Kamino

Tarrian Skywalker

Julio did as he was instructed, waisting no time lingering in the icy clutches of space. The comm could have come from one of several locations, many of which could have been a trap. Very few knew of his existence, let alone the proper channels to contact him with. He could only hope it was the lady who enjoyed breaking him. More out of habit than necessity now, he cloaked The Chameleon before entering Kamino space. He began scanning the planet for the ordered region and brought the ship in for a landing.

As he walked through the Imperial Precinct number 103, he pulled himself inward, taking all precautions as he continued to weigh the probability of a trap. His elbow had healed nicely in the time he had spent in space. Self imposed paralysis of the limb, coupled with regular bacta injections, brought it back into use. It still ached from time to time, but the pain was more of an annoyance than anything. As long as it worked, all was good. To relieve some of the strain on the still healing joint, he got into the habit of wearing the crushgaunt one of his brethren was kind enough to grant him. After taking a scenic route to his destination for safety, he arrived. He could feel them both, together of all things.

This should be interesting.

As he got closer to his assigned destination, he was certain of the presence. His master had returned from the realm of the fallen. Had it been anyone else, Julio would have found this to a monumental event, but as it was Exodus, he expected nothing less. Leaving your body in an ashen ruin in a war torn base, only to be found with an audience with the Dark Lord on a completely different planet wasn't that far of a stretch for the man. Exodus left Dominique alone in the room, both figures with substantially heavier hearts than when he had seen them last. Did either make any strides? Was the charade to continue on as it always had? Julio pushed these thoughts from his mind as he greeted his risen master.

"It would seem you've proven to be Azrael's most elusive prey."

He found his place flanking the titan, keeping stride as they walked to what Julio could only assume to be the hanger. He seemed similar, but something had definitely changed, for better or worse, he didn't know.

"My ship is ready to depart at your leisure."

• 5 months later...

He staggered to and fro through the streets of Kamino, his body swaying to a rhythm his mind cast as memories reawakened in his mind. He kept his eyes closed as his feet moved one in front of the other, the force guiding him to his destination. He sliced the lock and went in. It didn't appear to have be touched since she was last seen. If there were any clues to his Master's disappearance, this was the only place Julio could think of to look. He remembered the scene perfectly. The two star crossed lovers had finally awoken to their respective fates, their shamed dreams dying before ever coming to fruition. A hint of their bitter sweet sadness remain in the cold room, Dominique's presence commanding still, despite her absence. Drifting his attention from the candied air, Julio took particular interest in the far wall. It was decorated much the same as the rest of the room, hardly anything outstanding about it. But there was something there. He could feel it, he could see it. With a meager release the wall shook, a hollow crater now in the exact spot Julio had been staring so intently.

He walked toward the hole, his steps slow and precise, weary of betrayal. His metal shrouded hand move in, quickly taking hold of the small, pyramidal object. It was beautiful to say the least. The woman certainly showed her flare in it's design. The room grew cold, the sound of soft crackling taking Julio's gaze from the small object to the hole in the wall. Dark blue ice had begun to grow around the hole, quickly enveloping the rest of the wall. He began to step back, carefully observing the frozen manifestation as it spread out. Soon the ice was at his feet. With the full extent of his grace he flipped backward toward the door, placing the new trinket in the folds of his cloak before pressing the keypad to open the door. Even still the ice grew, quickly enveloping all the furniture and fixtures housed within the apartment. He palmed the external keypad, latching the door shut. He could hear the ice inside, still growing. He decided to leave before the ice found it's way out of the room and began attracting attention.

His head tilted slightly as his golden eyes bore past the newcomer's mortal coil in hopes to see this man for what he truly was, only to find his attempts futile. Only when the titan spoke did he make his identity apparent. There was no mistaking the smooth, bone chilling utterance that escaped this particular creature's lips. He reached up slowly, as not to provoke the man, removing his mask.

Of course she does Master. She was your creation. The product of your turn at the wheel.

Within the presence of his master, Julio once again felt the security he felt during his apprenticeship. To a degree he always felt that if things got far over his head, Exodus would be there, steadfast before all threat of death and pain. This soon was replaced by an all new sense of paranoid self preservation. Though he was sure Exodus could intercept any threat that stood in their way, what new threat did he bring? Now that Julio had grown stronger in his absence, were his intentions the same? Did he still prize Julio as his one and only apprentice? Was there another? Could he be replaced so readily? If so the matter of dominance among the master's students would have to be settled quickly. Julio pushed the thoughts to the back of his mind as he tried to focus on the matter at hand.

Any news of said lady? Our Dark Lord has been gone from us for some time.

Julio could only stand still as he listened, his whole consumed by his master's presence. He could feel the locals, or some other trivial group coming upon them with the mist. He ignored them as he held on to his master's words, behind them boundless conviction. Exodus had certainly changed in their time apart. Where once his heart held little care for very few things, now his form was set with purpose as he spoke of the order he once despised. As Exodus posed his question, the words lingered in the air, waiting for the only answer Julio was capable of giving.

Your path is my path Master. Where you walk, I shall follow. Be it victory or death.

For the first time since Julio could remember, he felt truly connected to another being. He and Exodus were in complete understanding, their passions matched. Together they would walk through fire and flames and come out tempered.

Besides, they really are one and the same for you, aren't they?

Edited by Guest

A light groan exited him as he watched his master ascend. Struck with the sudden appearance of his master, then cast to survival, Julio suddenly felt weary of the games. He counted them slowly, forming the map in his head. Piece by piece it came together until they began to wither away, as if a light breeze in the force scattered them to pieces in the wind. His eyes clutched desperately at the darkness, darting at inhuman speeds for just a glimpse at these new beasts. Panic began to break through the cracks forming in his confidence, held back only by discipline as he repeated the mantra in his head.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

As the litany rolled on in his head, Julio could begin to feel the small trinket in the folds of his cloak growing cold. His eyes snapped open, the idea seeming so obvious he found himself stupid for not thinking of it sooner. Darkness reveled as his suppression broke free, brought manifest through an eerie stillness in the air. His chest rose slow and high as his eyes stared intently into nothingness, the air sinking and cooling with each exhale. His eyes broke from the void to a small disturbance in the air a few meters in front of him. As the air continued to chill he began to notice more and more rising mists of steam. Even the ones behind him became apparent as

their very life betrayed them with each breath. Julio could start to feel their life escaping them as the crept to. Arms clasped before him, he waited.

Every breath that lingered in the cold air was like a small, personal gift to him, life ticking away at the assailants' betrayal. One of the original ten had become overzealous as he broke away from the group. This him volumes about the masked lot, the lack of coordination a sure sign of lessened training. Either they had not been told the truth of the threat Julio alone presented, or they had simply been used before they were ready. Regardless of the lone deviant's reasons, Julio doubted he would get another chance to thin their ranks so easily.

As the projected blades flew, Julio lurched forward, forcing his torso parallel with the ground as his legs swung up with the flip. The blades flew harmlessly under him as he spun in air. He flicked his legs mid flight to spin himself on a separate axis, his lightsaber finding itself in his hand somewhere in the flight. His right heel caught the ground, his body still in motion of the spin as he brought the crimson blade in a powerful overhead strike while the lightsaber housed in the crushgaunt on his right cleaved upward.

((Wasn't sure if we were treating this by dueling rules or not. If so, I'll give the NPC's the chance they deserve, if not I'll cut through them in a couple posts. Up to you.))

One by one, Julio cut the swarm to shreds. His chest rose and fell steadily as he looked down upon the brutally maimed bodies. If it was a test his master desired, Julio hoped he passed. Surely there'd be many more to come, but he'd have to take them with stride. Julio turned his attention from the beauty his hands created to the lone man who had thought it wise to intervene.

I'm not sure whether to thank you for your assistance or kill you where you stand for taking that man's death from me. Name yourself.

He stood motionless as the untrained spoke, listening to how carefully the man chose his words. His attempts to play at Julio's vanity did nothing but annoy the Sith he worked so hard to attract. The Sith held back his more destructive urges as he snarled behind his bone white mask. With ease, Julio removed himself from Tel'asari's sight, masking himself from whatever he didn't want to see him. The moment he disappeared he had reappeared, directly behind the boy, his voice piercing to his very core.

You know nothing of talent, and your words are an insult to my ears.

The boy had promise. He could feel it coursing through the youngling as the reveille of death rang in his ears. The fact he had killed even one of his would be killers was enough to prove he was of some use, but how was the question. A test was in order. Once again, Julio disappeared from all known forms of sight, only this time he didn't reappear. Now only his chilling voice remained.

If it's darkness you seek, go to Coruscant. There you'll find an...acquaintance of mine. Her name is Atia. Finding her will be your first task.

Julio's words lingered in his head, leaving the question of whether or not he was still there unanswered.

• 8 months later...

An encrypted message comes in from the unwavering nothingness of space, bounced from satellite to satellite from one corner of the galaxy to another. Once Faust's datapad finished decoding the message, it stored it away until opened. A holographic display of his apprentice and it's parallel message was meant for his eyes and his eyes alone.

~~~~~~~

My Master,

I apologize for lack of communication. Much has transpired of late that had to be looked to before I could step away to report on my progress.

My studies have gone well, as well as my physical training as you ordered. The woman turned out to be a greater vault of insight than I could have hoped. However, with such progress, I found that I am of need of time to meditate and reflect to fully grasp the lessons. I'm currently on Ilum, on my way to the abandoned crystal temple. I figured it to be a suitable place for a secluded moment of reflection. The Jedi could return to claim their temple back, and I don't really know how I will handle it should that be the case, but rest assured it will be taken care of.

I did not take care of the situation on Csilla, however. While I was working to make the proper connections, I noticed that there were serious strides of peace at the galactic capital, and felt that a rebellion at such a time would get us more notice than what we were hoping for, so I left the matter for another time.

I'm not sure how long I will stay one Ilum in my time of reflection and meditation, but I will leave at a moment's notice should you need me.

-Your Apprentice

His shuttle cut through the omnipresent cloud cover like a knife, dodging and weaving through potent bolts of sporadic lightning like only a force adept could. At first he wanted to stay in flight, daring to play with fate as long as destiny permitted, but the distant presence of his master reminded him of his duty. With a soft sigh Julio leaned in on the yolk and pushed the shuttle to a dangerously steep descent toward the lone observation platform amidst the expansive sea of unbridled crests. A few hundred meters out from the platform, Julio began to feel the presence of two others, one supposedly this Darla his master spoke of, and another he did not know. While trying to remain mindful of all three presences, Julio brought the shuttle in for a landing. It was somewhat difficult to keep track of the distinctions between the three of them and land a shuttle at the same time, but Julio found that he could manage it with concentration, slipping into a half meditative state right there in the shuttle's seat with little trouble. After his craft landed, he remained in his seat to further widen his perception until it had developed into a passive awareness, leaving him with a soft, glazed shine in his eyes. The dichotomy of his consciousness could be seen in his features, but he didn't let one overcome the other. He had managed to pay attention to things both physical and of the force, and over time he was sure he would be able to do so without so much work.

Walking down the ramp, he let his secondary senses guide him through the platform. Through a few sets of doors and a couple hall ways and he found himself outside the hanger his master and his guests had landed at. But instead of walking in and introducing himself, Julio chose to remain distant, instead reaching out through the doors and across the hanger to graze the mind of his master.

I'm here, as you requested. Do you wish me to meet your guests, or should I retire to my room for now?

With Faust's welcome had come a vision, a series of images and words as of yet unfamiliar to the young apprentice. Julio stood before the door and let the memory play itself out within him before pressing through the door.

Time stood still as the pair held each other in their grim embrace. Their eyes were locked on to one another's, sight no longer clouded by the thick carnal realm, their souls bared themselves whole. Grey danced with crimson to the mortal requiem, both temporarily caught in constant animation. As the two furies waltzed the grey began to falter, the rhythm at a loss to it's senses.

Shh. Don't move. You're in shock now. In a moment, you'll begin to feel light-headed, then drowsy. Don't resist, it's so gentle, like slipping into a warm bath. I regret it came to this, Darla, but every game must have it's end.

The lightsaber had entered her stomach, just below the right ribs, the hilt now flush with her skin. For a moment she just stood with him, will refusing reality till the very last moment. Slowly her knees betrayed her, her body slowly descending to the floor with Julio's guidance. Darla began breathing heavily, struggling to hold on to her battered shell as long as she could. The breathing slowed then stopped, her burning passion calmed by death's insidious caress. His hand glided over her face, hiding her lifeless blue eyes from the world, small bloody streaks sealing the door shut.

A long, staggared sigh escaped in an icy chill as Julio stood in front of the door. Had he killed this woman? If so, why had she returned, and what were these feelings accompanying the vision? It was an odd mixture of anger and disappointment, of failure and concern. Had he cared for this woman at some point? What significance did she hold to him? Questions skittered across his focus as he stood silently, weariness and discomfort nestling into their familiar homes as he was once again confronted by his mysterious self. Now was not the time to let such weakness show, however. These guests of Faust, they held some significance to him in some way, and his first impression would leave upon them a mark that they would carry all their lives. Julio began to compose himself, wrangling in all the unchecked emotions until only carelessness served as his only guise.

He stepped through the door with his hands clasped before him, his gilded eyes passing through the hanger with lightning speed before anyone could notice. Yes, it was the same woman in his vision, as he expected. The thought suddenly struck him that the entire thing could have been a ploy, a memory constructed completely within the bounds of Faust's mind as a means to influence Julio in a particular manner. Either way, Julio would have to just stand back and observe things for himself, saving his judgment for a time when he felt he was more properly informed.

He walked amongst the group without a word uttered, saving the introductions for Faust. He didn't want to interrupt whatever he was saying, and kill the momentum of his message. He stopped some ten feet away from the group, his hands still clasped in front of him, ominous as always in his crimson jacket.

Julio could feel it in the air. A sort of tension that couldn't be forsaken with a soft word or jovial smile, questions fallen upon fear stricken ears with chained tongues, a message cast upon the swirling winds connecting the youth and the man he now called master. It added a sense of mystery to the air, a mystery Julio felt not apart of nor felt far enough apart from to properly see it for what it truly was. He was trapped, somewhere in the middle of it all. Oh, what he wouldn't give for some proper answers, who he wouldn't gladly strangle with his bare hands to unlock this door and let loose the floodgates of what dare not be answered.

Again, Faust mentioned him as a Sith Lord. How could this be if he was still learning the basics like the other two. Admittedly, he had probably received a more direct approach to training than they, but still, he couldn't know that much more than them. Everything still seemed so new, so ready to be challenged. Regardless of Faust's reasoning, Julio chose to remain silent for the moment, instead observing the other two. It was difficult for him to decide which one to watch more intently. Faust had obviously brought him her for something involving this Darla he spoke of, but it was clear from the way he spoke and the way he held his body in expression that Faust's intent was directed toward the other one, the boy with the smell of cleanliness about him. Reflexively, Julio clenched his fists, feeling the metaphorical blood crawl on the surface of his palms. No, this boy was new, not a stain on the soul to be found, at least nothing even worth mentioning. This would be his potential struggle, not the woman. Keeping his body as still as a statue, Julio's eyes locked onto the young man's, predator to prey.

As the young lad stood, his eyes equally locked on to his own, Julio could feel a sense of defiance rise within the boy. He was not afraid, in the general sense, but a base sense of the emotion was stirred within Aerec. Perhaps he was just sizing him up, figuring his chances for survival. Wise, bemused Julio as he offered a short but soft nod in return of the boy's confident grin. Yes, this would be his struggle, but at the moment nothing could be done, especially with his master's knuckles bound tight around his sword. While Faust was around, this new apprentice would have to be treated like any other guest.

Since there was little he could do to solve his problem at the moment, he pushed the subject to the back of his mind and turned his attention away from Aerec, casually shrugging off the lad for another time. For now he turned his attention back toward Faust, awaiting patiently for his command.

• 2 weeks later...

He remained passive as the trio continued their pointless conversation over a droid. As boring as the conversation was, Julio could sense why Faust chose to accommodate the Jedi pair. He was a wolf among the sheep, and even now he proved that he truly was a master at work. Watching his master work was the only thing that really kept the apprentice's attention other than the standard practice of passively observing others. It was beautiful and elegant, if you knew how to look at it.

Now attention was once again turned to him. Faust seemed to want to know Julio's opinion on the matter, but only a fool would think that were the case. Real communication came not from the words a person chose or the inflection they gave to their words, but what their body said. Subtle movements in the body, dilation in the pupils, even the pace at which they took their breath could say more than all the words known to sentients. It was his master's eyes that spoke to him now. He remained silent for a moment, thinking of the precise words he would use to properly express the message he wished the others to understand.

"I think that some training would be good for the boy." His eyes similarly peered into Faust's own as he spoke, slow and steadily, his words very exact with a careful tone. "A different perspective will help him experience the galaxy for what it truly is. If nothing else, it will show him why he chose to join the Jedi in the first place, and reinforce such inclinations."

His gaze now shifted past Faust's shoulder, his golden eyes now peering straight into Darla. "As for the forsaken one, I cannot fully say. I would give her a similar message, but I would not be completely honest if I said that her lack of self awareness was the entirety of my concern. If she does know anything about me, I would like to speak with her and see if it helps." Though his tone had remained calm and calculated, there was a hint of desperation well hidden in the bounds of his voice. Would she notice it? Would his master notice it? The boy? He silently prayed to himself that his momentary weakness had stopped at his lips and fell not on the ears of the others.

His tone bounced back to his even edge, trying to recover from the slip of the tongue, if indeed it had been noticed by the others. "If there is nothing else, I would like to retire for the evening if that is possible. The trip here was less than pleasant, and I've missed out on my meditation for the day."

"Yes, my master." He said softly with a short, formal nod. With nothing left to discuss, or rather nothing left to discuss whilst in present company, Julio spun around and headed down the platform, his long crimson coat fluttering with his quick pace. He didn't want spend any more time there than he had to, assuming an air of hesitation that if he were to remain his tongue might let slip more than he wanted. If Darla chose to follow him, that would be her decision, but he had hoped that his argument was enough to persuade her to assist him.

Once in his room, it took Julio very little time to settle in. Without even so much as removing his coat or freshening up, he immediately knelt in the middle of the floor with his back to the door and began to utter the words he had repeated so many times before. A small catechism held between him and the dark utterance of the force in a sort of quid pro quo, each response opening him up to such terrifying vistas of awareness that would drive any lesser man insane. On and on he muttered to the unseen, ethereal energies basking him in uncontrollable passions he had yet to fully understand.

In utter darkness he remained kneeling in the room. The flame dancing upon the candle wicks that had previously gifted light to the small chamber had been nearly smothered, now mere orbs of grasping luminescence. His speech was little more than audible while his hands slowly traveled from bead to bead on the long black rosary wrapped around his palms. His awareness extended beyond his immediate self, reaching out past the room and treading every so softly to his master and guests. Faust was teaching the boy, their passions slowly growing as caution broke into aggression, their entire forms lashing toward the other. The woman had remained behind, contemplating her options. Her mind was troubled, but Julio decided to pay it no heed. The immediate questions could not be found there, but elsewhere, somewhere deep with the force. He continued his catechism, beckoning the darkness surrounding to answer his call. As his awareness of the external world increased, he found himself ignoring it to look beyond, into the raw flow of the force.

Just as Darla reached the door outside the room, a long exhale escaped Julio, bringing both himself and the candlelight back to the here and now. He still spoke to himself quietly, staying somewhat in meditation to keep mindful of his surroundings while he had his back to a complete stranger. When she entered, he remained still with his back to her. She remained silent for a while, believing him to still be meditating. Still at the door, she spoke up.

"I'm not sure about this meditation thing? I mean... I can't even touch the Force right now. Meditation's not going to change that." Then she knelt beside him. "Maybe we could just talk? Apparently I knew you once. I can't remember that. I can't remember what happened." She paused to take a breath, preparing herself for something. "Faust says you're the man who killed me."

He kept his head lowered, but he ceased the catechism. Opening his eyes for the first time, he said in barely a whisper, "That is...possible."

How much should he tell her, he wondered. If she did know something about him, then she may know how to reverse this curse upon him. But then again, she was still a sheep at heart. I have to be careful with her.

"You can touch the force. It is only your mind that has prevented you from doing so thus far. We are the same, in that regard. I, too, cannot conquer my mind. Even Master Faust is unable to successfully remove the walls within my mind."

"No, not really. Only what Faust has shown me of what he could manage to glean from your subconscious."

He kept staring forward, his thumbs constantly moving between the beads as his meditation continued in a certain sense. Where he would be treading soon would be a dangerous road, and at every crossroads there would be a devil to deal with. It would all be because of this woman, what lie beneath the surface of her mind that would cause much pain and anguish to the young Sith. Still silently whispering to the force he began to recant one prevalent lesson that he had recently come to understand through his meditation.

The Sith is a constantly growing creature. With every new experience, each and every encounter lies the chance for a Sith to learn, and to grow. It us upon the Sith to choose carefully which encounters he exposes himself to, and thus to him to forge his very own destiny.

He had to make a decision, one that would forever change him as a person. Would he venture down this jagged road with Darla, or would he continue down his current path, unhindered yet wholly lacking on progress toward ending his status of amnesiac.

"The door to our past lies in whatever connection we had. If we attempt to reforge the bond between us, it may very well open up that particular chapter of our lives."

His senses perked up as the brisk voice of his master feathered the room. It was done, and the time to move on had come. Now she would have to decide.

"Fear." His lips quivered with the word, spoken in such a sense that he had never felt before. In feeling her fear, saturating the air around them more and more with every rapid beat of her heart, Julio could begin to feel the fear as his own, taking so twisting and conniving a path through his jagged psyche that it was impossible for the young apprentice to trace the emotion to its source. As much as it bothered him to fail at understanding this new hue of emotion, he gathered himself in the only way he knew how and focused on Darla, pushing aside the thought for another time.

"Fear is what has trapped you, Darla. I see it, my master sees it, and...you see it. Do not deny it. Ignoring such simple truths does nothing but keep you imprisoned within your own lie. Your fear, Darla, is what is holding you back."

His hand coasted over to hers, his fist wrapped tightly around something. He sat patiently, waiting for her to turn her hand to receive whatever it was he was offering. "This is my rosary." He said as the soft clatter of wood cut the silence in the room. The dull black beads weren't particularly spectacular, made of some dark wood with plain surfaces. Only a single bead, the beginning and end of the chain, stood out from the rest, taking on a pale, bleached bone facade. "I want you to keep it."

He rose from the floor, the only real movement she had seen out of him since she entered the room. It was time to depart. There was nothing to pack, no souvenirs, no heart felt good byes. All that was required was to obey the simple commands of his master. However, Julio couldn't help feel a pang of loss leaving this place. There had been so much hope of recovery within this girl, yet it all lay dormant, locked beneath the surface just as he had been trapped. Perhaps, if she truly did value the truth enough to overcome herself, she would return to him in time and help him reestablish the connection they once had. "Return it to me when you have stopped running, and are ready to hear the truth." Not so much as a fond farewell escaped their lips as he left the room, possibly as the last time they would see each other. All that remained was the path, and as always, the path would point him forward. To Coruscant.