What If We - a chain story AU - Discussion thread

Tiana Calthye

So... I had an idea for a chain story. I don't really have the time and inclination to write this vast of a story on my own but I think it would work really well done by a group of Fanficcers... why yes, that was the sound of me saying Fanfic.

So who hasn't complained a little bit about the Prequel trilogy? If that describes you, back away from the thread. This is a chain story about the prequels, as written only with information we can glean from the original trilogy.

So let's discuss what we knew should have happened, and make some decisions. Once we settle on our plot, then we'll have a casting call for main characters and get this story moving.

Known information:

Obi-Wan and Luke's father fought together in the war.

His father was a very good pilot.

What we know about THE DROIDS:

R2 and 3PO were in the possession of the Antilles family.

What we know about THE TWINS:

Luke and Leia were hidden from Anakin at birth

Leia has memeories of her mother (from ROTJ) (Maybe she stayed with Leia longer?)

What we know about OBI-WAN:

Personality/traits:

Obi-Wan was reckless

Events:

Yoda was the Jedi Master who instructed Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan helped Leia's father in the Clone Wars.

Lukes father gave Obi-Wan his lightsaber to pass on to Luke.

When Vader faced Obi-Wan the first time he was still a student

What we know about DARTH VADER (Luke's father)

Personality/traits:

Darth Vader was a very good pilot.

Events:

If Luke were to underestimate the powers of the Emperor, he would suffer the same fate as his Father

Darth Vader was a pupil of Obi-Wans

Lukes father gave Obi-Wan his lightsaber to pass on to Luke.

Darth Vader helped hunt down and destroy the Jedi

What we know about YODA

Personality/Traits:

Yoda kept his own council on who was to be trained.

Events:

Yoda was the Jedi Master who instructed Obi-Wan.

Start filling me with information! Go on, extrapolate from this.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

This has some serious potential.

Obi-Wan helped Leia's father in the Clone Wars.

Darth Vader was a pupil of Obi-Wans.

Leia has memeories of her mother (from ROTJ)

I'm going to have to go back and watch the OT again. It's been a while.

Member of Jnet Addict Club 12/05

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

Yoda kept his own council on who was to be trained

Obi-Wan was reckless

Luke and Leia were hidden from Anakin at birth

If Luke were to underestimate the powers of the Emperor, he would suffer the same fate as his Father

Darth Vader helped hunt down and destroy the Jedi

Updated with some further information. Keep on going. What do we know about the Clone Wars? What do we know about the Jedi? What do we know about the state of the galaxy 25 years ago?

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Both the Emperor and Vader knew that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him.

The Jedi are extinct, with Vader as the only one left in the minds of the citizens of the galaxy. And a lot of those citizens believe the Force to be nonsense, or at least outdated.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Yeah I always thought of Alderaan as a planet with strict gun/weapons laws and no defence force as such. Kinda proven when I read the Han Solo Trilogy as well.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit
One flash of my perfect chest and he'll be knocked out in a happytime daydream.

I've requested for help in the OT forum as well. Take a look at the non-Fanficcing crew's brainstorming.

http://forums.jedi.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45975

Now... the big thing here is that we don't know a lot but we all had things in our mind that we wanted to see. I know I for one wanted to see Anakin and Obi-Wan kicking ass as buddies, slowly torn apart by the dark side. I also wanted to see them fighting clones. With lightsabers, because you know... civilized era.

I'm pretty sure this here implies that the Emperor corrupted Anakin and made him into Darth Vader... because Anakin underestimated his powers, possibly going against him?

Tell me: what do you want to see from an alternate prequel trilogy?

spsig.jpg

Did we know that the emperors name was Palpatine? I'm not sure. I know that when I watched TPM I knew that Palpatine would become the emperor. Also we can infer that the emperor had spent a significant amount of time after he became emperor trying to disband the senate, though only succeeding at the beginning of ANH.

No, we don't know the Emperor's name was Palpatine. That's EU and PT.

As far as disbanding the Senate, I don't think that it's implied that he spent time trying to disband it before ANH, just that he did so at the beginning of the movie. To me that line has always served to point out just how powerful the Emperor was. He decided that the Senate had outlived it's usefulness, so he ended it.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Which is also a beneficial point of advice.

Though we can use the canonical given names just for our convenience, if we'd like. Which means, of course, Anakin, Obi-Wan/Ben, Palpatine, Padme, Bail Organa if we'd like... or we could vote on new names for these unnamed characters.

spsig.jpg

I think choosing new names would be a pointless, not to mention confusing, exercise. I think certain characters could certainly be excluded, but if we're going to use a character we should use his canonical name.

In terms of what I'd like to see in a redone prequel, I think a larger, more bureacratic version of the Jedi could be interesting. Something that's gotten so large, fat, and lazy that it's not capable of sustaining itself anymore. I found it odd watching the prequels how completely unprepared the Jedi were for anything, despite the entirety of its leadership suspecting Palpatine. Perhaps this large order gets splintered into smaller factions, with some subscribing to a philosophy given by dooku, some Yoda, some Palpatine. I also find the idea of Palpatine being a jedi, on the jedi council, kind of fun. A close friend of Yoda's, adding a much more personal aspect to their conflict. It would be possible to paint Palpatine as a hero character in alot of ways, a sort of trail blazer trying to shrug off the confine of an archaic and gluttonous order, and stream line it. This would throw the entire series from a mere black/white arguement to a fight with many more shades of grey. Just some ideas.

He actually says:

"I haven't gone by that name since, oh, before you were born."

So there is no implied time period on how long before he was born that he stopped going by that name.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit
One flash of my perfect chest and he'll be knocked out in a happytime daydream.

I think it's very heavily implied that Palps has always been very undercover. But that line also implies another thing... that Vader is not. Not just as a Force user, but also associated with the Jedi Order in Tarkin's eyes. I don't know about you but I think it subtly brings up implications of Anakin's position.

spsig.jpg

Though we can use the canonical given names just for our convenience, if we'd like. Which means, of course, Anakin, Obi-Wan/Ben, Palpatine, Padme, Bail Organa if we'd like... or we could vote on new names for these unnamed characters.

Have you guys watched the original trilogy? Anakin and Obi-Wan are both given names in the OT. Obi-Wan and Luke both say Anakin.

He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader... Anakin was a good friend.

I accept the fact that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father

Also, if we throw out the novelizations we not only lose Palpatine, but crucial details on Obi-Wan and Anakin's first fight and how Anakin got in the suit. Who's to say that the reason for the suit is caused by Obi-Wan at all. I think the novelizations are canon enough and weren't a part of George's insisted bastardization of the movies.

Obi-Wan is definitely the character's name and Ben is just a cover name to avoid being found by the Empire. Vader, Palpatine, Leia, and even Obi-Wan himself address him as such.

Your uncle would never allow it, thought you'd follow old Obi-Wan on some idealistic crusade, like your father did.
In fact, Leia spouting, "Ben Kenobi? Where is he?" seems like an inconsistency within the OT by comparison.

Bail Organa is also such a relatively insignificant character that he could be skipped altogether. I'd say keep Padme just for the convenience (and why change it?)

Leia was a member of the Imperial Senate.

Stormtroopers are more accurate shots then Tusken Raiders.

The Force is the explanation OWK gives to Luke the first time in his hut on Tattooine.

Luke is too much like his father

All of Luke's friends have gone to "the Academy" already.

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

I would if I could, like to see something that makes me want to root for the rebels. There really is no point in the OT upon revisiting it that I feel like the rebels are fighting a worthy cause.

The Empire doesn't seem oppressive. It changed the deal on Lando a few times to be sure but, they didn't even arrest Lando for harboring high ranking rebel fugitives, nor did they put down a garrison. They threatened to do so but, it seemed for the most part that Vader and consequently the Empire didn't really care about the rebels. Tarkin wanted to use them as a demonstration for his battle station. Vader's only interest in them seems to be his son. It isn't until ROTJ when the Empire the Empire finally seems to be taking the rebels seriously.

In part that is because the Empire outsmarts and out performs the rebels at every opportunity.

Scorp.jpg

Well, you could always just post something like "OMG GREAT FIC WOW!"

Have you guys watched the original trilogy? Anakin and Obi-Wan are both given names in the OT. Obi-Wan and Luke both say Anakin.

Yeah, but not Palps, Padme, or Bail.

And it's been years since I've watched the OT.

I say we can keep novelization details if those interest the writers involved.

Your note on Leia asking about Ben is something that seems like a good plot point to work off of... clearly she knows who he is.

spsig.jpg

There really is no point in the OT upon revisiting it that I feel like the rebels are fighting a worthy cause.

So when they destroyed an entire planet, you didn't think that was a bad thing?

In a Galaxy where they have to control thousands of worlds blowing up a planet is equivalent to when the united states bombed japan.

It not like we have any proof whatso ever that Alderaan is a peaceful planet. The only person whose word we have to go by is Princess Leia. And if you listen to the stuff she says, she has been telling lies since the moment she talked to Darth Vader up until that point.

Furthermore no one in the movie pauses to ask why was it that Alderaan got destroyed. The only person who claims it is a peaceful planet with no weapons is Leia. Who lies about everything else so why should we believe her at this point?

It is extreme force to be sure. However it is not like the Empire goes around just blowing up every planet they come across after that.

Scorp.jpg

Well, you could always just post something like "OMG GREAT FIC WOW!"

Who is our dental character going to be, and what is the central storyline?

I hope you mean central character!

This is a good question. Now that people have answered a lot of questions I think we have a lot of information we can work off of to create this galaxy... this alternate galaxy.

Obviously Obi-Wan and Anakin are going to have to be our central characters. I'd like to see dissent from Yoda (who holds his own council on who is to be trained) but rather than like the movie, perhaps Yoda is interested in this younger Anakin Skywalker? And I'm itching to see Obi-Wan and Anakin as friends first.

Now I think is an IDEAL point to bring up the standard storyline:

Beginning: the setup, SOMETHING HAPPENS to change the status quo.

Middle: Adventure! The characters set out to restore the status quo BUT... things happen. Things they didn't expect. A horrible choice must be made. Confrontation!

End: The climax! The results of the horrible choice! For a happy ending, the status quo is brought back to normal but at the cost of change. Denouncement.

For the Phantom Menace this was Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon doing their Jedi thing, until the mission went horribly wrong and they end up stranded on Tatooine. While they are there, they meet up with Anakin Skywalker who appears to give them a route to restore things to normal so they can complete their mission. Things happen (ei, pod race), and the hero must make a choice (leaving behind Anakin's mom). There, they confront the villain, a climatic battle occurs, loss occurs, and the remaining two leading characters face the changes brought about by the cost of restoring peace on Naboo. It's pretty much a cookie-cutter Star Wars style plot outline (add in new details as necessary) and especially for this we should keep it like that. The exploration of new worlds, the epic space battle. NECESSARY, yes?

Plus, there will generally be three main characters: the protagonist, the antagonist, and someone in the middle who normalizes the protagonist... whether that be a love interest or a buddy. I would say in the original versions of the PT, this is Anakin, with various Sith villains, and Obi-Wan to normalize him, as it were. I want to see a stronger villain presence, so to me this would imply that we're going to need four-five writers on board. We're going to have to decide what planets this will be set over, and what the epic space battle will be about.

I'd also like to point out Ben Kenobi's apparent age. He's way old and I'd like to reflect that by not having him a 20some year old young spriggot.

spsig.jpg

Ah yes. Dental character. That would be autocorrect striking again. Most of my posting is done onmy phone these days.

How old do we peg OWK for in ANH? I'd personally have said 55-70ish. Large ballpark, admittedly, but one that leaves scope for movement. We know there's roughly 20 years between RotS and ANH, and I think about 10-12 from RotS back to TPM?

So I don't think we can use the same time frame, as we'd end up with a 25-30yr old OWK. I personally always imagined he'd be about 35 and Anakin about 20-25 when he was found.

I've a few ideas but will need to wait til I get home so I can flesh them out on a proper monitor.

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png