Out of Character/Canon!

Tiana Calthye

One thing I haven't seen a lot of on Jedi.net, in both the past and the present, is pairing fics. Now, this was common in my silly fanfic.net days, when you could throw a stone and hit a dozen Star Wars slash fics before finding the true winners--the ones with shaving cream and paint buckets splattering Jedi Masters and water balloons and a good dose of craziness (which was of course, what I wanted to read... NOT Anakin and Obi-Wan making hot sweet love in the Jedi Council chambers!)

Perhaps our more mature userbase shuns out of canon pairings.

But why? Who doesn't love a good Obi/Yaddle fic?

I avoided the pairing fics because mostly, they were creepy. Even worse were the character + "self insertation Sue" pairings. I still retain a moment of trauma thinking back on the story I once read, where someone tore open Obi-Wan's shirt and buttons scattered.

Wait, buttons?

How do you feel about pairing fics? If you were to write a pairing that didn't exist in canon, who would you put together and why? If you shun fanfic pairings, why?

How do you feel about stories that absolutely destroy canon as you know it?

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Yeah, pairings are generally a quick road to smut (at least that's the popular route!) but I love seeing a good story with unlikely companions. Like, if someone wrote a Geki/Kaipi fic it would probably inevitably include some rather kinky sexy times but I would be interested in it just because of the extreme character differences... it would make a great story with no romance because they would inevitably clash and that could create an interesting measure of tension throughout the story as they're forced to work together to SAVE MANKIND AS THEY KNOW IT or something.

I guess since out of canon pairings were never a feature of Jedi.net you wouldn't understand the absolute PLAGUE of "unlikely duo has sexual intercourse" fics out there.

But I do love it when there's two unlikely heroes, or a hero and a villain forced to work side by side.

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I remember there used to be several on here that were pairing fics. I seem to remember a Siri/Obi one, and an Obi/Amidala one.

I don't shun them...if they're well written. Even if they aren't, sometimes they are fun to read. *shrugs* So I guess I'm ambivalent...

But now I have a challenge idea!!!

amipaint2.jpg

SHE MEANS TO END US ALL!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!11eleventyone!
There goes Ami's reputation of being a peaceful, nice person.

Fanfic as a whole- in the purest sense of straight-up SW fic- has kinda fallen by the wayside. I think one of the biggest reasons is that we have a mature, older (on Jnet; not necessarily actually old) group of users who are more interested in producing their own stuff than writing SW fics. It's more satisfying to produce original work rather than use somebody else's universe, even one as rich as SW.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

Fanfic as a whole- in the purest sense of straight-up SW fic- has kinda fallen by the wayside. I think one of the biggest reasons is that we have a mature, older (on Jnet; not necessarily actually old) group of users who are more interested in producing their own stuff than writing SW fics. It's more satisfying to produce original work rather than use somebody else's universe, even one as rich as SW.

Very true. Even my Chronicles story, though based in Star Wars galaxy is completely original, being set when it was. It is so much more satisfying to create your own character from scratch, and own that characters thoughts and philosophies and actions, then to take a pre-made character and make it do what you want it too.

Member of Jnet Addict Club 12/05

Order of the Nocturnal

thunderpie.png