The Sorcerer's Story (aka The SS) (Complete)

I didn't beta-read this. I just threw it together on a whim and posted it when I finished, because a little while ago, I noticed there hasn't been any writing for a few days. I wanted to remedy that, and make a strange point in the process. The content is suitable for all audiences.

Many centuries ago, on a unique continent that sank into a sea ”“ or whatever ”“ existed a magical kingdom. Why was the kingdom magical? Probably”¦ because people there could use magic. That's it, actually. People could. So, here we've got this magical kingdom, on this long forgotten, continent, or realm, if you will. The name of this kingdom is not important, because it was forgotten, and presumably it would not have been deleted from history, if it was worth holding onto. No archives. Not locked away. Deleted ”“ like a thread”¦ of fate ”“ from the realm. Forever. Gone!

This magical kingdom was ruled by a powerful king, who sat upon the Jade Throne. From his royal seat, flowed ultimate authority. For years, everything in this kingdom was happy and the people rejoiced in all sorts of communicative and expressive ways. Festivals were held, and much fruit and produce was sold, and music played, and people had what was generally considered to be a good time. The king ruled his kingdom wisely, with a loving hand and a merciful heart. As his kingdom expanded, he appointed dukes, to serve as marshals, overseeing the distant lands, which far from the heart of the capital city, often saw attacks, and random raids. Human invaders, and even bots, or ensorcelled golems rather, would attack and try to disrupt the kingdom from time to time. The dukes helped to combat these periodic invasions, with great success.

One day, a misanthropic sorcerer wandered into the kingdom, avoiding a stir, but seemingly innocuous enough, due to the other disruptions and chaotic invasions on the outlying provinces. This sorcerer sought fame in the battle arena, where fighters would come and challenge one another, employing conventional tactics, but also creativity, which fostered good fun and entertainment for all. The sorcerer excelled too, making a name for himself; albeit a dark one. Over time though, the ruling tribune of dukes, appointed to look over the battle arena, grew on the sorcerer's nerves. They constantly tried to thwart him, mainly out of their own pettiness, or so he believed. They were fools, and their stupidity manifested itself each and every day when the sorcerer came to fight. Over time, he managed to get one of the dukes removed. It was the first of many such triumphs. Eventually, the dukes of all the provinces learned that they could not control this sorcerer. He was far too powerful, and smarter.

Over the years, through honeyed words, lies, antics, and manipulations, the sorcerer had earned himself a reputation. He realized that chaos was more fun than order. Chaos, kingdom wide, was now the goal he set for himself. He began his assault on a special province of the kingdom, characterized by the maidens who dwelt there. It was, in the sorcerer's mind, the ripest zone, most potent for chaos. Now, these maidens were artists, so the sorcerer mocked their work, spread discord, and chased away many fair ladies who had dwelt in peace for years. The King's eyes were set on other, more distant lands, and the dukes appointed to oversee and protect the maidens were never capable of fending off the sorcerer's disruptions. From these episodes, the sorcerer learned that he was invincible, and truly capable of anything.

Simply put, the sorcerer fell from grace. Like lightning from the sky, the blast that would char the land forever took place when the sorcerer decided, in his vanity, to challenge the Jade Throne itself. He wormed his way in, becoming one of the king's most trusted advisors. From this post, the sorcerer would delude the very truth that the king chose to believe. With a skill that can only be called Compulsion, the sorcerer possessed various reputable individuals, controlling them in thrall. These vessels caused chaos, and began attacking the kingdom from within. The Throne was powerless to stop it too. In the midst of the confusion, the sorcerer continued whispering lies and malcontent into the mind of the king, giving him misleading information and deceitful advice. The irony amused the sorcerer.

In all the chaos, and perhaps because of his vanity, the sorcerer overlooked the possibility of what can only be described as divine intervention. Basically, the god of the land revealed to the king that the sorcerer was controlling the minds of those who were causing the chaos. Furious, the king exiled the sorcerer. While upset about what happened, the sorcerer maintained a massive quantity of pride. He had only been defeated because of divine intervention. All conventional means were useless against him.

There was more to this story though. Being exiled and just quitting would have been pretty lame. So, the sorcerer plotted, and planned, and waited, in a place that felt like Purgatory. Or was it Hell? He would not be beat.

Years later, as the king's grasp on sanity began to diminish, the sorcerer approached ”“ from the shadows. With more honeyed speech, he managed to break the ban, and dwell in the kingdom again, under what was explained to be constant vigilance. The sorcerer was overjoyed, because as he predicted, the constant vigilance waned almost immediately. Over time, the sorcerer spread his influence throughout the kingdom, and even set foot in the land of the maidens once again. Initially, he was met with cold reception, which he expected. Subterfuge and masquerade were the sorcerer's specialty though and before long, he gained the trust of those he had injured the most. He even created his own art, on par with that of the maidens, and some of it ”“ even better. The sorcerer even beguiled the greater kingdom, over time, earning numerous awards and rankings, even election into honorary office, placing him among the greatest contributors of the kingdom. How could one who had caused so much destruction, now be showered with praise? It's simple. Because he was a genius.

As the king's sanity fell further into question, a new administrator, or steward, oversaw the kingdom, and the sorcerer's honeyed words were heard in the haven of the ruling council just as before. In time, he even attained a Dukedom of his own, garnering promotion after sweet promotion. It would seem that perhaps this once malicious individual had changed for the better. Was that the case?

The great conclusion of this story was a mystery. After his fall from grace, the sorcerer sat even higher than before, more powerful, and with greater influence. Did he genuinely change for the good? Was his ”œconversion”

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

LOL....that was so amusing, LAP. I liked it a lot. Very funny.

I agree we need more action in this forum. I'm going to make it my goal to right at least something this weekend.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

• 3 weeks later...

That was pretty funny Ben. I enjoyed the read, though I must admit that the entire time I was reading it I thought you were talking about Stephen...

silassig-1.jpg

Proud member of the JNET Addicts Club since November '05