Dantooine

Ary the Grey

Grinning, but also feeling slightly guilty for contorting his expression into amusement, Arlan walked over to the side of her bed and lifted up the pillows. Shaking them, wondering if he would hear a particular sort of rattling or clinging, didn't hear a thing. They weren't here, either. He tried the other pillow, and received the same result.

”œWhere do you think the safest place for them would be?”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

"We-ell," she said, pausing and rubbing her chin. "Probably somewhere totally out of the way. Somewhere where a thief wouldn't first look, and somewhere I wouldn't easily stumble across them. So..." she looked up and closed the cabinet door with a sigh. "More likely than NOT, soldered into the ceiling or some such."

LeNin-1.jpg

”œWe should look in the ceiling then,”

"Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion. But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

She dragged a stool out of the corner and held it, staring upwards and scanning also as Arlan was. "Ah!" she cried, pointing to a thin line of black at the edge of one of the plates. She set the stool down and climbed up on it, reaching up to pull the loosened plate aside. She was greeted with a shower of dust, dead spiders, papers--and the credit chips. The papers and chips, along with an ID card dropped to the floor. She pounced on the card and the papers, hurriedly scooping them up.

LeNin-1.jpg

He stood back, but even from where he was standing, Arlan was showered with papers and small black - bugs? He leapt back, patting his clothes and scratching at his hair. Dust also caked his clothes and surrounded him, making him sneeze once. Then twice. He took no notice as Vega dropped off of the stool and gathered up what had fallen. He didn't see the ID card, nor what the papers read.

”œWhat is all this stuff?”

"Back ups," she said, grinning grubbily at him. "ID papers, birth records--" her smile turned a touch grim. "Proof that I'm not an escaped slave. And," she scooped up the handful of credit chips with triumph. "The much-sought-after credit chips. More than I remember having, actually."

LeNin-1.jpg

He clasped his hands together. ”œGreat!”

She glanced up at him with a gentle smile. "I never was, thanks to my parents. I forget--people don't know much about Vultans anymore because there are so few of us left. The Empire wiped out most of my people, and almost all the rest of them were sold into slavery. Even if you do come across one of my people, you'll usually find them as dancing girls or shipyard slaves. But--" she shrugged and tucked papers, ID card and credit chips into her pocket. "I have to keep things with me to show I'm free, otherwise people assume I'm some escaped slave and that they can get a possible bounty off of hauling me in."

LeNin-1.jpg

Le'Nin shot him a grateful look. "...Precisely my feelings on the subject. Though--" she smiled ruefully. "I should chide you and say that such feelings aren't fitting for a budding Jedi Knight. I'll leave that to your Master to do, though." She wiped her grubby hands on her trousers. "I make it a point to free any slave I can, whenever I can--and let me tell you, that does NOT make me popular."

LeNin-1.jpg

She shook her head. "Don't apologize--not to me. I can't help but think that if a few more good people actually got upset over some of the things going on in the galaxy, more might be done to stop things like the slave trade." She sighed. "I just wish I could do more. There are so many wrongs that need righting in the universe and not nearly enough people or lifetimes to even be a drop in the bucket."

She glanced out the window. "Looks like the rain is finally stopping. I was worried for a bit there that we were going to end up flooded out!"

LeNin-1.jpg

”œTruer words have never been spoken,”

With that, Arlan set off. He made his way out of the Antigony and walked at a brisk pace back towards the Ghost Breath. The smell of the recent storm still lingered, and the ground was soaked. He took care to avoid the puddles and mud, and soon, he had arrived back at the Breath.

R2 opened the cargo bay for him. ”œThanks,”

Le'Nin waited for Arlan to return just under the shadow of the Antigony, holding her robe tucked closely about her in the lingering chill after the storm.

She was working very hard to ignore the voice of her guilt, still whispering a constant undertone of beration. She overlayed it with a quick analysis of what she was going to REALLY need to take away to the Rim with her, blocking out also the shy, hopeful thoughts at the idea of friendship with Arlan and, perhaps, his Master as well.

LeNin-1.jpg

The unmistakable whine of a speeder bike sounded from some thirty meters away. Arlan zipped around the starport and released the acceleration trigger, coasting along the earthy dampness at a little more than thirty kilometers an hour. Kicking up dirt as he went along, he slowed to a stop next to Vega, who was standing outside the Antigony.

”œHop on,”

He laughed. ”œThanks.

”œI have, actually. But, it fried the engine and I had to build a new one.”

She whooped as they accelerated, laughing into the wind as it drove against her face. "Can she go any faster?" The wind whipped the words away as fast as she said them so she had to lean right next to Arlan's ear to make herself heard. Then--laughing again, "Does your Master know you drive like an insane mynock?"

LeNin-1.jpg

He caught her words before they were taken away by the wind. Smiling ear to ear, he squeezed the trigger as far as it would go. Without warning - at least, not for Vega, to his amusement - the bike launched forward at a seemingly alarming rate. Now, he was catching the full brunt of the wind, but he was still enjoying the ride a great deal.

”œI'm sure she does,”

”œGlad to see you haven't fallen off,”

"Good!" She settled in to enjoy the rest of the ride, letting the wind wash over her like ocean waves. The air smelled good and clean and damp and the vibrant green of the grass and the sun piercing through the lacework clouds made her suddenly wonder why in the world she spent so much time under cold, artificial light on tiny metal spaceships when she could be in someplace--well, like this place.

LeNin-1.jpg

They were perhaps several minutes away from the small town of Khoonda when Arlan spoke up again. ”œWe're almost there! We have some distance to cover yet, but hang in there. Are you managing all right?”

((OOC: It's fine! ))

They continued on, speeding over expanse prairie fields, sloping hills, and along paths that had been etched by previous sentinent trekking. Arlan kept a firm hold on the bike's acceleration trigger, directing the machine up and over the side of another steep ascent. Once they were back on level ground, the high-pitched hum continued.

From where they were now, a visible cluster of silver and black pinpricks dotted the near horizon. In less than ten minutes now, he was sure, they'd arrive in Khoonda. What had once been Dantooine's governing body in the era of the Old Republic, it had become obsolete in the eyes of the planets' residents. However, despite its reputation - or lack thereof -, Khoonda was still inhabited and governed close to the same way Garang and Sulem were.

Maneuvering another mountainous formation, they drew closer to the city, now only mere minutes away from it...

Le'Nin rode in silence behind Arlan then, watching the city come closer. She'd never been outside of the area around the starport and she was anxious to see a city that was a little more indigenous than what you'd find around a major port.

LeNin-1.jpg

After what seemed like hours of the constant whine of his speeder bike and wind beating against his ears, Arlan finally eased up on the trigger, which brought the machine to a slow, steady speed of nearly fifty kilometers an hour.

”œWe're here,”

"Excellent," she said, sliding off the bike and adjusting her wind-blown clothing. "You're coming in, right? Or--do you have other errands to run?" She checked her pockets, reassuring herself that her credits and papers were still in place.

LeNin-1.jpg