NaNoWriMo 2011

Tiana Calthye

Are you up for the writing ride of your life? This Monday grab your pen, grab your paper, grab your laptop and hold onto your seat! The world NEEDS your novel and what better way to do it than NaNoWriMo 2010!

National Novel Writing Month is a worldwide event where writers everywhere leave behind their editors and fly through novels at the speed of light. The goal: a 50,000 word novel in a month. Is such a thing attainable, you ask? All that requires is a measly 1667 words a day for 30 days, which for me is around 4 pages in Word. This can easily be done in an hour, if you write at a speed of 30 words per minute... which I imagine almost anyone posting on this site can beat.

So ignore your typos, ignore your grammar, ignore your worldbuilding, ignore your cheesy archtypes and just write! For the future of mankind, YOUR NOVEL NEEDS YOU.

This is the official NaNoWriMo 2010 thread. If you join up, add me: Tiana Calthye both here and there. Here is a place to commiserate if you too are up for a little bit of writerly madness.

Edited by Guest

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

I want to wait til I'm out of college to attempt it.

That's just what I want to do and I will get to see what happens at the end of this year, so yeah. Well... November of next year would be a better way of putting it I think.

And no, no amount of convincing, complaining, persuading, arguing, threatening, beating, hanging, skipping, jumping, cajoling, chiding, or browbeating will get me to do it until I want to. So there

Feel free to contact me by Discord/PM/Email or, on Facebook

I want to wait til I'm out of college to attempt it.

That's just what I want to do and I will get to see what happens at the end of this year, so yeah. Well... November of next year would be a better way of putting it I think.

And no, no amount of convincing, complaining, persuading, arguing, threatening, beating, hanging, skipping, jumping, cajoling, chiding, or browbeating will get me to do it until I want to. So there

So, then you're not doing it?

apeditname.jpg

[Associate of the Illinois Mafia since November 2002.]

Member of the Four Horsemen

Lol.

Not this year, no.

I think I'd have an idea, but I am applying for a few positions in different places, I have school (that I already have problems focusing on) and for some strange reason i have a social life materializing on my head as if it had never been there before.

I have waaaaay more responsibilities then I have ever had before, so trying to shirk them when I have never had them before would be like trying to fight a wild bear with oven mitts, it just doesn't work that way.

Feel free to contact me by Discord/PM/Email or, on Facebook

I have 50+ pages worth of research papers due in the next 17 days.

Great, that should be about half of your word count right there! All you have to do is write "Character sat down to write his research papers. Inspiration struck. He started writing.

RESEARCH PAPERS.

That done, he set out to...

STORY."

See, you'll have half of the wordcount all ready for you!

spsig.jpg

Just when I thought it was over, I watched Tiana kick Almira in the head, effectively putting her out of her misery. I did not expect that.

Am I the only one who is having problems with the Nanowrimo website? I logged on to mess with some things this morning, and I couldn't get anywhere. Pages wouldn't load, or some would just load part way and then crap out. I hate to say it, but it's basically not navigable.

apeditname.jpg

Am I the only one who is having problems with the Nanowrimo website? I logged on to mess with some things this morning, and I couldn't get anywhere. Pages wouldn't load, or some would just load part way and then crap out. I hate to say it, but it's basically not navigable.

That's pretty normal for the first day, because they always underestimate the MASS SWARMS OF PEOPLE loading the site. Basically, keep in mind that currently, hundreds of thousands of people are all trying to do the same thing as you: update their word count. Just chillax a bit and the site will function pretty normally between the 2nd and 29th.

This is PRIME TIME however, and since it's day one they haven't had time to pop in another server because of massive site lag, or any other solutions they may take.

But yeah, I'm having site troubles too. It always cools down after the first day or two, and then picks back up on the last couple days, so I generally try verify before the end.

I recommend patience, and just poking away at your word count, until the site slows down a bit more. By tommorow it should be functional. It's functional even now, just a bit slow... I generally open things up in their own tabs due to the slowness so that I can load more than one thing at once.

Incidentially, who are you on the site? I'll add you to my buddy list so I can stalk your word count. XD

I've had an idea for a novel running around in my head for quite some time and this might actually be the motivation I need to do it. I'll attempt it and see where I get.

Great! Today's day one so you're not the only person in the world who hasn't started yet. You've got plenty of time even if you didn't get on the midnight madness kickoff! Good luck!

Anyway, I'm here with my exorbitant first night after midnight word count done basically all in word counts checking in as officially insane. You'd think I liked my novel or something, but I basically just wanted to outdo everyone. Heh.

spsig.jpg

This is an awesome idea. I wish I could participate but November happens to be possibly my busiest month (until Thanksgiving at least). I do have a novel idea I've been kicking around for a while so I'd love to try this next year as my schedule should be significantly different. I'd have to let go of some inhibitions though; I am a very slow writer. I don't do "drafts" of anything -- I just turn over a sentence fifty times and fifty ways and don't move on until I'm satisfied (I'm talking about school papers, let alone the, like, two creative things I've ever written). Can make for an arduous process and it's problem let to many wasted hours but I'm slightly perfectionist that way I guess. It would be fun to pound away at the keyboard though and just create in a stream-of-consciousness way knowing and accepting that I'll have to go back to clean it up. On the face of it though this sounds seriously daunting to someone of my usual pace so major props and mad respect for you all for undertaking it.

Without meaning to impinge on this thread as a non-participant (this year at least), let me just wish you guys good luck. I look forward to reading your updates.

couldntbeseen.png

According to the book No Plot, No Problem, which is about this particular month-long novel writing experience, which I read about 100 pages of today, it's recommended that you don't bring your own big, preplanned novel to the table. It's almost set to fail, since the exercise is more about writing a novel within the month, and the experience of that, as opposed to writing a finely tuned novel. You're encouraged not to be a hard core editor, but rather a fast-paced writer, more focused on quantity over quality. If you bring in a very detailed, preplanned project, you're going to be over-thinking it and wanting it to be perfect.

And no that site, I'm Lord Ar-Pharazon, just like on here.

apeditname.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/82589

See the Nano stats for details. I... did not know that it was possible to write so much your whole body ached, but today I feel like I ran a marathon. Man, though, most of what I wrote yesterday is baaaaaaaaad... unsurprisingly.

That is the most I have ever done in a day. I also did my best word war count. Yay!

So yeah, I made all my personal goals. 150k, best day, best word war (1818 in 15 minutes), and one finished novel.

spsig.jpg

If I am reading that right, you wrote 47,000 words today/yesterday alone? That is insane!

You are reading it right.

Now, granted, I did around 5,000 of those after midnight, so I only wrote about 40,000 between 1pm and midnight, but...

spsig.jpg

If I am reading that right, you wrote 47,000 words today/yesterday alone? That is insane!

You are reading it right.

Mother of sons! That is prodigious. The last bar in your graph looks Barry Bonds steroid inflation-esque. Regardless of quality, just churning out that many characters in a day is pretty astounding. Well done and congratulations!

couldntbeseen.png

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, I was "that guy" with Nano this year. I had approximately 13,300 words, but I wasn't able to finish the novel.

As the month ended, I was really pissed about not finishing, considering that I really didn't even get into striking distance. In a sense, it's crazy that I basically only got about a quarter of it finished, even though it seems like I wrote a lot. It would have been nice to get even 25 or 30 thousand words. But that's okay. I might have been more pissed if I found myself 3 or 4 thousand under the mark. Though, upon further reflection, and after ranting to Tiana about it, I'm seeing a lot of silver lining.

I would have never written this much, had I not gone for it. I've also got the workings of a decent story going, with a plot, some characters and a new world. That's worth something. I also was able to see a lot of the things that held me back, so I think that next year, I will have a much better shot at getting it finished. What really killed it though, was a mid month retreat I ended up going on. I had a ton of free time and solace, but I didn't feel right using that time for this writing project. That retreat had its own goals that were important in their own way, so that was basically a wasted week right in the middle of the month. I also had a lot of family and friends coming around over the Thanksgiving week. That didn't help either. I think though, that when I eventually move away, I'll be in a better position to prioritize. I did not plan all that well, and I spent a lot of time, just sitting there, not knowing what to type, because I wasn't sure how to advance my plot. Next time around, I will plan a lot more, and at least have a clearer idea of where things were going. Obviously I won't pre-write my novel, but I will outline a bit of a path.

It was a fun month, and exciting on those few nights when I was sitting there, on a roll, and just typing away. So, I think I can do this, but I will need to prioritize better. This year was a good exercise if for nothing else, it taught me how to better get ready.

11 months and counting”¦

apeditname.jpg

As the month ended, I was really pissed about not finishing, considering that I really didn't even get into striking distance. In a sense, it's crazy that I basically only got about a quarter of it finished, even though it seems like I wrote a lot. It would have been nice to get even 25 or 30 thousand words. But that's okay. I might have been more pissed if I found myself 3 or 4 thousand under the mark. Though, upon further reflection, and after ranting to Tiana about it, I'm seeing a lot of silver lining.

Yeah, I think I would have felt the exact same way...I'd be much more frustrated if I got so close and fell just short. If you're going to miss, at least you didn't get to quite that level of emotional investment. Plus with the retreat it sounds like you had really good and understandable reasons for not doing it, so it's not a case of you just straight-up failing.

I guess what's good about this whole thing is that even if you fall short, it still gets you writing. And now you've produced something, no matter how long it is, that has value outside of the context of the contest. If it's something you really like, then you've got characters, a general plot, and a solid start for a work you can continue and bring to fruition, contest or no. And even if not, at least it's practice.

couldntbeseen.png

• 10 months later...

So, I know I am a few days late, but I just registered for this. I really want to kick the writing into high gear and this should be some good motivation/accountability. I can't guarantee that I'm going to follow through with it but I'm going to try. I've never done it before so any tips about the event, the site, etc. are more than welcome.

Anyone else going for it this year?

couldntbeseen.png

Way to , COEM! I've always wanted to go for it but have never had time... I'm thinking it would definitely involve at least a little prep-work with a partially-composed idea going in. How's it going so far?

I'd be curious as to how much work you've done beforehand, when you're finding time for writing, what are the easiest and most challenging parts, etc.

"It's always these little worlds that get you in trouble. Like Tatooine. I'm still living that one down." - Han Solo

Your barnacle has carnivorous salamanders the size of whales.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the faith we profess, for he who promised is faithful." -Heb. 10:23

Way to , COEM! I've always wanted to go for it but have never had time... I'm thinking it would definitely involve at least a little prep-work with a partially-composed idea going in. How's it going so far?

I'd be curious as to how much work you've done beforehand, when you're finding time for writing, what are the easiest and most challenging parts, etc.

Thanks, gimpy! I have to confess, there's almost zero chance I am actually going to hit 50,000 words and "win" ”” for one, I'm a terribly slow writer (that's why I'm trying it out, though: to force me to write faster and to get me to break my perfectionistic tendencies and instead just flush out words on the page). And I'm starting nearly a week late to boot. But it'll be motivation for me to at least keep writing, even if I end up falling way short.

The novel is an idea I developed over the summer; I have the concept and some basic info about characters worked out, but apart from a few scenes and major places that I want the story to end up, I have basically nothing plotted. So it will be an adventure and will hopefully help me "let go" a little bit so I at least produce something of greater length, even if it proceeds in a very free-flowing manner and I know I will have to revise massively later. I think I also tend to overwrite, so this should (in theory) help me stop scrutinizing over the most minute detail and begin to write more naturally.

Even though I have registered I still haven't done much writing yet and am at the very beginning. But I'll post parts/chapters here if/when I finish them.

The novel is called THE TROLLEY PROJECT.

couldntbeseen.png

So, I know I am a few days late, but I just registered for this. I really want to kick the writing into high gear and this should be some good motivation/accountability. I can't guarantee that I'm going to follow through with it but I'm going to try. I've never done it before so any tips about the event, the site, etc. are more than welcome.

Anyone else going for it this year?

Of course I am. I wouldn't not. I just didn't bother making a thread because of the unenthusiastic response (a la a lot of Travis) I got on another site.

COEM, you can totally do it starting a week late. Just abuse the shit out of the long weekend (you guys get one, right?) to catch up. Look at it from this point of view: you have to do 2174 words a day to make it. That's around 5-6 pages in Word in size 12 Palatino (my serif font of choice) every day.

Be bold and let go. Don't be attached to your story, let the characters tell it, and then the words will come. That is the best advice I can give. And if you can find No Plot, No Problem (the official Nanowrimo book) I highly suggest reading it. It's all about just writing the words and seeing what you get at the end. Not about writing a 'good' novel, but challenging yourself and coming out on the other side victorious.

That said, I'm only at 12k. D: That's on par but I normally am at 50k by this point. It's probably partly because I'm poking away at a book cover commission for someone and this is eating away at some of my writing time.

To all readers:

If you're the generous type, I'm trying to fundraise money to go to a Nanowrimo event. http://www.stayclassy.org/fundraise?fcid=122451

spsig.jpg

I'm poking away at a book cover commission for someone and this is eating away at some of my writing time.

If that's the one for me, no rush. I don't mind waiting. And good luck with the novel- I've never had the patience or the ability to just go with it to write a 50k-word novel in a month.

Geki1.jpg

http://www.themire.co.uk-- being a veracious and lurid account of the goings-on in the savage Mire and the sootblown alleys of Portstown's Rookery!

I'm poking away at a book cover commission for someone and this is eating away at some of my writing time.

If that's the one for me, no rush. I don't mind waiting. And good luck with the novel- I've never had the patience or the ability to just go with it to write a 50k-word novel in a month.

ADFJKFGFG CITY. But that's seriously a load off my mind, knowing that you're not sitting there going why isn't it donnnnnnnnne with no angry smiley faces because you're not a smiley face person. As long as you don't mind waiting for perfected art, sure! I will just relax and stop panicking about it until December first. It'll probably look better anyway.

spsig.jpg