Ylesia

JediRP Staff

Six hours of work after blasting their way through a blackaide, and six dozen patients. Likely a hundred more to go. A nagging part of her brain screamed that she should just lay down and sleep, but this was not the time. She had received medical training as part of her life in the naboo palace, and she would be damned if she didn’t put that to use. She ran a bloody hand across her brow to wipe some sweat from her eyes, then looked at the next patient on the triage list. 

Aidan Darkfire | IK-001366

She looked at the small datapad that was strapped to her arm and frowned. An Imperial Knight. She looked up again and her gray blue eyes focused on a man in white, blood stained armour sitting a few seats down on one of the jumpboard seats. She picked up her kit and walked over to him where she knelt and gestured to the armour on his side. 

“Knight Darkfire, is it all right if I take a look at that wound? Stablizing care only until we get planetside.” 

The red cross patch that was sown below the symbol of the royal house of nabboo she wore on her brown fatigues showed that she was at least medically trained, and qualified to assist him. Even if she did look every bit as young as her sixteen years portrayed. She held up a hypospray from her kit and grinned. 

”Or if you want I can give you the equipment to address it yourself. I know you have the force to help you out.” A dumb attempt at humour. But she did not have the energy left to try anything clever, and there were at least a dozen more patients on this level of the medical transport alone.

namari.png.2510408bc48b537b03c729725bc5aa69.png

Queen Namari of the Naboo

“Well commander Darkfire, I will do my best.” She mocked a salute, then knelt down in front of him. She raised her eyebrows a bit and she indicated towards his side. “Raise your arm a bit if you can.” 

Her hand touched the burned and bubbled armour around the wound and she pulled the strapping aside to release the section, revealing the underweave that was equally damaged and blood covered. She pulled a set of shears from her kit and with deft  fingers, cut the underweave away from the burned and blackened skin. Next came a hypospray of disinfectant, which she discharged into the wound and around it. Then she pat dried the blackened flesh, before adding a fingerfull of bactane which she gently rubbed into the long furrow of flesh. 

Then she placed the gauze against the wound and wrapped it in place. 

She sat back on her haunches and looked up at the older man. Wiping her brow again, her fingers touching the bloodstained circlet of gold that stretched across the top of her forehead to disappear into the hair above her ears. The only mark of her now destroyed kingdom that she wore besides the flight insignia on her fatigues. 

“So you took a lightsaber wound. I hope you gave back more than you got?”

She shrugged her shoulders, rocking back on her heels and forcing her overly tired legs to stand herself up. She kicked the heel of her boot against the decking, to get some more life into her right foot, then she looked back at the Imperial Knight. 

“I’ve seen what they do to innocent people mainly.” She gestured to her brown fatigues, the same ones the Royal Naboo starfighter wing wore. “Sith lightsabers made a quick killing of my people. That is when they weren’t obliterating all that I loved from orbit.” 

The young queen would sup from the cup of revenge in time, and there was a flash of anger in her eye, before she blinked it away with a smile as equally fake as his. 

“Knight Darkfire, I am Queen Namari of the Naboo. It is a pleasure to meet you, despite the circumstances.” wiped a bloody hand on her pants before extending her hand in the normal political greeting of the galaxy. 

“I am nearly a queen in title only, and until we free my people, they will continue to suffer and die under the hands of the Sith.” Her gray blue eyes looked deep into his as she stood up and placed her hyposyring back into its refill case. “When that day comes, I will make sure we are never so vulnerable again. Whatever it takes, I will do.” There was a dangerous air to her words, something that spoke deeply of vengeance and destruction. But she wiped that away with a friendly grin. 

Your family reputation precedes you Knight Darkfire. Maybe in the future I might ask you to help train my army.” She smiled and with her smile came the gentle suggestion in his mind that such a thing would be a really good idea. An amature mind trick, and one he would easily detect even as she did it unconsciously. A trick of a force sensitive young politician.  

A bit of the dried blood at the corner of her eye flaked away when she smiled. It was a frustrated smile, but not a mean one. She had heard a lot in her few years as the Queen of Naboo, but she had never even thought of training for the position of an Imperial Knight. She was no warrior, but yet that lingering feeling in the pit of her stomach told her that she could be. And what would be better for Naboo than a queen with the ability to defend her planet? She could feel the frustration begin to melt away into a vague hope that she had not felt since she had seen the black shapes of Sith Star Destroyers drop into orbit in the peaceful blue skies of Theed. 

She shouldered her bag of equipment and took two steps to the next patient, a twi’lek who had taken shrapnel to one of their lekku. A bacta bandage for now, then full submersion and surgery when they got planetside. She unwrapped a roll of sterile gauze before she looked back to the Wounded Imperial Knight.

“I have not been tested, but if you have one of those tests lying around you can give me while I work I wouldn’t be opposed. So test away Knight Darkfire.” 

She gave him a bright smile, and went to work. Her mind full of the possibilities that such training could bring. 

Anne let her gaze linger, tracing the outline of the imperial crest on his armour, then back up to the Imperial Knight as she finished wrapping the damaged and twitching lekku. She lay her hand on the young woman’s face, whispering a prayer for healing before letting her eyes catch Darkfire’s. 

“You mean you can’t just look into my mind and find out?” 

It was weird to think that something that was portrayed as inherently spiritual in the holofilms could be reduced to a blood count. It took the mystery away from it and left a bitter taste in her mouth. The holofilms and docs she had seen in her childhood had portrayed the jedi as something like monks, spending hours in silent meditation. WHile the modern holos portrayed the IK as some kind of military organization. Relying on blade and word to carve their ways through the Sith. But still, it was an opportunity she would not want to miss. 

“Well count me in, but I can’t afford to leave everything behind to go meditate in a temple somewhere. I have a people to save.”

She looked down and rolled up the sleeve on her fatigues with a blood stained hand. 

“I will not put restrictions on the force and where it might guide me in the future. But I will not forget the duty the force has put upon me to protect and foster the people of Naboo. They will always come first. For as long as I live.”

She took the syringe from the Imperial Knight and looked him again in the eyes as she pressed the needle into her arm. 

“I will swear whatever oath I need to. To Empress or Jedi council, to you or yours.” 

She withdrew the syringe and flicked the filled vial before handing it back. 

“So when do I start?” 

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed that even the force bowed to the will of the government bureaucracy. Something that prickled a slight irritation at the black haired imperial knight in the back of her head. But she was tired, and pretty much everything irritated her. And as the evacuation shuttle touched down, she gave him a nod of approval. 

“Well I will be here in and around the medical zone until the provisional government gets put back together. So look me up if you have the time, or if you want to talk about life or something over an MRE.” 

She leant over the next patient and began her assessment.

Anne glanced up from her patient and gave the Imperial Knight a weary smile. It was not an ungrateful smile, just the smile of someone who was glad but also realizing that a long day was now going to become a hell of a lot longer. She tied off the bandage then gave him a crisp military salute. He was, after all, her superior in the armed forces of the Rebel Alliance and with the massive casualties in the command chain, he could be considered the highest level officer in the medical zone. 

“Well, Corporal Namari of the Naboo Defense Forces reporting for duty Commander Darkfire.” 

She shrugged at him after lowering the salute. 

“I was under general orders of the ground defense forces as a Medical Corporal in echo sector, so the commander would have been Blythe sir.” But Blythe had been shot through the head not five steps from her when the Sith Marines had landed at the Red and Black. So there was really no one to ask. 

She glanced again at his wounds and frowned. 

“We might want to get someone other than myself to look at that, I hear there is a renowned healer in that zone sir.” She gestured several hundred meters away towards where a group of refugees were clustered around a sandy haired Jedi in a tattered green tunic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anne took an involuntary step back when the Jedi master turned the hug into a quick kiss. It was something so incredibly intimate that she felt out of place to be standing so close to the two almost legendary figures. She knew the woman by reputation more than name, her pretty blonde face had been all over the imperial war holos in the early stages of the war. Having been one of the few jedi to actually fight the Sith menace in the outer rim. And Aidan she had a deep respect for, he had come from a long family tradition of warfare, and he carried the familial scars of such an ancestry close to his skin. 

So the queen of Naboo looked politely away from the two warriors in their embrace. Wishing instead that she was with the two of them with lightsabers blazing, cutting the hearts out of the Sith Lords who had desecrated her planet. In good time perhaps. In good time. 

She looked up to the two of them as they walked towards the Barracks.

“I look forward to it, Master.” 

She stopped infront of one of the very empty refresher units and looked back to the two of them. 

“See you soon.”

• 3 weeks later...

Well the robes were definitely ruined. She shuffled through her duffel sack to find another outfit and saw another bloodstained set of light linen. The same she had been wearing when she had met the Mandalore. The memory causes a shiver to run up her spine. But regrettably the gown was ruined, and she tossed the bundle into the trash receptacle. She did not throw away the dark brown fatigues of the Naboo Royal Starfighters however, and packed them with care into where the collection of dresses once had been in the duffle bag, before donning the light grey tunic that she had been provisioned. 

She pulled her soft leather boots on, wrapped her torso with the flightbelt she had been wearing for the last week and a half, and placed the gold circlet on her brow. Within a few minutes she was in the designated place her new master had required her to be. She took a seat on the bench and waited.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Naboo’s young queen gave a quick curtsy in response to the Barabel’s mentioning of her. She had redressed into the dark brown form fitting fatigues of the Naboo royal starfighter corps, the only thing distinguishing her from the few officers around her was the thin crown of gold that sat lightly upon her head. When it was her turn to speak she took it, standing as tall as she could among the much older crowd of military officers. It was time to use the skills she had honed during her training to become the symbolic queen of the Naboo. 

‘Sir Longfang, honorable members of the Alliance, the horrors that the innocents of my planet endured at the hands of the Sith was only an echo of what a hundred planets before us experienced. Even Onderon, which was their beachhead into the core worlds experienced civilizational disaster. Its meager government and monarchy overthrown and murdered. Then too Carida, Kashyyyk, Chandrillia, Coruscant itself, and now Nar Shaddaa. All have faced the utter destruction of the Sith. All have suffered from the utter weakness of the Galactic Alliance and its failure to protect its citizen worlds.” 

Her gray eyes scanned the many officers from both the Imperial Remnant and the GA that stared back at her. There would be time to harang the demons of democracy in the future. But it was not yet the time. 

“We cannot afford to be so weak again. For the Sith have not gone for good.” 

She was speaking mainly from feeling, and there was a part of her that they had not seen the last of the Dark Side. There was no time to rejoice. For the next war would be around the corner.

“They drove the knife into our Rebellion, yet they did not spend their utter reserves of strength. Where was their Dark Lord? Was he not a king of shadow and deceit? We must act on the assumption that they will return, and stronger than before. Like a cancer that has not been fully cut out, it will spread and grow again, until it returns from its shadow, unlooked for and stronger than before. Naboo will never again be so weak as we once were. We will be the bulwark of the Galactic South and root out the darkside from our lands. Root and stem.”

Gone was the peaceful democratic monarchy of Naboo. Warlord, and absolute tsarist autocracy would replace it. Strength instead of weakness. A lesson learned in the fires of the Sith. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The practice saber cut a long furrow through the wooden target. The white training saber burning and singing the carved edges of the target, enough heat to char, but not ignite. Though she did not doubt the ability of such a saber, labeled training as it was, to cause enough damage to harm or even kill someone if applied to, say, an eyesocket. She finished the long cut exercise and deactivated the saber, clicking it back into place on her belt before she left the training arena. A quick sanisteam, and she selected a deep purple Jumpsuit to replace her white training tunic. She made sure the insignia of the royal house of Naboo was visible on the epaulets, then she placed the thin crown back upon her head. It was not the royal crown itself, that had been long lost alongside the royal palace, but it was enough to denote her importance and rank should someone need her. 

No one usually did. Naboo was a dead planet as far as many were concerned. And though it was a beautiful one, expending resources to retake a vacation world was not the top priority of the new Galactic Government. So she continued to wander through the camp.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There was something inherently off putting about the Miraluka. It was not some irritation or disgust, but the certain reality of not being able to see where their gaze landed, which gave them that special air of superiority that their kind were well known for. Most had been enticed into the arms of the Jedi order, their number remaining very small and their enclaves shrinking all the more as time finished the job the Sith had tried to accomplish four thousand years before. The rigours and expense of jedi life draining away potential that could have been used to save a species all the more in need of refreshment. How one had been enticed into the arms of the Imperial Remnant, Namari would never know. Perhaps it was a sign of that great schism that had taken place at the resurgence of the Sith on the outer rim, where many Jedi had left the order to follow Raven Zinthos in her personal crusade. 

The age was right, maybe she had been an apprentice at the time? Namari could not tell, but she could feel a gladness in her own heart at the sign of one of the great Jedi aligned species of the galaxy wearing the colours of the Remnant. It spoke both to the vitality of the new Knightly order, and the bitter stagnation of the old. High towers of ivory had tumbled and fallen, both on Naboo and in the Jedi Enclaves. Where now were the heroes of peace? Her heart yearned for the long series of holoshorts she had consumed in her young childhood. Names she had memorized in the diplomatic training. 

Where now lay the grave of Trevelian? Of Starlisk and Raikanda? Buried in the ruins of their fallen temple. Their ashes joining those countless trillions as Hesperidium fell. Where now the great ladies of the Jedi? Xae-Lin, Jaina Jade, and Skye? Lost in the storms of Onderon as the hopes of the Galactic Alliance fell around them. Other names also came over her as her memories filtered through long forgotten memories-

The Queen blinked as the Miraluka spoke to her. She could feel a blush rise quickly to her pale cheeks and she grinned shyly. There was nothing to be lost in speaking openly. 

“I am afraid there will be a lot of work ahead of us all before my people can consider themselves free. Many lessons to be learned, and a strong hand to guide them. I fear I might not have such a will to see it through.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It would be rude and undiplomatic for Anne to answer the Imperial Knight with what she really felt, but it would no doubt be boiling off of her like the steam from one of the many water purification plants that had been set up in the camp. Something she knew well? A genocide almost five kriffing thousand years ago? A mass murder by a force user against active combatants which had rallied to fight him. How could this woman walk beside her and claim any relevance or knowledge of what it felt like to have everything ripped away from you. A deep knowledge that she herself had been placed in charge of millions, and had let them down? A nation was destroyed, a people scattered to the winds and enslaved. 

And what hope was there in the Miralukan story? That maybe five thousand years later her people could be eeking out their miserable refugee lives? Claiming that the only reason they had not repopulated their world yet was because of some big meany sith lord? Letting the course of the galaxy steer their direction as the eons ticked down into oblivion. What an absolutely horrid and hopeless outlook for the naboo people. At least bring up something recent like Alderaan, whose people had actually gone on to do something with their lives. 

No, there was no inspiration to be found in Pandora’s words. So Anne gave her the only response she could muster. A half turned scowl that made her pale and youthful face flush with a mix of anger and resentment. She took a breath and muttered a thank you that was very far from heartfelt. 

• 2 weeks later...

It felt like her heart would burst with the swarm of emotions that bubbled and struck against her in that moment. Anger was foremost though fading fast, shame at how she had acted, and remorse besides. There was little to be said about her regret other than an apology, which the Miraluka deserved. Though perhaps her words had been careless, they had not meant to hurt, and the queen felt the color of shame flush onto her face and she lowered her head. 

“I would be grateful for your help Knight. There is much to do and it was foolish of me to spit in your face with such spite.” Here she lowered her head even more. “Please forgive me for such foolishness.” 

There was a ship waiting them that would take the scattered remnants of the Naboo royal household and the starfighter corps back to their home world. It was nearly time to go, and the queen was grateful to have the Knight alongside her. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Ohma-Rune, a heavily modified old model Mon Cal Cruiser sat on its support dock, its several hundred meter long hull bristling with oddly fitted cargo containers, looking like a white painted mountain covered with hover speeders and men loading cargo. The large red coloured cross that covered the majority of the empty hull space indicated that the ship was not in any way a combat vessel, though three of Naboo royal starfighter squadrons would be flying cover for the mission. As the Queen and the Knight walked towards the loading platform which was already crowded with refugees, she heard a familiar voice cry out from behind her. 

She turned about and saw the face of the dashing Imperial Knight she had accompanied to Ylesia not a few weeks before. She felt a wide smile cross her face as she waved to him and gestured with a hand for him to join the two of them. She resisted the desire to give him a hug and simply gave him a grin of welcome which was decidedly more Queenlike. Even if it did expose her relative lack of years. 

“We are heading back to Naboo, I am fine, miss Maximus has taken care of me.” She laughed at the thought of it, then pointed to the ramp that stretched into the behemoth of a ship. “I am hoping we can make ample progress in rebuilding our world, if you would like to join me.” She smiled again, feeling a bit of hope start to creep into her voice. “I know it wont be the most interesting mission a Jedi Knight has ever been on, but who knows, the Sith could be lurking in the ruins of my peoples homes.” 

((Lets head to Naboo))

• Like 1