I just bought us some domains

http://www.starwarsfanfic.com/

http://jedirp.net/

Why? I was bored and had some money burning a hole in my pocket.

I set up the forwarding to go to our main page. But I want to have a keyword somewhere for "star wars roleplaying" for the search engines to pick up. Not quite sure how to do this though. It's been a while. Should I build my own page with the keyword in the title and then just have the rest of the page displaying our page?

Jedi Masters never die, they just fade away...

I teach SEO classes twice a week...

Domains don't have to have keywords in them. They don't get as much rank weight as, say, having the words in the content themselves. The key is making sure that Google can index said content (not hidden by requirements to login to read, for example.)

Social media activity is a marker. What you're really after is other sites that link to yours to give it "authority votes" or inbound links.

Site speed and interlinking content can also be a factor. Not having specific information pages or a blog section were users can submit articles (kind of like you can to Wired, HuffPost, etc.) could be hurting us because search engines want to provide people what they're looking for.

Is this site mobile-responsive? If it's not then we're missing out on all of the mobile traffic results. Over 60% of searches are happening on Mobile devices. That's why Google made a big change last year around this time to their algorithm where mobile-responsive sites get higher rank because of the user experience.

Yup just checked and this site DOES NOT pass Google's mobile-responsiveness test.

Have we hooked in Google Analytics to the site? There are a lot of other factors that we can use.

Things we definitely have in our favor that most of the clients I coach don't:

* Unique content that is frequently updated.

* Specific site focus -- but we could do better on this (the domains that were registered could help with that too.)

fMZZcER.png

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

“A Mandalorian woman's greatest talent is not her charm or beauty, but her strength of body and will.” - Mandalorian proverb

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. And making it grow.

fMZZcER.png

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

“A Mandalorian woman's greatest talent is not her charm or beauty, but her strength of body and will.” - Mandalorian proverb

Holy shit, wait, we have a shot at keeping our site?

Yeah. Somebody bought a new server, transferred everything, spent countless hours playing around with a programming language he barely understands, touched up a bunch of stuff, and although he went to bed at 4am last night feels like it was totally worth it.

We're really close, almost there, to launching the recruitment campaign. All I have to do is install a better social networking mod and then we'll throw some ads up on Google. I think, though, that personal outreach to IRL friends might work well also.

I was thinking of trying to get us a standalone phone app but it would be costly and not really worth it considering how easy it is to just pull up the site in a mobile browser.

Jedi Masters never die, they just fade away...

From my personal experience, I disagree about making a phone app.

We need to make the site mobile responsive instead. Asking people to download something just to participate can be just enough of a deterrent that they won't do it.

Web-based is best. I can build a mobile responsive website in HTML, but don't know how to go about it in PHP.

I have this argument early and often with misguided real estate agents that think everyone wants to download their app when Zillow, Realtor.com, etc. already have that market cornered.

Our equivalent is that people already have browsers on their phone.

Personal out reach is different than inbound marketing which are the strategies I'm advocating. I teach these strategies everyday at my job.

I'll have to look at my schedule and set up a time where we can all form a plan together. (May is kind of hectic with Piece Walk for Autism this Saturday, Mother's Day, our anniversary, running tables at two cons then going on holiday first week of June.)

fMZZcER.png

Great. So no pressure then

fMZZcER.png