Space

Ary the Grey

Rubbing her temples, Aelyn looked over the datapad again. "I just can't believe that they would deliberately cause a war," she said. "There might be general distrust of the Remnant, but surely the entire Galactic Alliance hasn't forgotten what a toll the last war took on the galaxy and therefore are focused on avoiding another one. I have to think that the agents went rogue or were criminally incompetent. It's horrifying that people died as a result of this, but if it wasn't sanctioned by the Supreme Commander, it shouldn't be mistaken as a political move and turned into something that will result in further death."

The truth was, it looked really bad. What had the agents been thinking? Tensions were already starting to build, and things like this really needed to not happen. She hoped that the GA would agree to let them talk this through with Raven, but a lot of other things surrounded that. They needed the GA to tell them what the mission had really been and hope the captured GA agents didn't tell some version of the story that was totally incompatible with what they were told. They would then either have to totally disavow the entire team or plead insanity for the inciting member.

Damage control sucked, she decided. "It would be a lot easier to talk on behalf of the Galactic Alliance if I felt like I could trust the Senate to do the right thing," Aelyn stated, still looking at the datapad. "As far as I know, they're going to feed us some lies to take to Raven and we're just going to end up helping them cover something up."

She looked at Aira. "Master, I don't think I'm willing to lie and deceive, even to keep the peace. How as Jedi do we balance truth against war?" The ends still didn't justify the means, even when the stakes were high. Maybe war could still be prevented even by telling the complete truth -- as long as the truth wasn't that the Senate and Supreme Commander E'lann wanted war.

B7kIdWt.jpg

"I understand," Aelyn said with a nod as she followed Aira to the cockpit. "The Force works in the moment, when we are calm and focused. I think when we get to it I will be fine, but sitting on the ship with half the picture and all the stakes makes it really easy to worry."

Aira's comm chimed and she played the message from President pro tempore so they could both hear. She decidedly didn't like Godfrey's idle insinuation that he could have Raven assassinated, but she didn't know enough about Tenebris E'lann to have an opinion on whether he was responsible. "I don't suppose we can get time on the Supreme Commander's schedule, too?" she asked Aira. "He's more likely to know what their actual mission was."

Sitting down in the pilot's chair, Aelyn eyed the hyperspace countdown, and a few moments later they arrived again in Coruscant airspace.

B7kIdWt.jpg

• 5 months later...

"We've been following the news coming out of Naboo. I can't believe what you were able to accomplish!"

The blue-tinted hologram was a little bit staticky due to the distances involved, but it properly conveyed the impressed tone Eleanor Talis had adopted. Beside her, her husband Rasil stepped into the holo's display field. "We couldn't be more proud of you, Aelyn," he said. "You truly have a gift for helping those in need."

Aelyn blushed despite herself. "Afterwards, Aira and I met up. The Council granted her petition to raise me to the rank of Jedi Knight."

Rasil smiled broadly. "The Jedi Order is the great good in the galaxy. We will always miss those like Admiral Starlisk who gave their lives in their duty, but that my own daughter might rise to take his place speaks to its endurance."

"Dad," Aelyn protested. "He was on the Jedi Council. Don't you think you're setting your expectations a bit high?" She knew, of course, that he hadn't meant it that way, but he'd always believed she was destined for great thigns even when it had seemed like she was content to live a quiet life.

"Aelyn, the reports said you led a small fleet of starfighters, boarded a leviathan, and captured a mad scientist?" Eleanor spoke up, a hint of concern in her voice. "Is it always going to be that dangerous?"

The new Jedi Knight's cheeks returned to their normal color and she took a deep breath before answering. "Sometimes, yes," she finally said. "I'm sorry, it's hard to hear. But as a Jedi I'm called to risk my life when the situation calls for it, and I'm willing to do that. There will be quiet times, too, but even if Dad and other level heads keep there from being a full scale war, there are other evils in the galaxy that must be faced."

"Someone has to answer for Kashyyyk," Rasil said tangentially. "I think a move to reclaim what's left of the planet is already underway. Do you know if there's going to be Jedi involvement?"

She nodded. "A call to action went out. There's more in the works, too. I'm not sure where I'll end up on everything, but you guys know I'm not a soldier and my new training doesn't change that."

Eleanor looked slightly relieved to hear that last part. "Well please feel free to call any time or come home and visit when we're around."

"I will, Mom," Aelyn answered. "I'm not planning on disappearing on you."

B7kIdWt.jpg