Fanfic Truth or CHALLENGE!

Tiana Calthye

Hmm...I was thinking about how I would answer this question, and I decided that the non-canon pairing I like best is only non-canon because it hasn't happened yet. I still have hope that there will be SW books in the future that explore a Allana-Chance romantic pairing. I think it has lots of potential.

That said, I had a lot of fun writing this challenge. It reminded me of the old Young Jedi Knights series, and so I tried to write it in that style. Fun stuff.

http://jedirp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1166660

Okay, truth for COEM: What, to you, are the elements required for a good story?

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Okay, truth for COEM: What, to you, are the elements required for a good story?

Ami: That's a great question. I've thought about this a lot, and I don't know if I really have a good answer. I think about the stories I enjoy and the works that are considered "great" and there is no one formula for a great story. I would say the best stories tend to have the characters drive the plot rather than the plot drive the characters, but there are also stories I love and which I would consider great that are not openly deficient in characterization, but nevertheless the characters are not so much main point or the big idea (some Borges short stories are a great example). I've also read stories that are superb on a technical level (the quality of prose, characterization, plotting, etc.) but feel sterile because it lacks a certain spark or resonating passion. I tend to like smart and creative stories that make you think, but that cannot be the end of it because math problems can have that effect and that is not what I want in a story. I think having universal themes, even if they manifest in very particular or unusual circumstances, is necessary in order for readers to connect emotionally and feel that the story speaks to something important.

I know that's a rambly answer and not a very well-defined one either but I think that's because good stories simply hit people in a certain way. Sometimes it's because the plot is dizzying, sometimes it's because the characters jump off the page, sometimes it's because the writing is beautiful, sometimes it's because the themes deal with things we've all experienced. Although some ingredients may be more vital to a good story than others, no formula covers every great story and sometimes the best stories are great precisely because they defy convention. How's that for a non-answer?

This time I am

couldntbeseen.png

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...