Malism (a challenge response) (Fin)

LAP wanted me to write something, so I told him I'd look at some old challenges and see if something struck me. This did. This answers two challenges--the first one from February 2008 and the seventh challenge from June 2008.

Malism means "the belief that the world is evil". This is just a really short viggie, but I hope you all enjoy it at least a little bit.

The day dawned hot and clear. Just like every other stinking day on Tatooine. I woke just as the rays of the first sun were appearing over the horizon. This was not going to be a good day, I knew it. I wished for anything that I could just lie in bed all day and not have to do anything at all, but I knew that was impossible if I valued my continued existence on this worthless rock.

As I rose from my bed, the afterimages of my dream faded away. I had been a Jedi, as usual. This time though, I had been in a war zone, fighting in a starfighter. The planet was green and lush below me, but it was burning. In my dream I had singlehandedly taken on an entire star cruiser, then landed my ship and defeated a whole battalion of droids with my lightsaber. I sighed. If only. That would be a life of meaning and significance. In a way, I wished the dreams would stop, I reflected as I grabbed a few pallies for my breakfast and headed out. They seemed to only make my life here seem worse. When I was younger, I had been so convinced that someday I would grow up to be a Jedi, no matter how far-fetched that seemed. Oh, the foolishness of a child.

I turned my thoughts away from things I couldn’t change and onto my day. The shop had been doing poorly for the past few years. Some people said it was just rotten luck, but I believed that it was because of the rumors that had reached out here that the Republic was at war. People, I found, were less likely to buy things when the climate was uncertain. Especially because the rumors claimed that no system was safe from the CIA armies; they were known to take some very obscure targets. I wasn’t worried about them taking Tatooine. There was nothing really of value either militarily or strategically here. But it did reflect poorly on the junk business, and that made it hard on everyone.

As I had predicted, the day did not go well. Tempers were running high and nerves thin, and that never makes for a pleasant day no matter who you are or what your status. I had it better than some of the other slaves, for I was too talented as a mechanic to be treated too badly, but it was a long day.

That evening when I returned to my quarters, I found a comm waiting for me from my mother. Despite my dour mood, I hoped that it would be good news. I hit the accept button while pouring myself some blue milk. My mother’s weathered but beautiful face appeared. “How are you doing, Ani? I hope Watto’s not being too harsh on you. I’m doing very well. Owen is a dear step-son. I wish you could meet him. He has a new girlfriend, Beru, and I think she’s lovely. Have you met anyone yet?” I shook my head. Only a mother would ask questions like that. The holo continued. “I have some bad news, though. The harvest isn’t looking so well this year, and Cliegg doesn’t think we’ll be able to afford to free you this season.” I paused the holo as a wave of anger swept through me. Was I ever going to be freed? Was this the life I was destined to lead? I couldn’t help feeling that I had been meant for something more, and that made my position here even more frustrating. I dreamed of the day when I would be free. I would leave this planet behind me and travel the galaxy, seeing what there was to see and being my own master, choosing where I wanted to go, when I wanted to go. I’d take my mom, and Cliegg, and even Owen if he wanted to come.

My anger subsided as I looked at my mother’s face. She was such an example for me. She never gave up hoping. I pushed the play button again. “I know you’ll be mad, Ani, but we can’t help it. Please don’t blame Cliegg. Just keep working hard, and stay on Watto’s good side. I’m sure next season we’ll make enough on the harvest to free you. I love you, my son. I can’t wait until we see each other again.”

The holo ended, and I rose and looked out my window. The setting suns seemed to echo the ache in my heart. Was I ever going to get out of here? Fear curled inside me like a dragon, whispering. Frustration, anger, and hopelessness battled within me, and I found myself clenching my fists. In my heart, the echo of a childish temper tantrum screamed for release. It…it isn’t fair!

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, if the hyperdrive on Queen Amidala’s Nubian cruiser was never leaking.

Edited by Guest

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Woot, obscure word title challenge for the win!

Poor Anakin. Though, in a way, it's a good thing--no Darth Vader. This could spin off onto such a giant, world-changing AU.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I know...it really got me thinking. I mean, the galaxy could have become a different place entirely if only Amidala's mechanics were taking better care of her ship. Or if the ship had got hit one less time when running the Trade Federation blockade (whichever of these caused the hyperdrive to need to be replaced). Just a little thing, a chance event really.

That made get all philosophical and wonder at what little chance events in our lives turn out to be huge things, and we never even knew it.

amipaint2.jpg

The only real critique I have is that the last sentence takes what is subtly implied throughout your vignette and smacks you in the face with it. It's jarringly out of tone with the rest of the piece, and, IMO, a tad superfluous. It would work better without it.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

I thought this was an excellent piece. I don't think I'd want to get out of bed in the morning either, if I were living in slavery, but more appallingly, if I were forced to drink blue milk. Gross! It's no secret that I'm not all that ”œinto”

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Wow. I'm flattered, Ben. I don't really know what else to say except I should think about reading those books.

And Geki, thanks for the review. I actually debated that last line for a while. I agree that it doesn't fit with the tone of the story, but I also wanted the reader to understand what small little thing I changed for my AU. In the end, I left it in, but I certainly debated it. Thanks for your input.

amipaint2.jpg