The Hermit's Dojo - Mechis III

Lord Ar-Pharazon

Emily nodded, impressed, and finished her meal. She followed Quietus out of the room, letting him take the lead as he looked for a place that would suit their needs. Finding one, he made a few preparations while she stayed outside, talking to Roe'gall. She didn't know what his impressions of this mess might be. Quietus' insinuation that he had many failed attempts before Roe'gall made her a bit concerned for him to witness the possibility of more failures. She knew Roe'gall's devotion to her was beyond anything, but tuk'ata were pack animals, and she didn't think he would take kindly to her killing too many of his kind. Not that he would turn on her, but she didn't want to deliberately hurt their bond.

Therefore, she spoke reassuringly and affectionately until Quietus was finished, then together they strode in. It was a simple set up, with places for them to sit, and a small low table with a bowl and needles on it. Emily nudged Roe'gall towards the nest that Quietus had made for him, then gave him a strong inclination to sleep. The beast willingly curled up on the mats and promptly went to sleep.

Emily took her place across the low table from the tall Sith. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and centered herself. She knew this was going to be tricky, but no where near impossible. She knew it was theoretically and practically possible--Roe'gall himself was proof of that--and that Quietus had done it before. She also knew that she had inherited her father's ability to see things at a molecular level. Even at a very young age, she had been manipulating air particles so that she could move faster. Therefore, she looked forward to this challenge with anticipation.

When she opened her eyes again, they looked steadily into Quietus'. "I'm ready...Master."

Emily%202015_zps34rpkjob.jpg

"Days in the sun...what I'd give to relive just one. Undo what's done, and bring back the light."

As Emily sat down and indicated that she was ready, Quietus nodded. He allowed himself to take a single deep breath, and then spoke.

"Crafting Roe'gall was no small feat, as I am sure you are aware. But on a basic level, the process is not too far removed from crafting your first lightsaber. Each component must be aligned perfectly. Each must be added at the precise moment, in the perfect order. Just as with training one learns to lift a starship with as much ease through the Force as a pebble, so too does the mindset work in reverse. The pieces of your creation may be smaller, but they respond to your will all the same. We will reach into the very essence of this blood, to the genetic code of the very cells themselves, and bend them to our will. That is our path... But there is more to it than just our actions; there is a matter of philosophy and reasoning..."

Whether what he was about to say was something Emily expected or not, it did not matter. Whether she wanted to hear it or not, it did not matter. Before they could truly begin, Quietus needed to know that Emily understood fully what this process meant. She was a smart young woman, and it was completely possible that she had figured out this dark secret during his time among the dead. He turned to look at Roe'gall off to the side for just a moment, before he turned back to Emily, picking up one of the needles as he did so.

"You know how well of a killing machine Roe'gall is, but did you ever stop to wonder why this was so? Or even how his seemingly natural Jedi killing techniques came to be? How about his enormous size, well past three times that of a normal tuk'ata you would find in the wild, did you ever wonder about that? Or perhaps you wondered why he was such an instant companion to you after I was taken from the living, effortlessly turning to guard you, to protect you, and to accompany you? The answer to all of those questions lies in front of you Emily. I, am that reason."

He allowed the last four words to sink into her mind, studying her for her unspoken reaction.

"In order to create Roe'gall, I merged my own genetic code into his. That is why he is such a skilled hunter of Jedi, why he is much larger than natural... and that is why he watched over you and followed you as he did. Because there has always been, and will continue to be, a part of me within him. That is the key to this entire process. That is the reason why so many failed when he did not. To create a beast of such power, such ferocity, and still be able to control it, there needs to be a connection to the beast; an understanding. it is for that reason that I too carry some of Roe'gall within me; shortly after his creation, but before he matured as you see him now, I injected some of his successful blood into my own. That is why our bond remains, even with him calling you his master now."

The knowledge that he had just imparted upon Emily was sure to be a revelation in many ways, but there was still more for the Sith Master to show. This time however, the news would not be as pleasant or easy to deliver.

"Which brings me to another revelation for you, one which might be harder still for you to accept without pain. Just as he carries within him a portion of me, he also has you within him. His bond to you is strong because... After your murder at the hands of Ar-Pharazon and the Black Sun agents, I collected some of your blood, and injected it into him as well. It was the only way I knew that I could be sure that such a fate would never occur again, even if my own hands were tied as they were then. He would not allow it, even going so far as to completely ignore any commands I tried to give him."

There was a distinct amount of guilt hidden behind the words that had been delivered so elegantly, like the lesson this was to be. His gaze was steady even then, snapping only to watch the needle in his hand rise and cross the room towards Roe'gall. He had not expected Emily to beckon the tuk'ata to sleep, but sensed her reasoning when she initially sat down. In the end it did not matter however, as all that was required was a sample of the beasts nearly perfect DNA to be used. Silently the needle pierced the beasts skin with little resistance, causing little more than a snuff and twitch of the beast's brow in response. Soon enough the needle floated back to the waiting hand of Quietus, who looked upon the crimson blood held within.

"This will be our guideline; our tool for comparison. And when we find ourselves successful - a matter to which I have no doubt - it will serve another purpose still. But alas, I have rattled on enough about the methodology and philosophy behind my work prior. It is time to show instead of tell. First, we must examine our starting specimen, then...."

As Quietus began the lesson proper, he set the needle of Roe'gall's blood back on the table and with his other hand he withdrew the vial from his belt and dumped it into the bowl that had been sitting upon the table, empty until this point. With the Force, he lifted the blood as a large glob that slowly floated into the air. Throughout the entire procedure, Quietus rarely took a break from speaking, his voice remaining calm and direct. He began by telling Emily of all the negative aspects of tuk'atas; those qualities that would not serve them in the new creation, and where to find them hidden within the genetic code. He then told and showed her, through the Force, how identify the genetic code itself and how to re-arrange it to completely eradicate the negative qualities. Once he felt that Emily understood the general process of how to sculpt the code, he began relegating her tasks to complete within, taking advantage of her already honed skills of manipulating particles and directing them further. Not only did this give Emily first hand experience at crafting and reorganizing the genetic code, but it allowed the entire process to evolve rapidly, with Quietus completing his own segments while she did hers, while still keeping an eye on her work. He was constantly providing her feedback, answering questions she might have, and encouraging her both verbally and through the Force. When Emily would reach a point of completing her assignment, Quietus would look it over himself and point out any mistakes or missing elements. On several occasions during the exercise, it was Emily herself who had found a superior way to construct the genes, proving just how adept she was.

At one point, Quietus introduced the already extraordinary genes of Roe'gall, mixing the two samples together to build upon the success that was currently snoring in the corner of the room. From there Quietus showed Emily how to match up the two samples, taking key elements of Roe'gall and infusing them into the new creature. At some junctions, the two were mixed and compounded upon each other, while at others the code from Roe'gall was inserted fully, and at still other points, the aspects of the original sample proved to be superior to Roe'galls. As minutes turned to hours and all concept of time was lost, the two Sith continued to craft the genetic code hidden within the cells at their disposal. As the strain on their mental conditioning continued, Quietus found himself having side thoughts of amazement at Emily and her ability to keep up with him. A part of him wanted to take credit for that skill, but knew that it was much less due to his teaching of her than the other elements of her life.

Finally, the last element of the exercise came, and it would prove to also be the most difficult. This was the point that Quietus had failed at above all others in his initial forray into this art. While he held their combined efforts steady, pressing his will into keeping the various elements of the genetic code together with the Force, he rolled up the sleeve of his tunic - having abandoned most of his armor towards the beginning of the lesson - and reached for the second needle that was upon the table, speaking for the first time with strain behind his voice.

"It is time to...add my own blood to this mixture, a move which will bind the creature...to me and give it some of my qualities, just as occurred with... Roe'gall. This is the most complex... portion of the trial Emily, and one that I have... barely mastered myself. I fear it would prove too challenging... for you to accomplish successfully. Up until now... we have only been.... mixing tuk'ata blood. But this... this involves binding... it with... my own. But with your support, the burden... upon myself will be eased, making this binding...that much easier to accomplish... I will... show you rather... than teach you. Watch... carefully...learn what you... can..."

Without taking his eyes off of the floating glob of blood in front of him, Quietus extended his hand open towards Emily, silently asking her to place her own within, while with his other hand he carefully stuck himself and extracted his own blood to be added to the mass. With his mind so transfixed upon the task before him, he had no room to spare in suppressing the pain of the needle, as his brow furrowed ever so slightly. The moment that Emily took his hand, she would once again find herself connected to his mind, suddenly awash in his dark glow and intensity. He was not, however, connecting her to his entire mind, keeping her protected from the intensity of what he was doing. Instead, he was feeding off of her presence within, using it to calm the chaos that was swirling around in his head. Having her there with him, the feel of her skin on his hand and the presence that seemed to glow with her smile allowed Quietus to redouble his efforts, to focus with renewed vigor and push the strain and exhaustion aside. Only then did he risk injecting his own blood into the glob and begin the nearly incomprehensible task of binding his own genetic markers with those of the tuk'ata. He did his best the entire time to make sure that Emily could see though his eyes, see where his focus was and what it was doing. Undoubtedly there were times when those attempts would fade out, but all it took was a squeeze of Emily's hand to renew his vigor in the task. He was fighting a hurricane, and she was anchoring him.

The entire last segment of the process took Quietus nearly forty five minutes to complete, by which time he was soaked with sweat. His jaw was visibly clenched in those final agonizing moments, and his grip upon her hand had likewise tightened over time as well. But the moment had finally come, and Quietus had reached the apex of the mountain, and was now teetering upon the precipice.

"NOW! It is finished! Quickly! The needle!"

His words were hasty and almost breathless. So focused was he, so drained by the process, that the only sign that Emily had heard him and was moving to capture the glob of blood in the medical needle was the dissemblance of her hand in his. Only when she had captured all of the blood in the needle did Quietus relinquish his hold and his concentration, immediately falling backwards and laying on his back. There was no effort to slow his decent, and he was quite sure that his head had made a painful sounding thud as it hit the bare cold stone beneath it. But Quietus did not care. He allowed himself to stay there for a few moments, listening to the thump of his own heart and feeling the cold stone upon his back.

Now it is out of my hands... He thought, idly drumming his fingers upon his chest as mentally double checked the work he had done over the last forty minutes. He stayed in that position for five more minutes, not speaking, just taking in his surroundings and enjoying the sudden difference in levels of chaos. It finally took the gentle touch of Emily to cause Quietus to move, turning to look at her with a devilish grin. If nothing else, to show her that he was NOT dead or comatose.

1fE1uLv.png

I ate a hippo. It was delicious.

May the Forth therve you well...

For a while she simply sat there, legs folded up to her chest with her arms wrapped tightly around them. Not once did she stir to wipe away the occasional tear, but they never really seemed to stop. Alone with her misery, her mind was numb to the passage of time. Better yet, it was numb to the thousands of questions swimming in her drowning mind. All she could do was feel all that disappointment.

She would never be like him. Never be strong enough to protect herself, so that he didn't have to worry about her anymore. Why did he even bother keeping her around if this was what she would turn out to be? Surely he knew from the very moment they met nine years ago. Why did the greatest man in her life continue to leave himself vulnerable with his affection for her, for a creature that was so terribly weak. Everything she had read in her father's library, every lecture of his she ever attended, told her of how deeply he pitied and despised the weak, the ones not capable or willing to save themselves from their fates.

After an hour, though to her felt like little more than a few minutes, she finally rose. Her feet carried her but her mind was still wracked with despair. Her head sunk low, but her eyes didn't really register the floor. Passing by Aryian, she didn't even really pay him any heed either as her feet shuffled on, drawing her toward nowhere.

It wasn't until an intense heat washed over her that she finally looked up. She stood at the edge of a cliff just outside the dojo, before the great span of factories and machines. Heartlessly the world churned on beneath her, completely unaware or uncaring for the great weight of suffering she felt. What was the point if she couldn't be strong? Aryian said that everything was as it should be, but why should this be? She could feel the greatness of the Force, feel how powerfully it touched everything, how interconnected it made it all. But she couldn't touch it without falling to that darkness, that unimaginable horror. If she hadn't pulled herself out of meditation when she did it would have just continued to spiral down even further until eventually there was no chance of return. In her heart she knew this to be true. How could she ever survive those depths? How could she ever survive the alternate and never be truly free?

Looking down over the edge of the cliff, she guessed she was maybe half a mile up. There was no fear, no spine shivering exhilaration at the precipice. In fact, her mind felt very clear, if not being muddied by endless doubt and self loathing. Only a single question. One that burned in her very soul for an answer.

Will it even matter?

The process was just as difficult and challenging as Emily expected, but she loved it. There was something incredible about taking the building blocks of life, changing them, nurturing them, making them what you desired. It was the essence of power, to control something down to the very basic building blocks of life.

The news that Quietus had incorporated his own DNA into the mix shocked her. It meant that Roe'gall wasn't completely tuk'ata. She had known he was a mutant, but she had assumed that had been done by manipulating already present genes. The fact that that wasn't completely the case was surprising. The fact that he also contained some of her own blood was equally surprising, if only for the fact that his body hadn't rejected it. Clearly, tuk'ata blood and human blood were somewhat compatible. That surprised her greatly.

They worked for what must have been hours, honing, making subtle adjustments here, tweaks there. A few times Emily saw some connection, some unity in the underlying base structure, that Quietus hadn't seen, allowing them to progress quicker and more efficiently at points. For a moment in the middle, she toyed with switching out a chromosomal pair and making the tuk'aa female, but then pushed the idea aside with a smile. Quietus needed only one woman in his life.

The process was intense and intimate. They were working so closely together, each of them so focused not only on what they were doing, but what the other was doing. It was like a dance, where each partner had their own steps to form the complexity of motion.

Finally, they reached a turning point. With strained breaths, Quietus explained what was going to happen now. He reached out his hand, and she took it, allowing him to anchor himself to her, both literally and metaphorically. Then the Force, which had already been a whirlstorm of action, now grew and magnified. Quietus drew on it more and more, and Emily began to feed him a stream of energy to keep him focused and anchored. She didn't fear him getting dragged off into the depths of the whirlpool, but she would do what she could to help him. They stayed that way for a long time. Emily could see the whole thing from within Quietus' own mind. She could see him as he formed the bond, drew the DNAs together, and merged them into one.

Finally, the moment they were waiting for occured. Emily let go of Quietus' hand as she seized the empty needle and filled it with the modified blood. Quietus fell back on the floor with a clunk, and Emily examined the blood in the Force and with her eyes. Then she took a deep breath. The spell that had been over them since the moment they began broke, and it was like coming out of a hurricane into a warmly lit, cozy room.

She set down the needle and touched Quietus on the shoulder. He grinned at her, and she returned it. "I think we have a success on our hands," she said.

"Days in the sun...what I'd give to relive just one. Undo what's done, and bring back the light."

After giving himself a few more moments to recover from the ordeal before finally rising to his feet, picking up the needle that was filled with the precious crimson liquid. He studied it one final time, finding that it had turned out much better than he had expected. Despite Emily's earlier joking, all the signs were pointing at the fact that this tuk'ats would indeed be better in some elements than Roe'gall. She, however, did not need to know that.

"We have the beginning of one, of that I am sure. Now we must place this into one of the cloning vats, make some adjustments to its settings, and await the results."

As he spoke, Quietus made his way towards the cloning room which was right next to the room they were currently in. It was one of the main reasons he had chosen the room, and for a few brief moments considered just blasting a hole through the wall with the Force. But this was not his dojo to redecorate; it was Aryian's, and he was a guest here. Upon arriving in the cloning room, Quietus moved silently to the largest of the cloning vats, and began making the proper adjustments in settings to facilitate the blood he was intending upon cloning from. The entire cloning chamber was smaller than the others he was used to working with, as well as the equipment being somewhat outdated. But to a point this served him better, for there were not as many restrictions on changing the settings as some of the newer cloning vats would have had.

Finally, when the settings were to his liking, he introduced the perfected tuk'ata blood into the machine, and started the cloning process. He had not shown or told Emily what about the settings he had changed, and to a point there was a purpose behind that. She was already a quick study, and had proven herself skilled at manipulating the genetic code faster than Quietus himself had been able to pick it up. He wanted to ensure that it was he who still held the upper hand in it.

Just because I taught her everything she knows about the process, doesnt mean I taught her everything I know...

The old phrase ran through his mind, bringing a small grin to his lips as he watched the machine before him start the process. Finally he turned on his heel to Emily, and spoke.

"Now comes the waiting. I would like to remain here and keep an eye on the machine while it works, but that does not mean you have to stay. Go, perhaps you can find Aryian and ask him those questions you had about the stances and forms. I will remain here until it is finished."

He walked to her and pulled her close, enveloping her in his embrace both literally and figuratively, planting another kiss on her lips before releasing his embrace, and returning to the machine, adjusting a setting slightly. Whether she stayed or left, it made little difference to Quietus. He did desire her by his side, but knew that she was her own woman, and he wanted her to take advantage of the time she had here to learn from Aryian. There would be plenty of time down the road for the two of them to spend at each other's side. After adjusting the setting, he took a few steps back and sat down on the floor, falling into a bit of Sith meditation to allow himself to recover from the process, as well as letting him stay connected mentally to the new creature growing before him inside the cloning vat. He would nurture and guide its development, and he would be the first voice inside the beast's head.

The molding of his deadly tuk'ata was not over yet.

1fE1uLv.png

Emily smiled a little to herself. She could almost see what Quietus was thinking. He clearly wanted to remind her that he still was the master here. If anyone else had acted that way, Emily would have been insulted, but she knew Quietus well enough to know that it was merely his pride that was causing his actions. It was fine with her. Let him think what he liked. But she knew that he had already been impressed with how fast she had picked this up, and that he had not done so so quickly. She knew this may be more of her forte than Quietus'. Nevertheless, she returned his affectionate kiss and took his advice, leaving him to his meditation.

A flick of her mind woke Roe'gall and brought him to her side as she walked through the halls of the Dojo. She knew where Aryian was--his presence in the Force was unique--and it didn't take her long to find him. When she did, she was surprised to see him standing between two statues of Sith she recognized. The first was clearly the great Sith Master Kakuto Ryu. She had never met the man, but the entire galaxy had heard of his exploits. The other statue was of Quietus himself. It was a good likeness, although not extremely life-like. Or maybe that was just because Emily knew him so well. This statue was cold. There was none of the expression that often lurked behind Quietus' eyes.

"Hello Aryian," she said after a moment, turning her mismatched eyes on the Gray Master. "Is this a good time?"

The Master swam in the Force for what felt like a miniature eternity, its songs speaking to him like they spoke to nobody else in the galaxy. Whispers of what was before, what was presently happening, and what would be played upon his senses, no clear thoughts or patterns, a jumble of everything. He was no longer able to make sense of the song, to see clearly all of eternity. He missed it, but understood the heavy price behind it. All too well he knew that price. And then a voice woke him from his reverie, the Force's whispers gone, his senses returning and reaching out.

"Hello Aryian. Is this a good time?"

For a half second, his mind raced. The situation at the dojo had rapidly changed, and his mind was elsewhere. Silently, he cursed himself for being such a careless daydreamer. He was a Master of the Force, not some teenager wishing for a better tomorrow, he should have known better.

"Actually, no. If you don't mind, I'd like you to check the front doors. I think you'll find we have a visitor. I would tend to them myself, but I have something more important to attend to. I will find you when I am done, I apologize."

With a quickness, Aryian turned, rapidly navigating the halls of the dojo. It didn't take long before he found her. She stood at the precipice, he was within earshot, but not close.

"The answer is no. It won't matter. The galaxy will turn on, and you are an insignificant blip among the masses. A few people will care, but they will move on. Your Father will have another child, or not, and though my promise to him will be broken, it will not affect me much. But."

He took a few steps closer, not moving next to her, but a few yards away, to the cliff's edge, looking down at the molten scar below.

"That's the point. It won't matter to anyone else. But it should matter to you. You have your whole life ahead of you. So you had a setback. Everyone has setbacks. You think you're the only one who is cursed with the burden of the Force? It doesn't matter if you can touch it like most who are able or not. It is a curse either way. But everyone, everyone before you who has had trials and tribulations because of it have overcome their troubles one way or another and are stronger for it. The few who did not...nobody remembers them. You're fortunate. You are among people who can help, who care, even a little bit, about ensuring you overcome your demons. Imagine if you were born in a different place, and no Force users ever found you. You would be labeled as an outcast in your society and possibly even killed because of it, simply due to the fear of the unknown."

He then looked up, directly at her.

"Jump. Or don't jump. I told you I was here for you. I am. But if you want to throw my help away, if you want to be just a disappointing memory to your father, go right ahead. Or, you can come to your senses and forget this nonsense, and put this behind us. Your choice."

The silence was deafening as he shifted his gaze one final time, back down into the bright, blazingly hot metal below the cliff.

Immediately reachable by  charlesjhall@gmail.com

Blz1mwg.png

So what, this just another test? Staggering odds bent against me just to see what I'll do? Distantly, her soft voice finally escaped. Rose, in all her child like meekness, seemed and felt like a completely different person than what Aryian had met just a day before. She never once looked up from that fiery finality to see the concern on his face or show any sign of receiving his words of caution.

I have only ever wanted one thing in my entire life, ever made one choice on my own. To be completely free, wearing only the chains I want. It may sound selfish or unrealistic, but its the type of dream you hold on to.

She knew Aryian would let her jump if she wanted. That was just the type of man he was, that much was so easy to see in the Grey Master. He neither held nor desired any influence in anything but his own life. That, more than most any travesty she had witnessed in her life amongst the Sith, was perhaps one of the most selfish. This Grey Master was a lot more like the Dark Lord than he probably cared to admit.

I don't know if my Father has held me back, or if its me. I don't really know if he loves me for me, or what I represent. Or even what importance I hold to him. I don't doubt the love I feel from him, but where it comes from.

She was standing on her heels now, with her toes hanging just over the edge. Honestly, the way he sees so far ahead I can't even be sure he didn't send me here to die just like this.

Finally she looked at Aryian, uncertainty the only thing left for her to feel. I refuse to be a slave to the Force or any callous fate it has for me.

Aryian looked up, not at her, but to the horizon, a grim yet raw stony look on his face.

"Then fight it."

Memories flooded back to him, back when he was a Jedi, fighting against the Empire and Sith for a peaceful place to raise his family in. Now he knew that would never come to pass, but back then it was all he needed, the thought that one day, he wouldn't have to fight, he wouldn't have to worry about his family's safety. He and others wouldn't have to take up arms, fight and die so that their loved ones could sleep safely at night. But now, he knew the truth, and if he didn't accept it and simply make his peace with it, he would be just like Rose, at the edge of a cliff, wondering if all he was, all he had done, all he would be would ever truly matter. And deep inside, he knew the answer.

No.

But he was okay with that. The only thing he could do was affect those around him in a positive way. To add his own strength and knowledge to the multitudes among the stars. Because if nobody did...then the galaxy would crumble like so much dust. Maybe his fate wasn't that of a warrior anymore, and though he could not simply forget his past, he would carry on into the future doing what he could, what he knew he must do. Until his light faded from the galaxy, and people spoke his name no more.

"Your father does. I did. Many others have. This might all be a test, one life has thrown at your feet, but not one I've devised. I cannot guarantee it will make a difference. I know of nobody who has escaped their chains, as you call them. Your father included. But if you fight, you have purpose. You have direction. You have cause to continue on, and keep fighting another day. You will not be remembered long after you die. But while you live, you can affect everyone around you. The smallest action can spark revolutions. If you doubt your father's love, then don't do it for him. Do it for yourself, for what may lie ahead for you. You want to make a choice, make one right now. Either way, you will have made a choice for yourself regardless of your situation. Stepping away from this nonsense will be just as affirming as stepping off that cliff will be: you will have shown that you are strong enough to face your demons."

Blz1mwg.png

Emily nodded. She respected Aryian's timing. His request was an interesting one, however. She nodded again, indicating that she would do it, as he headed off, no doubt towards the troubled swirl of emotions that Emily knew was Rose Furion. Glancing up at Quietus' statue one last time, she turned and headed out the entryway into the heat and smoke of Mechis III.

She opened herself to the Force, and immediately sensed a dwindling life force. Her feet automatically carried her to a crumpled figure on the ground not too far away from the entrance. "Hello?" Emily sank to her knees beside the figure. It was a young woman, bloody and tattered, with a rag tied around her eyes. The Force told her the woman was barely conscious. "Come on, let's get you some help. You'll be alright." She kept up a stream of encouraging words, subconsciously also pouring a steady stream of positive energy into the woman. With a heave, she lifted the other woman in her arms and found she had to transfer her immediately to a fireman's carry. Even then, she needed the Force to keep her steady and not jostle the woman too much.

Emily carried the other woman directly to the med bay and laid her gently in a bed. "Don't worry," she said, "you're safe here. This is a dojo for Force-users, run by the Gray Master Aryian Darkfire. Don't worry," she repeated.

She was concerned for the other woman, but only in a way that a complete stranger could be. It was clear that she had been through a lot, although what particularly, Emily couldn't tell. Mostly, she was curious. What brought someone to this metal-working droid factory of a world? What could have happened to her to cause her wounds? And why had the Force led her here?

Hello... Hello...

• Come on .. .. .

You will be alr...

Blackness filled the sky and pain gave way to nothingness.

• Ariana felt her body floating in a sea of darkness.

• She could feel no pain, but there was no escape.

• She fell endlessly to a bottom that would never come.

Visions of her mother and father flitted through her unconscious mind and pulled away without direction. Thoughts were chaotic, but she could feel herself struggling to stay alive. Her pulse was still there pushing forward; one beat after another.

She felt her ethereal body solidify atop a cold pliable surface and her descent slowed to a crawl. She could feel the surface beneath her fingers, but there was no contact with her feet.

_____ (3 minutes)

Medical droids scurried through various nooks and crannies to assist the wounded young woman lying unconscious in the infirmary. They padded her broken leg, tended the burn wounds on her hands, removed a few large pieces of shrapnel from the girl's back and peeled away the bandage on her eyes to find that she had none. There was a small system error based on her not having eyes, but the droids set to work cleaning the wounds regardless. Once they were finished, they used bacta infusions and patches to relieve most of the pain and refreshed the bandage over the young woman's eye sockets to prevent the wounds from being exposed to the atmosphere. Then they set her up with some clean sheets and some plain clothes to change into when she was ready to walk around again.

One of the droids nearest to Emily said, "She needs to rest , but she may wake up in time. I don't recommend that she get up any time soon and we do not know what happened to her eyes, but there is little we can do for that right now. She lost quite a bit of blood and that is why she fell unconscious. Lady Skywalker, do you know this woman? We have no medical record for her and she does not seem to check out in any personnel database as far out calculations can tell."

The medical team hooked the young woman up to two small IVs, one filled with blood and another filled with saline, to help level out her system and build up the necessary amount of blood and nutrients to regenerate what she lost.

____________________ (20 minutes passed)

The darkness was dwindling and a bright light loomed over her in the distance.

Am I dead? Ariana thought to herself, reaching toward the warm white light with curious anticipation. Is this what it feels like to die?

For a moment there was a flash and the bright light was gone. Her head swam and suddenly she could feel her arms. Her senses slowly flooded back to her and with time her faculties were restored. However, she still couldn't feel her legs, portions of her back were a bit numb, and her hands were muted as if they were touching large marshmallows or clouds.

She cautiously lifted her head and drifted from side to side. There was darkness here, but this darkness was different than the last. This was an absence of sight, not an absence of consciousness. Ariana tried to use the force to see like she would normally, but her head was too light. She had to lower it again and wait before going that far.

Something felt odd though. She began to feel the medical instruments doing work throughout her body. She could feel the IV's in her arms, the pads on her right leg, and the patches spread out all over her body, but something was still off. There was an odd scent that she wasn't used to that rose above the familiar smell of medical machinery. Even through her contested state of consciousness, Ariana could still feel a mysterious scent rising in the air nearby like an unconscious musk.

"Is- Is someone there?" Ariana asked. Her voice was shaky and the words didn't quite come out exactly as planned, but the message was solid nonetheless.

Arianasig.png

Several hours into his meditative vigil over his new creation brought with it the first time Quietus opened his eyes and physically looked upon the mass of bone and tissue being cloned before him. It would take many more hours before it would begin to resemble a proper tuk'ata, and even more still before the creature would be ready for its birth from the cloning tube. However, at this point there was enough to look upon to gauge just how successful his efforts had been. For all intents and purposes, Quietus had spent the last hours in a meditative rest, remaining aware of his surroundings, as well as the state of the clone itself, but other than those distinctions Quietus might as well have been asleep. His awareness was through the Force, external to his body, allowing it to rest and recover from the marathon sessions of strenuous mental activity he had gone through; both of them. All throughout his rest, Quietus continued to make minute adjustments to the cloning process, both in terms of the settings on the machine, as well as by delicately guiding the growth process of the tissue. Any growth that differed from his mental plan was instantly dealt with and repurposed before the mutation could fully take hold. It was all going quite smoothly. But then Quietus 'awoke' and looked upon it with his own eyes.

What he saw sent an immediate surge of panic, despair, and anger bouncing through his body. His jaw clenched, his fists tightened and his entire body tensed on that brief moment, no more than half a heartbeat. Quietus did not see what he expected to see in that moment. What he saw was so foreign to his mental process, what his mind had laid out to be the series of events, that it utterly confused him. But as his gaze narrowed and he began throwing more and more of his calculating mind at what he was presented with, the pieces of this new development began to click into place as a few stray strands of his white hair fell in front of his face. The sight before him was certainly unexpected, but it was not as much of a cause for alarm as Quietus' mind had initially jumped to the conclusion of. On the contrary, it was a sign that - at least one portion of the event - had been utterly successful. The revelation of it brought another grin to Quietus' otherwise stoic face.

He took the time to stretch his neck from side to side, knowing full well that he would be sitting here for many more hours while the Tuk'ata continued to grow before him. He amused himself momentarily by thinking just how cramped his legs would be by the time he rose back to his feet, remembering back to how much of an annoyance it had been when he created Roe'gall. Slowly he allowed himself to slip back into the restful meditation, closing his eyes and reaching out and touching the partially cloned tuk'ata with his mind. Despite what Quietus had seen when he opened his eyes, everything felt right - nay, perfect - with the tuk'ata. And so Quietus went on, prodding the clone like a newborn baby, testing for responses and guiding its development along the path he had laid out, already imprinting himself upon the creature before it was fully aware.

As the time continued to pass, Quietus allowed his mind to drift ever so slightly, thinking back to all that had happened since his return to the living. He recalled briefly his encounter with the nightsister Qaela as he meandered through the deserts of Korriban, their conversations about her inability to control her anger, and the trip to Coruscant. He allowed himself to wonder if Qaela had actually gotten off of the planet once Quietus decided to part ways with her; as he recalled, she had never flown her own ship and seemed unreasonably perturbed at Quietus' disposal of her acolyte pilot. Whether she had known it or not, and no matter if she liked it or not, Quietus simply knew better than she did in those moments. He briefly recalled the feeling of anticipation and wonder that he had experienced before arriving on Mechis in regards to the fate of Emily. There was the warmth of knowing that Emily had not only survived, but perservered while he was gone, and the raw emotion that was present during Quietus' appearance and delivery of the gifts of her parents.

He chose, with another grin spreading through his face, to skip his recollection of the more, intimate, time he had spent with Emily, feeling that it was not the proper time to recall such things. He instead skipped forward to the appearance of Rose, and the gift that she had bestowed upon him at the behest of her father. These were the thoughts and moments that caused Quietus to slow his mind and consider the entire situation more carefully, a luxury he did not have earlier when he was caught in the moment itself. Furion had foreseen the return of Quietus, and on top of that, decided to deliver the Sith Master a gift. The gift had been delivered by Furion's own daughter, barely a teenager, who had all but fawned over and fainted at the sight of Quietus. A stray tangent of thought began to question why Rose was here in the first place instead of being trained and groomed by her father, but that tangent, like an erratic branch of a tree, was cut off before it could develop much further. It was clear now that Furion was attempting to gain favor; either the Dark Lord saw Quietus as a threat to his mantle, and thus was attempting to pacify the Sith, or he valued what Quietus could bring to the table. He was, after all, a veteran of numerous battles and wars in his time and had a valuable amount of insight and experience to call upon. As Quietus considered it all further, he recalled back to some of the things that Emily had said when they first reunited; about the attack on Coruscant, and the order being rather shattered now. it was on these grounds that Quietus finally decided which of the two options Furion was pursuing.

Quietus was a smart man, but he knew Furion was smarter still; the Dark Lord was more of a cunning mind in terms of planning as compared to Quietus' more warrior skewed ways. Furion had always been a behind the scenes kind of Sith, a master of chess to Quietus' chess piece. This was even more so true if the Dark Lord truly did have the power of foresight. He would not risk attempting to pacify or neutralize Quietus when the order was already so broken. To do so would be to open the doors for the Jedi to wipe out the Sith once more. And by his estimation, that had occurred far too many times already in the galaxy's history. Furion was seeking Quietus as an ally, as a trusted confidant and brother in Sith; a role that Quietus was more than happy to provide. If he could assist the Dark Lord in revitalizing the Order, in showing the galaxy just how dangerous even a handful of Sith could be, he was all for it. Having made up his mind about the Dark Lord, Quietus spared a portion of his mind from its monitoring of the cloning station, and reached out with the Force. A moment later, the ornate box had floated into the room and landed softly directly in front of Quietus. Another heartbeat brought with it the sound of the latch opening, and only then did Quietus' eyes open once more.

As he reached for Navemiba, intent upon finally attaching the chained blade to his armor's gauntlet and bracer with his hands and the Force, Quietus' mind continued to ponder the next moves that the Sith Master would take. As he set about anchoring the chain, he decided that such a gift as this merited a gift in return. But this was no mere Sith that he was to give a gift to; it was the Dark Lord of the Sith, and as such, the gesture would have to be grand. Slowly, Quietus began considering his options.

His hands continued to attach Navemiba, while his eyes kept the vigil on the tuk'ata in the cloning vat, and while his mind mulled over what one acquires as a token of gratitude, thanks, and allegiance to a Dark Lord of the Sith at a time like this. To say Quietus was completely occupied would have been an understatement.

1fE1uLv.png

Emily sat there for some time as the med droids hovered around, working on the young woman. She knew that Aryian wanted her to look after their guest, and she had little problem doing so, although she did wonder how the progress was coming with the tuk'ata. She reached out once or twice and found Quietus deep in meditation, so she left him in peace.

The droids were constantly asking her for information on their patient, but Emily had none to give them. So once they had bandaged her up as much as possible, the bustle died down, and soon it was just Emily, one droid, and the patient in the room. It was at this point where Emily sensed a return to full consciousness in the guest. A hoarse shaky voice emerged, and Emily came forward and took the girl's hand gentle. "Yes," she replied. "My name is Eris." She didn't know who this woman was and why she was here, and she felt her Sith name offered her a bit of protection from some of the more distasteful options. "I found you outside this dojo. You'll be safe here."

She let the words sink in a bit. She didn't know the diagnoses, but it wouldn't surprise her if the woman was in some state of shock and confusion. "What is your name? How did you come to Mechis III?"

The woman who responded sounded young. She was the one that talked with Ariana as she drifted off into unconsciousness. The timber was pretty, almost like a flute, but Ariana was less hung up on the sound of her voice and more hung up on the questions she asked.

"What is your name? How did you come to Mechis III?"

Ariana's head was still woozy. She could hardly think straight, but these answers weren't very hard to find. They were the last things she had been thinking about before she went under. Ariana paused for a moment and 'looked' in Eris' direction. She didn't lift her head off the bed as much as she turned it to face her guest as best as she could.

"Well..." Ariana said with a sharp cough. "My name is Ariana La'vohn and I hail from the planet of Alpheridies." Alpheridies sounded a bit like, 'Aplerides' as she coughed once again, clearing a small clot of blood from her throat. "As to how I got here... That is a little more complicated."

Ariana struggled on how to say it properly. She couldn't just say that bandits kidnapped her again, could she? Gosh when was this headache going to go away. Why can't I come up with a definitive answer. I need an aspirin.

"I was being held in a storage crate on a small freighter. The freighter crossed Mechis III airspace with hostile intentions and was shot down. I managed to survive capture, but only barely, then hobbled here." Her words were still strained and a small portion of the center of her forehead screamed out in pain.

Arianasig.png

More and more hours passed by as Quietus sat there on the floor, his focus in three different directions to accomplish three tasks. His hands moved rapidly to and fro as if they were being controlled by someone else, his eyes never leaving the ever growing tuk'ata before him, while his mind raced with possibilities about the Dark Lord's gift. It only took the Sith Master two hours to decide upon his gift to Furion, something which would be grand enough to reflect his position as the Dark Lord, yet still be a useful tool for the Sith as a whole given the order's current circumstances. It would indeed be a grand gesture by Quietus; if he could pull it off.

Another four hours saw his hands come to a stop, having completed the attachment of Navemiba to his armor, seamlessly integrating it into the gauntlet and bracer. The end of the chain was attached to the lip of the bracer next to the seam where it met the gauntlet, with the entire length wrapped around the bracer, covering it two times in chain, until it reached the blade itself. The chain was wrapped with only the smallest amount of looseness to it, but not enough to come undone. He did not want to stess the chain, merely to contain it. This also served to allow for the blade to be tucked, chained end first, between the two layers of chain on the inside of Quietus' arm. The position was effective at keeping it out of the way when not needed, and yet easily accessible when it was. For all intents and purposes, Quietus could 'shoot' the blade with the Force from its position and have the chain uncoil cleanly from around the bracer. it was a move he had practiced a few times before settling on this set up. With his hands idle, that left only one thing for Quietus to focus on, allowing his full mental capacity to be brought to bear upon it.

It would take another six hours before the Tuk'ata was fully grown, a massive beast that seemed rather cramped in the cloning vat. Fully grown, and fully developed, but not yet aware. The beast would twitch every so often, idle kicks and movements that Quietus could not help but watch as the muscles ripped beneath its skin, which seemed to glow given the lighting. There would be no mistaking this tuk'ats for Roe'gall, of that much Quietus was sure. The developments that he had noticed earlier were so well pronounced now that to not see them, one would have to be blind. Despite it being still confined to the cloning chamber, Quietus could tell even now that this tuk'ata was bigger than Roe'gall, though not by much. He had told Emily that this time the results would most likely be superior to Roe'gall, and it appeared that his prediction had been accurate.

Quietus rose to his feet for a final time, finding that he was indeed rather stiff from sitting in his resting meditation for so long. He had no doubt that he would walk funny for at least 15 minutes, but set about stretching out his muscles and joints that had sat idle for so long. He adjusted the settings on the cloning vat one last time, and took an even closer look at the beast confined to the chamber. While Roe'gall had been simply large for his species, this one was distinctly more muscle packed; Quietus could hardly find a spot on him where his muscular build was not defined and showing through its skin. Roe'gall was strong for sure, but this one seemed to be more of a perfection on the muscular system itself. There would be no wasted energy or movement; the entire muscular system would be beyond efficient.

With an oddly happy sounding chirp, the cloning vat signaled that its work was completed. Quietus regarded the control panel once more quickly before taking a step back to admire the beast as a whole one last time before he set it loose upon the world. These moments were the safest the galaxy were going to be for a very long time. Once the beast was birthed from the cloning tank, there would be no turning back. With a deep breath, and knowing full well what was about to happen within the cloning chamber room, Quietus reached out with the Force, and hit the button to release the tuk'ata - release it into the room, and upon the galaxy. Quietus was given less than a second to admire the beast as it hit the floor with a damp thud. The next, the beast was already up on his feet and had covered the distance between them with a massive leap, teeth bared and snarling.

The moment was nearly identical to what had occurred when Roe'gall was first created, save for one glaring detail. As the tuk'ata landed, Quietus caught the beast by the base of its skull, attempting to hold the massive beast's snarling teeth at arms distance. Even that was a bit closer than Quietus would have liked, but the perils would yeild even greater results. The actual act of catching the beast in this manner sent Quietus' feet sliding back across the semi-smooth stone of the floor, threatening to topple the Sith Master - who was himself not a small individual - to the floor and give the tuk'ata a massive advantage. But Quietus' balance and strength held him upright, and now had the massive beast's head right in front of his face. It struggled against his hold, gnashing its teeth and attempting to swipe at his arms with its massive forward paws. Quietus however, held the beast there and stared into its eyes.

It was how he had broken Roe'gall's initial attack upon him, and how he still to this day got important messages and orders across to Roe'gall. It would do the same for this new tuk'ata. Quietus said nothing to the beast, just stared into its eyes, peering past them into the soul, until it slowed and ultimately stopped its attack. Only then, after the room had gone silent save for the heavy breathing of the tuk'ata, did Quietus strike. With all the precision that was required, Quietus smashed his own will into the mind of the tuk'ata, bringing with it the words of its new master. The impact was great enough that the beast, easily twice the size of Quietus, visibly withered as its legs folded slightly, and let out a very loud yelp that was no doubt heard throughout the dojo. The yelp was a mixture of surprise, pain, and fear... It was exactly what Quietus required as his voice filled the beast's mind.

I am your creator and your master. Your will is mine. My will is your purpose. You are to be my instrument of war, my spear and my shield. We will hunt Jedi, and you will feast upon their flesh and chew upon their bones. Obey me and serve me, and you will be treated well and rewarded in kind. Disobey me and you will know the pain that I inflict upon the Jedi. Do you understand?!

Quietus gaze never varied, never showed the slightest sign of faltering as he continued to stare into the eyes, mind, and soul of the beast between his hands. After a few moments, during which the tuk'ata attempted to break free again before its brow furrowed slightly, finally blinked under the intensity of Quietus, and huffed heavily, its eyes opening with much less fire and rage.

Good... You and I are one my pet. My blood runs through you, and you were created for me, by me, and from me. I have given you life, and I give you purpose. You will be at my side, and you will share in my victories and defeats with me.

Quietus finally released his grip on the beast, but kept his eyes fixed on the tuk'ata to ward off any sudden change in disposition that might occur. Only after a few moments did Quietus risk removing his eyes as well, taking the time to finally examine what his creation had become. To say that it was successful was clear, but the scope of that success was only now coming into view. The new tuk'ata was only an inch or so shorter at the shoulder than Roe'gall was in comparison, but as he had noticed earlier, this new tuk'ata had a distinct amount more muscle mass to him. Quietus surmised that while it might make Roe'gall faster and more agile than this beast, the difference would be slight if even noticeable. Content with what he saw, Quietus reached up to scratch the beast behind the ear, only having to pause slightly as the beast regarded the hand movement. The tuk'ata was still feeling Quietus out, as was Quietus feeling out his new pet. The two would learn together as time went on, just as Roe'gall had.

Over the next hour, Quietus went on to explain a number of things to the tuk'ata; telling him that he was not to attack anyone unless Quietus directed him to, and to stay behind or next to Quietus at all times. As time went on and Quietus felt he could trust the beast, more privileges would be added. He began training the beast, specifically to resist or at least diminish the affects of Force manipulations that so many Jedi tended to use. Quietus knew however that he could not teach the beast everything in a day, much less an hour. it would take time, and he was willing to spend it if it meant having another asset like Roe'gall. Finally Quietus ended the lessons for now, as both he and his new Jedi eating monster were growing quite hungry. With that, Quietus left the cloning chambers to make his way back up through the dojo towards the cafeteria that he and Emily had eaten in earlier. The tuk'ata followed, albeit slowly and cautiously, taking in its surroundings.

Everything was new. The feel of the stone under its paws, the taste of the air it breathed, the sounds and scents that filtered through the hallways. For now the only thing familiar to it would be Quietus. It was that connection that would keep the tuk'ata in the shadow of its new Master. As they continued to pass through the dojo, Quietus reached out with his mind to find Emily, if for nothing else than to inform her that the process was completed. He found her presence in the medical bay, a fact that sent a flash of concern and worry though his mind until he realized that he felt no pain from her. Either way, Quietus amended his path to carry him there instead.

He arrived to find a number of medical droids bustling about, most of which panicked as droids would at the sight of a new tuk'ata. Quietus ignored the droids, but could feel his beast's wonderment at these new devices, which it clearly thought would be fun to chew on. Quietus refocused its attention with a wave of his hand as he continued through the med bay and found Emily standing over another young woman in the med bay. Quietus could see that whoever she was, the woman was in bad shape. Quietus however, had not come to inquire about this woman, though the topic would no doubt come up. As he entered, the woman was barely speaking, and so Quietus waited just inside the door, hoping to remain out of the way for the moment. What he could not hide though, was the massive Jedi eating six foot beast that came pawing into the room.

What made it even more hard to hide, was the fact that this Tuk'ata was completely snow white as oposed to Roe'gall who was completely black.

1fE1uLv.png

The woman's story was interesting enough, though vague. The impressions Emily got through the Force were of some terrible thing that had happened to her that was being left unsaid. Indeed, it reminded her enough of her time being kidnapped by slavers that she wanted to have the med droids double check that Ariana didn't have a ton of chemicals and toxins in her blood stream. But she knew the droids would have noticed and taken the appropriate measures.

"Well, Ariana, all are welcome here. Eventually, I'm sure the master of this dojo will seek you out. I'm afraid I can't answer too many questions; they are better directed at him. For now, rest and recover, and know that you are free to do so. The droids will take care of you." After a moment of hesitation, during which she felt Quietus' mind brush hers, she gave Ariana her comm frequency. "I'll do what I can if you need anything until Master Darkfire comes by."

She felt Quietus approaching before she heard him. "I'll let you rest," she told Ariana. "Excuse me."

Rising, she turned towards the door. What she saw caused a large smile to cross her face. A snow white tuk'ata, at least as large as Roe'gall, was there, hulking, his large frame dwarfing the room. She came forward and crossed the room, going over to beast and his new master. "Come," she said softly. "Let's not disturb the patient."

Once they were out in the hallway, Emily's grin returned. "He's gorgeous," she exclaimed, examining the tuk'ata. She could tell he was more sheer muscle than Roe'gall, but in her mind that wasn't necessarily a good thing. It made him unnaturally bulky, and she knew that the bonus of additional strength would come at the cost of some agility and adaptability. Nevertheless, that would probably work out well as a counterpoint to Quietus' fighting style. She walked slowly around the beast, examining him from every angle.

She could tell that the monster was chomping at the bit. It wanted to attack her, to kill her. But Quietus was holding it back, much as he had done in the beginning with Roe'gall. As she examined him, she also took the opportunity to impress her presence on him. A tuk'ata would respond to any Sith with sufficient willpower, and Emily had that in abundance. Greetings, tuk'ata. I am Darth Eris. We fight as part of the same pack. Together, we are strong. She spoke to the beast with her mind in the language of the ancient Sith. It was a language she had been studying over the past few years as a means to strengthen her communication with Roe'gall, and while she was nowhere near fluent, she was beginning to be proficient.

She returned to Quietus' side and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Are you pleased? He seems to be exactly what we were hoping for."

Her eyes got a sudden mischievous sparkle. "Let's introduce him to the other member of our pack." Roe'gall had been left outside the medical wing when she had brought in Ariana, and so Emily led the way to where he waiting, growling with impatience, in an adjacent hallway. When he saw the white tuk'ata, his demeanor changed from jubilant at his mistress' return to wariness. He uttered a low growl unlike any Emily had ever heard him make. The white tuk'ata returned it, and the two began to circle.

After a moment, Roe'gall leapt, teeth bared, at the other tuk'ata. For a moment they clashed, filling the hallway with a terrible din of screeching claws on metal and rumbling growls. The younger tuk'ata might have had the advantage of strength, but Roe'gall had experience. After a moment, he got his white brother to the ground, his teeth on the back of the other's neck. They held it, struggling a bit, and then the white tuk'ata let out a low undulating rumble. Roe'gall released him, and Quietus' pet hunched his shoulders and nuzzled Roe'gall under the jaw.

Emily traded glances with Quietus. "Looks like Roe'gall is still alpha tuk'ata," she said, the mischievous look back on her face. "Your youngster needs to do some growing up. But he'll learn from the best."

As Emily turned and saw the tuk'ata for the first time, he could not help but grin ever so slightly. He nodded silently and beckoned the tuk'ata to turn and follow as well. It did so with the slightest of snuffs, clearly wanting to look around and investigate the new surroundings, and was instead forced to leave just as he entered. It was clearly upset about this fact, but had learned enough to follow Quietus obediently. The beast did manage a quick sniff of one of the medical droids however, which unforunately scared the droid enough that it dropped several expensive looking medical devices.

Once outside, Quietus again grinned slightly as Emily examined the white tuk'ata. He sensed the beast's wariness of her circling him like she was. It made the tuk'ata incredibly uneasy and Quietus knew it. It would however, serve the purpose of allowing how far the beast could be agitated before he would have to 'tighten the leash' as it were. The breaking point as it turned out, was just a whisper away. The tuk'ata was still extremely put off by the sound of Quietus' voice in its head, and so when Emily impressed her own into his mind, the beast snapped. So quickly infact, that Quietus almost failed in stopping it. The Sith had to literally pin the beast's legs to the floor and muzzle it with the Force to prevent it from lashing out. To a point, Quietus was a bit angered by the whole situation. It was as he had feared in the moments leading up to this event; so well behaved and trained was Roe'gall, that Emily had no real perspective on how dangerous this new and fresh tuk'ata could be.

As Emily returned to his side, the beast's eyes followed her until they crossed Quietus' imposing figure, and only then did the rage and anger fade away from within the beast. It knew instantly that it had crossed the line that Quietus had put in front of it, and suddenly feared the consequences. But Quietus would not punish the beast any further, finding that the shame and fear it felt now would suffice as a reminder in future events. After all, it was not entirely the beast's fault. Emily had too crossed a line, one that she probably did not even know existed. She kissed him on the cheek and spoke again, a question to which Quietus answered with a nod and casual smile. As she practically ran off down the hallway, Quietus sighed slightly, having hoped to introduce this new tuk'ata to Roe'gall slowly and carefully. It seems Emily was fit to throw all of his precautions and plans out of the window today.

Quietus followed Emily as slowly as he could manage without making it appear that he was stalling. There would be far less time than he had hoped, but as they walked QUietus placed his hand upon the beast's neck and spoke to it. After what had just occurred, Quietus saw the tuk'ata visibly wince once more as he entered its mind, but allowed only a heartbeat to pass before he pressed on.

She is an ally my pet... My legacy, my creation as much as you are. All that she knows of this world, of you, I have taught her. You need not fear her, nor need you bend to her will. She is special to me, so you shall not ever show aggression to her either. Do you understand?

The beast's massive eyes shifted to Quietus for a second as it pressed against his hand in understanding. Quietus then risked a glance down the hall at Emily's back before turning back to the beast.

Good... You have much to learn, but I am pleased with your progress. Now then... There is another like you. A beast of your species, as powerful as you, but older and more experienced. I too created it, and it responds to the name Roe'gall. You too shall receive a name soon enough... a distinct name that is special to you. Now, when you see this other --

Quietus was not allowed to finish his thought as the tuk'ata's attention was quickly and efficiently snapped away from its Master. Quietus had run out of time, and knew, even as disciplined as Roe'gall was and as fearful as this new tuk'ata was of Quietus, nothing could stop what was about to happen. The moment that Quietus heard the low growl coming from Roe'galll, there was little he could do but let the natural instincts of both beasts take over. To deprive either of the instinctual actions would amount to tearing out a piece of them, a move which would serve no one. Quietus merely sighed, taking a long blink as the two tuk'atas began to circle each other. But it was only then that Quietus realized his folly. The still unnamed tuk'ata was not the prey in this situation, but the predator. It carried inside it all of what Roe'gall was and more. A perfect combination of a wild alpha tuk'ata from Korriban, the Force aptitude of Quietus himself, and the nearly perfected genes of Roe'gall himself. It knew everything that had been programmed into Roe'gall from the start, and understood it just as well. Quietus watched in sheer wonder as the white tuk'ata's instincts kicked into overdrive and began actually planning out its attack, something that Quietus had never sensed from Roe'gall. It knew its opponent like few others did, and it knew where to strike.

It let Roe'gall make the first move, a snarling leap that the white tuk'ata dismissed easily by jumping up on its hind legs and redirecting the momentum downward, almost slamming Roe'gall into the cold stone floor. The fight, the show of dominance would have ended right there, as Quietus saw the beast aiming to clamp down on Roe'gall's unprotected brachial artery. There was only one thing left for Quietus to do. With more power than he had ever used during his breaking of Roe'gall, Quietus assaulted the white tuk'ata's mind. Leaving it stunned and shocked. The outward appearance of this attack however, was simply that Roe'gall suddenly gained the upper hand, and by the time the younger tuk'ata recovered, it was already in the vulnerable position.

STAY. I forbid you from killing it; This is Roe'gall. This is your ancestor, and your brother. He is older than you, and more experienced than you. You will respect all that he has done to serve me, and my female ally. You will see much of them both, and they will aid us as much as you aid me in my goals. Do you understand?!

There was a vast amount of haste behind his words to the beast, and it took a few seconds for it to accept the words as truth and order. It uttered a low undulating rumble from deep within its body, ultimately accepting that Roe'gall had come out appearing more dominant. It rose its feet, sullen and beaten, looking quite pitiful.

Now, apologize to Roe'gall for almost killing him outright...

It dared only a glance at Quietus before it nuzzled Roe'gall under the neck, and made to return to Quietus' side as the Sith visibly rolled his eyes at Emily given her last comment. Quietus patted the white tuk'ata on the head in an attempt to comfort the beast's bruised ego before turning to address Emily. HIs words did not carry the mischief that continued to sparkle in Emily's eyes, but were rather serious and almost stern.

"Roe'gall is alive to be alpha male because of my actions Emily. Twice in the matter of five minutes, you pushed an event upon my new pet that it was not prepared in the slightest for; First you try to impress yourself upon its mind, when it is barely accepting of my own voice, and now you present it with another of its kind, of which it has never seen before and does not know how to react? it is a wonder that neither got hurt. You do not know what these newborn clone tuk'atas are capable of. Your only experience with their kind comes from Roe'gall, who by the time you took possession of, was already heavily trained. This one is not. Roe'gall won, because I had to stop this youngster and order it to submit. Do not fool yourself into believing that Roe'gall is superior, especially not right now."

Quietus sighed heavily, his mind finally catching up to the words that were pouring out of his mouth. He saw the expression on her face change, and became fully aware for the first time that he had basically just spent the last minute or so yelling at Emily. The woman that he loved, the woman to whom he had trusted his greatest creation until today. He loved her and saw her as his companion in life and war, and here he was yelling at her like some common apprentice. It was not somethign that he wished, but it was something that he knew he should expect. They would fight, and given that they were both Sith, their fights would almost assuridly be much more intense and rage filled than normal. But he had wanted their fights to be upon even ground, not the manner in which he had just spoken to her. She was no longer his apprentice, and it was clear that parts of him was still struggling with that fact.

He sighed once again, finding that his gaze had dropped to the floor and he had fallen silent for far longer than he had intended. He raised his eyes to meet hers once more, unsure as to what the mixture of emotions on her face and in her eyes was. He spoke once more, this time the rage and stern tone gone from his words, replaced with a calm sort of concern.

"Im... sorry. I just had a very specific plan to bring this tuk'ata into the fold more subtlety than this. Like I said, he is not used to any of this. This place, the smells, the sounds, the air... It is all new to him. I did not want to overexpose him; I wanted to give him time to adjust to the surroundings before throwing all these new things at him. It almost tackled you to the ground and tore your arm off when you invaded its mind.... And I did not have enough time to tell it about Roe'gall or his existence before you brought them together, I want them to work together, not compete against each other. This tuk'ata does not know where that line between kill and play is yet, as Roe'gall does."

He sighed once more, looking at the white tuk'ata, which had sat beside Quietus and was still looking quite pitiful. The Sith gave the beast a good scratch behind the ears and petted it slightly with a small smile before he turned to Emily once more, and walked towards her. As was becoming his custom, he reached out and pulled her against his form and kissed her on the forehead, looking down at her as he continued.

"You are right though... He does need to do some growing up, and he will learn from the best; us. All of us. You, me, and Roe'gall. We all will have our parts to play in teaching him."

He stepped back slightly, and took her hand into his and made moves to walk down the hallway with her at his side, a smile growing on his face.

"But first, we really should name him dont you think? I Seem to remember promising you that privilege..."

He silently bid that the young tuk'ata follow him, which it did rather sullenly. When it reached the point that Roe'gall was still standing at, it stopped for a moment, looked at Roe'gall, and then looked back at Quietus. Then with as much dignity as the beast could muster, raised his hind leg, and urinated on his older brother before dashing off to catch up to Quietus, hoping that its Master had not seen, and that it would protect the young white tuk'ata from any repercussions that came from Roe'gall itself. Quietus had not seen the little display of domination physically, but knew of it, and cracked a silent smile as the tuk'ata caught up to him.

1fE1uLv.png

Ariana's body was cold and inert, but she could feel a glowing warmth deep beneath the surface of her skin. Her will to survive burned brightly underneath the surface and some part of her was ecstatic that she was still alive. Other parts of her though, were just glad that there was plenty of anesthesia. Her throat was dry and cracked from lying asleep with her mouth open for so long, but she managed to return appreciation for the company that Eris gave her. She didn't really know her and for all she knew, Eris could have been part of an even bigger bandit group and Ariana was only changing captors, but right now Ariana was just glad she was being allowed to recover. She would freak out or figure out where she was at another time.

When Eris got up to leave, another smell replaced the pleasant one that she had created with her presence. It was foul and humid. It smelled like death and strangely enough, fur and dander. It had a strong sense of some sort of canine creature mixed with a corpse. It was unpleasant to say the least and Ariana burrowed what she could of her head into the pillow beneath. It did little to mask the strong odor, but with her head buried in the folds of the soft fabrics, she slowly started to realize exactly how tired she was. Within minutes she began snoring quietly and drifted off into a pleasant sleep.

Hours later, after Ariana had a very strong nap she awoke and propped herself up on her elbow. Her head still throbbed and although she still couldn't feel the pain in her right leg, it was clear to her that she wouldn't be able to walk on it for a while, even if she stayed in bed for a few days. It would take a few weeks or some serious healing to get walking sooner than that. She might find some use in a crutch or two, if they had them.

Her thoughts were a bit clearer and her words were a little more solid, but her throat was still dry. She paused for a moment and swiveled her head around to test her muscles and found that they were working pretty well all things considered. She groped softly for the force and found it readily available. The energy seemed to swell here and she could feel the tingly feeling prickly at where her implants once were. Blue outlines perforated her mind and she was finally able to see again, even if it the shapes were only akin to blue ghosts.

"Well that’s a start." She said to herself looking around once more, giving deep thought and consideration to her surroundings. It had been ages since she’d been in any type of medical facility and there was something about the cleanliness that kind of put her on edge. Why did things have to be so clean? She thought. She immediately knew why, but she didn’t ever really bother to stop being uncomfortable when she found the answer.

She rolled over until her back was parallel to the bed and held herself up on both of her hands. They were covered in bandages so she wasn’t able to feel the stinging burn marks underneath, but by now the pain had already subsided due to the bacta treatments.

"What is this place?" She said aloud to herself. The same bright light that had been her salvation in the mechanical wastes was now encasing her. Every corridor lit up with bright blue outlines. Ariana could see a couple of people milling about and watched as energy soared through the air around her.

Arianasig.png

She could sense a lingering caution and hesitation in Quietus, but it wasn't until he spoke that Emily realized he was angry with her. His words were berating and belittling, the words of a master to his wayward apprentice. It got a rise out of her. He didn't trust her, didn't believe she was powerful enough to take care of herself. Among the Sith, that was the ultimate insult. "Well excuse me for not being so all-powerful and all-knowing as you," she said sardonically. "Yes, I've never seen another tuk'ata besides Roe'gall, but don't take that as complete ignorance on my part. Even the most basic search will tell you that tuk'ata were bred to respond to Sith and that they hunt in packs. These two things alone justify my actions. In addressing his mind, I was testing his responses in the former, and in introducing him to Roe'gall, I was seeing if he really was tuk'ata, and not just some mutant that looks like one. From what you just said, we clearly pushed aside too many of his natural instincts."

A spark of anger showed in her eyes. "Don't make the assumption that if you hadn't been here, I wouldn't have been able to handle myself." She remembered full well how Roe'gall had attacked her during her early days as Quietus' apprentice. While she treated him as a valuable ally and friend, which he was, she never forgot how ferocious he could be when released.

Quietus suddenly sighed and softened his tone. His apology deflated her anger, and she looked at the floor. "I'm sorry too," she replied. "I didn't mean to yell at you." She had just gotten him back; she didn't want to be angry with him, or push him away. "You're right; I should have consulted with you first. I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, and it was foolish of me not to follow your lead."

She submitted to his kiss and squeezed him back, letting him take her hand as they began to walk down the hallway. Quietus turned the conversation to naming the new tuk'ata, and Emily was silent for a moment as Quietus told her she should name him. She wanted to give him a good name, a strong name, one befitting the pet of someone like Quietus. Nothing was coming to mind, so she stretched into the Force.

For another long moment, she was silent. But then a word came to her, a word in the tongue of the ancient Sith. It was a word she had never learned before, but as it came to her mind, she knew the meaning. It was a word that meant diamond, but not just in the general sense of the word. As with most words in the Sith language, it had a darker meaning. It referred to the diamond's unbreakable strength, it's usefulness, and the pinpoint destructive capability it had when modified into a cutting implement. This beast, with it's white hide, would be such a weapon for Quietus. Strong, destructive, and useful.

The name fit him, and so she uttered it. "Vex'aedr." Whether or not Quietus knew the meaning of the word, the Force would speak it to him, she knew, just as it had for her.

"Vex'aedr...."

Quietus repeated the word as little more than a whisper, letting roll off of his tongue, as if testing it against his pallet. For a moment Quietus wondered where Emily had heard the ancient Sith word, as there were few who knew enough of the ancient language to pull such a word out of the air. Quietus was one of those few, and knew what it translated to in basic, as well as getting the meaning behind it. He turned to look at the white tuk'ata, the word still bouncing around in his head as he considered it for a name. All at once Quietus stopped, letting his hand fall from Emily's as he turned fully to regard his pet.

"Vex'aedr... Yes. It is a good name, full of meaning and power. It suits him well my love."

He reached out and placed his hands on either side of the beast's massive head. There was progress even in this, as Vex'aedr did not recoil or flinch at Quietus' movements, having finally accepted the Sith's physical touch as natural and not cause for reaction. The number of times that Quietus already had given the beast positive reinforcement with his touch -a soft pet along his shoulders or scratch behind the ears - was surely helping this along. Even now as he noticed the change, Quietus scratched Vex'aedr's neck with his fingers as he spoke to the beast in its mind, his tone even and calm to illicit the least amount of reaction. Even so, the beast's eyes narrowed and its brow furrowed, still not used to, or much liking for that matter, the idea of having Quietus in its mind.

You have been deemed worthy of a name my pet... From this moment on, until you find death or death finds you, you shall be known as Vex'aedr. Your strength will be unbreakable, as will be your dedication and loyalty to me. You will be a tool of destruction, capable of breaking anything or anyone that gets in your way. You are Vex'aedr, diamond of the Sith.

The affirmation was received and answered with a low murmur of sound from Vex'aedr, almost like a purr. It pressed its head further into Quietus' hands, showing its understanding and acceptance of the name. As Quietus released Vex'aedr, the Sith could have sworn he saw a new fire, a new zeal in the beasts' eyes, as if suddenly having a name made it feel like it had more of a purpose. As its master watched for a few more seconds, Vex'aedr padded around the hallway, taking the opportunity that came with the group having stopped, to explore its surroundings. At various points it stopped and sniffed around, targeting with his nose everything from the floor to the walls. It even risked so much as to lick the wall, a similarity that was not lost on Quietus, as he had seen Roe'gall do the very same thing. Not even Emily's boots were safe from the suddenly curious nose of Vex'aedr, a move that nearly threatened to topple her with how much strength there was behind the move. Quietus was rather enjoying watching Vex'aedr explore the surroundings, but knew that they could not stand here all day. With the matter of naming completed, Quietus turned to Emily and spoke.

"While I was overseeing the last stage of Vex'aedr's development, I had plenty of time to fill. Specifically, I got to thinking about the purpose behind the gift that Rose delivered to me from her father. Its significance had escaped me at the time, as I was too focused on the weapon itself. But after thinking about it further for nearly an hour, I believe that this weapon, and the message that accompanied it have deeper meaning than simply 'hey, welcome back to the living'. Furion wants something from me, though he is clever enough to not risk his plans out in the open. As such, I have a plan of my own which will hopefully satisfy the Dark Lord's intentions."

He turned to Emily fully then, taking both of her hands into his and considering her beautiful yet intensely driven face once more.

"As such, I am going to leave the dojo soon. You are no longer my apprentice Emily, a fact that clearly a part of me still has not accepted. Your life, and your path, is yours to decide. You came here to learn from the Gray Master, and it would be foolish of me to dismiss what you could learn from him. I do not know how long this plan of mine will take, nor where it will take me. If you wish to stay and continue your training with Aryian, I will support that decision fully. But I will not deny you should you wish to come with me on another grand adventure, filled with explosions, chase scenes, peril, death and destruction. Oh and did I mention explosions?"

There was a rather silly boyish grin on his face as he ended, knowing just how funny his last sentence would be. He truly was fully supportive of whatever choice Emily made, and felt more confident now if her abilities than he had ever been before. She was Sith, just as he was.

"You have some time to decide; Im not leaving quite yet. In the meantime, Vex'aedr and I are QUITE hungry... Something about sitting still in a room for more than 12 hours without anything to eat or drink tends to put nourishment at the forefront of one's mind, and I figure I should feed him before he tries to take a bite out of someone or... some...thing..."

His gaze had wandered to Vex'aedr as he finished, and he trailed off due to the fact that in that moment Vex'aedr was licking and gnawing at the stone wall, as if it was a giant piece of food. Quietus merely stood there, transfixed for a moment ((**)) staring at his pet before he recovered, with a blink and a shake of hie head.

"Yes, right. On to the cafeteria!! In the meantime, I do beleive your friend in the med bay has awoken once more. Perhaps you should check on her. Besides, I have a feeling that Rose would be quite... upset if I left without allowing her to barrage me with questions, and who knows how long that will take."

He then pulled both of her hands up to his face and kissed them each before stealing a quick kiss from her lips as he turned to Vex'aedr.

"ALLONSEY!"

Quietus whirled in a flash on his heel and continued on down the hallway. Vex'aedr on the other hand, looked up at Quietus as he called out, looked back at the wall for a moment, licked it once more, and then charged off to follow Quietus.

**: ((Totally at this point. ))

1fE1uLv.png

Quietus agreed, and so Vex'aedr was named. The tuk'ata was still new to the world, and therefore very curious, sniffing and licking everything that he came across, including Emily. She was treated to the lovely smell of tuk'ata breath--always a fragrant, pungent smell, and all the stronger this time since it was mixed with the equally pleasant smell of cloning fluid.

After a moment, Quietus turned to her and spoke of the gift Furion had sent. Emily nodded. "I've learned well the intricacies of Sith politics," she replied. "He knew you were going to return and, knowing how powerful you are, sent the gift as an gesture of respect and an offer of mutual cooperation. Now you must send a message back to him, whether that be one indicating your rejection of his offers and your determination to go your own way, or one that indicates that you also respect him and that you have no current intention of reclaiming the throne of Dark Lord from him." She guessed which one he was going to choose, and his following words confirmed it. She was glad. While she cared very little for Furion as a person, she respecting his cunning. He was one who knew how to manage a group like the Sith, who under mediocre leadership would quickly turn to infighting. No, he was a good leader for the Sith Order. She didn't know how well Quietus knew Furion personally, but she thought it was good for them to combine their efforts.

Quietus took both of her hands then, and spoke with quiet solemnity, which was ruined by his boyish grin at the end. Despite the seriousness of the topic, she couldn't help but grin in response. Her words, however, were serious. "I'll think about it," she promised.

He kissed her, and then charged off down the hall like a maniac, Vex'aedr charging after him a moment later. She couldn't help but laugh aloud. Suddenly, she realized that the old adage of a pet and master looking like each other was true. Quietus, with his long white hair, matching Vex'aedr's sleek white fur perfectly, and she, with her black hair, matched the equally black Roe'gall. The realization caused her to laugh again as she turned away.

She continued down the hallway, Roe'gall falling into step beside her. She absentmindedly scratched his cheek as she walked. Her thoughts were consumed with Quietus and his departure. She did indeed have a choice to make, and it wouldn't be an easy one. She couldn't bear the thought of being apart from him. She had just gotten him back, and she knew from experience that people could come and go so quickly from her life. Maybe she was being silly, but she couldn't help but feel that if she let him go his own way now, she wouldn't see him again. The very thought caused a painful tightening in her chest.

But at the same time, she had come here for a reason. Her purpose here was to pursue the path she felt called to walk down. A detour now wouldn't be the end of the galaxy--after all, there were no indications that Aryian was going anywhere. She could always return and learn from him later. But on the other hand, she had had so many detours already. She had settled into life with the Sith Order, and had given up on expanding her education. It had been only recently that she had felt motivated to leave Spite Station and continue on her lonely path. It was strange, she thought. Every time she had tried to get back on this road, a detour had come along. Whether that meant people disappearing, or being captured by slavers, or now this, every one had kept her from following the path that she knew in heart was her destiny. Here was a moment, a choice; whether to follow her heart and go with Quietus, or to follow her mind and stay here.

She let out a deep breath. That was not a decision she could make right now, and she was glad she'd have the chance to think it over. Roe'gall nuzzled her, clearly feeling a little overlooked after the introduction of Vex'aedr, which hadn't seemed to go as well as he had hoped. She smiled, and showed him some extra affection, rubbing him in the spots where he liked to be rubbed, and talking to him softly, letting him know how appreciated he was and what a good monstrous man-eating tuk'ata he was.

Her feet soon returned her to the medical bay, not because she felt any particular desire to check up on Ariana, but because she felt honor-bound to do so. She found the woman awake and clearly feeling significantly better. She came in just in time to hear the woman ask where she was. "This is the Hermit's Dojo, on Mechis III," Emily replied, coming in and sitting down in a chair next to the bed. "It is a place for Force-users of any beliefs to come and study the Force."

She felt a bit awkward. She wasn't good at this sort of thing. She had only been in a medical bay once, and never knew what to do around those who were injured. "So...are you feeling better?" she asked.

Fine. She said dismissively. There was no doubt this grey master had been through a great deal in his lifetime, more than just about anyone alive, dead, or yet to be. But for some reason Rose couldn't accept that he, nor anyone for that matter could really understand her 'demons' as he put it. On the other hand she couldn't refute his logic. Fighting was the only real option, to continue the struggle whether it killed her or not. Jumping would just be the easy way out, the coward's way. As terrifying as the prospect sounded, traversing that bottomless depth of primal despair and agony was the only way.

Leave me to my choice, then. You selfish bastard. When the next sun rises we'll know one way or the other.

The day began to wane on the distant horizon, and it was all Rose could do to sink to the ground, just a step away from the edge, and wait.

"As you wish."

Aryian turned, and took the first few steps toward the trek leading back down into the dojo.

"By the by, I don't claim to understand your demons. Neither will I ever do so. But I do understand mine, and I know everyone has their own to deal with. And...if I was half as selfish as you seem to think, I wouldn't have come in the first place. Food for thought. Curse me later, if you think it'll make you feel better about it, it won't have been the first time someone has."

This emotionally distraught, her emotions were as easy to read as a book, wildly and loudly screaming from her head as if on loudspeaker. He simply didn't feel it was right to mention anything and tip his hand until now. But now, she was stable. Whatever decision she made, she made it with a clearer conscience and head. Honestly, the Grey Master didn't know what she would do, but if she truly had a better perspective on it now, there really was only one outcome.

Then again, according to his philosophy, despite her choice, there really was only one outcome, in the grand scheme of things.

It didn't take him long to find himself in the medical bay, passing Quietus and his newest pet in the halls, a larger tuk'ata that sniffed him briefly as he passed. The beast honestly didn't know what to make of the Grey Master, but Aryian paid it no mind as he kept walking. The soft whine as the large beast plodded on was mildly amusing, as Aryian could tell all its attention was on him, at least until he was out of eyesight. Down in the medical bay, he found Emily, and another woman, an 'Ariana' according to her medical chart. He'd come in on the tail end of Emily's response, and had heard the name for his dojo.

"Funny, I never really named the place. So I'm a 'hermit', now, am I? I bet the media loves that, probably the last story I'll ever get on the holonet. 'Famous Jedi Master goes nutters, makes a school in the middle of nowhere'."

He sighed, replacing the chart and looking up at the two. He wasn't upset, really, but he wished there was a better title for Jedi who had strayed from the Order and decided to take up a life of more or less solitude and study. First, he addressed Ariana.

"I am Aryian, and you seem to be healing up nicely. I couldn't help but see you had implants before. If you want them fixed or replaced, it would be a simple matter to do here. Of course, as I can also see...you've found your 'second set' of eyes."

Aryian moved a bit, soundlessly, and her head still swiveled to look at him.

"Interesting. Well, whatever you'd like to stay with, we can have you healed up in no time. Just like everyone else here, you are welcome to stay as long as you please. Now...Emily. I'd like to thank you for attending to her. I'm sorry about earlier. You wished to talk to me about something?"

Blz1mwg.png

"This is the Hermit's Dojo, on Mechis III," Emily replied, coming in and sitting down in a chair next to the bed.

The sudden sound startled Ariana, but she knew that Eris had entered from the smell and the energy that resonated through the force. Somehow, even while Ariana was sleepy, she was able to grow accustomed to Eris' presence. The familiar voice confirmed her thoughts and Ariana looked at her now, through her 'natural' eyes. She saw a woven tapestry of many colors written behind the silhouette of her body. She couldn't read the lines of each thread, but she could see each color clash with one another and sew together to form a chaotic weave. The art was truly mesmerizing and was almost enough to completely distract Ariana, who had been staring at Emily for several seconds.

"It is a place for Force-users of any beliefs to come and study the Force."

Ariana smiled a little. The fact that she wasn't in a bandit's hideout made her feel much better. Being in captivity tended to do crazy things with someone's head if they were in there for too long. The Miraluka took a few more moments to look around and saw that the weave underneath Eris's silhouette was growing. It seemed that with every action, with every word, and with every thought, the tapestry grew larger and larger. She had a feeling that, even if she could read through each thread, it would take a lifetime to truly capture the essence of what made them real.

The silence between them was getting to be a little awkward, but that was more Ariana's fault than Emily's. It had been so long since Ariana consistently practiced her people's way of seeing that she was enraptured by every little thing.

"So...are you feeling better?" Eris asked, trying to break the silence once more.

Ariana's 'eyes' found Eris' and she nodded silently. "I feel as good as expected I suppose." Ariana said, her voice finally starting to return to normal. She groped for a glass of water close by and took a quick drink before continuing. "I don't feel that I was entirely honest to you earlier. To be fair, I wasn't really feeling my best, but I think it is okay to tell you. I was captured by bandits. They were a large group of bandits that had history with me and when they finally found me, they caught me and put me in a box. They were going to sell me on the slave market when they were hit over Mechis III and crash landed on the surface."

Another presence shone to her while she told her tale and even when he entered, she didn't amend her story to accommodate him. What could they do with this knowledge? Assume I'm a bandit? That would be highly improbable.

"Funny, I never really named the place. So I'm a 'hermit', now, am I? I bet the media loves that, probably the last story I'll ever get on the holonet. 'Famous Jedi Master goes nutters, makes a school in the middle of nowhere'." Said the new person.

Ariana giggled a little at the joke and turned to look at who was speaking. It took a moment, but she was caught anew upon not only the vibrancy of this man's life, but also the depth. There was much more to him than she knew and she felt, if allowed, she would stare at him even longer than she stared at Eris.

"I am Aryian, and you seem to be healing up nicely. I couldn't help but see you had implants before. If you want them fixed or replaced, it would be a simple matter to do here. Of course, as I can also see...you've found your 'second set' of eyes."

Aryian's tone was pleasant. He had a practiced stance and he had the air of supreme confidence. When he mentioned implants, a small shiver went down Ariana's spine...

"YOU'LL WEAR THESE IMPLANTS AND LIKE THEM SQUIRT!!" the bandit leader yelled angrily at little Ariana.

"But they don't work..." She stated matter-of-factly. The man instinctively backhanded the small child who, at the time, was roughly ten years old.

"How dare you insult the doctor!" The bandit leader pointed to a man with a pinched face. He had used plastic gloves on, he had a horrendously dirty smock covering a scarred body, and no teeth in his rotten head. He was the picture of disease and death. Little Ariana was terrified of him, but knew what awaited her if she protested. "He worked hard on your implants. They were a gift for you."

"Yes Sir..." She said woodenly, taking what she could from the situation and trying to make the best out of it. The implants sparked to life and sputtered in contempt of their new master.

"I have found my second set of eyes Aryian and I would like to keep it that way." Ariana said with a smile. "This is the way I was brought into this world and I finally get to go back to where I started."

"Interesting. Well, whatever you'd like to stay with, we can have you healed up in no time. Just like everyone else here, you are welcome to stay as long as you please. Now...Emily. I'd like to thank you for attending to her. I'm sorry about earlier. You wished to talk to me about something?"

"Thank you." Ariana's smile grew a little bit more and she adjusted herself to a cross-legged position, or as much of a cross-legged position as she could manage with a large cast on her right leg.

Arianasig.png

By the time that Quietus and Vex'aedr reached the entrance of the cafeteria, the tuk'ats had sniffed or licked every surface, object, and person that had crossed their path. To say that it was curious about its environment would have been closer to an understatement than simply a truth. Quietus had no problem with the tuk'ata exploring its surroundings, so long as that investigation didnt involve attempting to eat what it was investigating. Thankfully they arrived without any problems along those lines, although the sight of a second tuk'ata in as many days caused several of the staff in the cafeteria to up and quit outright. Never the less, Quietus was able to procure a massive plate of assorted meat for Vex'aedr, while he chose lighter fare for his own meal. Quietus then found a seat near one of the massive windows that offered a view that would have been spectacular had it not been on Mechis III. But yet it was a view none the less, and so Quietus picked it. He placed the large plate of meat down on the floor next to his table, quickly calling to Vex'aedr and pointing the plate out. The tuk'ats was occupied with sniffing the underside of the table in that moment, but quickly turned its attention to the rather large pile of meat instead. It sniffed it for a few seconds before looking up at Quietus, who was himself about to take the first bite of his own meal.

"What? Dont tell me I created a vegetarian Tuk'ata... Its good, you'll like it. Although it doesnt taste anything like Jedi, but we cant eat our treats all the time. Eat up."

Vex'aedr looked back down at the plate of meat and snuffed once before taking an oddly timid bite for a tuk'ata. Once he got the taste of the meat on his pallet though, there was no stopping the beast, which likely didnt realize just how hungry it was until that moment. While Quietus had made a game of racing Roe'gall to finish their meals earlier, there was absolutely no chance Quietus could do the same with Vex'aedr. The white tuk'ata was more like a black hole of eating than anything else at the moment. Quietus could do little else but chuckle to himself and turn his attention back to his own meal and admire what view there was. He had long decided that as nice as the dojo was, it was a bit too peaceful for his liking. As he eat his meal in the eerie peace, his gaze drifted out the window for the first time. While there was no cityscape or lush mountains or waterfalls to look at, the view of the planet was at least interesting. But he noticed something almost immediately, a little ways out from the dojo near one of the cliffs. It was clearly a person, standing there at the edge of the cliffs, staring off into the distance. Beyond that Quietus could not make out who the person was, as the heat rising from the cliff face was distorting it. Curiosity got the better of him however, and he reached out with the Force to try and identify who it was.

Quietus found himself only half surprised when he figured out that it was Rose standing there, and could feel her emotions running rather rampant even from where he was. He watched her with minor interest as he finished his meal, finding no need to rush through his meal. When he had finished however, Quietus decided to go speak to the young woman, if for no other reason than to give her the opportunity to ask questions of him. He stood up and looked down to see Vex'aedr was simply toying with the last slab of meat on his plate, treating it more like a toy than food. Quietus reached down and picked the piece up off of the plate, simply to get the beast's attention. Once he had it, he motioned for Vex'aedr to follow, and proceeded to exit the cafeteria and towards where he believed Rose was.

He did find her outside the dojo where he expected, stepping out into the harsh enviorment of the dojo. He took a look around in silence before tossing the slab of meat a few meters way, watching as Vex'aedr chased it and began gnawing on it again in a rare joy only a beast like him could enjoy. Finally he turned to look upon Rose, whos back was still turned to him, and spoke, his arms crossing over his chest as he did so.

"Finding the view to your displeasure Rose?" Came his question to her, just barely rising above the noise of the planet.

1fE1uLv.png

She could feel eyes upon her, the conscious awareness devoted to drawing in the miasma of anguish she exuded unabashedly. Any other time it could be expected of her to dry her eyes, assume the air of confidence and complacency, and pretend that all was right with the world but really she just didn't give a damn. That's right, look on, see what I feel in your world apart, and move on with it as if it didn't touch you. And why should it? Why should anyone else here care. Aside from Aryian, who largely seemed to be concerned with simply playing his role, the others were Sith tried and true. And as Sith, their lives fell mostly to themselves and where they were going, not toward those they passed by.

When she could tell that it was Raynuk from a few paces out, she soldiered up only so as not to look so desperately pitiful. For some reason she didn't want to look so weak in front of him. Maybe it was out of respect of his old title, or fear. Either way, she avoided turning toward him just to hide her puffy eyes. Quite the contrary. I find the fire soothing. Reminds me of father.

"You are a terrible liar Rose, but thats neither here nor there. Earlier when you gave me the gift from your father, you inclined that you had a variety of questions for me. Care to share? Or shall I pluck them from your head instead?"

His tone was not wholly serious, with just the slightest amount of jest. He found the change in disposition between now and the almost giddy Rose he had seen earlier as almost a cause for concern. But she was not his charge; he would not pry, but nor would he ignore her if she asked for help or advice. That was, after all, the reason he sought her out.

1fE1uLv.png

Try it and you will know suffering beyond anything you have ever experienced. Rose said just above a whisper, distant as if she were remembering something traumatic that she had struggled to push down.

She didn't sound angry at Raynuk's threat of delving into her mind. In fact her tone held an edge of caution, an icy cold fear of what the intrusion would mean. She wasn't sure of the tricks Julio had pulled on her mind, nor the extent to which they went, but she knew full well that he had never let his daughter out of his sight, knowing the gravity of the secrets she held, without defending her to such assaults in some manner.

When she finally turned to look up at the Sith Master it was with a curious look. How strong was Raynuk in comparison to her father? Even in his most wrathful moments, Rose was sure she had never really felt the full depth of her father's passion, but even still it had never compared to any other Sith she had come into contact with since they had fully come back into the order. But Raynuk was close. Very, very close. Yet in another, awe inspiring and terrifying way.

Yes, I do have questions. And it would seem you have the inclination to answer them, so I'll not waste your time.

She patted the ground beside her, offering him a seat by the cliff side to see the great expanse of fiery lakes and monumental factories spanning across the planet below.

All I have ever known about the Dark Side is what my Father has told me. But the way he speaks of it, with such passion and drive, it often sounds too much like a mystery to really ever relate. Freedom is chaos, fate is slavery, it all seems so subjective its impossible to quantify. How does it speak to you? What does the darkness whisper?

A whisper it might have been, but Quietus was keen to hear every word that Rose was going to ask him, and so he caught her response. It was a peculiar response, almost instinctual. It seemed very much the response of someone who was recoiling in fear. Whether she had known Quietus would not actually attempt to 'pluck the questions' from her mind or not, she had responded to the mere suggestion of it, which itself brought a number of questions to the elder Sith's mind. But he was not here to ask the questions; Rose had requested the chance, and he was here to honor that request. And so he pushed the nature of her answer aside and studied the young woman for just a moment before nodding and taking a seat at the cliff edge, ready for her questions.

She did not waste any time, immediately questioning what the Force meant to Quietus. He thought about the answer for a moment, before realizing that she had framed the question in a very odd way, as if the Dark Side was foreign to her... It was another piece of the puzzle that was Rose Furion, and it was a large piece. It was not enough however to reveal any truths about her, merely giving Quietus' inqisitive mind a path to proceed. He again dismissed his investigation of her, and returned to the question she had posed.

"The Dark Side is unique to every Sith... But it is truly impossible to know how another sees or hears the Force. It would be like questioning how someone else sees the universe around them. For instance, this rock we sit upon is brown to me, as it is brown to you. But what if the actual color, the pigmant you see, was not the same as my brown? What you see as green could be my yellow. Much of what we know in the universe is taught to us; by our parents, our peers, and the galaxy as a whole. Attempting to connect to someone else's vision and view of the Force is useless. What matters more is how you see it, how you connect to it, and what it says to you or shows you...."

He had gone off subject slightly, more of diverting her question than directly answering it. But out of the corner of his eye he could see that despite that fact, Rose was truly and fully listening to what he had to say. He doubted if she actually cared about what he was saying, but she was listening none the less, and so he continued.

"To me, the Dark Side speaks to me as choices. Every move we make in these lives of ours is a choice. Whether to get out of bed when our alarms go off, what to eat for meals, what words we speak to those around us, and what path we wish to follow with our lives. The Dark Side has given me the ability to see these choices as they land in front of us. Your father may have the gift of foresight, but he does not know what choices will lead to the point he is shown. It is like a spotlight in the darkness for your father. What he gazes upon he sees clearly, but nothing else around it. As for what it whispers to me... It whispers the renewal of the Sith, of our growth beyond what we are now. It whispers of the times of old, when the Sith were as unseen and unknown as a shadow, fairly free to move about the galaxy and perpetrate their schemes until the time was right to spring the trap upon the entire galaxy."

He turned to Rose suddenly, about to ask the question that he had pretty much already figured the answer to, but wanted to see how, if at all, she would respond to it.

"What about you Rose... How does the Dark Side speak to you?" He paused for a moment before adding. "Or does it elude you even now?"

1fE1uLv.png

It does not elude me. It haunts me.

The answer came without hesitation, but carried in it a shiver down her spine. If what Raynuk said was true and the Force differed from person to person, was the terror and unending falling sensation the Force's way of speaking to her? At first she had thought that it was something her Father had done to her, for whatever great and mysterious reasons he had, but what if it were simply her? In the end, it didn't change the fact that if Rose wanted to continue to live a free life it would be something she would have to fight against, but the enigma grew larger just the same.

I can feel it, see it, hear it. I am aware of the greatness that is the darkness. But it does not permit me to touch it, or rather something does not. Every time I try it feels like it is trying to swallow me whole, take over everything that is me and become something...else. As I am now, I do not believe that I am strong enough to fight against it. Either I stand aside and let it pass through me like the rest of the galaxy, or let it devour me and attach the marionette strings where it will.