One Who Masters Magic (End of First Draft)

Travis

Good chapter, as always. Not much for me to say. I mean, we all knew he'd end up going with Growald. I still wonder what exactly Growald knows or thinks he knows. Is he familiar with the prophecies? If so, how? And what made him realize that it may be Syler? And how does he know (if he's right) that he's not the one who guides the Master of Magic?

Lots of unanswered questions when it comes to him.

A few things:

There were four of them on foot

I assumed that Growald's men were the ones who were chasing them from the city earlier, but those men were mounted. So were those people someone else?

"I don't think they care about the prisoners, only the Shalktra would come after you."

That should be a semicolon instead of a comma.

He would truly hate to see them go because it was unlikely that they would ever meet.

Need to add 'again' to the end of this sentence, because they have already met.

They are a reasonable people, you just have to have something they want."

Again, semicolon instead of comma.

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Lots of unanswered questions when it comes to him.

Soon, you will get some answers very, very soon.

I assumed that Growald's men were the ones who were chasing them from the city earlier, but those men were mounted. So were those people someone else?

Try sneaking up upon and surrounding a camp on horseback. People are far stealthier than horses. They dismounted, left their horses with Growald (a half mile away) and walked to where their camp was.

I fixed all of your suggestions in the master document, but don't have time to fix them here.

Some news! First, I broke 100,000 words a little while ago and already have another five thousand past that. I also got some more test readers, including an editor (amateur, not a professional). I need some people to be able to sit down and read it like a normal book instead of over four months so they can pick up on things people here miss. Plus, she will be going through and marking things up and editing it as that is what she likes to do. The only down side is that I have to get her a physical copy (she works best on that) and right now, even with adjusting to half inch margins at ten point font, it is over 110 pages. Not fun there.

I have made some pretty big decisions over the last few chapters (not yet out). They are minor tweaks from my original ideas, but I think they will work out better. I won't spoil them though.

In this piece, we get to meet the Krue, a major race that will play a massive factor in the rest of Syler's story. In the next few chapters, a TON of stuff will be revealed. Not all, but a lot will be. Again, I am not italicizing foreign words here, though they are in the master document.

Three miles from the edge of the Subeleth Woods

Krue Territory

The intimidating green timbers of the Subeleth Woods was just visible on the horizon through the early afternoon sun when one of Growald's men sounded the alarm. Every neck turned to look behind them at the dozens of dark shapes cresting the hill behind them moving with tremendous speed. "They found us!" Tald shouted.

"Ride hard for the forest!" commanded Growald as he kicked his horse into a full gallop.

Syler winced as he followed suit because he knew how much the extra bouncing would hurt Bronwyn. She was, fortunately, in her semi-conscious state but it would still hurt.

The Shalktra mounts must have been spurred by their gods themselves because they were rapidly gaining ground. What had been a half mile lead was quickly narrowed down to a few hundred yards in just a short distance. Syler threw caution into the wind and drove his horse as hard as he could. There were too many pursuers after them than the ten of them could handle. If they made it to the forest, they might be able to split them up and deal with them in smaller groups, but here in the open rolling hills, they had no chance.

The Shalktra were getting close, dangerously close as they raced towards the forest. They all had swords, maces, or axes in their hands ready to use them when they got close enough. With his heart beating furiously in panic, Syler looked back and saw that they were only a hundred and fifty yards behind them and steadily gaining.

His eyes caught Havert's and he saw the grim look on his friend's face that spoke volumes. Neither dared waste their breath on words that couldn't be heard over the sound of hooves furiously beating on the ground. Syler knew that the two of them were on poor terms ever since he had killed the unarmed priest and Havert fell asleep on watch duty that first night, but that didn't seem to matter much now. He regretted the divide that had come between them over the last week and a half, but there was nothing he could do about it now. In his heart, he forgave Havert for anything wrong that he had done against him and left it behind.

The Shalktra were now within a hundred yards and the forest was still a mile away. It was clear to them all now that they wouldn't make it. Syler began to consider what he would do when they caught up to him. He would fight, obviously, but doing so while trying to keep Bronwyn both on their horse and out of harm would not be easy. He vowed that even though he might be taken or killed, he would take at least one of the bastards down with him. He also vowed that he would do his best to not let himself be captured. He had seen what the Shalktra had done to Bronwyn and would rather die than fall into their hands. As hard as it might be, he would also make sure that they didn't take Bronwyn, either. He had given her his word that he would never let her suffer like that again. Better for her to slip into the hands of the Elements or Spirits quietly and painlessly from a knife to the heart than to live in pain and anguish until she died a horrible death all alone.

As the Shalktra got closer and closer, several of the men began to draw their own weapons. Syler followed suit and nearly fell off his horse as he shifted Bronwyn's weight into his left arm. It wouldn't be long now and their doom would befall them. If only he hadn't been so stubborn and had left with Growald without an argument, they would have had those extra few minutes they needed to get into the forest.

"Look!" Alltis shouted as loudly as she could. With her free hand, she pointed ahead of them to a single dark spot that had emerged from the edge of the forest. At this distance, they couldn't see much detail, but Syler thought it was another rider and wondered if the Shalktra had managed to send a group ahead of them to cut them off just in case they made it this far. His fears grew when he saw two dozen more dark figures emerge behind the first rider. What hope was left in him vanished and he sagged a little in his saddle.

As he stared at the figures ahead of him in despair, they began to ride toward them. Syler could hardly believe his eyes, because they new arrivals seemed to close the mile gap between them in seconds. He knew it was longer than that, but he was astonished at how rapidly they were moving. If the Shalktra behind them had fast mounts, then these had to be under the influence of magic to move as they did.

When the new riders were a thousand yards away, an eerie sound reached Syler's ears over the noise of the horses. It sounded like a horn, but it wasn't any type of horn that he had ever heard. Then, to his surprise, a brilliant light emerged from their leader and arced over his head. There was an explosion behind him and he hazarded a look. What he saw was fire and a few of their pursuit tumbling in the ground covered in flames.

"It is the Krue!" shouted Growald. "Quick, sheath your weapons!"

Syler didn't argue this time, but did as the man suggested. At least with two free hands, he could better hold his reins and Bronwyn.

Another fireball shot over their heads and pounded the Shalktra. The caster didn't have enough time to hurl another one because they were upon the fleeing Sei. Syler couldn't believe his eyes as he saw the mounts that the Krue were riding.

He had heard stories of the Krue's hasuan, but he had never seen one for himself. As they thundered past him fast enough to cause a burst of wind that nearly knocked him off of his horse, he had to admit that they were impressive. The beasts looked like horses, but were larger and were rumored to be far smarter. The most noticeable feature they had was the giant horn coming out of their forehead that they used as a weapon in battle. It was that feature, combined with their size and speed, that made the Krue cavalry near unstoppable.

The Krue passed them by and ran headlong into the pursuing Shalktra. Syler and the rest of those with him slowed down and turned to look at the battle. It was a total massacre from the start.

Even if the Shalktra had a few spears among them, they were no match for the horn of the hasuan or the short javelins that the Krue threw with one hand as they neared. The Shalktra had numbered slightly more than forty when they entered this battle, but half of them had fallen after the Krue's first pass. Those not speared were gored or knocked off by the hasuan. The Krue circled around with astonishing agility despite their speed and brought their swords into play against the survivors. There were some sparks and smaller explosions from the magic wielder among the Krue, but somehow, Syler didn't think that the Krue really need the help of magic to utterly crush their opposition. Only two Krue fell, but the ground was littered with the bodies of the Shalktra and their mounts.

When it was done, all that remained was the cry of wounded men and horses. Even that sound began to die out as the Krue dismounted and began killing the survivors without mercy. They said nothing, but operated in a chilling silence. The Sei also, said nothing, but waited for the Krue to finish with their grizzly tasks. There was no attempt to flee because all knew that the hasuan would catch their exhausted horses in moments.

What struck him was that there were equal numbers of women as there were men in the group. The women mostly had their long hair done up in a series of braids to keep it out of the way during battle. Syler had never seen a culture that had women fighting.

They all wore black leather armor that was intricately etched in exotic designs, mostly of fierce beasts or likenesses of their hasuan. They didn't wear helmets which allowed their dark and mostly black hair to show. He couldn't tell how long their hair was because they wore hoods the color of the trees of their forest that flowed into a cape capable of covering their entire body. Most had war paint slathered over their faces in a dizzying array of shapes and styles. Every one of them had a short sword, but there was a variety in other weaponry. Most had bows for ranged fighting while a few had huge battleaxes that looked like they could cut a man clean in two. A select few had a strange weapon that appeared to be nothing more than three metal balls the size of a man's fist at the end of a thin rope.

After the last of the wounded were dispatched, the Krue began gathering the bodies up in great piles. A woman who hadn't gotten off of her hasuan turned her attention to the Sei. She had startling black and blue war paint covering the entirety of her face including her lips and ears. Though she wore the same black leather armor that the others did, hers had gold highlights along the cuffs of her shirt and pants and around her collar. Her cape was also lined in gold and silver stitching and was longer than what the others wore. The hood to her cape was down revealing her long black hair that had been tied up in braids. There was something about her that caused chills to run up and down Syler's spine.

Her majestic mount carried her back and forth in front of them as she inspected each. When she looked Syler over, that cold feeling returned and he lost the feeling in his fingers. After looking at him, she looked over to Lamastus standing next to him and her face hardened slightly. He could tell that the others felt the same disturbance as he did when Havert shuddered slightly during his own inspection.

When she had finished, she guided her hasuan back a couple dozen yards so she could see them all at once. "Who speaks for you?" the woman said at last. Her voice had a thick accent, as though she was not used to speaking the Common Tongue.

Growald, to his credit, spoke up even though it brought the potential of a quick death to him. "I do, Mistress Sorceress."

The woman's eyes honed in on his bearded face. "Who are you, and why do you dare tread upon our lands?"

Growald inclined his head and replied in the most deferential voice Syler had ever heard him use. "I am Growald of Kasas Sei, lieutenant of the Seinari's Remnant Army. We are fugitives of the Terulans and the Angvardi."

She didn't seem impressed. "Why do the Southerners hunt you?"

"They have conquered our lands and enslaved our people," Growald said. "We resist them and for that, they wish to kill us."

The woman looked at Growald with an expression as dispassionate as death itself. "Lie again and I kill you all."

Growald paled and remained silent. Nobody else seemed to want to speak, so Syler spoke up, "They took my wife without just cause, then they tortured and raped her. Some of us freed her and other prisoners. During that time, we killed many of their number."

The warmth went out of the world once more as she turned her cold gaze upon him. He stood firm and didn't back down or cower. These people didn't strike him as being accepting of cowardice.

"You speak the truth. What is your name, Sei?"

"I am Syler Penion of Sandrin," he responded.

"You are clearly an enemy of the Southerners, yet you bring an Angvardi with you. The Angvardi and the Terulans are sasour, close as brothers. Why is this?"

The blood drained out of Lamastus' face and he sat perfectly erect and unmoving. Syler nodded, then said, "Yes, he is a friend, one who has saved my life and the lives of my friends. He no longer serves his old masters, but is my friend."

The woman narrowed her eyes and whispered a few words to herself. "Are you so sure about that? He is an Angvardi, an enemy of the People."

"I am," Syler said without hesitation. "I would be dead three times over were it not for him. My wife also would be dead. I cannot believe that he is my enemy."

There was no mercy in her cold, lifeless eyes. "It matters not what you believe, he is an enemy of the People, and he shall die," the woman said. Tongues of flame began to dance around her fingers as she lifted her hands.

Syler didn't know what drove him, but he wouldn't let a man who had saved his life more than once die simply because of where he was born. "No!" he cried. Panic overtook him and he spurred his horse in front of Lamastus.

The woman threw her hands forward and a fireball shot out at Lamastus. Before it could hit him, Syler managed to get in the way and took the fireball straight in the chest.

"Syler!" Havert cried out in surprise and horror as Syler, his wife, and their horse were completely consumed in the flames.

Edited by Guest

LOL, well, when he survives a fireball, that should be a sign to Syler that he's more than he thought.

Nice descriptions of the Krue. I like them. They seem pretty much awesome in every way. And they ride on freaking unicorns, which only adds to their awesomeness.

Two things:

She was, fortunately, in her semi-conscious state but it would still hurt.

You need a comma before but.

"Who speaks for you?" the woman said at last. Her voice had a thick accent, as though she was not used to speaking the Common Tongue.

Growald, to his credit, spoke up even though it brought the potential of a quick death to him. "I am, Mistress Sorceress."

I think you mean "I do." Otherwise I'll just think Growald is simple-minded. I could easily see if that's a remnant of an edited section.

amipaint2.jpg

I have edited the errors.

As for the Krue, they are my favorite race so far, but not my favorite one in Teladia. There is another that I can't wait to show off. And yes, they ride unicorns, but not the dainty, wimpy, girly kind. Those beasts are brutal and are often more dangerous in battle than their riders.

This chapter beings a set of three chapters that reveal a TON of stuff to both Syler and the reader. This first little section doesn't provide too many stark revelations, but it does introduce the Angvardi Empress, some more of Raella, and a new character who will play his part later on. The second half of this chapter will bring in some more information, then we get crazy. I had a blast writing these chapters and am still having fun.

This is where I also get into a ton of foreign words. Rest assured, they are not just random gibberish, I have their translations recorded for future use. I would italicize them, but it would be too much of a hassle. The only things I italicize are words that are emphasized.

Chapter 16

Never look a Krue in the eye.

”” Sei antidote

Edge of Subeleth Wood

Krue Territory

The first thought that Syler had as he saw the fireball heading towards him was that he was going to die. The second was that he shouldn't have forced Bronwyn to share his fate. He didn't have time for a third thought before it hit him and he was covered in flames.

The horse bucked and tried to throw him, but he had tightened every muscle in his body in preparation for the blast and was able to hang on with Bronwyn safely braced between his arms as he gripped the reigns. The world turned into light and fire, but he felt no pain. So this is what it is to die, he thought.

Then the fire faded into smoke and he wasn't dead. The same woman was staring at him with a haunting smile on now on her lips. Havert was crying out his name, and Bronwyn was still leaning up against him unconscious. Syler calmed his horse down as best as possible while the others began to register their shock.

Syler couldn't help but notice that the only one who wasn't surprised was Growald. He sat on his horse with a look that might just be smug pride. The rest were in shock or were completely confused. None were as confused as he was because he had absolutely no idea what had happened.

The woman, though, all but leaped from atop her hasuan and started walking cautiously toward him. He didn't know why he did it, but Syler followed suit and got off his horse. Lamastus recovered from his own shock and helped him get Bronwyn settled on the ground.

The woman walked straight up to him and appraised him up close. Somehow, as she stared into his eyes, he had the feeling that she wasn't just trying to see what color they were. She didn't offer any emotions on her face, except perhaps a touch of judgmental sternness. The corners of her mouth were turned down and her eyes were narrowed in intense scrutiny. She grabbed his jaw and turned his head to each side, then put her hand in front of his face and started mumbling words he didn't recognize.

Syler didn't know what to say, so he just stood there. At last, the woman spoke, "So, you are the Majiyae Oretezu."

Syler hesitantly asked, "What is the 'majiyae oretezu?'"

She cocked her head and stared into his eyes once more. "You have not learned of it yet? Why has your Guardian not told you?"

Before Syler could speak, Growald interjected, "Because his Guardian knows it isn't his place to tell the boy everything."

The woman whirled around and said something in a foreign tongue that caused burly man to blanch. "You are the Guardian of prophecy?"

"Yea, and believe me, it wasn't easy getting him here or making sure he didn't get himself killed."

Syler was too confused to do anything but gape at them, but Havert was able to quietly utter a few choice curses.

"You would have failed had I not been present," the woman said.

"Eh, but I didn't, did I?" Growald countered. His voice had regained all of its nauseating swagger. "I got him here, just as I was supposed to, and you have taken over."

The woman favored him with a look that would have made most mortals curl up and whimper in fear, but he was not intimidated. In a voice dripping with acid, she said, "You have an interesting way of interpreting your duties, Guide."

"What are you talking about? What just happened and what is going on? Why didn't that fireball roast me?" Syler asked at last.

The woman turned her attention back to him. "It would seem that you are indeed the Totores Oretezu, the Ignorant One, as was prophesied. I did not expect you to be completely ignorant of your purpose upon coming here," she said as she gave Growald another glance.

"He is pretty dense, as I am sure you will find out," added Growald. "The signs are right in front of him, but he does not see them."

"A lot of help you have been," Syler shot back.

The woman ignored his comment and said in a distant voice, "'And he shall be born innocent, unknowing of the future he will lead.' That is what the prophecy says, and so it has come to pass."

She turned around and spoke in her language to the other Krue for a short time. When she finished, they bowed their heads briefly then started lighting the piles of bodies on fire. As soon all of the bodies were burning, they leaped onto their mounts and formed ranks.

While they were doing this, the woman walked over to where Lamastus was watching over Bronwyn. Syler followed the strange woman and, just to be safe, knelt down to touch her hand so she wouldn't go into convulsions. He looked up to see the woman glaring at Lamastus.

After a few moments, she said in a low, menacing voice, "The Majiyae Oretezu has chosen to spare you, Angvardi. I pray that his mercy does not cause him heartache in the future."

Lamastus swallowed hard and said nervously, "I am his friend and he is mine."

"Perhaps, perhaps not," she said. "I will abide by his decision, but know that he and only he spared your life this day."

She looked down to where Syler was kneeling and her eyes ran over Bronwyn's body. "This is the woman you risked your life for?"

"This is my wife," Syler responded firmly.

"A Kuti," she said quietly to herself. "Interesting."

She knelt next to the two of them and placed her hand on Bronwyn's forehead. After a second, she said, "Let go of her, I cannot sense her while you touch her."

Syler frowned in confusion, but did as he was told. She kept her hand on Bronwyn's forehead for a minute, then gently pulled her shirt up to look at her stomach. After inspecting the marks on it, she said, "Whomever placed this spell was very powerful indeed. It is beyond my abilities to reverse it."

"So she will live like this for the rest of her life," Syler asked.

"Perhaps, perhaps not. You are the only one who can decide that, Majiyae Oretezu."

"What does that mean?"

"In your tongue, it means 'Master of Magic.' You slew four men while retrieving her, yes?"

Syler's eyes lost their focus as the memories of the blood and death returned to him briefly. "More than that."

"You heard the thunder and felt the ground tremble beneath you, yes?"

He nodded.

"Then you have come into your powers, just as prophecy foretold. Magic has no power over you because you are now its master. That is why my fire did not touch on you and why your touch banishes the curse placed upon this Kuti."

"That makes no sense," said Syler in a raised voice. "I really wish someone would just tell me what was going on."

The woman raised a single finger and said, "In due time. There is a way to remove the curse upon this Kuti forever, but you must learn how to do it. Some of your abilities are inherent to you, others must be learned. There is nothing we can do until we are in a safe place. You will come with me." Her voice and her glaring eyes did not invite argument, so Syler said nothing.

She stood up and said something to her warriors, then walked back to her mount. Two of the Krue guided their hasuan up to where Syler, Lamastus, and Bronwyn were and dismounted. "They will take the two of you on hasuan. It is faster and easier. The others will arrive later on their horses."

"But, I can't leave her or the pain will return," Syler protested.

"You will both ride on the hasuan, it is strong enough to carry three with ease," the woman said.

He didn't protest any further, but did as he was told. He soon found himself on top of the majestic beast. The Krue warrior was in the front, Bronwyn was next, and he was in the rear. He found that there was plenty of room and the mount didn't seem to have any difficulty.

"What is your name?" he asked the woman before they set off. "Surely you can tell me that much."

"I am known as Vekla," she said, then kicked her hasuan into action and they were off faster than the wind.

Imperial Palace

Angvard

Angvardi Empire

"It is an outrage!"

Raella couldn't entirely agree. She, along with the rest of the Imperial court, had been sitting in court going over Unification strategies when the messenger arrived bearing ill news. He presented his letter to her mother, the Empress, and allowed her to read it. As she did, her cheeks reddened and Raella knew that whatever it was that had happened wasn't good. Celienna gave the message to a herald and nodded at him to read it aloud for the court.

When they had heard the news of the slaughter of twenty-six priests of the Way and the desecration of their Kubei Temple, the entire court was outraged and furious. Some immediately cried out for vengeance against the population of Kubei, others wondered if the Tetrarchy had grown displeased with their progress there and were punishing them. A few more politically savvy men subtly questioned whether Governor Uthas was qualified to remain as governor or if he shouldn't be replaced for allowing this to happen.

Only the princess seemed to be saddened by the news and sat silently watching the uproar. To have all of those pious, faithful men die at the hands of the very infidels they were ministering to was a tragedy, not an outrage. Now, these powerful men and women were shouting for a reaction, retaliation, or preventative measures to be taken. It didn't much matter which group they fell under, they all were quickly spinning this to suit their own needs.

It never ceased to amaze her how men were willing to take the deaths of innocents and mold it to their own goals. The generals were demanding that they be allowed to recruit from the most loyal and devoted new converts so they could patrol their native cities and relieve the burden on the already strained Angvardi forces. The priests wanted punishment to rain down upon the city in the form of penance and sacrifice to the Tetrarchy. The politicians were either trying to oust the current bureaucracy and replace them with those loyal to their own causes or were defending the governor and his men because they shared political ideologies. The local aristocracy were concerned that this might raise their taxes or harm trade in the region. Those gifted with magic were proposing new, improved magical defenses for every temple and outpost that would prevent such an event from ever reoccurring.

None of them cared that twenty-six men died. None of them cared that there were poor, innocent, and faithful people in Kubei who were without priests or who had lost a dearly loved minister. She didn't know what she would do if Brother Ansee were to die. He had been her priest for almost all of her life and was a great spiritual comfort to her in all of her dark times fighting the nightmares she had from her own gift.

As the others waged their personal battles, she stayed silent by her mother's side. There was nothing for her to say and she didn't want to embarrass her mother in front of the court. Her mind wandered away from their petty arguments to trying to figure out why men would want to kill priests. It made no sense to her. The priests were good, holy men who merely wanted to help everyone get closer to the Tetrarchy and thus avoid Chaos. Who would ever want their souls to spend eternity in Chaos, where Darkness roamed and unleashed unspeakable anguish upon the souls of the damned? Who in their right mind wouldn't accept the tenants of the Tetrarchy and be accepted into Unity with the gods forever? She kept pondering what would drive men to such blind ignorance that they would strike down the very men trying to help save their eternal souls and protect Teladia from the Coming Darkness.

"And what of the Shalktra that were stationed in the Temple?" Valinc exclaimed. He was a prominent aristocrat with large farms in the South. Many of those farms had been burned and the workers slaughtered as part of the Terulans' terror campaigns. "Did they not insist that the city's guards be stationed elsewhere and the Temple's protection be left in their hands?"

For some reason, the mention of the Shalktra snapped Raella out of her private thoughts. It was dangerous to mention the Shalktra here and everyone knew it. On one hand, it was dangerous to bring back the memories of terror and slaughter they wrought upon Angvardi lands during the wars. Speaking fondly of them risked bringing political repercussions from those who had lost loved ones or fortunes from their raids of terror. On the other hand, it was dangerous to speak ill of them because they were not allies. Anyone who attacked them risked facing retaliation from those who believed that it was imperative for Terula and Angvard to be united under Unity and that any who questioned that was bordering blasphemy.

"That they did," confirmed General Pharis. As the officer in command of all Angvardi forces in occupied lands, he had not been happy when the empress had approved the Shalktra request to take up the protection of all Temples they were operating from. "It was against my advice, but our Empress authorized it."

"Then this is their fault," Valinc said. "They have shown that they are unable to protect our Temples. We need to expel them from our lands and be rid of them."

"We have way of knowing if our own guards would have been able to stop this," said Ferr. She was a wealthy heiress from Lavisha in the province of Nanai along the eastern coast who had inherited a shipping company. She had the foresight to marry a noble from Sartes. Since Sartes was along the coast just a hundred and ten miles from the border with Angvard, it made for excellent trade options with their neighbor. Goods from Angvrad and Fogora could get south easier if they first went east to Lavisha and loaded onto ships. They could stop in Sartes and resupply before heading to Terula and thus make a large amount of profit for Ferr.

"We have had no problems among the newly Unified provinces until the Terulans took over," said Valinc.

"It could have taken these malcontents that long to plan," said Calbas. He was a former governor of the Eartland Province who had retired three years ago. As a sign of the Empress' gratitude for his years of service, he was allowed a permanent presence in her court. Raella thought he was one of the more rational men in the room as he tried not to hold grudges nor did he have any real agenda since he was retired. Unlike those who were trying to acquire more power or influence, he was content to simply be here and serve her mother by giving his seasoned advice.

The fight continued and Raella lost track of it all. Her mother was content to allow everyone to say their piece and wage their battles while she listened. Raella knew that in time, she would make her own decisions based on what she had heard and would end the debate with her final word. Sometimes, that took hours, other times, it was just minutes.

This time, it would be just minutes because Valinc allowed himself to fall into a devastating trap.

"Then maybe it is high time to send all those damn Terulans back to their bastard king and be done with them!" he shouted in the heat of the moment.

Everyone knew that it was the wrong thing to say and the shock of his statement brought silence to the once tumultuous din.

Into that stillness floated the Empress' silky voice, "Is that what you really think, Valinc?"

He realized his mistake and gulped. "I am sorry, Empress, I spoke rashly."

"Is that what you really think?" Celienna repeated, this time with a definite menace to her voice. A frown formed on her face and her eyes were narrowed.

Valinc paled and said quietly, "I meant no disrespect, my Empress."

"Oh, but I have been disrespected. You have chosen to insult and blaspheme my husband, that 'bastard king' to which you are displeased with."

"I, I am sorry. It is just, just that so many of my family and friends suffered terribly during the wars, it is hard to look past that sometimes."

Celienna's face softened slightly and her voice returned to an almost placid level, "I do understand your suffering, for you were not alone in it. We all suffered during the wars, but that is why we must forgive and move on. The gods have shown us a better way, one of peace and Unity. We must forgive the sins of the Terulans just as they must forgive ours."

With his head bowed low, Valinc nodded and said, "You are, as always, correct, my Empress. Please, forgive me for my own transgression."

The Empress beckoned for him to approach her throne with an outstretched hand. As he stepped forward and knelt before her. In a soothing voice, she said, "Of course I will forgive you, Valinc. We all make mistakes and say things we don't mean." She took his hands in one of hers. In an instant, her faced hardened and Raella gasped quietly in horror at what she feared would come. When she continued, Celienna's voice was harsh, brutal, and without mercy. "However, as the gods command, there is punishment for all transgressions."

Flames began to form on her fingertips and soon, the throne room was filled with Valinc's cries of pain. The Empress held his hands in a firm grip as flames fully enveloped them. Raella could hardly bear to watch, but she knew she must or it would make her look weak. When the flames dimmed, the Empress' hand was fully intact, but Valinc's were charred and horribly burned. Raella hated it when her mother used her powers like this, but she always said that it was good to inspire both awe and healthy fear in one's subjects. Seeing one of their number punished so definitely contributed to the Empress' power and authority.

Celienna's spoke in a quiet voice that held no hint of the previous brutality it once held. "You are forgiven, Valinc, but pray that I do not see your face in my presence again." When she had finished, she released him causing him to stumble onto the ground at her feet.

Still weeping in pain, Valinc staggered to his feet and gave her a hasty bow before all but fleeing from the room.

"Now," Celienna said, "does anyone else have anything to say on the subject of expelling our Terulan brothers and sisters from our lands?"

Nobody did.

Interesting. I really enjoyed seeing the response from the "bad guys" as it were. Raella is clearly very naive. I have a feeling it will be a rude awakening for her if/when she realizes what those priests were doing and how they really treat the people.

Not much to comment on this chapter. Quite solid.

Syler followed the strange woman and, just to be safe, knelt down to touch her hand so she wouldn't go into convulsions.

I would say touch Bronwyn's hand, because the wording here made it sound like he was touching the Krue woman's hand.

"But, I can't leave her or the pain will return," Syler protested.

No comma.

amipaint2.jpg

A short piece, but necessary.

Village of Thwrud

Krue Territory

They rode like the wind.

Syler was astonished at how powerful and endurable the hasuan was. Even in the forests, well away from open fields, the magnificent animal was able to travel at speeds that would put even the fastest racehorse to shame. At first, it was scary to see the huge branches and tree trunks zipping by as nothing more than green and brown blurs. He kept expecting to run into one of them and end up flying through the air and landing in a broken heap on the forest floor. As the hours went by, he got used to it and came to enjoy the wind in his face.

Something he noticed fairly quickly was that riding on the back of a hasuan was far smoother than on horseback. If he couldn't feel the wind on his face and see the trees flying past, he would have thought he was on a horse moving at a leisurely walk. The back was a little wider than a horse which made it slightly uncomfortable for him, but by the end of their journey, he was getting used to it. Since there wasn't as much jostling around, he wasn't as sore or worn even after four hours of riding.

The Krue riding with them remained silent. Syler tried to strike up a conversation with him, but he said nothing in return. After a few attempts, he began to wonder if the warrior even spoke the Common Tongue. Since Bronwyn was still unconscious, he had nobody to talk to. On occasion, he could see other Krue riders, but they didn't follow any formation or path that he could decipher and faded in and out of the organic tapestry that surrounded them.

At last, they entered a clearing and slowed to a light trot. Syler could see a village in front of them with thin wafts of smoke coming from various chimneys. The other Krue seemed to materialize out of the forest next to them, though nobody said anything.

Vekla rode up in front of the group and led them into the village. It was the strangest village Syler had ever seen. Wood was the primary source of building materials and everything was wood. Having grown up in the prairies and hills of what the Easterners called the Near West, wood was not very plentiful. There was wood to be had for crafting, fire, and making some support beams, but to build a structure entirely out of wood was a luxury that only the most wealthy of aristocrats could afford. Most of their houses were made from bricks or stone which were plentiful, but here in the forest, wood was easy and readily available.

As they went through the village, Syler was in awe of the giant log cabins. Some were made from whole logs stacked on top of each other. The rest, most noticeably the smaller structures, were made from wood planks. In front of almost every structure was an ornately crafted totems that sometimes rose up to twenty feet into the air. They seemed to generally be a giant log that had been erected and hammered into the ground so they stood up almost like a branchless and leafless tree. Into that log were carved animals, people, what might have been words, and various scenes. Somehow, Syler was reminded of the stone panels of the Temple tower in Kubei, except these scenes were not scary or disturbing like those were.

At some houses, there were stables custom fit to house hasuan. He didn't see any larger stables and wondered if that meant that each warrior kept their mount close to home. Some of the stables seemed to be extremely well stocked with various bedding and even stone ovens for heating. It struck him that the Krue probably took extremely good care of their hasuan, better than even royal horses were elsewhere.

The people, though, were even more strange. Instead of wearing cloth like he did, they wore mostly leather and furs. Almost everyone openly carried a weapon, usually a long knife or small axe, even the children. The most disturbing thing about them was that each of them from the old to the young looked as fierce as the warriors who had escorted them in. As the warriors entered, they all looked up and called out names or greetings in their own tongue. It was a very friendly reception and Syler wondered how many of these warriors lived here.

At last, they stopped in front of a particularly large log cabin and dismounted. Vekla gave a few commands and a stretcher was brought out from inside to put Bronwyn on. All but the two warriors carrying the stretcher remained outside while she led Syler inside. The cabin appeared to consist of a single room thirty feet wide and twice that length long and some smaller rooms connected to it. To his shock, in the middle of the front of the room floated a fireball that provided light and heat. Below it was a small pit of bare earth, but otherwise it was completely in the open. It was a feat of magic that Syler had never seen firsthand before and it left him in awe.

The rest of the cabin was devoted to two long tables with bench seats that stretched thirty feet. At the back of the room was a small throne slightly raised above the rest of the tables. In it sat an older man who was consulting with a few others who looked like warriors but, considering the standard of dress he had seen outside, could be anything from shopkeepers to blacksmiths like him. There were a few men and women sitting at the tables either eating or talking to each other, but otherwise there was nobody else present.

Vekla led them boldly behind one of the long tables and came to a stop ten feet from the throne. She bowed her head reverently and waited to be acknowledged. The man sitting eyed Syler and Bronwyn for a few moments, then said something to her in their tongue. The two of them had a short conversation during which it seemed that Vekla was trying to convince him of something. After a couple of minutes of this, the man looked directly at Syler and said in the same thick accent that Vekla possessed, "Come, Syler Penion of Sandrin, let me gaze upon you."

Though he didn't want to leave Bronwyn unattended, Syler knew better than to defy this man. He stepped forward and allowed the older man to grab his hand. The man looked first at his palm and read it as if he could see words written upon it. When he was satisfied, he looked straight into Syler's eyes and repeated the same hand gestures that Vekla had done after blasting him with a fireball. He still wasn't exactly comfortable with people slowly waving their hands an inch from his face, but he didn't dare say anything about it. Everyone in the room had stopped talking and was looking at this man and the stranger.

"So," he said thoughtfully, "it is true. The Majiyae Oretezu walks among us at last."

"What does that mean, sir?" Syler asked, not really expecting to get a response.

The man stared at him and said something briefly to Vekla. She nodded and he frowned. "You know nothing of your role?"

Syler shook his head, "No, I don't. I am tired of people talking about me and want some answers."

The man made a wheezing noise that made Syler think the man was sick until he realized it was his bemused laughter. "Fortasi, patience, young one. There is time yet for you to learn. You are safe here and will be for as long as you need." In a louder voice clearly meant to be heard by all in the room, he said something in Kruish. The others in the room clasped their left hands to their chests and bowed their heads in response.

"By my order, you are welcome here as an honored guest of the village of Thrwud. I am Avenil, lord of Thrwud. You will stay in my house as my personal guests."

Syler didn't speak for a few moments as he absorbed this. He wasn't familiar with the Krue's customs and wasn't sure exactly how to respond. Bronwyn took this opportunity to moan a little reminding him that he needed to touch her once more. He didn't want to offend Avenil, but he also didn't want his wife to suffer even in her sleep.

He bowed his head and took a few steps backward so he could reach down and take Bronwyn's hand. "I am honored, Lord Avenil, but it would be impossible for me to accept your hospitality while my wife and friends are excluded."

"Keezat yosere, well spoken, Syler Penion of Sandrin," said Avenil. "I respect a man who is loyal to his family and companions, even at the risk of angering a lord of the Krue by refusing his grace." He asked Vekla something in their language to which she replied. He looked back at Syler and said, "Very well, I extend my hospitality to those who came with you, provided none shall betray our generosity. Should any of them do so, it will be upon your head." He addressed those in the room and received the same response he had the first time.

Suddenly, Syler wasn't so sure he had made a good move since he had no idea what Growald would try, but what was done was done. "Thank you, Lord Avenil. Now, could you please tell me what is going on?"

The lord smiled and motioned for him to sit down on the bench closest to his left hand. The men who were there saw this and quickly moved without hesitation so he had a place to sit. Once again, Syler was torn about how to navigate this situation. "Sir, I must be able to touch my wife. She has some sort of curse spell upon her and if I am not touching her for more than a few minutes, she will be wracked with pain so severe that it interrupts her even in unconsciousness."

Avenil got up from his chair and walked over to where Bronwyn was laying. He felt her forehead and asked a few questions of Vekla. "A vile and insidious spell cast by one who went to considerable effort to place it upon her. Be cautious, Majiyae Oretezu, for many are your enemies and strong is their magic. Your devotion to her is admirable and will be honored. I will have healers brought here immediately to see if we cannot address her wounds."

"Thank you, sir," Syler said with genuine gratitude.

He issued several orders and someone went out to get the healers. Two others laid Bronwyn's stretcher along the benches so that Syler could still reach out and stroke her forehead even while sitting. Food and drink were set down in front of him and the Krue lord began explaining things.

Edited by Guest

Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this story. RL has just been really hectic, and its going to get worse over the next 2 months until after I get back from my honeymoon.

I'm active, but only in short bursts for the time being. Sorry bud.

So I've read up to the end of Chapter 14. Still enjoying it. I do agree with Ami on the 'but' in regards to the going further then any other day bit, it doesn't fit, and your example isn't the same as your sentence either. It needs to be changed, because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Member of Jnet Addict Club 12/05

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

Hah! Finally got the time to sit down and read this. Good chapter, with lots of description. I enjoyed looking at the village and the new culture that Syler finds himself in.

Here's what I noticed in terms of crit:

Syler had never been on a hasuan before, but now that he had, he was amazed.

Yeah, we know he's never been on one before. He just had a crazy reaction at the sight of them in the last chapter. You don't need to tell us again that he'd never ridden one. Just say that he was amazed and leave it at that.

At first, it was scary to see the huge branches and tree trunks zipping by as nothing more than green and brown blurs.

Scary? For someone who has fought in battles, seen terrors beyond imagining, and been on the run for his life? Maybe nerve-wracking, but I don't think it would be scary to him.

Some were made from hole logs stacked on top of each other.

Whole, not hole.

Into that log was carved animals, people, what might have been words, and various scenes.

Were, not was.

It struck him that the Krue probably took extremely good care of their hasuan, better than anyone else he had seen.

He's never seen hasuan before, so he's never seen anyone care for them. I would change this to 'mounts' to get the idea that you mean to convey.

Good stuff! You continue to entertain!

amipaint2.jpg

Yeah, we know he's never been on one before.

Good point. That has been changed to:

Syler was astonished at how powerful and endurable the hasuan was.

Scary? For someone who has fought in battles,

Changed to "startling."

Whole, not hole.

It is a log with holes in it, therefore it is a hole log.

No really, I just missed that, so it has been fixed.

Were, not was.

Fixed.

He's never seen hasuan before, so he's never seen anyone care for them.

Excellent point, has been changed to:

It struck him that the Krue probably took extremely good care of their hasuan, better than even royal horses were elsewhere.

Alright, this chapter and the next will explain a great deal of stuff surrounding Syler's destiny and what all everything means. It doesn't give it all away, but there is more information packed into these two chapters than any I have had so far.

That being said, there is also some action as well as a major development between Bronwyn and Syler. This next chapter helps steer everything from now on and gives the reader (and Syler) a direction that the rest of his quest will be taking. Things get a little wild here, especially in the next section of this chapter. I had tons of fun with this section.

PS: I know the healer woman uses bad grammar, that is entirely intentional.

Chapter 17

What can one man do by himself? Even the strongest of men would tire and falter against an army were he alone. Even the most eloquent and persuasive of speakers cannot be everywhere. Even the most determined of men cannot climb a tall wall without help.

The One Who Masters Magic will not stand alone, but will have others with him to guide, protect, and help him in all that he must do.

”” Contemplations Upon Prophecies Concerning the Master of Magic by Sage De

Village of Thwrud

Krue Territory

"Nearly every culture has tales of the world coming to an end," Lord Avenil said. "Some of these tales come from oral traditions. They become part of the culture of that people and thus are integrated into its society. Nobody really knows where these tales come from because they are just there. We could speculate that they come from a lone prophet or witch from the ancient years, but we don't know for sure.

"Other cultures take their tales from a more studied approach. They collect prophecies, test the future, and extrapolate from those things what they believe will come. I can't say that this method is always failsafe as prophecy can be distorted and testing the future doesn't always produced accurate results, but there is a great deal of material out there that supports this method.

"There are cultures that have taken a religious approach to the subject. They believe that their deities have decreed an end of everything but, at least with the benevolent ones, have provided a way for salvation for the faithful. They often mix prophecy and their faith and pour them into a mold that fits their religious beliefs.

"Then there are those peoples who understand that there are forces at play in this world that are beyond mere mortal men and that it is those forces that determine everything.

"You know of some of the supernatural beings that are worshiped by man. The Sei, Kosh, and Sua believe in and follow the will of the Elements, beings of balance and stability who give and take away to ensure harmony. The Kuti and Gope believe in the Spirits, generally benevolent beings who care for those who love them, but are very jealous towards those who do not. In the south, there are those who worship the Stoics, beings who demand the utmost discipline and restraint in all their followers do. In the Deep West, the tribal peoples believe that the Grifters walk among the weak and prey upon their souls. The Easterners worship the Tetrarchy as part of their so called Way.

"So tell me, Syler Penion of Sandrin, which of these are correct? Who worships the true god and who sees the truth?"

Syler wasn't sure exactly how to answer. He knew others believed in different things, but he had never really cared what they thought or who was right. He knew from personal experience that the Elements were real. That was why he had stayed true to them in the face of the Angvardi invasion. Somehow, though, he knew that would not be the answer that Avenil was looking for. "I don't know, sir," he said.

"That is a good answer," the old man said. "Never be afraid to admit ignorance among the Krue. Questions are never shunned among the People, neither is the truth. The only time you would ever be punished is for pretending to know that which you do not."

He leaned forward and gazed directly into Syler's eyes. "I am here to tell you, Syler Penion of Sandrin, Majiyae Oretezu, that they are all the truth. How can that be, you ask? I will explain.

"Mankind is not alone in this world. There are beings who exist on a different plane from ours, but they are not all content to remain there. These beings are of different types and qualities. Each have different goals and purposes, some of which are desirable from our perspective and others which are not.

"Most are content to live in their own realm and are satisfied with their existence as it is. However, there are those who are not and who enjoy meddling in the affairs of the mortals. This can be for man's benefit, or it could be for man's detriment.

"Just as with men, these beings are not unified under one common purpose. They are divided into groups, kingdoms, kinds, and interests much like our kingdoms and races and trades here. These beings tend to take interest in particular groups of people and interfere in their lives as they see fit. Some of them care for the mortals under their watch, others are apathetic or seek a balance. The worst as those who despise mortals and wish nothing but their destruction.

"We are fortunate that there are those in that realm who value our presence and care for us. They are constantly in strife with those who wish our utter destruction and have kept them at bay for thousands of years. Neither side is stronger than the other, thus neither is able to dominate.

"Nothing stays in perfect balance forever, Syler Penion of Sandrin. Sooner or later, something tips the scales and one side grows stronger than the other. Once that change begins, once the scales start leaning towards one side, it is very hard to reverse course. The longer the scales are able to tip, the less likely it will ever change. It is much harder to stop a rolling boulder at the bottom of the hill than near the top."

"What do I have to do with any of this?" Syler asked.

"A good question. Prophecy speaks of you as being central in the upcoming conflict that is soon to erupt over the entire world. You hold great power, Syler Penion of Sandrin, more than any who has come before you. Those of the Immortal Realm have selected you for a task of the utmost importance. There is more, but I am not the one to tell it." Avenil glanced expectantly over to where Vekla was sitting.

Before she could say anything, the healers he had sent for arrived. There were three of them. One, a skinny woman of middle age, seemed to be in charge. There was a young man and woman, both around Syler's age who carried various potions, cloth bags, and raw herbs for her. The older woman inspected Bronwyn's wounds and tutted in disappointment. She pulled out some salves and potions to test her patient and assess her wounds. After several long minutes in which Syler waited in near breathless anxiety, she spoke. "Whoever been tending to her done her a disservice and made things worse than they should be."

"We were forced to travel and avoid people," Syler said indignantly. "I was not familiar with the lands we were in and couldn't find the right herbs. Even when I did, we didn't have time to let her rest properly for fear of our pursuit."

"That be no excuse," the woman said. "This woman be nearly with the Spirits."

It was no surprise to him. He knew she was in bad shape, and both of their flights over the last two days didn't help. "I know. She is also under a curse, I think that is affecting her ability to heal."

He showed the healer the marks on Bronwyn's stomach. "Magic be not my area of wisdom, healing be. What it does to people be beyond me, though I know a few tricks. How long be she this way?"

Syler thought for a few moments. The days had flown by and he wasn't entirely sure. "I think it has been twelve days since we rescued her, but she was imprisoned and tortured for two days before that."

The woman looked at him with wide eyes, "Two weeks?" She gently turned Bronwyn's head to show her blackened cheek, "This be not two weeks old, but no more than two days old."

Syler nodded mutely.

The woman said something to the young male assistant and he scampered off to do her bidding. "This be worse than I thought, far worse. This be magic at work, no doubt." She glanced at Vekla and asked a question in Kruish. The warrior sorceress shook her head. The healer swallowed hard and said, "There be nothing I can do for her if she be under a spell that prevents her healing. If the Mistress cannot reverse the spell, then she will die."

He had known that getting help for Bronwyn would be a long shot, but there had still been hope. The only two things keeping him going were that Bronwyn would get better and that he could find Karusa and go away to live in peace. Even when they were tired and in pain, he had driven their small group forward on the way to Sandrin. None of them had any reason to go there, they simply followed him as he led them ever onward. When they had been forced to turn away from finding Karusa, Syler did it with a very heavy heart. Despite that heaviness, he still kept going because he had hope that the Krue would be able to help Bronwyn. He had once again been denied his sister and now it seemed that the Elements were going to take his wife from him.

He wasn't going to let it happen, not again. Enough was enough. He had given much to the Elements, now it was time that they give him something in return. His despair began to turn into bitter determination and anger. He had served the Elements for all of his life and had become an oathbreaker to continue to honor and respect them. He had sacrificed and gone without while asking for nothing in return. Many times, when others had complained or fought, he accepted what had happened to him because it was the will of the Elements. The Elements gave and they took away, that was the way of things.

But no more. He was tired of giving and wanted to take something for himself. He was a man who had been stretched to his limits over the past two weeks. Exhaustion, despair, hope, love, and sheer, raw determination were converging into a pure force that was igniting fury within him. It had been building up since the night they took Bronwyn and how, when it seemed that all hope was gone, he could no longer contain it.

"No," whispered Syler. "I forbid it."

Then everything within him snapped. He began to see red on the edges of his vision. He was furious and instead of holding back, he let his fury build up just as he had when fighting Growald. He directed his fury at the Elements and the Angvardi and the Shalktra and Governor Uthas and the Priests of the Way and the men who tortured his sweet Bronwyn and the generals who led the campaign to conquer his home and anyone else who had stood in his way. The red brightened and he could feel the veins in his neck pulsing.

"No more," he said through clenched teeth. "I have given and you have taken, but no more. I don't know what you want of me, but you shall not have it."

The redness had almost completely taken his vision. He no longer cared what anyone else thought as he stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs, "I call upon you, Elements of the Earth! If you want me to do anything for any of you, you will do my bidding! I swear upon all that is sacred and binding, if Bronwyn dies, I shall set myself against you with all of my heart and will, now and forever."

The red shifted into white and he could see nothing. In his fury, he could only think of what Avenil had said about the Elements. He spoke of them as though they were individuals, not just abstract entities. That sparked another memory, one that had been long repressed in his mind. He took a deep breath and shouted, "Yie raqueiil notoar forswe tarques, Suella, motqual pansuel fatrere!"

As soon as the last syllable left his lips, the white enveloped him and he was taken.

Edited by Guest

Ooh, interesting!! I wonder what he said there at the end...and is he going to stand before the Elements themselves??? I'm sure he is strong enough to undo the spell (well, I hope he is), but I wonder if he can learn in time to save her...

Lots of stuff to think on. Very interesting developments.

Three tiny things:

it is those forces that determine everything."

You know of some of the supernatural beings that are worshiped by man.

The quotation marks need to be at the beginning of the second line and not at the end of the first.

Some of them care for the mortals under their watch, others are apathetic or who seek a balance.

Don't need "who" in this sentence.

Once that change beings

I think you mean "begins", not "beings".

amipaint2.jpg

Fixed everything you pointed out both here and in the master document.

This next part is, well, most interesting to me. It is perhaps among my favorite pieces to write. It hits the crux of things and demonstrates what Syler's powers include.

He was back home. It was not Bronwyn's house in Kubei nor was it Fitno's house, but home. It was the house he had grown up in, the house his parents had owned until they died. Syler could sense it all, every detail. He remembered the smells of his mother's cooking, the bubbling of the boiling pots full of potions his father was making, and the sound of his sister laughing with one of her friends while they were patching clothes and blankets.

His heart skipped a beat when he saw Marien, his mother, in the kitchen. She was just like he remembered her to be with a warm smile and laugh lines around the corners of her eyes. She had long brown hair and beautiful, comforting blue eyes. She was humming a soft tune as she peeled potatoes in preparation for supper.

"Mom!" he cried out. He ran toward her and tried to give her a hug, but when he reached her, his arms passed right through her body and he nearly fell. Stunned, he whirled around to look at her and saw to his dismay that she had continued on as though nothing had happened. "Mom! It's me, Syler," he pleaded as a lump began to form in his throat. Marien didn't react, but kept slicing the skin off of the potato she was holding.

Syler tried to get some reaction out of her, but nothing worked. In shock, he walked out of the kitchen and into the room where he had heard Karusa and one of her friends talking. His sister was so young, barely even ten years old. Even at that young age, she helped Mom in whatever way she could just as he did by searching for herbs and plants. "Karusa," Syler said, though he didn't dare hope that she would respond. His sister said nothing, but continued to gossip about some local girl caught kissing a boy.

He was now numb as he tried to find his father in his small shop. Tarneis Penion was there, as always, brewing some sort of potion while tending to the store. Syler walked right up to him and tried to put his hand on his father's shoulder, but, like his mother, it passed right through. His father didn't even notice him.

A voice, more familiar than any other yet strange to his ear, called out, "Father, I am back." Tears flowed from Syler's eyes as he turned to the store's door to behold himself entering through it carrying a bag full of roots and berries and leaves and stems. His father looked over at the younger Syler and smiled. "Excellent," he said. "Come here and let me see what you found." The boy Syler did so and was eager to show his father what treasures he had found as though nothing else in the world mattered but pleasing his father.

This was a good time in Syler's life, a time when he was whole and happy. But it was a lie.

Even though his heart longed to return to those simpler times, he knew that those days were gone forever. His parents were dead and his sister missing and in the hands of some Sua brute. He was on the run from the most powerful empires in Teladia and his wife whom he loved dearly was dying. His life was in shambles and hope had fled. He went back into his house and began to walk up the stairs and towards the room that had been his, hoping to get away from the painful images below.

"Hello, Syler," a voice from above him said.

Syler looked up and saw a woman in flowing white robes standing in the doorway to his own room. He had never seen her before, but he was immediately put on guard. Her chestnut colored hair long and silky and was more beautiful than any Syler had seen before. Beneath her robe was a perfectly bronzed skin that looked as smooth as finely spun silk. Her face was purely radiant and nearly glowed in the sunlight. Despite her beauty, there was something about her that made Syler think that it was all false, just like this house. "Who are you?" he demanded.

"I am Suella," the woman said with a smile. "You summoned me, and I have answered as I promised I would."

Syler didn't know what she was talking about. "When did you promise that and when did I summon you?"

Suella walked up to him and touched his cheek. When her fingers brushed his skin, his eyes were opened. He saw himself as a frightened boy lost in the hills before a storm. He saw fleeting glances of a woman in crimson and followed her to a cave he had never seen before. That much he remembered, but what he didn't recall until now was that woman coming back and sheltering him against the storm. She whispered comforting things to him, telling him how special he was, and encouraging him to stay strong. After the storm stopped and it was day, she promised that one day, when his need was great and when he was ready, he would see her again.

Syler gasped, took a step back, and stumbled to the ground of the hallway. "What, what is this place? Why did you do this to me?"

"Syler, my dear Syler," she said in a soothing voice, "I did nothing to you. Your mind brought us here, not me. Deep down, you wanted to return here so when you summoned me, this is where we were taken. You long for this simpler time, but it cannot be. I am sorry, Syler.

"You have been through much, and I fear you will be through much more before you are allowed to rest." There seemed to be genuine sadness in her voice. "I wept for you that night in the cave because I knew this day and many others worse than this would come. If I could have spared you the pain you have experienced and will suffer, I would. If only I could have taken it upon myself I would have, but that is not my burden to take."

"Who are you?"

She smiled, but there was little happiness in her eyes. "I am what you call an Element, Syler. I have always watched over you, Syler, even though you didn't realize it. Today, you summoned me in your time of need, and so I came to you in a form that your mortal eyes could see."

Syler was struck dumb. He couldn't do anything but gape at the woman and whisper words he couldn't finish. His brain couldn't believe what his body was sensing and it was overwhelmed.

Suella knelt down next to him and cradled his head in her lap as she had that dark and stormy night. "Shhh, Syler. Your physical body is weak and your mind is spent. You must be careful when you unleash your righteous fury because it leaves you drained. Here, allow me to give you of my strength."

She brushed his forehead and closed her eyes. Strength flooded into him and it felt as though his entire body was on fire. Every hair on his body was sticking up and his senses were tingling from the energy flowing through him. He was refreshed better than a full night's sleep and felt almost whole again.

His eyes snapped open and he saw a different world. They were no longer in his house, but in a forest. It was dark, but the area around them was lit by torches driven into the bare earth. The trees were bigger and taller than anything he had ever seen. They were so tall, he could not see their tops before they faded into the midnight darkness. In front of him lay Bronwyn, clothed in white and laying on a mound of piled wood surrounded by torches. She was laying out straight with her arms folded across her chest and her eyes closed in a peaceful sleep. It was the exact pose his mother was laid out in just before his father lit her pyre. That horrible memory, coupled with this scene brought tears to his eyes and he could not look at her any longer.

"Bronwyn," he sobbed. "You must save Bronwyn."

"Her time is finished," a new, deep male voice said. A massive, dark skinned man, dressed in plate armor of the purest gold and a majestic crimson cape had appeared next to them. His armor glistened in the torchlight and his cape billowed behind him as he approached them with purposeful strides. "She has fulfilled her part and shall join her ancestors among the Spirits of her people."

"No," Syler said. With Suella's strength flowing through him, he stood up and set his jaw in defiance. "No, it is not her time. You will spare her."

The man looked at him with such fury that Syler wanted to do nothing but run. There was literal fire coming from the man's eyes and smoke coming from his nostrils as he drew his sword. In the man's hand, the sword glowed with holy light brighter than the sun and drove back the darkness of the night all around him. "Do not presume to command me, mortal."

Had Syler been thinking rationally, he would have thrown himself to the ground in abject horror and begged this being's mercy. But he wasn't thinking rationally and his determination and love for the woman laying on the ground in front of them overrode all other concerns.

"I said no. If she dies, then I will never do anything for the Elements again."

The man let out a roar of anger and raised his sword. Syler stood his ground. He didn't care about his life now. There was nothing left to live for if the Elements were going to keep taking his sister and his wife from him. He had been pushed to his limit and wasn't going to back down.

"Erastmus, you cannot," Suella warned. "You know what he is."

For a moment, Erastmus looked as though he was going to cleave Syler in two, but he stopped himself. With a snarl, he lowered his arm and glared at the mortal who dared defy him. "You do not command the Elements, mortal. Not now, not ever."

"I have paid my dues, it is time for me to collect."

A new figure appeared. This man was dressed similar to Suella with white robes. Unlike her, though, these robes did not give him an air of tranquility and nobility. "What do you offer us, Syler Penion? What do you offer that would make us buy her soul?"

Syler wasn't entirely sure what this newcomer was talking about, but he knew what he had to offer. "My service. I don't know what you want me for, but Lord Avenil said that I had some part to play, some part that makes me important not just to us 'mortals' but to you. Spare her and I shall offer my services."

"Syler, be careful," warned Suella. "Crusos is not to be trusted."

"That is hardly sufficient payment. What else do you have to offer?"

"Not so fast," Syler replied. "I don't have to do anything. I can go live in a hut in the middle of nowhere and stay out of whatever you need me to do."

Crusos offered a sly smile, "If that is what you wish to decide, then another will be brought up in your place. Do not think you are not expendable. All mortals can be replaced."

Syler stuck his chin up, "I don't believe you."

"I do not care what you believe, mortal," snapped Crusos.

"Okay, then, have it your way," Syler said. He staked his hopes on one last final move. He turned to Suella, "Take me back to my realm."

She looked confused, "You would simply let her die?"

Syler shrugged, "I can do nothing to stop it, as the burly man said. It is her time."

"And you are going to give up?"

"I don't see what I can do here. If she cannot be saved, then I must do the only thing left to me."

"And what is that?" Crusos said with a chuckle.

Syler gave him a glare and said, "When Bronwyn breathes her last, I will ask Vekla or one of the other Kuti to kill me. If I cannot be with her in the realm of mortals, then our souls will be reunited in the afterlife."

"You wouldn't dare!" There was no smile on Crusos' face now. Even Suella looked stricken with shock and apprehension.

"Oh, yes I would. I told you, I told all of you, I am done with this one sided devotion. I have given all I can and can give no more. If you want me to keep going, then the Elements will have to give me what I want. It is as simple as that."

"You are mad!" exclaimed Crusos.

Erastmus surprised Syler by roaring in laughter. "What is it, Crusos, caught in your own webs? The mortal may be insolent, but he has great courage."

"What will it be, Crusos?" Syler asked. Crusos seemed torn and was clearly furious, so he added, "What is it to be? Will you see us both dead from your own stubbornness, or will you take my deal?"

With a snarl, the Element said, "Very well, Syler Penion, you have your deal. Mark my words, mortal, you will regret crossing me." With those words, he vanished as though he was nothing but smoke. As soon as he was gone, Syler let out a breath he had been holding. He had gambled that the Element was lying when he said others could replace him and it had paid off. Despite his victory, the tension had drained him emotionally.

"You should not have angered him," Suella warned. "He is clever and spiteful."

"I do not care," replied Syler. "I am tired of standing by and letting things happen to me. It is time that I stand up and take charge of my life."

Erastmus stepped up to him and looked him over. With a snort, he said in his booming voice, "In bringing that sniveling weasel down low, you have amused me, mortal. He and I have little favor for each other. You are not yet a warrior, but you shall be if you follow the path set before you. For that, I will grant you a boon. There will be a time when you need more than your own two arms. Go to Mount Khrinzat. There, among the ruins at its peak, I will guide you in making a weapon that will be feared throughout the mortal realms. With it, your journey will be much easier."

Syler nodded, but didn't know what to say to the towering warrior other than, "Thank you."

The warrior dissolved just as Crusos had leaving just him, Suella, and Bronwyn in the field. "What now?" Syler asked.

Suella closed her eyes for a time, then said, "Crusos has been true to his word. Bronwyn's life will be spared, but that is not the end of it. There is something you must learn in order to truly save her."

Syler's heart dropped. "What is that?" he said cautiously.

"The spell that is upon her will leave her crippled by pain without you. Eventually, it will drive her mad. You must reverse the spell upon her."

"What? How do I do that?"

She smiled, "It is within you already, Syler. You just need to learn how to access it. You have so many gifts available to you that you don't yet know. In time, you will learn them, but for now, you need only one."

She reached out and touched him in the center of his chest. Once more, Syler felt power unlike any he had ever sensed flowing through his body. He felt stronger, more energized, and more alert than he could recall having ever felt. He felt like he could run faster than a hasuan and bend steel with his bare hands. It was intoxicating to say the least.

"You will know what to do, Syler. My role in your journey is finished. Perhaps someday we will meet again. Goodbye, Syler Penion”¦"

Syler woke with a start. He immediately began coughing as his lungs were filled with noxious smelling smoke. Instinctively, he pushed whatever it was that was making the smell out of his face and tried to get a breath of fresh air.

"See, he be awake now," the healer said.

The next face he saw was the black and blue painted visage of Vekla looking at him with eyes full of concern. "What did you do?" she asked with awe in her voice.

"What he did would be to faint," the healer answered for him.

Vekla gave her an icy glare causing her to back away in silence. Syler was grateful for that because the woman was still holding a burning bunch of some sort of weeds that absolutely reeked. Now that his senses were coming back, he found himself on the wooden floor of the large log cabin. Bronwyn, still battered but alive, was lying on the bench next to him.

"Tell us, what happened to you?" Vekla said.

Syler sat up and shook his head to clear it. "I don't entirely know," he said.

"I have never felt such a thing," the sorceress said. "You gave off great power for the briefest of moments, then you collapsed. What spell did you use?"

"What?"

"We all heard you. You stood up and said something, then a great power rolled off of you. After that, you collapsed."

"How long was I out?" he asked.

"Just a few minutes," the healer said as she doused the burning bundle in her hands. "I revived you quick enough."

"I, I think that I was speaking to the Elements," Syler said. "It was like a dream, but it wasn't one."

To his surprise, Vekla nodded in understanding. "Such a thing is done on occasion, but it is very difficult to connect with those from that realm. I have never seen it done as quickly as you did. It normally takes painstaking preparation and great skill. What did the Elements say?"

"Huh?" Syler's mind was elsewhere for a few moments, thinking about what Sualla had told him. "Sorry, there were three of them, I think. We were talking about””Bronwyn!" he exclaimed suddenly remembering his wife.

He scrambled up next to her and took hold of her hand to keep the curse at bay. As he looked at her face, he saw that nothing seemed to have changed with her. She was still unconscious and the bruises were present. He didn't know why, but he had hoped that she would wake up at his touch, but she remained asleep. He cursed Crusos for not upholding his end of the bargain and his anger began to return. Before it could take hold of him, he remembered something that Sualla had said. Something about reversing the spell and knowing what to do”¦

He reached out and touched her forehead and closed his eyes. He felt something within him, something that was different. In his mind's eye, he saw Sualla touching him just before he woke up and remembered that she had done something to him. She said that she had made one of his gifts available to him and that he would know how to use it.

He didn't know what to do, but he did feel a sense of pure wrongness within Bronwyn. He opened his eyes and saw the marks made by magic glowing on her stomach. Guided by instinct, he reached out with his free hand and touched them one by one. As he did, the glow faded and was replaced by smooth, unblemished skin.

When he touched the last mark, he felt a shiver creep down his spine. Somehow, he could feel the curse and its sheer vileness. It was connected to him, but also to Bronwyn. In disgust, he tried to rid it from them both through his own sheer willpower. As he did, Bronwyn began to glow in his eyes with a pure, sky blue light that covered her from head to toe. He felt the spell's potential to do harm and rejected it. In his mind, he reached out to grab the tendrils of the spell and changed them. The spell's nature was to inflict pain and suffering upon others, but he was in control of it now.

Syler willed the spell away and the spell began to lose its grip. As it did so, it reversed its effects. Instead of harming and inflicting pain, the spell healed and restored its victim. By the time it vanished into nothingness, the spell had reversed what damage it had done and more.

Despite the heinous curse being purged from her body, something that shouldn't be there remained. It took him a moment, but he remembered the tracer spell that had been placed on her. It had to go or they would never live in peace. He searched for it and finally found it buried deep in Bronwyn's essence. As he had done with the first curse, he did with this one. Once he had found it, it was far easier to remove and banish than the other had.

As soon as the last spell was gone, Syler opened his eyes and nearly collapsed. A strong hand reached around his shoulders from behind and held him up. Sweat dripped off of his face and ran down his spine. He heard exclamations of shock, disbelief, and awe all around him.

But that wasn't what held his attention.

At that moment, despite what was going on around him, only one thing held his focus””Bronwyn's vibrant green eyes looking up into his own. Nothing in the entire world mattered at that moment. His surprise at what he had done was meaningless. The reactions of the others in the room were ignored. His exhaustion was irrelevant. Only Bronwyn mattered, and she was whole again.

He didn't need to look at the rest of her to know that the grievous wounds that had been inflicted to her body were gone. The curse that had been upon her for the last twelve days was gone forever and her link to whomever cast it was severed. She was free from the curse.

She smiled at him and whispered, "I know what you did, Syler. I saw you walking among the Spirits and heard your demands. You were braver than any I have ever seen before."

Syler shrugged off the hand holding him up and cupped her face in both of his hands. "I promised I would protect you."

"Yes, you did." Bronwyn reached up to pull him into a fierce kiss. For a few moments, all the cares in the world were gone and all was right.

Ah, great chapter!!! Syler is not a mortal to be trifled with either....lol. Well done--you have much reason to be proud of this section.

One tiny thing:

"I am what you call an Element, Syler. I have always watched over you, Syler, even though you didn't realize it.

The repetition of Syler is distracting. I'd lose the first one.

Fantastic stuff! Can't wait to see where you take this next!

amipaint2.jpg

Ami, I have fixed it and did as you suggested by eliminating the first use of his name. As for the Immortals themselves, I will just say that this won't be his only encounter with them. There won't be too much influence from their realm in this book or the next, but in the third, they play a major part. In fact, *spoiler alert* my working title for the third book is "One Who Vanquishes Gods."

Okay, another chapter that I actually quite like. It has no true breaking point in the middle, so I decided to split it up in the only place I could. That means, this part is only about 1800 words, but the second half of this chapter is going to be a little over 3000.

Also, I must admit to having gone back on my word. I made a statement/promise in one of the discussion parts of an early chapter and have found that I am not able to keep it. I had originally planned on a few different plots, but as things developed, those original ideas faded and were adjusted. I feel that it was necessary for me to renege on that statement, and the part where I do so is in this chapter. I don't want to say what it is right now because that would spoil the suspense (if I could delude myself into thinking that I was able to successfully create some suspense).

Anyway, back onto the next chapter and the aftermath of Syler's little trip.

Chapter 18

Though mortal he may be, his influence stretches beyond mortals.

When war is waged and the Coming Darkness is upon the Realms,

His strength will determine the fate of two worlds.

— Prophecy of Torghus of Krue Vael, known only to the Krue Loremasters

Lord's Longhouse

Village of Thwrud

Krue Territory

Their kiss eventually had to end and its spell faded away. They had to address the issues of the real world around them. Syler sat on the bench facing away from the table with his arm wrapped around a revitalized and completely healed Bronwyn. The healer was still mystified and in shock at what had happened, though Syler secretly shared her surprise. He answered questions posed by Vekla and Lord Avenil as best as he could, but the truth was that he didn't understand much of what he did himself. To him, he had simply drawn the line and done what he had to do to save Bronwyn. To them, he had done something extraordinary and awe inspiring.

When he had first entered this building, everyone had looked at him with suspicion, disgust, curiosity, dismissal, or a combination of the four. When Lord Avenil had accepted him into his hospitality, some looked at him as undeserving. It was worse than the cold, haughty looks that the Angvardi had given the Sei after they had surrendered at Fazei Crossing.

Now though, things were quite different. While Lord Avenil didn't seem too surprised, the others were. The men and women in the building were respectful and perhaps even a little frightened of him. As his story came out, they teetered between awe of him and calling it all impossible. Even the previously cold Vekla looked at him with newfound respect. The news of his courageous stand against the Elements and his miraculous healing of Bronwyn spread across the entire town like lightening and people were flocking to the log cabin to hear him speak.

"And so, you just banished the spell," asked Vekla.

It was the third time he had gone over this. "Yes, I saw it there clutching her in its tendrils and I envisioned pulling it off of her. When she was free and I had it within my hands, I willed its evil away and cast it aside."

The sorceress stared at him blankly as though such a thing was beyond her imagination. "Where did you learn to do such a thing? Who could have taught you magic that powerful?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. Suella, one of the Elements, did something to me just before I woke up. Perhaps that is what she was teaching me to do. I just reacted and did what I thought made sense."

"Impossible," she whispered. "I have seen such a curse before and nobody could stop it. Not even the strongest wizards or most powerful sorceresses could have removed its insidious touch. Even if they could, it would not explain how you healed her so quickly and without the usual spells. Such healing of that magnitude would have taken hours."

With a chuckle, Syler patted Bronwyn's leg and said, "Well, I can't explain it, but here she is. If she is not proof enough for you that it is possible, then I can't help you any further."

The woman had nothing more to say to that, but backed away into the crowd to contemplate what she had learned. Syler and Bronwyn fielded questions for a little while longer before Avenil rescued them by sending the crowds away. They were reluctant to depart, but his word was law and none were willing to challenge him.

When the last one walked out the door, it was just Syler, Bronwyn, Vekla, and Avenil remaining. He sat in his throne while the others were seated in chairs specially brought up next to him so that they formed a sort of circle. "Now then," Avenil began. "While I would prefer to divulge this information only with Syler Penion of Sandrin, I do not believe I could part the two of you long enough to do it."

"That is right," Syler said with a nod of confirmation. "I trust Bronwyn completely, anything you have to say to me can be said in front of her. If she is to help me, she needs to know as much as possible."

"Kota fos jhatt, this is true. I follow your wisdom in this matter, Majiyae Oretezu. I hope in time that I might earn the level of trust that you place in her. Be careful whom you trust, Syler Penion of Sandrin. Not all whom you would wish as friends will be so."

He paused and looked over at Vekla, then continued. "I believe it is time for more instructive introductions. I do not believe you know much about our culture, so I will endeavor to help you learn as much as possible in what short time we have left.

"I am Lord Avenil Saekoris, Loremaster of the Krue. There are many among our number who learn of the prophecies and lore that manages to find its way into mortal hands. Few of us truly master it, but I am one who, in the estimation of my peers, has done so.

"Prophecy has clearly that several key individuals will be present to help or to hinder you along your journey. Among the Krue Loremasters, those individuals are known as khsvat. I am one of the khsvat known as the Ulai Fequil, the Confirmer. It is my purpose to confirm who you are so that the world may know your presence."

He gestured at Vekla and said, "Vekla is a powerful sorceress, one of the best we have. For generations untold, the Krue have protected the one called the Rebastaq, or the Guide in your tongue. It is a mostly hereditary title passed down through the firstborn females, but it can be bestowed upon another woman if there are no suitable heirs available. Vekla's ancestors have been sorceresses for four generations and all have been the Rebastaq. It is the purpose of the Rebastaq to learn of both magic and of the prophecies regarding the Majiyae Oretezu, the Magic Master.

"It is her purpose to guide you on your journey. She knows much, almost as much as I do, and will be an invaluable source of information for you. Not only that, but as you saw, she is a sorceress who is more than capable of holding her own in battle.

"There are more, who will contribute to your journey. Vekla tells me that you have found the Bolteros, the Guardian, already. He is this Growald you were found riding with."

Syler let out a snort of derision. "I have difficulty believing that. He is nothing but a pain in the ass and an almost intolerable brute."

Avenil sighed and said, "It is not a warrior's place to be kind and gentle. Whether you know it or not, his purpose was to keep you safe until you could be delivered unto me for Confirmation. After that point, he is to serve you as your bodyguard until you go to be with your ancestors."

"I don't think I could stomach him as a bodyguard any more than he could stomach serving me," Syler warned.

"What you think is irrelevant," chided Avenil. "If he is indeed your Guardian, he protect your life at all costs. You will accept his services because you will need him."

Syler scoffed and said, "We will see. It is more likely that we will try to kill each other."

"Regardless, he has his part to play and will play it."

"That is great, but I must ask, what am I do to?" asked Syler. "I have heard much lately about how important I am or whatever, but I still do not know what makes me so important or what I am supposed to do."

"You are the Majiyae Oretezu, the Master of Magic. In all of time, there has never been one like you born to all the mothers of man. It is not entirely known what sort of powers you will wield, but it is known that the future hinges upon your actions. There is a war that will soon be waged both here and in the Immortal Realm. You will be the one who determines the outcome of that war, for better or for worse.

"This war is known by many names. The one you may be most familiar with is the Coming Darkness. Those who worship in the Way call it that and view it as a sort of end time catastrophe that can only be averted if the entire world is united under the political and spiritual banner of the Way. They are partially right in that it is a spiritual war, but not in the sense they may see it as.

"The Krue believe that the war will be fought not just here in Teladia, but also in the realms of the immortals. I told you of the Elements and the Spirits and others from that realm, yes? I do believe you met some of them in your own way just two hours ago. You are blessed for that, Syler Penion of Sandrin, for not all who attempt to contact them are granted an audience.

"It is not entirely clear what your part in this war will be. Prophecy is mute on that subject, probably intentionally so for reasons that are too complex for me to go into. It says plenty about how important your journey will be and how decisive you are, but little on the particulars of what exactly that journey entails. I have always believed that when the time comes, you will know what to do."

Syler gave him a blank stare. "So I am supposed to be some powerful and extremely critical person, but nobody has any idea what I am supposed to do or how I am to do it. This is not much of a help."

"I know it isn't, but it is all that I can give you. In time, you will know what to do."

Syler stood up and said, "What suggestions might you have? I have no idea what to do now other than to rest and wait for my friends to arrive."

"You must first be formally Confirmed. I am the Confirmer and believe that you are indeed the Majiyae Oretezu, but there are rites that must be conducted to be completely sure that you are who we have been waiting for and not a very clever or fortunate pretender."

"What does that involve?" asked Syler warily.

"Magic, for one," replied Avenil. "Do not fear, Syler Penion of Sandrin, there is no dark rituals or bloodletting. It will take me some time to prepare myself for the ritual, but you also must be prepared. We will conduct the Confirmation at dusk when the sun is setting."

"What are we to do until then?" asked Syler.

"You will be taken to my house to rest and cleanse yourselves in preparation," Avenil responded. "Vekla will take you and my servants will tend to your needs."

Cool, more information! And we get some of the helpers' roles defined. Good stuff, and glad for some answers finally.

I did have a question. Is "khsvat" deliberately similiar to "kvastat"? If not, then they are too similiar, because it will be very easy for the reader to get confused between the two foreign words (I did at first). If they are deliberately similiar, I hope you put in an explanation ASAP, because they are close enough to confuse.

One typo I caught:

"If he is indeed your Guardian, he protect your life at all costs

He will protect.

amipaint2.jpg

I did have a question. Is "khsvat" deliberately similiar to "kvastat"? If not, then they are too similiar, because it will be very easy for the reader to get confused between the two foreign words (I did at first). If they are deliberately similiar, I hope you put in an explanation ASAP, because they are close enough to confuse.

Hmmm, that was an early version of the word. Believe it or not, I realized its similarity (and my over reliance on words starting with "K") and actually changed it in my dictionary of foreign words. I am unsure as to why I never changed it. It threw me for a loop for a bit as I frantically tried to figure out what was the deal with that word because every foreign word that is used is in my dictionary and is translated (even the Elemental tongue Syler used to summon Suella). That word wasn't there, and its replacement was properly translated, just not put into the document.

I have changed it in both places to "Torelatat" which means essentially "someone who is mentioned in prophecy in relation to the Master of Magic." It often refers to those who will help the One, but it also can refer to the Betrayer, the Destroyer, and the One Who Must Die, individuals who do not necessarily help Syler.

I also fixed the typo you caught.

This next part is one I like and is crucial, but I need feedback on it to see if it is believable. Though, if you were to think that Bronwyn changes moods a little too quickly, I do actually provide a summary of her thoughts and perspective in the start of the next chapter. If that doesn't seem to work, I can consider ways to possibly integrate at least some of her perspective before this scene, but I kinda like it with the reader being like Syler and not knowing exactly what is going on.

True to his word, Vekla escorted them a short distance to where Lord Avenil's estate stood tall compared to the rest of the buildings. No house in Sandrin was this large and only a few of the highest officials in Kubei had such estates, so Syler was impressed. They were greeted by four servants, two men and two women, who quickly reacted to Vekla's orders to tend to their lord's guests. Syler wasn't exactly happy about being parted from Bronwyn, but they weren't really asked.

Syler was taken to a room that was luxurious almost beyond his imagination. It had a large bed with a plush looking mattress and several pillows. A beautifully carved wooden dresser supported, of all things, a large mirror. Like all of the Krue architecture he had seen, it was made of wood instead of stone or brick. Unlike the large log cabin he had just been in, this room had dark red carpet.

Connected to that room was a full bath similar to the one in Bronwyn's old bedroom but far nicer. The two male servants tending to Syler bowed and exited the room leaving him to further explore the room. The clothes on the racks were mostly padded leather garments or furs, but there were a few lighter woolen pieces. Syler was quite eager to get out of the clothes he had been in for the last twelve days. Even with an extra pair, to alternate in, they were still filthy and he was more than eager to be out of them.

In addition to the clothes, the room also had combs, razors, belts, four different types of knives, and jewelry. The jewelry was mostly gold, though Syler noticed a few pieces that had platinum in them. He admired the intricate metalwork of each piece. Despite the utilitarian functionality of their clothing, the Krue apparently valued delicately crafted and very detailed jewelry. He hoped that he might have a chance to meet whatever goldsmith crafted these pieces and learn some of what he knew.

After he inspected the room, he sat down on a wooden stool and waited for the servants to return. It was the first time in twelve days that he had been alone. There hadn't been more than a few moments during their journey that he had not at least had Bronwyn near him. He took the time to reflect a little on what had happened in the last day. So much had changed that he didn't know if there would ever be a way to go back. Bronwyn was healed, he talked to the Elements themselves, he was apparently some sort of mythical warrior that would save the world, and he was in the middle of a Krue lord's estate—about the last place in Teladia that he would ever have thought he would end up. It was a lot to take in.

The servants interrupted his thoughts by returning with buckets of warm water for a bath. They poured it into the tub and stood by waiting for his instructions. "Umm, could you leave?" Syler asked and pointed to the door. They looked at him oddly, but got the message when he gestured to the door again.

As soon as he had privacy, he peeled off the old and dirty clothes and got into the warm water. Warm baths were a luxury he rarely got so he made sure to enjoy this as much as he could. There were scented soaps and rags to use near the tub. After the days of endless travel and nothing but a blanket to shield him from the cold, hard ground at night, this made him feel far, far better. He waited and soaked in the water until it began to grow cold.

After getting out and drying himself off, he went through the wardrobe and looked for something to wear. He wasn't so sure about the leather and furs were probably too warm for autumn days, so he went with a deep green shirt made of wool and some matching trousers. It probably wasn't going to help him blend in among the culture here, but it was simple and plain, just as he liked it.

As soon as he was dressed, he called for the two servants. They entered immediately and Syler figured they had been waiting outside his door the entire time. "Take me to where Bronwyn is." He hoped she had been able to enjoy the luxury he had just experienced and was relaxing. Now that they had both had the time to clean up and get into some fresh clothes, he wanted to have the chance to talk in private. They hadn't been able to talk while in Avenil's dining hall, so he wanted the chance to do so now.

The two men looked at each other, then back at him. One of them said in an apologetic voice, "Kae haelait usasto, oretezu."

"What?"

"Fuswau, haelait usasto," the man repeated with a plaintive look on his face. The other man shook his head.

"Bronwyn," Syler said slowly. They clearly didn't understand the Common Tongue, but maybe they would get the meaning in his voice. "Take me to her."

The men shook their heads again, though one held up a finger and said, "L'oreathus." He trotted out of the room leaving the other man to stare helplessly down at the water not knowing what to do.

The first man returned with another after a minute or two. The new arrival said, with a thick accent, "What is it that the master desires?"

"I want to be taken to where Bronwyn is," said Syler. "She is the woman that came with me."

The man blinked a few times in confusion. "She is where women go, not where men are."

Syler frowned and repeated himself, "Take me to where she is."

The three said a few things in Kruish, then the man said, "It is not done. Men stay here, women have own place."

The frown on Syler's face grew to a scowl and a glare. A look of alarm came over all three of the men and Syler gathered that they were to keep him happy. He decided to go off that and press them harder. He dropped his voice and said, "I was not aware that the Krue made it a habit of treating their guests so poorly. Bronwyn is my wife and I desire to see her. Now."

"B-but oretezu, it is not p-proper," the man stammered.

Syler arched his eyebrow. "Why is it not proper for a man to see to the care and comfort of his wife? Among the Sei, that is among their chief duties as husbands. You wouldn't want to offend your lord's guest, would you?"

The man paled and said a few things in Kruish to the other two. They didn't respond, so he said, "Very well, oret—master." He gestured for Syler to follow him and the two left.

They were stopped by a woman where they had been split up, but the man convinced her to take him in after a short discussion. The woman clearly didn't look happy, but she did what she was told and took Syler to a door that looked like the one he had been led into. Though she stopped at the door, she gestured for him to proceed.

Syler gently knocked on the door and said in a gentle voice, "Bronwyn, it's Syler. May I come in?"

Several long moments passed before he heard a soft, "Yes."

He cautiously opened the door and saw that the room's layout and amenities were almost identical to his. Bronwyn was sitting in a cushioned chair beside the bed while the two female servants stood patiently waiting for her command. He saw that she had also bathed and was in fresh clothes. She wore an off white tunic that she had wrapped around her thin body and her hair was still wet, but she left it down to flow to the middle of her back. Despite looking better without the smudges of dirt all over her, she didn't look exactly comfortable. Truth be told, Syler thought that she looked a little lost and overwhelmed, but he didn't say anything.

"How are you?" he asked.

She gave him a faint smile, but he knew her enough now to know that it wasn't genuine. "I feel better. The bath helped."

"That is good," he responded not knowing what else to say. He had been so eager to see her and talk to her for weeks now, but now that the time had come when he could, he was nervous and didn't know what to say.

"It has been a hard few weeks, hasn't it?"

She looked down and nodded.

"I hope you weren't hurting too much, I tried to keep you as comfortable as possible."

"I know," she said. She didn't speak for a little while and Syler didn't know what else to say. The two servants must have picked up on the awkwardness of the situation because they began to look nervous. Despite that, they stood dutifully at attention waiting to be called upon even though Syler didn't think they would know the Common Tongue any more than his two servants did.

Bronwyn looked up at the two servants and said something to them. They both bowed their heads and left without a word.

"You speak Kruish?" asked Syler with raised eyebrows.

"Kruish and Kuti are very similar languages," she explained in a dull, disinterested voice. "They are close enough for us to understand each other if we use simple words."

"Oh," he said. He hadn't known there was any connection between the Krue and Kuti beyond the fact that both of their names started with a "k." From what he had seen, the two cultures were so different that he didn't even see any similarities between them at all, but he didn't press subject. He would ask Lord Avenil about it later.

Even though the servants were gone, Bronwyn didn't say anything, but went back to staring at her feet. Something had changed in her from the last time they met and he didn't know what caused it. She seemed afraid of him. The entire situation reminded him somewhat of the first evening they had together back in Kubei and he had been afraid of saying something wrong. Syler didn't know what to do, so he just kept standing there in silence waiting for her to speak.

At last, she looked up at him and hesitantly asked, "Did you mean it?"

Syler furrowed his brow and said, "Mean what?"

"The part about loving me and wanting to spend the rest of your life with me."

Syler sagged in relief. "Yes, most definitely yes. I was a fool not to see it before, but when you were taken, it crushed me. I couldn't bear to live without you. The most important thing in my life at that point was getting you back." He paused, then added with a slight smile, "It was important enough for me that I even went to Growald for help."

There was another faint smile that graced her lips at the joke and Syler could tell that it was real this time. The smile faded and was replaced with a more serious face. "What about the rest?"

"What rest?"

"Syler Penion, I am a caetos kvastal," she said as though what she was implying should be obvious. "I can not only see visions of the future, but on rare occasions, I can see the dreams of those whom I am close to, of whom I love, if they feel the same for me. It is a rare bond, especially since so many caetos kvastals are feared. On our journey, while you slept next to me at night, I was able to see your dreams as though they were mine. They were the only thing that allowed me to be connected to the world of the living and kept me from going insane."

That was new. Syler hadn't had any idea she could do that as she had never mentioned it before. He felt his cheeks warming at the thought of her seeing certain dreams of his. "Umm," he said and cleared his throat. "Well, um, I guess I can explain. Er, well, they are dreams, Bronwyn, just dreams. I meant nothing by them."

"So you do not wish to take your sister, Havert, and Alltis, and I and just go away from everything and build houses for us to live in? You do not want to start a family with me and live in peace for the rest of our days? You do not love me then? Is that just words to you?" There was hurt in her voice that broke Syler's heart.

"No," he said quickly. "That wasn't what I was talking about."

She looked directly at him and asked, "Then what? What do you mean?"

"I do love you, Bronwyn. And yes, I do want to go away and live with our friends away from the Haresu and the wars. And yes, I would like to start a family with you and stay with you for the rest of our lives. I want to be your husband and not just someone who is pretending to be."

"I don't understand it. How could you ever love me now?" she asked. Her eyes didn't leave his face as she waited for his response.

"What do you mean? How couldn't I love you? You have been good to me and are a smart, caring woman who works hard and expects nothing in return. You tolerate me even when I don't deserve it and cared for me when I needed it. You could have rejected me from the first, but you didn't. Even when you knew I was planning on leaving Kubei, you wanted to go with me and leave behind your people and everything you knew. I know you loved me, even though I was stupid and didn't return it. On top of it all, you are a beautiful woman, more beautiful than any I have ever seen."

When it was clear he had finished, she surprised him by looking away and letting a tear fall down her cheek. "I betrayed you, Syler. I couldn't hold out when the Haresu were torturing me."

Syler almost sighed in frustration but held himself in check. Instead, he began slowly pacing around the room. He thought he had made it clear to her back in the storage yard in Kubei that he didn't hold it against her. "I told you, I don't think that is your fault."

"I-I, I am not worth your love," she muttered. "What you did to save me and how you cared for me, that is too much. I am not worthy of that. I know what you did and how you defied the Elements themselves on my behalf. I could have never done that. You stood strong when it counted, but I gave in. I am too weak for you."

Syler relaxed his shoulders and silently took a deep breath before responding, "That is nonsense, Bronwyn. I did that because I love you and don't want to live without you by my side."

"I am not worthy of that love," she repeated.

"Am I not able to determine who I think is worthy of my love?" Syler asked. "I may have been blind and foolish to not see it before, but I see it now. You, of all the women I have ever known, are the most worthy of my love, otherwise, I wouldn't have done what I did."

More tears fell down her cheeks, but she said nothing. Syler began to get the sense that there was something else that was eating away at her. He didn't quite know what it was, but he wanted to have it out now so they could get past it together. "What is it really, Bronwyn?" he said in a soothing voice. "What is making you so upset? Please, just tell me so I know how to make it better."

Again, she didn't respond, but he wasn't going to let her back out. "Bronwyn, you saw my dreams. my inner desires and hopes, and you know I love you. I don't know what it is that you think is so heinous that would change all of that, but I can't think of anything that would make me stop loving you. You could plunge a dagger into my heart right now and my last thought would be on how much I love you."

"Syler," she said at last. She looked at him with red eyes. "I wanted to keep myself just for you. I vowed that even if you were to love another woman and would never touch me, I would not give myself to another man. What those Haresu did to me in that cell…" she shuddered from the memory of it. "I was violated in every way. I am not pure any longer and am not worthy of you."

Syler was stunned. He stopped his pacing and just stood there for a few seconds trying to comprehend it all. He found himself walking over to where she sat and kneeling in front of her. "Bronwyn," he said quietly as he gently cupped her chin in both hands. "You didn't violate your vow. You didn't give yourself to those men, they forced themselves upon you. I know what they did to you and I don't care. You are not responsible for their brutality, they are. You have done nothing wrong."

She looked at him and replied, "You would have me even though I have been violated by many men?"

"Yes, Bronwyn, I would," Syler said without hesitation. "I love you and that is all that matters."

The sadness left her eyes and was replaced by some of what he saw when she first woke a few hours ago. They were still red from crying, but they held hope. "You are a good man, Syler. Better than I deserve."

"Nonsense, you are more than I deserve," he said. Gently, ever so gently, he guided her up out of the chair so they were both standing. He wrapped his arms around her in a warm embrace and began kissing her.

What started as a gentle kiss from him turned into something more meaningful as she returned it with surprisingly powerful desire. Bronwyn was stiff and hesitant at first, but eventually relaxed and put her arms around him. Her tears stopped and, in the brief moments between kisses that they just looked into each others eyes, he could see that her eyes were no longer filled with sorrow or worry. They kept holding each other and kissing as they slowly worked their way across the room to the soft bed.

Syler was the first to fall into it and pulled her down beside him. She let out a squeal of laughter and playfully punched his shoulder. With a laugh of his own, Syler tickled her side in revenge eliciting a brief struggle that ended with him on top of her. The tension and uncertainty between them was gone and they melted into each other's arms and let their passions consume them.

All caught up.

I think you could probably expand this last post. It's well written and I like the way you handled very sensitive subjects (ie her having been raped), but it felt shorter then it could have been.

Very tasteful fade to black though, and the descriptions of the rooms are good, I can picture them in my head.

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

What would you want expanded? I mean, I guess I could go into more detail and whatnot, but I try to keep extraneous stuff out or I would ramble for pages and go nowhere. Is there a particular area that you would like to see expanded (other than the sex scene )?

A note though, perhaps you should read this next part. It does go into a little more of it, especially from Bronwyn's side. Perhaps that may fill in the gaps that you feel are missing. If they don't, then talk to me and I will see about focusing in on a few areas.

Chapter 19

Our ways are sometimes called harsh or brutal by outsiders. We would disagree. Our ways are necessary to remain strong and to ensure that we remain true to our purpose.

— Lord Avenil Saekoris

Village of Thwrud

Krue Territory

As Bronwyn lay with her head on her husband's bare chest, she couldn't help but think how much the Spirits had blessed her. Just hours ago, she was standing at the gateway to Nornesu, the Land of the Ancestors. She was so close to death that she could almost hear the voices of her mother and father calling out to her. Despite that, Syler had refused to let her die. He had visited the spiritual realm and bargained with his gods for her very soul. More surprising than that feat was the fact that his Elements had listened and bargained with the Spirits to release her from death.

She had woken from her long, tormented nightmare to see his handsome face looking down at her with love like she had never seen him show her. When she had seen him there and realized that he had healed her completely of the terrible pains wrought upon her, she had known that he truly loved her and would do anything to save her. Only in stories told to children did lovers travel to the spiritual realm to reclaim the souls of their loved one. She had never expected something like that to happen to her.

She had spent most of the time in the Krue lord's longhouse trying to catch up on what was going on and soak in the flood of new knowledge that came with it. She had woken up to a world that was completely unlike what she had been in while among her own kind. Not only that, but she found out that Syler was able to wield magic and was someone of importance beyond the blacksmith she had fallen in love with. It was a lot to take in, and not the least because she could understand what the Krue were saying. Syler meant more to them than they had told him and she didn't know what that meant.

Then, as the excitement of the moment faded, she was forced to face the past. She had been in the middle of her bath when the fairy tale came crashing down upon her. Syler was gone and she was alone to deal with her fears and the knowledge of what had been done to her in that dark, dreadful cell. The pain, the humiliation, and the terror came upon her. The servants had not known what to make of her sudden cry of anguish, but they were well trained and would have ignored it all day unless she addressed them about it.

They stoically helped her finish her bath and dry herself. She was able to find something to wear, but had been consumed by her dark thoughts until Syler arrived. She refused to allow herself to ever hope that he would ever truly love her now that the moment of excitement they shared in the longhouse had passed and reality had set in upon him. In her mind, if it would hit her, it would do the same to him as soon as he was able to think.

Never before had she been so glad to be wrong.

He didn't care what happened in that cell and loved her regardless. He cast aside her arguments and concerns with the same drive that caused him to abandon reason and challenge the spirits themselves. In the end, he loved her in spite of herself and refused to let her buckle.

She now was resting comfortably and in peace after so long of yearning for it. She had not known that such joy and pleasure could be found until she was in his arms making love to him. More than just the sheer passion, she was content for the first time since her father was killed and her mother threw herself upon his pyre in grief. She had turned down suitors from other villages before because she was afraid they would hate her for what she was. Nobody from her own village who knew what she was would dare pursue her, so she resigned herself to a life alone. Then, Syler came into her life and things changed. He accepted her as first a friend, then a partner, and now, finally, as a wife and she couldn't be more thrilled.

Now that the heavy burden of potential rejection had been lifted, she had to admit that she had not felt better in recent memory. Whatever Syler had done, it had left her not just healed, but revitalized. While they were making love, she noticed that he had healed not only the injuries that she had sustained while being tortured, but all of her injuries, past and present. Scars she had had since childhood had vanished and she felt no pain from her right ankle where she had stumbled and twisted it as a child. It was just one more wonder in her life that she welcomed and treasured.

"So, now what should we do?" Syler asked after he had recovered from their recent activities. He was lying flat on his back while she was laying crosswise facing him with her head resting on his muscular chest.

She merely looked at his face and smiled, "I don't care as long as we stay together."

"Bronwyn," he said with complete seriousness, "I wouldn't let the Elements themselves take you from me."

She knew that was as true a statement as had ever been uttered by man. She smiled and ran the fingers of her free hand across his jaw. "I wouldn't mind staying here for a few more days, or maybe longer."

"I would like that," Syler said. His hand gently cupped her bare breast and she let out a sigh of contentment.

"You really shouldn't have come into here, though," she said in a lighthearted tone.

He frowned and asked, "Why not? Don't you want me here?"

"Of course I do, but from what I know of the Krue, they are pretty firm on not allowing males into the women's section and the same for women in the male's section. I don't know how you convinced them to let you in."

Syler shrugged, "Oh well. I demanded to see you and wouldn't take no for an answer. Maybe they are afraid of me."

She considered that and decided that while that might be part of it, it wasn't all of it. The Krue were fierce warriors and even their servants didn't back down from conflict. "I don't know, Syler. There is something going on with them, you should be careful."

His brow furrowed in concern and his voice lowered a bit, "What do you mean? Do you think they mean us harm?"

"No, I don't think so," she assured him. "It is something about this whole Majiyae Oretezu thing. It means a lot to them. Krue lords do not give their hospitality lightly. They usually require a great service to be done for their people before granting it, especially for foreigners."

"You seem to know a lot about the Krue."

"I know a little," she admitted. "My clan traded with them in the past, so I know a little of their ways."

"That is more than I know. Most of the dealings my village had with foreigners involved fighting off the Sua. We had some peace with the Kosh to the south, but sometimes there was tension and fighting with them too." He reached around her shoulders and held her tightly against him for a moment, then said, "But enough of this talk. I hope to go after Karusa as soon as Havert and Alltis arrive."

"What if the Krue won't let you? They seem to think you are someone important and I don't think they will simply let you leave."

Syler clenched his jaw in a look that told her that he wasn't going to budge from his position. "Let them try to stop me. They will have to kill me and I don't think they want to do that."

"Just be careful, please. Prophecy is not something to be taken lightly. Neither are the Krue."

He relaxed his jaw and smiled at her, "Of course I will, but I will also go find my sister. If they want to watch over me while I do that, I would welcome some of their warriors, but I am going even if I have to search every town and village in Sua."

There was nothing Bronwyn could do to dissuade him even if she had wanted to. She only hoped that the Krue wouldn't try to stop him. She would go wherever he led, that much she knew. Deep down, she worried that their days of peace and stability were gone. Whether they ever came back was something she couldn't guess.

For the time being, though, she planned on enjoying him as much as possible. She began kissing his chest and was rewarded by a groan of pleasure deep within his throat. He tenderly stroked her stomach and thighs. She got up on top of him and began kissing his mouth when they heard a knock on the door.

With a moan of frustration, Syler broke their kiss and said, "What?"

There was a pause, then a female voice said, "Your companions have arrived."

Syler and Bronwyn looked at each other in surprise and excitement, then simultaneously began grabbing for their clothes. As much as they wanted to be with each other, they both wanted to see their friends and let them know that everything was alright. Once they were dressed, they left the room and were summarily escorted out of the estate. Syler ignored the strange looks he received from the all female staff in the women's section. They were met by a Krue warrior with striking red war paint splattered over his face with only the outline of a hand left bare as though someone placed their hand on his face while splattering the paint on it. Though, after a second look, Syler hoped it was just red paint.

"I am Delmonor Grelad," he said in a thick accent. "Follow me to where your companions are being held."

Syler's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "'Held?' Are they prisoners?"

Delmonor bowed his head, "Forgive me, I misspoke. Your tongue is difficult to remember. They are waiting for you to arrive."

Syler nodded and gestured to him to lead the way. The towering warrior took them through the streets to the edge of town where those who had been left at the edge of the forest were waiting. Their horses looked oddly out of place against the larger and more majestic hasuan of the Krue. They must have been traveling as fast as they could because their horses were still covered in sweat and breathing heavily even still.

Syler saw a familiar mop of messy red hair and called out, "Havert!" as he ran to greet his friend. He had forgiven Havert of all of their differences while they had been fleeing from the Shalktra and hoped he would get the time to amend their friendship now.

Havert turned around just in time to brace for Syler's fierce hug. "Whoa—" he said before the air was squeezed out of his lungs.

"Syler," Lamastus said. "It is good to see you, but what about Bron. . ."

Syler let go of Havert in time to see the Angvardi staring with slack jaw at the fully healed Bronwyn standing shyly behind her husband. He laughed and said, "She is better now, as you can see."

"The Krue healed her?" Alltis asked. Her eyes were wide as she stared at Bronwyn.

"Not exactly, but it is a long story. All you need to know is that she is fully recovered." Syler didn't feel like going into everything at this point, especially not in front of Growald and his men.

"It is good to see you back on your feet," Alltis said as she wrapped Bronwyn up in a hug. "We were really worried about you."

Bronwyn's blush deepened but she said, "Thank you, I have a few memories of that time, enough to know you were truly kind to me. I won't forget that."

Havert had apparently recovered from Syler's hug because he said, "Good to see ya too, go easy on me please."

"I am just glad to see you," replied Syler with a giant smile on his face.

"I see you figured everything out," a familiar, gruff voice said.

Syler turned to see Growald looking at the four of them with self satisfaction. "I told you that coming here would be the only way to cure the girl," Growald said.

"Yes," replied Syler, "but it wasn't how you think it was."

The other man crossed his burly arms across his chest and said, "Truly? You mean that you didn't figure out that not only do you have the ability to repulse magical spells used against you, but also to purge them in others? Or were you referring to your ability to reverse the effect of spells with which you were able to heal the Kuti?"

Syler's jaw dropped a little and his face reddened. "You knew! The whole time, you knew that I could have helped her from the start?"

With a smirk, Growald said, "Of course I knew, that is part of my job, boy."

"Then why didn't you tell me!" shouted Syler.

"Because I was forbidden to do so," he said frankly with a shrug.

Syler gaped at the man as he struggled not to charge over and hit him. Bronwyn reached over and took hold of his arm. "Syler, fighting won't do any good here."

He nodded and took a deep breath and addressed Growald in a level voice, "By whom?"

"By individuals far more powerful than you," snapped Growald.

"So you knew all along who I was and what I could do?"

The smug look returned to his face. "Yes, from the first time I met you in Kubei, I knew exactly who you were. That is why I goaded you into a fight, see?"

With a frown, Syler said, "No, I don't."

Growald rolled his eyes and said, "Don't you remember what happened to you when you were nearly beaten? You found a second wind, a new source of energy that gave you strength and power while healing you in the process."

"You knew about that?"

"Of course, that is why I didn't just knock you out in the first ten seconds. You had to learn, you had to discover it on your own. Miss Vekla there knows what I am talking about, don't you dearie?"

Syler hadn't seen the sorceress approach, but when he looked back, she was standing a few yards behind him listening in on the conversation. She was currently staring daggers at Growald, but she did nod in affirmation. "We call it the casor eka vaeltinin, the fury for another. Prophecy says that should you be fighting to protect another who is innocent, you have the ability to call upon a holy strength fueled by your fury. It heals your body and gives you great stamina and strength, but it comes at a cost. When your last foe is defeated, the strength leaves you and you are left weak and drained. It could leave you merely exhausted or it could cause you to black out. The more you learn to use and control it, the less drained you will be after."

Syler thought back to his fight with Growald and a lot of things made sense. He supposed that was the odd red and white haze that clouded his vision. It didn't make much sense to him at the time, but then, he had never been experienced with magic and had no idea what those who did felt or saw as they cast spells. It also explained why, after cleaning up all the mud and blood off of his body, Bronwyn found no injuries.

Despite answering several questions he had been harboring, this information gave rise to new questions. "So," he asked Growald, "if you knew who I was, why did you do that? What was the point of beating me near to death and insulting Bronwyn in front of our friends? Why couldn't you just tell me what Vekla did?"

"Because, boy, it wasn't my purpose. I am here to guard you and make sure you don't get yourself killed, not to explain everything to you. I took some liberties in doing what I did back in Kubei, but I dare say it was worth it. Wouldn't you, girl?"

The last part was directed to Bronwyn, but she only blinked and said, "I don't know what you are talking about. What you did to him was cruel and unnecessary, even if he was healed of the injuries after."

"I will spell it out for you," he replied. "If I hadn't shown him what he could do, he wouldn't have been able to save your life. Do you follow me there, boy?"

Syler considered the man's words as calmly as he could. It was true, had he now known that by giving into the red that he would eventually touch upon some form of power and strength, he might not have been able to summon the energy needed to summon Suella. As he thought about it more, it almost made sense in a perverted sort of way that in fighting against Growald, he had learned something that had allowed him to save his beloved's life. He still wasn't happy in giving the brute credit, but he did manage to say, "You could have just told me afterwards what you had done."

Growald crackled in amusement. "Where is the fun in that? Besides, it wouldn't have done you any good until you came into your other powers and had proof that even a stubborn guy like you couldn't ignore. And, ask yourself this: would you have believed me if I told you that you were some sort of hero destined to either save or destroy this world?"

"No," admitted Syler. "I wouldn't have. I would have probably tried to beat your face in."

"See there? Ole Growald knew what he was doing."

"Don't push it. I still don't like you one bit."

"That just breaks me heart," said Growald though he didn't seem to devastated about it.

Vekla stepped forward and said, "It is time, Syler Penion of Sandrin."

"Time for what?" asked Alltis.

Syler shrugged, "Apparently, I have to undergo some sort of confirmation ceremony or something that the local lord feels is necessary."

"It is," shot Vekla. "It has been written for centuries and so it must come to pass."

"What if it doesn't?" Syler asked. "I mean, it might be in prophecy, but what if I refuse to undergo it?"

She looked at him with an expression so fierce that he took a step back. "Then you are not the Majiyae Oretezu and we will treat you as we do all invaders into our territory."

Syler gulped, "That is a very good point. Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you, I was just curious."

"Syler, I think now would be a good time to be quiet," Bronwyn said.

Two great updates! Loved them. Really loved them. And I'm so glad to see Bronwyn back fully functional again!

Major props to you for the conversation in the previous update. You nailed Bronwyn very well, especially when her talking about how she doesn't feel like she deserves to be loved. That is certainly something many, many women can relate to.

I only saw one grammatical thing, and that was in the first of these two.

Even with an extra pair, to alternate in,

You don't need the second comma there.

Looking forward to more!

amipaint2.jpg

You nailed Bronwyn very well

Wait, what do you know about her that I don't know? Orly.gif

I am glad that that scene went over well. I was kinda worried about it. I know I said that the two of them weren't going to actually have sex, but over time, I just didn't see that as working out. The way the characters sort of flowed together, I couldn't have them NOT fall in love. I had always intended on her loving him, but then, I kinda just thought "dang, how can he NOT love her after what she is willing to do and sacrifice for him?"

Anyway, on to the next part. Here, Syler learns a few very important things, some good and some bad. He also gets to fully realize how his powers work and even adds a new ability to his repertoire.

"Syler, I think now would be a good time to be quiet," Bronwyn said.

He agreed and shut his mouth. With Vekla and Dalmonor leading the way, the rest of them followed silently. Syler would have liked a chance to better catch up with his friends, but after seeing the somber look on Vekla's face, he didn't dare ask for more time. Whatever this ceremony entailed, they took it extremely seriously.

The group was led to an open area on the edge of town. Trees had been cleared to provide some sort of gathering place that seemed to have received a good deal of use in the past. There were planks of wood surrounding the clearing that served as benches for the hundreds of Krue that had gathered. They talked quietly among themselves, but seemed to be waiting his arrival with rapt anticipation.

Before he was allowed to go forward, Dalmonor picked up a set of Kruish leather armor and gave it to Syler. "Put this on. I will help you."

Syler was familiar enough with armor that he didn't need much help with anything except the back straps. The armor was lighter than he expected it to be, though he was more used to mail shirts when he was drilling for the militia in Sandrin. The leather offered an excellent range of motion and was far more comfortable than the armor he had worn before.

When the armor was on, Vekla gestured with her chin for him to go out. Syler wasn't a fan of crowds, but he knew that if he faltered, his hosts would likely take offense and that wouldn't be good. He tried to conceal his nervousness as the crowds grew silent when he emerged. Ignoring the hundreds of sets of eyes that were following his every move was difficult, but the armor concealed the sweat that was forming beneath his shirt.

Lord Avenil was waiting for him in the middle. He too was dressed in leather armor, though he had a helmet. When Syler got within ten paces, he motioned for him to stop and addressed the crowd in Kruish. After he gave a small speech, he looked at Syler and said, "If you are truly the Majiyae Oretezu, you will defeat me in combat."

"In combat?" Syler said as his eyes grew wide.

"Yes, to confirm who you truly are, you must kill me in fair combat."

"Wait, kill you? Why would I want to do that?"

"It is my purpose as the Ulai Fequil. Make no mistake, I will do my best to kill you because, should I not try my best and am slain by one who is not the Majiyae Oretezu, then I would have doomed my people to destruction." Syler didn't detect any regret in the old man's voice.

"So you want me to kill you just so I can prove that I am some sort of savior for your people? That makes no sense!"

"It makes perfect sense, Syler Penion of Sandrin. The strong must lead and to do that, they must replace the old and weak. If you are able to kill me, then you have proven that you are stronger than I. You would have shown that you are indeed the Magic Master. It has been written and it must be this way. I have no more choice in the matter than you do."

Syler shook his head, "No, I am not going to kill you simply because of some old books."

Sadness touched Avenil's face and he said, "Then I must force your hand." He said something in Kruish and pointed behind Syler.

When Syler turned, he saw that Vekla had a knife at Bronwyn's throat. Other Krue warriors had the rest of his friends and even Growald and his men in the same position. Syler's heart skipped a beat when he realized what was coming next.

"I am sorry, Syler Penion of Sandrin, but if you do not kill me, they will die."

Syler turned back around to face the Krue lord with a look of abject loathing on his face. He knew without a doubt that Avenil was serious and that if he didn't prevail, all of them would die. He really didn't want to kill this man, but if they were going to threaten his wife and friends, then he had no choice but to comply. Right now, there was a hatred rising in his veins for this man who would force him to kill simply for prophecy when he had no quarrel with any of them.

"Very well," he said through clenched teeth. "What are we fighting with?" He didn't see any swords or weapons on Avenil's belt and he didn't have any himself.

"Magic," came the reply. There was no warning for what came next. Avenil took a step back and then hurled a deep purple lightning bolt a Syler's chest.

Syler flinched but didn't have time to get away from it, though he needn't bother. The bolt landed squarely in his chest but just vanished as though it was nothing but an illusion. He started to take a few steps back himself to get a little distance between himself and his attacker. He had no idea what to do because he had no idea how to wield magic.

Avenil followed his first strike with fire that streamed from his hands and covered Syler. As with when Vekla tried to burn Lamastus, the flames had no effect upon him, not even to the point of giving him warmth. It did, however, keep him from seeing the next attack.

Dirt and leaves hurled past him as Avenil summoned powerful winds. Syler could feel the leaves brushing against him, but he couldn't feel any of the wind driving them. It was the strangest sensation to have things blown in his face but not be able to feel the wind itself. Syler used his arms to block the incoming debris as he struggled to figure out what to do next.

Avenil next tried some sort of spell that glowed green, but failed to find a purchase on his target. When that spell was over, he switched to a bright ball of pure energy that coalesced in his palms for a few seconds before being hurled at him. Syler saw that one coming and dodged the attack. The orb flew past him and dissipated against an invisible shield surrounding the arena that Syler had not known was there.

The fight was going nowhere fast as Avenil continued to pummel Syler with spells that caused him no harm. The ground was scorched around him, but not a hair on his head had been burned by any of the great amounts of energy being hurled at him. After a few minutes of this, Syler was genuinely confused as how to progress. Avenil clearly couldn't hurt him with his spells, but he had no idea how to use spells of his own to counter. Avenil had made it clear that this battle was one of magic against magic, so he assumed that were he to try to simply tackle the older man to the ground and beat him with his fists, they would cry foul.

Avenil realized what was going through Syler's mind because, between bouts of lightning, he said, "Focus on my spells. Feel their magic as it is turned upon you. Remember what you can do with spells and turn their power upon me."

Syler had to endure two more fireballs and a burst of some sort of odd energy that surrounded him wherever he moved before he could figure out what his opponent had said. He couldn't use spells himself because he didn't know how, but he did know how to take them within himself without harm and mold them to his will. That was how he had saved Bronwyn. He had taken the curse that was leaving her in pain and unable to heal, then turned it inside out to heal the very wounds that it had caused and sustained. Having that knowledge was good, but Syler had no idea how to implement it.

Avenil continued to attack him with various spells that no doubt would have been instantly lethal to any normal man, but they had no effect on him. Despite that, the old man continued to unleash his magic against him. There had to be a reason for that. Syler didn't think that Avenil was foolish. Rather, the lord was quite wise and knowledgeable, so Syler had to believe that he knew what he was doing.

Syler was forced to close his eyes as a particularly bright flash of energy enveloped him, and that was when he saw it. It was a brief flash at first, probably more of a memory than anything he actually saw, but it was enough. Once he was not relying on his sense of vision to guide him, he was able to use his mind to see. His mind, for the briefest of moments, saw the spell as something more than just energy. It was a chain leading from him back to its caster.

Syler kept his eyes closed and focused on the part of him that had helped cure Bronwyn. When Avenil's next spell hit, he saw the string of magic once again connecting between the two of them. Two more spells later, and he had a new idea. The next spell that Avenil used was a fireball. Syler let it hit him and instead of simply observing the spell's trail, he took hold of it mentally. It took just a split second, but in that briefest of times, he took control of the spell itself from Avenil and directed it.

Syler didn't know what to do with the spell now that he controlled it, so the flames merely shot up into the sky where it impacted the shield that was around them. He opened his eyes in surprise and saw that Avenil had paused his attacks. There was a small smile in the corner of the man's mouth and a look of satisfaction on his face. He pulled his hands back and prepared another spell to send at his opponent.

When it came, Syler was ready for it. As the lightning bolt arched between the two of them and impacted his shoulder, he took control of it. Avenil cut off the spell from his end, but it was too late. Sparks flickered around Syler's hands as he formed his own spell. Just as he had seen numerous mages do, he pushed his hands forward as though he was going to hit a man with the heel of his palm and released the spell he had captured.

A bolt of lightning shot from his palm and hit Avenil in the chest. Avenil didn't even have a chance to cry out in pain before his armor flash burned away and his chest all but exploded. His body wasn't quite cut in two, but it was still a gruesome sight as it hit the ground.

There was silence in the arena and nobody reacted.

Syler turned to look at Bronwyn and the others with anger clear on his face. He hadn't wanted to kill Avenil, but he had no choice. His anger was directed at both the old man and all of these Krue who had it in their heads that one of the two of them had to die for their crazy prophecy.

Vekla released his wife and sheathed her knife. She walked into the arena and stopped just in front of him. She looked briefly at the body of Avenil as it lay still smoldering, then at Syler. To his surprise, she went down on a single knee and bowed her head. "I, Vekla Saekoris, pledge myself to you, Syler Penion of Sandrin, Majiyae Oretezu, Lord of Clan Thwrud. I will follow your commands and serve you until my death or your honorable succession."

Syler didn't know what to say, he was in shock. Around him, hundreds of Krue fell to their knees and bowed their heads. Something about this wasn't right, not right at all. He wasn't quite sure what was going on, but he had a sinking feeling that he had just stepped into something that he didn't want any part of.

"What are you doing?" he asked quietly.

Vekla looked up and blinked in confusion. "I am pledging my loyalty to you as our rightful Lord."

"Why? I am not your lord or anything. I am not even Krue."

She looked stricken and glanced around her at the kneeling Krue. "You defeated Lord Avenil in honorable combat and have taken his place as our lord. I and everyone in this clan are yours to command."

It was what he had feared. "No, I don't want any of this, I just want to live in peace."

"You are our lord, you are to lead us in the upcoming war."

Syler shook his head, "No, I am going to find my sister and then she and my friends will go away to live in peace away from the Angvardi and the Shalktra and anyone else who wants to fight and kill each other. I am done with the Easterners and fighting and killing."

Vekla didn't seem to know what to say, so she bowed her head and stared at the ground. "As you wish," she muttered.

"No, it is not 'as I wish.' I didn't want this nor did I want to kill a man who clearly had no chance against me. It was suicide, plain and simple because he couldn't touch me with his magic." The others, no free of their temporary Krue captors, were talking out to where the middle of the arena even as Syler continued.

He looked up at the gathered Krue and started yelling for all of them to hear. "Is this what you wanted!" He pointed at Avenil's body. "Was it really necessary for this man to die? I had no quarrel with him nor he with me. This was pointless, a complete waste of life. You want to live by prophecy and see innocent men die, then fine, but leave me out of it. I am done, finished. I won't have any more a part of this."

"That…wasn't…part…of our deal, Syler," a haunting voice said into his ear. Syler jumped, but when he turned, there was nobody there. He looked back to where Vekla had been, but she was gone. The world rippled as though it were nothing but a mirage. When it settled, the arena had vanished, as had his friends. Syler saw Crusos standing in front of him giving him a cunning smile full of malice. At his feet, a battered and bruised Bronwyn lay naked and covered in blood.

"We made a deal, Syler Penion, and I expect you to carry it out," the Element hissed.

"What deal?" Syler demanded. He wasn't sure if this were real or not, but if it was, he would not rest until he had revenge against the conniving Element.

"I spared her soul in return for your service to the Elements. It cost me a great deal to acquire her soul from the Spirits, I intend to get my value's worth from you."

"You are wrong," said Syler. "The deal was only that you save her or I would die moments after she did. Nothing was mentioned about serving you."

"That is not what was recorded in the Sacred Scrolls, Syler. Bronwyn's soul is mine to do with as I please. It pleases me for you to serve the Elements, and so you shall or I will take her soul and banish it to suffer eternal torment." There was not a hint of remorse in Crusos' voice. Instead, he seemed to be extremely pleased with himself.

As he said that, he reached down and into Bronwyn's chest. He made a fist and began to pull. Bronwyn's body didn't react, but a spectral version of her that was being pulled out by the Element cried out in pain and pure anguish.

"Stop!" Syler yelled.

"You will serve the Elements then?" asked Crusos.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Power will be given to you among mortals, accept it and use it. Battles and wars will be fought, wage them and win them. Do not resist prophecy and when the time comes, heed my call. Do that and I will spare Bronwyn."

Syler looked down at the battered nightmarish version of Bronwyn and back up to the grinning Element. Though he knew he would curse himself for it, he said, "Very well. I will do as you ask."

Victory flashed in Crusos' eyes and he released Bronwyn's soul. "Pleasure dealing with you, Syler Penion." He snapped once and the horror vanished.

"My lord?" Vekla said quizzically. Syler was once again in the arena and every eye was upon him.

He paused and realized that Crusos was gone and that only he had seen what had transpired moments ago. As he collected himself, Bronwyn and his other friends reached him and were looking at him as though he would fall over at any moment.

"Are you okay?" Bronwyn asked quietly. "Could one of those spells be affecting you?"

"Um, no, I am okay," he said, though he didn't convince even himself. He looked down at Vekla and said, "Get up, there is no need for you to be on the ground."

The sorceress slowly rose, but didn't look sure of herself. "What do you wish us to do?"

"I want to be taken somewhere where I can think all of this over. My friends need to rest as well. They are to be tended to and given every courtesy, even Growald and his men."

Vekla nodded and said, "They shall be taken to your estate at once."

"My estate?" asked Syler.

"You are the Lord of Thwrud, Lord Avenil's estate and all he possessed is now yours," Vekla replied.

Syler could only shake his head in disgust and disbelief. "Then take us there."

As they were walking out, Bronwyn fell in beside him. In a low voice, she asked, "Syler, did you hear what she said when she pledged her loyalty to you?"

"Yea, I did."

"And you aren't letting her tend to her father?" she asked incredulously.

Syler looked over and asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Her name, Syler. She is a Saekoris, the same as Lord Avenil. He was her father."

Syler paled. Now that she had mentioned it, he did remember that something was familiar about the sorceress' name. He had been too angry and overwhelmed to notice what Bronwyn had.

"Um, Vekla," he said in a louder voice, "I think Delmonor can take us back to the estate. Lord Avenil was an honorable man who did what he thought was best for his people even at the expense of his own life. See to it that he is treated with all the proper honors a man of his station deserves. Take as long as you need." She looked as though she were going to argue, so he added, "Consider that a command from your lord."

She bowed and retreated away to tend to her father's rites. Syler spent the rest of their journey to Avenil's old estate trying not to be sick. The revelation that Vekla's father had been the very man he just killed was the final bit of shock needed to push him over the edge. He was furious at the Krue for making him kill that man for no good reason. That and his fear over Crusos' threats only further increased his agitation. This was a wild day that simply had too much happen for him to grasp it all. He hoped that he would get a few days to rest and soak it all in before some other major disaster happened.

Ill be honest, that wasn't what I was expecting. I didn't think it would be to the death. I was expecting to submission. But then I guess that wouldn't work in a magical duel like this?

Nicely done anyway. I like that Bronwyn made sure That Avenil was looked after, but Im disappointed in Syler for not thinking of it himself.

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png

Well now, be honest here. Did YOU pick up the fact that Vekla and Avenil shared the same last name before Bronwyn mentioned it? Even if you did, Syler had quite a bit on his mind, not the least of which was the fact that he just killed a man who was not his enemy and found out that a sadistic, scheming Element now had complete control over his love's soul.

I certainly hadn't made the connection between them. I think it was fine, and it shows Bronwyn's perceptivity.

I liked this section, but I have to say I was really confused by something. Why doesn't Syler just try to heal Avenil? I mean, he pulled Bronwyn from the brink of death. There might have been something he could do for Avenil. And even if not, given his anger and remorse at having to kill him, I'd think he'd at least try. Even if he knew deep down that nothing could be done. I mean, he doesn't even know the full extent of his own powers. You might want to address why he doesn't even try, because I feel like he would.

Otherwise, good chapter. I can imagine all the great special effects.

amipaint2.jpg

Well now, be honest here. Did YOU pick up the fact that Vekla and Avenil shared the same last name before Bronwyn mentioned it?

Holy crap, WHOLE NEW DIMENSIONS. Good chapter Travis, guess I will have to start from the very beginning so I know whats going on.

delta.png.07cab12ec6078bf5996b620866fba993.png

Ca'Aran

I certainly hadn't made the connection between them. I think it was fine, and it shows Bronwyn's perceptivity.

That was my intent.

Why doesn't Syler just try to heal Avenil?

Well, when someone is almost blown in half, there isn't much that can be done. He was clearly dead before his body hit the floor. Plus, remember that the Krue had told him that it was a battle to the death, so if he didn't kill Avenil, they would kill Bronwyn and his friends. Syler was quite pissed at it.

Tim, glad you could read a bit of it! Yes, you need to start from the beginning or you will be lost. I hope you can, I would love to have your opinion on stuff.

Chapter 20

The Krue may appear to be a single, united race, but they are not. The Krue are actually a collection of smaller fiefdoms ruled by various lords. They cooperate together to protect their lands from outsiders, but beyond that, there is often great rivalry between the different clans. Each lord has great control over his or her clan's lands, but are also responsible for protecting them from other clans.

— The Krue: A Valiant Race by Terl Fongalto

Penion Estate

Village of Thwrud

Krue Territory

There would be no rest for Syler that night. By the time they got back to Lord Avenil's estate and settled down, it was late. Much to his displeasure, the Krue servants had now rechristened the giant log cabin as the Penion Estate. He had tried to protest, but they didn't seem to be able to understand him or even care at that point. At last, the only thing he could get from them was that it would be disrespectful to tradition not to have his name on the estate as all previous lords had done so.

Even though it meant nothing to him, he had apparently come into possession of a great deal of power instantly. His saledaur, Torrvel, the overseer of the servants, proudly informed him of all that came with the estate. Syler recognized him as the man who came to translate when he wanted to see Bronwyn earlier this afternoon. Torrvel told explained that he now had eight female servants, five male servants, and four permanently stationed guards. His estate had six guest rooms an armory, a dining room, a feast hall, a small library, an expansive cellar, a kitchen, quarters for the servants and guards, and most importantly, stables for up to fifteen hasuan. For Syler who had never lived in a house with more than four rooms, this was a place beyond all of his dreams and expectations.

And yet, he hated it. Even as the nervous and excited servants showed him around, he only wanted to get out of here. He was furious at the Krue for their ridiculous customs. He had been forced to kill a man for no good reason at all, all because of their tradition and because of some words written by an old man centuries ago. All he had ever wanted was to be a simple blacksmith, to earn his wages by the sweat of his brow and the strength of his muscles. It was good, worthy work. It was honest work. All of this, according to Torrvel, was paid for by taxes imposed upon the people of Thwrud and its surrounding farmsteads and hamlets.

Had it been up to him, he would have rejected this all without second thought, but it wasn't. Crusos' warning about what he would do should he not embrace all of this was still very fresh on his mind. He didn't know what the devious Element had in mind, but from what he had been told, it probably involved a lot of bloodshed and violence. Syler wasn't a leader, he didn't want to send men into battle to die or be responsible for the lives of the people in Clan Thwrud. He wasn't even Krue, and now he was supposed to lead them. They had altogether too much faith in prophecy if they were going to trust him to be their leader.

When all of his guests—including Growald's men—had been given rooms and food, Syler retired to the expansive lord's chambers. If the guest room that he had been shown to were luxurious by his standards, this room was nothing short of opulent to the point of almost being profane. Before, he had been intrigued and almost in awe of what had been presented, but now he despised it.

Though Bronwyn had been willing, he was in no mood for making love. She curled up next to him and fell asleep, but he stared at the ceiling the entire night without getting any sleep. The rising of the sun brought with it servants fawning over him in a way that severely annoyed him. He lost his temper and banished any servant from the chambers whenever he was present. He knew it wasn't the best way to start things out, but the lack of sleep had only worsened his already foul mood.

At Bronwyn's insistence, he did join Havert, Alltis, and Lamastus for breakfast in the dining room. Growald and some of his men had also been up, but he ordered the servants to feed them in the feast hall because he didn't think he could stomach the gruff Seinari. The food was good, very good. Unlike among the Kuti where they relied heavily upon pork and mutton, the Krue had a variety of wild fowl, beef, and venison available to them. Despite his emotional turmoil, Syler couldn't resist the good food and ate a hearty meal.

When they were finished, he informed them of the decision he had made over the night. "I plan on going after my sister. Growald says that all of the women from Sandrin were taken to the Sua, so that is where I will start. I know she isn't your sister and you owe me nothing. If you wish, I will make this cursed estate open to you for as long as you wish to stay. If you want to live here permanently, I would have no issues with it. If you want to move away and try to go west, I hope that one day I would be able to meet up with you."

"I am going with you," Bronwyn said without hesitation. "After what you have done for me, I couldn't say no even if I didn't already love you."

"I didn't risk my life and throw everything away just to leave you now, " Lamastus said. "Besides," he added with a smile, "without me to watch your back, you wouldn't last two days."

"Thanks," replied Syler dryly. He was glad to have his friend along because he would know more about the Angvardi patrols and customs than anyone else.

Havert looked at Alltis for a few moments, then nodded to her. "Syler, ya know I see ya as my best friend, but I have a wife and a family now. Alltis is, er, expecting, and while she has a ways to go, I don't want to endanger her and I don't want to leave her husbandless."

Syler nodded. "I understand, Havert. I really do. Stay here with Alltis, you will be safe. These Krue are nearly obsessed with the notion that I am their supreme lord or something, so I think if I leave orders that you are to be treated with the utmost respect, they will abide by them and guard you with their lives."

"We would like that. Right now, this is probably the safest place for us for as long as the Haresu control Sei and the Kuti lands."

"Thank you, Syler," said Alltis. "I wish we could come with you, but it is dangerous."

"I don't blame you, Alltis. If Bronwyn were with child, I would probably insist that she remain behind. You have both done more for us than was required by our friendship. One day, I hope to repay you."

"You let us stay here and tha' do it," Havert said as he looked around at the ornately decorated room they were in.

"Okay," said Syler as he chuckled.

"What are you going to do after you find her?" Alltis asked.

Syler shrugged, trying to look nonchalant even though he was anything but. He was well aware of what Crusos had told him and knew that no matter what he wanted, he would have to return. "We will probably come back here. It is safe from the Easterners and there is a lot I could learn here. I am not sure, though. It might be that we decide to go west to where nobody would ever find us."

Lamastus finished chewing a piece of venison and asked, "When do you want to leave?"

"Tomorrow. I want us to get a nice, long rest today before we set out. I also hope that we can somehow find a way to use some of the hasuan that are in the stables. I am not sure if the Krue would let us ride them, but it would definitely be handy to take advantage of their speed, stamina, and ability to intimidate. It may draw attention to us, but we would be able to outrun any pursuit with ease."

"I don't know, Syler," said Bronwyn. "The Krue highly value their hasuan and have some strange rules about them."

"I am their lord now," replied Syler without any happiness. "That should count for something."

Later that afternoon, Syler found himself in the stables arguing with Torrvel about using the fabled. The overseer had been insisting that he couldn't ride them without being confirmed by the elders. Syler was growing more and more frustrated as the argument went on, but the stout little man refused to budge even when faced with his new lord.

Syler was coming up with a plan in his head to make off with the hasuan in the night when he heard a commotion outside in the yard. He didn't even have time to get to the door when a black braided sorceress broke in with the fury of a thunderstorm in her eyes. Even without her war paint, she was a highly intimidating figure.

"You have made plans to leave us, Lord Syler?" she asked, though it was obvious she knew the answer.

Syler crossed his arms, "Yes, I am. I will not see my sister in the hands of the Sua and Angvardi."

"You cannot go," she said firmly. "I forbid it."

"Oh really? Just yesterday, you were swearing to follow my commands, now you are giving me orders?"

She blinked once, but stood her ground. "Yes, it is dangerous and you are needed here. There are responsibilities that you must see to."

"No," said Syler. "I don't owe the Krue anything."

"You are our lord and protector, the welfare of this clan is in your hands."

"I didn't ask for it, nor will I accept it." If she could be stubborn, so could he. He had waited two and a half months to go after his sister when he should have tried to get her on the march to Kubei. Now that he was free of the Angvardi, he would not be delayed.

"It is your destiny, you cannot escape it."

"I have read nothing in prophecy that says I can't go and find my sister."

Vekla glared at him and looked as though she was contemplating locking him in his chambers to keep him here. Syler was actually concerned that she might do just that and he wasn't sure if the servants would resist. Even then, he wasn't going to back down on this, not with his sister's fate at stake. He returned Vekla's glare and took comfort in the fact that her spells couldn't actually harm him. Even as he stared at her with a scowl on his face, a plan was forming in the back of his mind. Seeing the two of them at a standoff, Torrvel decided that it would be wisest to take a few steps back and remain silent.

"You cannot leave Thwrud without a lord," Vekla said at last.

"Then you take my place. I am sure that you command enough respect to do it."

She shook her head sending her braids flying. "No, I cannot, it is not my purpose."

"And what is your purpose?"

"I am to guide you in all that you do and make sure you don't do something stupid like going into Sua territory."

"Then you will have to kill me," said Syler frankly. Vekla blinked twice this time, but he didn't let her get a word in before he continued. "I am not going to leave my sister, the only blood family I have left and the one whom I swore to protect, alone in the hands of the Angvardi and the Sua. One way or another, I am leaving even if I have to do so on foot. As your lord, I have spoken and that is my final word."

A double blink and a twitching right eye later and Vekla managed to say, "You cannot leave the People without a lord." This time, though, instead of sounding fierce, she sounded almost as though she were pleading with him.

"As I said, if you want them to have a leader, then name someone who can be my regent."

She looked down, finally breaking the glare she had kept on him since walking in. "Nobody can lead us but our lord."

Syler smiled inwardly, but kept his face placid. "Then we have a problem, because I am going to get my sister and I don't think I will be able to get back to Krue territory once I do."

"You cannot go away," this time, Vekla's voice was most definitely a plea. "Without you, the People will be destroyed."

"Then make me an offer."

That elicited three rapid blinks from her. "What sort of offer?" she asked suspiciously.

"If you want me to return and lead you, then I want some things done and I don't care what traditions they may break."

Vekla's eyes narrowed, but she said, "What do you want?"

"First, you will provide me and all that travel with me with hasuan mounts. Torrval here won't let me use them, but I think they will help us get into Sua territory much faster and make it safer for us all."

She considered this for a moment, then said, "You have been to battle, no? Then I believe I can manage to allow you to ride one. Only warriors are allowed to ride the sacred hasuan, nothing can change that."

"Remember what I said about tradition," warned Syler.

"That is not tradition," she argued. "The hasuan themselves would not tolerate one who is not a warrior to guide them. They test the spirits of all who take their reins and those who they find are not worthy, courageous warriors are thrown off."

Syler saw no lie on her face, even if it did sound a little crazy. He was willing to take her at her word, though. "Okay, Lamastus and I have both been in battle, but what about Bronwyn?"

"Has she fought a battle and shown herself an honorable warrior?" Vekla asked.

"No," Syler admitted.

"Then she cannot hold the reins of a hasuan." She paused, then said, "That does not mean she cannot ride with you, though. The hasuan are easily able to bear two, that is how we introduce our new warriors to battle since they would not yet be able to command one."

"Fair enough," said Syler. "My second demand is that the name of this estate be changed. I don't want my name associated with a house that I won by killing an honorable man. Plus, it is too arrogant of me, like one of those damned Angvardi aristocrats."

Vekla pondered this for a few seconds, then nodded.

"Excellent, the third thing I would want would be for the Krue to open their borders to any and all who want to flee the oppression of the Easterners. I am sure that there are many who, like me, were fleeing them and have no place to go. I want them to be able to come here and find shelter and safety."

"Such a thing would greatly anger the Haresu," Vekla pointed out.

"I know, but they aren't going to do anything that they wouldn't already be preparing to do. Only a fool would believe that they won't eventually attack the Krue. If we bring in some of those who resist their rule, we will only have more men to help fight them and more women to help support those men. I wouldn't let anyone who is going to be lazy stay. All who want shelter should be put to work and be required to pull their own weight. When it comes time to fight, the able bodied men will have to do their part."

Vekla looked skeptical, but she saw that Syler was serious and didn't dismiss it. Torrval looked positively aghast at the notion of allowing foreigners into the forest, but Syler didn't much care what he thought as he had no authority among the Krue. From what he could tell, though she wasn't a member of the elders or in the lordship, the Krue valued and respected Vekla for her ability to wield magic and for her father. That made her particularly valuable to him if he wanted to get this done.

"Even were the elders to allow this, you would only be able to speak for this one clan. If you want the Krue to allow outsiders into our forest, you would have to convince all of the other lords. I cannot promise this thing, even if you were to return."

It was as Syler suspected, but that wasn't entirely a bad thing. "As long as I will get your support for this, I will be satisfied."

She thought about it and nodded. "I will do as much as I am able. What else do you demand?"

Syler smiled and replied, "I want to learn how the Krue smith their metal. When we return, I want to work with your smiths and learn their ways so that I can craft as beautifully as they do."

Vekla cocked her head and asked, "Why?"

"Because I am a blacksmith and I would like to become better. Is that so strange to you?"

"No, it is not strange, I just… I never thought that you would be a blacksmith."

"What did you think I would be?"

"I am not sure. I expected you to be a warrior, one who was skilled at fighting and leading."

Syler smiled, "Yes, well, I am not so good at the fighting part. I am a blacksmith, and to tell the truth, hardly more than a senior apprentice. I trained a little in fighting as part of the militia, but my only battle experience is utter defeat at Fazei Crossing."

"You were successful in freeing your woman," Vekla said quietly.

"My wife," Syler corrected. "Yes, I suppose I was, but that wasn't really a battle and I was simply following the plan, not leading men."

"You displayed courage in fighting at all. No other men went to rescue their wom—wives."

He shrugged at this. "Well, I had no real choice. It was either find and rescue her or die trying. Life wasn't worth living without her."

"You demonstrated that in standing up to your Elements. Few would dare such a thing."

Syler didn't feel like talking about it right now. "You know my terms for returning, do you agree to them?"

The sorceress nodded. "Yes, but you shall agree to one of my own."

Syler was immediately wary. "What is it?"

"I will be coming with you, as well a company of our warriors."

Syler had briefly considered seeing if he could get some of the Krue's fabled cavalry to come with him, but had dismissed the idea. Having a horde of Krue descend upon a city would drive them into panic and could provoke a violent response before it could be made known they were not there to conquer or pillage. Plus, it would attract too much attention. Syler didn't think a few score of the Krue could take on thousands of Angvardi soldiers no matter how fast they could travel on their hasuan.

"No, it would bring too much attention to me and put us in danger."

"You cannot go out unprotected," insisted Vekla.

"Fine, you can come with me, I could use your magic."

"We need warriors to protect you should we be attacked by a group."

Syler sighed and said, "No more than a dozen. Choose your best warriors. You have until tomorrow morning to have them ready."

Vekla bowed her head. "They will be." She turned to Torrval, "You will inform the servants that this estate is no longer to be called the Penion Estate. Call it whatever Syler Penion of Sandrin wishes it to be called, no matter what tradition it breaks."

"But, it is against—" he started.

"I don't care. Our lord has made an agreement with me and I intend to see my part carried out. And make ready two of the finest hasuan for tomorrow."

Syler chuckled as he left the two of them to argue it out. He exited the stables quite satisfied with himself. He had accomplished what he had set out to do and had in truth, given nothing up. It had always been his intention to return here with Karusa, but if he could get something in return that the Krue might not have otherwise been inclined to give, all the better. Plus, this little exchange had given him an idea of just how much they believed they needed him. He might not agree with it or even entirely believe it, but they did and that was what mattered.

I didn't pick up on it myself, with regards the last name, but if Syler was remorseful about having to kill him, I personally would have expected him to at least make sure he was attende to before leaving.

The new post, I really enjoyed it. Seeing Syler negotiate for the hausan was interesting.

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png