The Eternal Vigilance (The Maw)

Tarrian Skywalker

As soon as Darex steps foot on Manaan, he feels a connection form between him and the planet. He instantly felt at home. He sees Skye go off on her own and leaves her by herself. He could tell she was doing some serious thinking and meditation.

Darex walks slowly, marveling at the architecture of the Eternal Vigilance, making his way to the med bay. One of the best things about being on Manaan, he mused, is the kolto. I'll be fixed up in no time.

He arrives at the med bay and obtains some kolto. Applying it to his wounds, he starts to feel better immediately.

He then decides that it is time to talk to someone. He had many questions about the Jedi and about his own actions in the battle of Hoth. He decides to seek out Tares Vortex.

FDY9u6P.png

Grand Master of the Jedi Order

Darex is relieved that Tares has time to talk to him. He follows the Jedi to a private room and sits on the floor. He takes a deep breath, and begins to speak.

"When I was back on Hoth, I somehow found myself next to Master Kenobi fighting the Sith Lord Raynuk. How I got there doesn't matter, but what happened there does.

"During the battle, Master Kenobi threw a grenade, sending us all flying. Raynuk was injured, and his lightsaber out of reach. Kenobi and I were unharmed for the most part. We stood and faced the Sith on the ground. The part that I don't understand is here. Kenobi offered Raynuk the chance to escape. However, I couldn't see why. If the Sith was really as evil as the stories I've heard of him, wouldn't it have been better to just kill him and rid the galaxy of another evil? I mean, I'm sure Raynuk has killed thousands of innocent people. Wouldn't it be for the greater good to just be rid of him forever?"

Darex takes a deep breath before continuing. "Anyway, that's what I decided. So I swung at Montar. I wanted to kill him. He avoided my blow and blasted me with Force-lightning. And then he escaped. I don't know if what I did was right. I have been tormented by the thought that I might have touched the Dark Side at that point. I need your advice and opinion."

He looks at the Jedi, waiting for a reply.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex thinks over what Tares told him. You know, that makes a lot of sense. If he thinks I was acting out of instinct and not out of the Dark Side, then I know that he doesn't blame or condem me. He said I must decide what is right and wrong in my own mind. I guess on that battle field, I made my decision. The only reason I have been tormented by it is because of what others might think.

He then sees Skye enter. He immediately is worried at her appearance. Although she looks healthy, he can tell she is troubled. He forces a small smile. "I can leave if you'd like," he tells her.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex ate, listening intently to what Ben'a was saying. He knew it was true and sound advice. When the master left the table, he finished up quickly and turned to Ish and Skye.

"Well, I think we should take his advice," he said slowly. "We should talk. I don't want to fall to the Dark Side, and if talking out our feelings will help, I'm ready."

He got up and found a small room, decorated in a watery theme similar to the planet itself. He sat down and turned to his companions.

FDY9u6P.png

OOC: Thanks Skye. I'm back.

IC: Hunger finally drove Darex out of meditation. He quietly opened the door and headed barefooted towards the mess hall.

He sat down at a table and ate some Traladon ribs and blue milk. It was his favorite dish, and was the first meal he had eaten after he was picked up from Courascant by the Jedi. He remembered the experience as painful, yet exciting. Seeing Indy left behind on the streets while he was taken to comfort and safety was one of the hardest things he'd ever gone through. He had never forgotten that day. It had changed his life.

He briefly wondered what his friends were up to. He had gotten a feeling of peace and happiness from Skye about 15 minutes ago, so he felt assured that she was alright. Ish was feeling excitement and peace as well. Darex concentrated on their locations as a Force-excercise. Skye was running with Master Tares, and Ish was in his room. Darsha was in a room with Master Ryoo.

He gave a mental sigh. I feel so useless. What am I supposed to be doing???

He decided to wander the ship a little, trying to use the Force to figure out who or what was in the next room. He stood up, disposed of the rest of his meal, and headed out.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex wandered the halls, admiring the ancient artistic themes of each room. He came to one themed as a jungle, one as a savanna, and one like an ocean similar to the natural state of the planet the Jedi were on. Other rooms were less elaborate, yet still beautiful.

He eventually came across the arboretum. He walked among the plants, enjoying the feeling of the Force radiating off of them. It seemed so alive, and made Darex feel grateful that he was alive as well.

Eventually, he convinced himself to leave the arboretum and continue on with his exploration. Every now and then, he passed another Jedi, and nodded respectfully, but didn't speak. He focused on the living Force that he had reveled in in the arboretum. He tried to pick up the same feeling from the other living beings on the ship.

I need to train, he decided as he passed his quarters for the third time. I have nothing to do. At least back on Hoth Ben'a and Orrick had classes for hopefuls. He fingered the lightsaber hanging on his belt. He felt no emotional connection to it, as it was not his. He decided that he would seek out Orrick, Ben'a, or another master. I can return the lightsaber and ask about training for myself and the other Master-less hopefuls.

He headed off to the council chambers, hoping to catch some of the masters leaving.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex reached the council chambers, but found them deserted. Where is everyone? he thought.

He tried to sense their presences with the Force, but he didn't know them well enough to distinguish them from everyone else quite yet. Plus the fact that he had never been officially trained in that area.

So, now what should I do? I could go talk to someone...Skye is busy, he thought, reaching out to her. Ish is in the arboretum. I don't know if he wants to be disturbed though.

He stood aimlessly outside the Council chambers, then started walking again.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex turned to the apprentice that had walked up to him. "No, I'm not lost--just a little bored. Thanks for the offer. I'm Darex, by the way," he said, sticking out his hand.

The apprentice introduced himself as Onderin Starlisk, Keiran's padawan.

"Nice to meet you," Darex replied. He stretched out with the Force, finally sensing Ben'a's presence. "I'm going down to see Master Ben'a. I think he's in the same room as Master Tares. Would you like to accompany me?"

FDY9u6P.png

The Padawan and hopeful walked in right as Ben'a started to speak and ask permission to go on a mission. Master Ben'a, I know exactly how you feel--except you can do something about it, Darex thought wistfully. Well, you've given me the perfect oppourtunity to spring my proposal, anyway.

He spoke up in the silence following Ben'a's words. "Excuse me Master Ben'a, but I have a proposition. There are still many hopefuls like myself staying here on Manaan. We have nothing to do, no way to help, and very little training. Back on Hoth, you were teaching us the basics of Force-use. We would be very obliged and relieved, I am sure, if you would pick up with those lessons again. At least I would feel that way.

"And if it's not too bold to say master," Darex added, fervently hoping not to offend the Jedi before him, "It would be very useful. We are desperate to be able to use this Force flowing inside us, but do not know how. We have been trying to learn things on our own and work on the things you last taught us. However, just like you, I find myself aimlessly wandering the ship with nothing to do."

He took a deep breath and waited for an answer from the master.

FDY9u6P.png

OOC: Fine then, just ignore me.

IC: Darex was surprised that he had been ignored by Ben'a and the other masters. It's not like I only said 'hello' and then left.

He stood akwardly as one by one, the Jedi left the room. He had been surprised to see Skye in the room. As she passed him, she quietly told him that Tares was her new master. Darex felt a little jealous, but at the same time, happy that Skye was getting the opportunity to continue her training.

In the meantime, what can I do? I'm stuck here, not being any help at all.

He decided to head to the arboretum and talk to Ish.

FDY9u6P.png

Sensing Ish leave, Darex changes his course. I'll talk to him when he gets back, he thought.

He heads towards the council chambers yet again. As he was already close by, he arrives there quickly. Inside, he finds Master BLCKCLONE deep in meditation. He is hesitant to rouse the master, however, he speaks up.

"Master, I wish to return this lightsaber to you," Darex says, holding out the handle. "It was given to me during our evactuation of Hoth for added protection. Now that the threat is over, I feel that I should return it. I do not have enough training to be worthy of carrying it."

((OOC: Edited because I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do))

FDY9u6P.png

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: Whew! That was a lot of reading!

IC: Darex came out of meditation. He felt like he had just woken up from a long nap, but was very refreshed. He felt more at peace, having connected himself with the living Force more deeply than he had ever done before. It seemed to him that new possibilities had opened themselves to him.

I may not have a master yet, he thought, but I can still grow more in tune to the Force and work on my battle skills. I can also hone in on the things I've already learned.

He walked to the mess hall, observing the cheerful party eating there. He grabbed some food and approached them.

"Hello," he said, smiling. "I don't think I've met all of you. I'm Darex Trevelian."

FDY9u6P.png

Hearing no response as the group was deep in cheerful conversation, Darex shrugs and walks over to a nearby table, feeling only a little bit lonely.

All of my friends that I made on Hoth are pretty much gone training, he sighed. I really miss Skye right now. She always had something interesting to say and would always make me stop feeling sorry for myself.

At the same time, I don't regret her leaving with Master Tares, he thought as he ate in silence. I hope she's learning healing. I know she'll be wonderful at it.

Darex chewed quietly as he thought of Skye.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex smiled at Malak. "Not at all. I've been wanting to meet some of the new people around this place. I was just introducing myself. Are you a Jedi Knight?"

No sooner were the words out of his mouth when he heard a voice inside his head. He instantly recognized it as Skye's. He was shocked at how clearly she could express herself through the Force.

"I'm back Darex”¦ I'll catch up with you soon”¦ I have some news for you and someone that I want you to meet! We have to go to the Council Chambers now but I hope that we can catch up later”¦say hi to Ish for me”¦”

FDY9u6P.png

"Yeah, I'm waiting. I've been waiting about two months now," Darex replies, although without bitterness. "I arrived right before the attack on Hoth, so I was busy in the beginning, but not much has been happening since then. I'm not entirely convinced that that's a bad thing though."

"Hi Darex, how've you been?" Ish's voice bursts through the conversation as the fellow hopeful strides up.

"Not bad, Ish. How are you? Whatever happened on Courascant? Last I know you were headed there, weren't you? Oh...Skye says hi by the way," Darex added with a grin.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex was intrigued by Ish's tale. "It looks like you've been having some adventures, my friend. Yes, I've been on the Vigilance all this time. There's really no place else for me to go. All of the available masters come here to get apprentices, and becoming a Jedi is all I want to do."

He smiled. "We're in the same boat, but you seem to have a prospective master anyway."

He noticed Mara getting up and slipping away. He thought of speaking up, but she appeared to be wanting some time alone, so he chose not to. I've heard stories about women when they're that pregnant anyway, he thought. Very unpredictable.

He turned back to Ish. "How long do you think the council will be in session?" he asked. "It'll be nice to see Skye again."

FDY9u6P.png

"I don't know what it's about," Darex replies. "I just got the feeling from Skye that it was important."

Darex looks up at the newcomer. "You're not disturbing our conversation at all. Welcome Kamsie. I'm Darex. You're Caamasi, aren't you? What makes a member of such a peace-loving species desire to join the Jedi? If you don't mind my asking, of course," he added hastily.

You really need to learn some people skills, he thought.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex noticed a sudden saddness come over the Caamasi, but didn't mention it. "That makes sense. I admire you for your choice, Kamsie. It would not be an easy decision to make."

The group chatted a little and Kamsie asked why Darex and Ish joined the Jedi. Darex was immediately thrust into memories of his past. As he sorted through them, deciding what to say, he let Ish speak first.

When Ish finished, Darex was impressed. "On the contrary Ish...I think that a Jedi scientist is a very noble job. I've often consulted Jedi scientists for information, and I find that they are the wisest people in the universe."

He took a deep breath and smiled at Ish and Kamsie. "Unfortunately, my tale is not as easy to tell. It all starts in the beginning when I was seven years old. I'm an orphan--my parents were killed soon after I was born. I don't remember anything about them. My earliest memory is meeting my first friend. Her name was Indy and she was a Codru-Ji. How we survived, I hardly know, but we stuck together on the streets of Courascant.

"Anyway, we continued like that until I was seven. One day, we were attacked by a group of thugs. We were tough kids, but no match for a group that size. Suddenly, a lightsaber flashed out of nowhere and a Jedi appeared. Needless to say, the thugs ran for their lives," Darex smiled at the memory.

"The Jedi then turned to Indy and I. He could feel the Force flowing in my veins. He asked me if I knew anything about the Force. I replied that I had heard of it, but knew nothing about it. We found a safe location to spend the night and the Jedi explained to us about the Force. He told me that a Jedi was one who served the light side of the Force and used it for good.

"Indy and I were very impressed. We were young, and this Jedi had saved us. I think the seeds of hero-worship were planted that day," Darex said with a chuckle. "To make a long story short, the Jedi told me that I had the potential to become a Jedi just like him. Indy and I were shocked at this wonderful twist of fate, and we told him that we would go with him. However, he said that Indy was not Force-sensitive--only me.

"We were horrified at the thought that we might be seperated. I was all for giving up my future with the Jedi, but it was Indy that encouraged me to follow this path. 'You can protect the entire galaxy,' she told me. 'You can encourage peace and explore countless cultures. Do it. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine.'

"So I left with the man. He took me to the Jedi temple on Naboo and that's where I spent the rest of my growing up years. I was surrounded by Jedi day and night, but I wasn't allowed to train yet. So I studied in the Jedi library almost constantly so that when I was allowed to start my training, I'd have a background of information and could become the best Jedi I could.

"The rest, you know," Darex said, finishing. "I've often wondered what happened to Indy, but I get the feeling that I'll never see her again."

He took another deep breath. "Sorry--that was longer than I expected."

He was about to smile when suddenly a cold chill raced down his spine. He froze. Only once before had he felt this way and that was on Hoth when he was confronting the Sith. Something beckoned, calling him. But as quickly as the feeling came, it was gone.

Darex shook off the feeling and turned back to the conversation.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex was listening to the conversation around him when suddenly he felt someone grab him from behind. "Hi guys. Did you miss me?" came a voice.

"Skye!" Darex whirls around and gives her a hug. He listens to her gush about discovering her half brother and chuckles. "That's wonderful news. But calm down a little before you have a heart attack!"

Ish spoke up. "So how has your training been going?...I can sense that you are much stronger than you used to be."

Darex turns, interested to hear the story as well. "Yeah, you're the only one of our little group that has taken steps toward knighthood. What's it like?" He can't resist throwing a pretend microphone in her face and turning to Ish. "Get your datapad ready! This will make the headline of the nightly holo-news!"

FDY9u6P.png

Darex enjoys the brief time spent with Skye. However, the time ends and she soon leaves.

Darex turns back to Ish. "Our friends stay put about as long as a wampa with a way off Tatooine," he chuckled. "I guess that's the life of a Jedi though."

He fell silent after saying this, thinking and opening himself up to the Force. It washed over him, and he caught an echo of that icy darkness he had felt earlier. It scared him, and he wondered what was causing the feeling.

Darex stood up. "Well, I'd better get some rest. It's been a long day. I'll meet you here tomorrow for breakfast as long as nothing happens," he said with a smile. "See you around."

He walked out of the mess hall, stopping only to check on Kamsie. After seeing that the Caamasi was asleep, he turned and headed to his quarters.

Upon arriving there, he took of his boots and sat crosslegged on the floor. The light side of the Force whispered to him, but he couldn't understand what it was saying. He continued to meditate over the day.

FDY9u6P.png

The darkness in the room threatened to overcome him. It was cold and made Darex feel that he could never have any hope. He walked through the empty corridor, following a silent call. He came to a large room. Inside, he saw two people clashing lightsabers.

He moved closer, though trying to keep out of sight. His heart raced. He tried to make out who was fighting. Ducking down behing a crate, he gasped when he saw what was happening.

One person was someone that Darex had never seen before. However, he knew somehow that it was the Dark Lord of the Sith. The other, breathing hard, was Skye. A body lay on the floor, and Darex could tell that it was Tares.

He watched the battle, unable to move and help. The Dark Lord spun and slashed horizontally with his blade, catching the tip of Skye's lightsaber and flinging it wide. Skye hurried to bring the blade back around, but the Dark Lord was quick. With a flick of the wrist, Skye's blade went flying towards the spot that Darex was hiding. Skye reached out with the Force and tried to call the lightsaber back to her, but the darkness was overcoming her. The weapon skittered toward her and then stopped.

"It's over," came the voice of the Dark Lord. "Surrender to the Dark Side. Give in to your anger!"

"No," Skye struggled, her voice barely a whisper. "I won't give in."

"Foolish girl. Only by surrendering to your hatred will you save the ones you love."

"You already killed my master and my brother."

"There is another that will be very...sad...to hear of your death," the man said evilly.

Skye gasped. "Don't hurt him. He has no training."

"The means of Darex's death has already been set into motion. Your other friend, Ish's, has already been carried out. Give in to the Dark Side and I might be able to spare Darex's life."

Darex could see the struggle in Skye's eyes. He tried to yell, to tell her that he'd be fine, but no words came out of his mouth.

A look of resolve came over Skye's face. "No. I won't give in."

"Then die," the Dark Lord said simply. Arcs of lightning raced out of his fingertips. Skye screamed in pain, writhing on the floor in agony.

Darex cried out, his voice finally coming to him. "Skye!!" He tried to stand, but his feet were rooted in place. He had no weapon, no training. There was nothing he could do but stand there and watch her die.

Darex woke with a start, breathing heavily and drenched in sweat. For a moment, he thought he could still hear Skye's screams. It was just a dream. I was just a dream, he told himself.

He went to the 'fresher and splashed some cool water on his face, trying to wash away the memory of the nightmare.

I need to do something. I need to train. I can't let that nightmare become reality, he thought. Another voice chastised him.

Patience, Darex. A Jedi has patience.

"But the mission that all the Jedi are leaving on has something to do with the Sith, he argued with the voice aloud. "What if they're going to confront the Dark Lord? It could happen."

Calm down and think, the voice advised him.

"Okay, let's see," Darex said, continuing to speak out loud since he was in the privacy of his own room. "Skye and a bunch of other Jedi are leaving on a mysterious mission. It has to be dangerous, or else the council would only send two or three Jedi. I must have been thinking about that when I fell asleep and that's why I dreamed about it."

What about Skye? the voice pushed.

"I just saw her again after a month or so. That memory was fresh in my mind," Darex said, trying to rationalize all the pieces of the dream.

What about what the Dark Lord said?

"He said...that he would kill all those who loved Skye. Tares, her brother, Ish, and me. I guess that proves that I still love her," Darex said, surprising himself.

He continued to think for fifteen minutes when the grumbling of his stomach interrupted him. He grabbed a quick shower and headed to the mess hall to meet Ish.

FDY9u6P.png

Darex saw Camsie sit down at the table, but get up and leave quickly. Darex had been about to say something, but he shrugged it off. Obviously the Caamasi wasn't in the mood to talk.

He sighed. Ish was...in the training room, he discovered through the Force. Actually, that sounds good right now. I need to practice.

Darex stood up, leaving his untouched breakfast on the table, and headed to the training room. Seeing Ish springing off the walls, Darex smiled and gave a great Force-leap, flipping in mid-air. The moment his feet touched the ground, he spun and Force-sped across the room towards Ish. To an outsider's eye, it would appear that Darex was going to run smack into Ish, but the Force told Darex at the last possible second when to jump. He flipped over Ish and landed with a broad grin.

"I thought you might enjoy some company," he said.

FDY9u6P.png

• 7 months later...

A small New Republic shuttle lands at the Eternal Vigilance, using Darex's code to clear the landing. Once down, he programmed the computer to clear R6 and his X-wing, then moved back to Shy.

"Welcome to Maanan. The planet is covered in oceans, and because of this, it emits a speacial radiance in the Force."

He smiled again and opened the hatch. "This place was once used as a Jedi base, but it's location was thought to be compromised, and the Jedi moved on."

He shrugged. "There has been no evidence of any attacks on this base so far, so perhaps the move was unneccessary. It doesn't matter."

He stepped down the ramp and drank in the peaceful serentity that rolled off this place in waves. He felt traces of recent occupation as well. He wondered who had come here. The mystery will give me something to do in my free time, he said to himself nonchalantly.

He turned to Shy. "Feel free to explore. The rooms on this ship are themed, so there is a lot to discover. When you are ready...come to me. We can talk, or train, or whatever. Understand Shy--your healing is the most important thing to me right now."

FDY9u6P.png

He was surprised at first, but then let himself return her embrace. He wished he could tell her how he felt about this whole situation, but he couldn't find the words to say, and he knew this was not the time to try and do so. That time would come when it came.

For now, he nodded, catching the deeper meaning behind her words. He even smiled at her jab, even though the reference still stung a little. "Don't worry about that. I promise you it will never happen again."

He watched as she headed off, and then walked off himself. He wanted to pick up who had been here and why the place felt even stronger in the Force than it had before.

He found himself on a tram headed towards the center of the Vigilance. He wondered what was there. He knew it would have to be something extrordinary, but what, he couldn't decide.

Finally, the tram stopped and Darex stepped out. Suddenly, he knew what it was. Seven holocrons surrounded him, and two lit up on his approach. Excited in a Jedi way, Darex sat down Indian-style on the floor. A hologram came up from one of the glowing holocrons.

"Greetings, Jedi Knight," it said. The image was that of a female human, clad in traditional Jedi robes. "I am Shi Ty, guardian of this holocron. All information is available to you. Where would you like to begin?"

FDY9u6P.png

Darex smiled. He hadn't known there were holocrons on board the Vigilance. "My name is Darex Trevelian," he introduced himself. "Have these holocrons been accessed by any other Jedi recently? I sense the traces of a friend of mine."

"Indeed," Shi Ty told him. "I believe his name was Ish Ka Bibl."

Darex smiled. "Ish is a good friend of mine," he said. "It's good to know that he's taking care of himself."

"But you did not come here to seek news of your friend," Shi Ty said in a reprimanding tone. "Your heart is in turmoil, and I sense your path has not been an easy one."

Darex's smile disappeared. "Your senses serve you well. My path as a Jedi has been curious. It started before I was even chosen as a Jedi. I grew up in the Temple on Naboo from a young age. When I finally came of age to be trained, I went to Hoth, seeking out a Jedi to train me."

"And I sense you met someone there?" Shi Ty prompted.

"Yes. Her name is Skye Organa. I...I think for a while I believed myself in love with her. But it wasn't meant to be. She was chosen as an apprentice, and she left. I didn't see her for some time."

He paused for a moment. "And then the waiting. After the temple on Hoth was destroyed in a Sith attack, I moved here, to Maanan. Eagerly, I waited for a master to choose me. After about a month, the location of this ship was thought to be disclosed to our enemies, and so it was abandoned. I moved around a bit during this time, until the Jedi formed a Dojo on Borleais.

"At this point, I had waited for about 4 months. I was beginning to lose hope. I taught myself a few techniques and immersed myself in the Force. My friends that I had met along the way were trained, and came back to find padwans of their own. And still I waited. I had doubts that I was meant to take this path at all. But something called to me, telling me to have patience, and wait a little longer."

"Hmph," Shi Ty interrupted. "It was right."

He smiled. "Yes, I see that now. I learned patience, among other things. It has helped make me unique. But anyway, one day Skye came to Borleais. It turned out that she had come to take me as an apprentice."

"And how did you feel about that?"

"Unsure. I still had not fully dealt with the extent of my feelings towards her. But it turned out that it didn't matter. She had...turned away from the Jedi, for the most part, and met this man. She trained me, and I passed my trials."

Shi Ty seemed to think for a moment. "Your voice has conclusion in it, but I feel the story does not end there."

"No," Darex agreed. "I went to Borleias and took on an apprentice, Shy-Ree."

"Ah, yes," Shi Ty said. "The one you brought here with you."

"She's wonderful. She was so vibrant, so full of life and firey spirit. We started to train on Dagobah. Then suddenly, she was taken from me. I had left the planet, thinking she would follow. But she was confronted by a dark man with glowing eyes. I landed as soon as I realized this, but it was too late. He saw me, and then grabbed her, pulling her into a portal of some kind. I don't know where it went to.

"I felt like I had abandoned her. And the only thing I could think of to do was go after her. So I employed the help of my old Master. We found Shy on Coruscant, with her new Master. The man gave her the choice though. She...she decided to rejoin me. I think the man, Evan Kerry, is in love with her. He left to report to the Rebel officers about his time witht eh Empire."

"And what does Shy think of this?"

"I don't know," Darex said. "She's so silent now. She's like a different person entirely. I don't know what to do to help her."

He finished his tale and looked up at the ancient Jedi Master. "I would appreciate your wisdom."

FDY9u6P.png