Tales from Narrati Village (NSW) (Fin)

This is a bit of lighter work to give me a break from some of my heavier more difficult stories I'm working on right now. I hope you find it as amusing as I did.

Welcome to Narrati Village in the nation of Imagi! I will guide you on a tour of Narrati and point out points of interest.

I would introduce myself to you; but I cannot, as Author has not yet decided what my name is. In the meantime, you may refer to me as the narrator. Now, let me give you a bit of insight into the internal workings of my village.

Here in Narrati, we all revere the one person who has control over our daily lives. We do not know this person's name, so we refer to him as Author. Every day, Author sends us words, mixes of letters that assemble themselves in a grouping that, when read phonetically, has a meaning. However, no one ever has any time to read them phonetically because the moment they are in order, they come to life. Names of objects bring and object into existence, adjectives give it details, verbs put events into motion and adverbs dictate how they play out. Every word I say is given by Author.

However, Author is not infallible, and has occasionally been known to make mistakes. Usually when this happens and the wrong item appears or the wrong action occurs (or possibly nothing happens at all, if the letter group has no meaning), Author will take back the incorrect letters and replace them with new ones. However, sometimes these mistakes escape Author's notice, and if they are allowed to go uncorrected, they sometimes break free of Author's control and wreak absolute havoc in our little village.

Like the time the village executioner was given a murderer to hang. Everyone gathered in the village square, particularly the hangman himself and the condemned man. And there, we waited for the hangman to receive from Author the noose with which to perform the hanging. Unfortunately, due to a slight lack of attention on Author's part, the hangman was instead given a moose.

Now, a moose is an entirely different thing from a noose, and altogether inconvenient for holding in one's hand for any length of time. Therefore, it is hardly surprising that the hangman dropped the moose almost immediately. The moose himself was hardly pleased at this turn of events, but we had at that moment far more important concerns to attend to, particularly when Author directed that the aforementioned moose was to be tightened around the neck of our murderer.

Not one of us had the slightest idea how that was to be done, and the hangman in particular was a bit nervous about the idea. Nevertheless, even while repeatedly muttering, ”œPreposterous! How in fantasy am I supposed to hang someone with a moose?”

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!

Snrrrk. I'm pretty sure the plural of moose is not MEESE--I expect you were referencing the litany 'If the plural of goose is geese, is the plural of moose meese?', but it was still funny...

Bewaaaare... bewaaare of the typos...

I find my life quite fortunate that it is not decided at the whim of a narrator beyond, and pity my characters. They talk quite a bit with me. And J. Who are their creators bwhahaha. Yeah, if my characters (or hers) ever come to life I'm dead. We're meaaan writers.

I've made my fair share of narrator jokes, anyway... mhmmm.

And critically here, good job on switching voices. I wouldn't want to read much more unless you made it really witty but you did a good job taking on a far different narrative voice than normal here. It could just get dry fast if you did anything too long.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I'm 100% sure that the plural of moose is not "meese". I am also 100% sure that I was intentionally incorrect in this instance. I just think that "meese" sounds incredibly funny and decided that a purely silly story like this would be an ideal place to use it, particularly with my "narrator", who is far less learned than he would like to believe.

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!

This wasn't supposed to be a long highly descriptive work, though. I deliberately did not use very much description for the sake of keeping it short. It was just supposed to be kind of silly, with the imagination supplying the ridiculous images. I think heavy description would have tired it out.

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!

There is no plural for sheep, as well, is there?

And people keep on saying 'fishes' - it is not the plural form of fish(noun) but the action!

Anyway, nice story! Did me some cheer on a rahter dreary night.

Actually, fishes is a technically correct but rather archaic plural.

anit.jpg

Thanks, Tiana!