Chandrila

Tarrian Skywalker

"Are you a Sith?"

Moon smiled, but did not answer immediately. She simply stared at the Epicanthix, letting his suspicions sink in. She carefully watched his dagger-ready hand, watching as he white-knuckled the hilt. She also noticed the ruby and admired at the beautiful craftsmanship of the weapon. Doubting that he was going to act against her, she took a half-bow, and, while raising her head from the bow, spoke.

"I am no Sith, nor may I be truly called a Jedi." She said, smiling softly, in an attempt to ease the man's suspicions. "What brings you to come to that conclusion? To have done so with such certainty would suggest that you share a connection with the Force." As she spoke, the yellow in her eyes flared as the Dark Side within her urged her to strike the man for insulting her; however, in response she only smiled. This man didn't insult her nor did he deserve a scolding, he was merely being cautious. Moon understood his accusation.

"Furthermore," she began, "what brings you to this humble backwoods planet?"

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Draconis offered a slight frown at the near-human's reply to his question. His mentor had taught him about the Jedi and the Sith and their differences. But Draconis had never stopped to think about if there was anything in between, nor had his mentor mentioned it. But if this wasn't some kind of Sith ruse--and it didn't seem so, the woman looked so honest--then it meant there existed Force sensitive creatures not of light or dark... but more of some kind of shade of gray. Intrigued, Draconis listened closely to the questions of this newly met white-faced woman before answering, trying to project determination and honesty through his words.

"Yes, yes I do have a connection to the Force, it was what brought me here. I could... I could sense you. You felt uncertain, ominously so. I'm sorry, it's none of my business. And as for why I'm here? I just stopped by to get supplies for a journey. I'm searching for the Jedi Order, so that they might train me in their ways."

Draconis relaxed his grip on the dagger, eagerly awaiting the alien's reply... he had a feeling about this meeting. A good one.

Moon's eyes lit up with an almost childish glee, as did her Force Aura. She smiled and walked towards the man, reaching out her bionic arm - then retracting it, as it may have startled the stranger - but kept closing the distance between the two. She projected calm, adding to her own caution.

"So, it is the ways of the Jedi you wish to learn, eh?" She smiled. "I am no Jedi, but I have been trained in all of their arts. I am a Knight within the Order, however I did have a brief interaction with the Dark Side of myself. I am willing to train you if you wish to learn from me, however..." Moon trailed off, looking to the darkening evening sky. "If you wish to find someone else to train you, I also understand. I am rather... unorthodox. What you know about the Force probably pertains to there being two sides - a Light and a Dark - however, and take this lesson with you, I assure you that there are no sides to the Force."

When Moon stopped, she turned back towards her ship and gathered up her spare parts, wrapping them up again and placing them back in her cockpit.

She then turned back to him, leaning against her starfighter. "There is only the Force, the Unifying, Living Force. The Force has no sides nor does it take sides. The Light and Dark sides are only aspects of yourself. The Force is inherently good, it is beings who can become corrupted."

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Almost spellbound by the words of the semi-Jedi, Draconis took a long time before answering her proposition, carefully mulling over her views on the Force. Although they varied greatly from what his mentor had told him, he couldn't deny that they made more sense. And sense was what Draconis normally believed in, his brain was a machine using logic to function. He had a feeling this woman was more honest, more no-nonsense than the mystic scholars of the Jedi Order he'd heard about in various spaceports during the last few weeks. Which was good. Draconis wasn't looking for nonsense. He was looking for a way to keep peace, and to bring justice where none existed. This was what affected his decision, what helped him twist his former master's orders. Or well, "twist" was probably not the right word. This woman was a Jedi. From a certain point of view.

"The Force doesn't take sides... I see," he said quietly as he slowly began to approach the woman now leaning against the sleek hull of her starship. "And as for your proposal... it would be an honor to pledge myself to your teachings."

Raising his head from a shallow bow of the head, Draconis smiled and extended his hand. "My name is Draconis, by the way."

Moon smiled and closed the gap between the two, reaching out her right hand for a handshake. "Second lesson: The only respect you should ever show to me is by calling me Master. You're not pledging yourself to my teachings, for you are free to leave at any time. You're simply learning from me by your own will and choice."

"It is an honor to meet you Draconis. I am Moon, a Rattataki from Mandalore. You could say I'm a rather odd mix." She smiled and unhooked her lightsaber, throwing it on the ground beside her. "Whenever you're ready," she said, sitting down in the six-point meditative position, "sit down in front of me and I will teach you something called breathe meditation. It is the foreground to every meditation, and it opens your body almost completely to the Force." She closed her eyes and inhaled slowly, then exhaled at the same speed. "Do as I do, and breathe deeply. With every inhale, you will open your body; with every exhale, you allow the Force to flow..." She trailed off, repeating her steps several times before opening one eye to peek out at Draconis.

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

The corners of Draconis' mouth turned upward in a shy smile in response to his brand new master's reply to his words. This woman wasn't much for formalities it seemed, but that suited the Epicanthix just fine. His former mentor had been more of a father than a teacher, and while he didn't expect the same from this newfound relationship it was good with some degree of familiarity. It made learning all the easier.

The white-faced female's introduction as Moon, a Mandalorian Rattataki, faintly surprised Draconis. He had heard about Rattatak and it inhabitants, the planet wasn't far from his homeworld Bunduki. It was a dangerous place, its people known throughout the sector as uncivilized barbaric warriors. And Mandalore? According to the tales he'd been told since leaving Bunduki that planet was almost as bad. Mandalorians were infamous across the galaxy as bloodthirsty mercenaries and ancient enemies of the Jedi. Draconis found it curious that a person who was mix of those two cultures ended up a Jedi Knight. But the universe did have a sense of humor, it seemed.

Master Moon got down to business immediately. The two had barely introduced eachother and already she was giving him his first lesson in the ways of the Force? Draconis smiled to himself. This woman certainly wasn't one for nonsense. The meditational pose and the methods she showed Draconis as he settled down a feet or so across from her reminded the Epicanthix of Teräs Käsi combat focusing, which he had practiced for almost his entire life. Listening to Moon's words, it didn't take long until Draconis' breathing matched that of his master's and he soon found himself very serene, his thoughts nearly empty, his mind only concentrating on what his newfound master had to say.

"Ahhh..." Moon sighed. "Isn't it just wonderful? Beautiful? The Force is the best thing in the Universe." Moon proclaimed, believing every word. The Force was everything to her, and it meant everything to her. Besides her new apprentice, it was all she had left. The Force was everything.

"You caught on quick." She said, her voice even more soft and relaxed than before. The specks of yellow in her eyes grew slightly, bursting with the Force. She opened her eyes and let herself slip from the meditation slowly, savoring the Force around her. She opened her eyes completely, proud of her new apprentice; however she remained in the position. "Your Force Aura radiates calm, peace, serenity. Now, I want you to see with the Force." She watched the Epicanthix's face, his serenity visible.

"See with the Force, keep your eyes closed but allow the Force to provide you with vision." She closed her eyes, pausing for a moment to breathe herself. "See the trees, me, my ship, the city, its inhabitants, the planet itself. The dirt, the grass, every tiny insect. The Force surrounds and all living things and binds them together, and allows for you to see everything you can't with your eyes."

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Some time passed as Draconis sat suspended in breathe meditation, but he didn't notice. He felt so detached from everything, yet so in sync with it. He breathed with the grass, with the forest, with Chandrila, with the galaxy. He were part of them, they were part of him. He loved it. When Moon spoke yet again he had to focus to hear her over the silent non-existing noise of the clearing around him. Her words echoed through his mind, and they sounded so true, so pure. The Force was beautiful, was indeed the greatest thing to exist. The Epicanthix couldn't help but to smile once again.

Upon re-entering the world after meditation Draconis found himself still, his mind quiet, devoid of doubt and all kinds of mental trouble. He liked it. His Master didn't waste any time on further explanations but moved immediately on to another lesson, yet another step into the world of the Force, of the Jedi. He listened closely to her instructions on how to see without his eyes. At first he just let his eyelids drop, let the ice blue orbs representing his eyes rest in darkness. He saw nothing. Utter blackness filled his vision. That was, until he let the Force flow through him. Coupled with the Force-focusing breathing method he had just learned he started to see things, or well, sense things more like. At first he felt just his Master, her aura a tangling mix of dark and light, but also of pride and peace. His awareness then spread slowly, soon encompassing Moon's starfighter. Draconis found it curious that the ship gave off signature of any kind considering it was a dead object. But he didn't think much about it, awed as he was when he sensed the bustling activity of various insects and rodents inhabiting the underbrush of the surrounding forest. It was amazing!

Moments later his consciousness encompassed the nearby city as well, and he could even feel general emotions stemming from the population, though he only brushed the surface. As he tried to submerge deeper he lost focus and was at once flung back into the real world, his own self, sitting in the grass staring at his Master with wide, impressed eyes. "That was... unbelievable."

Moon smiled and rejoiced as her apprentice quickly caught on to her lessons in the Force. It was a wonderful thing, especially for Moon, who was still struggling with her Dark Side. To be able to open someone else up to the wonders of the Force was simply an amazing feeling.

"Now, I've realized that we've gone far in just these few hours." Time seemed to have come to a standstill while she was meditating, and Moon knew that was to be expected. Hours felt like only moments. She stood, using the Force to draw her lightsaber into her bionic hand and replacing it in its rightful place on her belt. "But if you need me to slow down and explain something, or spend more time on something, please tell me."

A strong gale whooshed through the clearing, at least strong by Chandrilian standards. A loud crack reverberated through the forest, as did the even louder crash that followed. Moon looked to the other side of her starfighter, sensing an immense and sickening pain. It was as if the Force itself was trapped underneath whatever just fell. Looking back to her apprentice and beckoning for him to follow; then turned and used the Force to bolster the jump that she took in order to shorten the length between her and the source of the outcry.

The source, as Moon expected, was just on the edge of the natural meadow, and was caused by a rather large tree falling on top of an unsuspecting animal. Upon closer inspection, Moon recognized the poor being as a leviasquall. It was just an oversized version of the squall, which was protected by Chandrilian law. The creature was still radiating pain into the Force, but there was no sound besides low groans. Moon placed her hands on the creature and projected calm into the Force.

"I can't heal the creature." Moon sighed. "However, from what I can see, the wounds will heal naturally. The creature has no broken bones, only flesh wounds that we can dress." She then looked at the tree. "That is obviously the source of the problem, and needs to be moved. I need to keep the creature calm to prevent it from becoming violent. I think you have it in you."

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

The small wonders he had achieved in just a few short hours almost made Draconis tremble with excitement. Imagine what he would be able to do in years! But he didn't let his recent successes cloud his mind. His mentor back on Bunduki had told him about arrogance and pride, how it could lead even the purest of souls down the diabolical path to the Dark Side. And the young Epicanthix wasn't willing to let that happen, not as long as he could do something about it. Shrugging to himself, he let those thoughts vanish as Moon spoke and stood from her meditational position. As she asked him if he wanted her to slow down her lesson and explain more thoroughly he just smiled and said "No thank you Master. I think I understand what you've taught me so far."

As Draconis swiftly rose from his cross-legged position in the soft Chandrilan grass he noticed how the wind had strengthened since he'd sunk into meditation. He barely had time to feel its pleasant breeze embrace his face before a strong gust of it swept by, tugging at his long hair in its topknot and nearly toppling him over. He managed to stay upright but some of the trees surrounding the clearing weren't so lucky. Most of them just lost a few branches, vanishing in a crack and a screen of flying leaves, but one of them actually fell. As it crashed to the ground Moon's gaze turned to Draconis as she beckoned him to follow. He offered his Master a solemn nod and jogged after her as she cleared the distance to the fallen tree in a Force-assisted leap.

Trapped under the fallen trunk was what Draconis recognized as some sort of oversized squall. He could feel its pain reverberate through the Force, its misery blocking out nearly everything else. Moon hurried up to it and Draconis wasn't far behind, listening closely to what she said. He could barely believe his ears when she told him he had to move the tree. It was huge!

His mind flashed back to when his old mentor had told Draconis stories of his life with the Jedi. The Force can be used as many things, he had said. As a source of life, a weapon, or just a mere tool. If you are able to manipulate it you can perform incredible feats... you can increase your speed or your sight... you can even use it to bolster your strength and move things telekinetically if you put your mind to it. That must have been what Moon meant Draconis to do now.

Taking up position a few feet from the fallen tree the young Epicanthix reached out with his hands. He took a few deep breaths and tried with a few movements, as he would if he were to lift the trunk by more ordinary means. Nothing happened. So he tried again and again, and still the tree remained unmoving. A pearl of sweat broke loose from his scalp and made its way down his forehead, into his eyes. Blinking away its salty sting, he sighed and let his hands fall to his sides. Centering himself for another try, he let his eyes close completely.

Again using the breathing technique, Draconis let the Force flow through him just as Moon had taught him. It again wiped away all doubt, taking with it his newly acquired frustration. It renewed the sensation of pain streaming from the tortured squall, bolstering Draconis' determination. He reached out with his right hand. Visualizing the tree lifting from the ground and the poor lagomorph he let his fingers perform a gripping gesture before raising his arm. Suddenly it felt as if the weight of the tree was on him and that startled the young near-human. But it wasn't enough to make him stop. Slowly he let his mind wrap around the tree trunk and before he lost focus he lifted.

Opening his eyes he could see the tree trembling just a little. As he raised his arm more and more he could see it starting to move, and he continued until he slowly eased its crushing weight off the poor squall. After his Master had snatched the animal from the tree's shadow Draconis let the trunk, his arm and himself drop. Collapsing onto the cool soft grass he could feel his clothes soaked in sweat. A smile widened on his face as he lifted his head to look at his Master.

Tending to the squall's few wounds with a piece of her clothing torn off from the shoulder, Moon looked to her apprentice and smiled. After the squall regained its bearing on the ground, it rubbed up against Moon and let out a feline-like purr, and scuttled away into the underbrush. She made her way back to her apprentice, knowing all to well the mental exhaustion caused by a first time telekinetic. She offered him a hand, her bionic left one, to aid him in standing once more.

"You held up well, Draconis. That squall is very happy with you right now." As a believer in the Living Force, Moon held all life in reverence. All life was important to and connected with the Force. Just as the clearing grew quiet, the nocturnal insects and animals began to begin their nightly routine. Moon hadn't even noticed that the day had shifted into night.

"Well," she sighed, turning towards the direction of the city. "We can either take shelter here or head to the city and find ourselves shelter for the night. I think we should head to the city. Any objections my friend?"

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Draconis was pleased to see the grateful squall hopping away probably never to be seen again, hoping it would soon lose the slight limp it had acquired in its recent accident. Wiping the sweat off his brow, he took the hand offered by his Master... and was surprised to be gripping a piece of cold metal. Draconis had somehow failed to notice Moon's cybernetic replacement, hidden as it was within the folds of her robe's sleeve. Stifling the astonishment and trying to keep his indiscreet gaze off the hand he let her drag him to his feet, wondering to himself why she didn't use synthflesh to cover the apparent result of some kind of accident.

His ponderings shattered into nothingness as his Rattataki Master spoke, asking him if he would rather return to Hanna City than stay in the clearing overnight. He himself had already cleared his flight plan and signed off with spaceport authorities and also had a bunk crammed into the tubular cabin of the Centurion so actually he would rather have stayed. But a quick look at the cockpit of Moon's diminutive starcraft swayed him in the other direction. He couldn't possibly let her sleep in that.

"No Master, I agree. We should return to the city and try to find some kind of decent sleeping accommodations."

Turning towards the edge of the clearing facing the city, Moon swiftly but gracefully made her way into the thick forest that covered most of the northern part of the continent. The city was about two hours away from where their clearing was, so their ships would be safe. However, Moon wanted to teach her apprentice how to use the Force to cut that travel time a little more than in half.

Before continuing, however, she noticed and addressed Draconis's interest in her bare cybernetic arm. "It's a memory of my Dark Side. You see, it was really no accident that this happened to my arm." She pulled her sleeve up, revealing that it continued well into her shoulder and chest. "It was my fault. I let my Dark Side take control of me, so I acted brash, and it cost me my arm. It was cut off to make an example of me. I've never considered synthskin because it is a part of me and a reminder of how dangerous rash choices can be. I feel no reason to cover it."

Moon turned to face him and beckoned him to a tall tree. The branches were high, but obviously sturdy. Moon concentrated and jumped, using the Force to carry her to the first branch - which was about four meters up. She landed gracefully, not disturbing the tree too much. "Concentrate, Draconis. Envision yourself jumping up, and the Force taking your body up here like an elevator. It may take a few tries, so don't be discouraged." She smiled at him in encouragement.

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Slightly embarrassed by Moon's noticing of his wayward gaze Draconis offered a sheepish smile. But his Master's words soon wiped it off his face, plunging him into deep thought. So she has been down the dark path... maybe it would be better to seek out a real Jedi, you never know if this one will fall down into the pits darkness again... taking you with her! But no. He shook his head, clearing his mind. Moon had obviously overcome her past quarrel with the dark. Draconis felt safe with her, and he had learned to trust his instincts. Acknowledging her tale--which had actually become an impromptu lesson for the young Epicanthix--with a nod, the two moved on through the forest.

It didn't take long before the pair stopped again, the Master turning to face her padawan. They were standing in front of a massive tree with thick branches reaching high into the darkening skies of Chandrila. Seemingly without effort Moon suddenly disappeared from her position next to Draconis, and it took a fraction of a second for the latter to realize that she'd actually leapt up into the branchwork in a Force-assisted jump. "Concentrate, Draconis," she said, standing evenly on one of the thick branches. "Envision yourself jumping up, and the Force taking your body up here like an elevator. It may take a few tries, so don't be discouraged." Draconis swallowed and readied himself.

The lesson with the squall had taught him that in order to manipulate the universe-spanning energy field that was the Force he needed to channel it through him. And fortunately that had been the first thing his Rattataki Master had showed how him to do. Yet another time Draconis used the breathing exercise to feel the Force flow through him. Taking a few steps backwards, he looked up into the tree, measuring the height. It sure was far, way too far to reach by any practical means. But the Force wasn't practical means.

Giving himself a running start, Draconis did just as Moon had said and envisioned himself jumping up, and a fraction of a second later he followed the example set by his mind's eye and leapt... and missed. Sure enough, the Force had carried him through the air, but he had come in too low, the tip of his fingers just about grazing the branch. He landed on the forest floor, breaking off his momentum in a skillfully performed tuck-and-roll. Taking another few deep breaths he tried again.

This time he tried focusing more on the envisioning part and less on the actual jump. Again he flew through the air, again he saw the branch rushing towards his face, but this time his aim had been better. As he came close to the branch he reached out with both his arms and managed to grip it, the force of his momentum swinging him up and around the branch, setting him down right behind Moon, who had watched his entire progress. Feigning nonchalance, he leaned against the trunk of the tree. "You'll have to do better to throw me off, Master," he said with a playful wink of his eye.

As Moon expected, Draconis missed his first attempt. It wasn't surprising. However, just as it was like her strong apprentice, his potential shined as his second attempt was fruitful. After a running start and an amazing touch with the Force, Draconis landed just near her. "You'll have to do better to throw me off, Master." To this, she answered with a playful smile and a silent challenge.

Moon closed her eyes and, seemingly in a split second, her body transformed into a blur and made it four trees ahead. "Jump," she yelled from her branch, "but this time, no momentum. You did good last time, but I noticed that you put too much focus on your physical body." Moon motioned with her hands to her body. "Your former training is getting in the way. You must learn to let go of this training when it is needed, in order to give yourself fully to the Force."

She continued to explain. "Breathe like you have been, but continue as if you were meditating; clearing your mind. Then close your eyes and command time around you to slow down. Then, run forward, through the air. You will in reality be jumping, but the Force will be carrying you from tree to tree while you 'walk' through the air."

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Draconis couldn't help but be surprised when Moon once again vanished from his side in a blur. His astonishment increased when he realized she had jumped four trees ahead. The wind that had steadily been building up since their time in the clearing was now strong but Moon was able to make herself heard from her location a dozen meters away, her words carrying themselves to Draconis' ears, conveying her message. She told him to put his former training aside... so she had noticed? Well, the Epicanthix thought, a lifetime of practicing Teräs Käsi must show, in your stance, in your walk, all your movements... and it's not easily put aside either.

But he would try. Just as he had before, he used his newfound technique both to channel the Force and to clear his mind, although this time it didn't come as easily. Maybe one couldn't draw on the Force indefinitely, maybe one could exhaust one's reserves? It was after all Draconis' first day, he guessed he would have to build up his ability to manipulate the Force over the years. But he didn't let those thoughts cloud his mind. Breathing deeply he focused on the present and prepared for action.

Doing just as his Master had told him to, Draconis concentrated more on the mental aspects of the jump (or "walk") than the physical ones he'd learned to rely on throughout his martial arts training. And it proved effective. Running over the edge of the branch he was at first dead-set that he would tumble to the ground, but as soon as those thoughts surfaced he took another deep breath, shattering them into nothingness. It took a moment to realize that he was still in the air, flying forward. As he passed the first tree it felt like time had stopped, or at least slowed down, and it felt like the physical distance to his Master had been heavily reduced. She seemed much closer than she was before, and it didn't have anything to do with Draconis flying towards her.

He landed on the second tree, his Master still two trees ahead of him. But he didn't pause for long, just long enough for him to gather his bearings and shoot Moon a look feigning cockiness. In an instant he had jumped once again, and was in a fraction of a second standing next to his Master, both feet planted steadily upon the branch.

Draconis was a quick learner and a very, very strong being. The Force didn't touch him, it grasped him. The Force enveloped him. She embraced him in a loving hug, radiating pride and happiness into the Force. The Chandrilian night was in full swing, for it had gotten to be midnight and Moon had just realized how exhausted she really was. Sighing and ending the embrace, she let herself fall to the ground. The fall wasn't that far, but far enough to warrant and oomf. She motioned for her Padawan to follow.

"Come on," she said, wearily. "You've done quite enough for today." The city, still alive with activity, was in view. Lights blazed through the forest, however the sounds were almost overwhelming. The forest broke open revealing a rather large grassy plain, with the permacrete of a diner's front sidewalk leading the way into the city. Just past the diner, which Moon figured where breakfast would be, was a rather nice but cheap apartment complex. A Jedi salary was nothing to be envious of - providing only for the basic needs - and she wasn't sure if she could afford it.

Motioning for her apprentice to follow, Moon was pleased to see that the complex was not run by a Toydarian but a rather lowly human. He was tired and skinny, falling almost to sleep at his desk. Moon approached, and made no attempt to hide that she was using a mind trick. "Hey there."

"Whattaya want?" Came his raspy reply.

"One room, single night, just to sleep in."

"That'll be four hundred credits."

"No, I think you can give it to us for free."

"Oh, well I can give it to you for free. It's just one night. Here, take this key."

Examining the key, Moon found that they were on the ground floor and only to the left a few rooms. She went in, and crashed directly onto the couch, snoring.

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

The embrace struck the unsuspecting Draconis like lightning from a clear sky. He had no idea his Master held such strong feelings for him, but the Force clearly showed him her impression of him as he with some effort let it probe her mystic aura. He frowned at this, knowing how Jedi unyieldingly disapproved strong emotion of any kind. But then again, Moon was no ordinary Jedi. Now smiling himself, the Padawan returned the hug.

The walk back to Hanna City wasn't very long, and soon the pair breached the edge of the lush forest, leaving its majestic trees behind and finding themselves on the very outskirts of the planet's capital. Its bright lights took some getting used to, blurring Draconis' vision after hours in the relative gloom of the woods. Once his eyes cleared he could make out the now familiar structures, the ones he'd passed twice that day with his ship. Their silhouettes and lit-up facades reflecting in the nearby Silver Sea couldn't do anything else but make Draconis feel a bit awed as he and his Master crossed an empty plain on their way to a nearby hostel.

As they entered Moon engaged in a short-lived conversation with the proprietor of the simple establishment, resulting in her receiving the key to a room for free by using some kind of mind trick. Draconis raised an eyebrow at this, giving his master a slightly condemning look. Running this apartment complex was what the owner did for a living, it was what got him paid. Moon had just effectively stolen the man's money by not paying, using the Force for personal gain. Feeling a bit guilty the young Epicanthix slipped a creditchip worth 200 credits onto the desk as they left for the room, plunging himself into near-bankruptcy. It was the least he could do.

Draconis had barely entered the room and was about to ask his Master about the incident, but she was already fast asleep. Shrugging to himself, the Epicanthix flung himself onto a bed in the adjoining room. The many experiences of his first day as a Jedi-in-training had tired him enough to make him disappear into the oblivion of dreams just as fast as his Master had.

When Moon awoke, she was glad to see that Draconis had slipped into a rest as deep as she had. She stretched and yawned as she stood up, which caused her to fall back into the couch. She allowed the blood to return to her head and, when it did, she stood quickly to the sound of knocking on the door. When she opened it, the man who was standing at the counter appeared on the other side. He was crying, intensely, and held a credit chip worth 200 credits within his hands.

"Did... Did you give me this?" The man sobbed, pathetic as it was.

"No, I didn't." Moon responded, looking back to her apprentice, who was still fast asleep on the bed. At least, that was what it seemed.

The man took the hint and thanked Moon, beginning to walk away. Moon caught him by the sleeves. "Do you remember us from last night?" The man simply nodded in response. "I have something to confess to you. I used a mind trick on you in order to try and teach my apprentice here. You see, we're Jedi."

"Well, that wasn't very Jedi-like of you." The man retorted, still overly elated but a twinge of anger seeped into his aura. "Did you give me this in reparations?"

Moon shook her head, jutting her thumb back into the room to signify her apprentice. She pulled on his shirt and dragged him into the room, and when she let go, she patted her pockets. There was nothing there to give him except her datapad and comlink. She couldn't do without her comlink...

"Here, I want you to have this as well." Moon said, holding the customized and highly effective datapad over to the man. She spent months upon months working on it, however, this man deserved it more than she did. Her Dark Side was allowed to show itself last night, and that wasn't something she should allow. "This is your reparations."

The man's face lit up and he dropped the credchip. The datapad was well worth much more than 200 hundred credits, maybe even 300 due to all of the modifications. He looked up to Moon with tears still streaming down his face.

"Thank you, ma'am. Thank you so much..."

Moon held up a finger to his lips. "Don't thank me. Thank my apprentice. It is the Master's job to teach the Padawan, but sometimes, the teacher learns from the student. Thank you."

With that, the man shook her hand, and left the room, making sure to close the door softly. Moon made her way over to her apprentice and placed a motherly hand on his head, waiting for him to awake if he had not done so already.

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Waking from his sound sleep by a gentle, cool hand being laid carefully on his forehead Draconis knew immediately that the events that had transpired the day before hadn't been a dream. It sure felt like it. The odds of him finding a Jedi willing to train him on a small backwater planet he would likely have passed if not by mere coincidence surely numbered in several millions to one, and the feats he had accomplished after just a day of learning by his Master's feet were liked ripped out of a fable. But the hand resting on his face and the almost loving feelings projected unto him left no doubt in his increasingly waking mind; it had been real all right.

Slowly dragging his eyelids open, exposing his vision to the Chandrilan sun streaming through the room's lone window, Draconis found himself staring into the peaceful white face of his Master. He smiled at her and joined her in an upright position. "Good morning Master," he said, the last remnants of sleep suddenly dispelled. As he came to he also remembered the last few minutes before going to sleep the night before, namely Moon's deceptive way of dealing with the owner of the apartment complex. He was tempted to discuss it with her, but thought it better not to. She was after all his Master, and he wouldn't like to show any disrespect by questioning her judgment. Her gaze as he again turned to face her prompted him to do otherwise however.

"Master... last night when we were checking in... why did you trick that man? From the looks of him and this building complex he isn't doing very well and tricking him into giving up a room for free isn't going to help him any. It is my understanding that the duty of a Jedi encompasses helping the less fortunate, and that man clearly needed those credits more than we do... so why Master?"

"You are correct, the man did need these credits more than we do." Moon said, tossing the credchip back Draconis's way. "I gave him my datapad. I spent my entire time as a Padawan altering, upgrading, and tweaking the systems of the datapad. That's all his now. If you decide to give him any more credits, then that's on you. He's well off with that datapad."

She smiled at his proposition that the Jedi were to help the less fortunate. "Now there, my young apprentice, you do have some misconception. The Jedi are the shield and sword for the less fortunate. We protect them and we aid them as much as we can. We do give back, however, we are not a charity and we don't just give things out." She was speaking in a stern tone, but in no way demeaning to Draconis. Moon was simply giving her version of a formal, verbal lesson.

"That man had obvious death stick problems. His face and arms showed it. That datapad will help him greatly if he uses it or sells it for the right purpose. However, he can now sell that datapad and feed his addiction. The choice is his," she turned away, toward the window of the apartment, "not ours. We cannot make decisions for him."

Making her way to the door, Moon turned to her apprentice as she grasped the handle. "And I influenced his mind to teach you something. The other Jedi will teach you how to use the Force. I do hope to do this to the best of my ability. But I also want to teach you how not to use it." Moon smiled. "It's all in the lesson. You taught me something, too. Something called reparations."

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

"I see Master." This had been maybe the most formal exchange of words yet between Draconis and Moon, and one the former took to heart. He understood now what his Master had been meaning to teach him, and he was grateful for the lesson. He was also happy to be of help to her, though his teaching her had been completely unintentional. So now Moon had redeemed herself in Draconis' eyes, and he was ready to move, ready to start the second day of apprenticeship.

Standing up from the bed he gazed at his reflection in the room's window, glad to see a well-rested face and energetic blue eyes staring back at him. A look at his hair left him a bit somber though, having turned into a tangled mess overnight. Turning to look at Moon and seeing her standing at the door, waiting for him, he smiled. "Just a minute, Master." Working quickly, he released his hair from its topknot and other various braids, letting it hang all the way down to his waist. Spreading his fingers, he ran his hand down its length, untangling it. Soon that was done and he put it back into its normal configuration, one topknot standing out from the back of his head and two braids framing his face. After all, he was a Jedi Padawan now, and had to look at least a little representable.

Turning again to face Moon, he offered her a moderately bashful expression and an announcement. "There, all done."

Opening the door, Moon rubbed a hand over her bald head. "I've never had a hair problem." She said, walking through the door and down the hallway to the lobby. She tossed the keycard on the keeper's desk, and made her way out into the still busy streets of Hanna City. Speeders and pedestrians of all sizes and species raced past the unusual pair, some giving Moon's lightsaber and bionic hand a second glance.

As Moon was walking out of the complex onto the permacrete, a rather large human ran into Moon, knocking her flat on her behind. She used the Force to comfort her fall, however, it did cause a little pain. The man, however, was not phased but turned around with an angry look on his face.

"Hey, you oughta watch where you're going!" He yelled, pointing a finger at the pair.

Moon stood slowly. "I'm sorry, sir, but you were the one who ran into me."

"Oh, we've got a wise guy over here." He said, rolling up his sleeves to show his muscles. "Do you know who I am?"

Moon shook her head. "No. And I don't care." She unhooked her lightsaber and twirled it above her hand using the Force. "Do you know what I am?" She poured caution in the Force, alerting her apprentice to the pending danger. Showing her lightsaber was a tactic to get him to back off. Moon was afraid, however, that this man had way too much of an ego to back down. The gathering crowd didn't aid them at all.

((You can control this man as an NPC. He can do whatever you want him to do. But you need to take a few, if not, a lot of punches. You can also beat him to a pulp. It's for you to show off to Moon his training. Just leave something left of him.))

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Draconis sensed Moon's warning through the Force. This man was dangerous, his utter lack of intelligence making him even more so, as was evident when he barely spared the Jedi Knight's lightsaber a second glance. The Epicanthix knew it was too late to defuse the situation using logic, but still he stepped up to the man with an apologetic gesture. "Listen, we don't want any trouble. There is no need for violence, just go about your business and let us get back to ours." The man fixed him with a narrow gaze, and Draconis could feel his tension rising. He knew the man readied himself for an attack.

The man was a huge mountain of muscle, standing just about as tall as Draconis himself but much broader across the shoulders, eclipsing even the Epicanthix's considerably muscular frame. As he had not fallen into any kind of combat position when Draconis suddenly saw his muscles bulging for the inevitable attack he sized him up as a brawler rather than a real fighter, relying more on his size and raw strength rather than finesse. This was actually an advantage, and gave Draconis the chance to dodge the big man's opening punch.

It had been thrown high, aimed at the Epicanthix's face. But Draconis, having trained martial arts since childhood, nimbly dodged the attack, easily pirouetting out of the way. The crowd that had gathered around the scene scattered, taking up vantage points a bit farther away. Coming out of his spin, Draconis dropped into the Teräs Käsi stance known as Förräderi, spreading his feet wide, left foot forward, poised to attack. He could choose to easily end the fight with just one move, this man had nothing that could defend him against the arts of the steel hand, but he opted not to. This guy had to be taught a lesson.

Draconis considered his options. The location was ideal. They were standing on a largely empty lot of permacrete, with nowhere to hide and nothing for the man to pick up and use as a weapon. The Epicanthix was free to use any move stored in his arsenal, which were, put shortly, quite many. As he in his mind's eye went through them one by one his icy gaze, which was intently scanning his opponent, noticed something he hadn't seen before, something the man hadn't revealed until now. Something completely unexpected.

The man had dropped into a fighting stance. Draconis realized his sizing up of the guy had been entirely incorrect. Though he made a rather convincing one, this wasn't a brawler. He was a warrior. The Epicanthix swallowed somberly as he recognized his opponent's stance as one used by the Echani, developers of the one fighting style that in Draconis' opinion could stand up to the fine arts of Teräs Käsi. Contrary to his former belief, this wasn't going to be easy... not at all.

This sudden surprise made Draconis hesitate, which proved to be a fatal mistake. Before he even had time to react the man had launched himself from his position, and without warning planted both his feet squarely in the Epicanthix's chest, knocking him back. Putting his weight forward he managed not to fall over and completely killed the big man's momentum, making him plunge to the ground, where he landed in a combat crouch. Not letting himself lose focus once again Draconis did the same, stood low and studied the man. He was using a variation of the Echani martial arts, one more suited to his considerable bulk, and the Epicanthix asked himself one more time how he could have misjudged the man so fatally.

Not dwelling on that for long though, Draconis cleared his mind, flexed his muscles and turned into what the onlookers would only see as a blur. His movements honed by over a decade of training, he rained blows on the man faster than the normal eye could register. But his opponent was skilled. He blocked over half of the punches and the rest was absorbed by his ridiculously muscular body. When Draconis retreated he had barely scratched the man, landing only two damaging blows the man had failed to counter. And now it seemed his opponent recognized him for what he was. Draconis swallowed. Now the man would likely adapt his moves to counter his style. Which wasn't good.

This theory was proved very much correct a fraction of a second later when the man attacked again. The secret of defeating a practitioner of Teräs Käsi was to use strong, heavy punches, which the man now did. Too quick for Draconis to dodge and too brutal to block the attack ripped straight through the Epicanthix's defenses, hitting him right in the jaw. The move could have proved deadly if he had not managed to turn his head sideways, but even then he heard something crack, and blood immediately filled the confines of his mouth. Suddenly, before he could help himself, rage consumed his mind. "You really shouldn't have done that."

Yet again launching himself at the mountain of muscle, this time employing a move known as Leaping Veermok, he exploded into a fierce flurry of repeating attacks. He experienced something he never had in his 13 years as a martial artist; the Force rushing through him, strengthening his determination and bolstering his offense. This time his opponent's defenses crumbled, unable to stop the relentless beating. To Draconis it felt like time stopped as he struck again and again, harder and harder. Soon he had bloodied the man, and it didn't take long before the huge man toppled over, having lost consciousness after several brutal blows to the head. But even then the enraged Epicanthix didn't stop. Ignoring everything he had ever learned, every lecture about honor and combat etiquette, he started kicking the man, not holding back, until...

What am I doing?! I'm beating a defenseless man, a man who attacked me because of a simple misunderstanding! Draconis didn't feel like himself, he felt alienated, disgusted even. The fury that had consumed his mind had turned him into a ravaging monster, had made him forget everything he'd ever learned just to get back at the person who'd nearly bested him. As he looked around he could see the bystanders fleeing in panic, fleeing from him. He swung his icy gaze to the unmoving body of his opponent, lying bloody and beaten to shreds but somehow still alive. Tears filled his eyes and regret took over his mind as he turned to Moon. "Master... wh-what happened?"

((Kind of a weird post, I know. I just couldn't come up with anything decent))

Moon was surprised to see Draconis transform into nothing but a blur, and attack the man from seemingly all sides. She was equally surprised to see how fast the bulky man could move, and she couldn't resist the goosebumps that covered her skin when her apprentice was hit in the jaw. Her danger sense was running in overdrive, and she instinctively brought her lightsaber to a ready position. But the danger sense quickly faded and was replaced by an even colder feeling, one that Moon was all too familiar with. Draconis's Dark Side exploded out of him, his punches thrown in such strength, velocity, and frequency that could have only been done if he was augmenting his skills using the Force. Then, he just began to kick and punch the man out of anger after he lost consciousness.

Moon was saddened when she saw the look on her apprentice's face when he abruptly stopped and turned to her, tears and blood streaming down his face, flowing from his eyes, nose, ears, and mouth. He was battered, but an even more gruesome sight was the man, lying still, and struggling to breathe.

"You used the Force for the wrong reasons..." Moon whispered to him as she grasped his shoulder, attempting to comfort him. "It was necessary in order to bring him down, but not to that extent. Your Dark Side was feeding of your own anger and from the fear pouring out of the man and those bystanders." She removed her hand when the man started to groan, moving over to him and kneeling down. She placed both her hands on his body after motioning to Draconis to kneel as well.

"Do as I do. Close your eyes, and begin to meditate. Project your calm into the Force, and see your body as one with his." She closed her eyes and began to breathe. "Open this man up to the Force, and it will heal his worst injuries."

The man moved, groaning more. "Get... away... from me..." He rasped, followed by a bloody cough. He raised a hand towards Draconis and Moon, attempting to grasp one of them. "I hate... you.." His abdominal muscles tightened in an attempt to sit up, but the snap-hiss of a bright blue, almost white lightsaber stopped him. It floated at his throat from Moon's bionic left hand. It was perfectly still, and the look on Moon's face was stern.

"Sit still. We're healing you." She said, keeping her right hand against his body, pushing for him to lay back down. He didn't resist, but was still angry.

"Haven't you done enough damage already?" He rasped.

Moon deactivated her lightsaber, but held it in the same position. Her bionic arm was, after all, only a machine, and could stay where it was for days on end. "We can leave you here and you will die. Or, we can heal you, and take you to the hospital."

"Fine." He said, closing his eyes and relaxing. "But it's no use. My honor is shot. I'm sorry that I attacked you."

The apology wasn't sincere, but his statement was. Moon sighed, returning to her meditations and beginning to pour the healing powers of the Force through him.

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

Draconis was afraid of himself. His entire body was aching, his limbs trembling uncontrollably. He didn't know what to do, what to think. He hadn't meant to beat the man senseless it had just... happened. In fact, it didn't feel it was he who had done it. That... that creature he had become wasn't him, at least he didn't want to believe it was. He hadn't been able to control his own actions, he'd just... lost it.

Moon however managed to bring some degree of peace to his hysterical mind, laying a comforting hand on his shoulder and in a placating tone telling him what had just transpired. So that is the Dark Side, thought the troubled Epicanthix, at the same time silently vowing never to give into its wicked ways ever again. Calming himself with a series of deep inhalations and exhalations, he soon followed his Master's lead and commenced some sort of meditative healing trance by the victim of his recent uncalled-for fury. It was, after all, the least he could do.

While the crowd turned and ran from the fight, one spectator remained stationary on a nearby rooftop. His arms crossed over his chest, he watched the confrontation with a calculating eye.

*The Day Before*

In the marketplace of Hanna City, there was a small, nondescript shop tucked back into a secluded corner. As dawn approached, it appeared that the darkness inexplicably strengthened for a moment before dissipating in front of the store. Anybody who might have been looking out their window at the time would have shrugged it off as just a trick of the light.

On the other side of the door, Tashkri had stopped for a moment to re-lock it. Walking past the miscellaneous wares he "sold" by way of Force persuasion, he passed through another door, one that was more securely locked than the front door. This door led to his sanctuary, the place he had turned into his headquarters when he had discovered the Serpent house had been destroyed. The first thing that anyone would have seen, although no one but Tash had ever been back here, was a massive wooden table. It was heavily scarred by flame, but still solid. As he walked past it, his hand ran along the surface. At the end of one of the sides, he stopped for a second, allowing his fingers to trace over the serpent design that he had carved into the table ages ago. That mark served as a reminder of his place at the left hand of the order, and how it had been Rocketblaze who had led Garet and himself down this path. Making his way into the bedroom, he stopped in front of a mirror to see what damage had been done to his clothes. There were no cuts or tears to the cloth, but his shirt and pants were liberally spattered with blood, none of which was his own.

Those last few just had to bleed all over me before I finished them off, didn't they? I guess that's what I get for fighting against such unworthy opponents.

Without a focused path, Tashkri had needed to find an outlet for his aggression. First he had targeted the murderers and rapists, and when that pool dried up, had turned to underground fight clubs. Using the Force to conceal his identity, he would spend the entire night beating his opponents into a pulp before killing them. For a while, it was enough to entertain him. After a few months, though, it began to bore him. He started to play with the other fighters, usually by dodging out of the way of their blows until they tired themselves out, then finishing the fight with a single punch that collapsed their skull. He would mix up his strategies, sometimes playing the defensive game, other times launching an all out offense that never allowed an opponent to throw a strike. Either way, it had been years since he actually had anything that even faintly resembled a challenge. Last night had been one of those offensive times, which accounted for the blood splatters.

Stripping off the clothes, he tossed them into a basket and jumped into the refresher for a quick rinse off. A minute later, Tash returned to the bedroom. An examination in the mirror revealed a strongly muscled body and a couple of scars, none of them fresh. After donning his usual outfit of pants and a sleeveless shirt, he prepared some food. When it was ready, he sat at his customary place at the table. Making short work of the food, he went back out onto the streets, this time looking publicly presentable.

Frankly, Tashkri was bored. He read all of the ancient texts that he could get his hands on, he had practiced his various fighting skills until there was nothing left to learn, and he was at the peak of his physical fitness. Spending the day walking around the city was one of the few ways left for him to pass the time until nightfall and the next fight. As he walked through the streets, the other citizens unconsciously gave him a wide berth. Anybody that came too close to him would suddenly get a sense of great unease and fear, and would pick up their pace to get away from the feeling.

All of a sudden, Tash pulled up short, his eyes widening. Someone, no, two someones, were using the Force, and nearby!

I haven't been around another Force user in so long, I almost forgot what it feels like. I must go and find out who they are. Enemies or allies, maybe they can finally give me a decent challenge in a fight!

As his blood started to pump a little faster, Tash returned to his home. Opening a chest beside his bed, he pulled out some weapons that he hadn't needed to use for a long time. He generally always carried around the vibroshiv and throwing knives, but had taken to leaving the longer blades and lightsaber behind. He attached the saber horizontally to the back of his belt, and pulled his shirt over it so that it was concealed. The daggers were worn a little more openly at his sides. Prepared for whatever may happen, he returned to the streets to track down the two Force users.

*Present Time*

The man who had been watching the show let out a sigh, and then reached down to his belt.

This duo is confusing me. She looks and feels like she has ties to the Dark Side, but she's not acting like what I would expect. The other one, he has displayed that he has the potential to be powerful, but it looks like he's afraid of opening himself to his full power. He put that man down, but then stopped and started crying. Who does that, honestly? When you win a fight, you finish it. Be proud that your skills were better than theirs, and that the better fighter won. Wait a second, are they actually healing him?!?! This just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Pulling the dagger from his belt, Tash finds the balance of the blade, and sent it flying towards the downed man. The blade cut through the air so fast that Moon and Draconis only heard the hiss of air and the thunk of metal sinking into flesh before they saw the knife embedded in the man's skull. With a motion and a thought, Tashkri sent the remnants of the crowd away, then jumped down off the rooftop to land next to the three, now two, fighters. He first addressed the man, then turned to the woman.

"When you go into a fight, you should expect to be killed if you lose. That's what makes you take fighting seriously. This man lost, and deserved to die. Remember that for the next time you're in a battle."

Turning to the woman, he contemplated her appearance for a moment before speaking.

"Nice choice of hairstyle. Simple upkeep, I guess. Your lightsaber means you're either a Jedi or a Sith, so which one is it?"

tashkri.jpg

A jolt of pain, then relief, then nothingness. The Force ceased to flow through the man, just as the assailant appeared. Moon sighed and smiled, standing to face the man and crossing her arms in the process. His Dark Side radiated from him, and the cold shiver traveling through the Force caused Moon to receive goosebumps again. Her Dark Side, however, was elated to see him.

"You're so black and white." Moon said, addressing his question. "A person with a lightsaber doesn't have to be a Jedi or a Sith." She smiled in mockery of the boldness of the man. "And I am neither. I am by no means a Sith, but one could not say that I am a Jedi, either. I'm somewhere in between, I guess."

Moon looked over to the bloody mess that remained of the man. It brought her back to her times as a Sith, when she killed slaves just for the hell of it. Great. Gotta clean that up. She then looked back at the man, sizing him up and scanning him for weapons. He was heavily armed, and was Force-sensitive. If this came to a fight, Draconis would have to flee - and probably find a new Master.

"What about you, stranger? How would you classify yourself?"

Serpe.jpg

(Delta73 did the sig)

Whoops. Is she underage?

The healing trance Draconis and his Master had initiated was cut short, something abruptly plunging the injured man's faint Force aura into nothingness. Draconis had his eyelids open immediately, the piercing blue orbs of his eyes spotting the hilt of a blade that had sunken into the man's head. His reactions to try to spot the assassin proved too slow as a man dropped soundlessly from one of the rooftops surrounding the empty lot. As the Jedi Padawan's gaze met that of the new arrival's, a mystic force of darkness, fear and unease overwhelmed his Force sense.

The stranger adressed first Draconis and then Moon. His questioning of her, coupled with the morbid sensation of his Force aura, made the young Epicanthix presume the worst. The darkness that was so profoundly inherent in this man was deeper, more powerful than the taint that resided in Moon. He was almost certainly some kind of Dark Jedi. Just as Draconis came to this conclusion his Master bombarded him with caution through the Force, probably wanting him to stay back. And that he did when he spotted Moon with her lightsaber ready, and the other man looking as if he was preparing himself.

There was no way he could help fight an evil Force-user.

A smirk rose, unbidden, to Tashkri's face. It had been a long time since he had somebody worthwhile to banter words with. Generally Garet would have preferred to finish an argument with his fists than with words.

"Black and white? Not so much as you would think. It is, however, a pretty good rule of thumb that only Sith and Jedi have lightsabers and all of their limbs."

With the last line, he let his eyes linger on her mechanical left hand. Irreverently placing his foot on the corpse's face, Tash bent over and yanks the dagger out. He wiped the blood and cerebral matter off on the man's shirt, and slid the blade back into its sheath.

"I am the last remaining member of the Serpent Order. We were a group of people who used to belong with the Sith, but grew discontented with all the mindless wars and random evil-doings. Fighting and killing for a reason is one thing, but to go around doing it without a purpose is pointless."

Tashkri paused for a moment, becoming unusually reminiscent about when Rocketblaze had first explained everything to them on the banks of the lake. Things had been simpler than. They didn't have to involve themselves with the daily nuances of the Sith order, and could just practice, learn, and strengthen their own abilities without too much distraction. Mentally shaking himself, he returned his attention to the pair in front of him.

"If you're in between, than which do you answer to? Both, either, neither? Which side can say that they have your loyalty?"

tashkri.jpg