Space

Ary the Grey

Nia was shocked at Beth's reaction, shrinking away as she spoke to Mjan. She wasn't a confrontational woman, and they'd seemed to have touched a nerve. Some of what the Imperial said held water, but Nia couldn't help but wonder at the venom in the pilot's voice as she spoke. Perhaps this alliance wasn't as harmonious as the leaders wanted to believe. When Beth spoke to her, Nia found her hands fidgeting again.

"My apologies, Lieutenant. I didn't intend to offend you." she said quietly, her fears realized as she realized her question had landed her in hot water with the other woman. She could feel herself blushing, though whether that was due to shame or embarrassment, or both, she couldn't tell. She nodded at her Master's suggestion, meekly following Beth into their quarters. She didn't have much, herself. She'd brought nothing with her aside from a single change of clothes, which had been left in the temple on Felucia, and her father's lightsaber, which sat snugly in her robes.

She sat on her bed, closing her eyes, intending to meditate, but she opened them at Beth's question. Whatever anger she'd seemed to have possessed a moment ago seemed to have passed. Nia hesitated before she spoke, picking her words carefully.

"I am from Glee Ansem. My mother is in politics, and I came here to begin my training as a Jedi."

She didn't elaborate. It was... strange, to be talking about herself like this, in casual conversation. 

"Where are you from?" she asked, her curiosity and need to know slowly overcoming her nervousness. Beth seemed human, or close to it. She knew humans had many offshoots, considered 'near-humans', but they were scattered across the galaxy. She could be from anywhere, from any walk of life. It intrigued the Jedi.

nnia.png

• 3 weeks later...

Nia was silent for the rest of the walk. It wasn't that she didn't have anything to say in response, only that she didn't know how to say it without touching a nerve. She'd never med people like Beth, or Mjan, or Kel before. Her life at home had been largely secluded. Her friends were her books and her research was her hobby. She'd never needed to meet anyone else aside from quick, formal meetings whenever her Father had come with guests or her mother had attended a meeting, the latter of which she stopped going to at a young age. She had known that would change upon joining the Jedi order, but she didn't expect it to happen so suddenly. 

"I'm sorry for your losses, Lieutenant."

She spoke quietly, and then was silent once more as they reached Mjan and he began his lecture. She listened aptly- she knew little of the Jedi, and any teaching that that he gave to the pilot were lessons she'd do well to take in as well.

"I have a question, master. If the Jedi are supposed to reject attachments, why was my father allowed to have a family?" she asked.

nnia.png