Sullust

Tarrian Skywalker

Let me start by saying that this was a rather classic Star Warsy duel. On Team Sith we have Sheog, a powerful Sith Lord capable of consuming all life on a world, much like Darth Nihilus, and is attempting to do so here. On Team Jedi, we have standing against him the Wookie Jedi and his new apprentice, the last line of defense protecting this world from this eldritch monstrosity. This scenario comes out of something like classic KOTOR, or some of the larger scale Legends novels. We'll touch on the bad first, and then touch on the good and end on a happy note.

First, we'll touch on Sheog. In the first and second round, you react to the attacks out of order. While largely not changing the effects of the attacks, it's important to note that Kirlocca attacked in order to make an opening for Johan's attacks. In the grand scope of things, you still took damage from both, but I'd like to set a precedent that duelists should respect attacks in 2v1s in order of posting, from the first attack of the first post to the last attack of the second. The exception is if the duelists post their attacks happening out of order, such as if Johan had mentioned his attacks coming before Kirlocca's.

Next, Johann. This was Johann's first duel, both IC and OOC, and while it's a good showing, there are areas that can be improved. I would recommend putting more detail into your attacks to give the readers, and your opponent, a more clear idea of what you're attempting to do. For example, where did he aim his shots? What angle did he swing at? Is he on the Hutt's left or his right? Things like this not only make the duel easier to visualize, but in a 2v1 it gives your ally more to work off of in their post, and helps your opponent understand what they need to do to respect the attacks.

Kirlocca did much the same. In a duel, you should not simply be saying 'I used x ability for y effect'. The abilities should be the foundation of the writing, not the other way around. Your opponent and the mod should be able to know your attack and what you're trying to do with it through your post, and shouldn't have to pull up the ability spreadsheet to find the effect. For example:

'As he moved, he used his Deft Bladework, having his blade move in a fast back and forth movement, each one designed to make small cuts and wounds, none of which would actually do any damage to the Hutt's naturally thick skin. Kirlocca finished off his maneuver with a low sweeping slash.'

If I had not looked at the ability on the guide, I would have no idea that the attack was supposed to off-balance the opponent. In the future, what I would like to see is an explanation of how the attack is achieving its goal. What about the slashes will throw off a Hutt? How can you take a different approach to it to match the circumstance? A duel should be more than using abilities in sequence, and the guide should only be the foundation of your character's abilities, and a guideline as to what characters of that guide can do.

Now, onto the good.

Sheog, as usual, made a stellar effort to eat him some hairy Jedi. His attacks were clear, descriptive, and from what I can tell, his opponents and myself could clearly understand the desired effect and ways to respond. He's very dismissive and arrogant throughout the fight, but is a character with a storied history that give credence to these factors. He does a good job of balancing this with the subtle realizations that his opponents may be more than flies to swat away.

Johann and Kirlocca did an excellent job of believably attempting to coordinate their attacks, and both also played their characters well. Kirlocca, a seasoned Jedi who has faced Sheog before and knows the danger trying to watch out for his apprentice and guide him through the danger of his first duel. Johann plays the role of a padawan in over his head well, and while not knowing who or what Sheog is, understands the danger he's in against him.

With that said,

Sheog is victorious.

• Like 3

mavms.png

• 1 month later...

Whew, another duel here. Y'all are keeping me busy, you bastards. But I'm happy to do it! As before, we'll start with the bad, then hit the good, end on a positive note for the ruling.

First, Sheog. There are two things that spring to mind here.

• First, I couldn't find any mention whatsoever of damage taken in the previous duel, which in battles where you're dueling consecutively stands as an important note to take.
  • Next, your final post pushes your abilities a little too far, I feel. From summoning your axe and throwing it, conjuring Force Vomitus, and firing a radiation beam at your opponent, you're using two major force powers while trying to guide your axe to your target. While the setting is Sheog clearly eating a planet, and the schism between that and what you're capable of in a duel can be a tad jarring, it's important to take a look at what you're doing and considering if it's too much.

Next, Alleria. This is your first duel on the site, and while your posts keep up with the narrative in Sheog's well, when we get down to the fight itself we're left with a bit of a pickle.

• First, the power disparity. A fight against a higher ranked character, even an injured one, will almost always be an uphill battle. Very rarely do we see upsets of this balance, and that's important to keep in mind when deciding if you'll duel or not.
  • Second, as an apprentice force user who has not taken up a class yet, you try to take from the best of both FU and NFU worlds, which for balance purposes is not acceptable. NFUs are inherently at a disadvantage to FUs without these rules, as anything an NFU could do a FU could potentially do better. As such, we limit tech FUs are allowed to use. Between your usage of the Force and a lightsaber, and a veritable armory of NFU tech like blaster pistols and heavy duty explosives (Like the detonite and thermal detonators), this is a violation of our dueling rules. Again, it's your first duel on this site, so you aren't in trouble, but it certainly counts against you for the purposes of this ruling.
  • Finally, your last attack against your opponent. At no point can you write your attack hitting your opponent. Sticking your arm into the wounded Hutt, while a bad idea for reasons beyond what I'm touching on here, is closed attack, as your opponent has been granted no opportunity to defend himself. Even if he has a chance to react to the detonator, you've dealt damage to him by showing an appendage into a gaping wound. As the rules stand at the time of writing this ruling, even grabbing an opponent's shirt is grounds for a duel loss, as it can put them at a disadvantageous position without getting a say in the matter. Even for the last post in a duel, this is unacceptable due to the existence of follow-up duels and ties that turn into a second duel. (Again not in trouble, it's just important to mention these things in the ruling so that players have a clear and concise idea of what they did right and wrong

Now we can move to the good.

You both did excellently at responding to and receiving damage, and both of you led with clear and concise attacks that are explained well. At no time was I scratching my head saying 'What just happened?'. The scene was written well, and I kept track of the fight pretty easily. With the timing of the duel taken into account both IC and OOC, both of y'all made an admirable showing and despite the above criticisms, should come out of this feeling confident that you both put up a good fight.

With all that said, my ruling is thus:

Sheog the Mad defeats Alleria Tal'verda, and has next post.

• Like 1

mavms.png