subject. He decided that it would be best to not bring it up at all. Doing so might have conjured negative feelings and emotions in her.

He smiled grimly. ”œTrue. Being able to use the Force is a gift, and for that, we must all learn to use it wisely and responsibly.”

"They're too selfish--or focused." She shifted in her chair. "Some Jedi have become so focused on the good of their goals that they've lost track of their methods and fallen into the darkness as a result. Some people embrace it, and others are snared in it without even knowing that they were too close."

LeNin-1.jpg

Arlan settled back in his chair. His mind was working in overtime, and he found this discussion with Vega to be quite drawing. Folding his arms across his chest, he nodded at what she was saying. The more he thought about it - how a number of Jedi fell to the dark side for the good in their goals -, he realized that that could have very well been the case.

”œIt is dangerous,”

Le'Nin nodded, her eyes momentarily very far away.

"And the person you set out to serve doesn't even recognize you anymore. It's why we--the Jedi--can never relax our guard. We have a staggering responsibility to ensure that our power is never misused."

LeNin-1.jpg

Arlan hesitated for a brief moment. From the looks of it, Vega seemed to be in the midst of becoming lost in her own thoughts. He leaned forward slightly, and asked, ”œAre all right? If talking about this is making you uncomfortable...”

He grinned. ”œWell, I'm glad to be able to do this for you. Listening, discussing... it's nice to take a break and have a good conversation over two glasses of caf. I haven't gotten to do this in a long time.”