Kat Nargal Memorial Resort

King Kheldar vos Correlli

The Mouth of Ar-Pharazon had finished what turned into one hell of an awesome vacation. Considering the overarching fact that he was still largely ensnared by evil magic forever, he was in a great mood. He packed up his gear, snatching up every special lotion he could carry and made his way out of his room. If his eyes were not ruined by magical profanity, they might have teared up slightly. It was not the case. Dead retinas and screwed up rods and cones were just that.

He put his electronic key card on the desk as he proceeded out of the Kat Nargal resort. ”œThanks for a great time. I really appreciated it.”

MOPUTH.png.8384403141004c3701f23e882b04716f.png

Is there anyone in this rout with authority to treat with me?

The plan was executed with a simple perfection, and with the timely aim of damaging two birds with one stone. Not hitting per say, but "winging" them both for a future take down.

Milos Vahratan was a known weapons trader, a representative of BlasTech industries. Recent changes on Bespin had resulted in a rise in Tibanna gas and Milos looked to find buyers for his company's wares given the spike in prices.

Ared Mosinel was his contact, a distinguished looking man with a bit of white hair streaking his temples, and had set up the meeting. Mosinel, or rather "R. Gaebril" as his papers and the transponders on his ship identified him as, claimed to be a representative of the Galactic Gunshop and invited Vahratan to the Resort for a business meeting. It would be Vahratan's last.

The meeting started smoothly with "Gaebril" summoning one of the resort's prettiest waitresses over to serve the two of them as they went down to business. Beauitiful women were Mosinel's speciality and he practiced an underhanded form of compulsion, using Zeltron pheromones to seduce women. Today was no exception, but she was not for him.

Midway through the meeting, he was giving a hesitant Vahratan details on an illicit way to bolster his company's profits by selling to the Gunshop in exchange for the Gunshop getting BlasTech in touch with illicit smugglers to lower their overhead on tibanna gas if an agreement was struck. The deal was, unknown to Vahratan, a rouse. The names of the smugglers were real though, though these were wilfull fools who elected to stay out of Black Sun's sphere of influence and do business on their own. As the BlasTech representative was looking over the datapad, Mosinel slipped something into his drink. It was part Zeltron pheromone and part of something else, something resembling a poison could lay dormant until certain bodily conditions were met.

Mosinel watched Vahratan gulp down the drink, and using his pheromone dispenser, watched a second bout of chemistry happen with the waitress, the Resort's own employee, the pheromones, and the BlasTech representative. As the chemicals and emotions mixed, Mosinel took his leave of the two, asking Vahratan to just think about his offer and to contact Slicer at the gunshop directly. He departed as quietly as he left soon to ditch his assumed name and ship to cover his tracks.

As it happened, the plan went off flawlessly about three hours after Mosinel departed. Vahratan would die in the throes of passion that night in his room at the resort, leaving his pheromone besotted waitress and lover of the night aghast as his heart gave out in a natural looking heart attack.

Naturally both the media and police would be involved and would ask two questions that looked bad for both the Resort and the Gunshop:

Why was the married high ranking BlasTech representative caught dead in bed with a Resort waitress in such a scandalous fashion?

And why was he carrying documents all but outlining an illegal trade deal with his company, the Galactic Gunshop, and known smugglers?

Hail Daisaku!

BSO.jpg

• 1 month later...

-A transmission from the Royal Palace of Naboo to Ms. Brina Thalin-

There can be no denial of the mutual interests between the Artisans' Guild on Naboo and the Link Organization, yet many others will try to destroy, incorporate, or change you in order to amass further political gains. For the sake of similar pursuits and interests, this can not be allowed. It seems that both of us have received external pressures, contrary to the neutral paths for which we are set. Know that while not a traditional military, we Naboo have unique methods of protecting ourselves ”“ methods especially strengthened now in wake of recent tragedies. Our aim is the preservation of neutral interests, among which include history, art, and festivity. With your permission, I humble request the opportunity to visit the Kat Nargal Resort, in order to discuss future friendship, which I believe can benefit us both, especially in the wake of a seemingly less-effective galactic government.

”“Queen Memara of the Naboo.

namari.png.2510408bc48b537b03c729725bc5aa69.png

Queen Namari of the Naboo

• 2 weeks later...

Idarah had been alone within the administration offices of the Resort. She hadn't been abandoned by any stretch of the imagination, but something about her situation seemed tried.

She was caught in a place that she had little to no authorization for and both proprietors were gone. She was so 'bored,' that she found herself routinely going through all of the administration offices to: check if she was needed, see if they had returned, to see if anything happened, and in some cases, just to have something to do.

It was during one of these 'patrols' though, that she caught a fairly interesting communique from one, QUEEN MEMARA.

She knew, or supposed, that Miss Thalin would be gone for a time, so the droid hovered over to her communication device and tapped into the communication relay to get a direct link so she could download the information afterward and give it to Miss Thalin at a later date.

A spritely mechanical voice responds in turn of Brina ==

"Hello your Majesty. I am sorry, but it appears that Miss Thalin is not available and Miss Nargal isn't particularly available either and I am not authorized to process your request. May I take your message to either of them if and/or when they arrive?"

IdarahSig.png

• 4 months later...

With a small, or perhaps large, explosion, The Cake is a Lie, exited hyperspace above the Kat Nargal Memorial Resort, with as much luster as could be expected from a mad Hutt's personal vehicle of insanity. A small bit racistly, the overlarge craft of opulence glided to a halt upon one of the landing-platforms.

Sheog, with a small, sad smile, ushered his friends and allies from the lowered landing ramp, passing to each one a hefty bag of credits. As the last Sith had exited his craft, the mountain of gluttony saluted them all with a wave of his grimy hand, before triggering the landing-ramp to raise back into position.

With a large grin, the insane Hutt patted Hayley of the shoulder and used The Force to guide The Cake is a Lie towards the heavens. As the ship cleared the gravitational ring, Sheog personally typed in the hyperspace coordinates of a far off, and undisclosed sector of space. He had much to do.

OvQX5BE.png

King Kheldar vos Correlli said:
Sheog, I have to ask, overkill much?

Life had a really weird way of messing with Emily Zsahra-Skywalker. She had escaped from mad Sith and slavers, worked hard to make her way back to Coruscant, had been invited to participate in this big battle to gain her lordship...and then everything had been canceled and she had been dumped on a resort station.

It had gotten to a point where it was just ridiculous. If there was any sign that she wasn't supposed to be a Sith, then recent events proved it. But Emily wasn't a normal girl. What would deter someone else only made her resolve that much stronger. She couldn't quit now. No way.

So she found herself in the transportation hub of the KNM Resort, booking transport to Gala. That was one thing that was good about the location Sheog had dropped them off at. It was owned by the Link, and the Link was first and foremost a transport and shipping company. As a result, there were ships going out to all parts of the galaxy.

At least Sheog paid for our passage, she thought, paying the Link employee with some of the credits in the large bag the Hutt had given each of them. She pocketed the change and boarded the small transport ship. Making herself comfortable, she prayed for a quick, safe passage. Although, she thought bemusedly to herself, with all the other Sith aboard, many of whom were itching for a fight, if any slavers attacked this ship, they would find themselves quickly overwhelmed.

Emily%202015_zps34rpkjob.jpg

"Days in the sun...what I'd give to relive just one. Undo what's done, and bring back the light."

• 5 years later...

Kalyani looked up from the desk as her mother walked into the office. A bright smile crossed her features as she saw the cup of caff that Zara had brought in for her. They sat for a while in companionable silence. "You and Mellanie wanted to take one of the ships out sometime soon didn't you? Any idea when you want to leave yet?" Kaly shook her head, her black locks swinging forward as she did so. Absentmindedly she swept it back behind her ears before she answered. "Not yet. I have to talk with Mell first. I've just about got all the paperwork organised. We'll have to call into Link HQ on Coruscant to check on a few things and the Shipyards at Roon. But I don't think it will be too far away."

Zara was proud of her children. Kane had gone off to do his own thing though called back to Naboo when he could or commed them from time to time. Her daughters had been taking over business side of things allowing both herself and Brina to relax more. They were turning into a pair of very savvy business women.

Kaly glanced down at the comm. that blinked with a text message from Count Shadowlord. They hadn't heard from him for a long time. It seemed that he had gone to Dathomir and was requesting permission to enter the compound there that Zara had had built. She showed her mother the text and was told to pass on their regards, to which Kalyani did. She then talked a little more with her mother before the latter left the office. Giving a sigh, Kaly turned back to getting things in order for the sister's trip.

• 2 weeks later...

This was going to be a momentous trip. Of that, Mellanie Devanus had no doubt.

It had all started a few weeks ago when Araac had asked her to meet his family. They had been dating for two years, but this was a huge step. His family was all back on Mandalore, and that was a place that outsiders rarely, if ever, went. She knew it was the next step in their relationship, and she thought she was ready for that, but it still made her nervous. She wanted his family to like her...because at the rate things were going, they might someday be her family.

That was a really strange thought. It wasn't that she felt she was too young--after all, she was 18, and in both Araac's culture and her own mother's culture, she would have been long married by now. But it still felt like she was beginning a new chapter of life. She suddenly shook her head. Don't be silly, Mel. It's just another step in the journey.

She smiled to herself as she entered her mother's office, only to find her older sister there. "Hey Kaly," she said cheerfully. "You ready yet? Araac has been ready to go for 'hours' he says." She raised an eyebrow teasingly at her sister. "And Aunt Brina said that if I want to leave anytime this week, I'd better come get you. Come on, everything's ready. It's not like they can't run things without you for a week."

DSgZUkY.jpg

Daughter of Sabian Devanus and Zara Nargal

Kalyani looked up as her younger sister walked into the office. She had just completed the last bit of paperwork and had sent out the last of the messages. She laughed when Mel said that Araac had been ready for hours. "I just have to grab my bag and I'm set." She rose from the chair and moved to her sister's side. She could tell that Mel was nervous, after all, it was a huge step. "How are you feeling? Got the nerves under control?"

The two made their way to the apartment, Kaly grabbing her already packed bag and slinging it over her shoulder. She rejoined her sister just as their mother and Aunt came in to see them off. "You two stay safe." Zara told them as she hugged each of her daughters in turn. Aunt Brina hugged them goodbye as well, both women telling the girls they loved them as they left the apartment. Just before the girls boarded the ship Kaly had to ask, "Are you sure Araac doesn't mind me tagging along when you meet his family? I don't want to intrude."

"It's fine," Mellanie replied. "To be honest," she said, lowering her voice, "I'll be glad to have you there. Just in case it's a disaster."

Araac was taking his own ship, leaving the two girls to take one of the company ships. They were just approaching the hanger when suddenly there was the pounding of feet behind them. "Wait!"

Mellanie turned to see her godmother running to catch up to them. "Aunt Brina? What is it?"

Brina caught up, her sides heaving. "I've come to a decision. I don't want you taking any of the company ships," she said between pants for air. "I want you to take the Mynock."

Mellanie was stunned. "Are you serious?"

"Yes," Brina replied firmly. "It's in pristine condition, you know how to fly her, and I trust you with her. Just...bring her back safe and sound, okay?"

Mellanie threw her arms around the red-head. "Thank you so much, Aunt Brina! You know I will."

The girls changed direction and headed for the Crazy Mynock. Mellanie did know the ship like the back of her hand, having spent many hours with Brina tinkering and repairing the old Corellian freighter. The sisters boarded, and as the ship warmed up, she waved to Brina and lifted it into the air, heading out from the resort into space.

Araac's voice crackled over the comm. "Is that the Mynock?!?"

Mellanie smiled. "You bet it is."

"A ruug'la ship like that will fit right in at home." Even over the comm, Mel could tell he was teasing her. "Sending the coordinates. See you in a few hours dirtside."

Once the coordinates came through, Mellanie threw the lever, and sent them into hyperspace--destination: Mandalore.

DSgZUkY.jpg

• 3 months later...

A vid comm arrived for Zara from space. Seen was a black armored figure with the Ducal crest of Serenno on the right paldron though his face was hidden behind a mirrored visor. The voice eminating from the helment had the Serenooian accent with a hint of the noble phrasings on certain words.

--Greetings Miss Nargal. Count Shadowlord sends his regards to you and your family. He sent me to track you down to deliver some news in person regarding Dathomir. Where would be the best location to meet in private?--

E nomini patri, et Fili e spiritu sancti.

Zara glanced up at the clock as she rubbed the back of her neck to ease the tension. Ever since she found out that the girls were in the middle of a warzone on Mandalore she had been on edge and had thrown herself into her work as a distraction. She and Brina had just gotten back from running some supplies to the shipyards on Roon. Concern was etched permanently on her features these days it seemed. She knew the girls had received the armour she'd sent them though she couldn't have talked either of them out of staying there to defend Araac's family home. She quite liked Araac as a match for Mellanie. Her youngest daughter couldn't have found anyone more suited than the Mandalorian Zara had originally employed to guard her. When they had first informed her that they were in love, the Link CEO had been concerned. As she got to know Araac though she could see how much he loved Mellanie. She only hoped now that Kalyani could find someone. Her thoughts were interrupted by an incoming comm message. Activating it she looked upon the representative of Serenno as he spoke.

Greetings Miss Nargal. Count Shadowlord sends his regards to you and your family. He sent me to track you down to deliver some news in person regarding Dathomir. Where would be the best location to meet in private?

Depressing the button she answered the black armoured figure. "Greetings to you too. I'm always pleased to hear from Count Shadowlord. You can meet me in my office at the Resort. How long before you arrive?"

144JyIb.jpg

"Greetings to you too. I'm always pleased to hear from Count Shadowlord. You can meet me in my office at the Resort. How long before you arrive?"

"I expect that we will arrive tomorrow morning, until then. Farewell Lady Nargal."

-- The following day--

The shuttle landed at the resort and the squad dismounted from the shuttle. Captain Baynard directed two of the squad to stay with the ship and the remainder proceeded into the resort much to the surprise of many of the guests. They stopped short of Zara's office and the guards dispersed away from the office but remained close enough to block unwanted guests from interrupting them. Before knocking at Zara's office door, Baynard unsealed and removed his helmet then tucked it under his arm. When she answered, he walked into her office and inclined his head to her.

"Lady Nargal, the Count sends his greetings and hopes that you are well." He paused for a moment before continuing. "However he sent me to be the bearer of bad news. Your clan on Dathomir is no more. It was destroyed less then two weeks ago by Nightsisters and internal betrayal by Mitral. She twisted the clan against outsiders and starting pitting the clan member against each other. Your compound is secure however, the Count managed to protect it and subsequently has dispatched a garrison to provide security until such time as you decide what you wish to do with it."

After signing off Zara leaned back in her chair a moment wondering what could have happened on Dathomir. It had been years since she'd been back there... in fact, not since Mitral had taken control of the Elders. She couldn't stand that old biddy. Lena, her Aunt Lantra and Kara had on occasion crept away to the compound and commed her with the latest but it had been a while. The last communication she had from them was when Mitral was sending them off on some wild rancor chase two week's horse ride away from the Clan. She didn't expect to hear from them for another three weeks or so. Giving herself a mental shake, Zara went back to work.

--

The following morning Zara was alerted to the arrival of the representatives from Count Shadowlord. Once the Captain had entered her office she smiled in welcome, indicating the easy chairs in the corner of the office where a tray of refreshments had been brought in. That expression left her once he started to explain what had happened on Dathomir. "My Clan... gone?" Shock made the colour drain from her face as she lent back. Hearing Mitral's name linked with betrayal had her go from shock to anger. "Do you know if she was in league with the Nightsisters?" she asked, trying to wrap her head around what could have happened. She had known Mitral was behind the suspicion against outsiders - including those that had left to live their lives elsewhere. It was why Zara hadn't been welcomed the last time she had gone to Dathomir. Instead, she had stayed at the Compound and spoken with Lantra, Lena and Kara there. With relief she realised that they would not have been there ... "There are three Clan sisters that weren't there then, they would be due to return in another week or so. My Aunt Lantra, Kara and Lena who were my children's tutors when they were young. They were more open minded and Mitral couldn't control them so she sent them on tasks away from the Clan quite often. They contacted me before they left on this latest task. They were to spy on a couple of Nightsister Clans to see if they had been the ones to kidnap some of the children one of which was a cousin of mine - Raia Selik. The Nightsisters have always raided the Clans for children to corrupt." She was relieved to hear that the Compound was still alright and under the Count's protection. "Unless they decide to leave Dathomir, my surviving Clan members will probably use the Compound. Could you tell your people to keep an eye out for them please." She could only hope that there were other survivors too.

144JyIb.jpg

Baynard frowned for a moment as he thought about her questions. "Unfortunately Lady Nargal, the Count was not aware of she was aligned with the Nightsisters or not before she was killed. He was there at her death and she didn't reveal whether she had ties with them. He had suspected that not all of the clan sisters would be killed and has a plan in place to verify their identity if they should return. "

He paused for a moment, a name she mentioned sounded familiar. " Raia Selik? What does she look like, the Count mentioned a teenager by that name when he was giving me the information to bring to you. It was Raia who killed Mitral in the end although the Count broke her mentally." He waited for her answer before posing another question to her. "What do you wish for him to do with the compound?"

"Raia killed her?" Zara repeated, wondering how that had come to pass. She wished she could have spared Raia that action. The poor girl must have snapped under Mitral's stifling rules... she knew she would have probably done the same though. She did not envy any of the Clan members living under the oppressive Mitral. The main thing that Zara took from hearing that was that Raia was alive. She didn't doubt that Draken had broken Mitral's mind, after all, when he had gone to Dathomir with her many years ago, he had broken a Nightsisters mind.

"What do you wish for him to do with the compound?"

The Dathomiri Witch met Baynard's eyes, "If Count Shadowlord wishes to keep a presence there I give permission for him to do so. Other than that, the Compound will house the Clan survivors until they rebuild." She poured a cup of caff for herself and the Captain and indicated the cakes and biscuits on the tray. "Raia would be about sixteen by now, dark brown hair and grey eyes. Is she still on Dathomir? I'd love to get a message to her, let her know she's not alone."

144JyIb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes she did, as the Count explained to me. He found Mitral trying to mentally force Raia to kill herself, he broke her mind and then Raia used a tree to kill her. I believe he does know where she is and how to get into contact with her. Should you wish to send her a message, the Count would be able to relay it to her for you."

He paused for a moment then changed the topic of conversation.

"The Count intends to use the compound as a base for for a work crew. He knows the value of the trees that are there and intends to harvest a sizable amount of them as well as prospect for any resources. He offers you and your family a forty percent split of the profits."

Zara shook her head at what Mitral had tried to do to Raia, "That poor girl..." her sympathies for her young cousin were obvious though her tone turned to curious wonder as she mused, "However did she manage that?" It was a rhetorical statement, one in which she didn't expect an answer to. Refocusing, the Dathomiri answered, "Yes I would like a message sent to her. I'd like my comm codes sent to her, along with Kalyani's and Mellanie's. Please let her know that she is welcome here whenever she wishes to come. My door is always open for her."

When they moved onto what the Count wished to use the Compound for she settled in to haggle a better deal, "Fifty percent split. It is my Clan's region after all."

144JyIb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Zara was woken in the middle of the night by her comm chirping. Immediately she thought of her girls on Mandalore fighting in a warzone. Her hand automatically rubbed her eyes as she murmured, “Answer comm.” to her AI. Sabian’s voice woke her the rest of the way and she sat up.

“Hey Zar. Sorry, did I wake you up?”

Looking across at her clock she answered, “You did... It's 4am Sabe. It’s not like you to not know the time difference… what’s the matter? You haven’t heard from Mel have you??”

“Hmm?” The question clearly distracted him. “No, I haven’t. Why?”

If ever there was a time for a case of ‘foot-in-mouth’ disease this was it… “Err… You know how head strong the girls are when they want to do something…” she began.

“Zara,” his tone got firmer, “where is Mellanie?”

The Dathomiri Witch sighed. “She and Kalyani went to meet Araac’s family. I wouldn’t be surprised if they marry soon…” Zara racked her brain on how to put it gently to Mellanie’s father that she was in the middle of a warzone. If he knew what was happening on Mandalore right now, then he would know and she dreaded how he would react… and could hear it now…

“She’s on Mandalore?! Are you aware of what’s going on in that sector right now?”

“Yes I’m well aware of what is happening there right now. I received a comm from the girls before it started. I begged them to come home but Mellanie wouldn’t leave Araac, and Kalyani wouldn’t leave Mellanie. I sent them some armor but haven’t heard anything since.”

There was a long silence on the comm. “If I could, I’d send the fleet there. But it’s too late now.” He sighed. “And I know the Mandalorians wouldn’t have welcomed GA help...even assuming I could get the Senate to send it in the first place.” His voice sounded weary. “I’m not sure how I feel about the girls being on the Mandalorian side. One of them thought it would be fun to try to kill me once. Mandalorians aren’t enemies you want. I have enough of those already.”

The tone of his voice alerted her to something else bothering him. “Sabian… what is it? What’s wrong?” They were too far apart for Zara to sense him, it was only his voice that told her something was really wrong. She knew he was having trouble with the Senate, she’d kept up on current affairs… no… this was something else.

He sighed. “It’s just...everything happening all at once.” There was a pause. “The Senate is voting no confidence in me. I had a visit from a Jedi informing me that she sensed a possible assassin lurking in the rotunda. And Master Kirlocca has just been killed.”

“An assassin? I hope you’re being careful. And Master Kirlocca? Oh Sabian, I’m so sorry. I hate to add to the bad news but the girls told me that there is a Sith involved with the attack on Mandalore.” She was a little shocked at the vote of no confidence though figured it would be a case of politics using the blame game again.

There was a rustling sound over the comlink. “We just have to trust the Force they’re alright. Zara...I originally called because I was hoping maybe you’d go to Kirlocca’s funeral. As my representative. I know it’d make more sense to send a GA delegation, but I’m not going to get them to agree on anything right now quickly enough. I know we’re not together anymore, but I thought of you. I think a lot of the Jedi will be there. It’d be good for you. Maybe you could find someone to complete your training. Force knows I never completed it. I was hoping Mel would go with you...but I guess that’s out of the picture now.”

“I’d be honoured Sabian. You know I still care for you. Who knows… maybe one day I will complete my training. And no, Mel wouldn’t. You know that she hasn’t wanted training. Maybe that will change after this. I’ll make sure the Jedi know that I’m representing you. When and where is it?”

“Thank you, Zar. Kachirho City, Kashyyyk. Immediately. I got the message yesterday, and it gave three days.”

“Alright. I’ll get organised and leave as soon as I can. May the Force be with you Sabe. Look after yourself.”

“You, too, Zar. I...just take care.” There was a click as the comm ended, and Zara was left once again alone in her room with her thoughts. She lay there for a few moments more, getting her thoughts in order before getting up and dressed, packing a bag and sending out messages to cover her sudden departure. It wasn’t long before she boarded the Black Pantha and left for Kashyyyk.

((Co-written and posted with permission.))

144JyIb.jpg

• 3 months later...

The Crazy Mynock appeared out of hyperspace near Adumar, and plotted a course that took it directly to the KNMR.

The past ten days had been wonderful. Mellanie and Araac had spent their honeymoon on the beaches of Chandrila. It had been peaceful and beautiful, just what the two Mandalorians needed after the blood and horror of the war. They hadn't been idle; no water activity had been off-limits. Mellanie had particularly liked parasailing, and Araac's favorite had been the cliff-diving. It was nice to be doing it for real. Mellanie had been water hoverskiing before, but only on the holo-entertainment sections on the KNMR.

As they landed, Mellanie rose from the pilot's seat and smiled at her riduur. "Shall we?"

The two made their way down the boarding ramp. Zara and Brina were there to meet them, along with Rascal. Mellanie embraced the two women, then as they hugged Araac, knelt down to give Rascal a hug as well. "Kaly here yet?" she asked, rising.

"Not yet," Brina replied. "She'll be here soon though. And your father is due tomorrow."

Mel smiled. "I'm really glad he's coming. Thanks for inviting him, Mom."

"Of course," Zara said. The smile suddenly faded from her face, and she reached down and grabbed Mellanie's gloved hand. "Hold on! What's this?" She pulled off Mellanie's glove, revealing the mechanical hand underneath. "Oh, Mel!" she breathed, tears threatening to well up. "No!"

Mellanie shrugged. "It's fine, Mom. Could have been much worse."

"How high--never mind."

"No, I don't mind talking about it." Mellanie rolled up her sleeve, showing Zara and Brina where the prosthetic started. "It's working well, and I don't have much pain."

"What happened?" Brina asked.

"Grenade," she replied simply.

Araac slipped an arm around her waist. "I think it makes you look tough."

She grinned. "Oh, and I wasn't tough enough without it?"

Brina chuckled. "Better not go there, Araac. Next thing you know, she'll be challenging you to a sparring match."

"Ooh, now that you mention it..." Mellanie's eyes sparkled as she rolled her sleeve back down and pulled on her glove.

The group continued out of the hanger and into the resort proper. It felt like it had been years since Mellanie had been here, but it really had only been about two months. As they made their way through the corridors, Mellanie suddenly realized something. "Hey, this isn't the way to the family suite."

Brina grinned. "Your mom booked you two the honeymoon suite on Diamond Level."

"What? Mom!" Mellanie squeezed Zara's waist. "You didn't have to do that!"

Zara kissed the top of her youngest daughter's head. "I'm happy for you. And I don't imagine you'll get nice things on Mandalore."

Mel ignored the unintentional slight. Her mother didn't really get why Mellanie had decided to become a Mandalorian, but Mel knew Zara was trying to be supportive. And even if glamour and luxury weren't really Mellanie's style, or Araac's, she appreciated her mother's attempt to make them comfortable.

DSgZUkY.jpg

It had taken a while but Kalyani and Jaesko finally got to the Resort. Kaly had talked with Araac's parents and they had all traveled together. Now she led Mellanie's new family into the place where the girls had mostly grown up in - apart from when they'd been at the Golden Link Casino. The two girls continued their conversation, "This has been my home for years so you can see why I like to be planet side. I love being able to look up and see the sky and breath the fresh air on Mandalore. I envy you when it comes to growing up there." Jaes looked around as Kaly led her friend out of the docking bay and into the reception area, not quite believing her eyes at the Luxurious Resort. They had docked in the families docking bay under Kaly's instructions and codes. As they had made their way through she had noticed the Crazy Mynock already there. "Mel and Araac beat us here." Jaesko stated.

Zara and Brina were just entering the reception area when they walked in, having been alerted to the new arrivals. Kaly grinned at the two proprietors as her mother spotted her, breaking out into a wide smile. She heard her ask Brina if she'd known they were arriving, only for the other woman to shake her head no, that she hadn't known either. Zara took in the people that had come in with her eldest daughter though was quick to hug Kalyani as soon as she reached her, "You just be Araac's family. You just missed them. Mel and Araac have just gone up to their honeymoon suite." To her daughter she shook her head, "You should have told me when you'd be arriving." Kaly just smiled and shrugged her shoulders. She wasn't quick enough to hide the wince that action still caused. "Not you too? What happened to you?" The arm she'd rested around Kalyani's shoulders lightened as she felt her mother assessing her. "I caught some shrapnel in my shoulder. It's no big deal Mum. Mel had it worse than me." The young woman knew she'd be having a bacta treatment first chance she got and was a little surprised when Zara hadn't marched her straight to the med center. Kalyani hadn't wanted to further tax the medics on Mandalore when so many others required medical attention. Zara was quick to note the shadows under her daughters eyes though didn't speak of it just then. There would be time for that when they retired to their family quarters. Brina greeted everyone, giving Kaly a gentle hug with a look that showed concern for the young woman that had grown up in front of her. "You know your Mother is going to have you at the Med Center in short order don't you." Kaly gave a slight smile and a half shrug, "Yes, I know. I'm glad to see you Aunt Brina." Zara was over talking with Araac's parents when Kalyani introduced Jaesko to Brina. She pointed to everyone, naming them so that both Zara and Brina could put faces to names. It wasn't long before the family was led through to their accommodations.

A call of 'Watch it!' sounded from a staff member who had to avoid a large black streak which launched itself at the young Wartide girl. Before she could do anything, Zara had 'caught' Rascal before he knocked her daughter over. Kaly just laughed as the Mandalorian's looked as if they were going to attack the large feline. Going down on one knee, she threw her arms around him as his rumbling purr began, "I've missed you too Rascal!" Jaesko shook her head, "It's no wonder you were so comfortable around Mirdala's sandhound Vi’ika." As Kalyani stood up again, she left a hand on Rascal's head, needing the black cat to know she was alright. "I'll give you a tour later Jaes. I've a feeling my next destination involves needles and bacta." The Vevut family went into their suites to relax having promised Zara that they'd all meet up at the observatory restaurant for the evening meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner that night saw the Vevut and Nargal clans gathered in one suite. The conversation wasn’t too awkward, for the most part, and despite the cultural differences, the two families embraced coming together. After the meal, they dispersed into natural clumps throughout the living area, while Assa and Ilae, Araac’s two youngest sisters, played tag with Rascal, weaving among the grown-ups and giggling.

Mellanie found herself sitting next to her mother, Vae, and Jaesko. She leaned forward and sat down her drink. “Now, Mum, we need to talk about what you have planned for this whole thing. You haven’t told me anything yet.”

“Well, Sweetheart, I was thinking we could set up the observation deck and have the reception up there.” Knowing her daughter, Zara would have it set up like a sparkly wonderland of fairy lights. She would have to find out what Araac was fond of and incorporate that in as well. She was so proud of her daughters and while she had a feeling Kalyani wouldn’t settle down in a hurry she was so happy for Mellanie and her new son-in-law.

Mellanie nodded. “That’s okay. Should be nice to have the planet as a backdrop.” She wasn’t really looking forward to this, but she had had plenty of time to reconcile herself to the fact that Zara would want to make it a big deal. Besides, after the war, she had come to realize there were much worse things than a glittery party.

“Yes that will be a nice backdrop,” Zara grinned, her grey eyes lit up with visions of how she could make it the best occasion for Mel. Inwardly she sighed, wishing she could have had the chance but those bridges had been burned long ago. “And what sort of things do you like Araac?” she asked as her son-in-law approached, wanting to get an idea to incorporate it in for what she already had in mind.

Araac raised his hands, palm outward. “Uh-uh, no way am I getting involved in this. This is your thing.”

DSgZUkY.jpg

Zara laughed at her son-in-law, “Fair enough” Turning back to her daughter she added, “Now I’ve asked the dress shop to show you what they have… Oh Mel, there’s some gorgeous dresses in there. You are going to look so beautiful love.”

Mellanie smiled weakly. As if on cue, Kalyani stepped up, placing an arm around her mother’s shoulders as she innocently asked, “Excuse me Mum, can I borrow Mel for a bit?” Zara looked at her eldest daughter suspiciously as the dark haired young woman whispered into her ear. Zara's eyes cleared as she nodded her head with a smile at both daughters. Kaly’s grey eyes were sparkling when she moved away from their mother and over to Mel, linking her arm through her sisters, “Come on Sis, I’ve got something to show you…”

As they moved away from their mother she lowered her voice but still had a mischievous grin on her face, “I thought you might need rescuing. But I do have a good reason for the interruption.”

Mellanie smiled. “Thanks. It was my own fault for getting her going.”

Kalyani led Mellanie around some of the tables to a young blond haired man with golden eyes. “Told you I had a reason,” Kaly grinned as her eyes met with her twin’s.

“Kane!” Mellanie exclaimed.

“Hey, Sis. You didn’t think I’d miss my little sister getting hitched did you?” Kane grinned at his sisters as he enveloped Mel in his arms. “Congratulations.”

----- next day -----

Kaly climbed out of the bacta tank after her - hopefully - last treatment. The worst thing about bacta was the smell. She went straight into the shower and used a coconut scented shower gel to rid herself of the bacta stench before finally giving up, hoping that she’d gotten rid of enough of it to be bearable. The young Wartide girl sighed as she grabbed a towel to dry off, wrapping it around herself before she left the shower in search of a robe as she looked around to get clearance from the Doctors to leave the Medical Centre.

“Woah Sis! How’d that happen?”

Kaly clutched the towel tighter as she spun around towards her twin, “Kane!” Feeling that he was coming to terms with what had happened to his little sister, he hadn’t expected to see that his twin had been that badly injured too. Relenting she answered, “Shrapnel got me - I didn’t get to cover soon enough…”

Kane’s golden orbs met with Kaly’s stormy grey, “You were on a roof the first time you got hit… then you got hit in the same place again later… when Mel lost her arm. I felt it but I didn’t want to believe it and I didn’t think it was that bad.” He handed her a robe as Doctor Kimble approached the twins.

“That should be the last treatment Kalyani, as long as you don’t reopen the wounds.”

The young woman shook her head as she answered, “I’ve learned my lesson there Doc. I don’t plan to.” Getting clearance to leave the Med Centre, the twins walked arm in arm along the staff corridors to the family suite. “Mum hasn’t seen the scars yet so I’m going to have to find a different dress than the one she got for me. I’d rather wear something else but if Mel has to wear a dress than I can put up with wearing one too.”

Kane laughed, “Two of a kind.” He shook his head, “I never thought my sisters would become Mandalorians. Gotta say though, it suits you both.” There was no need to tell her twin how she felt - he could tell. Even though they’d been in different parts of the galaxy at times, they still shared a close bond.

“Kaly!” She looked back down the corridor to see Jaesko catching up. Kane hugged her and gave Jaesko a nod when Kalyani introduced them. Giving his sister a kiss on the forehead he told her he’d ‘catch her later’ and headed into his room.

The two women went into Kaly’s room with Jaes looking back at Kane’s bedroom door, “You never said your brother was that hot, Kal.”

Grabbing a change of clothes she laughed and shook her head. “You never asked.” was her reply.

Up in their suite, Mellanie had risen early. She and Araac had gone down to the gym and worked out, then returned to their rooms to start getting cleaned up. As Mellanie came out of the sanisteam, Araac motioned to the front room. “Something arrived for you.”

She slipped past him and walked over to the table of the kitchenette, which had a large white box on it. Opening the box, she was affronted by a white pile of...fluffiness. Pulling it out, she groaned. “Oh, for the love of--” The wedding dress her mother had chosen was enormous. A massive round white skirt puffed out and draped behind to the length of several meters, and the form-fitting bodice was absolutely encrusted with silvery jewels. There were even jewels on the hem and train of the gown. The Mandalorian groaned again. “Why would anyone wear something like this?”

“What is it?” Araac called from the other room.

“My mum sent a wedding dress,” she called back. She could hear him chuckling from the other room. “Stop it, it’s not funny!”

“Yes it is,” he replied, coming in. “I mean, look at that thing.”

His mirth lightened her mood, and her lips pursed into a half smile. “It is ridiculous,” she chuckled. “I knew she was going to want to throw the fanciest, most grand thing for me, but really?”

He put an arm around her shoulders. “We talked about this, remember? It’s just a few days, and then we can get back to life on our terms. Your mother never had a wedding, after all.”

Mellanie nodded. “You’re right. She never married my father, nor the twins’. Do you think--” she hesitated. “Do you think she’s living vicariously through me?”

He shrugged.

“Then I guess I just need to suck it up and give my mum her day,” she finished. “But there’s no way I’m going out there in this fluffy thing. It’s bad enough that I have to wear a dress.”

She plopped herself down at the table and pulled up the shopping section of the built-in screen. Ten minutes later, she had chosen the first simple white dress she had seen, and ten minutes after that, it was delivered to their suite by a butler droid. The gown was a simple v-neck, long and flowing with simple straps that crossed over her back to meet the wide waistband. She returned to the bedroom to put it on. She dressed quickly, leaving her long blonde hair loose. Her only other adornment was a sparkling drop-gem necklace with a single diamond. “There.” She rose. The only stain on her appearance was her metal arm, all joints and wires, but it was what it was. “You ready, Araac?”

Her husband was wearing a simple pair of dark pants with a classy brown vest and matching tie. She smiled. “You look handsome,” she said. “Reminds me of that time we had to go to that dinner party on Selvaris.”

He grimaced. “That was one of the most uncomfortable nights of my life. Especially since we ran into that mercenary.”

She smiled and stood on tiptoe to kiss him. “Shouldn’t be any mercenaries today. Besides us.”

“You look really nice, too, by the way,” he replied as they turned and headed out towards the Observatory. “It’s kind of strange, though.”

She grinned. “I feel like someone else. I don’t think I’ve worn a dress since I was ten.”

A few minutes later, they arrived at the Observatory. Everyone else was already there, and Araac was whisked away. Everyone took their places, leaving Mellanie alone with her father. “I’m so glad you’re here, Dad,” she whispered, kissing him on the cheek.

“I wouldn’t have missed it for anything,” Sabian replied. “Alright, here we go.”

DSgZUkY.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Overnight and during the day the staff had outdone themselves in the observatory. After Zara had spoken to them, they had gathered the fairy lights and strung them up all over the observatory. The tables were set - round so that it would be a friendlier setting and everyone would be able to talk with one another. They had shifted around some of the potted plants so they could arrange the tables just right. Other lights were draped over the tables. At one end of the Observatory they had placed an arch covered with greenery, Mellanie’s favorite flowers and twinkle lights, ready for the celebrant to officiate the brief ceremony. Chairs were set up for the guests. It was arranged to be a short service since they were already married in the eyes of the Mandalorian people. This would record them as a married couple to the rest of the Galaxy, making it fully official. Overall, the setting was romantic for the newly married couple and as much of a blend of three cultures as Zara could make it. She had a special wedding cake made and had gotten her daughter and son-in-law gifts that would be useful to them for starting their lives on Mandalore - she had spoken to Araac’s family via comm before they arrived and gotten what they suggested would be best suited for them. Everything was all set.

Zara had spoken with Sabian the night before, the two of them talking till the early hours. He was thrilled for the opportunity to walk his daughter down the aisle. Just as Zara was glad of the opportunity to celebrate their marriage. When he had first heard that Mellanie was involved with a Mandalorian he figured he had missed out on the chance to. He should have known Zara would insist they have another ‘wedding’ so that they both had the chance to see their radiant daughter in wedding dress. He wore a crisp white shirt and tailored dark grey suit with Mellanie’s favourite flower in his lapel and stood just outside of the elevators waiting for Mel to arrive.

The Resort staff led the guests to the chairs set out near the archway. It was here that Zara waited. She had chosen a dark grey backless dress with silver accents which highlighted her stormy grey eyes. Unknowingly, she and Sabian had chosen complimentary outfits, though it could have been they had unconsciously connected through their old Master/Apprentice bond and just been on the same wavelength for the first time in years. As she looked at her twins she softly asked Brina if she could remind her to tell the kids about having had the representative from Count Shadowlord come to see her and told her what had happened on Dathomir. She had been told their cousin Raia Selik was alive though most of the Raging River Clan had been killed. Lantra, Lena and Kara had escaped the bombardment as well, Zara’s eyes scanning the guests to see the three of them sitting behind Kalyani and Kane. Maybe they would tell the twins what had happened and they could in turn tell Mellanie later.

144JyIb.jpg

Mellanie tightened her grip on her father’s arm as the doors swung open. Her eyes swept the room and took in the sight of quite a few more people than she was expecting. Leave it up to her mother to make this an even bigger event than her daughter predicted. But then her gaze zeroed in on the sight of Araac standing in the front of the room, a twinkle of humor in his eyes, and any awkwardness she was feeling faded away.

As they reached the front of the room, Sabian kissed her on the cheek and handed her to Araac, returning to the front row to stand beside Zara and Brina. The officiant was a Nautolan, well versed in the Coruscanti ceremony traditions that they were basically following. He asked them to hold hands, and Mellanie was reassured by the feeling of his strong hands in hers.

There was little preamble before they spoke their vows. “I, Araac Vevut, take you, Mellanie Devanus, as my wife, with all your faults and strengths, as I offer myself to you with my faults and my strengths. I will help you when you need help, and turn to you when I need help. I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life."

She smiled and repeated the vows. Then, together, they recited the Mandalorian wedding vows again, this time in Basic for the Nargal clan. “We are one, whether we are together or apart. We will share everything. And we will raise our children as warriors.”

They each bent down and signed a parchment document, and that was it. “You are now, according to Galactic Alliance law, husband and wife,” the Nautolan said.

Araac kissed her, and she couldn’t help but blush. “Now let’s get to the party!” she exclaimed, beaming. The guests began to file out, and Mellanie turned to give her mother and aunt hugs. “Thanks Mum,” she said. “I’m glad you talked me into this.”

Sabian was wringing Araac’s hand jovially. Mellanie slipped up to her husband’s side. “Come on,” she said, her eyes sparkling. “Let’s get some skraan.”

---

The reception was elegant but simple. Zara and Brina had done their best to honor Mellanie’s style, and the bride could tell. The food was excellent, and even contained some Mandalorian dishes that Araac’s mother had contributed.

A few hours later, Mellanie was sitting with Brina, watching the families interacting. “Hey Aunt Bri,” Mel began with a smile, “have you noticed that my dad can barely keep his eyes off Mum today?”

Brina smirked. “He does seem fixated on her. And your mom seems to have noticed.”

“Maybe I can convince Dad to stick around a little after this is over,” Mel mused.

Brina’s smile turned a little sad. She knew how much Mel had always wished her parents would get back together. “It doesn’t always work that easily.”

“I know,” Mel replied, “but surely it doesn’t hurt to try? I just want to see them happy. And Dad admitted to me he’s not sure what he’ll do now that his political career has come to a crashing halt.”

She was still thinking about it twenty minutes later. She was on the dance floor with Sabian, swaying gently, when she plucked up the courage to mention it to him. “Why don’t you stick around here after the wedding, Dad? I’m sure Mum and Brina could use your help.”

“What would I do?” he asked.

“Oh, I’m sure they’d find a role for you. There’s tons of stuff to be done around here,” Mellanie replied vaguely. “And now that Kalyani and I are gone, it leaves a gap.” Just then she noticed Zara and Araac weaving closer. Nice strategy, ri’duur, she thought. “Here,” she said as they moved closer, “why don’t you ask her right now?” Ducking under Sabian’s arm, she deftly and smoothly switched places, putting Zara right into Sabian’s arms.

DSgZUkY.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Kalyani and Kane sat at one of the tables with Lantra, Lena and Kara, Jaesko, Assa and Ilae. Kaly was having fun stirring her twin and Jaes, seeing Araac’s 19 year old sister blush as Kane flirted with her. He’d been oblivious of Jeasko’s interest until she had filled him in. The twins had also noticed how Sabian and their mother had been in each other’s company all night. “Do you think they’ll get back together?” Kaly asked her brother. “It looks like they might. I know Mum’s been lonely, especially since we’ve all flown the coop. I think Mel and Araac were matchmaking too… did you see how easily they got them dancing together?” Kaly had agreed. “They do look good together. It might be good for Mum if they do.”

Their attention was drawn to the Dathomiri trio as their old tutors and their great Aunt filled them in on what had happened on Dathomir and how lucky they had been that Mitral had sent them off on a wild goose chase, otherwise they would have been killed as well. Having seen the smoke from the fires, they had been on their way back to the Raging River Clan’s village when they had discovered a contingent of Count Shadowlord’s soldiers in Zara’s Compound. They had been told that their village had been destroyed though their cousin Raia Selik was safe and had been with the Count and another two Sith Masters. “I thought Raia went missing... didn’t she Aunt Lantra?” Her Aunt nodded her head telling them that she’d been told Raia had been with the Sith for a number of years. When the twins asked where she was now Kara told them they could try contacting Count Shadowlord to find out since she was last seen on Dathomir with him.

Overall, the wedding had been a success in her aunt's eyes, a surprising turn of events in her mother's eyes, too fancy in her in-laws' eyes---but oddly fun in Mellanie's eyes. It was strange; she hadn't really been interesting in a big wedding, but it had been better than she had been expecting.

Most of the Vevuts left the next morning, but Mellanie and Araac lingered for two extra days. Mellanie was taking the time to spend a lot of time with her father, catching up with him. He was most intrigued to know that Mand'alor had apologized for the scar on his face, and enjoyed regaling Mellanie with the tale over lunch.

Mel enjoyed her time, but she was eager to get back to Mandalore. She was ready to fully start her life there. The war had felt like an extended nightmare, and now she was finally waking up to a new dawn.

So when she hugged her parents and her aunt goodbye, it was with dry eyes, but a bittersweet heart. It felt like she was really leaving home, now. But the presence of Araac beside her made her smile. A new home was waiting.

So when their ship departed for the Mandalore Sector, Mellanie didn't look back.

DSgZUkY.jpg