Glasignis

JediRP Staff

On 11/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, Wyvernfall said:

The entire night sky erupted in shocking blue light against the purple starlit sky, a ball of expanding blue lightning filled energy crackled as the missile detonated in an ever-growing expanse of destructive ionic energy. An ion torpedo, mind you, Rru had no idea what it was; but it sure looked dangerous, in a beautiful flay your flesh from your bones sort of way. Had he not know the thing came from the launcher in his hands, the Tusken would have been quick to attribute it to the supernatural. Leaping back to his feet, Rru squinted at the bright crackling explosion. Hoisting the now-unknown empty weapon above his head he let loose a joyous war cry, challenging any who might dare try and take them on! They were not dead yet, not by a long shot. The Tusken had wanted and the spirits had spoken, in electrified beautiful and deadly judgment. Boy had they spoken!

I smiled as I heard the tusken roar, an echo of the roar of the explosion he'd just created.

Someone was having a good time.

I had to wonder if he knew he'd just launched an ion torpedo, something designed to disable, not destroy. Of course, that was for starships. As I stared at the crackling light where the brute had been standing a moment ago, I supposed that to flesh and blood the distinction didn't matter.

Then I saw the brute lumber out of the smoke and dust. Its skin was blackened ash, its limbs curled and locked in place like an arthritic old man, and its face was twisted into a permanent rictus scream. A wheezing sound that might have been cries of pain or laughter rasped out of its throat, and the sizzling of fat could be faintly heard. Where its eyes had been, traces of blue lightning played across congealing, sizzling jelly.

It should have been dead.

I hate this place.

I sprinted forward. Somehow, the thing could tell I was coming, even though its face looked like some narcotic-saturated art student's postmodern thesis. It twisted towards me, its warped body moving slower than before, skin flaking away like a morbid snowfall with each movement. The thing was dying, it was just being stubborn about admitting it. Give it a minute or two, and this monster would fall to pieces. Problem was that it would reach the building before that, and there was no sense making the tusken waste another round...assuming there was another round to waste.

I didn't waste words on the creature. I'm honestly not sure if it could hear anyway. But it definitely knew where I was, as it lumbered towards me with its shoulder lowered in a parody of a tackle. My guess was its arms didn't exactly work anymore after having every nerve fried and the muscles tightened to the tensile consistency of steel cords. I dropped to the ground and rolled to the side, letting the massive thing run past. It turned on its heel more nimbly than should have been physically possible, and brought its foot down towards my back. Only my enhancements saved me, as caught the descending foot with my hands and feet, bracing my body against the ground. Grunting as my ribcage felt like it was flattening out, I shifted the monster's kick to the side, where it cratered into the ground. I brought my arm up, and drove my clenched fist into his knee. With a sickening crunch, the warped, thickened bone shattered.

The next few moments couldn't be called a fight. I took the thing apart, bit by bit, blow by blow, until the crumpled and broken body was twitching on the ground, somehow still alive.

"Alright...one down." Maybe this hadn't been the best idea.

• Like 1

Even as the brute was torn apart, it struggled to fight back. Even as it crumpled underneath its own weight, no longer supported by sturdy bones and muscle, it crawled and moaned in an attempt to kill its attacker. Only when Zeris finally let up did it finally give in to the coldness of death. 

The Zabrack who was limping forward through the trail that the brute blazed stopped. Her face twisted slightly into a smile. Taking some form of perverse delight in the brute’s death, she couldn’t help but find some pleasure in the brutes agony before its doom. It had attempted its best. Now it was time for the horde. 

The Zabrack turned to the small horde behind her. Of all the hordes on the planet, this one was pretty small in comparison.  54 souls of dock workers, pilots, mechanics, and other beings captured with infection. The infection drove them, as it drove her. They were little more than melted skin and charred bones, but the infection drove them. And the infection would grow, even with each death. 

Fire wrapped upwards from her hands around her arms and over her body as she shrieked. Her horned crown glowed with red embers as the heat intensified. The horde grew agitated and restless with the heat that the Zabrack, her ladyship, generated.  A fireball erupted from her body, spreading outwards consuming the others. Like the brute, the horde enjoyed the pain of the flame. Wild instincts kicked in, and they charged forward past their leader, through the flames, towards where the brute had fallen. 

Kiv scrambled to find that piece of metal he had kicked earlier. He cursed himself for not recognizing what it was before. Then again, why would he stop to think that he had found ammunition for some kind of modified launcher? Kiv however squealed with glee when he found the ammo. 

“Oooh, you a good jawa kiv old boy” Kiv told himself as he scrambled back up the steps. “No one says that enough do they, but you a good jawa, yes sir…”

Bursting back onto the roof area, Kiv stopped. 

“What the burning sands big cousin, that thing was loaded? Eyes, was that thing loaded?”

>Affirmative sir. One ion torpedo has been launched.<

Kiv nearly dropped the ammo in shock. “Ion!?! You crazy big cousi er, lone raider?!?  That be the bad of bad things you could use!”

Kiv raced over and started smacking the Tusken’s side with his free hand while holding the ammo under his arm. “That stuff make things like Eyes dead! And our pilot’s arms useless! She already carrying me, you want to carry her with me on her?” 

>Sir, we got more incoming< Eyes noted. In the distance the glow of moving, flaming bodies could be seen. Without the debris blocking their path, they were moving much faster than the group originally had. 

“Eeek! This bad idea, I don’t like this…” Kiv held up he ammo to the Tusken to take. “Eyes, you find escape route, yes? We need to find escape route before too late…”

>Affirmative< Eyes took off straight upwards, and began to scan the environment around him. The landscape, was mostly rubble, but between the ruins Eyes began to see patterns.

>hmmm…< Eyes stopped in thought. >sir, i believe that map we found may correspond with our current location. Plotting out possible routes. standby< 

“Hurry up you flying bolt ball!” Kiv turned and cupped his hands towards Zeris. "Lady, I plotting escape route. You carry me again when plotted, yes? No die now please, you got strong legs" 

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.d53492beab516d9a1b229282717105a7.jpeg

Rru turned from the approaching horde as the Jawa nearly crashed into him. Hastily the shorter being tried to shove the projectile into his arms. Tusken culture was many things, most known among them was a revision of technology, living in the ways of their ancestors. What should have been obvious, but was often overlooked, was the Tusken affinity for weapons, even firearms. So even if Rru was not entirely sure what he had just shot. The Jawa babbled franticly about it messing up the mechanical abominations his companions came to depend on. He raised an eyebrow inquisitively behind his shroud. Maybe this was not the time for such a thing.

The hulking abomination slammed into the ground with a thunderous crash that Rru felt the tremors of beneath his feet. He shoved the torpedo away, back into Kiv’s arms. The Tusken was surprised Zeris had handled the thing alone. So much for his theory of betreyal. He felt ashamed that he had thought such a thing. It burned his cheeks with embarrassment. He should have known better, even if she had give  herself over to the shackles of technology she still was redeemable. As the horde alighted, literally and figuratively beyond her, Rru shook his head.

The problem with slug throwers, even more so than blasters, was ammunition. It was limited. It was heavy. A quick recap indicated limited supplies of both the incendiary rounds from Kiv as well as his standard Tusken-honed sniper rounds. Not near enough to handle the advancing tribe of . . . things. Besides, they were already on fire. They seemed to like it. What a strange world.

As Eyes shot upward, the Jawa did what he seemed second best at. After scrounging and stealing, this particular specimen seemed keen on squealing like a rat in a trap. Rru took the launcher and forcefully shoved it alongside the torpedo into Kiv’s arms. Before Kiv could

protest too much Rru grabbed the Jawa by the waist and hefted him up to eye level. “Make yourself useful, cousin,” he snarled; after all didn’t Kiv keep calling Rru his big cousin? Now mind you, useful to a Jawa and useful to a Tusken might be two different extremes. This was no better conceptualizer then when Rru heartily hefted the Jawa, launcher and torpedo over the edge of the rooftop towards the closing horde. Useful, in this context, was pretty obvious, fighting, or at the least cannon fodder to buy time for the blasted boloball of a droid to find an escape.

Rru did not wait to see how the Jawa landed. Shrugging his rifle across his shoulder and chest with his bandolier , he launched himself forward. The ancestral voices of generations of Tusken warriors urged him forward. Their eyes saw what his did not, their disembodied spirits hastened his movements and carried him on a nonexistent gale. Somersaulting  forward like a bullet from a gun, Rru landed in a puff of sand and dust, well beyond the Jawa, between his teo companions, glinting beskar gaderffi held loosely in his hands glinting against the moonlight. It would have been a sight to see, had he remained there; but the Tusken was already on the move. With a snarling war whoop to draw the attention of the inferno’d horde, Rru charged. The force, his ancestors, surged around him, empowering the desert warrior with superhuman reactions, speed, and perceptions.

A trail of dust plumed into the air behind the Tusken as he closed with the horde. The first zombie he met, he drove the pointed end of his gaderffi into the beast’s gut. In a single fluid motion, he brought thr flanged clubbed head of the weapon up and around to slam it into the abomination’s face. Meanwhile, the pointed end tore a furrow through the flesh of the zombie, ripping a massive gash in it’s gut as it exited and the club end slammed into the zombie’s head with a sickening and solid crunch as blood spurted everywhere. Rru did not stop, however; his momentum carrying him forward. Launching into a carwheel over top of the zombie, the club freed itself with a sickening sucking sound. Rru brought the bent end of his traditional weapon down atop the head of the next zombie, collapsing the skull and compressing the spine unnaturally beneath the weight and momentum of the beskar as he landed on his knees. The zombie toppled to the side as Rru’s weapon swung out at ground level carching the ankles of several closing flaming monsters and pulling their feet from under them.

As the zombies fell to the ground, Rru leapt up, his rough sand-filled robes swirling about him in a plume of dust and dirt. He lunged forward and with the skill of a butcher let out a gutteral cry as he drove the speared end into the downed monsters time and time again, each time eliciting a gout of blood and sucking wounds that clawed in vain at the metal rod of destruction. And still they came.

Rru looked  up as even more zombie’s advanced. He could feel the heat that came from their sizzling bodies. The flames licked the night and flickered in ghostly off of the Tusken’s goggled and weapons. Clothed in black, he was a specter of destruction and the voices of his ancestors not only carried him, but whispered in the ears of his foes telling of their coming doom.

As the zombies charged, Rru spun, seeing Zeris entering the fray, her mechanized limbs a dervish of destruction all their own. Driving forward, Rru stabbed his gaffi stick forward. It smashed in the front and out the back of the beast’s skull and still Rru drove forward, his weapon sliding through the skull as he held the crooked end by the flange. He drove the spear into a second zombie’s flaming head and then a third, stopping only as he ran out of spit upon which to skewer his attackers.

Then he ripped the gaderffi out, filling the air with aerosolized blood, bits of brain matter, and bone. Rru roared defiantly, more of a beast than man as he spun, his gaderffi caving in the cranium of the attacker to his right. Meanwhile, he grabbed the rifle slung over his shoulder and slammed the butt of it into neck the attacker on his left, dropping to his knees as he felt for the trigger. And as the ancients whispered, Rru pulled the trigger. An incendiary round fired from the weapon back behind Rru, towards a column of zombies that had given chase to the Jawa. Rru did not even have to look as the round found it’s mark in the chest of another zombie and erupted in a thermal explosion of destruction that turned flesh to ash and blackened and cracked the bones that remained.

Spinning around, Rru snarled ready for whoever came next.

• Like 1

I had the biggest, dumbest, craziest grin plastered over my face.

Not because of the fight. No, fighting things like this that didn't know when to die was always somewhere between the experience of spending hours scouring particulate buildup with an old rag and the experience of carrying around a thermal detonator with a faulty trigger. You never knew for sure when one of these monsters was down for good, and you never knew just when one was going to lurch your way for one last surprise. Not knowing if you killed the thing you just turned your back to was stressful as heck. The fire probably wasn't helping either. And while I hadn't spotted Oka Geb among them, that didn't necessarily mean he wasn't here, given how warped they all were.

No, I was smiling because of the tusken.

The tusken...Rru...was special.

I didn't know what it was in particular. Maybe he was a prodigy. Maybe he wasn't your typical humanoid-adjacent species under those robes. Maybe he was enhanced. Heck, maybe he was one of those Force users! But watching him fight, it was clear there was something more than mortal about him. Call it speed, precision, grace, whatever. So many beings out there had the spirit to fight, but couldn't wield their clumsy bodies to match. This, however...this was that savage instinct fully realized. Body and spirit in sync.

It was like watching a sunrise through a stained glass window, and I enjoyed every second of it.

Then I was among the monsters, and my attention shifted to my own work. This was work, for me at least. I didn't fight with ferocity. I didn't fight with passion. My strength was in skill, in the literal millions of drills I'd performed over my life. It was in an understanding of combat so meticulous that I'd have rivaled any scientist on knowing the minutia of my chosen subject. I'd fought so many, and so many of those fights hadn't even begun to tap into the true potential I'd worked and sacrificed so much to achieve. 

And these creatures...they weren't worthy of me either.

They were dangerous, but not in the way I craved. They were a screaming mob, an unnatural disaster given legs and hands to tear you apart. Killing them was a job of endurance and keeping a calm head for me.

But Rru...now that would be a fight.

My grin almost split my face as my fists did their jobs. Like jackhammers, they drove into body after body, shattering spines, splattering heads, and pulverizing joints. Each blow was a statement as unyielding as the rotation of the planet.

Alright, bad example.

Then I saw her. The Zabrak, the one hanging back. She was something special too. Even monsters had queens.

"Tusken!" I called, pointing to the Zabrak. "The woman is the leader!"

• Like 1

“Utini!!” Kiv shrieked as he flew over the building's ledge onto the ground below. "You crazy Krayt lover! You trying to..." 

A growl interrupted Kiv's cursing. Turning, Kiv barely ducked underneath the animalistic swipe of one of the monsters. Being the Jawa he was, he took off for the doorway back inside the building, only to be greeted with the fact that the building had been automatically locked from the inside for protection against monsters.

"No no no no!" Kiv shrieked as he banged on the door frantically having neither the time nor patience to utilize his jawa skills at bypassing the security system. Kiv glanced behind him as three zombie like things, fire licking exposed bones on their arms, shambled forward, hoping to tear the rodent apart. 

"Eeek! Stay back!" Kiv shouted as he pulled his ion pistol and fired it. its energy harmlessly fizzled against the flesh of the monsters as they continued forward. "Stay back! Me no like this!"

The leading zombie lunged forward. Kiv fell to his knees and scrambled forward, tripping the zombie face-first into the metal door. 

The other two reached for the Jawa, grabbing at cloth and robes. Had he been wearing anything else, the infection would've claimed the Jawa right then and there. But with the bulky coverings, Kiv found himself momentarily safe enough to pull his knife and stab one of the monsters in the Achille's tendon, tripping into the other. The two fell over each other like clowns at the space fair as Kiv picked himself up and ran for where the weapon layed on the ground.  

As the horde fought the three beings, their clumsy, animalistic swiping and bitings no matched for the two skilled warriors and the fortunate of the rodent, their lady watched, her melted lips twisting into a sadistic smile. Such prizes would be great for the infection. Such beings would feed the infection, and spread it to new prizes. A horde lost was nothing, for all death fed the infection.  

She took several steps forward, her gracefulness only betrayed by the slight limp in her left side. The two were taking out much in the horde, and more might be necessary soon. 

"Tusken! The woman is the leader!" the female warrior called out. 

Her Ladyship tilted her head slightly to the companion, the warrior with the stick. Some pale semblance of sentience recognized the calling out, and reacted instinctively against such strategy. Raising a black, burnt finger, a stream of fire spewed from her arms towards the direction of Tusken. But instead of striking the warrior, the flames hit a corpse that the warrior had already struck down. 

The steam of fire, hitting their target, consumed the body and without warning, burst with the fury of a firestorm. Flames and body parts exploded in all directions as the superheated body sublimated entirely with the sound of a boom.

“Utinni!" Kiv shouted again over the explosion as he quickly tried to load the weapon. It was large, much to large to use normally, but at this range, it would be hard to miss.

Oooh, you in trouble now you stinky…” Kiv commented as he aimed the weapon. He half-wondered if firing this close would harm the others, but if it killed the enemy, then he could escape…

>Sir, aim the weapon 38 degrees…< Eyes beeped as he flew directly in the way, startling Kiv greatly into nearly dropping the equipment.

“Gah! Shut it Eyes, you find exit yet?” Kiv fumbled with the weapon, trying to bat the small droid away. 

>Affirmative. There is a wall that, if you aim that weapon properly, will provide a means of escape<

“Really?”

>Affirmative. The wall is blocking an entrance to what appears to be an old water canal. From there, according to the map we found, we have a roadway we can utilize.<

Kiv looked at the Zabrack, who was approaching the corpse of the Brute. It was a hard but quick debate between whether following his droid’s instinct, or his own. The droid had come up with a possible escape route. But striking the Zabrack at this distance would theoretically kill it. But given the distance between her and Kiv’s companions, the explosion could harm them as well, not to mention his own fuzzy hide. 

“You better be good Eyes, or I melt you down and make new eyes!” Kiv commented as he aimed the weapon in the direction Eyes dictated. Once aimed, Kiv pulled the trigger and sent the explosive ammo flying across the vast distance towards its unseen target. 

The shot sent the Jawa flying onto his rear. Kiv moaned at the pain that struck his rear after he landed as well as the pain in his chest from the weapon's backfire. However, now was not the time for complaining. He dropped the weapon and took off in the direction his ammo was shot. It was a short open area, littered with pieces of scrap and dead grass and patches of dirt. 

“Hey! We go now! Kiv know way!” Even as Kiv shouted, two of the three zombies gave pursuit, not willing to let their prey get away, 

Her Ladyship ignored the Jawa who scrambled away from her eyesight. She was nearing the Brute now. Raising a finger, she was producing a steady stream of fire at the bloodied corpse. Its fat and muscles would burn long and bright before it exploded. And the smoke would be immense for all to see.  The infection would have these beings, one way or another. 

Edited by Klu Kiv

The next approaching zombie had it’s head entirely removed from what had been it’s neck in a bloody spray of flaming goo and superheated blood. It would have been a clean cut, had it been made with a lightsaber. As it had been done with a beskar forged gaderffi however, it was efficient, albeit gruesome. Rru did not stop to consider this; however, as he spun about again to take on another surging trio of attackers. A spear to a knee, twisted to blow the joint entirely while sweeping the zombie’s other leg, fluidly carried into a reverse thrust of the flanged club end of the weapon into his companion’s chest. The sickening sound of crushed bones into rotted flesh was only accentuated by the sucking sound the wound made as Rru rripped the weapon clean, dropping low and spinning the barrel of his cycler outwards tripping the third before leaping forward like a predatory beast. Letting the rifle hang off his shoulder and with gsffi in one hand, Rru quickly drew his stone blade and gouged the third zombie’s eyes from it’s head before looking up at the shout from their pilot. He really needed to learn her name. She had done wonders in a fight so far. Maybe it was part of her curse, just like those amalgamated limbs. He did not have time to think on that; however, not in the midst of battle. He was content to have her on his side. When she pointed, his eyes followed. No language was needed for that sort of communication. Leaders always seemed to distinguish themselves, especially those who were too cowardly to join the fight, sending their underlings in their place.

With a war whoop, Rru leapt forward intent on fulfilling another old Tusken tradition. Find the biggest and baddest thing on the field of play and take it out. Apparently the ancestors had not been satisfied by the other behemoth’s he had fell this day. The urged him forward, but then just as suddenly, as the gout of

flame spewed from the witch’s hand, they urged him to drop. Rru had lived too long with the spirits to hesitate or even question and his leap forward propelled him face first into the soil. It was then the zombie he had just beheaded exploded in a wave of heat and a spray of boiling juices. Decidedly an unpleasant way to go he assessed. Even more unpleasant to get bathed in the aerosolized spray. Pulling himself to a crouch, Rru eyed the fire witch. He had heard of them before and they were not to be trifled with. At

least he had his own demon, he noted as Zeris barrelled through the horde like some sort of sand monster drunk on bad hubba gourds, albeit minus the two extra arms.

Another explosion rocked the battlefield and this one Rru recognized. That was a mechanical explosion, an offworlder’s weapon. Perhaps the Jawa had found some use after all. All he needed was a push, literally; although, judging by his screaming, that had probably been an accident too.

Slipping his knife back in his waistband, Rru grabbed his gaffi and broke into a crouching run. He swung the steely beskar, smashing shins, knees, and more than a couple heads before he cleared the bulk of the crowd of flaming monsters. The work of the witch he recognized. Like a sandy vortex he slid under clumsy blows and seemed to fold around others unnaturally in the flash of an eye until

he made it close enough to Zeris. He jerked his head at the smoldering gap that the Jawa had blown in the, thankfully, dry canal wall. “Time to go.” He bellowed, his ears still ringing from the exploding zombie corpse. Looking from the hole

to the flame spewing zombie-demon-witch, he hooked his gaffi in it’s apportioned loop and dug a large round from his bandolier. Shrugging the worn leather strap from his shoulder, he began to run towards the entrance.

Like clockwork, he pulled the bolt back and ejected the spent casing from his cycler. Even on the run, the actions were smooth, borne from a lifetime of practice; albeit that was mostly in hunting more mortal foes or their cursed machines; but the premise was the same. Sliding the next round into the weapon, he locked the bolt forward diving for cover near the rubble from the blown hole. Clutching his rifle, Rru peered around the boulder

for his comrades, bringing the witch into sight. Even across the battlefield, with the ancestral guidance of his forefathers, Rru was confident he could take the shot; whet that would do, would be anyone’s guess.

He settled the reticule on the woman’s head. It seemed the surest way to end her; afterall, the other zombies seemed to go down when their head ceased to exist. His finger settled on the trigger. Slowly, the Tusken inhaled, staring down the sites of his weapon, lining up the shot. He exhaled, putting pressure on the trigger when he heard yet another cry from

Kiv. Out of the corner of his eye, Rru saw the little rodent pursued by two much larger flaming abominations. Swivelling, he leveled the rifle at the two and fired. The shot echoed in the din of the battlefield as the massive slug tore into the chest of the first zombie behind the Jawa, erupting from it’s back in a fount of blood, guts, and flaming putrified organs before it tore into the second; dropping them both in heaps on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

As if getting clotheslined by a rope attached to two speeder bikes, the explosion from the corpse sent me flying. Endless hours of training turned my tumble into a roll, and by some miraculous happenstance I'd been facing away from the corpse when the explosion hit. The vaporized gore blew my coat flat against my body, but didn't touch my skin. I tumbled across the ground before flowing back up to my feet in a single, smooth, practiced motion.

Come on monster, I thought, heart pounding in my ears. Give me more.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:17 AM, Wyvernfall said:

Slipping his knife back in his waistband, Rru grabbed his gaffi and broke into a crouching run. He swung the steely beskar, smashing shins, knees, and more than a couple heads before he cleared the bulk of the crowd of flaming monsters. The work of the witch he recognized. Like a sandy vortex he slid under clumsy blows and seemed to fold around others unnaturally in the flash of an eye until he made it close enough to Zeris. He jerked his head at the smoldering gap that the Jawa had blown in the, thankfully, dry canal wall. “Time to go.” He bellowed, his ears still ringing from the exploding zombie corpse. Looking from the hole to the flame spewing zombie-demon-witch, he hooked his gaffi in it’s apportioned loop and dug a large round from his bandolier. Shrugging the worn leather strap from his shoulder, he began to run towards the entrance.

I growled, like actually growled a little, deep in my throat. I doubted the tusken heard it, which was fortunate. He already gave me enough strange looks without adding more reasons. It sounded like the little jawa had found us an escape route, and if Rru was leaving, then so should I. But my blood was up. These things hadn't given me what I was looking for, but by hell they were going to.

Instead of running, I pressed forward. It was stupid. I know it was stupid. I knew it when I did it that it was stupid. But I'm kind of stupid. I drove my fist into another body, then another, and another. Crunches, pops, and wet tearing sounds were my rewards, but nothing else. These things weren't afraid of me. I wasn't even sure if there was much in there to begin with. I wasn't driving them back. I wasn't defeating them. I wasn't killing them. There wasn't anything to kill! Just bodies. Horrible, twisted bodies hovering somewhere between alive and dead.

I shouted in frustration, and turned to the leader.

Its face was pulled into twisted smile. There was something in that one, I was sure. There was a mind in there, and a malice. It wanted us, and I knew I could get my kicks by taking that away from it. I imagined myself, weaving through fire, driving my fists home into its gut, its legs, its chest, and finally its head. It'd be kriffing glorious.

I took a step forward.

Then, for no reason I could rightly figure beyond my subconscious finally wrestling the controls of my mind away from my bloodthirsty brainstem for a second, I suddenly could smell something awful. It had been there the whole time, and I'd been dimly aware of it, but only now did it come into full focus. It smelled foul, like an animal that had been dying for days mixed with a chemical spill. It made me want to retch, and deep in my mind that stench finally got across what I'd been ignoring this whole time.

These things were sick. And they could get me sick.

I gritted my teeth, screamed in frustration, then turned and ran away. My durasteel legs ate up the distance, flinging me across the wastes like a charging varactyl.

I caught up to the tusken just as he fired his cycler.

"Let's go!"

• Like 1

The spray of blood from the things chasing Kiv rained on the Jawa’s hood like mud during a sand storm. Adrenaline pumping, Kiv didn’t notice as much. At the moment, all that mattered was keeping his legs going until he could find a hiding spot. The way of the rodent was simple. Run and hide and avoid. He would’ve continued doing the latter if it hadn’t been for the Tusken. 

As Zeris ran and escaped the considerably smaller horde, her ladyship came to the corpse of the brute. Smiling, she put both hands over the bloated corpse and let a stream of white fire escape her arms and begin to consume the body. Heated to plasma-esque temperatures, the body bubbled underneath its skin before suddenly bursting open like an exposed sore. 

White gasses escaped the body and plumed upwards into the air. Like a twisted beacon, the smoke could be seen for miles around. What was worse was as the winds began to pick up in the higher altitudes, the smoke’s odd, distinct smell would lure all sorts of monsters to the spot. 

Her ladyship turned and shambled towards where the rest of her horde had given pursuit. It did not matter if her horde died now. The infection would spread when other hordes would arrive. 

The rest of the small horde had broken into a sprint, knowing their opportunity to spread the infection was becoming less likely. All they needed was a solid grasp. A single bite. A tiny scratch, and these beings would join them. 

The dry canal proved useful for the group. Being paved and solid, footsteps were easy here. However, that benefit soon became pointless as the ground suddenly shook under their feet and the roar of a giant wave was heard. 

“Eeep!” Kiv shrieked as he felt the running water of tidal proportions flow towards them. Eyes confirmed his fear. A crashing wave of water was flowing down the once empty canal. Kiv glanced backwards and saw the remaining members of the horde still giving chase, with her ladyship at the back.

“Ack! Think stupid think!” Kiv beat his head over and over in pure panic. “I don’t want to die, I don’t want to…”

Kiv stopped as he spotted something. His heart skipped several beats as he ran to one of the sides of the canal. An out of place metal plate along the space where the floor of the canal connected with the wall. Too big to be a simple panel, the Jawa’s mechanical savvy eye recognised a doorway when he saw one. 

“Open up, open up!” Kiv shouted as he banged on the plate once before feeling around for a place where he could slice his way in. All he needed was a few wires and the door would open up. True the water would still flow in, but that would be a problem after he got inside. 

When the door opened up and a metal gloved hand reached out, Kiv didn’t have a chance to react. 

“Get in! Now!” A voice from inside commanded as it pulled the shrieking Kiv into the unknown.  

The next moment when Kiv opened his eyes, he had to squint. In front of him, a blinding spotlight, silhouetting the numerous figures holding blaster rifles and swords. Kiv held his hands up in surrender as he tried to gather his senses. Next to him, near the open entrance, a figure encased from head to foot in metal armor awaited his companions to quickly make a choice. On the strangers back was a large vibro blade, decorated with numerous writings in a variety of languages Kiv did not recognise. 

"You! Are you infected?" one of the silouetted figures asked, gesturing with its rifle. "Have you been touched by any of the Howlers?" 

"Eeek! Cousin! Please help!" Kiv whimpered as he covered his face with his arms in fright. 

• Like 1

“Let’s go.” @Zeris Mons growled as she rushed past. A few moments later, @Klu Kiv followed suit, a horde of shambling flaming monsters completed the onslaught. Hefting his rifle upwards, Rru cleared the spent casing and inserted a fresh round. Looking up at the horde, Rru jumped to his feet to hurry after the others. He knew it then. He knew it now. The ancestors whispered, urging him to fight against the very instinct that boiled in the man’s blood. This was not a fight they were going to win. The smoke. When its tendrils clawed at the cloudless sky back home, it meant armored reinforcements were usually on their way, hellbent on murdering anyone they perceived as a native of Tatooine. What that meant here was anyone’s guess. On a world like this, given the trio’s brief experiences, it was not going to be friendly.

Like a blur, Rru charged after the others; intent on getting away, even if it meant someone had to carry the smelly Jawa. That did not occur; however, the ground began to quake, bits of chipped stone rattling  against the cobbled ground. The roar of water behind them drew Rru’s attention. Over the heads of the flaming zombie horde a wall of frothing black water roared into view. Rru’s body tensed. Of all the enemies and all the challenges he had faced, this was a new one. Water was a rarity on his homeworld, a sacred one at that. To have it tumbling towards them with bone crushing power was nearly inconceivable and Rru stopped, standing there slack jawed in shock.

He may have stood there until he was overcome had it not been for the blathering of Kiv. It was becoming a mind-grating thing, but it was enough to pull the Tusken Raider’s mind back to reality just in time to see Kiv get yanked below ground by a mechanical hand. Not another one . . .

Run. The ancestors urged him and Rru responded on instinct. The steep walls of the canal channeled the zombies and the water directly towards the three offworlders. They might be able to outrun the horde. The water was a different story. Zeris and Rru, maybe. Augmented as they were, they could hope to flee; but the Jawa. Always the Jawa. There was little escape and the Jawa had been taken.

The force grew around Rru, he bent his knees and leapt.  Arcing high into the air, unnaturally high, Rru somersaulted and came to land atop the canal. He spun around as the water began to consume the horde. They did not even flinch. 

Over the roar, the Jawa’s screeching scream carried. He was in trouble, again. Rru sighed as his shoulders slumped. Zeris was still in the canal and his only known ride off the cursed world. Kiv was, Rru swallowed before he could think it, almost family. He would be no better if he left a cowardly son of Tatoo to die on this damned world. The ancestors whispered, their spirits curling about the firm wraps about Rru’s arms and robes.

Exhaling in a I’m-going-to-regret-this-type of sigh, Rru doge off the lip of the canal straight toward Zeris. He tackled the cybernetic warrior through the opened hatch, his foot catching the handled and slamming it shut behind them as they clattered to the floor, and atop the Jawa with a crash.

Rru tried to roll gracefully out of the pile up, but it was anything but as he flopped to the floor, his foot brushing against the armored toes of one of the men silhouetted by the near blinding bright light. It was such a contrast to the dull world above. Rru tensed, his hands moving slightly prepared to spring from the ground listening for the spirit’s guiding urges leaving the talking to the jabbering rodent or the spacefaring malefactor.

On 12/2/2022 at 1:15 AM, Wyvernfall said:

Exhaling in a I’m-going-to-regret-this-type of sigh, Rru doge off the lip of the canal straight toward Zeris. He tackled the cybernetic warrior through the opened hatch, his foot catching the handled and slamming it shut behind them as they clattered to the floor, and atop the Jawa with a crash.

Rru tried to roll gracefully out of the pile up, but it was anything but as he flopped to the floor, his foot brushing against the armored toes of one of the men silhouetted by the near blinding bright light. It was such a contrast to the dull world above. Rru tensed, his hands moving slightly prepared to spring from the ground listening for the spirit’s guiding urges leaving the talking to the jabbering rodent or the spacefaring malefactor.

I rolled to my feet, fists up and ready to fight. It wasn't really a conscious decision. After catapult wielding bandits, mutant rancors, zombies, floodwaters, and whatever the heck that zabrak thing was, I was a little on edge. I genuinely think I was being rather well composed to have not killed anyone when Rru tackled me into a hidden door that I sincerely hoped was waterproof.

It quickly became apparent though that a fight was out of the question. The figures around us were armed with guns, it was a tight corridor, and they were all on one side. This was a shooting gallery, and no amount of training or reflexes was going to stop us from being perforated if they decided to fire. Maybe if one of us were a legendary Jedi, but wishes are like co-pilots in my experience. Great at telling you how things should be, but never helpful.

I slowly dropped out of my stance, deliberately taking up a posture more reminiscent of an academy slacker than a trained fighter. Communication through posture was one of the first things you learned from echani fighters, and knowing how to silently tell someone "I'm not a threat, don't shoot me" had saved me more than once.

"We're not infected," I said, hoping it would help. To be honest, I wasn't entirely, absolutely, 100% sure that was true. I'd lost sight of the other two a couple times. But that fact didn't sound like something that would keep us from getting shot, so I kept it to myself. Given what we'd seen, I wouldn't have blamed these guys if they shot first and asked questions never. At the very least they didn't seem to be bandits.

Then a thought occurred to me, a long shot but better than nothing.

"Is Oka Geb here?"

• Like 1

Once the entire trio were inside, the cybernetic warrior  quickly  locked the door that had been closed. No sooner than he did so, the sounds of flooding waters could be heard outside, dooming the monsters out there to be swept away. 

"Alright, ye beings from beyond…" the being said, brandishing his blade towards the three, the edges vibrating with activation. "Reveal thy faces now. Show untainted skin, and trust shall be ye reward, lest ye wish to taste blade and rejoin twilight."

However, at Zeris words, the figure stopped and eased up slightly, taking a step back. "Ye know Geb? Doest thou be friend of our friend? Then trust may be easier to give. Yer thoughts be proof of cleanliness. Still, we require proof that thy companions be clean and pure. Show thy faces and untainted flesh, or give other proof we can trust thee.  In darkest times, the monsters press harder, and we lost many a companion to the Howling. We won't risk another loss to carelessness"

At this, the other beings aimed their rifles at the Tusken and the Jawa, now ignoring zeris at the moment. As the group's eyes adjusted, they could see Geb's handiwork on the figures. Some had mechanical limbs like zeris (though of poorer quality), some had only replaced hands, some had mechanical grafts over wounds, while others had replaced their eyes and lower jaws. Even armor on the cybernetic being seemed to be grafted directly onto his skin. All of mechanical works were of poor quality however, and showing signs of wear and tear.

Further beyond in the background, noises could be heard. A high power generator buzzed over the sound of rushing water as precious fuel was burned to keep the place secure.  Braying of several miniature runyips somewhere as they herded around bags collected grass could be heard alongside the cooing of mothers tending crying children . 

"Eek! Me clean, me clean!" Kiv declared, waving his hands now that he had regained his breath after rru had gotten off. "See? Me show face, me clean! No disease here! Least no disease from here!"

With this, Kiv briefly opened his hood and revealed the furry-like face underneath. Everyone in the room caught a huge whiff of the pungent odors when the rodent thing revealed itself, and more than one person was happy to see the hood go back over Kivs face, hiding everything but his glowing eyes. 

Kiv looked at Rru and elbowed the Tusken. “You show face, right lone raider? Or perhaps have way of proving we aren’t tainted? Me not ready for blaster squad”

Edited by Klu Kiv
  • Like 1

The Tusken lay prone, every sense tingling in anticipation of the next moment. This planet and her inhabitants had been trying to kill them since they arrived, not much unlike home. What happened took him a bit by surprise, as he squinted through the light he noted that these people seemed to be something like @Zeris Mons, cobbled together, their lives dependent on machines. Beyond the rows of armed guards, he could make out children, families, a nomad living. It was something he recognized. He did not have time to ponder it much though as his comrades spoke and the attentions of the entire company seemed to turn to him.

Of course they would demand that he expose his flesh to them. Their blasphemy would know no end and even if it was to save his life and those of his traveling companions, he could not, would not abandon the ways of his people so easily like @Klu Kiv did, sniveling tondo the bidding of whoever might ensure his next paycheck. 

Slowly and cautiously, sure to keep his hands in plain view and well away from his array of weapons he stood. Holding his wrapped hands before him, he regarded the group before him as the tension seemed to rise with each moment of non-response. His black robes were caked in dirt and dust, damp with the spray of spilled zombie blood and watery most. A low guttural growl escaped from his mouthpiece as he stood like a sentinel, almost daring those before him to make their first move, to try and force him to comply with their demands of heresy. He could sense their fear. Their existence stunk of it.

Finally after what felt like forever of the armed guards nervously angling their weapons towards him, Rru shrugged the strap of his rifle from his shoulder. It would have slid down his rough-clad arm had it not been soaked in the juices of the horde he had carved through. As it were it stuck and the rifle flopped forward. The Raider caught the barrel before it swept the company. Cradling the weapon in his hands, the warrior expertly locked back the bolt, popping the unspent chambered cartridge into the air, snagged on the release it twirled in the air glinting in the artificial light. Snapping his opposite hand upward, he caught the round midair and shoved it into an empty loop of his ammo-filled bandolier without looking. Then, as if by reflex, never taking his eyes from the strangers, his fingers flew across the exterior of the weapon. In less than a minute he had dismantled the firing mechanisms of the weapon down to it’s cleaning state. Holding the pieces up, he canted his head at the mechanized strangers before just as quickly and deftly reassembling the weapon in a flurry of clicks and clacks until the rifle was complete and operable again. Pulling an explosive round from his bandolier, he held it up in the light, it’s orange fiery surface gleaming before slapping it into the gun and sliding the bolt shut. Slinging the weapon, Rru dropped his hands to his side and stared, hoping his presentation was enough to prove he was not infected by the plague they so feared.

But in fact, that was not true. Not entirely. The blood of the zombie horde burned in the thick armored rags, seeping deep until they touched the man’s skin, oozing about the corners of his lips seeking purchase to spread anew.

There was some flinching when the Tusken began to prove his health. Disassembling and reassembling a weapon suddenly would do that. However, the leader of the group held a fist up, letting the Tusken continue his work. After Rru’s performance, there was a pause of unease in the air. And then…

“Huzzah!” the figure proclaimed, sheathing his sword and offering a hand to the group to help them up. “Tis good to know that ye are clean and able of mind. We have known too many become Howling, and succumb to the chaos outside. It dost my heart and mind well to know ye be pure”

At this, the other beings holstered their weapons, breathing collective sighs of relief. Most of them turned and went away to help wherever they were needed, while others went to the door that the group came through to make sure it was secure, leaving the leader to interact with the group. 

“Call me Reynauld, friends,” the figure continued. “What names shall I call ye?”

“Oh! I’m Kiv, the wise and knowledgeable.” Kiv chimed in, visibly more comfortable now that there were no weapons pointed at him. “This is my bodyguard Rru and this is my pilot, Zeris. She was looking for her friend, yes?”

Reynauld turned his stature towards Zeris and nodded. Removing his helmet, he revealed a broad weather-beaten human face. “Yes, thou a friend of Geb, and dost be a friend of ours. Strange fellow, but good with machines and generous with time. Come! We have much to discuss!”

Reynauld led the group further into the conclave. Through areas of specialized greenhouses tended by both humans and labor droids, patches of farmland raising small domestic creatures, and several hatcheries utilizing water pumped from outside, the entire place painted a picture of some kind of early-stage colony. 

Reynauld eventually led the group to what could only be described as a communal eating area. Several large salvaged durasteel tables sat around, filled with modest plates of cheeses and vegetables. 

“Though it doesn’t be much” Reynauld apologized, gesturing to sit, “I hope it fills thy stomachs. A thousand pardons for how we treated ye when ye first intruded, but with Howling, safety sometimes triumphs over benevolent customs.” 

“Zeris, thy friend in common…” Reynauld continued, sitting down across from the group, looking at Zeris. “He dost be a good being, truly. We are sorry that he did not be here when ye arrived. Reunions are amongst the greatest and most sacred of treasures here, as my Master has taught me. She will join us shortly, she is still communing with Glasignis’ Twilight. Her communing takes longer than ever now, and I fear when she may not be able to pull back. But her time is hers, and I am but a student.  ”

“But whilst we wait…” Reynauld’s tone suddenly shifted from ominous to genuine curiosity, leaning on the table heavily towards the group. “Tell how does the galaxy at wide fare? Dost Coruscant rebirth go well? Has thy guardians risen from the ashes of war? We receive little word from beyond the galaxy, and while that keeps many sated in their daily quests, my spirit longs to know more.”  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, Klu Kiv said:

“Zeris, thy friend in common…” Reynauld continued, sitting down across from the group, looking at Zeris. “He dost be a good being, truly. We are sorry that he did not be here when ye arrived. Reunions are amongst the greatest and most sacred of treasures here, as my Master has taught me. She will join us shortly, she is still communing with Glasignis’ Twilight. Her communing takes longer than ever now, and I fear when she may not be able to pull back. But her time is hers, and I am but a student.  ”

“But whilst we wait…” Reynauld’s tone suddenly shifted from ominous to genuine curiosity, leaning on the table heavily towards the group. “Tell how does the galaxy at wide fare? Dost Coruscant rebirth go well? Has thy guardians risen from the ashes of war? We receive little word from beyond the galaxy, and while that keeps many sated in their daily quests, my spirit longs to know more.”  

As I sat down to eat (you never know when you'll get another chance) I thought about what he said. The good part was he hadn't outright said Geb was dead. The bad part was he wasn't saying much of anything else about him, and that was never an indication for 'everything's ok here, no problems at all'.

"Coruscant's still a junk pile," I said between bites, surprised at the quality of their food. "Sith are still out there last I heard." I thought of Leena, beacon of light in the madness of Byss. "Jedi too."

I let the silence linger for a few awkward moments while I chewed a particularly large piece of cheese. Deep down in my gut, I found a little knot loosening. These people had seen Geb. Heck, it looked like he'd worked on most of them. While that wasn't a shade on actually finding the dung-eating nerf herder, it was something. We were closing in. And then we could leave this miserable little world. Right after we...

"OH KARKING #$%^@##$ #$@@#$% ON A #$$@%^!

I LEFT THE KARKING SPEEDER AT THE KARKING BUILDING!"

• Haha 2

The Tusken glowered at the Jawa, @Klu Kiv, from behind his shrouds. The only outward sign was a slightly off put stance as he stood silently listening to the whispers of voices only he could hear.

Falling in with the rest, Rru’s eyes scanned the family gathering areas and rudimentary living arrangements constructed beneath the surface. As he walked, Rru licked his lips, the iron taste of blood a puzzling side effect. He did not remember getting hit in the face or head, but maybe he had in the thick of things.

Taking note of the communal plates of food, Rru took a seat beside @Zeris Mons empty-handed. He knew tradition dictated that to refuse such graciousness may be a slap in the face. He couldn’t even understand half of what the man seemed to be blathering about and his mind was distracted. The ancestors whispered in strange riddles too, not like their host, but dark thoughts that drew all but his basest attentions from the world around them. And so he sat, trying in vain to listen, his goggles face staring off into the distance.

He was drawn back to reality by Zeris’ sudden outburst. Her anger pierced the veil that seemed to be overshadowing him. He shook his head to clear any cobwebs from it. “We left the supplies,” he growled as he made sense of the explosion. “Surely the fire witch has claimed them by now. Burned them with her demon flame.” He turned a sidelong glance towards Kiv, “Send your metal pets to check.”

Kiv raised his hands to his face in horror. 

“Eek! I forgot! Eyes!”

Kiv stood up and started to run in a random direction in the blind hope of find a place he could contact Eyes, but stopped, staring. 

“Uh, what’s that?” Kiv pointed. Floating on a pair of barely running repulsorlifts, the target of his curiosity looked like a coffin, being pushed by two robed individuals in the direction of the group. Kiv ran back to the group and crowded next to Rru, half curious but also nervous.

Reynauld stood up and took a knee before the coffin like thing, sword. Now close enough, the two robed men halted and stood to the sides of it. Grabbing one end, they slowly lifted it up until it stood on the ground. 

The first obvious fact was the object was entirely made of carbonite. Flash-frozen and bound into the form of a coffin, the object was showing signs of age. Its edges were chipped, its exterior was somehow rusting from unknown elements of the planet. However, nothing was as disturbing as the figure inside. 

“Friends, tis my master. A protector of twilight since her youth, this is Keeper Junia”

The woman looked almost as if she was peacefully sleeping. Similarly dressed like Reynauld in armor, the figure was a gaunt, elderly woman, arms crossed over her chest . However, at second glance, Kiv noticed something. 

Eek! Her arm!” Kiv pointed. The skin looked like at the time of being frozen it had burst open, with tendrils of flesh and jutting shards of crystals, while her other arm looked as if it was developing fish scales “I thought you didn’t allow infected people in here?”

“Hold thy tongue rat!” Reynauld commanded, visibly offended by Kiv’s words. “Junia twas a keeper when the Howling first began to spread, and in her attempt to heal the masses, she became infected. To preserve her, the other members froze her in carbonite until we can find a way to cure her.”

Reynauld turned and bowed to the frozen figure, apologizing for Kiv’s comment. For a moment, he stayed silent, then apologized again to the figure and then turned to the group. 

“My master reprimanded me for my outburst. I must apologize, oh Kiv, her current predicament takes a hold on me greatly. Do not be disturbed my friends. Though she be frozen, being her student, I have learned to connect with her in the Force. Though she has communed with others occasionally.”

Reynauld glanced towards the frozen image of Junia and nodded. “Yes, she communed with one of you before.”

“She states that thy speeder is safe, Zeris. Those afflicted with the Howling tend to leave things like machinery alone unless it benefits them in some way, and the outlaws who plague this area are unaware of thy machine. It should be safe for a while.”

“Now onto our mutual friend. Geb was taken by outlaws a few days ago. It seems they believed they could use him to barter with one of our fallen members of our order. You have seen his place, the grand library. It once held information from all across the galaxy. But now, the madman inside keeps the knowledge to himself, bound and determined to preserve all the information to the end, no matter the cost of life.” 

Reynauld stopped and listened a moment to Junia, her unmoving form a stoic image. 

“Yes, he is still alive, and is still there, according to Junia. Though we both doubt his time remaining. Even the Howling avoid that building. How and why is beyond our understanding, but be warned, all who enter have never exited. Even I don’t brave those once-sacred grounds”  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, these people were crazy.

Now I'm not discounting that there may be some mystical communing thing going on between these people and their freeze-dried master. I've seen enough strange things in the galaxy to know that science has barely scratched the surface of the weirdness the universe is capable of. No, what made me sure that these people were crazy were the way they looked at their master. That was cult fever there. That was the kind of devotion where you'd eat nails if your master asked you to, and then you'd call for seconds. Granted, maybe I was being a bit harsh with them. Considering where they lived, I'd be surprised if anyone on this world wasn't a bit crazy, and this version of it seemed mostly harmless. Still, I tensed up. Crazy people were unpredictable, and I hated unpredictable.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:26 AM, Klu Kiv said:

“She states that thy speeder is safe, Zeris. Those afflicted with the Howling tend to leave things like machinery alone unless it benefits them in some way, and the outlaws who plague this area are unaware of thy machine. It should be safe for a while.”

“Now onto our mutual friend. Geb was taken by outlaws a few days ago. It seems they believed they could use him to barter with one of our fallen members of our order. You have seen his place, the grand library. It once held information from all across the galaxy. But now, the madman inside keeps the knowledge to himself, bound and determined to preserve all the information to the end, no matter the cost of life.” 

Reynauld stopped and listened a moment to Junia, her unmoving form a stoic image. 

“Yes, he is still alive, and is still there, according to Junia. Though we both doubt his time remaining. Even the Howling avoid that building. How and why is beyond our understanding, but be warned, all who enter have never exited. Even I don’t brave those once-sacred grounds”  

Great. Of course that was where Geb was. Of course! The madman couldn't have just stayed out of trouble. If he could, he wouldn't be on this planet.

I stood up, and looked at the others. Then I started walking

"I'm going to get him. You coming?"

I stopped next to Keeper Junia's body.

"Can she hear me? Can you ask her if there's a way into that place that won't get us killed right away?" I really hoped she had a way, because otherwise my plan was to take the Crate and try firing at the building until I blasted a hole in something.

• Like 1

Reynauld nodded. 

“Aye, she can hear thee as I understand she. All one has to do is listen and her voice can be spoken upon those unseen currents. There are two ways for thy quest to proceed. The first is the obvious way ye entered this place. We have methods of controlling those currents that saved ye earlier. But Junia would warn thee that the numbers of the Howling have surely grown by now, and will now reduce for several more days, as is normal for them. “ 

Reynauld stood up and rearmed his helmet and sword and gestured to the group to follow. Before leaving, he knelt before Keeper Junia and said some kind of prayer. During this time, one member of the caravan approached, carrying Eyes who had found his way via the same entrance that was used for Junia’s meditations. Kiv was beyond excited to have his droid back. 

“The other way to thy quest is further underground.” Reynauld led the group further through the small colony-like area, past people farming unusual plants and animals that had not yet been contaminated. Numerous individuals here seemed to sport cybernetic attachments, a testament to Geb’s handiwork. 

Reynauld stopped before a set of stairs that led into darkened tunnels. “The sluices here in this city are still mostly intact. They run all throughout the burnt city scape, and unlike above, most of the Howling have left it alone. That said, I must warn ye, a different breed of monster dwells there. Several nerfs from the country side have made their home there, and while they do not spread the disease like those with the Howling, their crude intelligence is fearsome. We have lost more than one soldier to their creative cruelties. ” 

Under the light of nearby lamps beyond a locked gate, one could glance a crude totem made of bone and metal shrapnel. No doubt a warning put up by the denizens that Reynauld was warning the party about. Reynauld went to a datapad near the gate and, after taking a glove to handle the pad better, pressed a complex set of numbers. The gate clicked and slowly opened up, revealing a near claustrophobia-inducing tunnel. 

“We can provide ye the best directions we have, but the exploration will be ultimately up to you. There should be an exit directly underneath the grand library. I’d come with ye to save our friend, but my quest and training is here with Junia. We will not be leaving this place for a few more cycles, so if ye rescue Geb, we will be here to receive him. If ye can convince the member of our Order to leave his post, we would be forever in your debt, but I doubt your efforts would prove fruit beyond the rescue of Geb.” 

Reynauld glanced towards Rru and placed an ungloved hand on the Tusken's shoulder. "I feel in my soul that thy skills as a hunter will be useful here friend. I know not your origin, but you carry traits of a hunter and a warrior. The nerfs here will fear ye I think." 

• Like 1

Something...something about that totem unnerved me.

Maybe it was that I couldn't identify the bones that had been used.

Maybe it was the crude malice that the thing seemed to give off, as if the maker had imbued his very spirit into it.

...Or maybe it was because nerfs weren't supposed to have hands.

I took a breath, willing myself calm. Simple meditation was practically like breathing to the echani, and while I'd never been the best at that part, I knew enough to take control of my thoughts when I had the mind to. Still, it took longer than it should have, and longer than I was comfortable with.

But I wasn't stopping now. I'd come to help Geb, and by every demon, spirit, shade, and god in this galaxy, I was going to do it.

I stepped into the tunnel.

I hadn't gone far before something felt off. Well, that's a bit misleading. I mean, felt more off. There didn't seem to be any reason for it at first. The tunnel looked the same as the last couple dozen feet. In fact, it might have looked better.

Then it hit me. The tunnel was cleaner here.

Something, likely unintentionally, had swept away the dirt, grime, and dust that had accumulated here. Not all of it, but just enough to make its passage noticeable. But...this tunnel went only one direction, there hadn't been any side-passages, so why was this spot-

My answer came in the form of a rumble, right before the ceiling dropped in, cascading down in a lethal avalanche right where I would have been standing had I kept going. The large stone that had (I assumed) been holding up the makeshift trap before getting shoved aside dropped along with the downpour with a solid CRACK

Thump

Something else dropped out of the ceiling. Something big...and hairy.

Rru followed along. He did not interact with anyone and the few children that happened to bump into him while playing were met by a low animalistic growl causing them to scurry away. The Tusken stayed close to his companions. Several times he found himself blinking repeatedly beneath his mask trying to will away the fog that seemed to not only be creeping into his peripherals but also his mind as well. Anything that did not require a singular focus was ignored. It was easier that way. And the voices, his ancestors, they seemed, well, dark and distant. What he could hear from them howled for blood, for revenge against any of those, these, for wrongs they or any of their people may have perpetuated against the Sand People in the past. And there was still another voice, a strange one, unnatural as if it were frozen in time. His ancestors detested this one most of all. Had Rru seen or heard it’s source, he would surely be inclined to try and extinguish it.

Shuffling after the others, he put a hand to his helmeted head as if that would stop the pounding the chittering Jawa seemed to elicit. It didn’t. One step in front lf the other. Moving. Focused. A warrior of the sands, gliding along was second nature to him, and yet, he remained focused on moving, on following two steps behind @Zeris Mons and @Klu Kiv. Into the darkness, at least that helped a little, they moved. Instinctively, Rru’s hand rested in the bend of his hooked gaffi stick, little knowing just what was to come.

The. It happened, a rumbling earthen sound from above them. His comrades had sensed it and scurried for cover, but not Rru. No, he was not one of them, a coward. He was a proud son of the twin suns of Tatoo and be stood firm, only to be bowled over like a reed in the surge of a river as rocks and yowling matted fur as they fell. Cast to the side like a leaf in a gale. He did not stay down; however, oh no, the fire in his veins refused to allow such a thing as his ancestors cried for blood. Rru leapt to his feet, the fog seeming to retreat as it was overcome by a bloodlust not often displayed, even by a Tusken. He leapt forward, his gaffi stick already freed and a blood curdling howl erupting from his lips to echo down the cavernous tunnel. He fell upon the hairy beast and began to stab into it repeatedly sensing gouts of blood and tufts of fur into the dark air. 

During the walk in the Sluices, Kiv did what he did best: talk. 

“This is strange planet, yes friends?” Kiv commented, while glancing in every direction like the rodent he was. “I mean, the whispers here do not do this place justice. The monsters up there are bad. Very bad. Smell bad. At least here it smells more like home. Not sure how nerfs can be troublesome, can you lone raider?”

“But then again, this place have valuables, does it not?” Kiv suddenly thought aloud. “After all, how many explorers and officials would love to have survey information on this world? How many would pay, right pilot? We could make small fortune with your ship, no? Oooh, maybe library has treasures we can sell! Hehe yes! Brilliant plan, isn’t it Eyes?”

Before Eyes could answer, the roof caved in. Eyes, being the droid he was, reacted quick enough to extend an arm and shove Kiv to avoid the worst of the crumbling rocks and stone as the beast fell from above. Kiv screeched and crawled further away before he got a glance of the beast. 

It was large to say the least. As some kind of massive hunchback, the bipedal creature was both heavy and stout, its back almost touching the ceiling. Its taurine face was horribly scarred and almost human-like in its expression of rage, its oversized molar teeth bared widely. Several carved unknown symbols carved into its horns mirrored the ones carved into its skin where its fur was ritually shaved. 

The Nerf that had crashed down wielded a club of disregarded metal in one hand. It brought it up to crush the screaming rodent in front of it. Thankfully, the Tusken had seized the moment and attacked first. The beast roared as the Tusken landed on its back, stumbling around as blood spurted from its new wounds. 

The Bull raised its head and bellowed loudly, its noises echoing further down. Rapidly it smashed one of its hoofed feet into the ground. The Bull’s noises were answered by several loud snorts further down the tunnel. Three nerf calves, half the size of the raging bull, appeared, two wielding spears on their backs, with the last armed with two large bones and a drum near its belly. The drummer began pounding the drum loudly and rhythmically, signaling the other two to charge. Mooing and getting on all fours, these two did not share the hands the Brute and Drummer had. Instead, the spears on their back and their own horns would attempt to gore the targets. 

Eyes continued to act. With its arm extended, it proceeded to try to stab and scratch the Bull’s face, interrupting its bellow. The Bull in turn tried to swat the little thing away, forgetting about the Tusken on its back. Kiv on the other hand tried to crawl away until he saw the charging calves. 

“Not good! Not good!” Kiv exclaimed, literally pointing out the obvious. 

• 2 weeks later...

"I've got them," I said, rushing past the jawa and the Bull.

Part of me wanted to help take down the big guy, but it looked like the tusken had it...well not handled, but in hand for now. Besides, if we let these bulky beasts crowd us in a narrow passage, we were dead.

The two spear-charging calves had pulled ahead of their drum wielding sibling, and were picking up speed as their legs rumbled out an accompaniment to the drumbeat. I skidded to a halt in the center of their path as each jostled with the other to gore me. Inhale. Exhale. The pair thundered and bellowed as they drew closer. Inhale. Exhale.

I dropped into a low stance and delivered a solid kick to the side of the head of the calf that had won the right to impale me. Bracing my mechanical legs into a straight line, my entire lower half became one giant lever braced against the floor, and the nerf calf's own momentum turned him aside and crashing into the wall, spearheads snapping as he struggled to keep his footing. The other one whooshed past me, and I only barely managed to grasp its shaggy coat as it did. Pulled off my feet, I was dragged down the passage towards the jawa. Gritting my teeth, I used my superhuman arms to swing myself up and deliver a kick to the creature's neck. I couldn't work up enough momentum to really hurt it while being dragged along its side, but the cold metal tip of my toe digging into its side was enough to make it notice. As I hoped, it turned with the kick instinctively, no longer aimed at the jawa. Unfortunately, it also came to a stop far quicker than I would have thought possible. It slammed the side I was holding onto into the wall, and I was forced to let go and roll under it. I came up, and found myself between two very angry mutated nerf calves.

Wonderful.