Korriban

Exodus

The hyperspace from whence they came was soon populated by the presence of large celestial bodies as the T-6 Shuttle dropped out of hyperspace. Lord Roshan heard the commotion the Shard and its hound were making as he navigated the ship towards the landing spot indicated on the hud. He let out a brief suspiration before shaking his head.

Droids will be droids, perhaps.

Aliss sat quietly in the co-pilot seat as she watched. There was a twinkle in her eyes. She tried to hide it, but Lord Roshan had known her for far too long. She was excited and likely feeling a bit of wonderment as well. She had grown up on Ishvara her entire life. Exploring alien worlds was something that was likely beyond her wildest dreams. Truth be told, Lord Roshan was a bit surprised to even be here. He had become so comfortable over the years. It was strange to think that only a year ago he had been content to finish out his years on Ishvara with his Knights and his luxuries.

How times change.

Leaving the ship with Aliss and company, Roshan looked around in the darkness. There was an eerie feel to the cooling air of the arid planet. Perhaps ominous was more the right word for it but neither word fit quite right. It was as if someone needed to invent a word with a definition that fit neatly between eerie and ominous.

Darkside perhaps.

At the very least, the glow of the seven moons of Korriban provided them with more than enough light to not wander around in complete darkenss. Solus and the howl of his pet broke Roshan of his current train of thought as he stared at the light in the distance.

“Ah ha! It seems we have arrived! But tell me, what is this place? And...why does it feel so...I don’t know...strange?”  

“Come,” Roshan motioned as he began to walk, lightsaber in hand. “What you are feeling there, Sir Soulless, is the oozing, unbridled power of the Force. The raw power that the Jedi fear unless its been properly contained and diluted. The thing they call 'the darkside' and the unemasculated simply call 'the Force.'”

Then turning to Tear, Roshan added, “Venas zveris ax Nu valia dakraze j'us!”

As he charged cautiously onward, Lord Roshan debated whether or not he should reveal to Solus that Tut’aka could not only understand Sith but could actually speak it. It was an uncanny gutteral sound to have a Tut’aka whisper threats or growl opinions. In his experience, most only spoke to their masters or in the presence of biological ancestors of the Sith. But if you showed yourself capable of doing so, Roshan had found in his years of raiding caches and tombs that most Tut'aka would at least acknowledge you, if not outright respond. 

Of course, whether Tear could do so as well remained to be seen. Nevertheless, Lord Roshan would be shocked if the creature wasn't capable of it at least. Those who were foolish enough to underestimate the intelligence and sentience of the Tut'aka generally didn't live long enough to regret it and there was a reason why the Sith used them as their watchdogs. All the same, such "languaging" could be useful for Solus to learn at some point. But Roshan was unsure if he’d have to manually program the language into the droid or if the Shard would actually have to learn it from him or Sith manuscripts and the like as would be the case with most normal sentients. There was so much still about Solus that was a complete mystery to him.

Meanwhile, Aliss allowed Roshan to take the lead while her and Solus brought up the rear. She still didn’t know what to make of her master’s new “Knight.” Solus had not even go through a single trial or test and yet Lord Roshan was treating him as if he was fully vetted and proven. He even called him "sir"! Perhaps Roshan had finally snapped and lost it. But Aliss dare not question him. All she did know at this moment was that she felt excited and energized being on this mysterious planet. What Solus called “strange” to her felt oddly more like “home” to her.

Turning to the droid after walking in silence for some time, the girl eyed him and his animal companion before finally speaking up, “One thing’s been bugging me, mister. In fact, me and Lord Roshan argued about it a little before we landed. And I know he’s probably right... But...”

Her voice trailed off for a moment before she worked up the courage to ask, “Is your name Soul-less or Sol-ace? Lord Roshan thinks you named yourself Soulless because you don’t have a soul like normal people being a Shard of whatever shards are made of. And I guess that kinda makes sense. But I think you named yourself Solace because you are no longer alone and crying out and found this body has provided you solace.”

She grinned to herself as she finished, satisfied and confident in her astute observation. She, too, had heard Solus' screams through the Force and the calmness this droid chassis had brought him. To be right over Lord Roshan, even in something meaningless like this, would be a victory all the same. Aliss wasn't sure if Solus would validate Roshan or her or even have anything at all to say on the subject. Either way, she was happy to have finally addressed the elephant in the room and said her piece. Shrugging, Aliss turned her gaze back towards Roshan. He seemed like he was determined to get somewhere and she did not want to lose sight of her lord as he charged up the hill in front of them.

LORD ROSHAN:
A feeling tickled at him as he pressed forward. Sliding his mask out from underneath his cape, he placed it on his face to scan the surrounding area. Sure enough! Someone mysterious was up ahead. He crouched a little as if he was intending to stalk his prey. But before he could alert the others and suggest caution, Solus began angrily howling at the moon. Roshan tried to wave and motion him for silence but the Shard either didn't see him or didn't understand.

Sighing deeply, Lord Roshan placed his hands on his knees and let his head drop towards the ground in frustration. Any element of surprise was surely lost now and it wasn't like Korriban was a tomb world either. Korriban certainly had its predators and predators hunted at night.

Lord Roshan remained half-crouched with his hands on his knees and his head down in frustration throughout Solus' tirade and fist pound. It wasn't until Solus had finished and began to lift back up Tear that Roshan finally spoke up.

"If you morons are done waking up anything and everything with the next two miles--"

"J'us buti vi griezta fopa ant bnila, j'us dary nenx ana dyibio j'us naile mirtis. Buti sis atuzirsaga, ax tarabaga?"

Roshan's attention was immediately diverted as he glanced back towards the figure that held the light in the distance. He knew those words. That was Sith. Perhaps with the proper steer and prodding and a little bit of luck, Roshan had managed to get the Force to lead them where they had needed to go after all.

"Neither. Ignorance," he retorted under his breath as he straightened up and began walking in the direction of the stranger again. He kept his hand firmly around his lightsaber as he resumed his approach. He had no idea what to expect but he was not foolish enough to trust a stranger just because they might look harmless from a distance. Especially not on this world.

"If you two are done," Roshan began in a voice laced with exasperation. "We have company. And you'd be wise to keep up and shut up."

As he neared the creature, Roshan formally addressed the unknown figure, "I am Dhonarr Roshan of Ishvara. These are my Knights. The red-skinned human looking girl with yellow eyes is Aliss. The Serpent-Droid guy that... looks like... like an anorexic hutt in body armor... I guess... that's Soulless."

He lowers his voice a little bit as he addresses the figure more directly, "Nu ziur anas j'us zenoti tave lirza iv tave Tsis. Zyemus. Mes tapti' iezkon zo meistras iv tave hekkyuhe qkereyr. Dary j'us zenoti wo?"

Spoiler

I see that you know the tongue of the Sith. Good. We come seeking a master of the darkside. Do you know one?

___

image.png

MOMENTS EARLIER: ALISS

"...us shard’s aren’t accustomed to names really, and sound is something new to me still.”

The teenager frowned a little and gave Solus a look of confusion at his words.

"But then how did you know your name was--" muttered in a slightly muted manner before Solus cut her off.

He spoke of his past and his story. He spoke of sadness and loss and rejection and loneliness. 'Were all droids this dramatic?" she wondered to herself. She almost moved to comfort him as his voice and posture sunk into a depressed demeanor. But this was too weird. 

How do you console a being made of metal and wires? Do you pet it? Do you touch it? Do you speak to it? Do you offer it a treat? Or program it with a burst of happiness? Wait. Can you program happiness? What would the code for that look like?

As Solus stopped dead in his tracks, Aliss started to slow down, torn between keeping up with Lord Roshan and making sure that Solus was okay. This was all her fault, after all. She was the one who asked the dumb question. 

Spoiler

"You know why you failed, Aliss! What have I told you a million times! Keep your mind on the task at hand! Why can't you be more like Nomi?"

"But I can. I am focusing. I swear!"

"Funny. If that was the case, you wouldn't have been surpassed by someone 3 years younger than you!"

Her blood boiled a little thinking about Nomi and her past mistakes on Ishvara. This was yet another example of her not staying focused and causing trouble. As Solus began to lose his cool, panic began to encroach upon her normally stoic expression. She was sure Lord Roshan was going to be mad at her for this debacle.

Look what you started, Aliss! You idiot! ...

You idiot...

"... To give me life! To give me anything! I was alone! And broken! And nothing! I might as well have been nothing!”

THUD!

There was a special wide-eyed horror in her eyes as Solus' metal hands came in contact with the ground. Aliss quickly spun her head around to look at Roshan. It was even worse than she had thought. Instead of telling them off, he simply slumped over in silence.

Disappointment. Frustration. Failure.

She had not been on this new world for even an hour and she had already managed to find some way to be a failure yet again. As Roshan addressed them, her shoulders slouched. Her head fell slightly. She opened her mouth to speak.

It's all my fault. I know. I know. I. I. Swear.

The words were too familiar to speak. She just listened. But a voice in the distance interrupted Lord Roshan, giving Aliss a chance to regroup.

I'm not a failure. I. I swear! But I'm really not. I'm really not.

Her eyes watered a little at the thought. She was glad that she had the darkness to hide her face a little. But the weakness of her emotions still embarrassed her. Which made her even more angry. Her hands clenched tightly at her pant legs. She was no longer facing the Shard droid by the time he picked Tear back up. She was holding her breath so hard she felt like her head was about to explode before she finally allowed the air to escape her lips. Her breathing was labored but she closed her eyes and thought of her mom's smiles to calm her mind for a few seconds.

“Call me whatever our Lord desires. After all. We are his servants. And he is our lord.”

"If you two are done, we have company. And you'd be wise to keep up and shut up."

As Solus passed her, Aliss began walking again and caught up beside him. Thankfully, Lord Roshan had more important things to worry about right now than her mistakes.

"Yes. You are right, Soulless. I was foolish and let us get distracted. I am sorry," she replied quietly.

There was a momentary pause, but then she added, being careful to keep her voice at the level of a low susurration, "And I'm sorry about your family. I know how you feel. I lost everyone, too. But now you have me and Roshan."

She uttered that last part with a faint but soft smile before returning to a rather expressionless demeanor and turning her attention towards the mysterious stranger Lord Roshan was talking to. At this point they had both more or less caught up to him and by her count, it was three against one.

___
image.png.d030b7301b6e1818ed4c1aeae3e36ea9.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

"Anas buti zo grezmenes faejon va, Hisxis.."

The oversized Cathar shrugged in response, “Ar j'us zinot liepti nun aneu, mes seyyunr mezdi xis sayr yikyunr zinot zemas mes zinot tapti' kia tave nedro aikste.”

Spoiler

If you had told me otherwise, we would have left because that would have meant we had come to the wrong place.

With the figure still standing at a bit of a distance and the dust swirling around them, the moonlight gave little away as far as the creature’s features. It was clear that he wasn’t the most capable at avoiding flames and firey objects but beyond that, Lord Roshan wondered who he actually was. Focusing on the charred face, Roshan pondered the alien's race and place of origin. 

A Sith Master in disguise? A natural born Sith native to the planet? Did those even exist? Weren’t they extinct? Was he the last of his kind? Or are there more? What mysteries await us here on Pesegam? 

“J'us zenoti tave lirza, kad sis buti nie dits bauztipe latraha. J'us buti takjona, su yunoks katesi askal tu'iea vadinti..”

"Dary nenx tnisi tu'saen. Nu dary nenx svies tave khutrai nuo tu'iea cticsutr. Tik zo zioplys valia iezkon azinimas ir cali lauke armio svies sulig tave nayasa."

Spoiler

Don’t flatter yourself. I did not learn the language for your sake. Only a fool would seek knowledge and answers without also learning from the source.

Lord Roshan paused for a moment, his mind on the last half of the being’s sentence. This talk about their names and their merits. Before he could reply, however, the stranger added a few more words.

“.. Armijio. Ar sis buti tu'iea geida, na j'us nayir rajidona tu'saen stai ir dabar. Nuo j'us ir tu'iea idevoka, sekleti buti stuyi... Kam zodis j'us?”

Or where they threats?

"Nuyak lojafiee avitsasi kia Darth Hel ir tave Tsis. Ir mes valia nenx buti mazo sulo anuloti vi kia rajidona ant tave xuontai iv zo nur rihyr vstirze. Kia parod geiâ silpnuma valia nenx buti sefide iv zo Tsis. Kad mes valia kioska kalv ar anas feikti j'us kakpijs."

Spoiler

My loyalty belongs to Darth Hel and the Sith. And we will not be so easily defeated as to surrender on the commands of a nameless stranger. To show such weakness would not be fitting of a Sith. But we will stand down if that provides you comfort.

Not taking his eyes off the stranger but turning his head slightly and raising his voice so as to signal to the others with him, “We’ll gladly put away our weapons and desist from any hostilities towards our guide here. He may know of whom we seek.”

Aliss looked to Solus before putting away her lightsaber and assuming a less hostile posture. She is unsure of what the two were saying. Roshan taught her Echani but never the words of the "sacred ancients" as he always called them. Perhaps this alien was one of them. The whole exchange made her increasingly uneasy.

Roshan then returned to the Sith tongue and added, “Kad fasona nie vykti ra seniai mekn, zo Tsis dartovi nenx adata zo ardu'kardas ax zo macij milsura kia zudyti j'us ir jok mirazas kia tave drastâe buti ros j'us aukoti tu'saen zo krevas reiksme iv uzstafas. Ar nuyak hana buti nenx vi byloti ir nuyak redis buti nenx tiesa, mes valia nenx zinot zinot zo duryasligea sso visa.”

Spoiler

But make no mistake old man, a Sith does not need a lightsaber or a metal stick to kill you and any illusion to the contrary is simply you giving yourself a false sense of security. If my aims were not as spoken and my words were not true, we wouldn’t have had a conversation at all.

Placing his lightsaber back on the belt of his ancient sith armor, the Cathar adds, “Ar j'us naile tave gti iv mus na Nu nodi j'us zenoti iv deos mes iezkon. Kad ar j'us zenoti tave Tsis, na j'us zinot yunoks ais kia vulti ax rak mus j'us. Zhol valia nenx buti ao iv re aikste kia ctatebyu re meistras iv ane stuvtaga.”

Spoiler

If you fear the three of us then I doubt you know of which we seek. But if you know the Sith, then you have little reason to attack or nor us you. It would not be either of our places to deprive our masters of their property.

Lord Roshan realized that he was taking a bit of a gamble. He knew that his words could provoke the creature or dampen its “zeal” to assist them. But he had not forgotten the words of Malyss, a perspective of the Sith that his old Master had wholeheartedly endorsed once upon a time, so very long ago.

“...the Sith do not sit idly by waiting for fate to pull their strings and set them into action. The Sith are masters of their own futures. Masters of their own worlds. To be a Sith is to be a master of all things that surround and affect you."

He would not fear a stranger. He would not show weakness to a “nobody.” Only the weak hid who they were, and to hide one’s name and power and pretend to be weak was the trait of a slave of the Force, a Jedi. That’s why the Masters of the Sith never cowered behind homogeneous robes and the walls of tall buildings and the safety of their capital ships. Instead, they strode through the hallways, passageways, and battlefields in distinctive and easily identifiable armor, leading their soldiers on the frontlines. They wanted their enemies to know exactly where they were so that they could feel the fear of the darkside and the dread of their inevitable destruction as it consumed their hearts and buckled their knees.

If this being was truly a Sith Master, perhaps he would now drop his charade and unveiled his insinuations and comments. And if he wasn’t, perhaps he would see that Roshan meant business. 

When he left behind Ishvara, Lord Roshan had resolved in his heart that he would never again wait for the strings of fate to dictate his future and set him into action. He would take command and push his fate and the fate of his followers forward by his own actions. If his first test was slaying this guardian and he failed, so be it. At least he’d now know this creature’s true intentions. But if this was a true servant of a Sith Master, perhaps the alien would not so readily strike down a servant of Darth Hel and the Sith. As Lord Roshan saw it, that was for the creature's master to decide. Of course, whether the two would see things in the same light remained to be seen and with the dark energies of the planet swirling around them like nagging whispers on the wind, Lord Roshan couldn't deny that there was a part of him itching for battle.

___
image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

Lord Roshan:
At last, the charade was over. Roshan grinned slightly underneath his mask as he dropped to one knee and bowed his head.

“Allow me, my Lord, to speak to Helios. For I believe this being can help us, and if not, then I will fight on your behalf as the loyal child I am…”

Lord Roshan said nothing in reply. He would allow Solus the opportunity to speak for himself. Listening to his words, Roshan cringed a little. Solus was but a child in this world, literally. To Roshan, his words made him sound weak and naive. But perhaps that was unavoidable. There had been no real time to train him any further about the “world of worlds.” And perhaps weakness is proper when facing a Sith Master. He would have to learn these things on his own. As Solus finished, Roshan raised his head slightly and spoke.

“Master Helios, I am the one called Dhonarr Durose Roshan, apprentice of Darth Hel, amateur historian and philosopher of the Sith Order, student of Sith lightning and the most violent Sith arts, master of the echani arts, and servant of the Order. I do not apologize for overstepping my bounds. I had to be sure that you were not a Jedi or a fool posing as someone of power. But I submit to your punishment if necessary. You are the ones we came looking for. We do now submit as Solus says. We are yours to command, Master Helios.” 

___

image.png

Aliss Roshan:
Sir Aliss looked on in a mixture of abject shock and world-shattering horror as Lord Roshan bent the knee to the grotesque looking man. The man himself didn’t scare her. She had seen all sorts of disfigured faces before. After all, she had killed more than her share of people over her short life. But in all those years, regardless of the odds, she had never seen Lord Roshan bend the knee to anyone.

She couldn’t believe how much this had shaken her. It was like she was watching her god submit to a frail, wounded looking corpse of a man. It was like he was throwing away everything she had been taught. It was like she had now officially lost everything. Her friends. Her family. Her home. Her planet. Her god. Her universe.

Anger boiled inside her heart. She wanted to ignite her lightsaber and leap at the man. She wanted to kill him. She wanted to give her Lord back his godship. That was the one thing that she needed him to maintain. He had to have known that. She’d die for him to maintain that. Her world lost all meaning and coherency without it.

Admittedly, he had taught of a patron goddess Dominique that was powerful and wise and helped him to ascend. But this man was no such goddess. He was not larger than life or glowing with power or as tall and magnificent as the mountains of Neromar.

Aliss could see the hand behind Roshan’s back motioning for her to kneel as he and Solus finished speaking to the man. Defeated, Aliss dropped to her knees. Her body lurked forward and crumpled towards the ground, her hands now firmly planted on the dirt. Her fingers dug into the sand as she bowed her head downward, watching the small swirls of dust that flickered in the moonlight. Droplets of water began to capture little particles of sand, the sand hugging onto the moisture with all its might, desperate not to allow even the tiniest amount of this rare offering to escape. 

Aliss dare not raise her head. Part of her felt like she was absolutely overreacting. But she had given up everything. She had lost everything. She had done it all for him. She would have followed him to the ends of the universe. But until this moment, she had never really asked herself what he was. He was the god of Careth, god of the hunters, the flame, and the thunder, Lord of the Night, Lord and King of the Knights of Roshan.

Maybe she was being melodramatic and angsty. Her mother would undoubtedly have scolded her for her attitude.

"What does a scrawny, little 15 year old know of the world?"

"I'm almost 16, mom."

"Oh ho ho. Excuse me. Scrawny, little almost 16 year old."

"Mooomm. It's not funny. I'm serious!"

She imagined her mother's coy smile followed by her soft laughter. It was such a petite and gentle laugh. Those were probably the wrong words to use to describe a laugh. Aliss knew that. But they just fit for some reason. And the more she thought of her mom, the more pain she felt swelling inside her heart.

She had thought that they had angered her Lord. That all of this had been punished for their lack of piety. That everything up until this point had been deserved and their fault and a test of their loyalty. That she could possibly right things and maybe even, by some miracle, see her mom again. But for the first time, a terrifying thought crossed her mind. What if this beast had failed them. What if her god was no stronger than a man! Even worse, what if he was weaker?

___
image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

"..Come with me."

Rising from his kneeling position, Roshan waved on his companions without looking back. He was ready to leave the waiting and words and sand behind. There was training to be done. He only hoped that this Sith Master could be trusted. Only time would tell.

As they proceeded further, they reached a point where the human stopped in his tracks. Shaking quickly followed as the sands around them began to shift. At first, Lord Roshan thought that Helios might be doing all of this through the Force but he soon realized that he was using his staff to pull on some sort of hidden mechanism.

Smart. It should have guessed that there would be hidden facilities built within the landscape. It’s fortuitous that we found him when we did. But was it really luck? Or was it fate?

As the being closed his eyes and outstretched his hand, a thought rolled across Lord Roshan's mind. He immediately eyed Aliss and scowled. She moved her hand slowly away from the lightsaber that she was reaching for. Roshan continued to glare at her until the man began to move again, entering the cavernous hole.

Looking down into the deep, Lord Roshan looked back at Solus as the Shard awkwardly held Tear, “After you, Soulless.”

The truth was that he wasn’t being courteous. Part of him debated how a droid chassis of this shape, holding a Tut’aka no less, could traverse steps with any success. If Solus happened to go tumbling down, Roshan wanted not to be caught in the wake of such brutal folly. He had no idea how far such a fall might be or how much it would hurt.

One way or another, the group eventually began to follow Helios with Lord Roshan now bringing up the rear. A few more minutes and the pathway led them to something rather unexpected.

Life. Lots of it. Even with the night well underway, Roshan could see the movement of creatures of various species below them. There was something about the location that reminded him a little of his home on Ishvara. In a strange way, it reminded him of who he missed and what he had lost.

"Roshan, Solus, Aliss. What do you see?" 

Roshan eyed his surroundings as he followed Master Helios. He took it all in for a moment, carefully examining the movements of the “villagers” and their market. Aliss, however, didn’t need any more time to formulate an answer.

“Enemies. Competition. Strange ants that we don’t know and I don’t trust.”

Roshan sighed as he shook his head, “You’ll have to excuse the girl, Master Helios. She spent her entire life on Ishvara...”

Aliss glared back at Lord Roshan, the intensity of her look shocking him a bit. Something was clearly up with her. He had known her since she was little. This wasn't just her trying to be a brat. However, now was not the time to address whatever it was that she was upset about. So instead, Lord Roshan decided to ignore her stare and resume speaking.

“I see legacy. Something forged likely through hard labor, if not slave labor, that will probably outlive us all. I see players, cogs if you will, mosts likely doing their part and performing their roles. And more importantly, I see knowledge and opportunity. Old things often hide knowledge long forgotten. Old ‘magics’ more powerful in the hands of the worthy than most will ever know or actualize.”

Making sure that Solus had had a chance to say its peace, Lord Roshan then added, “Undoubtedly, you’ve been her countless times, Master Helios. But tell us. What do you see?”

___
image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Roshan:

Roshan watched the distracted "shardbot" with a bit of a scowl. It was rude of him to get distracted but he likely wasn’t used to interacting with people in the real world. After all, he, Aliss, and now Master Helios were the only people Solus knew. Roshan held his tongue. If Master Helios wanted to chastise him for talking to strangers than he could do so. Otherwise, they would wait. Fortunately, they did have to wait long before Solus caught back up with the group and Master Helios answered Roshan’s question.

"I believe what we look for, gives birth to what we see, and I see a wildfire brewing."

Fitting that he would use a fire analogy. I should have guessed.

Roshan grinned to himself a little, realizing he was still wearing his mask. He hesitated for a second, almost raising his hand to remove it before quickly stopping himself. He may have been in semi-friendly company at the moment, but he couldn’t speak for the other strangers. Of course, Helios confirmed that he had good reason not to.

"There is no need to excuse the fair lady, she is right not trust these people. They do not trust you, and now they know just how to spot you...”

As Helios painted a vivid picture of their villainy, Roshan unconsciously shrugged. He had seen worse and survived worse of Ishvara. If they were itching for a fight, he’d be more than happy to unite them with the other humans he had slain over the last decade.

As the group followed Master Helios through the market crowd, Roshan allowed his eyes to wander, making mental notes of what each stand had to offer while scanning the crowd every so often just in case someone intended to do them harm. As the crowds began to brush against their party more and more, Roshan slid his hands down to his waist and placed them firmly on his lightsabers. It wasn’t that he was worried about having to use them. He was more suspicious of others attempting to steal them. There was always something different about a thief. Maybe it was the way they smelled or stood or the pheromones they gave off, but Roshan could always spot them and this marketplace was full of more than its fairshare.

As they pushed on, Lord Roshan followed in silence. The “kids” whispered and prattled in the background and Solus took every opportunity to draw attention to their group, but perhaps that was just as well. At least the onlookers would now see them with and know that they were with Master Helios. If Helios was truly a powerful Sith Master, he’d definitely strike fear into this cast of degenerates, thieves, and scoundrels. 

Once they finally came to a stop, Roshan examined the building they had entered. It was nothing special, perhaps even more mundane than many of the modest rooms of worship back on Ishvara. Maybe Helios was religious and looking to bless their journey before they headed any further? Roshan doubted it. Nothing with the Sith was ever that straightforward or simple. No, there had to be something more here than met the eye. A lesson, a clue, a story? Of course, as Roshan looked around, Solus continued to participate in his favorite pastime: talking.

“Darth Helios, this place...this is an alter correct? That implies this is a place of worship. But what is it that we worship? Don’t you, as a god in this world of worlds, control things like the Force? Why worship something else?” 

Roshan turned to look at Solus as the Cathar removed his mask. His eyebrow raised upon hear the full question.

How does he know it's an altar? When has he seen an altar before? Or learned of worship for that matter? Was he built with a database that the Shard can access and learn from? Was he reading the database while they were in transit? Or was it mentally linked to his mind the moment he was “awaken”? What other mysteries might it contain?

In those moments, Lord Roshan realized that he still knew so little about Solus and its origins or the design of its chassis and its abilities and purpose. Part of him wanted answers but part of him didn’t want to tip his hand. After all, it seemed that Solus believed that Lord Roshan was actually the maker and awakener of Solus and its droid body. And while Roshan had neither confirmed or denied such an idea, it seemed like a useful falsehood not to shatter. For all he knew, it might come in handy down the road if Solus’ loyalty to Lord Roshan was ever tested.

Turning to Master Helios, Roshan was curious to hear the Sith’s answer. Of course, Aliss, it seemed, had a different plan.

___

image.png

Aliss Roshan:

When the stranger first approached Solus and Tear and began asking questions, Aliss glared menacingly at the interloper. It was an odd creature, unlike anything that she had ever seen.

But who is he to think he has the right to approach any of us! 

Aliss’ eyes shifted abruptly to one side, now resting on the overly friendly droid and his pet. A look of confusion colored her face.

What is he doing? Didn’t his... welll... doesn’t he know not to... welllll.

Aliss suddenly turned to Lord Roshan with a bit of a disappointed head bob.

“You forgot to teach him not to talk to strangers, didn’t you?”

Roshan squinted his eyes at her from underneath his mask, “I don’t appreciate your tone, young lady.”

Aliss rolled her eyes and huffed a little. Turning back in Solus’ direction, she pulled her lightsaber from her belt and began to march towards the trio. Fortunately, she didn’t have to go far. It would seem that the alien got the hint because he rather abruptly ended the conversation and said his goodbyes to Mr. Solus. As they parted, Aliss made a mental note of the being's name.

Kirrinisha. I will remember that. If anything happens to use while we are here, Kirrinisha, I will hunt you down and you will pay.

As Solus hurriedly caught back up to everyone else, Aliss waited for him with her hands on her hips.

“Ah please Roshan, don’t be mad. Don’t be mad. What am i saying, of course he’ll be mad...ah kriff...still, that being. Such a lovely voice. But potions? What the heck are those? And what's alchemical ingredients…clearly I’ll have to ask the others about those…”

Roshan seemed to ignore Solus, ready to move on. Aliss, however, yapped at him in angry bursts of whisper.

What was that! Don’t you know! Strangers are dangerous! You don’t talk to random strangers! And potions? Like magical elixirs and stuff? Or like Soul weapon--”

Her whispers were suddenly interrupted of by Helios’ answer to Lord Roshan’s question. He basically just agreed with what she said. And of course, she was right. She had been raised well. Roshan was a masterful warrior. But her mother had trained her well and Rose always knew best when it came to life skills. 

Rose. I miss you, mom.

In fact, the music coming from the market corners reminded Aliss of her mother all the more so. Her mother had always been a talented musician, limber dancer, and lover of song. It was how Aliss used to get to sleep when she was little. No matter how tough things were or how bad things got, her mother’s voice always made everything alright. She shuddered at the thought of never hearing that voice again.

No...

She couldn’t allow that to happen. Her mother’s body was not found among the dead. She was most likely taken as a slave. And if she was, that meant that if Aliss got strong enough she could return to Ishvara some day and free her. She knew what she had to do.

Aliss fell back a little bit to remain within earshot of Solus as Helios lead them through the crowded streets. She listened in silence as Solus continued to rant to himself. She found his rambling mostly pointless. But he did, however, manage to get a little giggle out of her when he did his Tuk’ata impression. She didn’t know why exactly she found it so funny, but those sound effects coming out of his vocabulator throughoutly amused her for whatever reason.

“Heh...these beings will fear me soon enough. And Lord Roshan will be happy. And Sir Aliss.” 

Aliss rolled her eyes and chuckled a little, “Soulless, how about you worry about keeping up first.”

As they entered one of the local building, Aliss looked around, casually examining and touching things. It was not until Solus spoke that her attention turned back to the droid. Before Helios could reply to his question, Aliss was quick to add her take.

“Of course he controls the Force, silly! Both of them do! But what do you think Sith holy croms and Force Spirits are! This isn’t our final form if you become powerful enough! It might be yours, though, if you don’t have a soul. I think you need a soul to become a Force ghost,” she concluded, glancing in Master Helios' direction for confirmation.

Truth be told, she found Solus to be a walking contradiction at times. He somehow didn't know what alchemy and potions were but knew about worship and altars? His programming clearly must have been faulty. It was anybody's guess if he knew what a holy crom or a Force ghost even was.

But if nothing else... I guess... at least I tried. He means well, but Mr. Helios has his work cut out for him with this one.

____

image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

• 2 weeks later...

Aliss frowned at the Sith’s chiding but Lord Roshan was unsurprised. He was more than happy to let the Sith do the talking as he examined the inscriptions of the altar. Before long, the group was moving once again. This time, however, they found themselves traveling down a series of steps that lead into a cave-like basement. Aliss shivered a little, rubbing her arms a little as Master Helios came to a stop. After a brief speech, it was clear that this was intended to be their new living quarters for the time being. Roshan couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow. It was a curious location, indeed. But defensible at the very least it would seem.

As Master Helios concluded, he added, “Do not lay a finger on this, I warn you only this once." 

The only true lightsource in the room, the small holocron’s red glow added a general ambience to the center of the room. It wasn’t exactly an aura of an ominous nature or one of passion or fury. It was an odd feeling. A familiar feeling, all the same. One that tickled the hairs on the back of Roshan’s neck while warmingly embracing him at the same time. The darkside was such a fickle mistress.

“Well...this is different.”

Roshan turned away from Aliss for a moment as he stared at Solus’ glowing eyes. He shrugged.

“Yup.”

“Lord Roshan, I must say, this darkness is... not exciting per se, but interesting... Before you ascended me, I had known nothing. This blackness, this...thing… It's something that I hadn’t known before. In my state before ascension, I knew the void. I knew nothingness. I knew…oblivion. This...blackness...this darkness, yes, is something that I had not known before… for this is truly something. Even if it's just a curtain over everything else, it is something...”

As Aliss edge closer and closer to the holocron, Roshan snapped at her, “Aliss! Get over here now! Leave the artifact alone!”

It was hard to make out much else in this room outside of the centralized glow of the object. Roshan knew that he could ignite his lightsabers to give him a better chance to examine the room but from what he had seen when they arrived, there really wasn’t much to see or examine. The trip itself had been long, the trek seemingly even longer. He welcomed a moment of shuteye at this point, although he was not thrilled about their current choice of location.

“It’s...amazing. I truly am in a fantastic world, where the wonders of both shadow and light can be shared in one place. How great it is to be ascended to such a plane, where magnificent wonders are trivial fragments of something truly extraordinary.”

With Aliss backed away from the holocron and Solus examining the walls, his companions all but disappeared into the darkness. This left Roshan with a sense of visual calm as the force ebbed and flowed and occasionally spiked around him. He focused his mind on it, falling into an almost meditative state as Solus spoke.

“Lord Roshan...how do you think we will be tested?”

Breaking the silence, Roshan replied with his eyes still closed and his breathing steady, “Of course. Sith love their tests. They love to show off their superiority. They love to hide their secrets and play their games and tempt their enemies and allies alike. I’m sure the holocron in the middle of the room is probably a test itself. Do we seek its knowledge or do we obey the master and deprive ourselves of it? Perhaps you can examine the walls for inscriptions or anything that might shed more ‘light’ on our situation or the artifact left here...”

As the Cathar finished his last sentence, his eyes propped open. They slid in the direct of the holocron. Aliss was once again standing in front of it, staring at it longingly. Lord Roshan frowned.

Girl, did you not hear me the first time!”

Aliss turned back in the direction of the darkness, her face partially hidden in shadows, “You said it yourself. This is a test. Holy croms are valuable and powerful. You’ve always said as much. If this was a cache, we would have taken it and left already!”

Soulless, can you grab this girl before she does something stupid to jeopardize us all,” Roshan sighed as he started to rise to his feet, before looking back towards Aliss. This is not a treasure hunt, Aliss! We are trying to gain training to become something far more powerful than simple grave robbers. Stop goofing around and join the rest of us. We need to set up a watch schedule and figure out...”

Having heard enough, Aliss moved her hand over to the object and grabbed it. She did not want to give the Shard or Roshan a chance to reach her or stop her. If this was indeed a test, she wanted to be the one rewarded by passing it. And as far as she was concerned, the answers and that reward must have been hidden away inside this tiny little object. Why else would it be calling out to her?

___
image.png  image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Roshan:
As the two collided and the room began to transform, Lord Roshan could hear a rumble from above. Darting towards the stairs, he looked up in time to see their access way close. He whispered curses under his breath. Perhaps he could attempt to cut through the exit with his lightsaber if worse came to worse, but they had bigger immediate problems to deal with. He was reminded just how much he hated babysitting. Unfortunately, there were no females available to tend to the children.

Turning back, he watched as the fiery words began to scrawl on the walls. The dialect wasn’t immediately familiar. He figured perhaps that it was high sith or perhaps something different entirely. What alarmed him more was the movement of the holocron itself. Although Aliss was no longer holding it, she had clearly activated. They were trapped and whatever trial awaited them was about to play out, for better or worse.

Making sure that his mask was firmly secured on his face, Roshan unclipped his red lightsaber as he cautiously approached the group. The clouds forming around them seemed ominous to say the least.

Aliss:
Crushed and enraged, Aliss attempted to use the holocron to hit the metal monstrosity pinning her down. The fool had surely made matters worse. After a few useless blows, Aliss dropped it and attempted to reach for the lightsaber at her side.

Of course, she was quickly distracted by the decorative “writing of the gods” that danced across the pit’s walls. “What secrets might they hold,” she thought to herself as they swirled and exploded across the room, illuminating everything in their path. This was the knowledge of the ancients that “holy croms” kept hidden for their seekers of truth to find. She had been right, after all!

Distracted for only a moment, Aliss returned to fighting with Solus in an attempt to get the buffoon off and away from her completely. She could hear Tear hissing in the background.

Clearly, even he doesn’t approve of his master’s shortsighted and malicious actions!

“Tear, not now, please, I ca-”

In spite of her best efforts, however, the droid chassis was too heavy and too powerful. It was not the first time that she had been overpower. It was not the first time that someone had pinned her down or threatened her life. Summoning all the anger and exasperation and passion and energy she could muster into one focused outburst, Aliss’ eyes and the veins around her neck seemed to protrude outward as her haunting screams of rage echoed and rattled against the cavernous walls.

And then suddenly, the next thing Aliss knew, her metallic oppressor was gone.

Roshan:
Lord Roshan looked on with a touch of surprise and confusion as the forms of smoke solidified into bipedal masses with large gangly arms and hulking bodies adorned with spikes and tusks.

Is the holocron a Totem of Familiars? 

He had read stories of such items from several sources over the past couple decades. In fact, at one point he had even attempted to acquire one from a Sith cache hidden in the Ishvaran “badlands.” Needless to say, that adventure had been a wild goose chase that he eventually gave up on. Some caches simply weren’t meant to be found and others simply never existed in the first place. That was the life of a grave robbing, cache raiding, student of the Force turned cult leader and “demi-god.”

Having lost sight of the forms in the darkness, Roshan could make out little more than Solus’ eyes and Tear’s growls. Stepping backwards, the backside of his cape became dimly illuminated by the etchings on the wall behind him. He still had yet to ignite his lightsaber, knowing that doing so would make himself a target and remove any element of surprise he might hope he still had.

Here goes nothing.

As the solid beam of red light fired upwards, the colors danced across the tusks of a Nydak that was actually within spitting distance of Roshan and already in mid-swing. Lord Roshan winced in preparation of its blow, knowing that it would arrive before he’d even have the chance to parry or dodge. His last thought in that moment was turning off his lightsaber and holding on to it for dear life.

SMASH!

The creature’s unusually agile strike hurled Roshan into the wall behind him. Colliding with it at an angle, he skidded across it before hitting the ground and rolling a few more feet. Coming to rest on his back, he fired back on his lightsaber and rolled again.

THUD, THUD, THUD!

Just narrowly rolling out of the way of the monster’s ground pound, Roshan popped back up and quickly got to his fighting stance. He thanked his Echani training that the monster wasn’t the only combatant here that knew how to be agile and light on his feet.

With the lightsaber’s glow providing him with some much needed visibility, Roshan stared down the creature. Now with a little distance between the two of them again, he waited for it to come back into the light. He could see the faint twitching of its muscles at it growled. Calming his mind, Roshan focused on the flow of the force around him.

3... 2... 1...

Suddenly, it lunged in at Roshan with terrifying quickness, giving him barely enough time to roll out of the way of its haymaker-like swing. Hitting the ground, Roshan tumbled to his right and rolled back upright. His right heel was now planted firmly against the rock floor.

The creature’s swipes were too sweeping and too powerful to easily dodge or successfully parry at this range. And as long as he remained at a distance, the darkness and the reach of the creature gave it all the advantages. He would have to close the gap. He wasn’t going to allow the creature to take another leap at him.

There is no room for fear! There is only power! To harness the power of the Force, there must be no weakness! 

Despite his size, Roshan’s feet felt like they were gliding on clouds as he rapidly charged the beast. There was hunger in the monster’s eyes. Roshan watched its muscles twitch as it recoiled its arm to strike a killing blow.

The darkside is my heart. 

The seconds lingered as Roshan held his breath. He could see the swing coming. He knew he had to stand tall and use his lightsaber as a light source until the last possible second. The creature’s body pivoted and twisted as its angled and sweeping strike came at him in a slightly downward motion.

My lightsabers are my hands.

At the last possible second, Roshan flipped his lightsaber upside down and dropped into a sliding motion. The creature had to readjust the arc of its swing but it was too late. As Roshan slid by, he twisted his body towards the ground as if he was attempting to plant himself face first against the floor. This not only sunk him under the swing but also stuck the lightsaber in his hands straight up into the air. As it connected with the fleshy part of the creature’s forearm and lopped it off with brutal efficiency, the beast snarled in pain. But Roshan knew he had no time to gloat.

Using the wall to abruptly stop his slide, he forcefully pushed off the ground with his free hand. The monster was already cocking back for another swing with its last remaining arm. Of course, Roshan had hoped for as much from this feral beast. 

Close enough to smell its breath, Roshan made an upward scooping motion with his lightsaber as the second swing came in his direction. The upside down blade caught the creature just above the elbow and sliced upwards, leaving its fleshly amputated limb to bounce off the wall and flop across the ground. Not losing a single step, Roshan used his momentum to pivot on his left heel and turn his back slightly towards the creature. In one continuous motion, the Cathar also leaned forward and locked his elbow while rapidly scooping back downward in the monster’s direction.

With the creature already half-falling and half-biting at him, his underhanded blade caught the Nydak right between where its neck met its jaw and seared through the fleshy matter of its brain. Feeling the momentum of the Nydak corpse now falling towards him, Roshan powered off his lightsaber to quickly dislodge it and shifted hard downward, using the momentum of his free arm and the lean he already had to rush his body into a final barrel roll and clear the corpse’s “splash zone” completely.

My wrath is my power!

Catching his breath, Roshan reignited his lightsaber and looked around. He had been so focused in on the enemy in front of him that he had lost track of everything else that was happening, not that he could have probably made out too much with all the shadows shrouding the room in darkness and danger.

___
image.png  image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

• 2 weeks later...

Roshan:
No sooner had he killed the monster he was fighting, when the true threat revealed itself. He could hear a female voice as her enchantments echoed off the cavernous walls. It was not any dialect he was familiar with. But within the blink of an eye the woman managed to surprise and quickly down one of the grotesque creatures. 

"Aliss, zeuritou nouliqo xo xo!" Roshan bellowed in Echani.

Roshan's lightsaber remained drawn as he turned his focus to the new arrival. He stood at attention, ready to strike if necessary. Her arrival concerned him greatly as she seemed much more powerful than their group. If this was a test, it was not going to be an easy one. But if she was some sort of Force ghost, she definitely had quite the solid look to her.

“Lord Roshan…”

“Lord Roshan, was that a test? A test of combat? If so, then I believe we passed. But who was that? Who was that being that helped us?”

Roshan turned to Solus, the worry in his eyes reflected by the glow of his red lightsaber.

"I do not know. I have not quite ran into a holocron quite like this one before. But she may be part of the test. I'd suggest you fall back to me. It will be hard for her to manifest behind us if we are against a solid wall."

Aliss:

It had taken Aliss a moment to gain her bearings. As it turned out, it was not the "holy crom" that had given her any special powers. Rather, a snarling, slobbery beast that had formed right above her and flung Solus off of her. Aliss froze for a moment as she first eyed the holocron beside her. Then the monster above her. It seemed to be watching its "brothers" engage the other two. But as her hands crept towards the device, the monster paused for a second before sniffing and dropping its eyes in Aliss' direction. Her own eyes grew wide as she swiped the holocron and rolled!

The ground shook a little as the creature narrowly missed her and connected with the rock floor. Aliss hurried to her feet and pocketed the holocron just before she took a massive swipe across her body. Launched through the air, Aliss sailed several feet behind colliding with a stone wall and collapsing to the ground. She was a little dizzy and her body hurt all over. She tried to catch her breath. She could hear the roar and screams of the monsters in the distance.

Get up, Aliss. Get up! It's coming! Get up!

She struggled to move. The cool touch of the ground felt unusually comfortable in that moment.

Maybe I should lie here for just a few more...

"Aliss, zeuritou nouliqo xo xo!"

The irritated and forceful nature of Lord Roshan's command triggered a sense of fear and adrenaline that snapped her out of her delusion.  Looking up, she could see the glow of Roshan's lightsaber and almost instinctively scrambled towards it, ignoring the throbbing pain she felt along the backside of her body. Moving beside him, she reached for her lightsaber but Roshan's hand motioned for her to hold her position and wait for order. She knew the drill. She was ready to strike if called upon. But as he engaged with Solus, she was almost certain of it. Her lord was cautiously curious about whoever this "she" he spoke of was. Aliss looked around puzzled, trying to find the mystery female in amongst the shadowy and uneven mixture of glowing words and pockets of dense blackness.
___
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan
  • Like 1

With his lightsaber still on and the room dimming as the excitement waned, the woman came more into view. She was pretty for a human. The type of beauty that was more worthy of a prized mistress of a harem than a Mandalorian Princess. But he had known enough Sith females in the past to know better than to underestimate them based on their looks. That was especially true of this one. The way she moved reeked of danger in the way that a sweet smelling poison might be passed off as a perfume until your body lie twitching on the floor.

"...Haven't you heard the saying about curiosity, my dear Kitten?"

Roshan gave her a hard roll of his eyes from underneath his mask. Humans always thought they were so clever, as if they were the first one to come up with such a silly expression or as if he hadn't heard it from literally hundreds of humans. Cathar weren't even cats. It was like telling a monkey joke to a human and snickering. Roshan smiled back at her from underneath his mask.

"Well aren't you a cheeky monkey."

"Forgive my manners. I am Lady Sirena. As far as the Holocron, the test was to resist, not touch it. But Master Helios was never one for all the details and preferred his students to play with fire. And don't worry. I'm not part of it, that is, unless you want to get burnt." 

Roshan looked knowingly down towards Aliss. She was still beside him but had slumped to one knee and was using her free arm to hold herself up as she leaned forward to catch her breath. That blow from the beast had clearly hurt her fragile humanoid body.

"I figured as much. But you'll have to forgive the girl's opprobrium. You know humans. Always monkeying around. She couldn't help herself," he shrugged, speaking in a tone that danced the line between playful and mocking.

“That certainly makes me happy to hear...Lady Sirena. This here is Lord Roshan..."

Roshan waved casually at the mention.

"We are his children. Sir Aliss… So sorry about that Sir Aliss. Let me help you..."

Aliss pulled away from the shardbot, keeping her head down half out of the embarrassment of being chided and mocked by everyone present and half because she was still angry at the abomination for violently subduing her only moments earlier.

"Leave me alone," she replied sharply. "I'm fine, Soulless."

"And I am Solus, Lady Sirena. Solus the Ascended. And he is Tear..."

"If you, Lady Sirena, are not part of the test, then why are you here? Are you a person who uses what Darth Helios calls ‘the wicked flame’? Surely you are some sort of deity, for that energy that crackled from your fingertips was godlike.”  

Roshan sighed. He had taught Solus a bad habit. It was endearing to have Solus think of Lord Roshan as a deity. Perhaps even an appropriate assessment under the circumstances of its ascension. What's more, the evident deity of Lord Roshan had been the basis of his Knights and his Ishvaran cult. But that cult had been made up of ordinary humans and aliens that rarely ran into other Force Users or had people around to teach them how to use the Force. They were primitives easily impressed and easily subdued. Comparing himself to a god or demi-god was simply a force of habit. But now that they were in the midst of a camp of Force sensitive beings, it was like bringing a cave dwelling humanoid to visit some sort of heavenly pantheon.  They were now inevitably bound to stop every two minutes for him to fawn over this deity and that deity and gush over this power and that power and this parlor trick and that parlor trick. She had done nothing to warrant such attention. She can mist around. So fancy. Such a great ability if no one graps a hand-held fan and blows her away. Roshan rolled his eyes.

"Yes. Excuse its ramblings. But Soulless does bring up a very good point. If you are what and who you say you are, why are you here? I have my doubts that Darth Helios simply asked you to stop on by out of the kindness of your heart to drop us by some blue milk and cookies."

____
image.png&image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan
  • Haha 1

"But they're so delicious."

Lord Roshan couldn't help but be somewhat amused that she had actually brought some sort of cookie-based concoction with her. For a "Sith Lord," she was surprisingly silly and playful. Which made him trust her even less.

"But you're right. I do have ulterior motives for being here. And no, Darth Helios doesn't know I followed the four of you here, at least not in the sense that he asked."

Roshan nudged Aliss with his leg. When she looked up to him he offered his free hand and pulled her to her feet.

"I was curious about the three of you. I wanted to know the potential that each of you held and if you would be worthy Apprentices to poach."

Roshan wanted badly to fold his arms and interrogate her. But he had seen what she had done earlier and they were not safe. She said that this wasn't a test and she wasn't sent by Helios but lies are always easier to pass off as truth to the "new kids in town." His lightsaber would remain lit for the time being and he retained a semi-casual stance that could give him the flexibility to drop into an attack stance in a moment's notice.

"Let's say I was to believe you, which I don't. You made one simple mistake, my dear primate. You referred to the ascended soulless one as 'the Crystalline.' But as you can see, his chassis is solid and looks just like any other ancient Hutt security droid, albeit a bit more 'handy'," Roshan began as he tapped on the shard's metal chassis. It sounded a touch more hollow than he expected, which caught him a bit off guard but he continued anyway, "Sure. Maybe you sensed that it was Force sensitive. I'd question whether you'd assume that you were getting a false echo or just think you were picking up the presence of organic force users like Aliss and myself. After all, it's impossible for a droid to be Force Sensitive. And it is not some common part of Sith history that such a thing like Soulless exists. Believe me. Darth Hel had be spend extensive time reading her Sith library during my training. And even if you've heard stories of something like him in some random ancient journal, his kind in such a form would have to be so extremely rare that such an assumption would be no less than wildly assumptive and unbelievably brilliant guesswork on your part. So your familiarity with our situation denotes purpose or much more extensive spying than you've lead on or both."

Pausing, Lord Roshan adopted a much more aggressive stance as the red light of his lightsaber better illuminated the Sith's face. He watched her reactions carefully as he finished his deductive argument.

"You act is cute, human. You clearly excel at humor, wit, and improvisation," the Cathar adds with a hint of sarcastic emphasis placed on the "wit" portion of the sentence. "But we've seen through this monkey business. Why are you really here? How do you know Darth Helios? Do you work for him? Are you two finally done with your tests and ready to train us? Or would you like for us to play more games for your amusement?"

___
image.png 

Edited by Durose Roshan

Roshan grinned underneath his mask. He had gotten the woman to drop her charade, if only for a second. Of course, he was impressed by her knowledge when she spoke. But he had perhaps poked a spot of irritation and he was interested in poking it a little more as she seemed determined to continue to use her animal euphemisms.

"... the Iron Knights of old where a race known as Shards were placed within Droids, including their Force Sensitives."

"Well I'll be a monkey's uncle," Roshan muttered to Aliss, feigning shock.

He spoke just loud enough that the Sith woman could possibly hear him but he directed the comment to the girl beside him. Aliss frowned a little at him, unfamiliar with the phrase. She then shock her head before looking back at the woman.

"One was even told of having been defeated by the infamous General Grevious during the Clone Wars."

"Yup. Lord Primate Kitten is my new name," he mumbled for what good lowering one's voice did inside these enclosed walls of stone.

His "Lord Primate Kitten" comment actually got a little bit of a chuckle out of Aliss before she rolled her eyes at Roshan and again shook her head. Whether Lady Sirena was phased by his chatter or not, the woman added what Roshan assumed was the "hint" of a threat as she concluded her history lecture.

"But enough of the History Lessons. I have not lied. I came to see your mettle against Darth Helios's task and to see your potential, to understand your passions, your sins. And if you want to know how I know him, you can ask him yourselves, and then ask him why one of my arms is a prosthetic."

"Let me guess. You aren't just a pretty face. You'll have to forgive me, your Sithness. Obscure races and an obscure orders of Knights that existed a long time ago are not my specialty. General Grievous I'm somewhat familiar with. He was the famous jedi killing droid, right? Droid history never really interested me and the rise of the Empire was well before my time so I only know the general facts and major battles of that time period. I did study a little bit extra on Darth Sidious and Darth Vader and their inquisitors because such Sith wisdom and brilliance and subject matters like that do interested me. But I imagine you have access to much better archives than that of Darth Hel or Kamino or the scraps on Ishvara. I look forward to perusing them. I truly do," Roshan paused just long enough to attempt to read her expression but short enough to cut of anyone else before they interrupted him. 

"That said, it would seem I was not entirely wrong that you've been following us for some time. That adds up. And you are correct, of course. It is a Shard. It is Force Sensitive. And it is a weapon of the darkside. Plucked from among a pile of useless ones and given new purpose."

Truth be told, Roshan wanted to verbally joust a bit further with the woman. Perhaps he was just bored, but he was curious to see what she could do. With his Sith armor on, she might ruin his cape but he doubted that this "wicked flame" could penetrate his armor any easier than ordinary fire. He might get burned but he doubted he'd end up like Darth Vader unless she lit the whole room on fire or something. Of course, maybe it was called "the wicked flame" for more reasons than simply melodramatic sensationalism.

But then again, Sith weren't above melodramatic sensationalism. Some would argue that they thrived on it. After all, how would it look if a fellow student was like, "Hey! Look at this awesome lightning I can now shoot from my fingers and strike down a room full of enemies, droids and fleshlings alike! Amazing right!" and you are like, "Well, well... I... I can shoot flames... and turn into smoke! So... so... ha!" Recruitment for passing on your teachings might be slim.

Roshan chuckled to himself a little as he entertained the thought, his eyes slightly glazing over but his subconscious still attentive to the woman's movements. He was ready to snap back into action at a moments notice if he needed to. He still did not believe her to be entirely friendly or trustworthy.

Of course, as Roshan finished speaking, Aliss looked to Solus and then to the Sith lady. She was a bit surprised that Solus was so quiet. He normally talked new people's ears off. She wasn't surprised by Roshan's responses, though. She was used to his wordy and often invective manner. But she was determined to use this sudden break in Lord Roshan's latest "harangue" to ask the question she had been wondering since the woman first introduced herself.

"So does that mean you can teach us how to use the holy croms and unlock the powers inside like Lord Roshan and Darth Helios have?"

____
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

Roshan watched the Shard curiously out of the corner of his eye. It was clearly thinking about something. The way it seemed to be moving, one might even mistake it for thinking hard.

"The Cathar thinks me pretty? Perhaps I should rub his belly later?"

Perhaps surprisingly, Lord Roshan didn't have a clever reply or witty retort for the woman this time around. Nevertheless, he was mostly unphased and content with what he had said so far and how they conversation and developed, at least until Aliss spoke up. Lord Roshan couldn't help but catch his forehead with the palm of his hand and shake it a little. He felt like red-skinned child's comments made their group all look rather amateurish. But then again, he could only expect so much from a girl that had yet to even see her 16th birthday. Not to mention that she was not supposed to be his prized pupil. No, little Aliss was never supposed to be a possessor of such knowledge. She had fate to thank this sudden opportunity. Perhaps the Force knew something he didn't, and perhaps that is what worried Roshan the most about this whole situation. The Force was something to be subdued, not allowed to run wild, and surely not something to guide destinies and be trusted farther than you could throw your enemies with it.

"Holocrons are mere tools for recording teachings and philosophy. What I can teach you is the power to open them without setting their security feature off and you not end up dead."

Roshan sighed a little as he nodded at her response. She wasn't saying anything entirely clever but she wasn't wrong either. Roshan's train of thought, of course, was broken when Solus suddenly spoke up out of nowhere.

“Yes great Lady Sirena! Surely if you are able to produce energy from your...lovely hands...then you must be great enough to train one of us! Provided you found us worthy, yes? I hope our trial of restraint that evolved into a trial of combat proved that at least one of us are worthy of apprenticeship? "

Roshan could see Aliss glaring at the Shardbot. Lord Roshan was actually impressed, of course.

Was the weapon of Roshan showing a touch of ambition?

"Yes. I can impart my knowledge to all three of you, but only you can do what you will with it. It's up to each one of you how powerful of Apprentices you become."

Roshan nodded at the woman, satisfied with her reply.

"Very well, Lady Sirena. You see to check out. Would you like to teach us these things now or is there somewhere you'd like us to meet you in the morning? I'm not thrilled to be sleeping her but we all have to rest sooner or later."

___
image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

“Well Lord Roshan, it seems we got what we came for here, yes? We wanted a teacher, yes? Now we have not one but potentially two to choose from! Darth Helios, while very, er, would strict be the right word? Whatever the word, his burns are certainly fascinating, and a teacher in pain I suspect he is. What knowledge he might hold! Yes, yes... he has offered to train us. But there is now also Lady Sirena!  How lovely she is. Her prosthetic arm, her feminine looks… Is that the right wording? Anyways, she also has power. That energy...so godlike!”

Roshan nodded in reply, still in silent contemplation. Lady Sirena intrigued him. His previous master was a female Sith Lord. He was not opposed to serving another. The fact that neither Sith Lord seemed very successful at keeping themselves in one piece worried Roshan a little. But his primary focus was on expanding his abilities. He wasn't going to press the issue or claim the status of Sith Lord for himself. He would hid among the apprentices and bide his time. It had been well over a decade since his original training and the life he had subsequently made on Ishvara. The galaxy had passed him by in that time and the great Sith Lords of his day that he once knew were had now passed into legend. He did not know much about this new leadership, their objectives, or their teachings.

This was a whole new Sith Empire and Lord Roshan had decided shortly after his arrival planetside that the best way to learn about these masters and how this generation of Sith operated was to keep his head down and draw as little attention to himself as possible. Having Solus and Aliss with him made it rather easy. They both seemed so eager to hog the spotlight that he'd have little trouble remaining an afterthought. Whether he would decided to adopt this generation's philosophies and truly call this place home remained to be seen. But at least this was a start.

“Yes, yes...this is truly good, yes? Having options? And this place!”

"Sure. Options can be nice. And I guess--"

“This place is magnificent! Those people out there are suspicious, except that lovely being with the voice….oooh what a voice. I could listen to that voice for a long time...and there is so much available for us! Perhaps there is more information to get from here…”

Roshan chuckled a little at Solus excitement.

"I mean... I don't know if I'd go that far. I've seen better.

“But Lord Roshan...who are we to follow? Lady Sirena at the Valley of the Sith Lords? Or Darth Helios tomorrow? Sir Aliss, what do you think?”

Roshan paused at the question. He thought for a second while Aliss replied.

"Just know that next time you try to tackle me with your oversized metal frame I will cut it in half," retorted in a grumpy manner as she laid against the cold ground and curled up into a ball.

Roshan rolled his eyes, "Aliss Rose Roshan! If you do not let this go this instant..."

"Maybe if he apologizes!" She whined back.

"Apologizes?! You are the one who disobeyed and tried to steal the artifact even though we were directly told not to! Soulless was the only one actually following directions!"

Aliss crossed her arms as she continued to rest against her side, "Fine."

Roshan shook his head.

Children. He would end up stuck with this one.

"Where were we again? ..." Roshan sighed and paused for a second before remembering his original train of thought.

"Oh! Yes. Were we supposed to meet Helios tomorrow? That is right, isn't it. Do you remember when and where? To be honest, all this excitement had me a little distracted. I don't see why we can't visit with them both. Helios might have more knowledge to share but Lady Sirena seems like she might be better suited for beginners and a bit easier on the eyes. If you have a preference, we'll follow your lead, Soulless. It's time to let you make some executive decisions, as any good Knight of Roshan eventually must."

As Roshan finished, he leaned up against the rock wall behind him and took a seated position. He was ready to get a little rest. The space travel plus the desert trek and then the heat followed by their combat session had left him more than a little bit weary. Tomorrow would probably be even longer.

Turning to Solus, Roshan added, "Do you got like a motion sensor mode or something in that chassis of yours? Perhaps you could set it to wake you up and alarm us if anyone enters? Otherwise, we can take shifts. It doesn't matter to me. We should probably get some rest either way. It would just be wise not to take any chances. That's all."

___
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

“Ah ha! Since I am bound to Darth Helios, but also owe Lady Sirena our respect, we must satisfy both of them, yes? And since there are three of us, we can do just that! Lord Roshan, you stated that it will be our duty to kill you, yes? Perhaps a separation will enable Sir Aliss and I to do so later. After all, if we all learn the same, then we all know the same and be killed equally.” 

"Well don't get too excited about the prospect. There is still much time before that day comes and revenge we must take on Ishvara first and foremost. There are debts of blood to be repaid. But yes. In time, that day and my end will likely come. Just be sure that you are strong enough to defeat me in that day. Failures receive no mercy."

“In order to satisfy my debt to Lady Sirena, I choose that Sir Aliss will meet with Lady Sirena. You two are of both similar build and gender, right? Perhaps this will allow you to learn in ways impossible for me. Yes, yes, that will do. Do you agree Sir Aliss?” 

Aliss did not respond. Perhaps she was asleep. Or maybe she was just pretending. But she remained still in the darkness as Solus continued.

“I, however, must keep my word and follow the dreadsome but curious Darth Helios when he comes in the morning. After all, if I broke my word to him, how easy would it be for me to break my oath to you Lord Roshan? And this way, us children will learn in two different ways and become more powerful. That way, whichever person you choose to learn from Lord Roshan, you will have a child training separately from you and thus learn what you will not. Yes, yes…”

Roshan grinned as he listened to the Shardbot's plan.  It was more clever than Lord Roshan had expected. In fact, the Shard's idea had plenty of merit. More interestingly, it would likely show not only who the better pupil was but also who was the more competent master. For probably the first time since originally setting off on this quest, Roshan once again felt a tingle of excitement dance across his shoulders and up his neck. He let out a hearty laugh in the darkness.

"Well, Soulless. It would seem that my faith in you was not misplaced at all. I find your suggestion excellent. Before Master Helios arrives, we will explain the situation to the girl and Aliss will leave to meet with Lady Sirena as you suggest. Well done."

With that settled, the rest of the night and their watches seemed to go without incident. By the time some semblance of morning arrived, Roshan was a little tired but rather content. The real training would finally begin. The only question that now remained was whether or not Master Helios would show or instead decided to stand them up. Roshan couldn't help but wonder if Aliss' actions had ruined their chances of training under the grizzled master. If push came to shove, the party could always go and track down Lady Sirena. She seemed competent enough to handle a few beginners. And if it proved to be too much for her, Roshan was confident that he could help when needed.

Granted, Solus' plan seemed like the better option and more advantageous for Roshan's grand master plan and their eventual revenge tour on Ishvara in the months or years to come. Of course, all of that would be figured out in its own time. For now, the mission was simple: find a master, master some teachings, keep learning. 

____
image.png

Durose glanced at Aliss with a slight frown when Solus mentioned that perhaps Helios not showing up was his way of voicing his displeasure with them. The girl defiantly glared back, still storing the holocron among her things. Roshan decided it was not worth his effort to attempt to part her from it. Of course, after enough waiting Roshan felt all but certain that Helios was not coming.  So when Solus suggested that they leave, Roshan simply nodded in agreement. There was little point in wasting the day. Perhaps Master Helios had other more important business to attend to.

In the meantime, Roshan stood back and took some amusement in the oddly shaped droid chassis figuring out a way to ascend stairs. His design was so curiously odd. Roshan couldn't help but wonder why his builder had chosen something with such impracticality.  A humanoid body just seemed so superior to Roshan. A body of such size and odd shape was bound to have numerous blind spots, be much easier to hit, and have constant challenges navigating bipedal architecture. Unlike a real snake, it couldn't easily squirm, squeeze, shrink, or wriggle its metal body into whatever form it needed to conquer each navigational abnormality.

All the same, Solus had once again proven that where there is a will, there is a way. It was an impressive weapon and if the Shardbot could continue to adapt to each new challenge, it may prove to be a very formidable slayer of men and enslaver of worlds. But that would be where the Lady Sirena came in. Right now, Solus was like a malfunction droid that didn't know how to access its assassination protocols. But Roshan hoped that with proper Force training Solus could discover its true potential.

If Roshan was being honest, he personally preferred Helios for Solus. He wasn't sure that the Lady and her playful demeanor would give the Shard the proper structure or discipline. But human females were admittedly a mystery to Roshan. He often found them to be temperamental and unpredictable and occasionally a touch insane. So anything was possible. Maybe she would be perfect for him. Or maybe Lady Sirena might wake up today and decided to pop a few crazy pills just for the fun of it. It wouldn't be the first time he'd seen it happen when dealing with human women.

In either case, Roshan decided that his best bet was to remain on guard for Lady Sirena or other crazies as the group entered the marketplace and continued to move through it. Solus already attracted enough attention to himself as it was and this definitely seemed like a place that maintaining a low profile was much more beneficial.

“Ah...such...majesty. Hmmm...Lord Roshan...Sir Aliss, it just occurred to me, how are we to find the Valley of the Sith Lords? Truth be told, I was just following the path we took yesterday under the guidance of Helios, but now...I'm unsure where to go."

Roshan grumbled to himself a little bit. Following people who were leading the way but had no idea where they were going was a bit of a pet peeve of his. Motioning to the other two, he replied a little grumpily, "Follow me. I think I spotted a location that fits its description on the way into town."

He wasn't totally positive of the direction from this spot in town, but he figured if he could pick up her scent or follow his "Force intuition" they'd be standing in front of her soon. Worse case scenario, he could always ask for directions. But he was pretty confident that he could manage.

Next stop, Madam Money Business. 
___
image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

ALISS:
As Lady Sirena spoke and Solus replied, Aliss mulled over the Sith's question. She had so many sins and failings. Which one was her greatest? Not being of more aid to Lord Roshan? Not saving her friends? Not saving those at the compound? Not rescuing, protecting, or saving her mother? Not being better? Not being good enough to be Roshan's first choice? Never being the best?

As there was a silent break in the conversation, Aliss realized that all eyes were now resting on her. Swallowing hard, cleared her throat nervously before replying.

"I... it's... it's not being stronger. Serving Lord Roshan is obviously my greatest passion," she added in a perfunctory manner. "But I really wish I could get revenge and save my mother. It's failing her... because... because I'm not strong enough... that I don't know enough. That I didn't pay attention enough. That's.... I guess that's my greatest sin."

It felt like her words hung on the air as her dry mouth choked and bumbled them into existence. This subject was uncomfortable for her. It made her nervous and sad and angry all at the same time. She couldn't shake dreams of her mother. Something inside told her that she was still alive. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. But she couldn't let go of the chance that she still lived or shake the thought and the nightmares of her that haunted her sleeping and waking moments.

Mom, I swear I'll come back for you. Please forgive me. I'm just not strong enough yet. Please hold on just a little longer.

ROSHAN:

Roshan listened intently as his two proteges replied to Lady Sirena's question. Solus answer was a bit underwhelming. But perhaps it was correct. It technically had not sinned, depending on the way one looked at it. It had done its job every step of the way. A perfect weapon so far. Then again, it had lead the way without knowing where it was going. But such a sin could be easily forgiven.

Of course, when Aliss spoke, Lord Roshan couldn't help but nod contently. He had trained her well. He might have chosen her arrogance, disobedience, stubbornness, lack of attention to detail, or inability to stay focus and live up to her potential. "Greatest sin" was such a prospective laden phrase. But perhaps all of it could most easily be summed up in her being "weak." After all, his most glaring flaws were all symptoms of her physical and internal weakness. It was something that he hoped this trip would weed out of her. He could not be expected to teach her everything. Sometimes a student might begin to tune out their teacher after listening to them for a long enough period of time. In times like those, bringing in a new voice was sometimes necessary to teach them the same exact lessons. He had hopes that Sirena would be that voice. But only time would tell.

As the eyes shifted to him, Roshan removed his mask for the first time since arriving on this treacherous planet. His eyes locked on to Sirena's in a serious glare, before a grin slowly seized his face muscles and words bellowed forth.

"To sin, I would have to acknowledge a divinity higher than myself, of which I do not. But of passions, I have many. Subjugating the Force to my will being my most pressing at the moment. How about you, Lady Sirena? What is your greatest sin?"

____
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

"You're to mark yourselves and lay down, you especially Solus as you have to mark the Shard within your true form. And don't worry about the paralysis. I placed Shrill Shrooms in for safety reasons."

The girl looked upward to Roshan, reading his reaction. He only nodded at Aliss in response. They would play along. He was rather intrigued. They would allow the lady the amusement of her games. It was a small price to pay for progress.

"Only I will see what you will. This is the price of my training."

"Very well. Although I should warn you, I think your overconfidence in your Sith Alchemy will betray you in the case of Soulless. I am willing to bet that Shards have much more in common with droids than they do organics. Your "potion" will likely have about as much effect on Soulless as it would a protocol droid. If you seek to see inside its mind for your entertainment, you'll likely need to accompany Soulless into a place much more dark and dangerous and teaming with the energies of the darkside... if, of course, you are brave enough to follow him down that path in pursuit of your own amusement..."

As Roshan spoke, Aliss dipped her hand into the cauldron and tasted the concoction with the tip of her tongue. She winced and spit as the bitterness pricked her tastebuds. Stepping back, she rubbed some of the "poison" on the sides of her face before taking a seat and leaning back. Her body had already began to feel tingly all over. She remained unsure of the wisdom of going along with this experiment but she trusted Roshan to know what they were doing and she did want to receive her training.

Meanwhile, Roshan traced his fingers across the surface of the goop as he waited for the Sith Master's response. It didn't matter much to him what she had to say about Solus. She could believe she knew what she was doing all she wanted. He was confident she was wrong. This wasn't a matter of Sith Alchemy. It was a matter of simple chemistry. Just because it was "alive" didn't mean it was organic, much less that it could be poisoned by any stretch of the imagination. And admittedly, Roshan felt a slight tinge of pleasure at the thought of seeing her fail. Her sin was not lust. In fact, lust was not a sin at all. It was a virtue that had undoubtedly helped her reach the rank of master.

No, her sin was overconfidence. The fine line between useful lust and harmful overconfidence was most likely what had cost the woman at least one arm already. One day it would likely cost her her life. But not today. This was their turn to be in the spotlight.

As Roshan slid his finger tips across his face in a warpaint-esque pattern, he pivoted the conversation to something else that was on his mind, "So this goop. What can we expect? A vision quest? Fears? Monsters? Dead loved ones? 'Whatever we bring with us'? I'm not opposed to walking into things blind, but if we are going to willingly play your games, a hint shouldn't disrupt your process that much, should it, Lady Sirena?"

____
image.png & image.png 

Edited by Durose Roshan

ALISS:

When Aliss opened her eyes, she suddenly found herself back on what she was sure was Ishvara. Aliss could hear the sounds of fighting on all sides as the boots of dozens of men stomped against barren ground, kicking up dirt and dust in their wake. The warm wind wiped the coarse sand against her face as she laid on her back with a dead body pinning her to the ground. It was human and from the markings, the corpse was from the clan of Goreth. Aliss struggled in vain to move the heavier man's armored body. Summoning all her energy into one emphatic push, she startled her own self when she suddenly sent the flopping body hurling through the air and into another section where the fighting was more intense. She looked at her hands. The palms were surprisingly clean but the backs of her hands were still covered in dried blood.

There was no time to evaluate how she got here or what was truly going on. She could sense that an enemy combatant was barreling towards her. Rolling to her feet, she turned to face the man and reached for her lightsaber. It was gone. She looked back in the direction of the corpse to see that it was still lodged in the dead man's chest.

Not good.

Aliss stared into the eyes of the barbarian soldier, the bone claw necklace that adorned his shoulders clattering louder and louder with each step. He had the face paint markings of a berserker of the Goreth Clan, likely hopped up on the same herbal concoctions that gave their berserkers such fearlessness, brutality, and immunity to pain when they went into battle. Short of a killing blow, he would surely not stop coming after her. Of that she was sure.

The madman whipped his scimitar for the girl’s throat, Aliss managing to lean back just enough to miss his slice but still feel a cool rush of air tickle across her neck. A spike of adrenaline immediately brought her back to her senses as the Echani training that Roshan gave all his Knights began to kick in. Even as he frantically attempted to murder her, Aliss center herself and concentrated on reading his body movements. He was armed and stronger than her, but his drugged state mixed with his aggression to make him sloppy and easily readable. But what he may have given up in finesse and surprise, he more than made up for in relentlessness.

No sooner had she dodged or weaved or rolled than she found her attacker back up on her ready to deliver another strike. Wearing him out would be impossible and the density of the fighting around her made attempting to retrieve her lightsaber a tall order at this point.

Eyeing the ground around her in between dodges, her eyes suddenly stopped on the glint of a sword lying in the dirt next to where she had been trapped only moments before. She had finally found her path to salvation but her inexorable assailant continued to deny her any hope of deliverance, jabbing and swinging and swiping with every breath and grunt and scream. 

Like a choreographed dance, Aliss followed her opponent's lead, allowing her body to effortlessly move to the rhythm of his blade. But every time she attempted to reposition herself and take the lead, the madman aggressively reasserted his dominance. He obviously must have also known that her lifeline lay behind him. It was the only answer.

Refocusing her attention on finding an opening in her opponent's stance, Aliss watched almost in slow motion as he anchored his feet and flailed his arms with each swing. Taking out his knees would be extremely challenging without also getting hit in the process. He had plenty of reach on her and even if she was able to get in tight and catch his arm, it was doubtful that any of her techniques would phase him in his altered mental state. She couldn't rely on the sudden shock of pain to stun him or give her an opening to momentarily overpower him. And if his more than healthy musculature guaranteed her anything, it was that this man was more than capable of overpowering her if he managed to lock her in a grapple. No, she would need to use her environment to her advantage if she wanted to escape this altercation alive.

Waiting for his next swing at her neck, Aliss curved her body backwards into the shape of an upside down “U” before completing the flip and landing back on her feet. At a glance, Aliss had done nothing more than find a fancy way to exhaust further energy. The berserker's wild eyes flashed with sadistic amusement as he laughed at the girl before rushing to close the gap again. 

But what the madman had failed to notice was that she had actually completed the flip with only the strength of her right hand. In that brief moment she had used her left hand to dig her nails into the loose dirt and uproot a handful for herself. When the berserker predictably charged, he was suddenly met with a blinding splash of dirt and sand that exploded in a vaporous dust cloud that stung his eyes and obscured his vision. 

Diving his left to avoid his wild swings, Aliss looked almost feline as she gracefully maneuvered herself out of harm's way. Quickly finding her way to her feet, she neglected to stand upright, instead cutting through the hot summer air with her back and head arched like an arrow as she ran. In a matter of seconds, she had gone from defenseless to possessing the sword that had previously been resting upon this blood soaked battlefield. 

And without a moment of hesitation, Aliss turned and hurled it through the air with all her might. The warrior, who had no choice but to pause and clear out his eyes, had only enough time to angrily turn and yell before his body was jerked back! The blow from the sword lodging itself in his chest was so forceful, in fact, that it swept his legs out from underneath him and sent his body thudding to the ground in short order. A cloud of dust spit out around him as he landed, almost as if Aliss was watching his soul depart from his body in real time.

Served him right.

But as she now had the chance to catch her breath and survey the battlefield in hopes of getting her bearings, she finally could see where she was. The her section of the battlefield was on a hill overlooking a valley. And in the valley was a shining white stage. On the stage, stood a woman tied to a black pillar. She was adorned in white, which vividly contrasted with her olive colored skin and red hair. There was kindling of some sort at her feet and a man -- undoubtedly the leader of the Goreth clan, the one who’s name Lord Roshan cursed and swore never to speak until that man breathed his last breath -- was holding a torch in the air just above the collection of flammables. There was no question in Aliss’ mind. The woman in white was her mother! The aged yet strikingly beautiful Rose Morra Kiss was impossible to miss. Aliss had to get to that stage!

Looking frantically at the fighting taking place in her immediate vicinity, Aliss did not know who the warriors were that were fighting against Clan Goreth. Whoever they were, they seemed more than capable of keeping the majority of the Goreth warriors occupied for now. Her more pressing concern was making her way down the hill and towards the stage in as efficient a manner as possible. 

Analyzing the battlefield leading up to the stage, Aliss could see what looked to be Lord Roshan below, cutting, chopping, and wading his way through the Goreth soldiers like appetizers. His determination could be clearly seen in the trail of body parts and death he was leaving in his wake. But the trail of death behind him was not the only one. About 25 to 50 yards to his left there was another trail of the dead that had also almost advanced itself all the way to the stage. And from the slender feature of this trail’s blazer, Aliss could tell that the architect of this congoline of the dead was a woman. Unfortunately, her black attire and dark hood obscured her features almost completely from this distance.
Fearing for her mother’s safety, Aliss decided that she wouldn’t leave her fate up to Lord Roshan, much less a stranger. As a wave of panic washed over her, Aliss could hear her lightsaber call for her and she instinctively and commandingly answered the call, suddenly looking down to see the powered off weapon resting in her hand. 

There was no time to waste or figure out what had just happened. The two figures had already almost reached the stage!

Dashing down the hill, she ignited her lightsaber and severed the limbs of any that dared to confront her. The valley looked so close but with every step down the hill it seemed as if it was getting farther and farther away. Retreading the trail that Lord Roshan had made, Aliss rushed to clear out any additional her enemies while making up for as much lost time as possible. The deeper she go into the valley, the more vicious and desperate her strikes began, ruthlessly ending the lives of any fools that attempted to stand in her way. All the while, however, Aliss kept part of her attention on the stage as Roshan and the hooded woman reached the structure and began to climb it.

By now, Aliss was close enough to see that the odd glisten and sheen in her mother’s hair and on her skin was not a natural glow of some kind but actually some sort of liquid that had been poured all over her dress and body. Aliss anxiously glanced over at the hooded woman as she dropped her hood to reveal her face. Aliss froze for a moment. She watched as her older self in shock as the duplicate and the masked Lord Roshan stared each other down. The new version of Aliss looked older, a bit more scarred, but unquestionably determined. 

At the same time, though, something felt off. Aliss wasn’t sure what was going on but she quickened her pace even more, furiously trying to reach the stage before something tragic took place. 

Unfortunately, right as the girl reached the edge of the stage, Goreth soldiers carrying lightsabers stepped forward to block her path. Aliss stopped dead in her tracks. She found herself at the foot of the stage but with no way to reach it. Aliss pivoted and spun, confirming what she already knew. She was completely surrounded. Her breathing started getting increasingly uneven as panic and desperation began to fill her lungs as if she was drowning. And then suddenly came a voice.

“You know what you must do, Aliss.”

The sheer surprise of the voice she heard immediately pulled her attention away from her current predicament and back to group on stage. The man adorned with the Goreth crown was none other than Master Helios! It was as unbelievable as it was unquestionable! His face might have looked slightly different but the voice was undeniably his! Aliss fell into a stunned daze as she watched her duplicate older self step in front of Lord Roshan’s killing blow and fight him back.

“NOOO!!! What are you doing!!! NOOO!!!” she screamed in a blood curdling crescendo as she watched the two fight on.

Terror consumed Aliss’ heart as she charged the warriors blocking her way only to be easily beaten back and disarmed. Kicked to the ground, Aliss could feel her body trembling. Her muscles locked up. Her legs went limp. 

What is happening?! Why is this happening?! Somebody please make this stop!!! 

“Soulless! Sirena! Somebody! Help!!! Please!” she wailed at the top of her lungs. 

Looking back up as she caught her breath, Aliss noticed that the fighting had, indeed, stopped. From her view, She saw that her fraudulent older self was standing in front of Roshan and they both were paused, locked in a moment in time. Somebody had just struck the killing blow; she could feel it. But Aliss couldn’t see who actually had landed it with Roshan’s large figure obstructing her view. For a moment, her heart leapt with joy. Lord Roshan had surely saved the day! 

But her joy was immediately crushed when she noticed the hole in the back of Lord Roshan’s cape as a chilling gust of wind rolled across the white marble stage. As Roshan dropped to one knee, Aliss could see the woman smirk. Her lightsaber was turned off but it was clear that in Aliss’ moment of distraction and desperating, the vile woman had pierced her lord. Aliss cried out to her teacher, the Cathar that had been her father figure of over a decade.

Roshan! Please. Get up! Save, mom! Please! I need you! We need you!

Lord Roshan’s head swiveled just enough to stare into Aliss’ eye as he held his hand over the hole in his sternum. The Aliss imposter grinned with malicious intent as she looked at the dying beast and then to Master Helios. The master grinned contently and nodded back. 

“Finish him.”

Before Aliss even knew what was happening, the imposter’s lightsaber reignited and chopped with a rapid flick of the doppelganger's wrist. Roshan’s severed head sailed through the air, bouncing towards Aliss and coming to rest beside her. The eyes of his half shattered mask stared up at her lifelessly. 

The girl screamed in horror but failed to audibly put the horror into words. Fighting with all her might, she got her wobbly legs to move and somehow returned to a standing position.

Meanwhile, Master Helios handed the torch to the Aliss simulacrum. He then stepped aside and clapped his hands twice.

“You know what to do. Finish it.”

The entire battle -- everything -- suddenly stood still. Silence fell upon the whole valley as if all eyes had now turned their attention to the stage. The girl’s pupils grew wide with horror as she watched the fraud inhabiting her future self release the flaming piece of wood above the pile of kindling at her mother’s feet. It seemed to fall in slow motion as Aliss stumbled towards the stage only to be met by one of the Goreth lightsaber wielders and kicked back. She stumbled back and landed on her rear but never took her eyes off her mother.

Her older facsimile gleefully watched the girl the entire time, catching the stick only inches away from the ground. With tears streaming down Aliss’ face, she couldn’t even form the words “thank you” as her duplicate tossed the torch a few feet away from where the girl now sat. But even as Aliss struggled to get to her feet one final time, the girl could see that something was off with the way the doppelganger turned to smile at her mother.

It was in that second that she knew what the monster was about to do, even before she did it. A brilliant conflagration of red flowed from the simulacrum’s outstretched hand, hitting her mother’s clothing and causing the woman’s whole body to burst into a giant fireball of flames. 

Spine-chilling screams that came from her mouth’s throat as the fire rapidly burned through her body ignited something primal and vicious in the girl’s heart. She didn’t know what she was doing or how she was doing it, but she was moving so superhumanly fast that even the warriors with lightsabers could not keep up with her. 

And almost as if in the blink of an eye, Aliss found herself now standing on the stage with a row of dead foes face down in the dirt behind her. Her mother’s murderer grinned at Aliss, Rose Morra Kiss already well charred at this point. Master Helios nowhere to be found. It was just the two of them now.

“You will pay for that!” Aliss roared, laboring to breathe between each frown.

“You don’t get it, do you? Your mother? That Cathar? They are nothing but fools who have led you astray and wasted your lineage. You are home, little one.”

Enraged, Aliss charged the woman and she roared in reply, Kark you, Witch! You can take your lineage and go to--”

As Aliss swung at the woman she poofed into a cloud of smoke, causing Aliss to pause mid-sentence and look around in momentary confusion. Of course, her confusion didn’t last long as she suddenly felt the piercing hot blade of a lightsaber sticking out of her chest. 

Aliss felt reflexively like a cough was coming on,  but she choked and gagged instead. The girl could hear the sound of the lightsaber powering off as she, herself, fell to her knees holding her chest.

Aliss could feel the breath of the woman as the witch whispered in her ear, “The rage within your heart cannot be denied any more than the red that adorns your skin or the lineage that flows through your veins. You are born of the darkside. And all that deny this of you must suffer. Only when you will sacrifice everything for power... will you have the power to save everything you love.”

As the woman stepped back, Aliss could feel the pressure bunch in her knees as she fell backwards with a gentle thump. Her body felt listless, the last bits of life force slipping from her grasp like sand in an hourglass. But as the girl looked up towards the brilliant sky above in her final moments, the face staring down at her was not that of her older self but that of Lady Sirena.

And then Aliss woke up.

___
image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

((TLDR: Roshan had an almost out of body vision/dream/experience? of the past... then he woke up. The End.))

ROSHAN:

Consumed by the darkness, Roshan slowly lost all sense of smell, slight, and lastly feel. As if his body was completely numb, floating in an empty void of nothingness, Roshan soon lost all sense of time. Left with only his thoughts, he pondered his life and his past and what would become of his future. He had no answer but it seemed like each time he reached for one with his mind, he was pulled closer and closer to reality. 

First came back his sense of smell. There was something ancient to the place where he now found himself in. A mixture of old lore and modern technology. Then came sight, the blurring brightness shocked his eyeballs, forcing him to recoil and close his eyes to diminish their pain. And lastly came sound. Roshan sat alone in silence for only a moment. His eyes were closed but he chose not to open them as he tried to calm himself and steady his uneasy stomach. Even when he heard the patter of feet approaching, he remained motionless.

“You are early, Cathar.” 

The voice was almost immediately recognizable. Roshan did not need to open his eyes to know that the petite woman with raven hair and bright blue eyes was standing before him. As he slowly opened his eyes, he watched her lithe figure as she casually approached him.

“Well, this is an unexpected surprise.”

Of course, there was something different about his former master. The ageless woman seemed to be younger somehow. The way the darkness swirled around her made it seem almost as if her powers were more raw and unrefined.

“This is where it happens, you know.”

“Where what happens? Where are we?”

“Cardia, you fool!”

As Roshan rose to his feet, he looked around in confusion at her words. He did, indeed, seem to be far from Korriban. This was definitely no place he had ever been but with the occasional noises and voices that echoed off the walls, it was clear that this place served as some sort of hub for something.

“Cardia? What is this place?”

“Königreich des Teufels,” the woman replied proudly.

Roshan frowned. The name sounded familiar. He thought he remembered reading about such a place during his research. It was an old Sith Academy if he remembered correctly, in fact.

“You must be mistaken. The academy you speak of should be in ruins and this place is far from that.”

“No, you must be mistaken.”

Roshan features contorted into a mixture of confusion and irritation, “Why am I here, Master?”

“I am not Dominique and I am not your master. She has yet to arrive but she will play her role when she does.”

“Wah... what? Then why do you look like Dominique?”

“A familiar face tends to make the transition a bit easier, child.”

“Okay. Then who are you?”

The woman flashed him a coy smile as she cryptically replied, “Gods only know. But who I am or who I am not is of little consequence. After all, you are not even you.”

Roshan ground his teeth a little and he sighed. He hated cryptic answers, riddles, and puzzle games. They were such painful wastes of one’s time.

“What does that mean?! Who am I? Where am I? When am I? Why am I here?! Is this a memory from Dominique’s past? A vision of old events? An echo in the Force? Some wild hallucination?”

The lady grinned as she began to walk away, “Perhaps it is all. Or perhaps it is one. Or perhaps it is none. All that matter is that you are here now and you have a call to answer and a job to do.”

“What do you--”

He..l..p me.. plea..se

Roshan stirred a little, looking behind himself but seeing nothing. The voice was so clear, almost too clear for it to have been spoken out loud. Seeing no one, Roshan turned back to Dominique only to see an empty hallway. The mysterious figure, however it was, had vanished into thin air. Roshan debated his options. It would seem that this vision quest of his had a role for him to play and he’d likely not be released until he had completed it. This call, in fact, might be his first clue. Hoping he was on the right track, Roshan hurriedly moved through the compound, following the call through the Force as if he was chasing an echo. 

As he narrowed down the call’s point of original and neared the location, however, Roshan could see that he was not the only one to hear it. Stepping out of the way, the Cathar decided it was better not to reveal himself and get involved until he knew exactly what he was getting himself into. As he watched a rather tall human stumbled down the ramp of the ship in front of him, the man mumbled words that Roshan could only partially hear.

"I left it there, my first saber. I must... .... ..."

The almost equally tall humanoid with him seemed irritated at the fallen man’s response, although Roshan had no idea why. In fact, there was a definite chill between the imposing figure and the much smaller woman that stood not far from him. Roshan could tell that the three of them had history but the details escaped him. Nevertheless, the small woman was strikingly beautiful for a human, even with her cold demeanor. The Cathar moved to cautiously approach the group and get a better look at what was going on. As he did, the large Sith whispered something into the downed man’s ear.

"So Dominique has his saber,” the woman began with a chilling tone. “That's typical.

Roshan was confused. None of this was making any sense.

Perhaps my quest is to retrieve the saber?

"Surely you can feel how his soul is split. If your lover is going to gloat that she has his weapon... part of his soul, it shows how little she respects any of her fellow sith."

As the violet eyed beauty commed from a medical team, Roshan’s own eyes grew wide as his comm device went off. Looking down at the comm unit at his side and then back upwards towards the ground, he jumped a little as he found the woman’s piercing eyes staring at him. Roshan froze in place, unsure of what her reaction would be. Up until this point he had been unsure whether this vision was one where he would be an observer or an active participant. But the way she looked at him, he was clear now that she clearly saw him.

“Medic! Over here! Get this man to the medical wing.”

A look of bemusement played across Roshan as he stared at the woman. She must have confused him with someone else. But looking down again at his uniform, her mistake was likely logical. In fact, it was only now that he realized that he was wearing an odd uniform, one perhaps even consistent with his mistaken identity. Of course, her glower was intense enough at this point that Roshan didn't dare contradict her. Simply nodding, he hurried over to the injured Sith.

“Yes, ma’am. Coming, ma’am.”

Taking out his medical equipment, Roshan looked over the fallen man and tried to look as busy as possible until the rest of the medical team showed up, if for no other reason than to attract her ire. Whatever was going on, she didn’t seem like someone he wanted to be on the bad side of. After the rest of the team arrived, they carefully moved the man onto a gurney and began heading for the medical wing.

Almost the whole way to the medical wing, Roshan could feel the woman’s glare. He was relieved, of course, when she broke off to handle other business and gave him and the rest of the team some room to breath.

For now, Roshan decided that he would play doctor and act like he knew what he was doing. As far as he could tell, he was someone in charge and short of having to perform surgery, telling others what to do seemed easy enough. If “gods know who” wanted him to play this game, he might as well see it through. 

At least, he might as well do so for now. So far it wasn’t so bad. Glancing over the patient’s vitals, it would seem that this fellow was stable for the time being. As for souls and what Dominique had to do with all this, Roshan doubted he’d find his answer here. Nevertheless, Roshan deemed reviewing the patient’s file prudent and as Roshan glanced over the file, another wounded Sith “warrior” soon arrived. Stepping out of the first patient’s room, Roshan left to see what all the commotion was about. Truth be told, this dark haired woman looked like she had seen better days.

I swear that the Sith of this academy must either be into self-masochism or are made of papier-mâché.

The staff hurriedly set up a bed for the new arrival. As the staff helped the woman onto a bed, Lady Traya addressed Roshan.

“Give her whatever she needs, doctor.”

Roshan looked over the woman and shook his head. He didn’t need to be a rocket scientist to see that her arm might not be an easy fix.

“Yes, ma’am! I’m just not sure that her arm... you know. I mean, I can’t give you a full assessment until I unwrap it and properly examine it but--” Roshan motioned in the direction of the injured woman.

“If you can save it, great. But if you have to, give her a synthetic one! Get her back on her feet as soon as you can, doctor. You know the drill.”

Roshan nodded, “Yes, ma’am.”

Setting down the file on Draken, Roshan pulled up the file on his newest arrival. This was looking like it was going to be a long day. 

“Malyss Slayde. It seems you have been a naughty girl. But don’t worry. We should have you back up and running soon enough.”

Roshan glanced over at the other medic that had just entered the room. Roshan could have sworn that the young man had to have been freshly graduated medical school with as young as he looked. In fact, were it not for his doctor’s attire, Roshan would have guessed he was a nurse or intern or orderly of some sort.

“Over here, doctor. Grab the team. We have our work cut out for us.”

The man sighed, “Yeah. Sure looks like it. But what about our other patient?”

“He’s stable for now. Go send one of those nurse slaves over to make sure nothing crazy happens.”

“Yes sir.”

As Roshan began to examine the woman, he was surprised by how easy and comfortable the whole thing was. It felt as if he had done it a thousand times. And judging by what he had gathered of this place so far, Roshan was sure the medics here probably had. Removing the makeshift bandages, Roshan was greeted by a gnarly sight of exposed muscle and tendons. He could treat the arm for now but it would likely need extensive surgery if they were to save it. The other doctor had a worried look on his face as he examined the rest of her injuries.

“I don’t know, man. I know Lady Traya wants us to save the arm if we can...”

But? I feel a ‘but’ coming on...”

“But, I mean,” the man began as he motioned demonstratively towards it. “Look at it! Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to find out what happens to us if we don’t pull off another miracle. But good gods.”

Roshan shrugged. He had seen worse. And there were worse things than a prosthetic limb. 

“We will try to do what we can but at least she will most likely survive. Let’s rally the staff and begin prepping for surgery,” Roshan ordered calmly.

The other man nodded as he left the room and Roshan began looking for the proper change of attire. Of course, he was only half way done changing when he heard some commotion coming from a different room.

“You dare to stop me in my quest. This single act has condemned you to die by my hand. "

“What in the...” Roshan sighed as he hopped around awkwardly in an attempt to get into the legs of his surgical pants. Before he could finish, one of the nurses barged in. 

“Doctor!”

“What is it now, nurse?”

“The slave we had watching the other patient...” the woman began in a distraught tone.

“What about him?”

“He’s dead!” She exclaimed. “His throat was completely crushed and the patient is gone!”

“They don’t pay me enough for this,” Roshan grumbled before sighing.

Of course, there was still the matter of the surgery itself. Perhaps this was a perfect out for him. 

Then again, would I really prefer chasing down an “escaped” patient that moonlights as a windpipe crushing madman?

“Was that all, nurse?”

She sheepishly dropped her eyes to the ground and nodded. Roshan rubbed his own eyelids in frustration.

“Very well. Please have the body properly disposed of. Clearly that psychopath doesn’t need any more medical attention so I’m going to focus on the one that actually does. You are dismissed nurse,” Roshan finished as he waved his hand irritatedly. 

He was beginning to enjoy his time here less and less with each passing moment. He wasn’t even sure what he was doing or why he was doing it at this point but he felt unusually confident in his medical abilities and if he failed, he figured this wasn’t real so he likely couldn’t hurt much. Of course, by the time he was all suited up and the medical team was all ready to begin, the same nurse appeared once again.

“Um... Doctor...”

“What is it now, nurse!”

The woman looked at him nervously as she replied, “We have an influx of slaves arriving for treatment. What would you like me to do with them?”

“Specify influx?”

“I don’t know. Like a study flow?” she replied almost wincing.

“I swear,” Roshan sighed. “We can’t go five minutes without someone being tragically injured around here! What happened now? Landslide? Mine collapse? Someone forgot to use the proper pronouns when addressing a Sith Lord?”

The nurse glanced obsequiously downward before locking eyes with Roshan as he scowled in frustration, “Maybe... you... You should see for yourself, doctor.”

Pulling off his gloves, Roshan slams them on the tray next to him, “Fine! Lead the way, nurse!”

Several minutes later, Roshan found himself in the small medic break room. Close by, the other young doctor was sitting down, sipping his drink. Roshan’s rather disturbing examination of the arriving slaves had lead him to this pause in his activities to vent to the only “familiar face” he knew at this point.

“For the love of the Force! Their balls, man! And they were lucky if that was all! I’ve never seen anything like this. At least not to those you intend on keeping alive! Do these Sith have no decency?!”

“You act like this is your first day here or something,” the man responded with a tepid laugh. “They are Sith. Sith! Darkside and all. What do you expect?! We just need to get back to that Sith girl with the jacked up arm before Lady Traya adds us to her growing list of eunuchs.”

Roshan shook his head in exasperation, “I don’t know why it bothers me so much, but I’ve had it up to here, I tell you. Here,” Roshan replied as he raised his hand to neck level. “I’ve really had it with all this wanton waste and disrespect for life! They act like all of us are their little play things. It’s time someone had a talk with them or did something!”

The other doctor gave Roshan a blank stare. He then paused for a second before suddenly bursting into laughter.

“You really had me going there for a second,” he replied with a hearty laugh. “You think being turned into a eunuch is bad? If any one of us confronted one of them we’d wish all we were turned into was a eunuch!”

Roshan scrunched his face into a light grimace. The man was probably right. 

Perhaps poisoning them to death slowly over time would be a much more prudent strategy.

The Cathar was less than enthused about helping nurse another one of these maniacs back to health. He contemplated how long he could stall her recovery without making Lady Traya mad. Of course, his train of thought was broken by a forceful knock on the break room door. Roshan moved to the door, opening it as he spoke with a twinge of irritation in his voice.

“What?!” he exclaimed before he even saw who was there.

Sure enough, it was the same nurse as before. She timidly stared at her feet and fidgeted before replying.

“Doctor... Lady Traya... she headed this way and she looks very unhappy.”

As he leaned against the doorpost, Roshan sighed and rubbed his face partly out of exhaustion and partly out of frustration. Stepping out of the room, he motioned for the other doctor to stay put.

“Thank you, nurse. I’ll handle this. Lead the way.”

Lady Traya was mad as advertised. And She was now making the outrageous demand that they move Malyss even though she was currently in the middle of surgery prep. Roshan rubbed his temples as he tried to calm himself.

“No, ma’am. I’m not personally handling the surgery because doctor Linsrom is more than capable and I had to take care of the sudden influx of slaves that arrived dismembered. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that would you?”

“I DON’T WANT EXCUSES. GET DRAKEN AND IT DONE, DOCTOR. NOW!”

For a second, Roshan almost flinched. That look in her eye told him that he was seconds away from suffering some sort of terrible fate. In fact, if it wasn’t for his usefulness in his capacity as a medical professional, he probably would have already suffered said fate. The Sith might have been sadistic but they seemed to recognize the foolishness of harming the skilled help, at least for now.

Motioning to a group of slaves and other medics nearby, Roshan ordered, “You heard the Lady! Inform the surgery team that there has been a change in plans. You three, you’re with me. We need to grab the medical supplies and a gurney. We’ll be on this right away, Lady Traya.”

With that, the group scurried around like their life depended on it as Alora disappeared out of the medical wing. When he was absolutely certain she was gone, Roshan wiped some sweat from off his brow.

Yup. I am living in a nightmare that just doesn’t end.

As the group jogged towards the location they had been given for the collection of the wounded remains of Mr. Draken “Throat Crusher” Insano Jr. the Third, the medical team suddenly heard the thundering voice of Lady Traya ahead in the distance, “How dare you girl! Your abuse of power and lack of respect for your fellow sith will see you punished!”

One of the medics put out his hand the rest of the group stopped. He hesitantly looked to Roshan.

“Perhaps we should wait a few minutes. It sounds like they are in the middle of something. What do you think, doc?”

Roshan looked to the man and then back in the direction of the screaming. The Cathar scratched the back of his head a little before sighing, “Perhaps we take the scenic route?”

“Scenic route. Copy that,” the medic replied with a relieved grin.

There was only so much stalling a group of medics could do in a place like this but by the time the group arrived, Roshan was “treated” to the startling sight of a smoldering Dominique and a wounded Draken. While he didn’t show it in his face, internally Roshan smiled at this turn of events. 

Perhaps this psychopath will now have to think twice before running off with a leg wound like that. Serves him right. 

As Lady Traya ordered the medics around, Roshan kept eyeing the body of the smoldering girl and the giant of a man beside her. She clearly needed medical attention. Those burns were serious by anyone’s standards and every second was crucial. But at the same time, he did not want to end up like Dominique either. Carefully lifting Draken onto the gurney, the rest of the medics helped secure him and began moving the ever wounded Sith to the medical wing once again.

As the group led the way out of the room and walked briskly towards the medical wing, Roshan glanced back at Lady Traya. He tried to hide his disgust but it was growing harder and harder by the second. He grabbed at his first aid kit. He had snuck a knife into it for protection purposes before they had left the medical wing. But he was starting to get the nerve up to use it for more proactive purposes after her latest outburst. Maybe his judgement was being clouded by the fact that he knew the “future” Dominique but this other woman was clearly a menace that cared nothing for others, friends or foe. She was a liability and someone had to stop her, even if it cost him his life. Perhaps that was his job. Perhaps that was why he was here. 

Fumbling for and finding the knife, he gripped it tightly. But as he turned once again to eye the woman, he noticed motion behind her. It was the giant.

“Your first mistake; Interference. Your second; My Child, and lastly your third; My apprentice.”

Out of nowhere, a brilliant display of supercharged energy sprung from the Sith’s hands and blasted the woman, immediately sending her crash to the ground! The display was so powerful and frightening that the medical team was thrown into disarray. Some ran, some tried to push the gurney away faster, Roshan himself found the nearest piece of furniture and dove for cover. He wanted no part of the wrath coming Lady Traya’s way. The smell of burnt flesh filled the air as the woman tried to talk the Sith Lord down. As the sparks continued to fly and she undoubtedly grew weaker, she must have known that her end was near as she spoke her final words.

“What are you waiting for? Finish the job, Exodus."

The giant’s name. Exodus. That was Dominique’s master, right? I never discussed her past much with her. But who was his child? Surely it couldn’t have been Dominique. Hmmm... I wonder...

As the light show stopped, Roshan looked across the way to a nearby medic who was also hiding behind some furniture. Roshan gave her the gesture to look over the object and see what was happening. The female shook her head emphatically in reply, making it very clear that she most certainly would not.

It’s up to me then.

Poking his head slowly up, Roshan could see the woman struggling on the floor. She was holding her neck as she flopped. There was a scary determination in the Sith Lord’s eyes. Roshan wondered if in her final moment the woman had regretted making such a request. Exodus seemed more than happy to oblige her. As he slowly squeezed Lady Traya’s neck until her throat collapsed, Roshan looked back towards the direction where they had left Dominique. 

Dominique needed help. There wasn’t time to waste with the burns she had on her body. Slipping out from behind the furniture, Roshan slowly and carefully walked around Exodus to allow him to finish his execution in peace. Once clear of the scene, the Cathar scurried over to the woman’s burnt body and began to place Bacta patches on the worst areas of burning. What she really needed was a bacta tank but this would at least provide her with a stop gap measure until they could get her there. Trying to move her body himself, Roshan was shocked at how weak he felt and how difficult it was. 

She’s a tiny woman. How could I have lost all my strength?

Scratching his head, he was interrupted by the arrival of the other medic carrying more bacta patches and the giant trailing close behind her. Dominique perked up for a moment as Exodus neared.

“Exodus...” Dominique faintly uttered before completely passing out.

Roshan nervously turned to address Exodus, “Dark Lord, sir, she’s suffered severe burns. I’ve tried to buy her some time but we need to get her to a bacta tank immediately if we want to save her.”

As Exodus held her, Roshan winced a little. “Your Lordship, you really must be careful about touching her. Your skin is super charred and there is infection and whatnot to worry about. This whole process is pretty delicate, honestly. Perhaps we could grab a few others and--”

Exodus stirred, his movement causing Roshan to stop mid-sentence. Despite his cold demeanor, Exodus had no problem rounding up a few passersby to help carefully move the body. Roshan nodded to Exodus and mouthed a “thank you” and they created a makeshift gurney to get her where she needed to be.

“There is a remedial lab nearby that happens to have a few bacta tanks that are on standby. Follow me. This way!” Roshan motioned to his newfound assistants.

When they arrived, Roshan carefully removed the burn clothing and helped prepare her body as much as he could before Exodus helped get her into the tank. With everything hooked up and all the monitoring equipment properly set up, Roshan discussed the situation with the newly arrived relief shift of doctors. Exodus, meanwhile, sat waiting nearby. More than exhausted by this point, mentally and physically, Roshan was relieved that his shift change was here and he could finally catch his breath. 

Nodding to Exodus, he informed him of the news, “The good news, Lord Exodus, is that she will survive. We were able to treat her in time and all is well. I’m off the clock now but the new team replacing me is more than capable to care for the situation. If you need me for anything else, just send one of them to get me, sir.”

Bowing, Roshan backed away and left to find his quarters. He was extremely content that he had saved Dominique. This must have been the event that Dominique simulacrum had spoken of. It had to be the reason he had come here. He could not think of any other reason. 

Simply put, it was not her time to go. She surely had many adventures ahead of her. But more than that, Roshan took some solace in that fact that seemed like perhaps that was some sort of balance in the Force had been struck after all. Perhaps even the Darkside was not devoid of some sense of justice, no matter how brutal.

Entering his room and plopping his head on his pillow, Roshan grinned as he slowly began to fade off to sleep. Of course, he couldn’t shake the feeling of something lingered at the back of his mind. He knew that he was forgetting something. And right as he drifted into slumber it hit him.

Malyss Slayde!

Startled away, Roshan eyes opened back to reality. The Cathar ones again found himself back in the sandy dunes of the present and the bitter smell of Lady Sirena’s poison lofting into the air as it sat on his face.

____
image.png

• 1 month later...

"In the depths of the darkness, did you find your sin? Your hunger? Your purpose? Did you hear the call and heed its answer? Did your past define your future? Tell me what your experiences were and how it guided you to its inevitable conclusion."

The momentary pause was broken by the synthetic voice of Solus. It was clear to Roshan that whatever it had seen, the Shard had enjoyed his experience. As the Shardbot spoke, Roshan's gaze shifted towards Aliss. There was a cold and calculated look on her face. He had seen it once before. Years ago, one of his students had pulled a prank on her and it had left her feeling humiliated. Needless to say, that boy never made that same mistake again.

...Such is the way how the Force should be, correct Lord Roshan? No, you said the Force is unbridled here...

Roshan opened his mouth to reply but Solus continued to ramble on. There was no reason to damper its excitement. Roshan was honestly still processing what he had personally experienced. It seemed like he had lived another lifetime but he was likely asleep no longer than a few minutes, maybe hours at most. He had to give the Sith woman credit. He never experienced something quite like that.

"...Will we be using this more often, in our quest to control the Force for our own uses? Is this how we connect with the Force? But then  again, how do you three do it without this stuff?”

Rising to his feet, Roshan finally cut the Shard off.

"I sure hope not. This is a parlor trick. An impressive parlor trick. But it is not the Force. If dreams were effective teachers of the Force, the Sith would spend all their time sleeping. And be slain in their sleep because of it. But rest assured, they do not."

Turning to the woman, Roshan crossed his arms.

"My sin? I saw none. But I did see the sins of the Sith... a purification necessary. And the one who saw what I saw and has the power to do it. An executioner. A giant named 'Exodus' is the one I must find so that I can pick up where Dominique left off. Maybe then..."

"I must kill him," Aliss uttered matter of factly as she started into the nothingness in the distance.

Roshan paused and frowned, "What are you babbling about, girl?"

As Aliss rose to her feet, she stared into Roshan's eyes before resting her wild glare on Lady Sirena.

"I must kill him! He is the evil that threatens everything! It is the only way to save mother. It's the only way to save me and you and Roshan and all of you. It's the only way..."

Edited by Durose Roshan

Roshan was also confused and somewhat concerned by the girl's words. She was impulsive. It was a fatal flaw that he had never figured out how to break her of. Roshan edged closer to Aliss as Lady Sirena spoke.

"Who is he, child? Who is a danger to your family?"

Aliss looked to Sirena and then back to Roshan.

"It's him! The one who's name cannot be spoken! I saw it!" Aliss' eyes darted wildly, as if she was still somewhat delirious from coming off of some sort of drug-induced hallucination.

"Get ahold of yourself, girl!"

Ignoring him, a wide-eyed and somewhat panicked Aliss glared at Sirena, "You don't understand! We must kill Helios! Before he kills us all! We must! Or he will kill her. You, too, Roshan!"

With pleading eyes, she looked around to those still present, "Please! I need the power! I must save us! We must hurry... Please! She's in danger! We must find him!"

With Aliss' eyes tearing up a little, Roshan almost expected her to hyperventilate. Looking to Lady Sirena, he raised an eyebrow. He was unconvinced by anything she had to say but this all was Sirena's doing and her mess as far as he was concerned.

___
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

• 2 weeks later...

“Perhaps her sin is not revenge and passion… but rather fear? Yes, fear I suspect is a deadly path, no? Course, I have experienced no such thing like you, Sir Aliss...”

"You piece of--" Aliss growled under her breath.

Lady Sirena's response momentarily distracted Aliss and interrupted her train of thought. Nevertheless, it wasn't the answer Aliss wanted to hear. It delayed her reaction to the Shardbot's words for just long enough for her to confirm in her mind that Lady Sirena was scared of Helios.

Shifting her attention back to her rival, Alice stoic stance quickly shifted into one of launching herself at the Shardbot to surprise attack him. He was clearly full of himself. She had had enough of his lip and his attitude. He was always taking subtle jabs at her, trying to undermine her in front of Lord Roshan and Lady Sirena. He might have thought he was so clever but she had definitely noticed. With everything else that she had just witness, she wasn't even completely sure whether she had returned to reality or if she had ever left it but the pain and rage and fire in her heart was certainly real. Of that she was for sure.

All it would take is a step and a bound and she'd be digging her lightsaber into the Shard's chest before he even realized what was happening. Of course, she only managed to just barely lift off into the air when a tug at the back of her collar choked her neck and swept her feet out from under her. She suddenly went from reaching for her lightsaber to flailing her arms as she began to experience a sensation of rapidly falling. The next thing she knew, her head painfully splashed against the ground.

Looking up, Aliss saw Roshan's eyes staring angrily down at her. She knew he wasn't going to release her until she stood down and he had her pinned rather easily. It was her fault for not noticing how close he had edged towards her. Clenching her teeth a little, Aliss released her hand from her lightsaber and put her hands up in the air. As she rested there, she made no further attempts to move. After a few seconds, the girl could feel Roshan's firm grip loosen.

"Good."

His look of disapproval said it all. As she sat upright she spat in the direction of the robotic menace but made no further attempt to retaliate. Looking over to the Lord and Lady, she could see that Roshan and Sirena were staring at her. Brushing the sand out of her hair and off her face, Aliss gave Sirena a defiant glare.

"Maybe she was right. Maybe you are both nothing but fools who have and will led me astray and waste my lineage. Helios is still a man and all men bleed and die. If you are too cowardly to face him, fine! That's your sin, isn't it? Be that way. Give me the power I need and I'll face him myself. I'll save them all myself! You or your cowardice or this infernal machine won't stop me. Help me or get out of my way!"

___
image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Aliss glared bitterly in response to Sirena's laughter.

"Why simply settle at just killing, child? A being like Helios could die, but what about his prestige? What about his legacy? If he is truly a danger to you and those you care about, death wouldn't stop it, only him. If you truly want the power to protect yourself and those you care about, then you need to destroy the essence of what makes him more powerful. And when you figure that out, hone your skills to fit his destruction."

Angry thoughts flooded the girl's mind. She parsed her lips, fighting back the urge to speak them aloud.

This woman was speaking foolishness! I didn't care about the villain's prestige or his legacy! That will not save her mother. That will not stop him! That will not...

"If you truly want to understand how to kill Helios, head to the Forge west of here. There you will find the answer."

Aliss remained silent as she watched the lady leave. She took a few seconds to gather herself before turning to Roshan.

"We do not need her. She is a fool, anyway. Prestige? Legacy? What does that mean to me if I lose everyone who matters!"

Roshan reflectively observed the emotional ball of flesh beside him. There was a silent moment of warmth in his stare as their eyes greeted one another and the two embraced the stillness of the air. That moment, however, was abruptly ended when Roshan placed his Sith mask back over his face. The pitch of his voice deepened as he talked from underneath his mask, giving the large Cathar a more menacing tone.

"You are my legacy. And we have not lost each other yet. You can't save your mother if you are dead, stupid child. It's time for you to grow up. Whatever you saw, you can assume that it was a lie. She is a witch and a trickster. Do you really think that was anything more than a parlor trick to play on your fears and reveal your heart? Now you have given that woman power over you and a means to manipulate you. Even now you intend to follow her, don't you?"

Roshan's last sentence caught Aliss by surprise. She turned and stared at the looming figure, her mind processing his words. Perhaps he was right. She could feel the answer swelling in her heart.

"Yes."

She paused as she tried to read Lord Roshan's barely visible eyes from behind his mask. He was gazing off into the distance towards the path in the sand that the mysterious master had left for them to follow. After a few more seconds of silence, Roshan turned to the Shardbot with a nod and then to Aliss.

"It's decided then. Lead the way, Sir Aliss."

As they left the hut and began their journey to meet Sirena, they could see another figure in the distance. Aliss stopped in her tracks as Roshan placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Who is that?"

"I...," Roshan hesitated as he looked on a little uneasily. "I do not know. But judging by her clothing and the vibe I'm getting from her... I'd say... I'd say she is likely a slave."

Aliss craned her head a little in response, "Like the ones on Yehveshi?"

"No. Not quite. She reminds me more of the slaves on Carida."

"Where?" Aliss frowned as she squinted into the harsh sun, a little confused.

"Nevermind, child," Roshan replied as he released his grip from her shoulder. "Are we doing this or not?"

Aliss shrugged in reply, "Um...You stopped me."

Roshan squinted his eyes at Aliss, "Enough with the attitude! Let's get on with it."

"What! Attitude?! How did I--"

"Aliss!"

Aliss crossed her arms as her face contorted into a pouty grimace, "Fine! Whatever. I'm going!"

By the time they approached Lady Sirena, it seemed that she was finishing up her conversation with someone important. The slight changes in the tone of her voice as they were approaching gave that much away in Roshan's opinion. It also peaked his curiosity. He fixated more on the other woman, though, as they got closer. It felt like he was seeing a ghost. Her presence made him uneasy. She made her feel an emotion that was quite abnormal for him. It was an emotion he had not felt in many years until Sirena's little vision quest.

Pity.

His focus was taken away from the pitiful woman, however, when Sirena addressed the two of them. It would seem that she had their next excursion planned and those that wanted training were expected to accept her invite. Aliss was so confused by all the emotions she felt when it came to this woman and her "dream vision" and the training itself that she accepted Sirena's invitation more out of a sudden overwhelming fear of soul-crushing loss than for any real rational reason or some well thought out decision making.

Roshan, on the other hand, didn't say much. He simply nodded and stared at the other woman. He now felt considerably overdressed in his ceremonial Sith armor and his dark flowing cape. He wondered if her attire was even decent enough to be classified as "rags."

Such a pitiful creature.

Seeing a slave running errands on Korriban was not something that surprised him. He had seen how Sith collected, horded, and treated their slaves. But her attire and upkeep was pathetic at best. Perhaps he would have to have a talk with her master at some point. She could at least be made presentable when being sent out on errands. Rolling his eyes a little and sighing at his memories of the horrors of the Sith Academy on Cardia, Roshan otherwise followed the group in silence.

It was not long before they reached the spaceport and the flagship of their new mysterious ally. Once aboard, they followed Sirena until they came upon a human male in dark robes and of average stature. Even though Roshan stood a little ways back from the two to allow Lady Sirena and the man to talk, the oversized Cathar felt like he was towering over them. Of course, at 4'1, Sirena was dwarfed by even the average heighted human, much less an toned 6'11 Cathar in full garb.

Granted, Lord Roshan was used to staring down at others around him. For some reason, though, seeing Sirena's actual height difference while standing next to this full grown human male just seemed so comical to Roshan. It was not nearly as humorous as when she had stood next to the shorter human females she had interacted with thus far. But sure. It was a random and perhaps irrelevant observation to key in on at this particular moment in time. Roshan knew he should be focusing on the conversation instead. But for some reason, Roshan couldn't help but find the current optics amusing all the same.

Aliss, meanwhile, was fixated on the man's face. Scarred, but with striking blue eyes not too unlike Lady Sirena's, staring into them made Aliss self-conscious of her own woeful eye color. With her 16th birthday just around the corner, she found herself wishing for nothing more for her birthday than that she, too, could have blue eyes. Surrounded by all these normal humans, she began to feel the same unease she had felt growing up on Ishvara. Her unusually florid skin color and yellow eyes had always been the stain -- no, the curse -- she could never remove. It was the sin passed down to her from her mother and undoubtedly her mother's mother before her. Aliss would never fit in with all the normal humans she wished so desperately to be like. And perhaps that was why she'd never be as pretty or as talented as them. This was her affliction.

Even now, she could feel herself sinking into the floor. She may have been taller and bigger than the tiny Lady Sirena, but in that very moment she felt like the smallest person in the entire room. As the man droned on, Aliss closed her eyes, crestfallen and aching to find somewhere -- anywhere -- to escape in that moment and disappear.

"...It's a lot of space. I'll have to split my forces to take it all fast enough. Most of the fighting should be easy, unfortunately. Local planetary defenses and possibly scattered Rebel troops. It will be easy at first, but the longer we're active, the more time the enemy has to rally against us. Speed is the key factor here- don't fight a war if you can intimidate the locals instead."

Roshan nodded as he stepped forward to address the man, "Sounds like you've gotten it all figured out. Where to first? And where is that slave of yours? Is she going to show us to our quarters? The girl and I have been through a rather exhausting adventure today, Lord...?"

___
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

As Lady Sirena introduced them, Aliss was brought back to the present. She turned her gaze to the Sith Lord in time to catch his sneer. She was caught of guard for a moment before frowning returning his sneer with one of her own.

Roshan, meanwhile, watched the man in amusement as he sized them up with his eyes before introducing himself.

"I am Darth Mavanger. If you need any other proof of my ability, I am fresh from the battlefield. I've participated in many campaigns. Coruscant, Kuat, and Corellia most recently."

"Hmm," was Roshan's only reply.

"One who is strong in body, but weak in mind, and one who is weak in both. If you truly intend on being Sith, you will be forged in the fires of battle. This is our way. Emotions are your weapon. Use them all. Do not become a slave to merely anger or pain- to do so seals your fate. My scars are borne gladly, my own lesson when I was still an apprentice."

Roshan could feel Aliss moving forwards him. With his hands casually crossed behind his back, the Cathar quietly motioned for her to halt. This man may have been a bit full of himself as far as Roshan was concerned, but Aliss was easy to bait and the last thing he needed was her trying to start something.

"For you- your strength will serve you well. But your pride will be your downfall if you do not control it."

"Funny you say that..." Roshan replied dryly before allowing himself a light chuckle as the man addressed Aliss.

"You will not survive in your current state. Timid and weak- either strengthen your resolve, or crumble and fall to others' ambitions."

As Lord Mavanger finished his sentence, Roshan reflexively swung out his arm to create a barrier to block the girl's path. He had spent enough time with her to know what she was thinking. Or rather that she probably wasn't doing much thinking at this moment. Aliss had all but forgotten how she was feeling just moments ago as her anger pulsed in the form of a vein that protruded slightly from her forehead. Lord Roshan had already had more than enough outbursts out of this child to last him a lifetime and an outright altercation with this Dark Lord would be beyond foolish.

"You clearly aren't very smart if that's what you think of me, mister!"

"Calm down, girl. It's not that serious."

After a moment of passing tension, the man seemed unconcerned with Aliss or her suddenly aggressive posture. In fact, he finally decided to addressed Roshan's original question. 

"You will be shown to your quarters by my troops. My slave will stay on Korriban and continue to recruit able-bodied Sith."

Roshan grinned, "What a curious way to represent your interests. In that case, you might want to take a bit better care of your slave. At the very least, buy her proper clothing. It reflects poorly on you to take so little care of your property if you are this amazing Sith Lord your resume speaks to. Her treatment is the type of cheap pettiness that I'd expect from a struggling apprentice or a destitute master. Not a battle hardened Dark Lord that not only leads armies but intends to lead a grand campaign! You can tell a lot about a Sith and their leadership by how such a man treats his lessers."

Roshan watched the Sith Lord as he spoke. He had more to add but he wasn't going to push Darth Mavanger too hard on their first meeting. He didn't expect the two of them to become fast friends. But he wasn't here to necessarily make friends either. They were here because Darth Mavanger had sent out a call and Lady Sirena had chosen to answer it. As long as this helped Aliss get the training she need, Roshan was content. 

Of course, he was a bit concerned that Soulless had not chosen to come with them. Perhaps it had decided to seek training elsewhere. And to be fair, Roshan also admittedly had his doubts about Lady Sirena. Nevertheless, the Cathar was hopeful that she could be the mother figure that Aliss needed right now. Roshan knew he certainly wasn't a good fit for such a role. He arguably wasn't even fit to fill-in as her father figure. Yet somehow, here he was, standing on the bridge of the Wyvern in the middle of the Korriban spaceport with an angsty teenager, a devious midget, and a Dark Lord dreaming of grandeur. If there was one thing he learned early in life, it was that the universe never ceases to amaze.

___
image.png &  image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

"How would you do it then Roshan? Aliss.... Do you feel a need to prove yourself?"

"Is this how you've trained your apprentices, Lady Sirena?"

Roshan lips curled underneath his mask. He had got the Sith's attention.

"Durose, is it? You call my leadership into question. My skill in war. You claim me to be a peddler of false promises and delusions of grandeur. But will you back your words with your blade? Will you try to strike me down, to claim my place as a Lord of the Sith and claim your title of Darth? Or will you let them waste away, too afraid of what may come to act. Would you shame yourself and your... girl, in casting empty accusations and baseless slander? What I do with my slaves is my prerogative as a lord of the Sith. If you wish to take that, then draw your blade."

As the Sith angrily replied, Roshan listened carefully to his words. The Cathar had no time for basic pleasantries when evaluating this man. If Sirena wanted to follow him to their deaths, that was her prerogative. But Roshan would not blindly follow such a man, even if he did hold the title of a Sith Lord. Roshan had seen plenty of unworthy men and women wield such titles as weapons, consumed by their own arrogance and prestige. Far too often, they surrounded themselves with yes men and mistreated their inferiors until they and their big-headedness became the very architects of their own demise.

Of course, Lord Roshan’s aggressive approach was unquestionably dangerous. It lacked the manipulative grace of a Republic Senator, instead clumsily racing towards their inevitable confrontation like an unfettered Rancor in heat. 

"My very weapons that I would use to strike you down are trophies of my victories. You stand upon a fleet of my own making, preparing for a campaign of my design, and claim that I am not worthy of Lord. Perhaps you do not understand what it means to be Sith. Perhaps it is you who is unworthy."

The Cathar had played out a few scenarios in his head even before he had decided to speak up. While Darth Mavanger’s response was a "positive start," Roshan felt like his adversarial tone had clearly obfuscated the meaning of the Cathar's words. Deep down inside, Roshan knew that he would have to push harder. The very thought made him shudder ever so slightly. He did not have any Force powers to fall back on. A physical confrontation could turn messy quickly. Yet, he could not protect himself or Aliss unless he knew what battles this man would lead them into. He had no choice but to continue. Otherwise, they were as good as dead already.

Taking a knee, Roshan opened his arms widely. He hoped that the gesture could defuse the man's anger long enough for him to finish his thought. Aliss, meanwhile, took a step back, puzzled by Lord Roshan's display.

Should I bow before you because of a title? And if I do, does it suddenly change my meaning? You miss the purpose of my admonition. I’d even say that you ventured to assume slander where there is none. If a titleless moisture farmer can fell a Sith Emperor, you are certainly not above reproach or greater than he, are you? Or have you started your own empire, conquered countless words, and begun reigning as the Lord of the Sith since last I slept? I accredit you for your impressive victories. I concurred from the start that you are a battle hardened Dark Lord that leads armies and intends to lead a grand campaign! None of that was spoken in jest. Strike me down with your stick and lose an ally if that fulfills your vanity. But I assume you not to be so vain to have accomplished so much already.”

Roshan slowly lowered his arms but remained on a knee as he continued, A yes man, I am not. I have no interest in taking your title. But if you are too important to absorb criticism, no matter how unflattering or upsetting, then we will lose this campaign to those who surround themselves with opposing voices and allow them to speak. If I am wrong or baseless in my statements, correct me with your wisdom and I shall bend the knee again.” 

“I will not dress you down in front of the army,” Roshan added as he looked around the otherwise mostly vacated room. “But when we are among fellow Sith, I am not afraid to speak my mind. I will tell you the things that others are too afraid to say to you. My point is simple. Since you are an illustrious Sith Lord, make sure that no one can mistake it! Presentation matters because your would-be allies and the lessers who make up the bulk of your might will judge you in silence by how you treat those that you claim as your own and send out to represent your interests. What’s more, if fear, hate, and passion are our greatest weapons against our enemies, surely empowering those under your thumb with such powerful emotions and then making yourself the villain in their hearts will only increase our odds of eventual folly, would it not?

Lord Roshan paused. He had more he could say but he could tell that he was testing the limits of the Sith Master's patience. He had made his point as concise as he could muster on such short notice. There was no taking his words or actions back. He would now have to live with the results. 

For better or worse, the Sith Lord had heard his words. They would now be disregarded, countered, entertained, challenged, or outright ignored. Nevertheless, the Cathar was quite confident that he would rather quickly know what type of Sith Lord he was dealing with by the man's response. He held his breath in anticipation, hoping for the best but fearing that some degree of pain or death might surely follow.

In hindsight, Roshan had realized from the start that the man’s title and accomplishments confirmed his individual combat and Force prowess. He also had little reason to doubt that Darth Mavanger had the tactical ability to win the battles in front of them. But wars were actually won on the backs of the lessers and, in part, because of the leader’s ability to surround himself with capable advisors. A true general’s most valuable skill was most often his ability to evaluate and make decisions based on a collection of opposing opinions, not necessarily by his own personal prowess with a lightsaber, much less the Force. Otherwise, lowly Force-less soldiers wouldn’t still make up the bulk of the oil that greased the wheels of galactic warfare.

There will always be more of them than there will be of us. Otherwise, the whole Jedi Order would have never so easily fallen to two Sith, much less the Sith fallen time and time again to makeshift bands of rebels, pirates, and other scoundrels.

___
image.png &  image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

Roshan rose to his feet, eyeing the room around him before turning back to Mordecai. There were a few more present in the room than he had initially realized but that was yet another positive sign of proper leadership. Although his face was hidden beneath his mask, the Cathar grinned. He was very satisfied with Mordecai's performance, perhaps even impressed. Standing at attention, he nodded.

“You will have to excuse my excessive aggressiveness, Darth Mavanger. Or not, if that is your pleasure. It is a most crude way to get to know the superior, who will soon control all our fates, in such a quick burst.  But yes. While I might not agree with how you interpreted all my inferences, we can agree that I was, indeed, out of line. But you! You carried yourself with a level of class and authority that is to be respected. I’ve seen the misgivings and misdeeds of arrogant Sith that are small-minded and petty. I’ve seen how they treat or mistreat and disenfranchise their slaves and all the lessers around them. So my first impression had me worried.”

Stepping backward, the Cathar continued, “But while I’d like to see the slave treated better, regardless of “its” story, it would seem that that treatment isn’t representative of you or your leadership style. There are many foolish and arrogant Sith at Königreich des Teufels that I would not follow. But you seem to be the real deal. A true Darth worth following.. We are at your service, Darth Mavanger.”

With a slight bow of his head, the Cathar clasped his hands together in front of him and straightened his shoulders before returning to his stoic silence. All the while, Aliss stared at him with a befuddled expression, then looking to Darth Mavanger with a slight squint to her eyes, then looking back to the calm but still Roshan. Standing just off to Roshan's side and a few steps behind him, Aliss scratched her head a little bit. After a momentary pause, she simply shrugged to Sirena before attempting to match Roshan’s posture and await her next orders.

___
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan

Following Sirena out of the room, Roshan remained rather silent on the way to their quarters. After they detoured to the hanger bay, Aliss was quite intrigued. She wasn't sure what Sirena was up to but she was eager to continue with her training. She had still not forgotten Master Helios, even if Roshan was right about her whole experience simply being the illusion of a trickster.

Once the group had found a quiet location, Sirena motioned for them to sit. Aliss complied without hesitation, while Lord Roshan removed his mask before taking his seat.

"How do you really feel about Lord Mavanger? Tell me everything. Do not hold back. Let your true thoughts be voiced without consequence."

Aliss looked to Roshan, only to receive a raised eyebrow from the Cathar. She cleared her throat and turned back to Lady Sirena.

"I think he likes to sound important. He's kind of rude, actually. He even gave me the meanest look for no reason! And opened by trying to insult me for no reason, too! He's lucky Lord Roshan held me back! I was just waiting for him to try something!"

Aliss paused and looked over to Roshan, "Why didn't we put that arrogant windbag in his place?! On Ishvara you'd never let a human mouth off to us like that!"

The Cathar raised his eyebrow even higher, "I don't know about that, Aliss. But perhaps that was my mistake. A Cathar can only have so many enemies before one more is too many."

Aliss scrunched her face a little at the comment before looking to Sirena and rolling her eyes, "He's in one of those moods. Can I go back to my quarters? All he's going to do is ramble on and on and on and on. And maybe half of it will make any sense... if we are lucky!"

Roshan broke into a bout of hearty laughter at the girl's unexpected whining, "Well, perhaps, childyou should learn to listen better."

Hunching her shoulders forward, any excitement left on the girl's face disappeared. It was clear that she had surrendered to the inevitable lecture, conjecture, or ramblings that were to come. Lady Sirena had asked for him not to hold back so technically what was to come was all her fault. It was best not to fight it and just let him get it over with.

"The truth is," Roshan began in a rather monotone and matter of fact way. "I like Darth Ravanger and am thrilled to be working with him. My hostile interaction with him was never with the intent to fight him. It was with the intent to manipulate him and reveal his character. My experiences on Carida make me very leery of those who treat slaves as toys or worthless property and disrespect them for the fun of it. He established himself early on as someone who thought very highly of himself and his own ability to form opinions of others out of thin air without making any actual effort to get to know us. It was amusing, to be sure."

Roshan crossed his legs a little before continuing, "Of course, with such behavioral patterns set, is he to be just another Draken? Or worse yet, were we to follow a Lady Traya into battle? I refused to follow the likes of either of them to certain death. So it became immediately vital for me to know what type of man he was before we left. Not down the road or at the point in which it was too late and we were already as good as dead."

"So I had to know, what is he made of?" Roshan continued as he uncrossed his legs. "I baited him to show his power. When it comes to killing an adversary, it is helpful to know what their go-to Force power is when they are under stress or pressed. It is also helpful to know what powers they have access to in general. If he was as arrogant as and as bent on showing off the vanity of his power over others as some Sith, the setting we were in had him in the prefect position to strike. He was surrounded by friends and surely felt himself superior to me. It's doubtful you would have stopped him unless he intended on killing me. Instead, the Sith Lord could have flexed his powers against someone he could 'easily' defeat and have felt a sense of fulfillment many weak-minded Sith revel in."

Roshan's wandering eyes stopped for a moment and fixed firmly on Lady Sirena with a hint of excitement and satisfaction in them, "Instead, he showed himself to be a capable leader. He's not quite as capable as the giant, perhaps. He has a level of pride and possessive vanity that could lead us into situations where are margins of victory are dangerously slim because he overestimates his own prowess and expertise. Nevertheless, he does not seem to be so narcissistic that he would attack a potential ally to boost his own ego when threatened or to the point where he is unwilling to listen to those that disagree or even lash out against him. He's calm and level-headed enough to not be goaded or manipulated into a course of action easily, another trait that will serve us well if he's leading armies in battle."

"So you like him, even though he's a jerk," Aliss irritatedly replied with almost a hint of anger mixed with jealousy in her voice, momentarily interrupting Roshan's train of thought.

Roshan shrugged, "Like him? We don't agree on everything. He is young and brash in certain ways. Unnecessarily stubborn for his age. That can be used against him. But ultimately, I find him extremely prideful but not arrogant. A rare trait among Sith that will serve him well if we are to have success on this campaign without getting ourselves killed in the process. I was satisfied with our interaction so I stood down. Unless his actions change my assessment of his person and leadership over time, I am more than happy to follow him into battle and play the role of active observer for the time being."

Aliss pressed her palms against her cheeks while her elbows rested against her thighs. She signed a little as Roshan finished.

"What does that even mean?"

"What does what mean, child? I was rather elaborately clear."

"He's a jerk, Lady Sirena," Aliss sighed again, clearly fed up with the accolades being placed on this stranger who knew nothing and dared to call her weak and timid. "He thinks he's big and bad cuz he has a fancy title. And maybe he collected enough holy croms to get strong in the Force magic or whatever. But I bet without any Force powers, he's the one who would look weak and timid if he faced me!"

Aliss let slip a giddy grin as she imagined punching Darth Mavanger right between where his stupid nose and his ugly, Ortolan-colored eyes met. She'd watch the blood gush from his nostrils as the tears reflexively streamed out of his eyes and in that moment of disorientation, she'd knee him as hard as she could in the balls just for good measure. He wouldn't be nearly so smug and condescending then.

___
image.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan
  • Like 1

ROSHAN:

Roshan and Aliss listened in silence as Lady Sirena spoke. Then came the pipes and Roshan raised an eyebrow. Before Roshan could question her as far as her intent, Lady Sirena spoke.

"Pride and Wrath are powerful in their own rights. But fate has lead to a combination between the two of you, one of both Sins to stand beside the other. Before you two are ordinary pipes, simple and ordinary. I want you two to hone in on these and let your sins open you to the Force that flows through these objects. And if you fail, remember, no one is perfect and some are just plain weak."

Aliss looked to the pipe and then to Lady Sirena and then to Roshan. The Cathar remained silent. His arms were folded but one hand was subtly outstretched towards the pipe. His demeanor was calm and stoic. Inside, anger and frustration raged. This was as easy a manipulation of the Force as one could ask for. It was perhaps even a little bit insulting, albeit probably not intentionally so. She did not know of his training or his former master or his past in general. But ever since he had donned this Sith armor and intentionally accepted the Sith hex that his nemesis had placed on it, his connection to the Force had been more elusive than a well-connected crime lord skipping out on bail. He could best describe it as the Force equivalent to trying to regain your senses after a flash bang grenade had just gone off. Only, his "Force senses" weren't coming back naturally. He was having to work for every ounce of Force power he could muster. In fact, since his desperate outburst inside the Sith lab where they had found Solus, this was the first time Roshan had actively attempted to tap into the Force on any truly meaningful level.

The atrophy of his "Force muscles" left Roshan feeling exposed. If pride truly was his "sin," then humiliation was now his punishment. He refused to show it, of course, mentally fighting through the chaos of his mind like a soldier suppressing his flight response as the bombs go off around him and the blaster bolts whizz by, instead focused firmly on lining up and taking the next shot.

At first, the object began to rattle against the ground as if a large freighter was coming in for a landing a few feet away. That was a good sign. Roshan could finally feel what he had been looking for. Focusing in on it, he channeled his frustration into the object, his eyes growing wide and his arm rapidly reaching out towards the metal pipe before stiffening. The sensation was eerie for lack of a better word. Roshan felt like a bodybuilder who had awoken from months in a coma only to discovered that he could barely walk, much less lift the lightest of weights.

It was clear to Roshan that he would have to practically relearn everything before he'd have the level of control and subtly that he once had. Thankfully, though, this test wasn't about subtly and the pipe wasn't of substantial size either. With a forceful swing of his outstretched arm and a grimace, Roshan rapidly flung the steel pipe into the adjacent wall to a loud bang, followed by a series of clatters against the floor. Roshan allowed a momentary grin before a cold piece of durasteel whacked him upside the head and sent the dazed Cathar falling backwards, off of the cargo container where he had been sitting. His impact was the floor nearly knocked the wind out of his lungs as something heavy landed on his chest.

ALISS:

The girl looked to the pipe and then to Lady Sirena and then to Roshan. Everyone was silent. The girl stared at the pipe again and then at Roshan. She noticed his hand subtly pointed towards the pipe. 

I want you two to hone in on these and let your sins open you to the force that flows through these objects.

Aliss was all but certain that Lady Sirena must mean for this to be a sparing contest. There were two rod-like pipes just sitting there, after all! Lord Roshan was probably taunting her, attempting to make it look like she had a chance. As soon as she came at him, of course, he'd pull the pipe to himself and make her look slow and unimpressive. Or at least, that's what he thought would happen! 

When the pipe started vibrating on the ground, she was sure of it. It wasn't the first she had seen him pull a sparring object to himself during a demonstration. He was clearly waiting for her to make her move. But he was a fool if he thought she was still as slow as she once was. They had been through a lot since their last sparing exercises several months ago.

Your Sin is that of Anger and Wrath. This will be the easiest passion to draw upon in your time of need. It will define your life and your path as a Sith.

The girl had no idea what Lady Sirena meant. So she just let all her frustration and anger out, imagining that Roshan was that blue-eye Darth Arrogant and she was about to exact her revenge on that snob. Springing from her seat, Aliss leaped through the air and shifted her heels sideways, allowing the friction to slow her momentum as she slid up to the one pipe that was not shaking. Then, in almost one fluid motion, Aliss swiped the pipe from off of the ground and launched her attack at Lord Roshan with all her anger and might and force she could muster. She was determined to beat the pipe that Roshan was inevitably pulling to himself the moment he saw her grab the other. She'd show Lady Sirena and Lord Roshan force!

Her boots stomped against the metal floor of the cargo bay only three times before she vaulted herself into the air. She was surely a crazy sight to see as the girl came screaming across the room, both literally and figurately, with her pipe cocked and ready. Everything happened so fast but it almost felt like the world was moving in slow motion for a split second or two. She could see Roshan's eyes and his expression. It was almost as if he was so focused on his pipe that he didn't even see her coming. As he shifted his arm to the side, Aliss was almost certain he was going to attempt to knock her away but he was too early -- far too early -- and had opened himself up for her "kill shot." Roshan would now be introduced to the "force that flows through these object" and she'd be the winner of today's exercise. No stupid Darth would be calling her "just plain weak" anymore!

WHACK!

The pipe was a bit unwieldy for someone of her size and physical strength but Aliss was, nevertheless, impressed by the amount of momentum she was able to put into her swing. The Cathar's fur might have cushioned it ever so slightly, but the way his eyes seemed to roll back in his head, she felt confident that he wasn't going to be bouncing right back up after a hit like that. This was good because she had lost a hold of the pipe during the impact and she'd certainly need to recover it before she'd be declared the victor. 

Riding Roshan to the ground, Aliss cushioned her fall with his chest before rolling off and quickly regathering her pipe. Then outstretching it towards Roshan's neck, the girl giddily looked back at Lady Sirena. She couldn't believe she had beaten Roshan's pull! She'd never-ever-ever beaten Roshan before. Ever. Maybe there was something to this anger and magic vision gel and "holy croms" collecting after all!

"I win! I win!" She exclaimed, almost ready to jump into the air if she hasn't needed to keep the pipe at Roshan's throat to prove her supremacy.

Of course, in her excitement the girl didn't notice the Cathar's unconscious state, the blood on the side of her pipe, or the blood rolling down the side of his head from where she had blasted him. She was too busy taking in the accomplishment of her harnessing of her force like Lady Sirena had asked them to.

___
image.png.1219d99494a9fbedf2d1e0f4b4c51cd1.png & image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan
  • Haha 1

"Insolent child!"

Aliss instantly felt the powerful grip of Sirena around her throat. The girl could feel the blood within her own body boiling. She had been given no directions, still fulfilled the objective, and now she was being punished?! Gripping at her neck with her free hand, Aliss furiously hurled the pipe towards Lady Sirena. In the midst of her choking, the girl's aim was wildly inaccurate and the throw was weak at best. She would have cursed the witch if she wasn't so focused on the terrifying sensation of being strangled that she was currently experiencing.

Aliss stumbled several feet backwards, hoping that she could get out of range of her supernatural stranglehold. It was no good. She could feel the grip growing even tighter. She clawed at her neck, trying to scream out in rage. She could feel the veins in her head popping out, partly because of her anger and partly because of her loss of air.

"That is the will I am trying to teach you, the will your father grasped so easily before you struck him!"

Once Sirena finally released her hold, the girl's knees buckled and Aliss was left gagging for breath. After a few seconds, the girl's breathing returned to normal. By the time she caught her breath and looked up, Sirena was standing by Roshan.

"Try it again, but this time, without the use of your hands and on me. Attack me child. Let your emotions will it."

She was so mad about being punished for no reason, Aliss yelled back at the Sith, spitting as she spoke, "I can't do what you can, genius!"

She gestured towards Roshan angrily as she wiped some spit from the side of her face. She was so mad she could cry.

"I'm not a demigod like him or you! I do not have the blessings of the gods. Not even after stealing the Sith artifact! I thought it would make me feel different... 

She paused and looked down with hints of sadness and frustration in her voice, "But I am still just the same me. I am still a Lesser. All I have is my training, my speed, and my skill at combat."

Lady Sirena might have said something in response to the girl's comments but she was no longer listening. Instead, Aliss was raging inside.

The Force? Was that what this lady called it? Is that what this lady meant?!

Aliss was familiar with the superior energy that fueled the Blessed of the gods. As Roshan once put it to the Knights, "some are blessed to be gods among men and upon their shoulders falls leadership and through this superior life force or energy, they can perform amazing feats. Through the ways of the Echani some can focus such life energy better than others but the Lessers can never truly acquire the gifts of the gods. And that's okay. I don't expect you to. You don't need that to be elite Knights of Roshan."

At an early age, Aliss had been placed among the advanced students of Roshan's Knights. She had never quite understood what Roshan had seen in her. Some of the other Knights resented her for it, though, to be sure. They always claimed she was simply receiving special treatment because of the close relationship Roshan had with her mother. It made sense. She was no stranger to seeing favoritism play out among the inhabitants of the commune and her mother and Roshan were, indeed, close friends. But Rose had taught her never to waste her opportunities so Aliss never allowed their powers to stop her from pushing on.

Of course, favoritism wasn't as glamourous as everyone made it out to be. Roshan seemed intent on always scolding her but continually praising the other boys. She was never controlled enough or fast enough or calm enough. Her technique was either too sloppy or she made more mistakes than her older peers. Of course, it wasn't from lack of trying. And the longer she spared with the others, the closer to came to besting them.

This wasn't the first time she had been scolded from not feeling the "life energy" around her and allowing it to flow through or "mesh" with her inner spirit. But Roshan's lectures usually involved some foot positioning she messed up or an opening she left vulnerable or an attack opportunity that she had failed to capitalize on. It wasn't that she hadn't felt the energy or matched a demigod in his ability to use space magic! Her ability to harness her inner life energy was the one thing he actually praised on rare occasions. She was easily the fastest of all the advanced students, even Roshan's star pupil, Nomi. It was always her technique or attention to detail that had failed her.

Now looking up at the woman in this moment, the girl's head felt heavy. Instead of saying more or rising to attack the woman, she dropped her head in anger. She was so mad she was starting to feel its toll in the form of overwhelming physical exhaustion. This woman knew nothing. She expected the impossible. Aliss had mustered every ounce of "life force energy" she could to beat Roshan's pull and make her strike first. She had tried to tap into every congeries of the emotions she could, just as the lady had asked. And what's more, she had even succeeded! She had beat Roshan! He hadn't pulled the object to himself before she had reached him! Sirena had to have seen that! That was surely what he was attempting to do. That was the object of this exercise, was it not! To use the pipes and win their sparing match!!!

How have I failed!? Because I lack the powers of a demigod?! Because I can't choke her from across the room?! Because I didn't beat you both down before you could react?!

Now Lady Sirena was just stroking her own ego. Aliss knew she couldn't take her. If she wasn't going to play fair, all her mustering of all the life energy and speed in the world wasn't going to defeat a demigod. The holy crom had given her no new powers. The vision had not made her blessed by the gods. Lady Sirena had not taught her how to unlock the secrets of her ancient Sith artifacts. Aliss had nothing to attack her with. No means of winning. To attempt to fight now would be...

And then it hit her. In the flurry of seconds that it took for her mind to process the last minute or so of activity, a light suddenly flickered on in her head. Channeling all the angst she could muster, Aliss would show this arrogant idiot what she could do, even if she was simply an advanced Lesser.

Using her hands to push off of the ground, Aliss bounced to her feet, shooting forward like a track star shooting off of their block. Her pace quickened, her feet rapidly moving. At the same time, Aliss ignited her lightsaber and hurled it at the woman, lunging at her a split second after she released the saber from her hands. Her sidearm throw arc'd it slightly, hopefully buying her leap a little time. She doubted that she could beat the throw but she could definitely try. She honestly didn't know if her strategy would work at all. If Lady Sirena was anything like Roshan, she knew that the "Blessed" could stop objects in mid-air. But her intention wasn't to actually hit the Sith with the lightsaber. She'd surely stop that. Plus, killing the woman would significantly drop her chances of future training.

No, her intention was to distract Lady Sirena for just that split second. She'd play by the rules. She wouldn't use her hands this time. But could Lady Sirena stop the lightsaber and Aliss' knee from plowing her in the face if they both arrived at the same time? Lady Sirena had asked for her to attack, after all. If this was a training exercise to see what she was capable of and one downed foe was not enough, Aliss would prove herself worthy or at least go down fighting. She was tired of bearing all the insults.

"I am not weak and I am not a child!" She roared as the girl and the thrown lightsaber came rapidly sailing through the air at Lady Sirena.

___
image.png

Edited by Durose Roshan
  • Like 1