Carida

Darth Heretic

Feldstar flailed and snarled, pulling at his restraints, the leathers which strained under the massive beast's weight and strength, even when injured and drugged. "You monster! You took my arms! Maybe the Alliance should reclaim the Death Star and DESTROY YOU ALL!!" he raged until the medications took hold of him. Truth be told, he had been given enough to tranquilize a decently sized dewback; still he was conscious and aware - at least somewhat. The drugs were beginning to cloud his mind. Yet, still, he fought. Feldstar knew from his time in the depths of the criminal underworld that passing out usually did not end well for he-that-stopped -playing-the-game.

Even as his body stilled, his heart pounded in his chest; a combination of adrenaline, fear, and other hormonal reactions mixing in an effort to both heal his grievous injuries and keep him in a fight or flight/survival mode. Survival. Feldstar's body at the subconscious and molecular levels was fighting to survive and that would not let him pass out, even when a normal being should have. His heart pounded away, fear and desire mingling with his bloodstream to fuel his survival attempts. Even without arms, the massive whale-like being was a threat.

Through the foggy haze of his mind, Feldstar heard the request and a faint smile crossed his face, my family. They are looking for my weak point.

"I...I want .... want...t-t-to speak to..to my.....ambassador...Qealinn....N-NOW!" he stuttered out before allowing his head to fall forward, his brow wrinkled as he struggled to keep conscious.

A pair of fingers managed to penetrate the scruffy chin fur, itching the skin that was underneath. It was a typical inquisitive look, but Vos was wearing it. It was odd- especially for him to wear that look and have it be genuine... this was where it happened alright. There was no doubt in his mind- this place was tingling as a reaction of his presence. Feeling the subtle wavelengths to him- pleading for his touch- he took a glove off. One at a time they hands emerged; they wanted to tremble; he forced them still. Looking out towards the trees- he let his eyes linger as if he could see each of them in detail- their shadows that were in each crack. Without breaking his gaze from the trees, he stuffed the gloves into his jacket. Turning slowly to gaze at the ground, absently rubbing his hands on each other- his lips parted-

"Alrighty, Fuzzball. I'm still listening if you're here... let's see what happened..." His left hand pulled a datachip out- and with his right hand extended, he reached out to the ground. He pressed his hand into the dust and let the Force show him what happened. He wasn't going to like what he saw- but he had to do this. He pressed his hands into the pine needles on the ground- and into the dust and dirt. A wave of emotion- grim determination and all the way to sorrow. There were other emotions swirling at his touch; he had to control what exactly was happening and how much came into his mind. Finding he was holding a breath in his chest, slowly he released it. The secrets of the pavement, dirt, and needles were no longer secret.

Despite his best efforts, the memories the ground held poured into his mind. Much to the tune of a headache, he felt the pressure flow into his mind- it all unfolded in the blink of an eye. He would need to meditate on this- slow down the flash of movement, well- slow everything down. The Force knew he was in a rush, he was behind in his schedule. The Force had shown him a vision of the future- a possible future. He was to be at Whitehelm, the Imperial operation that was going to take place- or if it was already in progress he didn't know. Part of him wanted to make sure Adenna saw this as well- felt all the energies he did.

Tobias knew she wouldn't be interested in exactly what had happened, or at least reclaiming the body- but he had to see this through. Through the past, he had did some... terrible things, and with the construction of Catnip Station- he owed Kirlocca. Even if the wookiee didn't know it. There would be time later to chase down the Grandmasters killers- but that wasn't to be his priority right now. Transcribing the emotions and energies into the datachip in his left hand- he knew most of the events would be laid bare soon enough and with how he could use the Force- it was time to focus on the holocron now.

While he was glad that Adenna had chosen to remain back on the freighter, he missed her presence, this was orders from the Council- despite everything. He had it in his mind of how he was going to board the ship and what exactly he was going to do once inside. Why was he deciding to cover his rear end? The Jedi were supposed to be those people could trust and rely on. Yet there was that sour taste in his mouth whenever he played through Kashyyyk in his minds eye. Everything he had done was nothing now.

Shaking the thought away- he felt the toxicity from the memory he just absorbed clouding his mind, Tobias would follow the instructions of the Council. Cult. Even after he had tried so hard to coordinate efforts and bring everything he had been ordered to do into light- his mouth is what got him in trouble. The Cult was still trapped in their ways. He wanted to see the galaxy healed, the Jedi to take their rightful place as protectors. No- they wanted to retreat back to wherever they wanted- wherever the Cult decided was best for the Jedi.

No, he would make sure the Holocron was safe- and has he entered the spaceport- his own ship a few circles down. There was the wookiees ship, and after conferring with Spaceship Control- made sure that they knew to expect its liftoff soon, as well as his own.

The search was fast- the Holocron called to him- and he followed it willingly. The deed was done- the holocron was held steadily in his hand- gazing at it, many questions came to his mind- what did it hold? Lost in his thoughts, his comm twiddled- Adenna. She was correct- they needed to go. With a gloved hand, he put the holocron into his robes- and sent the Wookiees’ ship to space- there was a small navigational program that he designed, that way he would make sure the Wookiee’s ship made its way back to safety. The same program would blanket jam any tracking beacons or remote activation. The hanger it was being sent to was under a mountain and in a deep valley that blocked most of the transmissions in the area.

That safety was not with the Jedi. Jaina would not be getting this holocron anytime soon. The second they removed him from the council- he was removed from the Jedi Order. He would keep up the ruse, he was not their errand boy. A hutt had once used in such a manner- and he would not return to that role ever. Besides- the orders he received did not mention returning it to Ossus, or anything, just to retrieve it. Vos, after you retrieve the holocron Master Skywalker mentioned, I want you to coordinate with the Imperial Knights in investigating Kirlocca's death. Was the exact wording- he was remembering the meeting. He was still following orders, assignments, whatever. Going back, he corrected himself- it was just Darex who maneuvered in such a manner. Regret flowed through Vos, the two of them would have made a great team. And despite the new grandmasters’ proclamations of not wanting to change things immediately, and how taken off balance that he had been by being named grandmaster- he pushed the Kiffar out within the first meeting, all because Vos was stressed. As a follow up reaction- Vos rolled his eyes, and realized that Darex knew exactly what was going to happen at that meeting. It was all orchestrated out, it was obvious now.

It had started with Dahar, he helped Dahar because through it all- they were… friends? Tobias respected Dahar, despite their first meeting. Out of the respect blossomed a- strained- turned respectful relationship with Kirlocca and Xae. But Xae betrayed him as well- and she was no longer in his mind. Kirlocca trusted him- outright- no hesitation. Or, didn’t care about what Vos did, and knew he was doomed once he came to Carida. Adenna was with him, and Sandy was on her way- the Jedi didn’t need him anymore. And he did not need the Jedi. Besides- whatever material their robes were, he was allergic to them. On that alone, he would not be welcome.

Relaying to Jaina, via Carida Communications, that he had retrieved the holocron and sent Kirlocca’s ship to a safe harbor- he signed it, but not as she would suspect. Sometimes- he liked to push back, the Jedi pushed whoever around all the time- they were not used to their pawns pushing back. Boarding his ship that still needed to be named- he paused halfway up the boarding ramp. Tilting his head- his eyes started to slip away and see beyond the ramp. Ni, the socialable PIT droid, stood at the top of the ramp and rotated his head to the side to try and figure out what he was looking at. A small smiled played across his lips with an accompanying chuckle.

A few ideas for a name came across his mind- but he decided against setting it in stone. After making sure his new purchases were aboard, he gave the signal to lift off. Within a few moments, they were airborne- heading to Nal Hutta, and the Imperial Operation that was being staged there.

Aboard were fresh VAC-Suits, as well as two LO-LO Suit. Well, three. Low-Orbit/Low-Opening planetary drop suit. Fresh food, water, First aid, and so on. He’d make sure they were ready, and that awesome premonition he had would come true, or at least he prepared for it. The stars turned to lines- and the shot off. After the blue modelling came over the viewport- he walked back to his quarters to see what Adenna was up to.

While Tobias went into the planet to investigate Kirlocca's death, Adenna stayed on the ship and spent her time meditating. There was much she needed to sort out regarding the upcoming battle. It had been some time since she had truly unleashed herself in a fight, and she was worried about how Tobias would view her when she did.

Back on Thalassia, she had encountered the true horror of the slavers that she hadn't seen even living there. When she did, she couldn't simply allow the slavers to get away without justice. Hundreds had been captured or surrendered to Thalassian authorities. Most of them had no money and thus were quickly found guilty and either executed or thrown in very dark cells forever. Some of the more wealthy or connected slavers were able to bribe their way to much lighter sentences in a sickening display of how corruption worked.

When Tagor Desparj was able to get away with a mere five year sentence in a minimum security prison despite being the head of a slaver organization that had enslaved hundreds of thousands, Adenna knew the justice system was broken, and she wasn't alone. There were some within the Thalassian government who were not corrupt and who refused to sit by idly as this injustice was carried out. They worked behind the scenes to get Adenna and the anti-slaver task force she headed, ThalTek, judicial authority to determine sentences and carry them out on any slavers not actually on Thalassia. The task force became judge, jury, and executioner and they were quite content to fill that role. Overnight, the number of slavers who were captured dropped drastically as ThalTek executed their necessary but admittedly harsh justice upon the scum of the Galaxy.

Adenna knew it wasn't the Jedi way, but it was both legal and right. She also worried that if the Jedi Order actually found out real way she helped clean up Thalassia and its surrounding space, they would recall her. So, she and her fellow ThalTek officers frequently altered reports to explain the suddenly low rate of captures and surrenders during their missions.

Going into Nal Hutta, Adenna worried that the desire to execute justice would bring out a side of her that even Tobias would object to. Her heart had no mercy for slavers and she didn't want to see the worst of them slip through the cracks of the justice system and get off. Perhaps the Remnant was more efficient at that, but she doubted it. The old Empire was full of corruption.

While meditating, she worked to calm her center, to control the slowly nibbling voice in the deepest regions of the back of her mind telling her to slaughter them all. It took time, but she was able to resist that side of her and bring her soul to a more peaceful state. She would have to control herself down there, otherwise the Hutt slavers would come to know her as the Blue Death just as the Thalassian slavers did.

She felt Tobias return and came out of her meditation. Standing up and brushing her typical blue robes off, she met him in the doorway of the room they had been practically sharing for the last few weeks and went to greet him. "Did you find what you needed?" she asked.

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

Vos met Adenna at the doorframe, he smiled as soon as he saw her physically- he could almost always feel her within the Force. His smile was weary, but he kissed her lightly on the cheek as it was. As she asked what he deduced- he nodded.

"Since time is a bit of a factor right now- and we will have down time- I infused this datachip-" He held up his datachip that he had in his left hand. "- with the memories and feelings of the events surrounding Kirloccas' final moments." Moving past her, he went into the room and activated the drawing table that was in there. A full meter and half wide- and two meters long- parallel with the bed. Entering in passcodes, phases, a small blood sample, retinal scan, and some manipulation with the Force- the giant drawing surface of the table opened. A small drawer was there- holding a few other sensitive objects. Datapads, chips, a metal frame of some sort, two power cells, and a few other unimportant looking pieces of metal. In his gloved hand- he held a Jedi Holocron. Holding it out for Adenna to observe, he replaced the datachip into a holding spot on the table. the drawer looked to be made of rock- almost like black volcanic rock- but if she got a good look- she would realize it was cortosis. This was a drawer made to hold several secrets- away from lightsabers and blasters.

"I'll review it later during hyperspace- something very... odd happened out there. Too much for me to bring into myself all at once. But, Jaina said to snag this." He held up the Holocron in a gloved hand. And in a tone to mimick her voice- "Since you're going to Carida, you might as well get this and bring it back to me." The tone dropped with a snort, showing his opinion of that statement. There was shift in his force signature as well, somewhere in there he turned cold. A sense of betrayal and full circle would be deduced if Adenna analyzed it. "I sent them a message and said that my mission is... complete- Kirloccas' ship is en route to a safe location, and I have the holocron."

He sighed, holding the cube out for her to examine. His presence in the Force shifted, resigning somehow. "Part of me wants to keep it- learn from it, see what it holds. Another part of me wants to destroy it- solely for the fact that Jaina wants it. Another part of me wants to throw it into the Maw so no one can have it. The Jedi Master side of me says to send the ship and holocron back to Ossus."

It was clear that Vos was implying that he had not sent Kirlocca's ship back to Ossus. Handing over the Holocron to her, Vos sighed- and sat down on the stool that was there for his drawing table. The room wasn't a suite, but it still was big enough to hold a bed, closet, and this table and stool. "I leave whatever is to be done with the Holocron, to your judgement, Jedi Alluyen. My judgement is cloudy- and...shifting."

Vos pulled up a schematic of the old Catnip Station- this one obviously a upgraded version. He started to draw a few lines- erase some other lines. It was something to keep his idle hands and mind busy, he was still connected to the conversation. The body language he demonstrated wasn't one of disinterest, just tired. The transcribing of emotions and events had clearly taken a toll on Vos's energy.

"We have to get a hold of Sapphire and Emerald," Kalen said abruptly, patently ignoring the sudden insight Ammi professed. "Amethyst, you and the droids get set up for the concert. We need to keep our heads up."

With a nervous twitch, he ran a hand through his hair. "This is a bad place for us to be right now."

Even though she had been right, and even though it was grievous to their business endeavors, Kalen was grateful for the interruption such that he did not have to offer any explanation. Not only that, but her insinuation that he had some precognitive or extrasensory abilities had his head reeling. He did seem to see things before they happen, and he did tend to know what people's cards were before they were laid on the table...

But it wasn't possible. Couldn't be. And even if it were, there was nothing he could do about it. Nothing he would do about it.

Was there?

SSCqLuf.png

A comm arrives for Kalen Lorell, heavily encrypted and rerouted multiple times.

Kalen,

We were coming to Carida for the concert but it looks like events back home are a little out of control. Meet us on the other side. Keep it together, the nerd's getting nervous.

Em

emerald2.png

Ammi's mood sobered again right away and she nodded. She'd been in some bad situations before, but being in the capital planet of a hostile force actively targeting a group you were affiliated with was a brand new one for her. She in many ways quietly supported what the Empire was trying to do. She detested slavery, and if she'd known about the Gems' alliance with the Sith, that would have been a very serious strain on their relationship. The other vices and problems that permeated Nar Shaddaa, she would gladly see fixed, but she also was enough of a realist to think that the Empire had its work cut out for them. Either they'd be ineffectual, just driving illicit markets into other channels or places, or the anti-corruption efforts themselves would get subverted. It was quite depressing if one really dwelled on it long enough.

"I'll get on the concert at once," she promised, giving her head a tap. "Kalen, stay safe. I'm going to likely be taking some risks here with today's show," she cautioned, "but I owe it to the three to see if I can salvage some good will or a reprieve."

Ammi did the one thing that made sense then, and took a nap, recharging herself, affording herself a few precious hours of sleep to get over her bout of drinking and to also get he energy levels back up. She slept fitfully, too disturbed by recent events to dream. There were no nightmares this time, which was a blessing in itself. On waking, she sprung into action and started back to the venue. 4L-T0 and B45-50 had worked during that time to get the instruments over, 4L-T0 spending time in getting the lighting array and sound systems set up while B45-50 fine tuned the instruments. Ammi showed up and called them into a huddle, being very, very clear what she was going to say to kick off the concert, what songs they were going to play, and the message they meant to impart at the end. M3Z-Z0 and 50P-R4N0 hovered by protectively the entire time, passively listening. They started to "get" their charge now and understood the fine line she was going to try to walk in her show, knowing a false step could bring the wrath of the Empire or the Gems down on her head.

Ammi felt bad about it, but she kept Kalen out of the loop for the time being. She thought he'd support her and would look out for her, but if things went wrong either way, she wanted to make sure he wasn't likely to run afoul either party.

"... and that's how we'll conclude the show, take our bows, and walk off stage. Any questions?" she asked, her gaze falling over her two bandmates and then her guard droids.

"Just one" B45-50 said, delivering his question straight. "What could possibly go wrong?"

The three broke into nervous, tense laughter. To their surprise, M3Z-Z0 and then 50P-R4N0 joined in at the end, understanding the irony in that statement.

Pulling aside, Ammi sent out a private comm directed to ISB agent Kyle Valennia:

Mister Valennia. This Ammi 'Amethyst' Wolfstar. We'd spoke earlier at the Archives. I wanted to let you know that the offer to attend the concert still stands. If you or anyone else in the service wants to attend from you hardworking trooper on up to a Grand Admiral or beyond, that'd be great and if there's extra seats, they're on me for them.

The message delivered, Ammi spent the remaining time up until the show practice and going through the different numbers. She tried to save her voice, letting her fingers do their work, mentally preparing the speech she wanted to give to kick things off.

Before long, the curtain rose...

Forgiveness is a rebirth of hope and a reconstruction of dreams. Once forgiving begins, dreams can be rebuilt. When forgiving is complete, meaning has been extracted from the worst of experiences.

- Beverly Flanigan.

The Agent nodded at the large whale like creature restrained in the bed. He motioned for the nurse to plug in another round of tranquilizers, there was no reason to torture the poor thing to death. Especially if he was an asset to be used in negotiations. As the drugs took hold the agent leaned down and informed him that, “The ambassador is enroute, and will arrive when you next regain consciousness. You needn't worry about torture, we are the New Empire, not the old. Now sleep.”

He sat back and began to compose his report to the council, outlining his findings. By the time Gik awakened there would be his legal counsel and the diplomatic teams of his homeworld to see him. Albeit under heavy imperial guard.

Jacobin, sat back reviewing departure recordings from the area of the crimes. Only a few had launched from the mountain region, and within the hour that they had stopped getting broadcasts from the ISB agent and when the autopsy identified he had died there were only two ship that had left that area, and only one that had come from the direct scene of the crime before blasting off into hyperspace.

The Helios

Now who did that belong to?

The broadcasted registration belonged to Lemnos Industries from the Imperial Protectorate of Nubia. An ally and prospective supplier of droids to the imperial military. That couldn't be. The ship had landed to take part in the Gala before heading into the mountains. He touched a few keypads and a request to pull footage from the security cams in the Gala was sent to the Moff Council and Head of State Zinthos, marked “Priority Urgent” And heavily encrypted.

Kyle Valennia walked alongside a cadre of off duty ISB agents into the concert. His heart secretly yearning to get another glimpse of the young starlet. He and his friends, dressed in civilian blues, with their off duty weapons slung on their sides smiled up from the front row. Kyle gave a wave to the lovely woman and joined in the rising applause. This was the first concert he had attended since his youth, and the first one he had ever been to where they served overpriced alcohol. Which he would gladly imbibe upon as the concert continued. In the back of his mind he was saddened that he couldn't have helped the beautiful woman more, and he vowed that he would if she asked him for anything else.

Raven_3_Sig.png.fa6e284bec4ff42ba02901e8567b2f87.png

Pretender to the Galactic Throne

Leader of the Rebel Alliance

Ammi wanted to make sure that M3Z-Z0 and 50P-R4N0 kept Kalen busy during the start of the concert. She stepped backstage a few minutes before, checking her outfit, choosing a shimmering purple dress, amethyst in color naturally, her hair down and flowing, her wolf's head pendent worn on the outside. She still kept her daggers, the wolf's head from her parents, as well as the one she got on Nar Shaddaa, belted to her waist, intending to use them as part of her show later. B45-50 and 4L-T0 still found it a novelty that there were additional hands and stage crew to help them prepare the instruments and set up after two years of having to care for everything themselves.

The lights dimmed and slowly the curtain rose, revealing Ammi front and center, guitar in one hand, and a microphone in the other. She heard the announcer introduce Amethyst Wolfstar of the Galaxy GlobeTrotters, then spoke up, surveying the crowd. She could feel the energy coming from them and tried to attune herself to it, once more drinking it in. She didn't think about it this time, just letting it happen. It was positive, and that fueled her.

"Hello, Cardia!" she called aloud. "Thank you all for attending." She prepared this speech in her mind several times. "In the day I've been here preparing for the concert, your hospitality has been stunning." She caught Valennia in the front row and blew him a kiss and waved back. There were quite a number of civilians in the crowd, but if she focused on individual audience members, she could get a sense of they were military or civilian. She didn't linger though and moved on.

"My papa used to often repeat a quote from the famous Supreme Chancellor Nots'niw Templehill that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." She waited a moment, letting that sink in and get a laugh from her audience, showing she didn't take herself too seriously and while she'd poke a bit of fun, it was all in good humor. "All the same, your dedication and traditions have provided a beacon of order in this Galaxy." She drew in a deep breath, still smiling, getting down to the crux of what she wanted to say.

"Before I begin, wanted to give a few words to salute the job you're doing against both slavery and combatting the Sith's oppression," she said, her tone serious and grave. "My birth parents were killed by the Sith before I was adopted, and my adopted mother, my mama, was rescued from slavery in vile the pit that's called Curst. Whatever else, your efforts are making a positive difference in the Galaxy, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart." Her words came out powerfully, Ammi being 100% sincere when she said them.

After the thunderous applause died down that, she continued. This was the hardest part of her speech, and where she'd struggled the most. "It's no real secret that my record label's based off Nar Shaddaa," she said giving a nervous little laugh and a grimace. "My employers were gracious enough to sign me on after I kinda sorta crashed one of their parties to perform for all of the celebrities there. I wasn't on Nar Shaddaa long before starting my tour, but I could see they were doing their best to bring a semblance of order to that chaos given their resources when I left." She let that sink in. It was true enough that she felt comfortable saying it.

"Evils like slavery will need your help to get stamped out as it has no place in Nar Shaddaa or the Galaxy at large. Cleaning it up's going to be a long, long effort, especially if you have to fight with an unwilling populace and don't have anyone in your corner to fight with you. But, I'd just ask, before y'all paint a broad brush on everyone from the Smuggler's Moon, just remember, it's because of three of those entrepreneurs and their interest in sponsoring legitimate ventures there I'm able to perform for you today. Coincidentally, it's also those three who are financing the rest of my tour... and um, the GlobeTrotters in general now, so if this is suddenly my last stop on the tour and my new Diamond Memoriam recording doesn't come out, you'll all know why." She gave another silly laugh at that.

It was a small PR shot across the bow for the Gems in the heart of Imperial territory, Ammi doing her best to thread a middle course between speaking out against pure evils, but also stating that her employers weren't as bad as the Imperials, or Ammi herself naively, might be lead to believe. She was glad to see Valennia again, but also hoped too her message would resonate up through the chain from him and his friends. It was a long shot, but she'd spoken her piece. Now she just hoped Valennia wasn't going to be here to arrest her after the concert was over.

"Just remember on Nar Shaddaa to watch out though, 'cause Scoundrels Shoot first, hit it!" 4L-T0 started drumming, and B45-50 picked up right away with the back up for the bass guitar.

She launched into that song. There was one line that caused some contention with B45-50 and 4L-T0. Ammi refused to change it, even given the make up of the audience.

• Watch out so you don't meet your final fate.
    'specially if you're a buckethead and can't shoot straight!

At that, a small bit of coordination with 4L-T0 and the venue owner paid off, the lighting from above appearing to shoot "lasers" down from the ceiling, which Ammi with a look of surprise ended up "dodging". She kept dancing to avoid getting "shot", narrowly avoiding each one with a look of panic, still playing and singing the entire time, eventually getting "hit" on the last stanza right in the backside and slumping down as the notes faded. The audience roared with laughter before breaking into applause, Ammi rising up and taking a bow.

The rest of the concert went on swimmingly. Ammi kept the songs cheerful and uplifting, opting for more humor and heart racing pieces than her slower and more emotional ones. She concluded with a song she'd written for military types, initially having the old Rebellion for the Alliance in mind, but given the job the Imperial Remnant was doing, she thought it fit perfectly to cap off her performance.

"Alright Cardia! You've been a wonderful audience. You're the best! You hear me,

"

• Everything like a dream
    You always make me scream
    Just like a shooting star run
    through my heart!

I know you're there
    because you care
    about the Revolution

Protecting lives we must
    They will instill their trust
    I'll be there for you
    Anytime you call or comm
    Baby just call...

I miss you, baby!

Don't turn back for anyone
    The Sith are wrong, so please be strong!
    You will not be alone!

Don't stop!

Your wounds
    will heal in time.

So ease your mind
    Succeed and rest
    You are the best!

Ammi sang at her best too. On the third stanza, she broke out her daggers, spinning and flashing them as she spun and danced, the purple and blue gems in each flashing brilliantly and shimmering, making a dazzling display. This concert was going great! Her best ever! She could feel the energy from the crowd building up to a crescendo of its own. So much vibrancy and good will lurked beneath Cardia's stolid military surface that it surprised even her.

Best concert ever!

"...and so Miss Amethyst, I think you're up there with Han Solo and Luke Skywalker after this," 4L-T0 concluded, his vocal chips nearly making a chortling noise. B45-50 just face palmed with one hand, applying a disinfectant to Ammi's shoulder with the other. The cut looked like it'd only just broken skin.

"How so?" Ammi asked, her face red, covering it with one of her hands, the other clutching a blanket to her chest.

Her shoulder was fine and not what was bothering her. She got too pumped up, too lost in the crowd's energy, and got too enthusiastic with some of her dancing at the end in the song's concluding notes when she crossed her arms, and the sent the daggers across her chest with a flourishing spin. There was a faint stabbing sensation as the amethyst embedded dagger cut into her shoulder... and before then, the strap of her dress.. and also through bit more fabric, ultimately causing Ammi to shriek and run red-faced and screaming off stage just as the song concluded. On one hand, the audience might have thought it was part of the show instead of her just being careless and clumsy. On the other hand, that might also be much more likely to get her arrested than any of her earlier comments. She didn't catch Valennia's face, too busy in trying to cover up and run off stage, but imagined that the agent, as well as his comrades were likely shocked by her... display. She just groaned.

"You've managed to single-handily embarrass the entire Empire with one move." 4L-T0 cracked in his wry voice, breaking out into a slow, steady chuckle. Ammi groaned again, swatting angrily at 4L-T0, then cried out in pain as her hand hit him square in his metal chest.

"Still put on a damn good show," B45-50 chimed in, trying to raise Ammi's spirits, applying a small patch to the wound, his nimble fingers then mending the tears in her straps.

Ammi just wondered if M3Z-Z0 and 50P-R4N0 kept Kalen busy the entire time, hoping that he wouldn't have objected to her opening to the show and definitely hopeing he hadn't seen her as it ended.

Forgiveness is a rebirth of hope and a reconstruction of dreams. Once forgiving begins, dreams can be rebuilt. When forgiving is complete, meaning has been extracted from the worst of experiences.

- Beverly Flanigan.

Jacobin sat and began to review the emergency forwarded holocams for the Gala, looking specifically for the representatives of Lemnos Industries of the Imperial Protectorate of Nubia. It would be done soon enough.

Kyle Valennia and the rest of the Imperial crowd were shocked at the revealing display from Wolfstar but were even more concerned with her message about Nar Shaddaa. It seemed that she was thinking that the Imperials were there for some other motive than helping people. Luckily the populace knew from the hololnews that the imperial troops deployed on Nar Shaddaa were in the process of doing the best that anyone had ever done for the planet. Cleaning off the scum and villainy. If Wolfstar needed a new record label, surely Imperium Musicians Lmt would extend a hand with a generous sum attached. Which they of course did immediately after concert close. It was a good concert though so Kyle made his way backstage and knocked on her door. Concern on his voice.

“Is everything all right Ammi? Do you need medical attention?”

"-and furthermore, how dare you?! Do you know how large that crowd was?!" Ammi yelled, her anger directed at 4L-T0, who kept up the smart remarks about her... wardrobe malfunction.

"Why B45-50, I think her face is about as red as a Sith's lightsaber, or maybe a red giant? She looks like she's about to go nova."

"4L-T0..." B45-50 warned, trying to shush the laughing droid.

"Listen here, you pfassking mir'sheb droid," Ammi said hotly. "I don't care if it my hand breaks over your vaping head, I-"

They froze, hearing the knock. Ammi's buried her face in her hands. "Ka-" she starts to call, the name not making it past the first syllable when she hears Valennia's voice at the door. She gulped, her heart racing. Kalen... Where was Kalen? Or had her orders to waylay him been executed too well?

The voice was... gentle and she detected genuine concern. She looked at 4L-T0 and B45-50. They both nodded.

"Ah, please come in, Agent Valennia," she said, giving a nervous little laugh to hide some of the embarrassment, her face definitely about as red as a lightsaber. "I'm fine, thank you. It was just a scratch that's been treated by B45-50 here and my stupid, flimsy, di’kutla outfit took the worst of it... " she sighed, eyeing the amethyst gemstone dagger where it lay on a table. Prophetic that she cut herself on the Gems' gift, or just clumsiness and bad luck?

- Beverly Flanigan.

Adenna looked at the holocron Tobias gave her with a distant, unreadable gaze. She didn't know what it held, but it had to be important if Kirlocca decided to put part of his essence into it. She hadn't seen the Wookiee in some time, but he had helped her in her crucial transition from a shy young woman into a Jedi Knight and she had always wanted to know more of his wisdom.

"We will keep it," she said, "at least for now." She would return it if they came across Jaina again, but would not go out of their way to do so, not just yet. She had some things she wanted to see first.

She didn't miss the emotions coming from him: his disillusionment with the Jedi Order and the Council specifically were understandable though regrettable. She wished that things had gone quite differently on Kashyyyk, but she didn't blame him for his feelings after the Council turned down all the hard work he had put in. It was a choice she found both difficult to comprehend and quite disappointing herself.

"What is your impression of the Imperials?" she asked. She was intrigued with the new direction of their leadership, but wasn't convinced they were anything a Jedi should be involved with, not after so many decades of very bad blood.

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

He set the pen down as he put the holocron into the hidden drawer and sealed it away with a nod of approval. Purposfully keeping his eyes away from her, Vos chewed his lower lip in thought. As he did, his hand found the pen again and tapped it against the screen with a subdued noise of impact. After a moment, the pen stopped bobbing up and down, and he shifted his hips on the seat and leaned onto the table.

"I can sense Head of State Raven wants to do the right thing- and with the military operation they just conducted, I'm willing to look at them with a hopeful mindset. But- she has a long way to go, especially with the Moffs and the previous campaigns against the Jedi and whatever else in the galaxy. I've reviewed a few reports about the Imperial Knights, and even spoke with their leader...." Tobias squinted as if trying to focus on a visual recreation of the events with their leader- Kyrie. Then silently nodded- "She's an exorcist, from within the Order. Raven and the Imperials won't lose their way back into darkness with Kyrie watching over them. Raven is young, but she is very sharp."

He let his lids fall and reopen with a measured blink. "I have a feeling you've gotten the same impression? C'mon Jedi Knight. Observations?" The latter half of that statement was in his best official tone. Adenna's observations were always enlightening.

"I can't turn my back on you for one damn second," Kalen said as he burst into the room, his comlink clutched in one hand. His face was flushed and he seemed disheveled. The news of the recent developments on Nar Shaddaa was not surprising, but it was telling that all the information he seemed to be able to get his hands on concerning the siege came from Imperial propaganda outlets. The Gems had gone dark, which led him to believe that the Naptime protocol had been engaged.

In that case, what Ammi had just done was possibly the WORST course of action.

"We need to go, now," he said just as he took the form of the Imperial agent in. Immediately his demeanor changed, the slick and perfect gentleman returning to the forefront. "Excuse me, we haven't been properly introduced. I'm Kalen Lorell, Miss Amethyst's business manager."

He extended his hand to Valennia, but his concerned eyes stayed with the turquoise-eyed starlet. "Are you all right?"

SSCqLuf.png

Hadn't heard Kalen's approach, jumping with a start when he came in and the door flew open, revealing both Kalen and Agent Valennia in the same moment.

At once, 4L-T0 and B45-50 moved in front of Ammi, putting themselves between her and Kalen. Their posture wasn't threatening, but it never was. M3Z-Z0 and 50P-R4N0 could be seen hurrying up behind her manager, pausing outside the room, taking stock of the situation.

An uneasy silence ran through the air in that moment, Ammi shrinking back in her seat. She turned her head away, clutching her pendant tightly. She had the best of intentions, knowing that any display of force or power wouldn't help her employer's somewhat dubious cause. It was either a battle of stealth or of wills and she expected more trouble from the Imperials than from Kalen and the rest out of this.

She had both Kyle Valennia and Kalen Loren in frame for a moment, both standing before her, both seeming to be diverging paths she could take. Some part of her wondered if she should stay put, just cut her losses and sing for a cause she thought she could believe in if things were on the level. But Ammi wouldn't, couldn't do that. She owed the Gems and Kalen, owing the latter greatly for his support through some times that were the most trying she'd had. She'd given her word to Kalen and the Gems to be their songbird and she felt honor bound to follow through.

Ammi wisely said nothing, just nodding at the need to go. 4L-T0 helped her up, giving a pat on her uninjured shoulder, while B45-50 loomed in between Kalen and Ammi. Escorted by 4L-T0, she tried to compose herself as she walked out, taking her guitar in hand. She tried to hide how unnerved she felt, pausing at the doorway when she heard Kalen's question.

She took a deep breath, giving a tight smile, her voice as cheerful and measured as possible. "I'm fine. Just had a little cut and embarrassment... which is ah... par for the course sadly. Kyle here's been a perfect gentleman." She gave 4L-T0 and Kalen a sharp look. "Unlike some people in this room," she added quietly with a more relaxed smile. "Ah, Agent Valennia, thank you," she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek and then turned to walk out, keeping her eyes forward, refusing to look back until she reached her ship.

- Beverly Flanigan.

Adenna shrugged. "From what I am seeing, the Head of State seems on the right path, but then, there are many within the Remnant that don't follow. Look at what happened on Bespin. Yes, it is Black Sun controlled, but the Imperials there went in to destroy everything including the civilians. It does show that others are within her ranks are not exactly in line with her."

She sat down on Tobias' bed and started running her fingers over the lacquered wooden hilt of her lightsaber. "The Imperial Knights seem quite interesting. They are organized, very martial, and seem to be more skirting the dark side than may be healthy. I understand their position, it is one I have ventured too close to in the past. Not sure what to do with it, but I like the idea of someone taking the fight to the Sith and I am not so sure the Jedi Order will. I want to see how things fall in practice before I decide which path best suits me. Words have meaning, but action in the face of adversity mean far more."

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

Vos straightened and turned to look the woman as she sat down. His eyes darted for a moment as his mind raced with the possibilities and options. Cautiously he let the fresh idea roll off his tongue- brainstorming was never a bad thing... supposedly...

There is a third option: What if we just do our own thing? Jedi are too hesitant and hypocritical. Imperials are... Imperials... the GA is nothing but burrocracy. I have more than enough credits for us... we would lose certain options and resources....” he sucked his teeth- he held out his hands and shrugged- opening the silence to his idea and conveying he wasn’t particularly attached to the idea.

Adenna shook her head. "No. I spent my time dedicated to Thalassia and did a lot of good there, and some not so good things. I have learned that, as a Jedi, we are needed to help far more people than just one little corner of the Galaxy. I am not saying we should turn our backs on the Jedi Order or embrace the Remnant, but I think we should stay and help in the larger fight. If everyone simply picks up and leaves to their own little ventures, the Sith will simply take more and more of the Galaxy."

She looked up at Tobias. "We need to do something that will show the Jedi Order they can't just ignore the Sith and play defensive. Maybe if we can find such compelling evidence of the terror they are planning, they will be appalled enough to take action. Is there anything that you can remember from your days as a Sith that could help us expose their operation and its purpose? Any old Sith bases that might be revitalized and in use now?"

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

With that last question a prickle of cold shock ran through his spine. He quickly averted his eyes, scanning the floor and ceiling- then back to the Datachip he had. He really didn't know how to respond, did he know? Focusing, he dredged his memory. He didn't want to retrace his steps this way, but... he might as well. With a long sigh, he straightened and closed his eyes- concentrating.

"This is whole new league of Sith that are out and about- and I was mostly kept to Slicer's own bases and musings... I do remember two places... we could try both places require us to start back home." Vos opened his eyes, a sign of regret and... something else. Hesitation, but also a dedication. Mixed with other emotions.

He reached over and keyed for the intercom "Ni- prep the ship for lift off. Load jump pattern 'R-Value' with one of my older encrypt codes- pre-Jedi. I'd like to leave as soon as *legally* possible."

Turning his attention back to Adenna- he shrugged. "If you wanted to wait, or have other business to attend to- or check in with the council, we can make detours."

His signature within the Force seemed a little shy, with a mix of defeat. This was going to be a confusing time for him- especially after Qaela shredded his mind and he was welcomed Beyond Shadows. His first steps had to be retraced it seemed...

Dogging her footsteps, flanked by the cadre of droids, Kalen ascended the ramp to the Galactic GlobeTrotter behind Ammi. No sooner had the ramp hissed shut behind him than his voice broke the quiet.

"I'm glad you're okay," he offered lamely, in a rare display of authenticity. Pirates, smugglers, and con men didn't value the things that this firebrand of a human did. Ammi lived at the intersection of normal and extraordinary, but one thing that was apparent was her genuine nature. She was extraordinary, and every single one of her billion raving fans knew it, but she was only extraordinary insofar as she was incredibly normal. She was the best of the galaxy and it was only because she didn't know it herself.

"I can't raise the Gems on the comm, I think they've gone to ground. But I also don't know what they want us to do next." He shrugged. "I know the Empire offered you a deal with one of their labels. If that's the route you want to go at this point, I wouldn't blame you."

Suddenly self-conscious about the level of caring and concern displayed on his face, Kalen walked Ammi into the main hold of the GlobeTrotter and stood awkwardly near the door as though preparing to disappear. "I know how to disappear in places like this, so if you're going on without me from this point I won't take it personally. Just say the word."

SSCqLuf.png

As Ammi entered the ship, she took a deep breath, one hand to her chest, the other pulling her guitar even closer to her, unaware of how much tension she felt between her rather ignominious exit from the stage and now. She turned around, aware that Kalen and the others were all looking at her. The 4L-T0 and B45-50's expressions were, as always, unreadable, but something in their posture told her they were uneasy. M3Z-Z0 and 50P-R4N0 watched, seeming to have a wariness in their form, more external. And then Kalen...

She heard his first words, shoulders slumping. She was okay, wasn't she? "Thanks," she whispered. She felt like a vaping idiot now, not even considering her mishap with the daggers while dancing. She set her guitar down, not able to make eye contact. What was going on between the Gems and the Empire was much, much bigger than her, and trying to insert herself into the middle of it was foolhardy. Still, she believed she was paving the way for change, good change. Maybe.

She looked up as Kalen reported comm silence. That wasn't good at all. Ammi just nodded, curling her hands into fists. There were plans they'd made, touring, the premier for Diamond Memoriam and more. Then Kalen's next words caught her off guard. Surprise registered, her face quickly settling into a familiar mask. Leave the Gems and become a songbird for the Empire... Leave Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, and Kalen, leave the crew she'd worked with on Coruscant, and get the backing of the Empire to perform and make her music?

She brought her hands together, having come to this crossroads earlier, but having Kalen state it so clearly, did it change things?

She walked up to Kalen, moving slowly. Her eyes were shifting as she walked, going between a soft green to a more solid blue, flickering in time with her emotions as they seemed to squirm chaotically inside her.

"Kalen, I'd thought of it," she said, standing less than a foot away from him. "I can't say I'm sorry at what's happening on Nar Shaddaa. It may not work in the long run, it probably won't, but if they can help people there now, especially by smashing the old slaver rings..." She bit her lip. "All the same, I don't think the Gems are... were as bad as the Hutts and would have improved things in time... it's just good business after all. There's a lot of others I think that will get hurt from the fall out if... when... the Empire has to crack down to keep their peace. I.. I don't know." She remembered one of her earliest conversations with Kalen at Nar Shaddaa:

They didn't rise to the top of Nar Shaddaa by being nice, I know that. I doubt I'll ever be more than an entertainment asset for them, which is fine by me, but if my star shines brightly enough maybe they'll have to stay in the light more too.

She reflected on that, then looked up at Kalen, her eyes turning a harder blue. "I'm still not giving up on them, and you're not going anywhere, mister," she said, her voice rising. "I'm not letting you take off into the blue Kalen," she insisted, grabbing his wrists. "I need your help. I need..." she hesitated, the last word finally coming out. "I need you. These past few weeks have been hard, but you've been someone I rely on. I don't think I can do this without you." She pressed against him, her head on his chest, hugging him tight as if she needed something solid right now. "The Queen of Air and Hearts needs her Ace of Coins to make this hand work," she said, thinking of the song she'd been working on, realizing she'd just put herself into the Queen's role, the role she'd given to the Ellique in her still unfinished song. That gave her a moment's pause.

Turning away to hide how red her face got, she withdrew the hug, arms across her chest. "So... What's the game plan?" she asked, trying to sound cool and collected. "Are we able to continue touring?"

- Beverly Flanigan.

"You give me too much credit," he said slyly, impulsively wrapping his arms around her in response to her embrace. Kalen didn't miss--nor did he want to assume the cause of--the fluctuations in her mood and countenance, but instead, chose to simply savor the moment... not to mention the fact that he would have a positive report to give his employers on the next point of contact. Pressing his lips once more to her forehead gently, as he had at the Memorial, he tried not to acknowledge the warring concern for Sapphire mingled with the swift disappointment when she too-quickly skirted out of his arms to ask for an update.

"Well, I figure the first challenge will be getting off this kriffing rock," he laughed. "Even if we might have snuck out under the radar before, you've literally just announced to the entire Empire that we're in league with the Pirate Queens of Nar Shaddaa. Whether or not they have their hands in the slaving rings is irrelevant: Imperials are always looking for justification for a new crusade that they don't understand." His voice smacked of bitterness as he turned to pour himself a neat glass of Nubian vine-liquor. Glancing back up to her, he shrugged. "After that, the galaxy's ours. We could limit the tour to the Core Worlds and find ourselves at the Galaxies Opera House in four stops, or we could go farther out to the Outer Rim."

Savoring the burn as the ferment slid down his throat, he smiled up at her, ironically uttering words he wasn't sure he believed. "Wherever you think our presence will do the most good."

With a measuring glance, he added, "Or rather, wherever you feel our presence will do the most good."

In any case, it was obvious that their conversation from before was not entirely resolved.

SSCqLuf.png

Ammi just gives a small half-smile as Kalen downplays his contributions. He'd gotten a talented crew together and helped hold Ammi together through a couple of the most trying experiences she ever had between the Memorial, finding out she was a Force Sensitive, and her rather upsetting return of no information here on Cardia. The kiss surprised her, and yet it was just what she needed, even in spite of her feelings she'd over-declared her affections.

She acknowledged Kalen may have had a, point on getting off Cardia. "You may be right. Still, my associate with them was pretty apparent and I think if we were going to have problems, it'd have been more than Agent Valennia showing up outside my dressing room. Half the Galaxy was watching when I crashed their soiree to perform, so I'm sure that probably tripped at least a dozen flags with 'em when we landed. I think all we can do to 'get off this rock' is ask, nicely. I'm positive we won't have troubles." She still thought in hindsight that being so flagrant about it was something else entirely. She also gave Kalen a curious look, wondering about that bitter note in his voice. She wasn't going to pry, not unless it became an issue.

Behind her, 4L-T0 and B45-50 exchanged glances. 4L-T0 making a rocky "eh" motion with the flat of his hand, B45-50, surprisingly giving Ammi's logic a nod. The two had conversed very quietly on the radio silence piece. B45-50 mentionng the word "Topaz?" once softly in an uncertain voice for 4L-T0's ears alone, to which 4L-T0 shook his head. They didn't trust the director to get any message through that wouldn't be twisted against Kalen or Ammi. Still, if things got desperate enough, it was something to consider.

"So..." she continued thoughtfully. "I think sticking to the Core worlds might not be a bad idea regardless," she continued. "Returning to Nar Shaddaa anytime soon wouldn't be smart. I may have stuck up for the Gems, but I also did kinda publicly cheer on the Empire's efforts to break up the slaving rings there, so that might anger some interests there; though I'll be very disappointed if the Gems are among them," she added, uncertainty in her voice. She didn't want to consider that at all. She also banked her vocal support for the Empire's efforts against the Sith and slavers too might smooth over any other issues getting off world.

"Let's get the equipment back onto the ship, and then figure that out that next stop. Meh, maybe a Jedi world could be fun." she said, then started singing, feeling her mood improve as she started to get the ship prepared for take-off. 4L-T0 moved to the cockpit to request clearance for take-off in an hour from Cardia's space traffic control center, while B45-50 started helping load the drums and other items onto the ship, unceremoniously dragooning M3Z-Z0 and 50P-R4N0 into helping too.

She sang a familiar song while putting her instruments away. It had the same melancholy air as she sang previously to start, but was more energetic, more hopeful. Ammi knew the latter stanzas she wrote talked of the lone wolf finding a she-wolf, starting a pack, and becoming the king of the forest with his family. Despite everything that happened: losing all contact with her employers, angering and embarassing one of the Galactic powers, and hitting a dead end with her search for her family, she felt optimistic. Things were always darkest before dawn, so after all this, things had to improve for them and couldn't get any worse, right? She gave the wolf's head dagger and pendant a soft stroke, hands running over the sparkling blue gems in the memento's eyes.

• Through the forests of twilight.

The lone wolf wanders beneath the eaves.

The sun sinks and sets, down behind the trees.

The lone wolf owns the coming night.

He runs through the forest, scattering the leaves.

He bounds on all fours, his teeth brilliant and white.

His footfalls light, the distance he cleaves.

Wary of his deadly bite, woodland creatures take flight.

By moonlight and starlight, all see his might.

The king of the forest, he rules all he perceives.

Matching moonlight and starlight above, shining on high.

Brilliant below, a beacon far from the sky.

A flame of awe, nature's most amazing of weaves.

Shining below, a majestic sight,

The eyes of the hunter, burning bright.

- Beverly Flanigan.

Adenna smiled. It was sometimes good to have friends who were formerly Sith and knew some interesting things. Or, as it seemed things were headed, a bit more than friends. "By all means, feel free to lead the way. Where do you plan on taking us, and what do you plan to do when we get there? I have no desire to simply run into a massive ambush or an overwhelming enemy force, but if we can scout out something, that would be useful."

Adenna Sig

Send PM's to Travis.

Vos couldn't stop a barking laugh from coming out. He shook his head. "Oh, come now, give me some credit. Of course we're going to scout and scheme." Groaning, he rotated his knees and fell forward onto the bed with just a touch of grace. Rolling over onto his back, he moved his right hand up to scratch Adenna's back. "Trust me, Babe. It's been a long time since I took anyone home with me."

Subtly he felt the deck shift, and knew they had just shot into hyperspace. A few more microjumps and they would secretly arrive over the ice world of Rhen Var.

Ammi's voice had always worked a curious spell on him. The effect was almost always warming, almost hypnotizing, her siren song commanding attention and affection. She was like a warm light, shining into the depths of his soul. All at once, forcing a decision between hiding those dark places he didn't want her to know and revealing everything to be cleansed by the warmth of her song.

This time, it was different.

Chills ran up and down his spine, and something about the simple tune she hummed was haunting. It was as though ice water had been injected into his veins, and he could not even focus on helping Ammi and the droids pack up their relevant gear. Finally he simply stopped to watch her, as though frozen, grounded by the sudden current of electricity running through him.

"What is that?" he finally managed, his tone low and serious. Too late, he thought to change the tone of his voice to appear more nonchalant. Clearing his throat, he tried again. "I haven't heard that one before."

SSCqLuf.png

Ammi broke off in her repeat of the song, catching something off in Kalen's question that she couldn't place. She'd actually cheered herself up singing it, but something in his tone threatened to bring her down again.

"You really are worried," she said, trying to keep up her good cheer. "It's the song I was singing atop the ship after that rather disappointing, if not outright depressing, trip to the archives, though I didn't finish it." She pursed her lips, tapping them. "Mmmmm. Must not have done a good job before if you couldn't remember it." She sighed at that, then shrugged it off. They'd gotten into each other's memories, and then found out about the invasion of Nar Shaddaa, so she could forgive him for forgetting his intrusion on her very private performance of that song... after she teased him about it of course. "I suppose it's not worth bringing up ever again then," she said, trying to hide a smirk before giving in.

"Anyhow," she said, leaning against a wall and facing Kalen directly, "It's a song I learned from Mama. She'd sing it to me when I was down and when I was recovering from my injuries" She held up her pendant, looking at its eyes. "It's... something that always made me think of my parents. When I'd feel down, I'd sing it to myself, adding on new verses, sometimes getting Mama or my sisters to join in singing and even getting Papa to play flute." She gave a wistful smile. "It starts off sad, but the wolf finds a mate, has a family, and they all unite beneath the stars as a close pack. Silly, I know," she says, then gives a distant look, as if remembering something.

"Mama said once she learned of it from a friend of my mother's, my birth mother, so I can't help wonder if my mother sang it to me. It'd... explain a lot... I wonder who that friend was now... not that I can really go back and ask." She shakes her head, turning aside to give a few hand motions to direct M3Z-Z0 on where to put some of the heavier instruments, then walked over to Kalen, right up into his face, hands behind her back as she studied him. "You seemed... shocked at first," she asked, her eyes soft and green with only hints of the blue flecks showing. "Did it strike a chord with you? Kalen, the lone wolf, hunting and gambling?" she pressed, trying to understand what caused it.

- Beverly Flanigan.

Leaning back over the data consoles, Agent Jacobin let out a long breath of a sigh. He forwarded his report and warrant to the Imperial Moff Council and Head of state for final consideration and collected his personal datapad. It was time for a long weekend, he looked at his chronometer and cursed wildly.

He had missed the concert.

Kriff

Imperial officials officially sent an artist's contract to miss Wolfstar. The concert had caused quite a stir in the press and many were praising her bravery for coming forward with her personal beliefs during the concert. No one described it as a PR disaster as many on the homeworld were encouraged to express their opinions on the ongoing war. The incoming holos and transplanted child refugees from Nar Shaddaa spoke very highly of the Remnants victory. And showed the appalling recordings of child slavery, brothels, and the like. Laying in heaping portions the blame of the blight of slavery on pirates, hutts, and slavers. No one cared much for pirates or whoever was sponsoring the tour of Wolfstar except a few diverse politicians who were consistantly anti-war within the planetary government of Carida. Being anti-war was about as in fashion as saying ‘the Sith did nothing wrong’ especially when so much evil was being eradicated on Nar Shaddaa. Slavery would be crushed galaxy wide thanks to the Remnant and the talking heads on the Holos were very eager to describe the complete lack of GA assistance as well as the fact that only a single 16 year old Jedi had been able to make it to the ‘largest battle for freedom since the fall of Palpatine.’

• 2 weeks later...

Another day passed. Another moment carried ever forward, dwindling time into separate packets of fate that pushed onward and onward.

Passion met the bristles of a brush and the wire of his cutters as he sowed clay and plied his brush across a stretched canvas. He tousled his shoulder-length mop of chestnut hair and lifted his right thumb to gauge the distance between a portrait's eye and nose when a thunderous clap roused his artistic focus. Jarred by the noise, Adwin took a moment to realize that it was the basement door.

"Come in?" He said quietly to the room, not wanting to speak too loudly for fear that the person in his piece would hear him.

A few shuffles later, followed by scuffling, and Adwin's father hurried down the stairs.

"Yes, Captain?" Adwin stated, unsure whether this was a professional meeting or simply the attention of a concerned parent.

Captain Aurelius Antares straightened his back and sneered ever so slightly at the use of rank, but released the sneer when he realized he was addressing his son. "Nothing quite so formal, Adwin. Actually... It is, but not really." The Captain stammered slightly - something he never did - and looked a little nervous; anxious notes tickled the edges of his face and drew Adwin's suspicion until Adwin he set aside his craft materials and gave his father his full attention.

"What?"

"Well, m'boy! ... uhh... I signed you up for a charity. It's going to be a combination slave relief and Carida relief fundraiser and your art pieces are going to help with it." Captain Aurelius smiled from ear-to-ear. But Adwin's face was ashen and wide.

"Y-y-y-ou what?" Adwin said, incredulously.

"I signed yo-" Captain Antares began.

"IT WAS A RHETORICAL QUESTION." Adwin snapped back. "Why? Why did you do it?"

The anger in Adwin's voice was hard to place. HIs expression seemed more frustrated than angry. "I did it," Captain Antares started, "to give you an opportunity to help people and get your art out there. You have an amazing gift. You should show it to the galaxy." Reddish tints colored the pallid tones of his son's face at his compliment, and the Captain knew he struck a chord. "You need to realize that like I have."

Captain Antares showed his son the messages and some of the requirements they would need to follow, which seemed to calm some of the fire in his young son's face. But it took an hour or two of back and forth before Adwin swallowed his nerves and did what negotiating he needed to do in order to organize the event.

"Might as well get started. After all, what's the worse that could happen?"

"No, it's not that," he said, unable to shake his wariness, but determined that it should no longer affect the girl. "It's... I know that song. Somehow. I don't recall ever hearing it. More like I've always known it."

The queasiness in his gut didn't subside, and he found himself going in circles around his own mind, trying to determine when he might have heard a song that Ammi coined from a family tradition. Something about it was important, and there was some link to her past that was yet to be explored. But if he gave any indication of how unsettled he was by his prescience of the haunting melody, there would undoubtedly be an endless barrage of questions he had no desire to answer.

"It was pretty. Forget I said anything," he added nonchalantly.

Between his confused and conflicted feelings about what they ought to do in the wake of the Imperial takeover of Nar Shaddaa, the insinuations Ammi had been steadily making about his abilities, and his irritation with being surrounded by a bunch of goody-two-shoes droids and a teen with a penchant for mischief, Kalen was not looking forward to determining their next destination. A vacation spot, where there were credits, and some measure of quiet where Ammi wouldn't get herself into too much trouble...

"Ammi," he said quietly, "we can easily book something on Chandrila or Corellia, find a place to lay low for a little while, find where the Gems ended up. But if what you need is to find your parents, and you need help to do that, maybe there isn't a better time. Credits are no obstacle, and no one is telling us what to do."

The melody weaved through his thoughts, and Kalen couldn't help but wonder how deep this particular jakrab hole went--and to what degree he would regret such an offer of assistance.

SSCqLuf.png