Byss

Darth Heretic

Chunk

"Kriff," I cursed under my breath.

A small red light pulsed in the top right corner of the dash.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the Crate is an old bird. This thing had been ancient before I'd even been born, and seen at least three battles worth of damage including losing its entire left wing during the infamous clone invasion of Umbara. However, I would stake my spine that the Crate would never...never... suddenly have a thruster misalignment out of nowhere. That kind of malfunction didn't just happen. You had to try to have that happen out of nowhere.

And yet, that's exactly what the Crate's sensors were telling me was happening.

Our speed began to drop, too rapidly to be explained by thruster issue, and I watched as the altimeter's climbing numbers slowed their rapid ascent to a crawl. At this rate, we wouldn't even be able to break orbit.

Then things got weird.

The dash began to flicker uncontrollably, as if a power cable had come loose. The alarm indicators paradoxically only flashed brighter, bathing my hands in neon glows of green, red, and blue. I slapped the side of the controls, and I swear...I swear to every lugnut on this ship...the control panel hissed at me. Now...maybe that was just some excess steam getting vented...but it sure didn't sound like that.

I gritted my teeth, hands flying over the manual controls I still had access to. Thankfully I never trusted those technical readout things. Too finicky in a pinch. I performed three-step and four-step workarounds, calling up every bit of trivial knowledge I had on my ship as half-a-dozen million to one odds malfunctions seemed to materialize right in front of me just so they could spit in the face of statisticians everywhere.

Then, something...emanated from the Jedi. I couldn't see it, but I could feel it. Like a warm sun at your back.

Then the chaos...just stopped. The lights stopped flickering, our speed picked, and the old junkheap flew like nothing had ever happened.

Well...I wanted weird.

Rather than clue everyone in on the bizarre, near fatal crash we'd just avoided, I just looked back at the passengers and said, "Hyperspace in 10 minutes."

10 minutes later, we left that cursed system behind.

• Like 1