Createspace (self-publishing)

The Jedi Master

Anyone else use createspace.com, a resource for self-publishing offered by amazon? It's a neat site, print-on-demand so there's virtually no up-front cost to get your title out there. It lists on amazon automatically and you can format your title for the kindle as well. I've published three titles so far and am working on marketing right now (I just purchase a website, Paper Street Press through godaddy) as well as completing more books. I've sold a few copies without even really putting any effort into getting my name out there. It's cool even if you just want copies for yourself, family, etc. A nice way to get started for us wanna-be authors, at least.

tjm2.jpg

Only after we've lost everything are we free to do anything.

Paper Street Press

I've always wondered, what are the benefits of self-publishing? I mean, it's cheaper, and you don't have to find an agent and go through all the rejection by multiple publishing agencies, but does it feel the same? Do you still feel like you published a book? Do people actually buy it besides people you know? How do you promote it without it taking up your whole life?

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

From what I can tell in the research I have done, those are exactly the tradeoffs. You don't have to deal with publishers taking their cut or demanding edits or rejecting you. However, you also don't have the publisher's reputation and distribution network, either. It is difficult and costly to get your books in bookstores and without a publisher, it is hard to actually make it big. A few have managed to do it, but most of the big names need the might and resources of a big publisher to get off the ground.

I've always wondered, what are the benefits of self-publishing? I mean, it's cheaper, and you don't have to find an agent and go through all the rejection by multiple publishing agencies, but does it feel the same? Do you still feel like you published a book? Do people actually buy it besides people you know? How do you promote it without it taking up your whole life?

Well, I feel like I published a book. I can't speak for anyone else. For me, I see it as an intermediate step. The books look just like any other paperback, they've got barcodes and ISBNs. I've sold a few copies to people I don't know, but I've done zero advertising so far. I just setup my website. I think my next step will be to have some author events at local libraries, talk with local bookstores about carrying copies. I get a certain satisfaction from knowing my books are available, and that's good enough. Earning some money is just an extra incentive.

tjm2.jpg

Only after we've lost everything are we free to do anything.

Paper Street Press

Okay, that's really cool. I was just asking because my novel is finally getting around to the point where I need to think about publishing, if I'm going to pursue it. I have certainly thought about self-publishing. I guess I just need to ask myself what I want.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.