Chandrila

Tarrian Skywalker

Piotr was silent for a while after she spoke, contemplating her words. It hadn't occurred to him that the Imperial Knights might take their jobs so seriously. He wondered if they were all this steadfast in their beliefs, or if he had just happened upon one of their zealots. Either way, for the time being at least, he was stuck with her. It was worth seeing what made her tick. 

"But that seems rather ineffective, doesn't it? How much manpower is wasted on the off chance someone decides to be a Sith or start killing people with the Dark Side?"

In truth he knew the ignorance of his words- It was like suggesting a sovereign power shouldn't maintain a military because who would want to hurt them? But that didn't matter- Some of the best and most genuine reactions he got out of people were from the times he was being intentionally dense with the worst takes imaginable. Would she respond with anger that he be so insolent? Pity at his apparent stupidity? Understanding of his ignorance? Much could be gleaned from how someone responded to ignorance.

"I think we'd be better off leaving the Force shenanigans to the Jedi and the Sith. It's not our business."

• Like 1

mav.png

He smiled- It had worked. She spoke her mind, beyond the mantras and doctrines of the Imperial Knights. She was a protector. She wanted to keep everybody safe, and he would wager that if she didn't reign in those ideals, she would wear herself thin. Still, it gave him something to work with. He shrugged earnestly, coming clean to his actions.

"I must admit, the things I said were purposely inflammatory. You don't get a reputation for garnering reactions in the Imperial court without knowing what to say to get such a reaction. But even if I wanted to serve on the line for as long as it took, it must get tiring being forever wwdatchful. Surely, the fight must end eventually. You must aim for a time you can lay down your weapons and return home, otherwise what's the point?"

He stood, gazing at the remnants of her projections, shaking his head. "What's more, if numerous Jedi couldn't stop such beasts from ravaging entire worlds, what am I going to do? What are you going to do? Do you believe that you could do better than Jedi Masters and entire planetary defense forces? That's the height of arrogance, even more so, it's dangerous to assume I, unarmed and untrained in the ways of the Force, could do any better than merely be a speedbump on the Sith road to victory."

"Make no mistake, I'm here to clear my name, to return home and live a humble life next to my family on Carida, but it's been made clear to me that won't happen until I serve with distinction in the Imperial Knights. So I won't resist your training, but if you expect me to meaninglessly throw myself against eldritch horrors so that I can be added to their body count, you're wrong."

• Like 2

mav.png

• 2 weeks later...

His voice was quiet as to not alert those fixated on them of their conversation as they were introduced.

"Is that truly your hope? That I see such horrors that I cannot go back to a normal life? If that's what the knights rely on for retention, then we live in a sorry galaxy indeed."

Piotr chuckled, nodding humbly as they were introduced, stepping forward in sync with his new guardian as his demeanor shifted. This was his domain. She was visibly uncomfortable- It hadn't occurred to him that she might not have been acclimated to such things, or that her station, even as a knight, might be considered below such occasions. He felt a twinge of pity. It was always a sharp contrast to his own life, witnessing how the court treated those outside of it.

"Don't worry, as soon as they know why I'm here, I'll likely quickly overtake you in the topics of conversation. It's not often the heir of a house is forcibly conscripted into the Imperial Knights."

As they approached the Lord Commander, Piotr straightened his posture. "Lord-Commander, it's a pleasure to meet you. My father has told me of your heroism at Kuat. You do your station justice."

In truth, he wanted nothing more than to slink off and listen into court gossip, stirring the pot where he could. But he knew that would only make his current predicament worse. Badmouthing a lesser district governor was much less harmful than speaking out of turn to the Lord-Commander of the Imperial Knights, someone who could actively make his family's life difficult if he was offended.

mav.png

• 4 weeks later...

Piotr grinned as their company drew more Imperial Knights- a welcome distraction from the Lord Commander's family attempting to wed him to their daughter. It would hardly do him any good to return in a week with a woman on his arms, proclaiming himself a changed man, as humorous as the idea was. No, he was much more intrigued by the two new arrivals. A man of clearly noble birth, but with table manners nearly as poor as his own, and another Harlequin, an alien, one who seemed unsure of her place here. Another opportunity to test his newfound allies, and his current host.

"Please, don't apologize. We're all allies here, there's no reason you shouldn't join us for a meal. I believe this gentleman was just about to regale us with stories of his valor?" He shot a glance at the other newcomer as he spoke.

He was vastly overstepping his bounds- The Empire had a relatively strict caste system, one that lowborn aliens often found themselves at the bottom of. Even outside of that, he was not the host, and to invite a guest to the host's table could be considered a massive faux pas. He glanced at Montjoye- She could probably put together what he was doing. He'd done it to her not a few hours ago, feigning ignorance for an honest look at her character. She had every opportunity to spoil this attempt, but would she?

• Like 1

mav.png

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. The Lord Commander either didn't care about his remark, or didn't think it was worth addressing in the moment. Regardless, it made sense that a man of such station wouldn't react to such provocations easily. Still, it was best if he behaved himself for the rest of the dinner, at least as much as he was able. It seemed their table was growing rapidly, and with several esteemed persons. The Lord Commander Raphanel and the legendary exorcist Kyrie, in one place? Something interesting was bound to happen, whether he instigated it or not. He bowed his head respectfully, giving a lopsided grin.

"It seems I have misread the room. A pleasure to meet one as esteemed as yourself, Master Kyrie. I hate to kill the mood, but if we're going to Falleen to root out the last of the Sith, should I not have... any training before I go? Not that I doubt the abilities of any present, it just seems foolish to take me without any sort of training or equipment, where I would only be a hamper on your abilities."

• Like 1

mav.png

Piotr crossed his arms, pulling his hand away from the young daughter of the Lord Commander's house. His expression darkened- it seemed his reason for being here did not entire slip away unnoticed. Still, their responses were not wholly comforting. He was caught in a hard place here- His most appealing option was to shut up and take his licks, and risk some of the most powerful and influential figures in the Alliance thinking him nothing more than a spoiled brat. Which, of course, he was, but such things became much more uncomfortable when pointed out by others.

Unfortunately, that left him in the same place that had gotten him assigned to the Knights in the first place. A blight on his father's precious House. Such a position wouldn't help his current situation in any form. And so, he would have to take the less favorable option. Defend himself and risk angering some of the most powerful and influential figures in the Alliance. He hated politics.

When he spoke, he kept his voice low and level, not hiding his anger at the situation, but keeping it from those not present for the conversation.

"Lord Commander, while I appreciate that lives will be lost in any serious endeavor against the Sith, I did not think a man of your talents and station would be so eager to send an untrained and unequipped man to his death; and though my valor and my privilege have every reason to be called into question given my reputation's stain upon my house, I find it telling that what has called it into question is that I'm concerned about what it means to be dragged into battle of potential Sith Lords with no training against such foes, not equipment save the clothes upon my back."

He took a deep breath- He could only imagine what his father would do had he heard that outburst. When he spoke again, the anger was gone. Any pretense of jest or petty tomfoolery were gone now, and any who had met those of his line would recognize the determination in his eyes.

"I apologize for my outburst, I don't mean to imply that any of you are blind to the deaths of your peers and your people. But I have been a member of this Knighthood for less than a week, and all I have heard is how I will die a glorious death for the Emperor against the horrors of the Sith, and if I dislike that, I can retire to a farm and die an old forgotten fool who cowered at the first sight of danger when in reality I am only requesting the tools necessary to survive this trial by fire."

• Like 1

mav.png

Piotr took a deep breath as he stared at the steak knife in the chair. Any words of retort were quickly shut down by the Lord Commander's words, and likely for the better. He bowed his head in humility as he was offered equipment from Lord Raphanel's own house. This was a chance to repair some of the damage that had been done, and he would take it.

"Your generosity humbles me, Lord Commander. I will make sure to find my own in time so that I may return these to your House, where they belong."

He pulled the steak knife from his chair, tilting his head to the Inquisitor as he did so. This wouldn't be the last time they would clash, he was sure. But then, had he expected any less? The man had a vested interest in protecting his order from charlatans and traitors, and his own reputation wasn't exactly stellar. Whether the inquisitor knew the specifics of why he was here or not, it was bound to cause conflict. Still, there were more pressing matters at hand it seemed. He let his smile return as he lifted his glass.

"And I would be honored to learn under a master such as yourself, Master Kyrie. I'm sure that even in the limited time we have before going to Falleen, I will be able to learn much from you."

• Like 2

mav.png