Anaxes - Military Base

handofthrawn

Beck sat behind the large war table inside the Fiat Lux when the door slid open suddenly. Lieutenant Rurn stepped in and gave him a salute before moving out of the door frame to let the others in. The officials all poured in looking disgruntled a bit at having to wait upon the Admiral and then were told to board a ship to meet the Admiral. He only half acknowledged them, as none of them seemed interested in following procedure. Upon everyone taking a seat, he raised his eyes off his datapad to look around before returning to it for a moment longer. After a minute passed while everyone was seated waiting on him, he finally put the datapad down. 

“Let’s address the bantha in the room shall we.” Beck now pushed his chair back and stood up at the head of the table. “This establishment has the worst formality I have ever seen or heard of in my entire career. In the week I have been here, only two of the 14 classes have been running. The training rooms have not been in operation. Not a single one of you have done anything outside of attempting to raise your own personal platform - to which it's zero in case anyone was wondering. And to top all of that off, the catinas have seen a triple increase in activity from the war college.” Beck dropped his datapad on the table to make a loud noise to emphasize his point. “I’m not stupid, I hear the whispers and rumors. That the new guy is going to make us too imperial. The new guy is an ass hole with an ego problem- lower your hand, whatever you have to say is only going to dig a deeper hole.” He began to walk around the table as he spoke. 

“No one here can say that it’s because I haven’t done anything, because you’ve been without a commander for the past nine months. This is laziness taking hold. Plus the logs I have uploaded have been beyond disgusting in regards to what is being expected here. Personal holo training sessions. Upgraded food processors, individual refresher stations…Maintenance requests for things such as upkeep of starfighters and dorm hall cleanings… Who the hell are you training? Royalty?” By this point, Beck had arrived back at his chair. He picked up his datapad and began to type something on it, but kept talking. 

“I don’t care for Imperial/Rebel tactics. I care for results. From here on out, things are changing. Students and staff may only visit the cantinias if they finish their quota. Students must also possess a passing level of 95 to leave campus. Maintenance requests are for the college study areas and lavatories only- except dorms. Students must clean their own floors. Make it a competition if you must. Starfighters can be cleaned by students, that’s now a part of their curriculum. They should know those things inside and out.” He then turned his datapad to face everyone.  “I am uploading must reads to everyone’s personal datapads. In a week we will be discussing said items you’ve read.”

Beck again dropped his own datapad upon the table. “Tomorrow I want war training exercises to begin again. You all have been sent groupings as well. Each team will be awarded points upon their performances…. This also includes all of you… I will figure out what the point system will get you after the first exercise. You’re all dismissed.” Beck slowly returned to his seat as everyone else got up with slight murmuring at the outcome of their very first meeting with Admiral Beck. Lilla Rurn came up to him as the war room cleared. “You gave them a shock at the very least.” He took a glance up at her. “They’ll be mad at me for a good few weeks. Change takes time. And I’d rather come out of the gate hard and strong. They need to change the way things have been done here.”

• Like 1

emperorpilon.png

• 4 weeks later...

The war room onboard the Fiat Lux had become almost respite for Beck as he sat within the chair at the head of the table, sipping on caf as he looked over every aspect of the reports of the first two war training programs. Two of the Alliance commanders walked in, both with their own datapads in hand. One took a moment after putting stuff down to salute, the other did not. Beck returned the salute and half acknowledged the other. Commander Hithro was very outspoken about her dislike towards Beck and his tactics ever since he arrived. Opposite of her friend, Captain Jeneri, who seemed to fall in line rather quickly and even got her squads to perform at the top of the cadet class. He looked over both before returning to what he was doing, which was simply reading the reports that everyone was going to go over in this meeting, but doing it in advance to have more headspace to help everyone in the room. Only two of the training officers did not send in their reports early. Hithro was one of them. 

Within the next minute, every other officer who was supposed to be present walked into the room, all giving a quick salute to the Admiral. Once everyone was seated, he began his debrief for the last week. "Overall good numbers. Delta and Alpha squad really pulled up their numbers study hall wise. Omega and Cobalt both increased by three percent on battle readiness. Crimson and Ebony held their current status from last week. Ice and Grey have yet to have their test runs this week. Commander Yelissia, I'm approving your request for an extra five minutes in the study hall, but changing around your schedule to accommodate such a request. Captain Hurrorm and Jeneri, both of you requested the same thing. I can't approve both, but if you're both willing to split the difference...?" Both Captains looked at each other. Hurrorm went first. "I was planning on using the simulator time to work on a few more maneuvers for my squad to try out, but I can always just use the practice time and just work more after hours to game plan." Jeneri narrowed her own eyes, not taking them off of Hurrorm, whom the two held a small rivalry between their squads. "As long as we alternate to simulator programs, I can accept such a dual compromise to work in the sim together." Beck looked at both Captains before giving a very small shrug and locking his response on the datapad. "Settled then." 

"Commander Tyferhon, I believe that since you won last week's war game, you may take Crimson squad out on the Borleias run. Captain Atheoin, your squad has the week off from War games. I would highly suggest using that time more creatively to improve self maintenance procedures. Five is too many to have faulty/dirty weapons checks in the war games." He looked down to talk about his own schedule for the upcoming week when Hithro spoke up. "Sir, I strongly believe that my request for lieutenant Kallico to join me has been ignored for the past two weeks is long enough." Beck slowly looked up from his chair and slide his datapad away. The tension in the room was elevated and everyone could feel it. "Since you feel so strongly about it enough to disrupt my meeting, tell the room why you think having the fighter lieutenant join you in your command circle is so important..." Beck now leaned back and locked his eyes on her, like a sniper would lock in on its target. She looked around the room for a moment before standing up to address everyone. 

"He has been a rally point for those within the starfighter squadrons, helping to motivate and keep everyone else on task. His numbers performance and academic wise have been through the roof. And while yes, he did fail the command test twice, I feel like with the right guidance and mentorship, he could become a strong member of our command group down the road." Tyferhon looked over at Beck. His eyes flashed something that was almost wonder at the response. The Admiral only slightly saw it, as he kept his own eyes locked on Hithro as some murmurs began to fill the room. He choose to let them fill the room before he slowly raised his hand to draw everyone's attention back to him. Once the room was quiet again, he spoke so matter of fact. 

"Request denied." The murmurs began to quickly rise again, but this time he simply spoke over everyone, but now his voice filled the room as he spoke with authority, yet he remained seated. He didn't feel a need to rise to challenge her power, as she had none. "You want for me to grant someone who failed the test twice to get special privileges because they could learn from being side by side with you. What they hell to do you think this is? The Jedi Order?! We're naval and military branches of government. We follow procedures. Orders. Standards. If Kallico was so good outside of his own area of expertise, he would show it. He has not. We are not here to burden ourselves down by distracting ourselves with the mentorship of one or two officers beyond our circles. If you want to mentor someone so badly Hithro, may I suggest Undaro or Laditha. Both of whom have been putting extra time into studying fleet tactics and time in the simulators. Unlike you, where your squad has dropped off two points in the war games and you don't even turn in your own reports on time. Get your own squad up to par before you make request for things that could bring you down."

The room was suddenly hushed as Hithro slowly shook from both anger and something else. It took her a good while to even sit down again after being addressed so firmly. But Beck did indeed wait for her to sit before he went on. "I will be leaving in six standard hours to head for Chandrila on a consult meeting with the leaders there. If it goes well, a garrison may stationed there to help them, along with us having them as a new stop for supply deliveries, which would increase either the top two winners of the war games or have a longer tour for the winners. Lieutenant Lilla Rurn will be in charge of the Fiat Lux while I'm gone. Reports are still to be delivered on time, and the next round of war games start in twelve hours. I will be back by the end of this next round. Graduation reports should soon be filled out." Beck looked around the room, taking a moment to look at everyone. "Dismissed."

emperorpilon.png