Corellia

Darth Jade

The pressure on Raynuk’s hands increased, a small sigh of relief escaping the girl sitting next to him. She looked uncertain for a fraction of a second, then impulsively wrapped her arms around his neck in a grateful embrace. “I’d like that,” she whispered as though she could gather no more strength to power her voice.

Raynuk returned the hug without hesitation and whispered back, “For the record, I kinda hated him too…”

Tirzah laughed, the sound ushering in a reminder of her youth, almost like a breeze that clears the stale air from a room. As she released him and sat once again beside him, she grinned. “Mom wouldn’t understand,” she said with amusement tickling her eyes. For the space of a few long seconds, she stared at him as though she could have more to say, but thought the better of it as the door swung open.

53bzzl2.png

...why are the pretty ones always the most hazardous to your health?

May the Forth therve you well...

Raia's retreat from the room went almost unnoticed by Jaina. Her mind seemed to fall end over end, one moment sure about a great many truths of the galaxy and the Force, and the next imploding in a flurry of doubt, both concerning herself and those around her. While she had fielded the Dathomiri girl’s questions successfully and with authenticity, the barrage of questions had led to Jaina’s own mind spinning into a vortex of thought.

Do I really even trust him or do I cling to him because he means I won’t have to be alone again?

Out of the Hapan tomb, Raynuk’s very blood had summoned her. Jaina wasted hours of thought, conflicted and anxious, simply on how to get away from him. Shutting down the stream of emotions she felt from him had been priority number one, just as she had attempted to hold back from him to maintain her own safety.

No, not just her own, Tirzah’s too.

Yet, here she was, willingly sending her daughter to have a heart-to-heart with a Sith Master who, short weeks ago, Jaina was convinced had murderous intentions where she was concerned.

But all of that had crumbled the mere moment he showed an inkling of willingness to help her, a glister of turncoat from his foundation of wanton destruction.

Maybe he is just playing the long game. He’s always been good at hiding from me, a voice of accusation rang out in her mind. Maybe when he’s got everyone on the hook, he throws the bait back into the sea and lets us be the collateral damage of his greatness once more.

He wouldn’t do that, the ashes of hope urged in a mere whisper. He’s changed.

What about Emily?

Emily. This all came down to Emily. Every time there was an opportunity for her to reconcile with Raynuk, something had come up and been in the way. First, it had been Ashley. Then, it had been Jaina’s return to the Jedi. Out of that had come her marriage to Andon, and then at Raynuk’s lowest point as Quietus, resorting to hiding away to protect her unborn child.

Now, it was Emily, carrying a child of her own, fallen beyond recall in the clutches of a sinister organization who almost surely wanted her for bait of their own design. Emily, who had erupted with rage and jealousy the moment she had begun to suspect Raynuk’s feelings for Jaina, feelings that he had explicitly confirmed in the tale he spun for the girls.

Tirzah’s questions had, indeed, hit far too close to the mark.

She loved him, of course she loved him. But such a love could not exist in this galaxy, not at present. There were too many other things at stake, too many strings attached, too many opportunities for some fuse to catch fire from careless application of passion. Not to mention, she had no grid for how far his feelings toward her extended, and it was a question she was loath to ask.

But then, she had a means of asking, where she knew he would be utterly unable to hide from her. The strength of their bond, as yet untested, like a ringing in Jaina’s ears she was attempting to ignore rather than address.

So, perhaps it was time to open the floodgates.

Like a flower bud opens to the warming rays of light, Jaina unfolded herself, petal by petal, and reached toward her soul-bonded companion. In the flaring glow of his presence, the fiery Sith Master’s heart poured out to her, molten metal filling every crack of space between them.

In that moment, she saw him truly, as she never had dared before. Carefully checked, there was some stifled emotion that asked to run rampant through his thoughts, but Jaina could not immediately put her finger on it. It was not regret: by this time, she had become intimately familiar with the savor of Raynuk’s regret. No, this was something more.

Suddenly, Jaina became startlingly aware: she had been deluding herself that she was entering into the unfiltered fabric of his soul for Raia’s sake. To reassure the girl that planned to bind her future up in his, she had traipsed down previously forbidden paths, all in the name of selfless Jedi service.

No, this was an errand that was selfish in its entirety. And at last, she had a name for the emotion that he dared not let himself express, that they both held behind lock and key because the circumstances of the galaxy would not abide it.

Belonging. Deep within the recesses of his soul, Jaina found Raynuk’s desire for belonging, yet it was not a vague or ethereal hope. Permeating, pervasive, it was a sentiment intended almost wholly for her. There were other elements of such connection that belonged to Raia, Emily, the baby, and even Tirzah, but this… this passion was meant for her. Hidden carefully under a shroud of protective instinct, he nurtured the same hopeful fire that she had nearly let die.

Blinded by her own feelings of being adrift in the galaxy, distracted by Tirzah and Raia’s displacement, she had failed to see where he had put his own hopes on the line to restore the possibility of a future where they belonged together.

An acknowledgment that, now that she was aware of it, was too much for Jaina’s heart to bear up under. Quickly, she retreated from her foray into Raynuk’s mind.

Now, of course, he would be too aware of where she mirrored his feelings, and she was not yet sure if she was ready to open that discussion. Besides which, they still had the unresolved problem of being members of opposing teams, their philosophies too at odds to ever truly be reconciled.

Right?

It was time to get out of this kriffing hospital.

53bzzl2.png

Raia entered the room and closed the door quietly behind her, “Sorry to interrupt you and your mother Tirzah,” her eyes flicked to Raynuk for a moment and her cheeks flushed in embarrassment. “And for interrupting your talk with Tētis now.” The dark-haired girl crossed the room and gave her friend a hug, which Tirzah eagerly returned.

“It’s fine.” The other girl answered, turning back to Raynuk, “I kind of needed to talk to your dad too, I guess. Are you okay? You looked really scared earlier.”

Raia nodded, “I am better. Your mother is a good woman Tirzah; cherish her, Mazais.”

Tirzah smiled, but there was a solemnity behind her eyes. “I will do my best. If you'll excuse me,” she said politely, standing and giving them each a nod, with an especially knowing look at Raynuk, “I think my mother and I have some things to talk about.”

Raia gave her a small wave before turning back to Raynuk. “I guess we do as well, Tētis.” She looked at him nervously but didn’t shy away from him the way she had before. Jaina had spoken of his honor and that was something that Raia had readily understood. Honor was a prized virtue within what had once been her own clan, a piece of them she wanted to carry with her still. Nothing Raynuk had done had given her doubt that he was an honorable man, at least within her own frame of reference for what honor was and meant to her.

The more she thought about it, and the more she’d allowed herself to listen to the flow of the Force, the more right it felt to choose to remain at his side. “But first, I have a question,” she said after a few moments as she worked up the courage to find the words. “Do you think we can just leave? I don’t want to be here anymore. I want to go home.”

OGKL9H5.png

PMs need to be sent to Mirdala if you want a timely response.

Provide anonymous IC feedback here.

Home. That word was not one he had expected to hear from Raia so soon, but then again home for her was no longer an entire planet. He was curious what that word meant to her now, but either way, it was away from the hospital.

About to question where specifically she had wanted to go, he was waylaid by the sensation of another mind looking into his own. But it was not an intrusion, as there was a gentle warmth to it, a growing sensation like a flower blooming in spring. It filled his mind and his senses, as if filling the holes and cracks he was not even aware were there, touching every aspect of his being.

He knew at once that it was Jaina, and for a few brief heartbeats their minds connected on a level deeper than either had experienced before. She had always shied away from the connection, but now had apparently opened herself up to their bond fully, as he had long ago. She would see, feel, and understand what was in his mind.

And then Jaina retreated, having either found what she was looking for, or suddenly remembering the bond worked both ways. And it had, for he had seen and felt the echoes of his own thoughts within her as well. And that, brought a small smile to his face as he returned his attention to Raia.

After looking at her as if he was studying her while his mind processed the question, he stood up and looked around the room that had been his home and his prison for the past few days, and then came back to her face with a smile.

“I think we can do whatever we want, including leaving. Right now. What are they gonna do, keep us here? Try and stop us?” He responded before turning to gather the one or two items that were his within the room.

Commlink in hand, he contacted the Ravenhammer, telling 2-VSH to begin prepping the ship for departure. “We’re on our way. How are the tuk’atas?”

<>

Raynuk nodded and turned off the comm cutting off his chatty droid, looking back at Raia. “While you were with Nurse Smith, I got another message from Sheog -- you remember him right? The big fat slug one we saw on Coruscant? -- There is a new Dark Lord of the Sith, and my… resurrection has reached his ears. He had summoned for me to meet with him, back on Korriban where a new Sith temple stands; I intend to go, and I think it’s time I filled in him and the other Sith about the cult as well.”

He saw building apprehension behind her eyes, and was quick to move to her to quell any growing fears. “You don’t have to even get off the Ravenhammer if you don’t want to, but I would like you to see the temple itself. Most of the Sith should be friendly enough towards you because of my presence, and if anyone even dares make you feel uncomfortable, I will make them regret it, okay?”

She smiled at him, the apprehensive feeling fading into a prudent caution. “I have to get used to them some time if I'm to learn my place among them. I will go where you go and learn what I can.”

Raynuk nodded, “Then let’s get out of here.”

He glanced both ways down the hallway as he exited his room, looking to make sure that none of the nurses and doctors that he had met since he was admitted were in the hallway, and then began making his way towards the hospital’s exit, with Raia right behind him. Their exit from the hospital itself went unnoticed, and they passed into the streets of the city, making their way towards the spaceport where the Ravenhammer sat waiting for their arrival.

At one point, Raynuk turned around to face the hospital again. He had recognized one of the building on the street, having seen it from Jaina’s window during their extended conversations. From here though, he couldn’t quite pick out which window was hers, but instead reached out with the Force to the hospital itself, finding Jaina’s presence by following the bond between them.

Goodbye Jaina, and good luck… I hope you find what you’re looking for. Either way, you know I’ll be here for you. May the Force be with you.

He punctuated his message through the Force with what amounted to a gentle caress before turning back around, finding Raia waiting and looking at him.

“Come on. 2V will be waiting.”

----

The moment Raynuk keyed in the code to lower the ramp to the Ravenhammer, his danger sense spiked, and he was beset upon by and knocked down by a white and a black blur; the two tuk’atas. Vex’aedr was on him nearly instantly, licking and not so gently nudging at the now prone Sith Master. Roe’gall rushed right past him however, instead closing to Raia, who received a single lick and numerous nuzzles of affection.

Once Raynuk had managed to push Vex’aedr off and calm the beast enough to move, he boarded his ship with the tuk’atas and Raia following. What he found however, was the lower level, where cargo and supplies were kept, was utterly trashed. Containers were knocked all over the place, and a few even had large, tuk’ata sized dents. An annoyed look at the tuk’atas confirmed his suspicions, as Vex’aedr lowered his head as if ashamed.

Climbing to the upper level of the Ravenhammer yielded similar results. The numerous pillows that normally were confined to the room he had set aside for the tuk’atas, were now scattered all over the lounge area; one even had somehow been set on top of the table, which had subsequently collapsed and bent slightly. Raynuk could only frown disappointedly, deciding he didn't have the patience or energy to properly deal with it at the moment. Besides, he had to get some answers from 2V about it anyway.

Crossing the lounge, zig-zagging around pillows and strewn furniture along the way, he received his first clue when he got to the door to the cockpit; which was scratched and clawed on this side. His next answer came at finding the door itself was locked. Entering the door code and entering the cockpit, he found 2-VSH sitting in the co-pilot’s chair, as if Raynuk had not just spent nearly a week in the hospital.

< the droid greeted Raynuk, not bothering to turn around to face him.

For a moment Raynuk simply looked at the droid with a look that yelled ‘Seriously bro?’ as his jaw slid from one side to the other and back.

“2V, why is the Ravenhammer look like a tornado hit the inside of it?” Raynuk finally asked with a sigh.

<> 2V responded, holding up its right arm, which was sporting a fresh set of tooth shaped and sized dents and scratches. <>

Raynuk, unseen by the droid, facepalmed, trying really hard not to get overly angry and over exert himself. “Letting them run rampant on the ship while you hide in the cockpit is not what I wanted to happen while I was gone…”

<> 2V retorted.

“It's okay, Master Raynuk,” Raia's voice said suddenly from behind him. “I can help clean up with 2V’s help once we're in hyperspace. I told them not to jump on you anymore until I told them you were healed.”

Raynuk turned and then waved away her concern, “It’s fine. I expected that kind of reaction from them honestly.” He couldn't help but crack a smile as he added, “It’s nice to be reminded that I’m still appreciated and missed sometimes.”

He finally moved to the pilot’s chair and sat down, at which point 2V finally turned to face him.

<>

Now it was Raynuk’s turn to not look at 2V as he answered, “Yes you are. Be grateful Raia offered to help you do it. Now go. I’ll fly us out of here.”

“Besides, they won't eat you. They can't digest you. You're just a big toy to them.” Raia added before heading back to buckle herself and the tuk’atas in for departure.

<> 2V responded, knowing there would be no arguing the point as it stood up to follow Raia. As the droid left the cockpit, Raynuk heard the droid comment to itself.

<>

1fE1uLv.png

I ate a hippo. It was delicious.

After much debating, Ammi's last suggestion won out. They had no idea what they'd find there.

"As seedy as Nar Shaddaa is, the odds of getting involved in some underworld power play or Sith massacre are pretty low," Ammi said with a cheery grin. "You have to watch your back, sure, but it can't be worse than some of the places we've been to. I mean, remember the time our ship got jacked and we were stuck on that outpost for a month." They probably spent more time doing odd jobs from cooking and minor repair work than actually playing music just to get by.

"Not willingly," 4L-T0 sighed, shaking his head. B45-50 quietly nodded in agreement, flexing his fingers. Getting out of that involved stowing away aboard a pirate ship just to get off world, and then tracking down the ship thieves.

"Think those ship thieves still hold a grudge?" Ammi asked, musing thoughtfully about that incident. Some fast talking persuaded the pirates to avoid dumping them out of the air lock. Well, her at and B45-50 at least. A magnetic harpoon saved 4L-T0. They'd talked the pirates into believing their ship was full of rare cargo, which was good. The bad was how the ship was being auctioned off at the thieves' headquarters when they found it, so once they traced it back using a transponder, they ended up in a pitched battle that caused calamity for the thieves, the pirates, and several dealers of illicit starships. They stole the ship back in the confusion.

"I'd worry more about the pirate captain," B45-50 interjected. Not one to go down with the ship, the droids were sure he blamed them for what happened to his ship and crew, never mind their caution against shooting first and asking questions later once they found the thieves' base.

Ammi gave B45-50 a curious look, sure she wore him down with her charms and that he didn't really blame them for the loss of his ship. "Despite what he did to 4L-T0, he was a perfect gentleman," Ammi said. "Besides, how were we supposed to know, well, you know." She spread her hands out, wriggling her fingers to simulate a massive explosion. That twenty-way fire fight made the news across the entire sector, though mercifully the Galaxy GlobeTrotter's name never came up in any official reports. "Well, enough reminiscing about good times," she said, clapping her hands together, giving a bounce. "We've done our good deed and gotten some great PR, even if we spread our coffers a bit thin. We have enough fuel and supplies to make it to Nar Shaddaa, and we can certainly find a venue or three there."

The ship blasted off once more, leaving Corellia behind. Ammi gave the planet a wistful look as it disappeared behind them on the scanner, once more touching her forehead, as if trying to recall something important. Shaking her head, she eased the ship into the hyperspace lane and made the jump.

Forgiveness is a rebirth of hope and a reconstruction of dreams. Once forgiving begins, dreams can be rebuilt. When forgiving is complete, meaning has been extracted from the worst of experiences.

- Beverly Flanigan.

"Mom?"

The world swam in a bleary haze of sleep and morphine-induced stupor. Jaina pressed her palms into her eye sockets and tried again. Blurry in outline, her daughter sat in a chair beside her, one small-boned hand resting on Jaina's uninjured leg. Offering the girl a wistful half-smile, Jaina hurried to remedy the truncated end of their previous conversation.

"Hey, kiddo, look, about what hap-"

"About what happened earlier," Tirzah interjected, "don't worry about it. You're right, there's a lot that I don't understand, and maybe I don't really want to. But there are some things you should know, and that starts with this: I don't want to talk about Dad anymore. Maybe to you, he was the best thing in the galaxy, but to me, he's just the guy that left us here to pick up the pieces and selfishly warped himself out of the galaxy without even making sure I was okay. If that's what Jedi do, I don't think I want to be a Jedi, either."

Steeling herself against the flicker of pain that threatened to jump out of her throat in the form of a rebuttal, Jaina tamped down on her reaction in favor of providing the girl with solemn space. This was Tirzah's confession, and it obviously taxed her emotions to the breaking point.

"I just want to belong somewhere, you know? Somewhere where people aren't always trying to kill each other or ruin each other's lives or destroy the galaxy. That all feels a little too big for me."

The corner of Tirzah's mouth twitched as the slow trickle of her tears resurged, and Jaina wrapped both arms around the girl. "Believe me, I know the feeling," Jaina said hollowly.

For a long while, they sat, mother and daughter, joined in their mutual sorrow, mourning the injustice and death in the galaxy. To Jaina, the sudden pattering of rain against the window made it seem as if the Force itself wept with them.

-----

The next morning, Jaina was formally discharged from the hospital and handed a large case of bacta strips for continued application to the synthskin on her leg. For the most part, she felt a great deal improved, but as she found herself astride the steadily bleating monitors and nutrient drips at Tares' bedside, there was a hollow ache in her soul that would not abate.

Somehow, she could not shake the feeling that she had unfinished business here.

Leaning down, she kissed his forehead softly, and whispered, "I'm sorry I failed you, old friend. I'll be back when I have answers. Don't lose your edge, Vortex."

She turned to rejoin Tirzah in the hallway but left a remorseful lingering glance in her wake.

-----

A dark shape watched the form of Jaina Jade Skywalker disappear down the hallway in oddly satisfied silence, and in the moments before the door swung closed, the shape ducked into the hospital room of Tares Vortex. After a series of quick, efficient scans, the sinister figure tapped out a message to his superiors, glee radiating from every pore.

Clinical trial #3: Success. Result: indefinite incapacitation. Recommend shadow pursuit of Target Alpha. Over.

As quickly as he had appeared, the man dematerialized into utter nothingness, as though he had never truly been there.

-----

Minutes later, the silvery shape of the Ferro Re disappeared from Corellia's orbit, without a thought to the chaos of the Solaris Industries Board Meeting that would undoubtedly ensue the following morning once they discovered their prototype missing.

53bzzl2.png

Everything in the Tyrena medical facility proceeded like any other day. With the discharge of Jaina Jade Skywalker and Mr. Montar, very little changed. The files were still kept and maintained. The floors were cleaned. More patients were discharged, including the victims of the CoreSec HQ terrorist attack. Doctors and Nurses plodded along with their usual lives and nothing significant or unusual happened.

Dr. Herrus Janspear and the Selonian Nurse, Kano Orivec, were of particular note, due to their close interaction with the patients in question. But their noteworthy interactions seemed to run out there. All of the officials regarded them as more of the rank-in-file. They were card-carrying medical professionals and would thus pass any inspection given to them. Yet, both Janspear and Orivec made discreet data drop-offs with the same procedure. Each one of them was subtle with their examinations - or in the case of Janspear, not so subtle - and wrote notes about their patient's diagnoses. These notes were then processed through their datapads, digitally signed and authenticated by them, copied three times, and sent to their usual locations. As was the medical procedure, the data went to all approved channels. But the third copy of their notes and records went to another place. Janspear and Orivec typed a special codeword into their datapads and the third copy of their notes was sent to an exterior hub. This hub transferred the digital information through an encrypted channel to several locations.

The codeword was: PARAGON

IdarahSig.png

The rays of the sinking sun reflected off the billowing clouds, painting the western sky in brilliant shades of red and orange. The fiery sphere was just reaching the top of the Coronet skyline as Joelle made her way from the eastern suburbs into the woodlands on the outskirts of the city. It was hard to believe that it had been only a day and a half since her abrupt introduction to Jedi Knight Roene Givrah; so much had happened in those intervening hours! As she hurried to the meadow, she hoped she wasn't too late for their rendezvous. After all, regardless of her abilities or what her future might hold, (though she was becoming more and more certain that would indeed include Force training) she had confidence he could help her to understand some of those events….

The walk from the spaceport the morning before had given Joelle time to process her morning, which was most assuredly needed, especially with the addition of her experience in meeting the Jedi Knight. However, there were times when "more time to process" started to become too much of a good thing for her, and this was assuredly one of them. By the time she reached her family's neighborhood, she had begun to second guess the idea of having Force-sensitivity, let alone the decision to explore the possibility of being trained to use it. After all, at no point in time during their meeting had Jedi Givrah actually said anything about recognizing potential in her. Nor had she herself mentioned her new-found belief, for that matter. In fact, she had done all in her power to avoid mentioning the possibility. For all she knew, the Jedi thought she was needing healing of some disease, not interested in being trained!

She had thought back over the conversation, especially her own word choices. Let's see…. A major aspect of my life that I was hoping the Jedi might give me advice about…. Yep, that definitely could have had more interpretations than "I think I might be Force-sensitive!"

Fortunately, when she had arrived at the K'smet's modest two story duracrete domicile in the eastern Coronet suburbs, her parents had been home. She'd found them both in their shared office, engrossed in preparations for their upcoming courses. However, upon seeing Joelle's conflicted expression, they had given her their full attention.

Due mainly to her mindset, but also to her general personality, it had taken Joelle some time to share the morning's events. Being familiar with her method of processing, her parents mostly allowed her to explain things as came naturally, interrupting as little as possible to ask for clarification. Finally, after nearly an hour had passed, Joelle had concluded by saying, "And that's about it. The Jedi Knight went off to the hospital, while I came here to tell you about everything, and say goodbye. I mean, just in case it turns out he says I am Force-Sensitive and he's willing to train me, that is."

Not surprisingly, her parents were supportive of her plans. However, they had also offered a few words of caution. "Remember, Joelle," her father said, "Force-users these days are in greater danger than ever before." Her mother agreed, "Yes. While it seems that the general bounty has been lifted, the new Imperial Remnant just recently made their ultimatum to the Sith. It's hard to say how the Jedi will react to such a thing, or how exactly the Sith might then counter."

Picking the thread of parental concern back up, Jaysun K'smet had continued, "There's also the commitment involved. If you begin training as a Jedi, you know that will mean giving up many things, including us, in some ways. From what I have heard, the Jedi feelings concerning attachment may be slightly less strong than they were in the days before the Empire, but the Order will always come first!"

"Yes, Dad, I know," Joelle had replied, "but the two of you have always encouraged me to do everything I can to help others. If I have the ability to get Force training--" Suddenly, she'd been cut off by a strong, yet strangely muted, sensation of mental anguish.

Of course, what she'd seen next was one of those things she most wanted to discuss with Jedi Givrah….

xDS3U7I.jpg

Continuing the J.Net Revival in 2017

Pittsburgh Champions

Steelers: 6 Time Super Bowl Champs

Penguins: 5 Time Stanley Cup Champs

Someday the Pirates will REALLY get their act together...

Roene’s weary mind rest within the infinite bounds of meditation. Deep breaths of serene measure reverberated through his chest and resonated through the force. Soft waves of lapping azure gleamed at the foot of the stump that he sat upon. Peaceful flows of chilled evening wind brushed at the tufts of white hair that clung to his face, drying the anxious sweat that lingered on his brow. Trees whispered with telling thoughts of what the morning would bring. Fauna chattered and chirped with a symphony of daily gossip. Flora swayed with idle care. Clouds walked blissfully in the sky with little thought to those below. And, as the brilliant color of sunset crossed the horizon, pastels of rose and purple drifted into a deep indigo.

The meadow was quiet and void of life. So, Joelle’s approach was hard not to notice. The Cerean smiled but tempered his expression with thoughts of his recent experiences. He figured she may have questions about current events. And for that, he would do his best to answer. He did need to make haste toward Ossus and eventually Cerea to solve the mystery that plagued his people. But Roene was told that the issue was not lethal and that he would have time to find a solution. It didn’t shake the nervous energy that billowed beneath the surface of the seemingly calm Cerean. Though, it did help ease his imbalance.

“Hello, Joelle. Sorry again for my troubles seeing you. I was held up in Tyrena.” Roene said, patient eyes belying the woes that hung on his own thoughts. “I sense that you have questions. I will do my best to answer whatever it is you need to ask. What would you like to hear first?”

NvFYuwm.png

• 2 weeks later...

As Joelle neared the meadow, she focused her thoughts on prioritizing her concerns. The nearer she got, the more certain she was that the Jedi was there waiting for her, though she wasn't entirely sure why. Just as some of her other experiences in the last two days, this feeling was slightly different from others with which she was more familiar. It wasn't quite like her normal intuitive sensation, but it also wasn't the same as when Jedi Givrah had sent her the mental messages. (And hadn't the first of those been startling to get yesterday!) This sensation, though, was somewhere in between -- more along the lines that she could more and more strongly sense him there waiting for her. So, it was no surprise when she broke through the tree line and saw him sitting on a stump beside the stream.

Upon reaching him, Joelle returned the Jedi's greeting, "Hello, Jedi Givrah. Don't worry about the delay. It gave me the opportunity to join in the clean up efforts after the attack yesterday afternoon. Honestly, I probably would have felt guilty leaving without helping a bit, so really that part worked out.

"As far as my questions, yes, I have a few! More now than ever before, about so very many topics…. Before we talk more about the attack, or even what had been my original concern, though, there's something else that has been bothering me even more: Have you heard anything about the recent events on Carida? There was a holonet report yesterday morning, which was more than a little disturbing!"

Roene’s expression darkened. “Yes. As I was contending with matters in Tyrena, I heard that the Sith struck a huge blow against the Remnant. Their fleet was decimated, along with that of the Remnant forces. And a large monstrosity was let loose, causing havoc among the common folk.” Roene cleared his throat a little and gazed out into the deep indigo sky.

“The Sith have proven that they will not bow to Remnant threats. And while this is hardly unusual, the power they’ve mustered is very troubling.”

“Oh! I have to admit, that wasn’t the aspect of the report I was referring to.” Joelle paused for a moment, reflecting on what he had said. “Yes, I can see that being a definite cause for concern. I’m guessing the Jedi Order will be looking into where they got their resources?

“However, I was a bit preoccupied by the ultimatum the Remnant had issued,” she continued, addressing the aspect of the holonet broadcast that had been bothering her since she had first seen it, “and the fact it seemed as though the Jedi on the planet were reacting rather harshly and violently. I am certainly not a proponent of the Sith teachings, and I understand the need to keep them in check. The actions I saw taken against them, though, seemed to be almost more in keeping with their philosophy than those I associate with the Jedi.”

“Interesting,” Roene interjected. “ I believe I caught part of the Remnant transmission as well. The Remnant leader’s strategy is extreme, but I have seen that mentality before. She is afraid. And fear, like other powerful emotions, can color one’s interpretation and actions. As to the transmission that came after; the one made by a more sinister element. I can only assume that that was the Sith’s answer. Any more information would be difficult to glean given the circumstances.”

“True enough,” Joelle agreed. “That broadcast did seem as though it was coming from the Sith, so I suppose it could have been made to look as if the Jedi were being more violent than they actually were. After all, from what I’ve been taught, they are masters of manipulation!”

Roene nodded thoughtfully. “That said, the Jedi you saw, was a Jedi Knight that I am familiar with.

Her name is Kyrie and she is a Jedi Exorcist. Her tactics are a bit extreme and her philosophy is more that of a sword than a shield. But she thinks her intentions are proper and that she fights for the right reasons. Which, although war is hardly an appropriate answer, would explain why she is doing what she is doing.” Roene said, remembering the ceremony he performed on Tython, and the knighting of Kyrie at his hand. Was it too presumptuous? Was it too soon?

No. Roene was convinced that Kyrie’s knighting had been appropriate. Exorcists always walked the razor’s edge of the force and would look as if they had turned their back on the Order. It was what made their involvement in the Mandalorian Wars all those years ago look like a betrayal.

“Is there anything else you wish to know?”

“Oh, yes, definitely!” Even having spent the time thinking through the priority of subjects to discuss, Joelle debated for a moment. Which should I discuss with him next? Yesterday’s attack, or wondering about my Force-sensitivity? “Um, just a minute, please…. I thought I’d had this all worked out, but I’m second guessing myself.” The attack would probably be more of a fact-based discussion, and he might not know anything more than I do. Not to mention that no matter what it’s bound to be faster, so let’s get that out of the way. “Well, I do wonder if you have any insights into the attack here yesterday? I overheard some people yesterday saying something about Faust being involved, but that seems impossible!”

xDS3U7I.jpg

Pittsburgh Champions

"I do, but before I tell you, I need to make sure you are ready to go. I am needed elsewhere and must make haste as soon as possible. I can tell you on the way to the star port. Or, if you’d prefer to stay, that is fine too. Either way, I will inform you on the road."

Roene slowly adjusted his robes as he stepped off the stump and started a slow pace toward his destination, shaking the kinks out of his legs and awaiting Joelle to pick up the pace behind him. The Cerean sent a small notification to Tyue as he walked, informing the tiny Garral pup to await them at the port and to yip three times when Roene came into visual range. It would inform the Jedi that his animal companion was nearby and help them find each other. The Garral’s senses were more alert than Roene’s so it helped both in the end.

The Cerean’s thoughts drifted on the side of her question and muddled a bit when concerning his actions in Tyrena. He waited and took a few deep breaths before continuing his speech. His pace remained the same and at times even accelerated as he spoke, indicating that he was probably used to this manner of speaking.

“Impossible, maybe, but it’s the truth. I felt something sinister at the site. Now, if this really is Faust or just a manifestation of him, I am unsure. I didn’t know him personally. All I know is that it is galactic knowledge that the Sith Master perished on Coruscant along with two prodigious masters of the Jedi Order.” Roene stated, slowly maneuvering around a large boulder and continuing toward the city limits.

“But, it is no use worrying about that. There are many other things on the horizon to process as we go. The Jedi will be needed to confront the turmoil that is gripping the galaxy. And, although I am pacifistic myself, even I acknowledge when a careful, deliberate hand is needed to resolve an issue.”

Roene’s head was a whir with many things. He narrowly avoided a low hanging branch as it grazed the cone of his head and then continued through the underbrush.

“As to your second question, the force exists in all things. There are many schools of thought on how it exists. But, ultimately, to see if someone is sensitive, you have many options at your disposal.” Roene said. He coughed in the chilly evening air and continued into the velvety dark toward the twinkle of Coronet’s many lights. “You can take a blood test and measure what are called ‘midichlorians’. Supposedly, the more midichlorians one has, the more sensitive one is.” Roene’s face took on a conflicted air. “But, if you’re like me, you look in someone’s mind and see how they react to the physical world. If one is force sensitive, even unconsciously, they observe the world differently than others do.”

By the time Roene was finished talking, the two of them had arrived at Coronet’s outer wall. Not stopping to admire the architecture, the Cerean kept walking and assumed that Joelle was following behind.

NvFYuwm.png

As Jedi Roene rose and prepared to set off, Joelle replied a murmured affirmative, "That's fine," in answer to his statement concerning the need to head toward the spaceport while continuing their discussion. Rising from the log where she had been seated herself during the conversation and shouldering the pack she had set on the ground nearby, she added with a bit more volume, "I don't want to delay you further, but whether I'll be accompanying you off planet will depend on the answer to another question."

Joelle walked alongside the Jedi as he headed back through the woods toward Coronet. She easily kept up with his pace while quietly waiting for his answer to her question about the possible role of Faust in the previous day's attack on CoreSec HQ. When he confirmed that the Sith Master had indeed had a hand in things somehow, she felt a shiver of dread run up her spine. However, it only served to strengthen her resolve to be trained as a Jedi if it was found she had the ability. This was compounded when he commented on the need for the Order to take action to help rectify things.

Then the Knight changed topics: “As to your second question, the force exists in all things. There are many schools of thought on how it exists. But, ultimately, to see if someone is sensitive, you have many options at your disposal. You can take a blood test and measure what are called ‘midichlorians’. Supposedly, the more midichlorians one has, the more sensitive one is. But, if you’re like me, you look in someone’s mind and see how they react to the physical world. If one is force sensitive, even unconsciously, they observe the world differently than others do.”

Taken aback, Joelle stopped short for a moment, feeling her jaw slightly slacken and eyes widen. "Wait, what?!?" Realizing quickly Jedi Roene was not going to stop himself, even after firing that proton torpedo of information that somewhat answered the question she hadn't even yet asked him, she hurriedly began walking again to catch back up just before he entered the city. "How did you even know I wanted to know about Force-sensitivity?" she asked incredulously.

xDS3U7I.jpg

Pittsburgh Champions

The Cerean halted his momentum; feet wet and clammy on the late evening grass and stared at the glittering night sky. Thousands upon thousands of aliens looked at that sky. Though different bodies of light looked back, and different aliens shared many different things, all of them looked to the stars for one reason or another.

At present, the only reason Roene looked at them, was because he was at a loss for what to say. His mind had wandered to the different stressors that afflicted him and he hadn’t realized that he spoke out of turn. When Joelle turned to him, skepticism in her eyes, the Cerean became aware of his terrible penchant for absent-mindedness. Always a guide and presence in the force, Roene failed to understand that he could hear thoughts around him like buzzing flies. Surface thoughts were very prone to draw his attention and enter his mind in episodes of unbidden curiosity.

That, coupled with his tendency for blunt speech, made the art of conversing very difficult. Roene sighed lightly and turned to look at Joelle before continuing. “... I didn’t hear that out loud, did I?” He asked, a little embarrassed, but mostly befuddled.

The Jedi’s obvious confusion and embarrassment countered a bit of Joelle’s shock. The phrasing of his question did even more so, as she realized that he must have been using some type of Force power without even realizing it. She was pretty sure she could relate to that!

“No, sir, I don’t believe you did,” she replied with a small smile. I guess it does make sense that he’d be able to sense people’s thoughts since he can project his own directly into other’s minds.

Roene smiled lightly. “I do try to ask before I probe into anyone’s mind, especially if I am going to be looking for thoughts or sensations that aren’t immediately on the surface.”

But, just as the darkest side of the night came to the fore, Roene’s thoughts muddled. His expression soured for a moment and his thoughts drifted to those suffering on his home planet. A problem that seemed to arrive on the heels of multiple attacks and moments of chaos all around the galaxy. He couldn’t tell what was going on or why, but Roene felt as if the galaxy as a whole was preparing for something very dangerous.

“As for where we are headed, I would like to take you to Ossus with me. There I hope to find Grandmaster Kirlocca and discuss the Cerean plague with him and ask his advice on how to proceed.” Roene paused, his conflicted thoughts subsiding for a moment, and looked at Joelle.

“I know you didn’t ask that. But I figure it would save on time if you knew where we were going.” Roene’s voice was calm and his brogue was smooth. He bowed slightly to her and indicated that they should keep going if they are to make the next shuttle off-world.

“That’s fine, the topic would have come up eventually,” Joelle reassured him, following his lead and starting back toward the city. “And, honestly, now that I understand your powers better, you don’t have to explain when you answer questions I don’t yet ask.

“Before we head to Ossus, though, I do have one last clarifying question. Forgive me for seeming obtuse, but I want to make sure we’re understanding one another completely before I leave with you. You said that you can often sense if someone is Force-sensitive by seeing how they interact with the physical world. That nearly answered my original question,” she paused, comfortable enough after this interaction to give the Jedi a slightly teasing grin, “you know, the one I didn’t actually ask? But it didn’t fully. Anyway, to save time myself at this point I’ll just go ahead and ask this bluntly: Do you believe I am?”

“Yes,” Roene said, without pause. “The way you analyze things is beyond that of normal recognition. When you look at a tree, a bush, an animal, or anything else, you see something that most others don’t see. You see the life inside the tree and the link between the tree and all of the other things you see. And that, as per my observations, is a subconscious reaction. And, while you cannot analyze your subconscious unless you are aware of it, it is a simple thing for a Jedi to do.”

Roene continued walking and talking like none of it seemed to register with him. Oration seemed something of a hobby and having someone to talk to was all the more fulfilling.

“When your curiosity first piqued, back when we first met, I asked if I could show you an image in your mind. It was, at that point, that I noticed a few subconscious triggers and events that you had, indicating that you did possess force sensitivity. Visions of future events, feelings and emotional moments that may have gone out of hand, are not entirely strange in the lives of Force users. I, in fact, accidentally sent my grandmother’s hair on fire. It was very dangerous, but very funny afterward.”

Roene’s speech carried them all the way to the front door to the starport where he bowed and indicated that Joelle lead the way. Tyue barked a little and joined Roene by his side. The Garral pup looked up at Joelle inquisitively but remained quiet for the moment.

NvFYuwm.png

• 2 weeks later...

At the Jedi's direction, Joelle proceeded him into the spaceport. Almost immediately, though, she was distracted by the arrival of his young canine companion.

"Well, hello, little one!" she greeted the pup, holding her hand out for him to sniff as they walked, should he so desire. Directing her attention back to Jedi Roene, she continued, "He seems quite calm, especially with all of the repulsor activity around. You must have him well-trained already."

The Garral lent credence to her observation as he following between the two larger beings, thoroughly smelling her offered hand. After completing his investigation, he gave her a gentle lick and let out a soft yip indicating his acceptance of her joining his master.

"Thank you, I'm glad to have your approval," Joelle responded, smiling down at him.

The party continued briskly through the spaceport until reaching the centrally located ticket counter where Joelle and Roene split the cost of a medium-sized cabin compartment on the next passenger transport to Ossus. Boarding was scheduled in about half a hour. Fortunately, this allowed them to slow their pace a bit, as their route to the pad holding the transport was a bit less direct. At one point while checking the monitors to ensure they were headed in the right direction, a holonet scrawl caught Joelle's attention: SUSPECTED PLAGUE: CORUSCANT UNDER EMERGENCY QUARANTINE - TRAVEL MUST BE APPROVED BY DEPT. OF GALACTIC HEALTH

For the second time within the span of less than an hour, Joelle was stopped by surprise. "Jedi Roene!" she called out, pointing to the screen. "Do you think this could be related to what's happening on Cerea?"

xDS3U7I.jpg

Pittsburgh Champions

Roene smiled at the exchange between Joelle and Tyue. The subtle machinations that stood behind his Animal Companion’s jovial introduction, echoed through the Cerean’s mind. The feeling of approval evinced by Tyue was warm and visceral. Just standing near Joelle gave the Garral a feeling of comfort, which was infinitely more telling than simple validation. Animals possessed an uncanny ability to detect conflict or tension. And the honest praise that Tyue gave the budding Jedi hopeful, erased any doubt that Roene had about his future with Ms. Kismet.

With their flight delayed, Roene thought the time a valuable respite to muse on what was to come. But his newfound comrade noticed something that Roene hadn’t been looking for. A monitor stood out nearby, a thumb in the crowd of miscellany. The bulletin was bright and foreboding. It appeared that plague was striking on the Core World as well. But no other details could be gleaned from the announcement. Two plagues? What are the odds?

Could they be related?

As if echoing his sentiment, Joelle asked the very same question, looking to him for answers. But he didn’t have any. Presumption led him to think it was an omen. But that conclusion was derived from historical and mythical trends. Typically, plague, famine, and mass extinctions led to worse things down the line. Roene’s brow furrowed and worry affected the wrinkled corners of his eyes. “I… Don’t know,” Roene said, looking to Joelle with soft reassurance.

“Please, calm yourself,” Roene asked, sitting on a nearby cushion and breathing deeply. “I know not if these events are related. In fact, I’m not sure anyone knows other than the figure or figures that work behind the scenes. These are troubling times. We mustn’t exacerbate stress by creating a commotion. If we are capable of solving the problems ahead, we will rise to meet them. No use will be gained from worrying about them here. We have some time. Perhaps you would like to meditate?”

The Cerean closed his eyes and allowed the energy of Corellia to wash over him. The concern he felt for his own family magnified within the sea of force that greeted him, and tickled the ducts of his eyes, threatening to tear his veil of vigilance away. “We must make haste to Ossus. Events are happening fast and we need to be ready.”

NvFYuwm.png

• 2 weeks later...

With the Jedi's admonition to be calm, Joelle realized that, even without allowing the word plague to cross her lips, some of her concern must have found its way into her tone. She took a few deep breaths as he sat and continued sharing his thoughts.

"Yes, sir. I didn't mean to risk causing panic. I suppose part of becoming a Jedi will be learning to better control my emotions, rather than allowing them to slip out to possibly affect others?" she replied as she sat beside him. She then followed his example, closing her eyes and continuing to take deep, controlled breaths.

Meditation was a new activity for her. As she sat and concentrated on her breathing, she began to sense a type of current running around and through her. She tried to focus on it more closely, recognizing that this must be at least related to the Force. Unfortunately, in doing that she unconsciously held her breath. That left her gasping, breaking her concentration completely, so she had to start all over again.

xDS3U7I.jpg

Pittsburgh Champions

Cool transparent hands reached out through the force, touching the crown of Joelle's forehead and the tops of her shoulders. The hand at her head was a balm to her frantic thoughts, centering them and aiding with her meditation. The hands at her shoulders tugged gently at her frame, instructing her to follow. Easy steps and careful guidance led her mind to the energy she sought; the energy that proved elusive to her and tried to evade her casual probing. Each moment, each breath, and each ‘step’ led further into Joelle’s mind, into the very center of her focus and consciousness. Each step brought her closer to a sound that emanated from deep within and all around her. A sound that grew into the roar of a powerful river at every advance.

It was a terrible thing, but simultaneously graceful and majestic. It was a mighty azure blue spirit that surrounded her with conflicting feelings of warm comfort and cold uncertainty. Different streams and tributaries broke off from the flow that surrounded them, but gentle guidance helped lead her to the edge of the mighty river and feel the water slip between her fingers.

This, Ms. Kismet, is the force. It manifests differently to everyone, and I would hazard a guess that this interpretation is affected by my own.

I have always seen the force as a mighty river. The Jedi are the ferry men and women that channel the spiritual powers of the galaxy to achieve their ends. While the Sith are fallen trees or rocks inside the river that twist and divide the force's flow. But, both are natural. The Sith are a natural reflection of us. We both have emotions, we both have thoughts and we both have fears. The challenge for a Jedi is to not focus on things that root us to what makes us who we are, to be objective and rise above trivial needs. Unfortunately, for most, this is nigh impossible. One cannot simply dismiss all that they are and thus some fall deep into the dark side of the force, or the darker side of themselves.

The Force is with all living things; planets, people, animals, plants. Everything. No one truly understands everything about the force and, truth be told, no one ever will. Anyone who insists they do is severely limiting themselves and ignoring the biggest appeal to being a force user. And that is the pursuit of understanding. Much like life, mastering the force is a never ending trek towards understanding and knowledge. At least, that's what I see.

Also like life, choice plays a large role in the force. What you do with it strongly affects who you are and who you will become. Those that choose to twist the fabric of creation will see it twist them in turn. Those that simply let it flow through them may sacrifice power, but will remain wholly who and what they are.

I may not tell you all I have to tell right now. I feel the end to our time on Corellia draws near. But I wish to pass a couple of things to you; things, I’m afraid, I was not able to pass to Kyrie. We are just as capable of becoming Sith as the Sith are capable of becoming Jedi. And all Sith are not inherently evil. You may ask, why do I think all Sith aren't inherently evil when they do such terrible things? For that, I offer an example, I point you to natural disasters. Volcanoes, Tornadoes, ice storms, etc. Are they evil? No? They cause a great deal of damage and leave destruction in their wake. Why aren’t they considered evil? Because evil is a label. It is a construct and one that we must regard before ultimately shoving all Sith into an inescapable antagonist role. Some Sith are men and women that were left to wander alone, abandoned to a life of scorn and suffering. They turned to the Sith because it was all they had. Are they wrong? No. We are the guardians of peace in the galaxy. But that doesn’t mean we are conquering kings or crusading knights fighting to purge the galaxy of the Sith. It also means we aren't the all-knowing, all-seeing hands of ultimate morality either. Because, even Jedi make mistakes.

If they rise up and threaten galactic peace, we will answer. But we will not hunt them down. It is not our job. It is not who we are, or who we should aspire to be.

Roene let up, slowly pulling Joelle back to the star port as their shuttle prepped for take-off. When his padawan was fully aware of her surroundings, the Cerean helped her and Tyue on board. And the trio headed off on their way to Ossus with little delay and much on their mind.

NvFYuwm.png

• 2 weeks later...

The second time she gathered her concentration and eased into the pattern of meditation, she found the gentle presence of her new Master there to greet her. With his guidance, she was able to hold her focus to complete the mental journey into the depths of her own mind. As they neared their destination, though, she began to realize things were slightly different this time. The current she had sensed before was still there, but it seemed to have changed in form slightly. She was also more and more thankful he was there with her the closer they got. The power of the Force was far stronger than she had imagined. When she reached into it, she wasn't entirely sure if she wouldn't have been carried away in it without him keeping her attention focused.

"A river, Master Roene? That almost feels right, yet somehow not quite what I was sensing before…. That current felt more like the air or wind, all around me instead of somewhat limited to one dimension."

This, Ms. K'smet, is the force. It manifests differently to everyone, and I would hazard a guess that this interpretation is affected by my own. 

"Ah, yes, I had already recognized that the current had to be at least related to the Force. If the representation of it can vary, it would be logical for your perspective to influence what I see with you guiding me."

From this point, Joelle did her best to quiet her own thoughts as the Jedi Knight shared his knowledge and perspective of the Force, the Jedi, and the Sith. Instead, she concentrated on what he was saying, making mental notes to reflect upon and ask questions about later. She had, after all, had enough experience with class lectures during her academic career to recognize a teacher being in the middle of one, even if it was one-on-one!

When the lesson concluded, Joelle mentally followed her Master back to the surface of her mind. The return to the physical world was a bit jarring at first; meditation had been much quieter and involved far different senses! However, just as he had helped her find her way on their mental journey, Master Roene assisted her in regaining her equilibrium and make her way onto the shuttle transport.

xDS3U7I.jpg

Pittsburgh Champions

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As they began their approach Skye pointed out a teardrop shaped lake. “That’s our destination. There’s a log cabin on the tip of the teardrop. That is where we’re going.” She glanced at Jackson before sending off a coded message. As she circled Serenity around the lake, he would see that there were only a couple of dwellings around the lake, though the cabin she had spoken of was quite isolated compared to the others. Her Padawan would get a surprise when it came to the cabin. It looked only to be a small dwelling although beneath the ground was where the rest of the complex was built. After several attacks from various crime organisations and Sith Masters - Faust and Geki to name but two - the Organa’s had decided that they would extend underground. The code she had sent off had opened the underground hanger to which she now headed. Once Serenity touched down and she’d gone through all the post flight checks, Skye led the way out. At this moment in time her’s was the only ship there. There was room for two other ships of similar size. She figured that her Mother must have gone to the KNM Resort again.  

Turning to her Padawan she added, “While we’re here make yourself at home. I’ll show you to your room and then we can go above ground to the lake. It’s great for meditating.” She gave Jackson a quick tour, showing him to his room, the living area, the interactive training room and gym (which consisted of a full level) and a medical and hydroponics room. “We built this underground complex because of the attacks Corellia survived. I’ve done a lot of training here. Make yourself comfortable and when you’re ready meet me out at the lake. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask one of the droids or myself.”

Edited by Skye Organa

SkyeOrgana.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jackson nodded and followed along as Skye toured him around the complex, mostly still speechless from the amount of green and plantlife displayed on their way into the hangar from orbit. Plus there was even more in the underground area than there was on the ship, from his assigned room to the gym, and even a much larger hydroponics area. It was something he would have expected to find a moderately sized gang operating out of back on Coruscant, and he would be staying there for... for however long it took. The boy realized shortly after unpacking his meager belongings that he had never actually asked what they would be doing after they had made landfall, or how long they would be staying. They did still have to deal with whoever Faust was, he supposed, though whether he would be able or even asked to help still remained to be seen. It would be a shame to not use the new toys he had been working on over the past few days.

With that in mind the young Padawan wandered his way through the complex until he managed to find his way to the nearest exit, where he floated towards the lake in a daze. It had all been so beautiful and overwhelming when he was just watching in the ship, but now that he was there in person, on the ground, it was just... so much more. And the air; it was so clean and fresh, pleasant to the senses event. It almost made him a little lightheaded with how much easier he could breath there than on Coruscant, or even on a ship, regardless of how well the air filters were running. Everything was so different that he almost missed it when he passed by his tutor.

"I'm here." He slowly announced, after backtracking a few steps and giving an awkward bow. 

Skye quietly observed her Padawan as he marvelled at his surroundings.  The Jedi Master's voice was soft, gentle as she spoke, "You don't have to stand on ceremony with me when it is just the two of us." She smiled then continued, "There is so much life here.  You will have noticed the difference between here and Coruscant. Here you will feel the Living Force easier, feel the energy field that is the Force, feel it surrounding you, flowing around and through you. Feel it in the life forms, between them, you and I. The Living Force teaches us to focus on the now, to focus on your surroundings. I brought you here for training because it will broaden your senses. Sometimes on Coruscant you can feel stifled. It can be and often is chaotic with so many different emotions flowing through all manner of beings. You already know to trust your feelings, your instincts. I would like you to open yourself up to the Living Force. Let it guide you."

She fell silent for a moment, letting her Padawan absorb what she had said. "When you are ready, close your eyes and open your senses. Tell me what you feel." 

It was only moments after she had given Jackson his task when it hit her. She swayed a moment before her knees gave way, the Jedi Healer finding herself on the ground. Waves of pain, a horrible sense of death and destruction on a major scale. A trillion voices crying out before being silenced. Skye gasped in breaths as if she was having trouble breathing. Once the initial horror had passed and she was able to come back to herself, the Healer looked at her Padawan, hoping that he didn't feel as big of a backlash as she had since she'd asked him to open himself up to the Force. "I fear something dreadful has happened."

SkyeOrgana.jpg

When Jackson spread his metaphysical feelers, really opened himself to try to connect with the universe around him, it was bliss. It was... not easy, exactly, but natural in a sense. It felt like the more he opened his senses the more he was pulled into everything, and he felt himself rocking to the rhythm of the life surrounding himself. At the height of his expansion he even felt something like a strong breeze, or... no, no it was more like a gust, perhaps. Or even a shockwave.

Not even another moment had passed before the rug was pulled out from under his feet, then, sending him tumbling down deep into the abyssal blackness he stood above. All at once his physical and force senses were buffeted by horrors that previously lied unknown to the Padawan. The air in his lungs, clean and healthy, turned into a vile and heavy mass that he couldn't help but choke on. The pleasant breeze turned savage in an instant and stabbed into his every nerve, doubling him over and sending him to the ground. Even the food he had consumed earlier that day had rotted inside of him, bloating and squirming inside of his body until it had freed itself onto the grass between his hands. It was only then that he noticed he could no longer see, and that the only sounds he could hear were horrifying grinding, screeching, and gurgling noises that submerged him in a frigid slime.

When he finally came to, Jackson found himself gasping for air and shivering on the ground. Slowly everything started to come back, only muted and colorless. A vibrant and thriving world having turned into a barren landscape of ash, for all he could tell any more.

Once she had finally gotten her breath back, Skye slowly got to her feet. It took a bit to keep steady at first as she still felt unbalanced. Whatever had happened it was on a large scale and it was devastating.  She closed the gap between herself and her Padawan, resting her hand upon his shoulder to help ground him. "That had to be tough on you. It's hard enough on a seasoned Jedi Master, but you're still beginning." Her voice was gentle, soothing. It would take time to get over this.  

"I think we better head back inside, Jackson. We'll check the holonet for what has happened." Once he was ready, she led the way back inside, leading her Padawan to the living room where she turned on the large holonet screen. As they had walked in she had signalled for Flitter and I-Nine to join them there. Every channel showed the destruction of Coruscant and the subsequent attacks by the Mandalorian's. The images were just as devastating as Skye had surmised. She was shocked that it was Coruscant. The Healer wondered how in the galaxy had it happened. It was at that moment that I-Nine spoke up as if answering her unasked question. "Master Skye. The reports are all saying that it was Faust." The droid's words were followed by reporters on the holonet stating the diabolical mastermind behind this atrocity was indeed Vladmir Faust. There seemed to be no end to his scheming and lust for destruction. 

SkyeOrgana.jpg

• 2 months later...

Jackson followed his mentor in a daze, stumbling over his own footsteps before starting to pinch and pull at his skin in confusion. He could hardly feel his own skin. He could hardly feel anything, in fact: from his own pinches, to the clothing on his body; even the wind brushing through his hair felt... unusually cold. Detached. That spark of life just wasn't there anymore.

"Hwhath... hmmh, what do we do now?" He asked quietly. It was difficult to speak, at first. Jackson felt like his tongue had swollen up, almost; not badly, or even detrimentally, but noticeably. It was enough to slur his first few words before he realized what was happening.

An slight frown creased his lips as Bloome tried shaking off his sluggish daze, only to find that his efforts were futile. He would have to check in with the medbay later to see if he had hit his head harder than he thought. It wouldn't do to hinder his efforts at meditation or the forms for any longer than was absolutely necessary. He still needed to fine-tune his force control before... before what? He couldn't remember anymore. There was definitely a reason he was in a hurry before; but what was it? Some sort of feeling, he remembered; a sort of pressure that had built up in the back of his head.

Perhaps, whatever it was that was causing it, had already passed? That was possible. Probably even, considering that... wait, Coruscant?

Jackson's eyes blinked slowly as he tuned back into the world around him, and he focused his tattered attention on the holofeed.

Someone had... stolen the moon? And then they used it to scrape a chunk off of Coruscant. He had lived there, under those top layers of the ecumenopolis. That had been his home, and in some ways he still saw it as where he really belonged: crawling through the undercity and scrounging for scraps of... well, of scrap.

It was strange, then, that he just couldn't bring himself to feel much about it. It could have just been the shock setting in, but he had been in shock before. He knew what that felt like; what it did to his body. This was just... nothing. A numbness unlike any sort of breakdown he had ever personally experienced. Jackson had seen others go through something similar in the past; usually following intense emotional or mental trauma. It was a common enough sight down below.

But he hadn't gone through anything like that himself, and certainly not recently. He and Skye had just spent the day touring around and doing some meditation so far. Even thinking back to when he had noticed he was numb, Jackson couldn't think of anything. He had tried meditating for a little bit, as he was instructed, but before he could really do anything they were already on their way back to the estate. It was strange, to say the least. It felt like he was missing something.

"Hey," he started slowly, brows furrowed in thought. "Well... no. No, nevermind." Jackson shook his head. He was simply being paranoid. He was probably just numb because the sudden exposure to all the local flora had his body in a weird state. It fit the timeline almost exactly, so that must have been it.

"Hwhath... hmmh, what do we do now?"

Skye was in a state of shock herself, her eyes attempting to focus on the screens in front of them, trying to take it all in but the scale of destruction of not only Coruscant but the Alliance base that was on the moon as well. So many lives just blown out of existence by that madman. The backlash through the Force was just as devastating as if they were there. A numbing sensation wanted to cloud her mind though she knew she had to concentrate for a while longer before she could rest. Jackson's voice brought her attention back to him. "First off... we recover. Neither of us would do any good with not being able to function at our best. Then we find out where we can assist. Make yourself comfortable." The Jedi Master indicated to the various lounges around the room. She was still feeling unbalanced and could see that her Padawan was having difficulties as well. "Flitter... run full spectrum scans and monitor both of us for the next few hours. I-Nine, could you bring in some hot drinks. I'll have green tea... Jackson?" She turned to the young man, "What would you prefer? Caffa, tea, cocoa? We both need to relax and let the Force soothe our minds after that onslaught. I know I'm feeling numb right now and I'm assuming you might feel the same, like the Force has attempted to cushion us from the worst of it. If we had been any closer to Coruscant than being here on Corellia this would have been a lot worse." Observing her Padawan for a moment she made a suggestion, "If you like I can give you a sedative to help you relax. You can decide if you want to stay in here or go to your room... wherever you will feel the most comfortable." 

Picking up the remote for the holoscreens, Skye flicked the news channels off. In their place was now a live view of their surroundings, showing the lake and forest. Soothing sounds of nature filled the room. She couldn't take in any information right now. Nothing had sunk in other than knowing that Faust had done it again. The Jedi Healer sat on one of the lounges, tucking her feet up under her, making herself comfortable while waiting for I-Nine to return with their beverages.

SkyeOrgana.jpg

Jackson rubbed his hands over his face and licked his lips in thought. "Water, please." He whispered, only then realizing just how dry his mouth had become. His legs carried him listlessly to the nearest seat shortly after, only stumbling over himself a few times on the way. "I will... say, here." The Padawan mumbled, more to himself than anything else. It was still difficult to parse through the information being passed along through his senses; the background numbness blurring sights and sounds, and muddling his hearing. It would pass, surely.

Instead of dwelling on it any longer, Bloome resolved to do something more productive with his time. His eyes closed and his attention turned inwards, only to be greeted by an only vaguely familiar place. The threaded core that he once recognized as his internal plane, of sorts, was gone. In its place hovered a disconnected mass of energy; a dense construct of defensive layers and jagged edges, blasted and fragmented apart before being slapped crudely back together in some poor facsimile of what used to be.

What was worse, he could hardly access it at all. Some small manipulation was all that he was able to manage before either the ache became too intense, or the entire thing shrunk back in on itself far tighter than it had been when he had first tried meditating. That was going to be a problem. But, he would be able to manage with it, right? It would heal. And if it didn't, then... he would have to figure something out.

For now, though, he'd follow Skye's instructions. If she believed that they should bide their time and rest, then he wouldn't argue with it.

I-Nine left the living area, returning after a few minutes with a green tea for Skye and a glass of water for Jackson. The droid also placed a water jug and second glass on a small table off to the side of the lounge chairs. Flitter hovered between the two Jedi, running the scans on each of them and bringing up the results on a smaller monitor. When Skye glanced at it she noticed that while their life signals were showing alright, some of the other results from the brain scans were showing signs of the stress both had undergone. 

"I recommend not doing anything Force related tonight. In the morning you can attempt a light meditation though only do what feels right. What we will do tomorrow is some old fashioned hunting. There are some game animals in this forest that we can go after. This exercise will give you something new to experience. I'll show you how to prepare meat from it's source, then how to cook it. Skills that you will find helpful if you ever get stranded somewhere where you might need to hunt for food. I'll also teach you how to fish. I'll give you a choice of which we can do first - fishing or hunting. I'll also teach you how to test your 'catch' to make sure it is edible." The Jedi Master paused. What she hoped would happen during this 'exercise' - besides teaching him how to hunt for food - is that being surrounded by nature he might reconnect with the Force in a more natural environment. "Any questions?"

SkyeOrgana.jpg

• 9 months later...

It had been quite some time since Skye had brought Jackson to Corellia and since the destruction of Coruscant. It had knocked both Master and Padawan for a six and it seemed like they had just been treading water and Skye was only just coming out from the fog it had left them in. Her Padawan had gone off on a personal discovery mission and only the Force knew when he would return. 

The sound of the forest first thing in the morning was calming, though the air was already warming up towards a hot summers day. Skye paused for a moment to wipe her brow before she took off running once more, following the track through the forest and around part of the teardrop lake. She stopped just before the Organa boundary line and took to the water, feeling the cooling  water envelope her as she dove beneath the crystal clear surface.  She remained underwater several meters before coming up for air and swimming back across the lake to where I-Nine waited on the jetty. The silver and green protocol droid handed her a towel as she emerged from the water. "Master Skye, you have messages from Morgana and Krishna." The Jedi Master smiled at this piece of news, "Thank you I-Nine, I'll listen to them now." Skye was always happy to hear from her children and would reply to them both and send one to Amon while she was at it. After she had done this, the Healer readied herself to go to the local hospital for her shift. 

SkyeOrgana.jpg

• 1 month later...

“Well the question exists sir.” The Ex-Republic fleet commander and ex-senator spoke with a hard voice to the Selonian delegation. “Do you want to sell this system to the Sith Empire without a fight or do you want to hold out hope for a resurgent Rebel Alliance?” He ran his hand through his stubble and beard. “I know they have gathered on Nar-Shaddaa, all we need do is reach out and ask.” 

The Selonian nodded, and the rest of the small furry animal delegation did as well. The Humans had already made up their minds a year ago and were deep into the production of a myriad of new ships for home defense. With the Selonian council convinced, the war was guaranteed to reach this peaceful system. He looked up at the distant cylindrical Centrepoint and sighed. He looked over to his Assistant, Lyria. A human cybernetic construct that he had bought off the black market some years before. The blinking lights on the side of her head’s cybernetic unit thrummed an annoyed orange. 

“Tell me again what our fleet can muster.”

godfrey.png.1b7b62c09ee5dd5a9bb076a769485c63.png

Rebel Alliance Fleet Command - Godfrey d'Outremer