Dantooine

Ary the Grey

Le'Nin, who had been half-turned away by the time the ramp lowered, turned back to give the young human male who had emerged a rather tentative smile.

"Good day," she said, grimacing inwardly at how stiff the words sounded. "Er--my name is Vega." Her eyes dropped to the lightsaber on his belt and her smile relaxed a trifle. "I wasn't wrong about you, I see. That's a relief."

((OOC: yay, here comes the DIALOGUE! My favourite part of any RP :3))

LeNin-1.jpg

Arlan offered the woman a warm smile.

”œAnd I am Arlan,”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

"I'm glad to meet you, Arlan." she said, her smile relaxing even more at the mention of familiar words like Padawan and Master.

"Yes," she continued after a moment. "I--I've been away from things for a rather long time and I need information," she finished rather lamely. "If you have time--I need to know what's happening in the Order and in the rest of the civilized universe."

LeNin-1.jpg

”œI'd be glad to fill you in on anything that I can,”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

Arlan spread his hands and gave her a reassuring smile. ”œIt's no trouble, Vega. She won't mind at all.”

Le'Nin followed Arlan hesitantly in, slightly encouraged by the sight of the clouds. A Jedi Master--even a miffed one--probably wouldn't kick a guest her apprentice invited onto the ship out into a storm.

"You're very kind." She shoved her hands into her pockets, hunching her shoulders slightly under her worn brown robe.

LeNin-1.jpg

Le'Nin trailed after Arlan, studying him thoughtfully as he walked.

"Ah--" she said, and then cleared her throat, forcing herself to overcome her natural reticence. This boy was no enemy of hers--he deserved at least part of the truth. "No, I have a ship. I just have been...rather out of touch."

LeNin-1.jpg

After another very brief hesitation, she nodded. "Yes--please. Anything without alcohol, I'm not picky." She was still watching him thoughtfully as she spoke, automatically filing the details of how he moved and spoke away in her head.

"I've been away from the core systems," she admitted. "engaged in...research."

LeNin-1.jpg

He poured caf into both glasses, then closed the pitcher and put it away. He gestured towards the table and took a seat, setting one glass in front of him and the other beside him.

”œWhat kind of research?”

Le'Nin sat, smiling a little as she realized belatedly that she'd given the boy her cover name--and finding herself more than a little chagrined to realize that she hadn't even noticed the small automatic lie.

"Anthropological research, I suppose you could call it," she said, considering the answer to be closer to the truth than any other she could give. "I study people."

She sipped at the liquid and couldn't hide the pleasure the taste of it brought to her. "I haven't had decent caf in ages."

LeNin-1.jpg

Interesting...

”œDo you study peoples' behavior?”

"Both," Le'Nin said, taking another long sip. "You can't have the conglomerate without the individual, after all." She took another long sip. "You wouldn't believe the abominable swill that passes for caf the further you get away from the core."

LeNin-1.jpg

"I believe it," Arlan shook his head. "I've never been near the Rim. It must have been interesting, being in an environment different from our own."

He poured a small packet of sugar into his glass and let it settle. "When I get my own ship, I want to venture farther out. Meet new people, you know? My training has restrained me to the Core, but I don't mind that either."

He wouldn't deny it. Visiting the Rim was something that he'd always wanted to do, but never had the credits or time to. He knew that once his training was complete, he'd have a more flexible agenda and more time to himself.

"It's definitely different," Le'Nin smiled wryly. "but--people are interesting wherever you go, really. How close are you to Knighthood, if I may ask, Arlan?"

She didn't add anything to the caf to lessen its bite, relishing instead the dark bitter liquid as it burned its way merrily down her throat.

LeNin-1.jpg

He hesitated. "I'm not sure. Nearing the end of it I think, but Armiena hasn't said anything about it yet. We're supposed to be leaving in a couple of hours to meet with one of her friends, though I'm not sure exactly where we're going..."

She didn't tell him any more than that. He assumed she would, but knowing her, it would be right before they met with her "friends".

"You're Force sensitive. Are you a Jedi?"

Le'Nin nodded as Arlan spoke of his Master. "I see. I'm interested in meeting your Master."

She winced inwardly at the directness of his next question--and then had to remind herself that this was no fencing, wary exchange of words, but rather a talk with a refreshingly honest young man.

"I am," she admitted. "a Knight, yes."

LeNin-1.jpg

"She's an amazing woman," he said. "The Grandmaster of the Jedi, too."

He left out the bit about Armiena's dream to retire to a neutral planet with her family to live a normal, unaffiliated life. Instead, he took another sip of his drink, and nodded when Vega told him that she was a Knight.

"I assumed as much," he said, allowing a grin to flit across his lips. "Who was your master?"

Le'Nin quailed inside at the mention of a Grand Master--

"Maybe I won't stay to meet her after all," she thought with a weary mental sigh. She kept the smile on her face, however, hiding her discomfort.

"You wouldn't have heard of my Master," she said, her voice slightly wistful. "It was rather a long time ago."

LeNin-1.jpg

Arlan spread his hands. He could have heard of Vega's master, but he didn't pry for a name. Instead, he left it at that and sipped at his drink again. His glass was half-full, but it would probably be the last caf he had for the rest of the day. The afternoon hours were rolling by, and he didn't want to be kept awake all night by the pick-me-up the drink provided.

”œHow long have you been a Knight for?”

Le'Nin chuckled. "Vultans--that's what I am--have about twice the maximum lifespan of humans. I'm about 60 standard years old. My Master--" she paused. "--I was knighted when I was around 20." She finished the mug of caf with relish. "What about you, Arlan? You look about 20 yourself."

LeNin-1.jpg

Sixty!? That surprised him. He studied her face and the tendril-like things that took the place of her hair. Her skin was dotted with small bumps, but he assumed that all Vultans, young and old, had similar features. There was no way he could be sure though; at least, not without comparing Vega to the other men and women of her species. She looked similar to a Twi'lek, but he knew that the latter didn't have double the lifespan of a regular human.

”œI'm eighteen,”

"It's worth it," Le'Nin said fervently. "Thank you. When I leave for the Rim again this time I'm taking as much dehydrated caf with me as my ship will carry." She took another long sip and sighed. "So--tell me, what's been going on in the Order? The news that reaches the Rim is sporadic and not always to be believed."

LeNin-1.jpg

Arlan settled back into his chair and leaned forward, cupping his glass with both hands. She spoke of the Rim; he wondered what she planned on doing there? He opened his mouth to ask her what she planned on doing out on the Rim, but she pressed on before he had the chance to.

”œThe Order?”