Trulalis

Tarrian Skywalker

Mordecai's fleet jumped out of hyperspace- not nearly as impressive as the grand armada assembled over Geonosis, but for the forces of one man, it was impressive nonetheless, especially considering that half of his forces were away to defend Mon Cal. One of his newfound allies had withdrawn to defend their powerbase, and as a token of good will, and to improve his relations with other Sith, he had sent a good number of forces to assist the Krath and their defense. The Captain had gone with them, leaving him alone with naught but his former apprentice for true company. While the forces he was surrounded by were his allies and his followers, few of them had truly met him. While it allowed him to order them to battle with ease, command them to their deaths without hesitation, it meant a degree of loneliness when those that he favored were otherwise preoccupied.

He took a moment, looking at the old world below him. He thought about his time as a Sith. When he had arrived on Korriban, he had been a child, looking for quick and easy power, a legacy apart from his family. It was there that his skill as a warrior had revealed itself, a skill he had spent years honing. At Dark Sun, he had tested those skills, defeating a Jedi. At the time, it had merely been warfare, nothing personal about it. Simply two apprentices, pit against each other by machinations of higher powers. At Borleais, he had seen his former Empress. A child, it was revealed, incapable of fighting her own battles. Her bodyguards had scarred him, one that still burned to this day.

At Kuat, his reputation had begun to solidify itself. He met Lord Xahl, he had earned the title of Darth, and he had fought off the rebel traitors. It was there that the seeds of his ascension had been sowed. His campaign had followed shortly thereafter, and after the loss at Corellia and defending Kuat a second time, he was faced with the reality that the Dark Lord may not have the situation entirely under control. To challenge the Dark Lord directly, however, as Mordecai had done, hadn't been a wise choice. He knew he was being watched now, but he didn't care. As long as his troops performed as they were ordered, every one of them could be a spy. He had nothing to hide, his ambitions laid bare for all. He was seeking power.

He hailed Darth Tyra's ship, his hands folded behind his back. "Darth Tyra, meet me on the surface while our forces deliver our ultimatum. I have learned of a most interesting opportunity."

mavms.png

Mordecai glanced up as klaxons began to ring.

"My lord, unidentified ships just entered the system. They've deployed fighters."

Mordecai sneered. "Put me through."

It only took a moment for the bridge crew to execute his orders, broadcasting a message to the new arrivals.

"Unidentified ships, you are infringing on a Sith operation. Break your course immediately or we will fire on you."

There was no answer, and no deviation. He sighed. If these were planetary defenses, then they would be inconsequential. But if the rebels had arrived, it meant they knew of his operations in the sector. He would need to re-orient, shore up defenses at Geonosis. Slow his advance as to not overextend his forces. Regardless, with the addition of Darth Tyra's forces, they would make short work of the rebels in orbit. "Get fighters in the air, keep their forces away from the main fleet. Wipe out that carrier, and they're stranded here. Darth Tyra, you have new orders- assist in the orbital battle. I will ensure that our operations on the ground remain uncontested."

Another broadcast was transmitted. Foolish, perhaps, but he needed to bait the trap with something worth following. "Rebel forces, you face Darth Mavanger and Darth Tyra of the Sith Empire. Face us if you dare."

Along with the broadcast was the location of an old Sith temple, belonging to a Sith Master he had never heard of. To the rebels, it would be a ruin away from the main conflict to direct their attacks, with himself as the bait. To him, it was an opportunity for power, and a chance to kill more treacherous scum. He exited the bridge, boarding his shuttle once more as it shot out of the hangar towards the planet's surface.

mavms.png

Mordecai had already arrived. He waited- he could sense the Jedi approaching, as well as her entourage. Foolish of them to face him here, in a place of power. His face and his posture were relaxed, calm, but to anyone attuned to the force they would be able to see his roiling emotions. His anger, his hatred, his thirst for vengeance and bloodshed. He did not make his presence a secret- he meditated in the midst of the entrance to the temple, his eyes closed but his senses open.

"So you've come to put an end to me. Tell me, are you Jedi, or are you an Imperial Knight? In the end, I suppose, it doesn't matter. You've come here to kill me. But ask yourself, as you stand here with your troops in your craft, what that means. Did you come here seeking to put an end to this conflict? Did you even once think that I could be reasoned with? I assume not, seeing as how you've brought an entire kill team."

He stood slowly, the soft rain trickling down the canopy above. He would be covered in mud had he not chosen to meditate on the stone of the temple. he looked up, feeling the rain on his face as he inhaled, his hands retrieving his lightsabers.

"I offer a chance to speak freely. We are away from the battle, and from prying eyes. Do so, and we may yet avoid bloodshed today."

Of course, he fully intended to kill her if she didn't turn today. He knew it would likely take much longer, but he didn't have time to spend days working this woman over. An explosion crackled to life overhead as if to punctuate that thought. The trap was in motion. There was no subterfuge, of course. To do so would simply rob him of his own glory. But he had lured her here, to this place of darkness, where she would either turn from the light or meet her demise. 

Edited by Mavanger

mavms.png

Mordecai regarded the Mon Cal with a calm demeanor. While her own demeanor seemed kind, her lack of understanding did not surprise him. How could she understand? Her robes and her role hinted that she was likely Jedi, not an imperial. The last Jedi he had fought had so blindly followed his beliefs that he had nearly gotten himself killed for no reason other than to cling to the moral high ground that he believed he had. He hoped that this would end differently, of course, but he was fully aware that this would most likely end in bloodshed. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"A pleasure to meet you, Master Leena. I'm afraid that you may be out of place in such a locale, however. But if you've come to speak, then we shall do so. Though whether you shall listen, whether you shall think on my words, remains to be seen. To answer your question, I did not come here to corrupt and destroy, as you say. I came here to peacefully envelope this world into the Sith Empire. I asked that they lay down their arms willingly, and in return, their lives would remain largely unchanged. Instead, they rebelled for their sovereignty. An open hand and a clenched fist, as is our state now. I have offered an open hand to lay this conflict aside and join me, but I understand the necessity to strike you down if not.

As for why I have come, when so much of the galaxy is already in our grasp, the battle itself explains my motivations. Nearly every successful rebellion in the galaxy's history has begun in the Outer Rim, on planets like Naboo and Bothawui, deemed too unimportant to dedicate resources to, that have spread their dissent throughout the galaxy. You see, if my suspicions were unfounded, then this entire campaign would have been merely a formality. An exercise in redundancy. But, here you are. A Jedi, leading a rebel task force to fight us over a world with supposedly no strategic value. If the Outer Rim was capable of existing within this empire without our interference, we would have been met with open arms, or at least a stern glare. Instead I face open insurrection with support from the rebels, scorched earth tactics, entire factory districts sabotaged to prevent their use."

He glanced up at the space battle. He could just make out the capital ships above through the atmosphere. Looking back at the Jedi, he shook his head.

"The true senseless violence is what I've seen the Rebels do time and time again. At Dark Sun Station, an entire civilian station was ravaged by a terrorist claiming allegiance to the Rebels. At Borleais, I saw the false empress fail to defend her people, starting a battle where none was needed. At the Second Battle of Kuat, I watched friends turn on friends, allies turn to enemies, dock workers gunned down in the name of your rebellion. At Corellia was the first time one of your rebels spoke with me, yet that too ended in bloodshed. I could go on, but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. Across the Sith Empire, the only violence is the violence you bring upon the people you claim to protect."

He lifted his saber into the air, examining it.

"Our weapons are not just for show, of course. Mine are not clean of spilled blood. It would be foolish to believe that there are not those among my peers that would do the same, given the chance. But they would do so without the guise of the greater good looming overhead. If I were to strike you down now, I would not tout my own righteousness, I would not make excuses. I simply would do so, and accept the connotations of that action. The Sith Code is a marvelous thing you see. It encourages personal growth, a burning desire to improve your life by your own hands, rather than accepting the status quo. I could go on, of course, but you came here to be discussed, not to be lectured. Though please, Mordecai is fine. We are not here as warriors, and as such the titles of such are unnecessary at the moment. Only as philosophers."

mavms.png

Mordecai was silent for a moment, musing on her words as they spoke. She spoke with a passive naivety, one that implied she didn't know how the world worked.

"I suppose I do. But forgive me, I must make up for conversations lost. It is rare that the Rebels sit and discuss with any regularity."

At her next comment, he chuckled and motioned to the battle overhead.

"Ah, but would it not be better to stop chaos from embroiling the galaxy to begin with? To stop such horrors before they even begin to take root? Tell me, do you truly believe that taking a life to save many others is any different from conquering one world to save many others from the hardships of war and chaos? As for my sabers, I will admit that I have taken a liking to them. They bring me comfort and wisdom in battles past. If we left ourselves complacent, ignored these outer worlds, then we would not have learned our lesson from history. Since the days of the old Republic, to the Galactic Republic, the Galactic Empire... It matters not the ideals of the ruling power in the galaxy. It is in the nature of the galaxy's inhabitants to seek war. Whether it be for politics, for morals, or sheer animosity, the galaxy has always, and will continue, to devolve into total war without a strong guiding hand. As long as there are those who believe there can be peace for everyone, there will be peace for no one."

He reached behind his head, scooping the hair that clumped around his face from the rain into a loose tie. The hour of battle was nigh. He could sense it. He looked back over to the Jedi, his eyes darkened by his emotions.

"Everywhere I've gone, everything I've seen in all my years of being Sith. It's convinced me that the Jedi are, at worst, complacent to the evils they claim to oppose, and at their worse, openly seditious towards galactic peace. But you can prove me wrong- lay down your arms and surrender here, and I will make sure you and your followers are cared for. But once we battle, I will no longer offer that same guarantee. Is this a risk you are willing to take, Master Leena?"

mavms.png

He seemed to consider the proposal for a moment, but he shook his head sadly, turning to face the woman.

"You and I both know that I cannot do that. To do so would be a failure to my followers, my troops, my comrades. If we tucked tail and ran every time an opponent questioned us, neither of our orders would last very long. I cannot speak for the outliers of my order any more than you can yours, but I can say that Hesperidium was not thrown into the jewel of the galaxy under the guise of peace and all that was right. The man who did so no longer lives- The Sith helped see to that fact. But what of Tobias Voss, who killed countless civilians on Dark Sun? What of Terra, the war criminal who serves amongst your rebels? What of the countless criminals and knaves that you shield because your interests align?"

His saber ignited, and he whipped it's end towards Leena, pointing his blade at her as the rain sizzled against the hot plasma. His face was deep in a scowl, his second saber hissing to life as he stood there. His emotions had taken hold- how dare she sit there and preach of peace and acceptance while her forces assault his own, her allies massacring thousands? While she willfully misinterpreted his words to suit her own gain? This was no debate, no discussion. This was a farce, an opportunity for her to preach why she was better and any who were not with her were villains.

"Draw your blade. I will not strike down an unarmed opponent." his voice was a snarl now- the time for talk was over. The only thing stopping him from cutting her down right now was his honor.

• Like 1

mavms.png

Mordecai sighed. The last Jedi he had fought had tried this. He would give the one before him a final chance, but beyond that, he would strike.

"Unless you intend to surrender, throwing your weapon away will not save you. I have declared my intentions- I will have no qualms about cutting you down. I have been free of my order's beliefs this entire conversation- each belief spoken was my own. That you did not echo that respect shows your character. We clash with blades now, not your empty words."

He would do this fast. He noted where he weapon had fallen. She was tensed, ready to leap. He made a calculation, locating where he hoped she would be when he closed the distance. He lunged forward, his anger filling his legs with energy through the Force, moving faster than one would expect of a man in heavy armor, delivering a stab, not at her, but between her and her weapon in an attempt to catch her as she lunged for it. He used his momentum and his fury to spin into a powerful slash with both sabers, the red blades cutting through the rain with sizzling efficiency. Another slash, quicker this time at the cost of power, towards her face, spinning once more, his feet gliding across the mud as he delivered a fourth blow towards her knees, relentlessly advancing all the while.

He would strike down this pretender, this hypocrite. He would cut her down, he would kill her companions, and he would complete his dominion over this planet. She would not stop him. Her allies would not stop him. The countless rebels above could not stop him. This was his achievement- he would not watch as it was dismantled by rebels who wanted naught but chaos in the galaxy so that they could sink their mangled tendrils into the people of the galaxy once more.

The Outer Rim was his.

((1))

Edited by Mavanger

mavms.png

Mordecai could feel his saber slice into flesh. It was cathartic- this battle was so far removed from the stresses and the weight of responsibility that commanding his campaign often left him with. A welcome change of pace. He had not truly fought since Kuat, and while realistically it hadn't been that long ago, it felt like an eternity. This was a release- his pent up anger and frustration at the locals who defied him. His fury and hatred towards the Rebels who would seek to destroy the only stable government in the galaxy. His disgust for the Imperial Knights and the Jedi Order, who would seek to abolish his order. And there were smaller things too. His grief that still throbbed in his heart at the loss of his friend. His shame that he hadn't been able to avenge him. His pride in the Sith he had trained and at the forces he had gathered. All of it was unleashed here, in this battle, let off the chain that he kept bound so tightly around his emotions.

It was in this haze of battle that he missed the flash of light- he barely managed to cover his eyes with his arms before he was blinded. His eyes throbbed in dull pain, and he blinked rapidly as he opened them. It took him a moment to re-orient himself to her position, but once he had he pressed forward once more, this time pursuing the Jedi directly. He intended to keep her on the backfoot, away from her lightsaber. Beyond that, it was only a matter of getting a few good hits in. He moved quickly, making sure to continue his relentless advance in an attempt to push her back and further away from her weapon. He lunged forward, leading with his left foot as he stabbed towards her stomach with his left saber. His next blow came with his next step, his right saber coming down towards her left shoulder. The next few blows followed suit, Mordecai making sure that with every blow, he attempted to push her back, for her to lose ground. Another blow, from his left saber to her thigh, and one more from his right to her torso, each faster than the next as his emotions flared, fueling his momentum, and fueling each blow with blinding speed.

He had her on the ropes- She wasn't a fighter, clearly. He had experience in combat, training, and equipment on his side, and the power of the dark side flowing through his body with every blow. She was unarmed, and on the backfoot, and yet... She was still dangerous. He knew better than to underestimate his opponents. He had gotten carried away, and he'd lost his momentum for it. He would be foolish to think that was the only trick the Jedi had up her sleeve.

((2))

mavms.png

Mordecai pressed the advance as his emotions, his momentum, and his fervor reached a glorious crescendo. His blades were no longer tools- in this moment, the in the midst of the perfect discourse of battle, they were extensions of his very being. Their humming and whirring as they sliced through the air was like music to him, and he lost himself in their melody. Every blow led into the next, and the next, and the next. Every slash fueled by his anger, his rage. Every step fueled by his pride. With every blow that glanced off the Jedi, his frustrations grew, and he used that frustration to further power his attacks. The dark side was his fuel. He wrenched his strength from it, shaping himself into an unstoppable force of whirling blades and heavy armor. He let out a roar of fury, resolving to end this battle now.

He pressed the advance, his momentum carrying each blade to its next attack. She wasn't attacking, so he would pour all of his power into his attacks to make sure she never got the chance. He unleashed another flurry of attacks, fully releasing himself to the movements of the battle, each attack intended to be a finishing blow, but building to something. First he struck high, for the Jedi's neck. As he did, he used the force in an attempt to pull her closer, a second blow aimed to amputate her legs at the knee. A third and fourth from both sabers intended to remove her arms. Each blow was debilitating in its own right, powerful and fast, fueled by the dark side as he moved in for the kill. He struck at each of her extremities in an attempt to open her guarded center. It was then that he unveiled his finisher. A final blow, a stab, directed straight towards her heart. Into it he poured every ounce of speed and strength he had left, the dark side energies that enveloped the blade cutting at anything that it found in its path.

((3))

• Like 1

mavms.png

Mordecai was thrown backwards by the blast, tumbling through the mud and rocks. He was thankful for his armor- while the shockwave was dangerous, the armor had absorbed most of the damage, and protected him as he tumbled into the ground. Had it not been for that, he likely would have broken many bones, and maybe been defeated. He rolled to his feet, staggering as he righted himself, searching for the Jedi. He spotted her, her white robes sullied with grim from the battle, laying in the mud. Still breathing. He walked over, kicking her saber away with his boot as he reached down, pulling her to her feet by her robes. The fight had left her, he could tell. It wasn't surprising- such a blast was bound to be taxing on any Jedi. He leaned in, whispering into her ear, his voice uncharacteristically soft. He spoke to a fellow warrior now, whether she believed it or not.

"Die on your feet. And if you return- remember what led you here."

He pressed his saber to her sternum, igniting the blade as he did so. When he felt her body grow limp, he released her, letting her crumple to the ground. His exhaustion caught up with him, and he sheathed his sabers. He glanced at the transport he had come with, debating if he should finish them off as well. No. Let her death be enough. He moved back towards the temple, leaving her body to the elements. Her light was already fading from the accursed place with her death. HE could sense what he was looking for, and in a short time, he had found it. A small pyramid, faintly glowing red. A Sith holocron, a locked box containing any kind of useful information, and the Dark Side was the key. He lifted if, placing it into a pouch in his armor. Afterwards, he exited the temple, boarding his shuttle with a message to the remaining rebels.

"Rebel forces. You have lost. Your Jedi lies dead on the planet's surface." The shuttle shuddered as his took off, making a heading for his cruiser in orbit.

mavms.png

When Mordecai returned, it was to a mixed message. On one hand, the rebels had run once their Jedi had fallen. On the other, a not insignificant portion of his fleet was burning. While there seemed to be no lost ships, many had clearly taken heavy damage. It certainly wasn't the sight he expected to return to- It seemed that he would need to have a word with Darth Tyra. He angled his ship towards her cruiser, making a quick journey towards its hangar. Once he landed, he was quickly informed that she was in the medical wing with serious injury. She was alive, then, but injured. He walked briskly towards her room, opening the door and stepping in. He took in her condition for a moment before speaking.

"While I am please to see you live yet, I am most disappointed that in the state of our fleet. We have two cruisers with critical damage, and their frigate escorts received damage as well. The should have been virtually no damage against a lone carrier and its escort. What happened?"

mavms.png

• 3 weeks later...

Mordecai sneered at her nonchalance. She didn't understand the place she had put his campaign in with such a brazen maneuver. Not only would those be precious days lost in the campaign, but to be forced to spend their resources on such extensive repairs so early on... It was an ill omen, to be sure. He growled as she relaxed in her bed, seemingly comfortable with her failure.

"You have become complacent with your title, Kahla. It would do you well to not forget the methods of the Sith- those who are not useful are discarded. I fail to see the use in a commander that cannot win such an easy battle. When I gave you a lordship, I took responsibility for your actions. I put my name behind your own in support. And I promise you, if you bring further disgrace to the Sith Empire, that we will consume your power for ourselves. That is the Sith way. I would recommend, rather than sitting in bed drinking warm tea and hopped up on painkillers to escape the pain that a Sith should embrace, that you should be studying up on battle tactics and honing your own capabilities."

He swiveled on his heel, tossing one more line of warning over his shoulder as he did so.

"The eyes of the Empire are on this campaign. Every victory shall be amplified, but so shall every defeat. You'd do well to remember this conversation in the future."

He stalked out of the room, glancing at his communicator as he received a message. His mood was further soured by its contents. Falleen was subjugated, which was good, but the Hutt lacked the air of a Sith. Though, he knew there was more to the Hutt's attitude than met the eye. From his victory over the Jedi master Sandy Sarna, to his unexpected absences regarding the campaign... Not for the first time, he found himself regretting that Xahl had died before sharing what he had learned. Mordecai had been too busy to devote further time and effort into the matter, but perhaps now it was time to test the Hutt's mettle.

He sent out a transmission to all of his assets in the Outer Rim.

"All forces, prepare for a debriefing in two days time. The first stage has been a resounding success"

mavms.png

Mordecai was only slightly amused by the Hutt's antics- With the successes that he'd achieved, it was clearly a facade, but to what end had yet to be discovered. He was about to send his response when he got a report- The Captain had returned from Falleen. He returned to his command center, where he finally responded to the unruly apprentice that had contacted him.

"Claim Sullust for the Sith, and your deeds will not go unrecognized. When you return, we will finally have an opportunity to speak."

He turned to face Delta as he entered the command center, giving him a curt nod as he gave his report. The people of Falleen had put up a stiff resistance at first, but had been crushed with a swift and violent strike at multiple locations by way of orbital bombardment.

"Good. Resistance was handled swiftly and brutally, and while it was perhaps on the excessive side of things, the results spoke for themselves in this instance. We're receiving preliminary reports from Mon Cal- we lack specifics on the situation, but it seems as though it is a losing battle. You're a veteran of many wars, Captain, what do you think our next move should be?"

Mordecai already had ideas, of course. There were a number of prominent worlds that required his attention, but he wanted to see what the veteran would suggest.

mavms.png

He had been right to discuss this with the Captain, at the very least to confirm his own suspicions. He had spread his forces too far here, and without support from the Dark Lord, that had proven dangerous. He'd been unable to support his allies at Mon Cal much in the way that Delta had suggested. What he did notice was a possible flaw. Reaching towards the projection, he pointed out a missed planet.

"The Rebels know how to fight. One of the failings I've witnessed among the Sith, both in myself and amongst those in power, is that we have not taken this into account. I overextended once, and I was not in a position to aid our allies on Mon Cal. Naboo and Bothawui are both traditionally rebellious locations- planets like them are why I took our forces so far into the Outer Rim. Naboo is one of the most pressing concerns, but there is another that would be problematic if we advanced as you suggest. Pushing beyond Naboo to take Bothawui would leave any remaining forces of the False Emperor at Ryloth behind our lines, and with my forces waning, I cannot risk our supply lines being disrupted by them. Naboo is time-sensitive, I agree. The rebels are likely trying to convince the queen of their politics, and we should stop them before they get the chance to turn Naboo into a bastion."

He pulled up the larger map in the command center, showing the current fronts of the campaign, adjusting it to show what the front would look like if they took Bothawui next.

"If we take Bothawui, Ryloth is squared away on the opposite side of the campaign- I don't with to have a second front in this campaign. In addition, while unlikely, if the Rebels have any presence at Vernzah Torrah, we've put a hostile world in the middle of our supply lines. However unlikely that is, with the Rebels showing the capabilites that they have so far, it is not a risk worth taking. The rebels already know of my presence in the Outer Rim- we shouldn't rush ahead unless absolutely necessary. And if the child wants my head, then she is more than willing to try and take it. I welcome the vacation that killing her would be."

mavms.png

Before Mordecai could respond, the command center lit up with incoming communications, calls and reports streaming in through most of the consoles. As they did, Mordecai felt a shift in the Force, something precious being snuffed out. Dread filled his heart, his vision tunneled on the map, and as if in slow motion, he turned as an officer swiftly approached, a datapad in hand. 

"My lord, we've been contacted by our forces at Mon Cal. They've pulled out. The Krayt's Fury was lost- Captain Jarvus stayed behind to co-ordinate the retreat. No word if he made it out or not."

Mordecai went numb. So that had been it. He didn't need a report to tell him that Jarvus was no longer amongst the living. Mordecai leaned forward onto the table in the command center, the glass flexing under the pressure. His breathing deepened. His rage, always concealed behind a veneer of sophistication amongst his troops, began to show. His face contorted with loss, and the glass under his armored hands began to spiderweb out, disrupting the projection that filled the room. His sorrow and grief were gasoline to the raging fire of his fury, and he struggled to contain it now. His limbs shook, his face a dark reflection of the calm he often showcased. In a shower of glass and sparks, his fist burst through the holotable, briefly darkening the room. A tense silence hung in the air before he spoke.

"Relay my orders. Plot an immediate course for Naboo- returning forces from Falleen and Mon Cal are to rendevous with us there."

mavms.png