Space

Ary the Grey

As Kari recounted her tale, Ban became more and more uncomfortable. He'd never met someone who was so open about hurtful details of their past, but at the end when she explained why he was a bit relieved to understand better.

"If I think of anything, I'll let you know. I, uh...don't really meet many folks who wear their whole life on their sleeve like that."

There was a moment of silence, and he realized quickly what he'd said could have come off as mildly insulting. He quickly continued, "And, you know, my life hasn't really been nearly that exciting. Mostly tracking down debtors and solving local disputes, that sort of thing."

Another moment of silence.

"I'm...listen...I'm really sorry I asked. It clearly still causes you pain. Pain isn't really something I wish on people. Not too often, anyways. Some folks deserve it, but not like that. I should...I should just go get some sleep until we reach our destination."

Ban really did feel bad for her, but it was something she had to live with. It wasn't a scar he could heal. He stood up, looking around at the various hallways.

"Uhh, which way to the beds, again?"

Ban took a sip from the tea, wincing at the bitterness and heat, but it was a nice gesture. Kari might have had a spotty past, but he handled himself poorly in response. He wasn't really used to these kinds of situations, and it threw him off.

"I could share another cup, sure. The taste is rather...intriguing, once you get past the bitterness." He gave a brief sigh, knowing what he said next would be mildly difficult to word properly. "You must forgive me for that. I'm not a Jedi, it's never really been my job to understand and try to bring peace to such situations. Sometimes, well...often times, people deal with emotional trauma like that very poorly, and understandably so. They are scars upon you, who you were, they mark and partially define who you are now."

Spying a chair at a small desk just inside the door to his quarters, he fetched it, sitting down.

"But that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and it sounds like you refuse to let it be one. Accepting things for how they are is central to a lot of the Kosai teachings. You should be proud of yourself for dealing with this in a healthy way when many others would be crushed under the emotional weight. The Jedi often teach that the natural state of things is peace and harmony, but neglect to understand that a little turbulence allows for growth, and you have certainly grown from the turbulence in your own life."

Ban blew on his cup before taking another sip, noting that the herbal flavors were a bit more robust yet palatable as the tea cooled. He was never much of a tea drinker, but he did know how to appreciate the smaller things in life.

"And I appreciate your warning about Tori. Hopefully, I'll be able to handle myself against her illusions if she becomes a problem. I still don't fully understand my role in all of this, but that's rather normal for me."

Finishing his cup, he waited for her to do the same, intending to follow her for the next one.

"The credits are but a small part of the journey. Subsistence is vital, but profit is meaningless. Few who know the Kosai understand that...all they hear is we want money for services rendered and label us mercenaries. Not everyone has the expansive resources and pull that the Jedi can afford."

It was a short response as she began to walk off, but an important one. At least Ban felt so. Kari was pleasant despite her disturbing history, and Ban wanted to ensure she didn't take him the wrong way. Attachment wasn't typical for him, but he felt that in another life they'd likely be friends. Or perhaps even the future, but time would tell. He followed the will of the Force, not his emotions.

It didn't really matter right now, though. Instead, he would need to focus himself for the trials ahead. He entered his room and shut the door, allowing himself to fall into a deep meditative sleep. 

His dreams were turbulent.