Naboo

RaveN

Knight.

Not a title Aelyn ever imagined would belong to her. It evoked the image of the armored warrior, the chivalrous protector. Difficult to provoke but skilled in arms, a force to be reckoned with on and off the battlefield. Scion of an ancient tradition and noble bloodline. A being of unwavering principle and courage, steadfast even in dire peril.

She didn't feel like she was quite any of those things, but the Jedi Council and Aira had agreed that she was fit for the title and was now a full member of the Order. A partner in their continuing legacy, the title conferred on her a sense that they stood by her and were available to support her as she would continue to support them. The Order was one of the oldest and best established organizations in the galaxy and had many friends and enemies. As a Jedi Knight, Aelyn represented her peers, and the galaxy would expect much from her. Even more than the Naboo government had.

"Thank you, Master," Aelyn said, her cheeks slightly flushed. "It's a big responsibility, and I know I still have a lot to learn, but I will never stop aspiring to it."

She glanced around at the other people in the tea shop before returning her gaze to Aira. "But it's hard to think ahead while the job here isn't really done. I feel that the leviathan, although she has retreated for now, is still a threat to these people. I have to see this through to the end. If you don't wish to stay, I understand."

• Like 1
B7kIdWt.jpg

I smiled as I sat back in my seat. "You've earned it."

Aelyn then brought up the leviathan. "Of course I'll stay. The scientists are going to make their preliminary reports tomorrow. Depending on what they decide, we may still be needed." I reached into the Force, hoping for a glimpse or hint at what the future would hold. I didn't sense any violence. That was encouraging. "For now, though, let's just drink our tea."

---

The next afternoon found the two of us in the palace of Theed. This was being taken straight to the queen. We stood silently as the scientists made their recommendations. "All that said," the representative said, finally getting around to his point after a long-winded and mostly incomprehensible scientific explanation, "we believe that with a bit of conditioning, the creature prisitis maloba will be able to be acclimatized to our ecosystem without too harsh a strain on our world. Our team is eager to try and preserve this creature. However, it is our recommendation that we make the creature temporarily infertile, to prevent it from reproducing until we can learn more about it and it's origins."

There was other talk, but everyone seemed to agree. The queen was a bit more hesitant, but the scientists had done extensive research, and it was clear that they wouldn't have recommended this lightly. I was pleased. The creature didn't deserve to die simply because a Sith had manipulated it. And I was encouraged that they'd be keeping a close eye on it, in case there was lingering programming that another Sith could exploit.

aira%20sig%202016_zpsneqbkyej.jpg

Captain of the Galactic Alliance & Jedi Knight

"That's excellent news," Aelyn said at the end of the presentation. "I had all but given up hope. I trust that the greatest care will be taken to make sure it doesn't get another chance to attack any settlements. And if something does happen, know that I will make every possible effort to return here."

The Queen thanked her for her offer and her role in the ordeal. It seemed that they were on the same page. While all life was worth preserving, and Maloba's work in creating the leviathan was magnificent, it had been created as a vessel and a tool of war. A scientific effort to reform and acclimate it to Naboo was noble but if unsuccessful could result in disaster, and so would need to be treated with utmost caution.

Soon the two Jedi Knights had been dismissed from the Palace with the palace's compliments and they headed back out into the Naboo sun.

"Think I'm going to find somewhere to train for a bit, see where the Force takes me," Aelyn told her former Master. "Do you need a ride somewhere, or have you gotten your ship situation sorted out?"

B7kIdWt.jpg

As we walked out, I felt good. Things here had been resolved, and in a way that was the best one could hope for. That happened rarely, and when it did, it was always worth celebrating. "I'm fine; I have a ship that can take me where I need to go," I replied to Aelyn's offer. "Go where the Force leads you, for sure--but I have a suggestion. Take a moment and celebrate. You've come so far, and we rarely get milestones like this in our lives." I hoped she'd take my advice. Aelyn had things she enjoyed, but I had never seen her just let her hair down. "And you should probably tell your parents the good news."

It was only a short walk to the hangar, and we arrived by the time we were done talking. Suddenly, I felt strange. "So, I guess this is it. For a while anyway." It was funny; I had known this day was coming from the moment I took her as my padawan, but I was still unprepared for how odd and unwelcome the moment of parting actually was. There wasn't really anything to say that hadn't already been said--except one. I reached out and hugged her tightly. "May the Force be with you, Aelyn."

If she was being honest, Aelyn wasn't sure that becoming a Jedi Knight was something that was to be celebrated. Although she was receiving recognition for completing a very difficult training program, she knew that the trials would never end. She was graduating into a life of service and sacrifice. There did seem to be a lot of freedom within the role -- Jedi didn't have an office where they needed to be for 40 standard hours a week -- and she thought that would suit her very well. But a Jedi was also never off duty. She would need to answer the call of the Force to intervene in a situation wherever and whenever it might be.

What had happened here on Naboo had been a hard-fought victory. By itself, she might not have been willing to celebrate it, either. Her first brush with death and the experience of knowing men and women she was responsible for had died had been harsh and would continue to challenge her even though she had decided to push forward.

But maybe between the two events, there was a good reason to look back at how far she had come and say a toast for the lives of those she might now be equipped to save.

"I'm certain that it will also be with you, Aira," she said, returning the hug. "Let's keep in touch. Uh, that is, if you don't end up deep undercover in some criminal organization again." She smiled but secretly hoped she didn't get involved in anything like that at least for a while. Holding the same rank as Aira didn't mean she had nearly the older Jedi's capabilities just yet.

"See you around!" she finally said, heading into the hangar and the finding the Open Road awaiting her.

Moments later the ship's engines flared to life and she headed for space. Time for more exploring!

B7kIdWt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had spent a few days on Naboo after Aelyn had left, recentering myself. I sensed a change coming in my career as a Jedi. Training Aelyn had made me feel simultaneously more connected and more disconnected from the Jedi Order as a whole, and I didn't know what the Force was up to.

Until I got the call from the Grandmaster. And then everything fell into place.

It made sense. I was the Jedi with the most experience commanding fleet elements. And I couldn't deny that I was eager to get back on a ship again. Flying around, righting wrongs and defending innocents by using big guns and hoards of starfighters sounded just about right to me.

As I left Naboo and headed to rendezvous with the fleet, I was left to muse just how much in the path of my master I was following. I hoped that was a good thing.

• 2 years later...

The hodge-podge array of freighters and fighters dropped out of hyperspace just as planned. They slipped into the shadowy darkness of space that was the dark side of Naboo’s biggest of three moons. This mission was the same, yet totally different. Naboo was a civilized world, with decidedly coordinated defensive measures that could harass and drive off the likes of Jaden Jorus and Shimsinblimp’s irregulars.

Silence was key. Drop to the moon, hit the warehouses hard and fast, load what could be grabbed, and get gone before too many reinforcements showed up. Spice mining was a legalized and regulated business for the Naboo, even if it was morally frowned upon. Some would surely rejoice at the destruction of such facilities. Others would react with malice.

Spice jacking was a high risk, high reward, adrenaline inducing career choice. It was like podracing; podracing without any rules while higher than a spaceborn nerf, and guns, lots of guns.

At the lead, Shimsinblimp’s Skipray held the lead. The Lady Legionnaire would lead the craft in. The bulk of Jorus’ fleet bypassing the bulkier freighters of Blimp’s. They would make the initial strafing run while Blimp and his men breached the warehouses and dealt with any initial resistance. As ships were loaded, they would swap with airborne craft until they had their fill or were driven back.

Again, as soon as they were known, time would be limited and speed and skill essential.

Pushing The Lady Legionnaire into a deep dive, the fleet began to accelerate rapidly towards the surface. By the time the alarm could be raised, they would be on the surface, taking their fill.

"Alright, we want this fast. Naboo build their fighters pretty and fast, and I don't intend to get shot out of the sky by a showpiece."

Jorus's ships swooped down over the moon's surface, rapidly decelerating to land in around the mine like flies on a carcass. Rough looking thugs and mercenaries trickled out in twos and threes, setting up behind cover and opening fire. Per orders, they weren't aiming for anything, just establishing their presence to get the any workers to clear the area and draw the guards into defensive positions for Blimp and his squads to crack.

Blimp eyed his onboard sensor questioningly before keying in a simple code to the ships under his command. It was nothing complicated; just a reworking of the strategy. As Jorus Jaden’s ships and crews slowed to begin an assault, a trio of gunships broke off from Blimp’s command and began a high speed strafing run across the rooftops of the compound. Turbolaser fire detonated the ground and tore through flimsy sheet metal roofs as the onslaught began.

The Lady Legionnaire circled and came into land within the fenced confines of the compound under a hail of small arms fire from the men under Jaden’s comand. A handful of freighters crowded in to land as well, much closer than galactic safety regulations would regularly allow.

Suited up in his custom dropsuit, Blimp thundered out of the ship, suit mounted rockets propelling him forward like a sand panther leaping for her prey. His suit mounted weaponry fired, adding to the din.

In the distance, klaxons began to blare announcing the sudden state of emergency. They were not needed to tell the handfuls of mining crews what was happening. It was too late for them as the majority scurried for escape and cover. They did not get paid enough for this.

Blimp smiled in wicked glee. It was a smile that barely twinkled in his eyes. The shimmer of light even there deep, dark and twisted and mingled with an unseen announce. The alarms were supposed to have been disabled. He keyed his comm, “Captain, begin loading as much as you can. If it ain’t nailed down, it is ours.”

With a sharp whirring, Blimp’s boot mounted saw hacked through the crude lock to the warehouse nearest he and his men. Showers of sparks litup the dark against the backdrop of blasterfire and roaring engines. The door clattered to the ground in a plume of moon dust. Before the dust even began to settle, his crews of spicejackers, lowlifes, and criminals were rushing in, weapons at the ready to secure the coveted spice within.

As his minions rushed past him and began their work like a well oiled machine, Blimp and a small hand picked group of eight diverted from the stores of spice. Quickly they made their way between the warehouses, their rocket packs, boosters, and other mechanical means of motion hurrying them along at supernatural speeds towards a single warehouse a short distance away. Several warning signs littered the barren area of ground between the compound of warehouses and this single warehouse. They warned of unspecified dangers, urged caution, and strongly suggested that the smoking of cigarras, spice, death sticks or otherwise was poorly planned.

Ceasing their mechanized motion, Blimp and company slowed to a cautious lope. Time was still of the essence. There was bo sense dying though. Not yet. Not here.

Reaching the locked blastdoor, Blimp quickly keyed in the access code. The light on the lock wavering on red for a mete second that felt like an eternity before chining to green. The heavy licks within the door and wall sliding back with a thud to allow access.

Blimp breathed a silent sigh of relief as he felt his shoulders relax a fraction. If there was one thing that the spice miners of Naboo were famous for it was being disgruntled; never happy with their cut of the profits. Disgruntled and feeling underpaid had made it east enough to buy the access codes and spreadsheets of warehouse stores. It had even allowed for Blimp and his associates to ensure that resistance would be light. The klaxon wailing in the distance had proven that not all turncoats could be trusted. 

With a heave, Blimp’s musclebound minions threw the doors open to reveal carefully stacked crates of baradium bisulfate labelled ‘MOONGLOW’. Several sharp intakes of breath could be heard over comms as his men tensed at the sight of the stacks. “Blimey! There is enough here to blow a hole in a,”  one crewman breathed before being cut off. 

“Two crates each. If we have time, we will come back for more. Put them aboard The Lady. Hurry.” Blimp did not need to tell his crew to use caution. Each of them knew well enough so as to not turn their immediate area into another crater on this moon.

With the assistance of his mechanically enhanced dropsuit, Blimp hefted a medium-sized crate beneath each of his four arms. 

"Gyeaaaagh!"

Jorus grimaced as one of his men went down. The comm crackled before fading back into the sounds of muffled shouting and blaster fire. He must have fallen on the comm button.

Gut wound from the sounds of it. He wondered for a second what it said about him that he could tell as he cut the channel from the general feed.

"Sir!" This voice, a hint of hysteria creeping in, Jorus knew but couldn't place. One of the newer recruits then.

"Hold the line! Keep making a show, that troig is almost done." He snapped his fingers as he placed the voice. Borbo Gil, a freighter/smuggler Nok had picked up from a gutted mining venture. Ugly business, lots of dead miners. "Dont lose your mettle because of one dropped man!"

"What? No, sir, that's not it! I can see Blimp's crew now, and they've got baradium bisulfate! Kriffing crates of the stuff!"

Jorus was to hard boiled and tough to waver over a few explosives. He did, however, check the ship's altimeter and ease it up a few meters.

Standard precaution. That was all.

"Hold position anyway, and for the love of everything dont shoot near the stuff."

Jorus opened a panel in his arm and keyed in a code. The ship beeped in response, and the words "Encryption enabled" flashed across the screen.

A few more key presses, and the ship was recording.

"Boss, Blimp's stealing more than spice. Looks like baradium bisulfate. Lots of it, enough to leave this place a crater. I'll get you details but...this ain't the kind of thing you hunt down to sell, and if he plans on using it I dont wanna be nearby when he does."

With one more key press, the recording was being broadcast on a subspace transmission to Mon Calamari.

Down below, the fighting intensified as the security forces got organized and pushed back. Jorus's goons tenaciously stood their ground behind crates, firing back without any real desire to hit. Stall and distract...

Responding Security forces from the moon’s small outposts began to swarm towards and into the area, arriving in groups of one or two security speeders. The security took cover behind their metallic green soeeders; turning their vehicle-mounted cannons on the pirate forces.

Blimp’s men continued to shuffle crate after crate of spice from the breached warehouses to their ships. They moved at a break-neck pace to take advantage of the limited time they had. Each man returned fire when their hands were free or when providing cover for their comrades. Meanwhile, Blimp and his trusted entourage zigzagged back through the cacophony towards The Lady Legionnaire. Once they got to the ship, they carefully and quickly secured their cargo before exiting to return fire. Their brethren were still working, so Blimp and company began the process of laying down a heavy barrage of cover fire as they inched back towards the lone warehouse of baradium bisulfate.

In the distance, security forces continued to advance towards the attackers. The few freighters that were still airborne circled to rain fire down on some security forces in an effort to slow their advance somewhat, buying precious minutes by which to allow the forces to mop up their work and get offworld. 

"Alright boys," Jorus called out into the comm, "pull on back. We're leaving."

Grinning, Jorus leaned down on the joystick of his AEG-77 VIGO gunship and dropped down to just above the moon's surface before rocketing along the dusty ground. This close, the ship's passing kicked up a huge trail of thick dust, and security forces scattered as the ship barreled past their barricades with only feet to spare. Licking his lips, Jorus eased the joystick gently back and forth, just dodging each pile of empty crates and clusuter of out-buildings.

One advantage to a mechanical arm...precision flying.

Jorus whipped the ship around and came back for another pass, but knew they had to move. If the Naboo royal space fighters didn't show up soon, the miners were liable to whip out whatever heavy armaments they had to deal with pirates like these. Turbolaser turrets, rapid deploy mines...

Out of the corner of his eye as he sped past, Jorus caught a glimpse of a long metal tube being set on a shoulder.

Rockets. Rockets were also a possibility.

"Everybody move fast! And get those shields up before you take off! They've got rockets, don't know how many!"

Jorus grimaced and whipped around again, this time laying down laser fire. the AEG-77 VIGO was a big ship compared to the little fighters a base like this might normally see, so it could take a hit or two. Better him than the spice.

Or the explosives.

An explosion that sent shudders through his craft told him he'd hit something that went boom on the last barricade he'd passed over. Two more booms that rattled his teeth told him he'd gotten their attention. He cut to the right and caught sight of a streaking pill of light shoot past him and explode a few yards off the port wing. Another rattling crash from underneath signaled a direct hit, and the blue shield monitor suddenly had a lot more red on the screen.

"We're ready commander! All ships taking off!"

Jorus grimaced and pulled around for one more run. He had to keep the security forces' attention.

Blaster fire and rockets crisscrossed the starry sky as Jorus blasted away two more barricades, sending men in uniform tumbling across the moon's surface in various states of char.

"We're away sir! We're away!"

Jorus pulled up on the joystick and the ship followed his lead, though sluggishly. He'd need to recalibrate the engine after a shakeup like this.

Fortunately, the engines still worked fine. Within seconds Jorus was rocketing into the night sky and out of range.

Blimp cursed, his tirade a colorful string of less than professional descriptors in a variety of languages. He and his hand picked crew reversed directions, taking off at maximum propulsion towards The Lady Legionnaire and her fragile cargo.

Jorus’ orders over the comm alongside the chatter indicating the arrival of heavier defensive forces indicated it was time to go, sooner than Blimp had hoped, or paid for. Someone would have to pay; but that was an issue for another time and place. Right now, they needed to get out of there with their ill-gotten booty.

clamoring aboard the blastboat, Blimp snarled at the Duros in the pilot’s seat, “Get us out of here! Follow those pirates.” 

Even as the hatch began to close, the ship was lifting off. Throughout the compound, last second crates of spice and other materials were thrown haphazardly aboard the freighters as they too all began to lift off, pointing their bows towards the stars.

It was not a moment too soon as Naboo Security Forces began to materialize on the scanners. With a final pass of withering turbo fire, the ramshackle fleet rocketed from the moon, away from the planet, and towards the safety of the stars. 

• 4 months later...

Jackson sighed wistfully as his ship made landfall, and he began prepping for disembark. In light of all the recent events he felt that it may be necessary, in the end, to take a day or two to just... breathe. And he could think of no better place for it than Naboo.

A rude snort echoed from inside the newly-minted Knight's enviro-helmet. "Yeah, right."

The truth was that he still had some old Nubian parts in his bay, and he wanted to get rid of them. Most people in the outer rim didn't particularly care for the shined-chrome look of the things or their parts, was the issue, so they had mostly just been sitting in his bay gathering dust. If he tried he might even be able to put together a whole ship or two with them all, there were so many. But then, that's what happened when you came across an old smuggling transport full of the things.

The Jedi had some old contacts who swung through Naboo every now and then, so it was a good place to pick up leads on where they might be now. It would even be a good excuse to give his senses some practice, as he made a point to use the force to people-watch in his section of hangar. And good thing, too, as not long after he started paying attention Jack happened to notice something he'd been getting rather familiar with lately: the distinctly blue aura of another Jedi. She wore a red and gold tunic, and something about her just drew the young man's attention in. Upon thinking for a few moments, he realized what exactly it was.

"Excuse me, miss." Bloome lead with as he set himself on an intercept. "My apologies, I'm unfamiliar with who exactly who are as I have been out of the loop for some time now, but you have excellent control. Would you mind if I asked you for some tips, or for a pointer to your own teacher?"

The Jedi shuttle ship dropped into realspace above the emerald planet that had long been the vacation destination of the Galactic Alliance’s elite and rich. But that had waned as war had drummed itself across the galaxy, not to mention the fact that the majority of the galaxy’s rich and famous had died in the destruction of triple zero. When the starship settled, Alcmène pulled herself out of the crash webbing and straightened her crimson tunic. She was of the house of Moriès and she would be damned if she did not look like it. 

She motioned for Vox to follow her and strode out into the sunlight and light breeze of the Naboo royal spaceport. She felt a twinge of a presence nearby and bowed low to the Jedi Knight and gave him a wide smile. 

“Well thank you, I believe I have not met you before either, I am Alcmène Moriès d’Outremer, Jedi Sentinel of the Jedi Order and like 40th in line to be princess of Outremer.’ She lowered her voice almost conspiratorially. “But thank you for complimenting my control. I would be happy to show and teach you.. I appreciate it. This is my apprentice Vox!” 

She motioned the Trandoshan forward. 

14365472_Alcmne.png.bfda32e929e4ce0bf873f82d453f414b.png

With the long ride from Nar Shaada seemingly over with the descent if their vessel, the armored Trandoshans relaxed, still uncomfortable by flight and since fairing. They were amazed at first by all the twinkles in the stars, something they hadn't paid much kind to when under attack by the Sith Cruisers. There really wasn't time to pay attention to stars when your entire ship is under attack. But the amazement was quickly replaced by that memory for the four Trandoshans Vox, Krexis, Romulus and Equinox. If it weren't the Nudono people screaming from women to children, and the unseen and hidden panic behind the warriors beneath the facade of strength, it were their frozen forms- 

"They're docking now, Vox." Equinox said in a quiet tone, catching the Chieftain from recounting recent history. 

Vox merely nodded, as he stood the entire time looking out a window rather than sit like Romulus or catch a daze like Equinox or checking equipment like Krexis. The ride was not comfortable, and something told Vox he wanted this done sooner rather than later, he had wanted to be on the ground for the duration of the trip. It almost seemed alien not having his full squad, let alone a chunk of the tribal warriors loaded up with him. But shoving that information to the back of his head, Vox forced his focus on the task at hand. 

As the group exited off the shuttle with the armored Trandoshans in tow of Alcmène they were greeted by another Jedi. Words were said, and while Krexis, Vox, and Equinox paid attention to them, Romulus was gazing around restlessly already wanting to take off. The Chieftain was going to have his hands full, knowing the technophile well, the smaller lizard would steal something and take it apart only to put it back together and keep it. Vox then heard his name and, "Apprentice," used along it. He simply nodded, his facial expression hidden behind the cold and alien look of the helmet 

voxpopuli.png.f80f68e125067e4949ab35e17a997bbd.png

"Jackson Bloome. Newly reinstated Knight, and hunter of wraiths." The fully-enclosed Knight replied, his speakers crackling slightly from the residual moisture of Felucia. His exosuit didn't particularly appreciate such humid climates anymore; not after so much hard use and wear. "Pardon my sound quality, haven't had the time to fully detail my kit. If any of you happen to be interested in mostly old parts, by the way, let me know."

A gloved hand jerked up, thumb pointing over the man's shoulder to his still-open cargo bay. The local inspectors were sending in a team to sort through and catalog everything on the Plunder's manifest, hopefully without tipping over any of the delicately balanced racks or shelves full of expensive components. That cargo box could hold quite a lot of stuff normally, and Jackson had it so stuffed full that it would make a Jawa blush.

The Knight turned to regard the lead Trandoshan after that, giving him a firm nod of respect. "I was an apprentice not so long ago myself. I don't know your circumstances, but if there's anything you'd like help with, from one relative newcomer to another, I'd be happy to help as much as I can. I know things can be confusing and a little... dubious, when you're just getting started."

Meanwhile, as Jackson spoke, he was busily dedicating himself to practicing, just as he had been for nearly the entire trip to Naboo. He was still too slow; too sluggish with his abilities; too weak. And while part of that could be remedied just with practice, he was beginning to suspect that a fundamental change would have to take place before too long: some kind of change to his perspective that would free his soul from its current, tight, restraints.

For now, however, he was stuck practicing. Integrating with and releasing the surrounding energy in rhythmic pulses; mimicking wave patterns; subtly shifting to match certain nearby frequencies and appearances.

Edited by Moose

Two Rebel officers surveyed the blue-and-green jewel of Naboo from hundreds of kilometers above in its orbit. The younger of the two officers, an impressively tall human woman, was frowning down at the planet, lips moving in silent calculation as though trying to make sense of the peaceful world. From a slew of sensor operators and air traffic controllers, the fleet’s Admiral disentangled himself to join his marine commander at Wrecking Machine’s viewport. 

“The planet doesn’t have a solid core? It’s hollow? And the Gungans have it mapped out?”

“Most of it. It’s a conglomerate of rocky bodies and fresh-water tunnels. Geologically stable, but otherwise quite hazardous to traverse, seeing that there is so little submersible traffic between Theed and Otoh Gunga.”

“Respectfully, sir, you sound like…” Bryce tilted back an invisible flask in her hand. “That can’t be mathematically possible. How can the planet even have a magnetic field without a metallic core?”

The fleet’s Mon Calamari Admiral fixed the marine in a single black eye. “Bryce.”

“The planet should have been sterilized by its own star billions of years ago--”

“Captain, you hail from Bespin.”

“Sir, that’s completely different. The planet is a gas giant. Most of its atmosphere is unbreathable--wrong mix of gases, wrong air pressure… it’s only habitable in a very thin slice of altitude--therefore the repulsorlift cities. If it weren’t for the tibanna, Bespin probably never would have been settled in the first place.”

“Whereas I find the exclusively terrestrial existence of most humanoid species a bizarre evolutionary dead-end. However, as fascinating as the conversation may be, we have a mission--to prepare this planet for a potential invasion. Those… mathematically impossible tunnels may be key to the planet’s defense. There is not a moment to lose. Captain.”

“Aye, sir. Contact with the Gungans. I suspect they’ll be properly motivated once they realize the threat facing them. Force be with you, sir,” Captain Bryce offered and received a snappy salute as she departed, belt-spat swaying from her hips as she swaggered from the battlecruiser’s bridge. Several minutes, she and the company of Talons--plus their Bothan liaison--departed in a half squadron of assault shuttles. The glow of their sublight engines converged on a location that was all but uninhabited by either of the world’s sapient species. It was a wilderness at the edge of Lake Country, where the hardwood trees began to give way to irascible, stubborn mangroves at the edge of the Gungans’ deep, dark waters.

When the shuttles finally set down on the boggy, saturated soil, Bryce stood under the wing of her LAAT/i and began to pace anxiously. There was no sign of their Gungan contacts…she also knew that meant nothing, if the Gungans were waited for their arrival under the surface of their waters.

captbryce.png.2c8f791ababda85e8e03e99cfa70b878.png

• 2 weeks later...

The four Trandoshans watched as the voice-box man spoke, Vox nodded at his name and rank, however didn't understand how a machine could use the Force... Perhaps there was a person inside? Upon hearing the word parts and seeing it firsthand the group heard an audible gasp. Romulus stared wide-eyed at the mass of junk and before Vox could even say anything he had a lightly Jumping Romulus in front of him. 
"We need it- AllOFIT!!!" Romulus quickly said as the child in him was starting to really show. 
Putting his hands out defensively, Vox immediately replied in Nudono, "Easy, Easy! We'll speak to the talking voice-box first! There is business we must handle, I... Will mention it. Go and see for yourself then, we'll find you once you're done." 
Romulus immediately took off and none of the other three Trandoshans took after. They knew the smaller Nudono could handle himself and Vox couldn't help but chuckle. Equinox shook his head a sighed knowing the smartest one on the team, on the tribe actually, couldn't contain themselves. Vox then turned back to the mechanical Jedi and said in Common Trandoshan, "Do... Forgive him, Bloome, Son of Jack. He doesn't handle sights like that very well. If you would let us we could take the load off that ship, knowing our technician he can come up with unfathomable... What is the word? Exceremits? But aside from that, it is an honor to meet a fellow Jedi, Son of Jack." 

“Well of course!” She tilted her head to the side for a moment to consider. “We in the Sentinels have affinity for technology, which is a bit of a weird quirk if I do say so myself. Most Jedi scorn the technology of the galaxy, preferring mountains and trees to the inner workings of a datapad. But you see…” 

Here she pulled the light bronzium skeletal frame of the energy shield from her back and held it up for Jackson to see. The force moved through the latticework like blood through veins. Moving with the electric current. It was soft, barely perceptible, but it was there. Imbued.

“Otherwise we work like every other kind of jedi basically other than we specialize in the fast strike and stealth.” 

She grinned passively and glanced at her apprentice. 

“Do you feel ready for some diplomatic work? It might be a bit tough, the Naboo are ridiculously stubborn.”

Jackson rattled off an amused chortle as his helmet tracked the Trandoshan over to the Plunder's cargo bay. It brought to mind simpler times, and reminded the newly crowned Knight of his own history, down in the undercity. "Not a problem, don't worry about it. I was like that too, not long ago. If I had more time to dedicate to it I'd deal with the lot myself, but there's been a slight shift in my priorities lately."

He turned to face the Sentinel, after that, flexing the tendril connecting him to his ship while he examined the presented work. "Yes, that is partly why I have been trying to seek you folks out. It may be hard to tell but I'm a little bit of a gearhead." The Knight gestured loosely to his person, covered in gadgets as he was. "But... yes! I would be honored to accompany your party, if you'd have me." His attention abruptly shifted as he reluctantly withdrew from the shield, already subtly restructuring the way he managed his own force energy. The changes didn't happen all at once, nor were they particularly easy to see as he neared the end, given the increasingly empty nature of his aura.

"I am admittedly not the best with diplomacy, but I've been living in a pilot's chair for the past three years or so in my absence. Should be able to get you wherever you need to go. Or help fight off Starweirds, although I don't foresee them being much of a problem on Naboo, of all places."

• Like 1

Queen Nemari took a cautious step forward, her thin hand slipping up to her brow to check that the thin gold crown was still in place. 

‘I see that the Alliance has finally sent a representative.” 

Her grey eyes stared at Vox as she said this, extending her hand to him and then to Jackson, finally ending with the Jedi from Outremer.

“It is well past time that the stirrings of the sith are dealt with.”

namari.png.9b13c5fb8f9cd95a34511041918f6b1f.png

NPCs for boardwides and small stories on request

First it was only one ship- A lone capital, a new presence on the battlefield, the first Abaddon-class Star Destroyer to roll off of Geonosis's shipyard. Its lone silhouette hung menacingly above the atmosphere of Naboo, a quiet harbinger of the battle to come. Over the next few minutes, it was joined by an array of other ships. The Sith Fleet hung overhead, and any rebel that had faced it before would know that this was Darth Mavanger's warparty. But what followed was not the opportunity for parley that he had extended in the past. There was no call for surrender, no warning against rebellion. For Mordecai, who stood on the fresh bridge of the new Star Destroyer which was affectionately called the Raven's Bane by the crew, this was not an annexation. This was a message.

The rebels had taken someone precious to him. Before, with Lord Xahl's death, he had settled for his conquest of the Outer Rim, to bring the wilds of the galaxy under the Sith Empire, as had been their shared dream. Now, he would send a message. They had taken someone he loved, and for it, they would die.

What few ships were in orbit that didn't land on the planet or leave the system were quickly annihilated, whether it be civilian or otherwise as fighters swarmed from the rest of the fleet. A new Captain, one who's name he hadn't learned yet, asked him for orders. Mordecai sneered, staring down at the world below with spite in his heart, and his fury bubbled forth once more.

"Burn it to ash."

Before long, hundreds of Sith transports launched, and Mordecai followed suit. They had their own orders, relayed to them by the current commander of his ground forces, but Mordecai had a special plan in mind. His transport beelined straight for Theed Palace, home of Naboo's royal family. They would not escape. He had received word that there was a new Dark Lord, one he had heard of during his days amongst those of the Sith Academy, and that he had received a message from her. He was not interested in bending the knee to a new Dark Lord- His priority now erased all others.

Every rebel on this world would die, and he would do so on as many worlds as it took to avenged his love.

Edited by Mavanger

mavms.png

It was just like the holofilms she had binge watched when she was a kid. They had all clustered around the large screen projector in the second tower of the castle and had watched them as a family. Hell if it had not been for those holofilms, she would not have pursued her latent abilities off world and to the Jedi Order. And now those holofilm villains were appearing in the upper atmosphere above Theed. 

They had been too late. Her mind flew into a frenzy as she considered a hundred possibilities and then settled on one. 

Jackson. Evacuate leadership on your vessel. Lead as many of the royal guard starfighters out of here. They cannot fight the Sith face on and they should come with you. There are uhhh….” Her mind raced for a moment before settling again. “Six fighter squadrons, get as many as you can. But do not delay. Do not fly into the blockade.”

She Looked to the queen then to her apprentice.

Vox, you and you men escort the Queen to safety. Do not wait for me.”

For a moment she knew that she might not ever see any of them again, but then her brain settled and the doubt fell away. The Force would have its will. 

“And both of you. Stay safe and may the Force be with you.” 

She deliberately turned her back on both of them and walked towards the entrance of the palace. Fate would find her there. She pulled the prayer beads from her belt and said a quick prayer as she walked. She would do Outremer proud. 

Mordecai's shuttle tore through the atmosphere, his anger corrupting and warping the very world around him. It was cataclysmic- The Naboo were in cohorts with the rebel, as he had suspected. As such, they would be punished. His shuttle rocked as the palace's anti air landed a powerful hit to the wing, and he felt the ship groan and screech as the damaged wing tore away. The dropship lurched violently, going into a spin as he braced himself. It impacted outside of the main entrance, tearing up concrete and the earth below it as it skid to a halt. Inside, Mordecai climbed to his feet. His armor had absorbed the impact, but the pilot was dead. No matter. He stepped out of the transport to a city on fire- a few over-ambitious bombers had already begun to strafe the city. No matter. His presence was known.

He climbed the steps to the entrance of the palace as guards raised their weapons to stop him. It was over quickly. Four guards had come to meet him. As he leapt forward, fed by the unending pool of rage and sorrow in his heart, he drove his sabers into the man's chest. The next in line was a young woman, who held her fire in fear of hitting her comrade. It was her death. He lunged for her, severing her head and letting his momentum carry him into the next. He drove his fist into the man's chest, the Force-enhanced blow shattering ribs as the man went down. The final guard tried to run, but it didn't save him. Mordecai pounced on him like a Nexu, leaving two scorched slashes in the coward's back as he, too, fell dead. Four laid dead around him, but it wasn't enough. His pain, and his grief, and his anger were still there. He had not yet acquired his vengeance.

As he entered the palace, more guards tried to stop him, and more guards were cut down like the insignificant traitors they were, and he was drawn to a presence of light, one that he recognized. An Imperial Knight. She was waiting, intending to stop him, he was sure. A traitor like the rest, she would fall. He let out a furious cry as he cut down another guard, his rage apparent to all around him, his presence a roiling wound of Dark Side energy. Whatever shreds of good had been left in Mordecai were being burnt away in the fires of his rage. He had always held onto his notions of honor, even in his darkest moments... but now, he willfully gave it all for the chance to soothe the ache in his chest with the blood of his foes. Whether the guards surrendered, hid, ran or fought, they were cut down if they got in his path, without a doubt relaying to those in command of his destruction.

mavms.png

Kahla stood with her chin high on the bridge of the cruiser. watching carefully as they dropped out of hyperspace. Her flesh still burned from the weeks of practice with her droid, though thankfully thus far Vance hadn't managed to kill her. They were only slightly behind Darth Mavanger's war party, trickling in just in time to see the swarm of fighters and dropships make for planetside. A sight troubled her mind, something she couldn't quite put her finger on, long she stared into the massed fleet, studying it. Then, with a wave of understanding, she counted only one Harrower, the Phantom's Spear. Her heart skipped a beat, though she suppressed her outward response to little more than a hard swallow.

"Roll out the guns, Burn everything, save for Theed itself." Her stern voice bounced, devoid of empathy. "Prioritize civilian infrastructure." The captain's eyes widened in shock, bad enough already he had to lead such a horrible ship, but this? He hesitated, his mind racing as a bead of cold sweat dripped down the side of his face. He couldn't help but fixate, putting himself in the shoes of these people. The days they've lived and loved, worked and celebrated, he thought back to home, where his younger brother was studying to be a doctor. Where his mother lived her twilight years at home, tending her garden.

He froze as Kahla turned to face him, unable to look away, unable to hide the fear in his soul. How long had he hesitated? Seconds? Minutes? Surely there was no turning back now. With all the courage he could muster, his voice cracked out "T- To what end, my lady? They are of no threat to our empire." Kahla locked eyes with the man, her expression unchanging though her head tilted ever so slightly. "Anger makes our enemy reckless, they make mistakes when fury takes hold of their actions. There is no more efficient a method to anger our enemies than to put the innocent in danger." She spoke matter of factly, her voice came so steady in contrast to the shakiness of the captain. "Then there are other options." He proposed. "No. What we do today is reprimand for opposing us so openly on this campaign. As Darth Mavanger has made abundantly clear, this scum should step aside, lest they be trampled under our march." She started to stalk towards the taller captain who fearfully stepped back. "I will not allow such unforgivable, indiscriminate murder of innocent lives!" His voice raised to a shout as he found a foothold to stand his ground. The thoughts of families being so mercilessly torn to pieces.

Kahla smiled as she watched his bravery overcome his fear. It was impressive to her, to see someone so devote as to stand against her order. "I respect your decision, Francis, and admire your courage. Thankfully, Captain Numa will carry out my order." His eyes widened as he gasped frantically for air, the thoom of the igniting lightsaber reverberated through the open space of the bridge. At first he didn't feel the burning, but the stench of burning flesh drew his attention the the blade in his stomach. Kahla drew her saber away before quickly stabbing up through his chin.

Vera stood, confused at first by her name being preceded with the title of captain, and in an instant she understood. Like a beam of lightning the saber's stabs came, the crimson blaze flashing for only a second before dispelling. His body fell limp to the ground with a tump. The seared flesh smoldered as Kahla turned to the newly appointed captain. "The hospitals will be first, captain." Her voice was so cold, his life meant nothing to the Sith, and his death had no weight on her mind. Vera nodded in affirmation before taking the captain's chair. The smell was revolting, nauseating to the young woman. The infirmary crew came to retrieve the body shortly after Kahla left for the hangar where her Fury Interceptor was waiting, fueled and armed.

A chill ran down her spine, the same chill she'd had every time she'd taken the helm. With antipathy she pushed the throttle forward, hatred brewing inside her as she made way for the surface.

kahala.png.91259c682421c23e82bdf3466492cecc.png

The next several minutes felt like hours. As Johanna paced the edge of the lake, splashing the cool waters against her ankles, the Rebel marine reflected that perhaps the reputation that the Gungans had for perpetual tardiness was perhaps warranted. In her experience, there was never a moment that she could afford to lose. And yet, the amphibians also had a reputation for being 

The next fifteen minutes felt like an hour. As Bryce paced the edge of the lake and waded into the cool waters up to her ankles, the Rebel marine reflected that perhaps the reputation that the Gungans had for perpetual tardiness was somewhat warranted. In her experience in the armed forced, there was never a moment that she could afford to waste. And yet, the amphibians also enjoyed a reputation as unlooked-for allies: their society existed separately from the Human Naboo and had a somewhat isolationist perspective… yet they had sacrificed entire legions of warriors in times of crisis.

Rather than being allowed to dwell on this wasted time, the Talon’s comlink buzzed on her bracer. It was a direct line from Admiral Klatchka, who hovered above her armor as a miniature Mon Calamari. “Captain, major Sith fleet units have emerged from hyperspace. Naboo is under invasion. We can’t hold these forces back. We must withdraw.”

Bryce grimaced. “Sir, and my soldiers?”

“You’ll have to make do on the surface. I’m sorry, Captain. May the For--”

And that was the end of the transmission--terminated midsentence, doubtless to enforce comms discipline as all outgoing transmissions needed to be kept at a minimum as the ships “went dark”. Johanna suspected that the fleet units were withdrawing to the planet’s star--probably making use of solar flares or other phenomena to mask their presence--but that meant that she and her two hundred Talons were going to be cut off from evacuation and stranded in hostile territory. She exchanged a glance with Alpha’s platoon sergeant, a Chiss whose expression remained impassive. At least, Bryce hadn’t yet learned out to read Drell’s facial expression… but if his thoughts were mirroring her own, then he also knew that all two hundred of them were likely to be dead at the end of the day.

A bubbling cauldron of lake water stirred Bryce from her distraction. A loose-limbed Gungan came swaggering up from the opaque water, clad in dripping leathers and a bearing an unusual, staff-like weapon with a hollow at its end.

“Capitan Bryce, Bombad General Yuusan. Weesa welcome you to Naboo.”

“General, sir.” The marine saluted; the Gungan held his weapon-bearing hand to his breast. “I’m afraid that our timetable has just been moved up significantly. Our ships have detected major Sith fleet elements--enough that they need to withdraw. The planet is under invasion.”

Supposedly the Gungans also had a reputation for advertising their every emotion on their face, of gawping wide-eyed, of frothing at the mouth, bashing spear against shield, and spitting defiance at their enemies; this one’s expression may as well have been carved from wroshyr. The Gungan warrior just blinked, nodded, and intoned slowly, “And whatsa yousa being doing about dis?”

“Well, sir… it occurs to me that this invasion is not likely to stop with Theed or the other Naboo cities. This Sith Empire has not exactly shied from executing genocides against species that have opposed it in the past. The reports of what they are doing on Mon Calamari are… frightening. A similar scenario is likely to occur here. However, my men are not a garrison or a Cresh-Besh unit.I propose that we join our forces to launch an immediate counterattack.” Feeling her spine attempting to melt away under the unyielding stare of the Gungan General, Bryce forced herself to rise to military-spec height and straighten her shoulders. “Talons strike, sir. ”

Now the Gungan reputation for being emotive was redeemed. Obviously amused by this display of esprit de corps, the fat Gungan erupted into massive, booming laughter--and continued laughing even Bryce’s jaw tightened and her expression grew serious. “Oh! Hohoho! Weesa like dees one! Ohoho!” The Gungan slapped his knee out of amusement. “Yes, yes, okie-day. Yousa want to keel and die, weesa happy to help. Longo comprends da thrrreat ahf da Seeth. Weesa--weesa long sheds mui blood to them.” Still chuckling, the Gungan began wading into the waters, which began boiling with the hulls of dozens of clamshell-shaped transports. “Pleasa! Comen Capitan! Comen! And yousa warriors! Weesa provide transport! And when da time comen, weesa fights and dies with you. But for now, yousa shares yous plans. Oh-hoh! Disa be hot.”

Glancing at the formation of shock troopers behind her, Bryce just shrugged and signaled her men forward to the Gungan transports. In a few minutes, they were all under the waters, cold, sopping wet, abandoned… and determined to make this a long and miserable day for the Sith Empire.

captbryce.png.2c8f791ababda85e8e03e99cfa70b878.png

Jackson turned his head up as he heard the sound of capital ships leaving hyperspace. It was a distinct experience that he had specifically gone out of his way to avoid since he left Coruscant behind him and for good reason. Every hair on his body stood on end under his exosuit from the brief flash of memory, before it was abruptly cut off and silenced. The Knight had better things to do than sit and gawk, and every moment mattered.

A simple nod was all he offered before turning and running back to his ship. His cargo would need to be dumped after all, unfortunately for both him and the aspiring Trandoshan gearhead investigating its contents. There was no other way he would have the space to transport all the command personnel around, and even then it was going to be tight. Hopefully, they'd even be ready by the time he was done emptying his cargo pod.

Meanwhile, inside the Transient Plunder, switches began to flick and capacitors discharged as pre-flight warmup began. The ship had been with Jackson for a good while, and though it was fueled by imminent tragedy, the Jedi Knight was almost looking forward to honing his new understanding in the conflict ahead. He had already been assisting his flight with the force before, but he had a better idea of just how to take advantage of it now. Even if his glimpse into the inner workings of Alcmène's energy shield had been too brief for his liking.

Hidden thrusters and lamps ignited as the old Wayfarer's owner approached, giving anyone aboard or nearby just enough time to evacuate before lifting ponderously off of its landing platform. The knight charged ahead heedless of the flaring engines and leaped high into the bay. His mag boots locked him down against the cold metal floor and the entire ship began to tilt and list to one side, quickly beginning to eject its cargo through the larger, newly-opened hangar doors on the side of the rectangular pod. He wouldn't be needing the platform again and there were few other places for it, unfortunately, though a few of his real gems were kept safe inside of his repurposed smuggling compartment.

The ship was quick to move into action after that; scooping up as many of the local command and support staff as it could possibly hold, sometimes almost literally, as it broadcast a short burst of instructions to the pilots Jackson had been put in charge of evacuating. They were going to need to stick close and keep their eyes open because he was going to lead them through the battle as quickly and as close to the ground as they could manage. Naboo was a wonderful planet, but by the end of everything, he was going to scorch their escape through its hills and valleys. He could help disguise them to a point, with the force and creative use of the planet and its sun, but if they didn't move quickly then there would be no escaping the invasion. Not as it crashed into and burned through the very earth they stood on.

Just as Vox was ready to show pleasantries to the supposed Queen a different tone was changed all at once. At least, she looked like royalty. Things went from two to ten, calm to tense within an instant and sudden feeling a dread greeted the Trandoshan Chieftain. And then a sense of urgency was next. When Alcmène gave Vox the orders he nodded in confirmation and then barked loudly at Romulus to come back, which, the smaller Trandoshan did urgently but clearly disappointed. 

Vox would have mistaken it for anything else, but somehow he got the feeling this was the last time he and Alcmène would see each other, almost like an instinct. Upon hearing the final words from his newfound and perhaps later lost master, she turned her back and left, Vox could only reply just enough for the woman to hear in Nudono, "And... the Force... With you."

Now with purpose, the Chieftain turned to the Queen and states in Common Trandoshan, "You're with us then. Equinox, lead the way to a ship, Krexis cover us and Romulus you're next to me. We don't have time, so let us move with haste!"

Death. It had come so quickly to the peaceful planet. 

The Jedi Guardian stood from where she had been meditating and strode to meet this embodiment of Death. He was rage, he was anger, he was destruction. All of it freely radiating into the force like a beacon, or perhaps like one of the great bonfires that were lit during the solstice on her homeworld. She focused on her breathing as she walked. A steady and deliberate breath, dispelling fear and doubt with every exhale. She would need the utmost calm in this engagement. 

As she walked she pulled the thin latticework of the energy shield from its place on her back. Fitting it comfortably onto her arm, then cinching down the leather straps. It was almost a meditation, and it had been something she had been doing for many years. There was a comfort in that familiar snugness, in that slight pinch as the leather found its notching.

Dangersense prickled up the back of her neck and her lightsaber sprung to life in her hand. Its yellow glow looking like liquid gold as it reflected against the polished tiles of the Theed power generating station. 

This was a threat to be dealt with, and there could be no backing down. Her breathing finally steadying as the double doors opened in front of her and she saw the glow of two red lightsabers.  

It was time. The shield on her arm thrummed to energetic life. It was time to test this Sith, for she could not yet see his weakness. She let the force gather within her, feeling it move and weave its intricate patterns in and on her body. When the force moved inside her, she followed its will.  She pushed off with her back leg, allowing the force to guide her movements as she ran towards the Sith Lord. He was strong, likely stronger than her, so she would have to keep him on the back foot. 

She placed her shield before her, keeping it from being pressed against her body then when she reached him she let the lightsaber do its deadly business. Three deft and fast cuts to his face, the force speeding her movements to blurs as she let the blade work from above her shield’s wide edge. She could feel his anger and she faced it with her resolve.

((1))

Actions:

Rushed forward to cover distance. 

Three very fast cuts to neck and face.