What are you reading/watching/playing?

Tiana Calthye

Especially as creators it's important to keep a steady flow of new inspiration! While there's already a lot of book and movie and game threads kicking about in other boards, those are of course targeted towards mere readers (psh) rather than us lofty slingers of adjectives and nouns.

So, from the perspective of a creator, what are you digesting, and how is this effecting your urge to create?

Currently I am reading The Wheel of Time, book one. Now, I read a couple of these books YEARS ago in my LotR crazed obsessive rush to find other things to satisfy my yearning for high fantasy, but after years of fickleness, I've finally returned to reread book one... but slowly, and savouringly. I noticed one unconscious bit of inspiration snitched from this book in a theme or two that's cycled about in my writing! Hm. Maybe nothing is new, or maybe it sank in and I simply didn't remember... after all, it's been some six or seven years. I'm enjoying the lofty ambitions and grand scale.

Lately, I've been watching YouTube LET'S PLAY videos because I've been too sick to really do much else. I stumbled upon a first person horror game called Amnesia: the Dark Decent and I'm really enjoying the Lovecraftian themes. I'm ashamed to admit that I've watched through almost two whole playthroughs of this game... that is a lot of my life gone, but it's so fun watching people scream.

There's something about the projection, though. You can't see the player, and you experience the world through them. I don't know if it would work so well to be narrated through a game with a grand, arching storyline such as a Final Fantasy game, but with the horror genre it works wonderfully. Especially as I'm susceptible to screaming myself.

The combination of these has of course lead me to write grand-scale torment and horror. Still dealing with dreams, of course, but I doubt I'll lose that itch any time soon.

This has really brought back the urge to torment my characters mercilessly. It's nice!

What are you reading/watching/playing and how is it effecting your creations?

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Hmm, let's see. Book wise, I'm in the middle of the X-wing series (dang, gotta finish those!) and I'm really looking forward to "Son of Neptune" when it comes out. I have a bunch of books at home that I need to read, but I'm a fan of fan-fiction, and I just finished an entertaining FF.net SW series. I'm always on the lookout for good fics. *shrug* Also reread an excellent Final Fantasy VII fic. <3

I love manga, am currently up to date on Bleach, Naruto, Bakuman, Skip Beat! and Ao no Exorcist (as well as D. Gray Man...dang, that one's not gonna end well). Recently I've been on a Ruroni Kenshin kick...but that's not something new. I love Kenshin.

Movie/TV wise, I'm up to date on Doctor Who and Sherlock, just started "The Mentalist", watching Ruroni Kenshin again.

I think that about covers it.

You know the closer you get to something

The tougher it is to see it,

And I'll Never take it for granted,

Let's go!

Every_Super_Villain_should_have_a_g.jpg

I had committed myself to reading something written in the last fifty years because almost all of what I have read in the last few years through studies and otherwise has been older classics...and I ended up picking up King Lear. It's the only one of Shakespeare's Big Four tragedies that I've never read and I have had it on my list for a long time. But after this I will definitely move to something more current. I think I need it for my own writing because I have the tendency to indulge in archaisms to a fault. It's a habit I need to break myself of and I just need to become aware of more good contemporary writing.

As for watching, I just saw Dr. Horrible again last night for the first time since it was just coming out. It's actually brilliant. The end still gets me.

couldntbeseen.png

At the moment I am about 3/4 of the way through the Young Jedi Knights series of books and about to start The Will of the Empress by Tamora Pierce.

I've just started playing Civilization World on FB which is very fun.

I am watching Stargate Atlantis mostly at the moment but also Firefly and Dollhouse.

qsWJXxN.png

looking forward to tit
One flash of my perfect chest and he'll be knocked out in a happytime daydream.